Fed of AO07 vs now [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Fed of AO07 vs now

Halba
03-27-2008, 09:10 PM
The difference is remarkable. Just see AO 2007 fed. Absolute god on the court. could serve wherever he wanted. Absolute momentum and rhythmic, beautiful serve on first and heavy second serve kick. Did not lose a set at that AO 2007. Clean hitting off both backhand and forehand wings. Backhand not a liability. Slice dips real low as well, lots of heavy spin, "wicked" spin and angles. See his slices v youzhny match in AO 07. Can drop shot at will. Can come to net like a tiger and finish off the point with a volley to the corner. Perfect split-step and agility. Fast play- very fast moves and shot making - too fast for opposition.

Unbreakable defence. Aggressive baseline game - "take no prisoners" Fed. Where has he gone? Hope he comes back that was GOAT. He dun need coach when he finds an aggressive game, coz he is better than all coaches.

osalsyst
03-27-2008, 09:28 PM
Mono anyone? :silly:

FedFan_2007
03-27-2008, 09:43 PM
2007 AO Fed MIA.

Sunset of Age
03-27-2008, 09:47 PM
Mono, lack of training because of the aforementioned, stardom-getting-to-his-head, personal troubles... who knows.
Perhaps he's just returning to being human with the occasional slump wherein he loses a number of matches, like 99.999% of his fellow players? :shrug:

I won't lose an inch of the respect I have for the guy.

FedFan_2007
03-27-2008, 09:50 PM
Buzza - but the whole reason I became a fan in the first place was the might Fed aura winning everything in sight. Now that he's on hard times this is VERY painful.

l_mac
03-27-2008, 09:57 PM
:zzz:

I think this is only the 187th thread on Fed's decline since last weekend.

:yeah:

Sunset of Age
03-27-2008, 10:02 PM
Buzza - but the whole reason I became a fan in the first place was the might Fed aura winning everything in sight. Now that he's on hard times this is VERY painful.

So you actually believed him to be a Landing From Outer Space in stead of a mere human? :shrug:

Federerhingis
03-27-2008, 10:03 PM
Mono, lack of training because of the aforementioned, stardom-getting-to-his-head, personal troubles... who knows.
Perhaps he's just returning to being human with the occasional slump wherein he loses a number of matches, like 99.999% of his fellow players? :shrug:

I won't lose an inch of the respect I have for the guy.

I totally agree! Besides in a positive negative way this can only motivate him more, and once his body fully recovers and cooperates we should see more great playing from him. Nonetheless, the difference is remarkable, even in motivation, for example just take a look at his match against Novak in Aussie '07, he had such a look of determination and assertiveness. Novak was playing well but Federer always had a better answer. Sure Novak was not quite at the level he's been since Wimby '07.

Sunset of Age
03-27-2008, 10:07 PM
I just realize I should have included yet another possible reason for his 'slump':

"Ridiculous high expectations set upon him from the überhyping 'GOAT'-media, and even some of his 'fans'." ;)

Halba
03-27-2008, 10:07 PM
he will be back i reckon. maybe not in miami but soon. The rest of the field is getting a lot better though.

Jelena
03-27-2008, 10:08 PM
But STILL you have to have loads of respect of what he achieved on the courts of the world. It is GREAT how he could defend all the attacks of the other players to become #1 in the last years. Even when it doesn't seem like that, all the other players wanted to reach the #1-spot too. And when you are on top of whatever you can reach in your job (no matter what your job is) it is soooooo hard to NOT think unconsciously: "I'm the best, I don't need to work 110% anymore to improve." I remember I followed Roger's practice at Hamburg Masters in 2005, and it was impressive how hard he worked to improve his claycourt game.

about the word "painful": If it is painful for you to see Roger losing, then you are imho the best example for a typical bandwagoner. A bandwagoner is for me someone who is a fan of someone as long as he's winning, but in the moment someone is injured or losing you're away. A FAN is for me someone who stays with a player, no matter if he's injured, losing because he's playing bad or losing because he struggles after an injury or winning. Sure a fan also enjoys victories more than losses too, but a fan stays loyal at a player, no matter if he wins or loses. Just my honest opinion, you don't need to like it.

kobulingam
03-27-2008, 10:08 PM
IMO, he started feeling *some small* effects of the mono virus last year.

Fed complained about feeling tired at RG and before Wimbledon. He also was feeling very sick during US Open last year.

Doctors confirmed a month ago that Federer has had "serious mono" for "several months." I think he is actually VERY SATISFIED with the way he played last year. There were peaks and valleys in his game, but he managed to win 2 slams playing below par.

And I think Federer was very lucky that
1) He got a lot of rest before and during Wimbledon
2) Davydenko and Nole choked in US Open. Federer looked horrible in his last two matches there (was sweating like a pig and looked totally tired in 3rd set against Denko).

Sunset of Age
03-27-2008, 10:12 PM
A FAN is for me someone who stays with a player, no matter if he's injured, losing because he's playing bad or losing because he struggles after an injury or winning. Sure a fan also enjoys victories more than losses too, but a fan stays loyal at a player, no matter if he wins or loses. Just my honest opinion, you don't need to like it.

Fully agree, with a slight side-comment: I think a true fan should even be critical at a player at times - but only when meant in a positive way, i.e. upbuilding criticism, driven by genuine well meant feelings for said player when he does/says stupid things... but that's something entirely different than bandwagonning, indeed.

Jelena
03-27-2008, 10:18 PM
Fully agree, with a slight side-comment: I think a true fan should even be critical at a player at times - but only when meant in a positive way, i.e. upbuilding criticism, driven by genuine well meant feelings for said player when he does/says stupid things... but that's something entirely different than bandwagonning, indeed.
I didn't say you can't be critical at times. I am one of the most critical person of "my" players. And when I have the opportunity I tell the players my critics even personally in the face. But that critics need to stay game-related, not going into personal attacks. For example I once said to one of my players - though he just won his match: "You need to play loads better in the next match to get further", but I don't say about them: "This idiot is far too stupid to finish a match in a proper way" - to only say the sense of what I can read in harmless comments here. :) The players are no idiots, but people who really try hard to win a match.

Sunset of Age
03-27-2008, 10:26 PM
I didn't say you can't be critical at times. I am one of the most critical person of "my" players. And when I have the opportunity I tell the players my critics even personally in the face. But that critics need to stay game-related, not going into personal attacks. For example I once said to one of my players - though he just won his match: "You need to play loads better in the next match to get further", but I don't say about them: "This idiot is far too stupid to finish a match in a proper way" - to only say the sense of what I can read in harmless comments here. :) The players are no idiots, but people who really try hard to win a match.

I fully agree with you on this. I just thought my comment to be worth an additional mentioning, as I've experienced that at times people apparently think that being a 'fan' of a player should mean you appreciate every move that player makes - which isn't the case for me, and neither for you, which I am happy to read about in your post!

As you point out so very rightly, it of course matters in which way one delivers criticism - it's always better to do it in a polite and respectful way, as you illustrate so well.

I've once had this very funny experience with the leading member of a certain band I've been a fan of for the past 15 years - while everyone around him was fanning him on how WOOOONNNNDDDERRRFFUUULLL he and his band had performed that very evening, I went up to him and actually told him that I thought a lot of the songs were carried out too nervously, that the sound wasn't actually great either, and that his singer sounded like he had a bit of a cold. His reaction: "Wow, FINALLY someone who tells me the truth! Care for a beer, love?"
I spent the whole rest of the evening - and night - with him and a few fellow fans in the pub. :angel:
Being honest pays! :D

gnaz
03-27-2008, 10:32 PM
Mono. Look at Ancic.....

nanoman
03-27-2008, 10:39 PM
Fed sucks. The goat talk has gone to his head. His game stood still for a year. His horrible stint (despite winning some titles through opponents choking and running out of steam) after wimbledon till end of season should've have set the alarms off.
But instead of hiring a new coach to take his game to the next level, all he thinks about is how to promote himself and fill his pockets with his next exhibition with Sampr@ss.

RagingLamb
03-27-2008, 10:40 PM
what? Fed isn't as good as he used to be?

Sunset of Age
03-27-2008, 10:41 PM
But instead of hiring a new coach to take his game to the next level, all he thinks about is how to promote himself and fill his pockets with his next exhibition with Sampr@ss.

A main point of criticism I - being his fan - have directed at him lately. :angel:
PS, he doesn't 'suck' - he's merely a mortal like us all. ;)

World Beater
03-27-2008, 10:52 PM
Fed sucks. The goat talk has gone to his head. His game stood still for a year. His horrible stint (despite winning some titles through opponents choking and running out of steam) after wimbledon till end of season should've have set the alarms off.

hit the nail on the head unfortunately. He was playing defensive and crappy after canada.

Himura
03-27-2008, 11:06 PM
IMO, he started feeling *some small* effects of the mono virus last year.

Fed complained about feeling tired at RG and before Wimbledon. He also was feeling very sick during US Open last year.

Doctors confirmed a month ago that Federer has had "serious mono" for "several months." I think he is actually VERY SATISFIED with the way he played last year. There were peaks and valleys in his game, but he managed to win 2 slams playing below par.

And I think Federer was very lucky that
1) He got a lot of rest before and during Wimbledon
2) Davydenko and Nole choked in US Open. Federer looked horrible in his last two matches there (was sweating like a pig and looked totally tired in 3rd set against Denko).

Naahhh I don`t so....he played in god-mode in TMC later that year. I think he got it after that.

kobulingam
03-27-2008, 11:10 PM
Naahhh I don`t so....he played in god-mode in TMC later that year. I think he got it after that.

peaks and valleys... he did claim that he felt REALLY GREAT at TMC. I got the feeling that he felt the best he's felt in many months at that time.

It was just a lull before the storm.

Sunset of Age
03-27-2008, 11:22 PM
peaks and valleys... he did claim that he felt REALLY GREAT at TMC. I got the feeling that he felt the best he's felt in many months at that time.

It was just a lull before the storm.

Obviously, after that defeat by Gonzo (which was indeed an awesome display by Gonzo, I daresay! :worship:), Roger trashed each & everyone over there.
I highly doubt he felt anything the like thereafter.

Naranoc
03-28-2008, 12:05 AM
:zzz:

I think this is only the 187th thread on Fed's decline since last weekend.

:yeah:

I don't really know which are worse - the ones lamenting his decline or the ones that used to proclaim his greatness after every tournament. The novelty will wear off sometime...maybe.

Sunset of Age
03-28-2008, 12:13 AM
I don't really know which are worse - the ones lamenting his decline or the ones that used to proclaim his greatness after every tournament. The novelty will wear off sometime...maybe.

As long as all of them "Nole is the Next #1!"-threads appear at GM like the Plague in 16th century Europe, you shouldn't actually mind threads defending Roger appearing here either, methinks. :shrug:

Naranoc
03-28-2008, 12:44 AM
As long as all of them "Nole is the Next #1!"-threads appear at GM like the Plague in 16th century Europe, you shouldn't actually mind threads defending Roger appearing here either, methinks. :shrug:

Hmmm? I don't like the persistent Nole worshipping threads either. Besides, there are rarely any threads that "defend" Roger as such (unless you mean providing excuses after one of his losses) - only ones that either forecast his doom or remind us all that he's the GOAT.

FedFan_2007
03-28-2008, 01:02 AM
Buzza - if I were a bandwagoner I'd not be posting here. It's also discomfiting to see Rafa struggling so much.