Did Roddick attack Sprem for "taking a point" from someone? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Did Roddick attack Sprem for "taking a point" from someone?

alfonsojose
06-25-2004, 04:20 PM
This was posted on WTAworld.com. It says it's form his press conference.
I strongly disagree with him. :rolleyes:

. If you were confronted with a situation like Karolina Sprem was yesterday where your opponent got a free point due to an umpire's error, what would you have done? What's the right thing to do?

ANDY RODDICK: Personally, I'd have trouble just taking a point from someone. You know, I've heard that no one noticed and stuff, but if it's the biggest match of your life, I'm figuring you know what the score is. That just seems like that would be the case.

But I'd have a real issue just pretending like nothing was wrong and just taking the point.

SanTaureau Fan
06-25-2004, 04:22 PM
Can't you people read? Where did he attack Sprem?

He was talking about himself.

alfonsojose
06-25-2004, 04:31 PM
I'm just asking. I'm not saying he did it. But i disagree with him. You never know how would you react :shrug:

SanTaureau Fan
06-25-2004, 04:37 PM
Sorry if my reply was rude. ;) But now people on wtaworld are all over that quote and it's just silly considering it was his personnal opinion.

You don't have to agree with him. It doesn't change the fact that he didn't attack Sprem.

tangerine_dream
06-25-2004, 04:38 PM
LOL Alfonso. I don't think he was attacking Sprem, either. They posed a hypothetical question to him and he answered it.

I think this is one of those things where some people are looking for a controversy where there isn't any to begin with.

BTW, the umpire got booted from Wimbledon. :bigclap:

Umpire Who Bungled Venus Match Let Go

WIMBLEDON, England - The chair umpire who awarded an extra point to Venus Williams' opponent during her second-round loss at Wimbledon won't work another match during the tournament.

"I have now discussed the incident with the chair umpire concerned, and we have agreed it will be in the best interests of both parties if he takes no further part in the event," tournament referee Alan Mills said Friday.

The umpire's office wouldn't comment.

Ted Watts of Britain mistakenly gave Karolina Sprem a point she didn't earn in the final tiebreaker of Thursday night's 7-6 (5), 7-6 (6) upset of Williams, the 2000-01 Wimbledon champion.

The error made it 2-2 in the tiebreaker. Williams then built a 6-3 edge, but she lost the next five points for her earliest loss at the All England Club since her 1997 debut.

"I'd like to think he didn't do it on purpose," Williams said. "I don't think one call makes a match."

She led the tiebreaker 2-1 when Sprem hit a first serve ruled wide by the line judge, who put her arm out and shouted, "Fault!" Williams casually hit the ball over the net, and Sprem smacked a backhand into the open court. Williams stood still at the baseline, figuring it was time for a second serve.

But Watts announced the score as 2-2, the sort of mistake that occurs every so often but generally is noticed right away by one of the players or another on-court official.

With the players apparently unaware Sprem received a point she shouldn't have, they lined up again in the same positions for what both thought was a second serve. Indeed, Sprem put a safe offering in, and Williams laced a backhand return winner. That should have made it 3-1 for Williams, but Watts called it 3-2.

"Unfortunately, the way it happened, Venus didn't query it at the time," Mills said. "They played point after point afterward, and the result, I'm afraid, stands as is."

Other top players thought Williams or Sprem should have questioned the call.

Serena Williams, who said she didn't watch her sister's match, questioned why Sprem didn't acknowledge the error at the time.

"As a competitor and as a professional, you should be able to distinguish between right and wrong," said the two-time defending champion. "I've never been in a situation like that before. I'm an honest individual. If I were in that situation, I know I'd make the right choice."

Andy Roddick, seeded No. 2 in the men's draw, said both players and all the officials were partly responsible.

"Something like that shouldn't happen at a tournament of this magnitude," he said.

"Personally, I'd have trouble just taking a point from someone," he added. "I've heard that no one noticed and stuff, but if it's the biggest match of your life, I figure you know what the score is. ... I'd have a real issue just pretending like nothing was wrong and just taking the point."

Of Williams, he said: "I'm sure we've all forgotten the score from time to time, but I don't know in a tiebreaker on Centre Court at Wimbledon if I was threatening to be on my way out, if I'd forget it."

Sprem said Thursday she was confused but was focusing on the match.

Buddy
06-25-2004, 04:38 PM
No matter what thing are different on court and off court... many a times we can easily comment on things that happen on court, when we're watching from the outside... but it could have happened when we were in court....

*Ljubica*
06-25-2004, 05:06 PM
No matter what thing are different on court and off court... many a times we can easily comment on things that happen on court, when we're watching from the outside... but it could have happened when we were in court....

I agree - I saw an interview with Venus last night and she said she didn't query the call because she often loses track of the score when playing. I certainly don't think Karolina was being unsporting - it was just an unfortunate incident and Venus certainly behaved brilliantly and handled herself really, really well - I've never been a fan of hers but she has certainly gone up in my estimation over this. And as for Andy "having trouble taking a point off someone" - guess all the Andy fans will attack me now, but I have often seen players concede a point if they think a linecall in their favour was incorrect - it is the sporting thing to do - but Andy is not one of them in my experience! So I think his comments are a little riseable here :)

star
06-25-2004, 05:12 PM
Yeah. I can see where you wouldn't follow Andy that closely to notice whether he gives points to his opponents. But Andy has done that and his fans have commented on it at the time he did it too. There have even been posts on this board about it.

But, you know, I wouldn't know if David did or didn't conceed points to an opponent either because I don't follow him that closely. :)

Gonzo Hates Me!
06-25-2004, 05:28 PM
Alfonso, i dont know what Andy's talking about. Carnival Carnage made a good point, that Venus had to act like she didnt care in her press conference because she was spacey not to notice herself. Everyone was just spacey yesterday. I would like to say to Andy, Sprem was spacey. Venus was spacey. The umpire was spacey. Everyone was spacey. Sprem didnt just "take a point," everyone on that court was just braindead, not just Sprem. She didnt do anything sketchy because everyone was mutually ditzy

Deboogle!.
06-25-2004, 05:29 PM
hm let's post all the quotes and not just some :) Oh and I have personally, at matches I have attended, witnessed Andy being very fair and giving back first serves and points and aces and stuff to his opponents several times, probably three or four in just the 7 or so matches of his I've seen.

-------
Q. If you were confronted with a situation like Karolina Sprem was yesterday where your opponent got a free point due to an umpire's error, what would you have done? What's the right thing to do?

ANDY RODDICK: Personally, I'd have trouble just taking a point from someone. You know, I've heard that no one noticed and stuff, but if it's the biggest match of your life, I'm figuring you know what the score is. That just seems like that would be the case.

But I'd have a real issue just pretending like nothing was wrong and just taking the point.

Q. What do you think should be done with regard to the umpire who made that call?

ANDY RODDICK: That's not my issue. You know, obviously, you know, if players make mistakes and go over the line, then they get punished. So maybe it should be the same for umpires. But, you know, I mean, we all make mistakes. You'd hope that it's not on Centre Court at Wimbledon. If this had happened on Court 13 with a qualifier playing qualifier, we probably would never have heard of it.

You know, it's just unfortunate for him that it happened on a pretty big stage when someone was on the verge of an upset.

--------------

Q. What were your thoughts for Venus Williams, to have that sort of break against her?

ANDY RODDICK: I thought she handled it with a lot of class. I mean, I don't know what I would have done in that situation. Probably wouldn't have been pretty. But I think she was great about when it did happen. I think she was great afterwards, from what I've read, just saying, "Regardless, I'm still up 6-3."

I mean, I definitely have to respect the way she handled it. I mean, it's unfortunate. You know, probably behind the scenes she wants to kick someone. But, you know, I think it was pretty graceful the way she went about things.

Q. Were you surprised she didn't question the score? She obviously looked like, "Wait a minute, something is not right." She said later probably she did know something was wrong but she figured since no one was saying anything, she must have lost track of the score.

ANDY RODDICK: I can understand that maybe. I mean, I still think I'd like to know the score. But if everyone else is just going along with it, you know, obviously doubt creeps into your mind that, "Maybe I just spaced out." Then you have to face the question, "Am I really embarrassed if I ask if it's 3-1 and it's 3-2?"

I don't know. I've never been in that situation. Hopefully I won't have to be.

Q. Even more amazing was that the linesman that called the first serve out didn't get up and go to the chair and say, "I called that out, it wasn't a point."

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, I don't know. There's a lot of scenarios. Something like that probably shouldn't happen at a tournament of this magnitude, but it did. You know, I guess that's that.

Q. Do you lose track of the score ever or are you pretty focused on that while you're playing?

ANDY RODDICK: I like to think in a tiebreaker I'd know what the score was. I don't recall. I'm sure we've all forgotten the score from time to time. But I don't know in a tiebreaker on Centre Court at Wimbledon if I was threatening to be on my way out, if I'd forget it. That seems to be something that would be on my mind.

Pea
06-25-2004, 05:40 PM
What a dumbfuck! rodduck......:haha:

Eve83
06-25-2004, 05:50 PM
You know I am a big Andy fan (by the way it was me who posted this on the WTA board), but Iīll repeat my words here: Though itīs his sight and he was being asked what he WOULD have done in that situation, he clearly accused Sprem of cheating and being unfair. I hate to say this since Andy is a very fair player, but he really didnīt have the right to do this.

but if it's the biggest match of your life, I'm figuring you know what the score is. That just seems like that would be the case.

He is cleary talking about Sprem, bottom line. How does he know what was going on in Spremīs mind???

I am sorry Andy, as much as I like you...but your words suck big time! This has to be seen in a objective way.

star
06-25-2004, 05:52 PM
Isn't Andy actually refering to both players? He also said he wouldn't forget the score if he was about to go out of the tournament.

CooCooCachoo
06-25-2004, 05:55 PM
It seems like a hidden reproach rather than an attack to me.. But what he thinks is basically what everyone else thinks about it.

star
06-25-2004, 05:57 PM
Alfonso, i dont know what Andy's talking about. Carnival Carnage made a good point, that Venus had to act like she didnt care in her press conference because she was spacey not to notice herself. Everyone was just spacey yesterday. I would like to say to Andy, Sprem was spacey. Venus was spacey. The umpire was spacey. Everyone was spacey. Sprem didnt just "take a point," everyone on that court was just braindead, not just Sprem. She didnt do anything sketchy because everyone was mutually ditzy

Thats how it appeared to me at the time. EVERYONE was out of it. The lines people too. The crowd too. Cliffy picked up on it though just as soon as the umpire called the score. He murmered "Oh no."

Bottom line is that we will never know what either Venus or Sprem was actually thinking. From watching all of the stuff yesterday, sometimes I thought that both of them were confused and unaware, and sometimes I have thought that both of them did know that something was wrong and chose for their own separate reasons not to say something. I can't make heads or tails of it, and I don't think anyone who isn't a confidant of both girls and the umpire will ever know for sure the whole truth.

Deboogle!.
06-25-2004, 05:58 PM
totally agreed star....

but I'm still failing to see where Andy "attacked" Sprem...He's saying if it were HIM he'd like to think he'd know the score. He didn't say she intentionally cheated. That or I'm just reading it differently :)

SanTaureau Fan
06-25-2004, 05:59 PM
But the question was about himself. :scratch: ("If you were confronted with a situation like Karolina Sprem was...")

He didn't accuse Sprem of cheating sheesh. Isn't that hard to see that a journalist asked that question to Roddick to write controversial articles later? :scratch:

I'm not defending him because it's Roddick, but I fail the point to dissect an interview and take a sentence out of context to start drama and controversy...

star
06-25-2004, 06:00 PM
It seems like a hidden reproach rather than an attack to me.. But what he thinks is basically what everyone else thinks about it.

You mean: "How could that happen without SOMEBODY saying something?"

Cause that's how I feel about it. :)

Eve83
06-25-2004, 06:03 PM
Isn't Andy actually refering to both players? He also said he wouldn't forget the score if he was about to go out of the tournament.

Actually I donīt really think that this was Venus "biggest match of your life". He clearly refers to Sprem and the other sentences confirm it, though he uses the words "personally" and "would".

"Personally, I'd have trouble just taking a point from someone,
[....]I'd have a real issue just pretending like nothing was wrong and just taking the point."

