3 Germans in 3rd round, possible upsets??? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

3 Germans in 3rd round, possible upsets???

Haasfan
06-25-2004, 11:25 PM
Does anybody here think that Mayer, Popp or Schuttler can really cause an upset. Popp because this is the only tournament were he ever plays well, destroying Montanes today. Schuttler because hes dangerous anyway. Mayer also looks threathening, and talented. Mayer could spring the odd upset or two if he were to progress the next few rounds.

What do you guys think???

Frooty_Bazooty
06-26-2004, 01:09 AM
Popp should definitely beat Carlsen but i cant see him beating Roddick unless he plays the match of his life which is possible as he seems to play outside himself at Wimbledon.

Schuettler should also win against Spadea but again i dont see him beating Schalken, he lost to him last year in straight sets in the 4th if i remember correctly.

Mayer could go the furthest, his draw is comparitivly easy. he could make the quarters.

Neely
06-26-2004, 01:17 AM
IMO Popp is the biggest favorite of all three German players mentioned here.
He should be able to overcome Carlsen. Come on, Popp!!! please no choking like against Clément in Halle :smash: :(
You can do it!

Schüttler vs Spadea... well, I will call this a "solvable task", but I'm not so sure about Spadea as he I always see him as a tricky opponent.
But I see a good chance for Rainer to do well here.

And Mayer vs Ferreira. Well, Mayer did very well so far, but let's not forget it's his first time he went this far and you never know how young players deal with that as a 3rd round Grand Slam match is no "routine" for him. Veteran Ferreira plays a Grand Slam for the 56th time in his career and is no stranger to that.
Of course, I see chances for Mayer, but Coria and Ferreira are two different styles and Escudé killed Mayer in Paris with his strong serve and volley game so I would be careful with predictions here as Ferreira has a similiar game and that could be difficult.
I hope for Mayer to play a good match and not have a mental letdown after his two good matches. If it's not enough at the end, he at least tried his best.

MissPovaFan
06-26-2004, 01:18 AM
hmmm I think Florian Mayer will beat Wayne Ferreira comfortably. The Popp match should be close as Carlsen is playing well but I will just go for Popp. Schuettler should comfortably beat Spadea I think. By the way, if Henman gets knocked out earlier - can we claim Popp as British like the BBC pretty much did a few years back? :D

Neely
06-26-2004, 01:21 AM
By the way, if Henman gets knocked out earlier - can we claim Popp as British like the BBC pretty much did a few years back? :D
lol, what's the background behind that? Did a reporter/commentator accidentally say that Popp is British?

MissPovaFan
06-26-2004, 01:23 AM
lol, what's the background behind that? Did a reporter/commentator accidentally say that Popp is British?

hehe nope - I think it was the year Philippoussis knocked out Henman early. The BBC found out that Popp has an English mother! They were trying to get him to change nationality and everything! The next year I think Popp did poorly so he was German again :p LOL

Neely
06-26-2004, 01:25 AM
LOL, funny story! :lol:

CooCooCachoo
06-26-2004, 05:41 AM
Mayer - Ferreira & Popp - Carlsen are great matches for the grass court tennis fan.. Like me! But it's not likely that they'll get aired (or that I'll have time to see them is they do).. :sad: I hope for Florian and Alexander to win, although I won't be sad if Kenneth makes it :)

Clara Bow
06-26-2004, 06:31 AM
Every grand slam has its big surprises. I really think that this could be the breakout year for Mayer.

User ID 4783
06-26-2004, 11:50 AM
hehe nope - I think it was the year Philippoussis knocked out Henman early. The BBC found out that Popp has an English mother! They were trying to get him to change nationality and everything! The next year I think Popp did poorly so he was German again :p LOL

lol, that's the way it goes :rolleyes: