Haas won't play in Miami [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Haas won't play in Miami

Ozon
03-26-2008, 06:37 PM
Just heard it from someone who works as a newspaper editor!
So, no match against Kiefer! :rolleyes:

betowiec
03-26-2008, 06:40 PM
ggl replaces him

Manon
03-26-2008, 06:42 PM
Jerk.

Adler
Too bad

Truc
The reason still is this sinus infection:
http://de.eurosport.yahoo.com/26032008/73/masters-miami-haas-duell-kiwi-absagen.html

arm
03-26-2008, 06:43 PM
again?? oh f*ck

Sunset of Age
Very sad news - just when he apparently got back to good form... :sad:

Get well soon, Tommy! :hug:

Yappa
And here I thought that he'd only have to deal with that illness for a few days. How wrong I was...

Deboogle!.
03-26-2008, 06:47 PM
I really don't understand how a sinus infection can be so serious. I had them all the time as a kid to the point where they even x-rayed my sinuses, but I was always fine after a couple days of antibiotics. This really is just absolutely bizarre to me.

Roland9
03-26-2008, 06:48 PM
Very sad news - just when he apparently got back to good form... :sad:

Indeed... Quite unfortunate.

Sunset of Age
03-26-2008, 06:49 PM
I really don't understand how a sinus infection can be so serious. I had them all the time as a kid to the point where they even x-rayed my sinuses, but I was always fine after a couple days of antibiotics. This really is just absolutely bizarre to me.

Like with a lot of other infections (;)), the seriousness varies from person-to-person and from case-to-case. I've had a friend struggling with it for over three weeks, and he wasn't actually a cry-baby - the infection kept on coming back a few days after treatment. Could be due to antibiotic-resistant bacteria, just to name one cause.

Fee
03-26-2008, 06:52 PM
He might be having a reaction to the meds, as well. Hard to say, especially if he isn't giving out details. I've had one very bad sinus infection in my life. I went to bed for two days, took the antibiotics and it went away fairly quickly. I was one of the lucky ones, I suppose, but I can believe that they can be more severe.

tennizen
03-26-2008, 06:53 PM
Well what a joke again. Though this time I am not as mad because he is on Rafa's side:p:lol:

osalsyst
03-26-2008, 07:07 PM
Disappointing this is. Just when he starts to play well again, he has more problems. Good luck to GGL then.

FedFan_2007
03-26-2008, 07:20 PM
So it's ok for Haas to have illness but not Federer...

*Ljubica*
03-26-2008, 07:35 PM

Trouble with sinus infections is if they spread to cause trouble for the ears as well, which can lead to balance and co-ordination problems, and nausea. I've had loads of sinus infections over the years, whch cleared up after a few days with antibiotics and no real problems, but then earlier this year I had one that spread to my "inner ear", and it took about 2 weeks to clear up. The pain was awful, and every time I tried to move I went dizzy from the pressure inside the ear- you couldn't possibly play tennis in that state :sad: I hope he gets well soon.

kiwi10is
03-26-2008, 07:39 PM
Trouble with sinus infections is if they spread to cause trouble for the ears as well, which can lead to balance and co-ordination problems, and nausea. I've had loads of sinus infections over the years, whch cleared up after a few days with antibiotics and no real problems, but then earlier this year I had one that spread to my "inner ear", and it took about 2 weeks to clear up. The pain was awful, and every time I tried to move I went dizzy from the pressure inside the ear- you couldn't possibly play tennis in that state :sad: I hope he gets well soon.

He was able to fly to Miami so his condition cannot be as bad as yours was. Still.. he is a professional tennis player. He cannot just take every medication we can take in such cases. Most of the stuff is on the doping list. Especially medication against cold and fever. So without the hard medication such an illness can be much worse than normal

*Ljubica*
03-26-2008, 08:02 PM
He was able to fly to Miami so his condition cannot be as bad as yours was. Still.. he is a professional tennis player. He cannot just take every medication we can take in such cases. Most of the stuff is on the doping list. Especially medication against cold and fever. So without the hard medication such an illness can be much worse than normal

That's true - they would not have let him fly if his ears were that badly affected -admit I hadn't thought of that. But you're right about the medication thing. A work colleague of mine has a throat infection at the moment, and because she's pregnant, she can't take normal antibiotics or medication, so it is lasting much longer than would normally be expected. Tennis players have to be so careful about everything they eat or drink these days, so probably choose not to take any meds at all just to be very sure in case of a doping test, so therefore they take longer to recover from seemingly simple things than you or I would do.

Clay Death
03-26-2008, 08:11 PM

so a Nadal vs Kiefer match looks to be in the cards now.