He basically says Sprem took the point to her favour.

alfonsojose
06-25-2004, 06:04 PM
You know I am a big Andy fan (by the way it was me who posted this on the WTA board), but Iīll repeat my words here: Though itīs his sight and he was being asked what he WOULD have done in that situation, he clearly accused Sprem of cheating and being unfair. I hate to say this since Andy is a very fair player, but he really didnīt have the right to do this.

He is cleary talking about Sprem, bottom line. How does he know what was going on in Spremīs mind???

I am sorry Andy, as much as I like you...but your words suck big time! This has to be seen in a objective way.

I agree with you. And, of course, Serena is trashing Sprem :

``As a competitor and as a professional, you should be able to distinguish between right and wrong,'' said the two-time defending champion. ``I've never been in a situation like that before. I'm an honest individual. If I were in that situation, I know I'd make the right choice.''

(Serena is so humble :rolleyes:, Where is Juju and her "hand" :wavey: when u need it :lol: )
This is from yahoo. The umpire was "upset" from Wimbledon

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpNDU1cml1BF9TAzk1ODYyNTg0BHNlYwN0 aA--?slug=ap-wimbledon-umpireout&prov=ap&type=lgns

SanTaureau Fan
06-25-2004, 06:07 PM
That's probably because in his mind when he plays a tie-break, he always knows what the score is. Which is why he felt he would take a point away from the opponent if he would pretend like nothing was wrong.

It's a post-match interview, the use of the words "personnaly" and such clearly shows that he's talking about himself. Maybe he didn't phrase it the best possible way, but there is no "Edit" button on what you say during a post-match interview.

And, again, are we that desesperate for controversy? Because quite franckly this is ridiculous beyond words.

Eve83
06-25-2004, 06:08 PM
totally agreed star....

but I'm still failing to see where Andy "attacked" Sprem...He's saying if it were HIM he'd like to think he'd know the score. He didn't say she intentionally cheated. That or I'm just reading it differently :)

As much as I like you Bunk, I think you are really reading it differently. I know itīs his opinion, if he gets into such a situation, but the way he says it is pretty biased, itīs obvious that he thinks that Sprem was cheating, otherwise his words wouldnīt have made much sense at all.

star
06-25-2004, 06:17 PM
Actually I donīt really think that this was Venus "biggest match of your life". He clearly refers to Sprem and the other sentences confirm it, though he uses the words "personally" and "would".

[....]I'd have a real issue just pretending like nothing was wrong and just taking the point."

Or maybe he is saying she didn't. For instance it could be he doesn't see how she wouldn't know the score but on the other hand he doesn't see how she would just pretend nothing was wrong because he wouldn't do that.

It seems to me that he is a perplexed as everyone else.

But you know what, I don't know the guy. You might be right. I might be right. I guess we won't know unless he says something else.

Gonzo Hates Me!
06-25-2004, 06:18 PM
Eve, I dont think he really is displaying Sprem as a cheat! He just 'initially' felt like, what, how can she just "take a point?" I dont think it registered to him that everyone was kinda spaced out. If you read the rest of the interview that Bunk posted, his bias seems to go away. I am sure he is just as perplexed as everyone else

I do admit what he says is kinda mean. If I were Sprem reading that, something like that would make me want to tell him off.

I dont like how Andy says "take a point". That bothers me

But I just think it registered to him late in the interview that's it's not a question of how she could let something like that happen?, but that nobody said anything--everyone was braindead

...now I am curious if other players got interviewed about this. I mean, of course people will only pay attention to Andy's comments. He cant say anything. Aie!

star
06-25-2004, 06:20 PM

He clearly refers to Sprem in one part of his comments and he clearly refers to Venus in another part. He doesn't see how you would lose the score if it was the biggest match of your life, and he doesn't see how you would lose the score if you were about to be ejected from the tournament.

Deboogle!.
06-25-2004, 06:20 PM
Whoever said this conversation is ridiculous, I agree. I mean.... it's just a matter of interpretation of what Andy said. I took it as Andy saying he would have been more conscious of the score and I also took what he said to say that it was all just unfortunate and that no one is to blame. Not once did he say she was cheating.

...now I am curious if other players got interviewed about this. I mean, of course people will only pay attention to Andy's comments. He cant say anything. Aie!

Yes, that's why this discussion is completely pointless. Because NO MATTER WHAT Andy would have said, it would've been attacked here.

So have a good afternoon all! :wavey:

Eve83
06-25-2004, 06:21 PM
Or maybe he is saying she didn't. For instance it could be he doesn't see how she wouldn't know the score but on the other hand he doesn't see how she would just pretend nothing was wrong because he wouldn't do that.

It seems to me that he is a perplexed as everyone else.

But you know what, I don't know the guy. You might be right. I might be right. I guess we won't know unless he says something else.

Guess, youīre right...Andy should kill me for not being loyal at all as a fan;).

Go play well Andy (but please shut up if it comes to controversial matters)

star
06-25-2004, 06:24 PM
Guess, youīre right...Andy should kill me for not being loyal at all as a fan;).

:confused: Did I say something about your not being a loyal fan?

I don't really think loyality is an issue. You percieve things one way and I percieve them another. I've given reasons for my view, and you've given reasons for your view.

I don't think either view is unreasonable.

As I said, I could be wrong, that's just the way I saw it.

andyroxmysox12191
06-25-2004, 06:56 PM
um...can i add something? lol
andy didn't see the match, he just read articles on it cause he says somewhere in something (forgetting right now) "from what i've read" so he just based what happened on the article or whatever he may have read and then he probably saw what happened on those many replays of it.
articles and watching the match are two different things. you get a different point of view from an article than you do from watching the match or that might just be with me cause i read things differently. .......this doesnt make sense :(
bottom line..i don't think andy was "attacking" or "accusing" sprem of anything. as everyone else has said, it was a question TO him and about HIM rather than about SPREM so he gave HIS OWN opinion on what he would've done. and i'm not defending him just cause i'm an andy fan. it's also my own opinion on what everyone is saying about this "attacking" to sprem.

good day all :)

Fumus
06-25-2004, 07:30 PM
What a dumbfuck! rodduck......:haha:

Wow...you are soo articulate. Are you just making that comment in general or is that in response to what Roddick said? Roddick is saying what he would have done and I think everyone in here(even non-Roddick fans) agrees with that. They may or may not agree with what he said but, atleast they see he wasn't attacking anyone or making random comments about people...

Why do you make comments like this? Is this to piss people off or start a fight? Pea, I can't remember the last time I saw you contribute to a thread. GWH, Sjengster, Rebecca, and Dirk yea they bash people but they contribute. What do you do?

YoursTruly
06-25-2004, 07:32 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if someone was that unaware like in a tight and tense match like that. Remember the old saying, "Don't play the score...just play the ball?" I guess every party in that match was really following that! :lol:

Fumus
06-25-2004, 07:33 PM

He was asked!! :) lol :rolleyes:

Leo
06-25-2004, 07:40 PM
That's unfair to say she took a point from Venus. And I don't think Roddick should presume to know how others feel and think on the court during the biggest match of his/her life. :rolleyes:

MissPovaFan
06-25-2004, 08:06 PM
The umpire was obviously in the wrong but in the rules it states that the players must challenge this - neither of them did so thats the end of that really.

rue
06-25-2004, 08:42 PM
Andy did make a point saying that especially if you are at a crucial point in the match you really would not forget the points because you are thinking about that and about winning. It is not right to blame venus or karolina. It was a mistake that happened with the umpire and there is nothing that can be done to change that.

Vass
06-25-2004, 09:03 PM
I think that Sprem perfectly knew that the umpire called it wrong. She got frustrated and even kicked the ball into the opposite court, which confused the umpire. It was almost impossible that she didn't pay attention to the score, especially in the tie break. Plus she knew that she had to play the second serve, unless she thought that it was a double-foult she hit...

alfonsojose
06-25-2004, 09:32 PM
Go Sprem :yeah: Hope u win your next match :tape:

naiwen
06-25-2004, 09:45 PM
Can't you people read? Where did he attack Sprem?

He was talking about himself.