Deboogle!.
03-26-2008, 08:13 PM
Like with a lot of other infections (;)), the seriousness varies from person-to-person and from case-to-case. I've had a friend struggling with it for over three weeks, and he wasn't actually a cry-baby - the infection kept on coming back a few days after treatment. Could be due to antibiotic-resistant bacteria, just to name one cause.I know, I'm not stupid, it just seems bizarre that it's so serious to keep him out of two major tournaments. I'm not saying he's a faker or that he's not really suffering, but it's still bizarre to me :shrug: As far as I'm aware, the players are allowed to take antibiotics - so I can't imagine he's not taking anything, otherwise they literally take months to go away (my friend has a young son who had one that went untreated for almost a year and has affected the way he speaks), if at all. If it affected his inner ear or turned into a balance type of problem that's obviously quite different but as far as I've ever been aware, those are pretty rare. It's just a shame for him and the fans that he's pulling out of featured matches so late.

JediFed
03-26-2008, 08:41 PM
Obviously he's just faking it and is intimidated by Kiefer, just like he did with Federer! That Federer was so lucky to make the SF!

FluffyYellowBall
03-26-2008, 09:05 PM
Hes not faking, im sure. But he CAN play. Im always getting sinus infections even in summer coz m allergic to something, and yea it lasts loong. Maybe about a month to clear but I can still play. I dont play as often but he sould have played against Federer and the pull out of Miami..I guess he didnt wanna deal with critics saying hes making excuses for his loss etc..:confused:

Lee
03-26-2008, 09:09 PM
Hes not faking, im sure. But he CAN play. Im always getting sinus infections even in summer coz m allergic to something, and yea it lasts loong. Maybe about a month to clear but I can still play. I dont play as often but he sould have played against Federer and the pull out of Miami..I guess he didnt wanna deal with critics saying hes making excuses for his loss etc..:confused:

What's your ATP ranking?

leng jai
03-26-2008, 09:11 PM

Yep playing backyard tennis is the same as on the ATP playing the likes of Federer.

Shame hes not playing Miami considering his love for the event and his stellar record.

Yappa
03-26-2008, 09:17 PM
Shame hes not playing Miami considering his love for the event and his stellar record.

:D
Yes, at least he isn't losing many points. Or none at all? Last year, he lost his first match, but since he was seeded, that was in the 2nd round.

gnaz
03-26-2008, 09:18 PM
So it's ok for Haas to have illness but not Federer...

I miss the healthy Federer... I hope he comes back soon.

FeñaRuiz
03-26-2008, 10:17 PM
chicken

Bilbo
03-26-2008, 10:21 PM
told ya haas is a wimp

cobalt60
03-26-2008, 10:29 PM
The sinuses are connected to more than just the nasal passage :p So if he had inner ear trouble with this infection ( viral or bacterial) that could take days to weeks.

EDIT: oops just read Rosie's post :yeah:

Snowwy
03-26-2008, 10:31 PM
I had a sinus infection and have been somewhat sick for 3 and half weeks now. It just doesnt go away.

Sunset of Age
03-26-2008, 10:32 PM
I know, I'm not stupid, it just seems bizarre that it's so serious to keep him out of two major tournaments.

Didn't mean to imply that, if I did, then I'm sorry. Of course this must indeed be a heavy case of sinusitis, and I can only feel sorry for Haas that it happened to him right now when he seemed to be making a good comeback after his earlier injury troubles.

As far as I'm aware, the players are allowed to take antibiotics - so I can't imagine he's not taking anything, otherwise they literally take months to go away (my friend has a young son who had one that went untreated for almost a year and has affected the way he speaks), if at all. If it affected his inner ear or turned into a balance type of problem that's obviously quite different but as far as I've ever been aware, those are pretty rare. It's just a shame for him and the fans that he's pulling out of featured matches so late.

Indeed, it's rare - but it does happen at times. As far as I know - not TOO much about this particular subject I must say - players are indeed allowed to take antibiotics on a doc's advice, but what if he indeed suffers from pain and the like - he'll be needing heavy painkillers in that case, and as those are usually codeine-derivatives, they are on the banned substances-list.

It's a shame, indeed - for the fans, but most of all, for himself. Hope he gets well soon and comes back in good shape!

Fee
03-27-2008, 12:43 AM

Cool, so when did you speak to Tommy and get the specifics about his illness that the rest of us are not privvy to? Shame that he gave up those points and that prize money when he's perfectly healthy (because you know, he's approaching 30 and blowing off tournaments at this point in his career makes perfect sense).