:devil: He's talking about Henin. :devil:

CarnivalCarnage
06-25-2004, 09:49 PM
I think that Sprem perfectly knew that the umpire called it wrong. She got frustrated and even kicked the ball into the opposite court, which confused the umpire. It was almost impossible that she didn't pay attention to the score, especially in the tie break. Plus she knew that she had to play the second serve, unless she thought that it was a double-foult she hit...

She kicked the ball??? She hit a backhand into the court off Venus' return of her missed serve. That's what confused the umpire.

And you're saying she knew ... nothing but conjecture. You don't know. If Venus didn't know, and the umpire didn't know, how the hell can you say with such certainty than Sprem did?

Havok
06-25-2004, 10:32 PM
Why am I not surprised that Pea posted in here. Has Pea ever posted anywhere else that wasn't somehow Roddick related :scared: I think someone has a fetish. and again people need to read the full interviews, it was a hypothetical question and he was talking about it as if he were in that position. Did he mention Sprem's name or Venus' for that matter? no so blah. and we all know the media likes to create something out of nothing:) and star spot on about that other topic, you know what i mean;)

Havok
06-25-2004, 10:34 PM
:devil: He's talking about Henin. :devil:
:haha::haha:

Pea
06-26-2004, 02:30 AM
Why am I not surprised that Pea posted in here. Has Pea ever posted anywhere else that wasn't somehow Roddick related :scared: I think someone has a fetish. and again people need to read the full interviews, it was a hypothetical question and he was talking about it as if he were in that position. Did he mention Sprem's name or Venus' for that matter? no so blah. and we all know the media likes to create something out of nothing:) and star spot on about that other topic, you know what i mean;)

Nice to be noticed. Catch you in the next thread. ;)

Again, read his interview over. He talked about something that he did not even SEE.

tennischick
06-26-2004, 06:49 AM
Duckboy should have known better than to comment on a WTA MATCH that he did NOT see. i'm sure that Brad told him that he messed up by commenting on something so controversial. i am honestly surprised by the Duck's lack of media savvy. but now that the media are all over his comments, i think that he will think twice the next tme before opening his flap.

JeLuliA88
06-26-2004, 11:02 AM
Most people say they wouldn't take the point and that they're uncomfortable with it, but you never know what happens in a match. When you are really desperate, you sometimes take any free points you can get.

Eve83
06-26-2004, 11:13 AM
Duckboy should have known better than to comment on a WTA MATCH that he did NOT see. i'm sure that Brad told him that he messed up by commenting on something so controversial. i am honestly surprised by the Duck's lack of media savvy. but now that the media are all over his comments, i think that he will think twice the next tme before opening his flap.

No, Brad stated in his "daily reports" that he thought it was really weird that no one (not even the players) noticed, thatīs it. I think that Roddick may have thought about it too much and really thought that Sprem knew about the wrong point...Iīm pretty sure that he will be asked again today after his match, because of all the critisism he and Serena got after their interviews and he will definetly apoligize or whatever...at least I hope so.

SanTaureau Fan
06-26-2004, 12:39 PM
I doubt he would apologize as he said nothing wrong. :awww:

star
06-26-2004, 01:16 PM
Most people say they wouldn't take the point and that they're uncomfortable with it, but you never know what happens in a match. When you are really desperate, you sometimes take any free points you can get.

I know. I thought that the people who said that were a little disingenuous. Players take points they know they shouldn't have all the time when they believe that a ball that was in was called out.

Anyway the whole thing was so odd. It's like everyone on the court and in the crowd was paralyzed. I really think the players didn't register the "2 all" call because Sprem just went ahead and played a second serve like nothing had happened. It was when the score was called "3-2" that the players started to look confused.

gina_
06-26-2004, 01:18 PM
It's definitely more of a personal opinion than an attack. Get over it!

liptea
06-26-2004, 06:41 PM
Poor Sprem though. She's taking a lot of heat about this.

You know how sometimes...you think you know something but you're not sure? I mean, if they had been wrong, they would have looked pretty stupid. Maybe they didn't want to be embarrassed.

Just trying to explain it away.... ;)

Lee
06-27-2004, 06:14 AM
I don't think both players noticed that the umpire made a mistake after the first serve fault. They were concentrating on the point and Sprem went on to serve her 2nd serve and Venus prepare for the return. It's after Sprem lost the point and the umpire called 2-3 that the players showed signs of confusion. Since Venus said nothing, it's pretty normal for Sprem to say nothing too as both were probably not sure what's wrong.

Toppu
06-27-2004, 03:52 PM
The match was just too tight, the players were too excited during that tie-break and needed to be focused. SO it was like the chair umpire was giving Sprem a break-back-point and noone noticed the wrongdoing until the match ended.

I don't like when they were asking question like this because it can lead to misunderstanding. And I'm quite sure if Andy was Venus, that chair umpire would have been in deep trouble.

tennischick
06-27-2004, 05:52 PM
Duckboy should have known better than to be baited by the media into commenting directly or indirectly on this "controversy". i'm sure he won't let him make the same mistake in the future.

Denise
06-27-2004, 06:27 PM
Great question to Roddick. Btw, I think Sprem has been playin' pretty well, doesn't she?? I watched the match against Venus and she seems very secure, confident... with a great shot, strong one, incrediably, a great teacher to watch, as though Sharapova... I'd like to see both in the wimbly final. I dunno if it's possible 'cause of the draw, but...it'd be a awsome surprise!!

bye bye

alfonsojose
06-28-2004, 03:31 AM
This is from Karolina Sprem conference Sunday

Q. You have had a little bit of criticism from both Serena and Andy Roddick over the point during the tiebreak...

KAROLINA SPREM: I don't care. I don't care. This is behind me.

Q. Did that upset you slightly or not?

KAROLINA SPREM: A little bit, yeah, because ‑ I don't know. Because in this situation, like I say, I didn't know what to do. And I was like confused. I didn't know what's happening. I had like ‑‑ if I didn't know was the score, then maybe she know. But if she didn't know, then umpire supposed to know but...

Q. And he obviously has subsequently lost his job. So there's obviously some blame there with the umpire anyway.

KAROLINA SPREM: Bad luck for him. But we have so many people in the court and they need to know the score, not me in this moment. It was really big moment for me, and I didn't think about this.

So this is behind me, and I don't want to talk about it.

Q. It obviously made you a little bit angry, though, did it? Has that helped to spur you on a little bit today? Has it helped you today, because it obviously left you a little bit angry?

KAROLINA SPREM: No, I'm not angry. That's for sure. No, why? I don't have reason to be angry.

Q. No? Even with Roddick? I thought it was rather strange that he would get involved. Serena, obviously, because it was her sister, but for Roddick to say something...

KAROLINA SPREM: I don't have problem with this. I don't want to talk about him and about Serena.

Go ahead, Karolina :yeah:

Andy :rolleyes:

Lalitha
06-28-2004, 07:05 AM
Why did they pulled Roddick into this? - Sometimes I hate press.

But at the same time, I don't think that Karolina was being unsporting like.

Chloe le Bopper
06-28-2004, 08:57 AM
The press baited him, but there was no gun to his head forcing him to reply. Hopefully he learns from this, as TC said.

Experimentee
06-28-2004, 09:12 AM
Even if Roddick was specifically accusing Sprem, he has a right to his opinion. Its true that he cant know what was going on in Sprem's head, but neither can anyone who claims that Sprem is innocent. We're all entitled to believe what we want based on the facts. Personally it looked very much like she knew something was wrong, but didnt question it because she knew whatever it was happened in her favour.

Chloe le Bopper
06-28-2004, 09:53 AM
I don't think that anybody doubted the fact that he's entitled to his opinion. By virtue of sharing said opinion, one leaves themselves open to criticism. In no way does said criticism violate his right to say what he pleases. With rights comes responsibility... you can say what you want, but you have to take responsibility for it ;)

tennischick
06-28-2004, 09:55 AM
including the responsibility for looking like a complete idiot bec you allowed the media to bait you. i agree completely.

SanTaureau Fan
06-28-2004, 02:04 PM
He didn't allow the medias to bait him, he just answered a question about himself (if he would face the situation Sprem faced).

It's funny because the journalist suggests Roddick "got involved":

Q. No? Even with Roddick? I thought it was rather strange that he would get involved. Serena, obviously, because it was her sister, but for Roddick to say something...

How on earth did he get involved? All he did was answering a question in a press conference about himself.

I do think he should take responsability of what he said, but he shouldn't have to take the responsability of what he DIDN'T say. If medias read too much into what he said to write articles about his comments, it's not his problem.

Besides, I'm sure he never thought for a second his comments would have a signifiance and that some medias would jump on them. If you read the complete interview (not just that part), there's nothing wrong or offensive with it.

Anyone reasonnable would see that it's the most insignificant controversy tennis ever seen in the last couple of years. Thanks for the American medias doing everything possible to blow it out of proportion and uglyly find a way to involve Roddick in it.

Havok
06-28-2004, 03:24 PM
But didn't Andy reply to the point situation if HE was put into that position himself :scratch: nowhere did i see SPREM or VENUS' name come out of his mouth while he said anything about this point situation.

tennischick
06-28-2004, 03:56 PM
don't be naive Naldo. he knew exactly what he was commenting on. he didn't have to call Sprem's or Venus' name for it to be clear what he was referring to. and by opening his flap when he should have kept it shut, he got himself drawn into a controversy that is none of his business. and i'm sure that he will not make that mistake again. hopefully he's nt as dense as some of his defenders.

SanTaureau Fan
06-28-2004, 04:19 PM
There is no reason why he shouldn't have spoken, because he answered questions of a post-match interview, which are required for every player.

So, no, he didn't draw himself into the controversy, medias are the one who did it, isolating an answer from a normal post-match interview and extrapolating on what he said (about himself).

Take any player, ask him a couple of questions on a controversial subject, you can easily extrapolate a bit on what he'll say and blow out in proportions an insignificant incident. This is no different than a bad call during a match, and it happens all the time.

alfonsojose
06-28-2004, 08:19 PM
Andy .... learn something :rolleyes:

Lindsay :worship: , as always

Today press conference

Q. Have you ever lost track of the score?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: No (smiling).

Q. Do you believe a top player can lose track of the score?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: You know, it's not so much the score. I think how you could possibly fathom playing a tiebreak without returning from the other side, I think that that would automatically click in. I mean, whether or not you know the score, if it's 1‑3 or 2‑All, I can maybe see that happening. It wouldn't happen, but I wouldn't return a point from the ad side, then go serve to the ad side. I would stop and ask. I would know that wasn't right.

Q. What did you think Sprem should have done in that situation?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: You know, I really think it's Venus' call. I mean, she was the one who was going to serve, you know, the next one, when the guy called the score. I think that if you're about to serve, you've got to ‑‑ I don't know. I don't want to put the blame on anybody. I know what would have happened.

But you just have to take responsibility for yourself.

Q. What about the linesman? Nobody got up and went up to the umpire and said, "Hello."

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I think that everyone was just a little stunned, and it just happened so fast. I don't know. It was bizarre.

But then Lindsay said this :tape: . Well, i guess there's no discussion about it. But Lindsay, she beat u at RG :eek:

... There's no glaring weakness, maybe like, you know, Dementieva. You know that her serve, she needs so much help. ..

Eve83
06-28-2004, 08:23 PM
But then Lindsay said this :tape: . Well, i guess there's no discussion about it. But Lindsay, she beat u at RG :eek:

... There's no glaring weakness, maybe like, you know, Dementieva. You know that her serve, she needs so much help. ..

Well, at least this is true and a fact.

SanTaureau Fan
06-28-2004, 08:59 PM
Q. Have you ever lost track of the score?
Q. Do you believe a top player can lose track of the score?
Q. What did you think Sprem should have done in that situation?
Q. What about the linesman? Nobody got up and went up to the umpire and said, "Hello."

Can't they just get over it?

SanTaureau Fan
06-28-2004, 09:05 PM
Anyway I'm terrible bored by this now and since no one answered my points in my last 2 posts, I'm done with this thread. ;)

alfonsojose
06-28-2004, 09:32 PM
Personally, I'd have trouble just taking a point from someone

Hi, Andy This Andy That. I think this sentence is the real issue. He's not saying "i would do this","i wouldn't do that". When he says taking a point from someone, he's clearly saying Sprem did that.

SanTaureau Fan
06-28-2004, 09:41 PM
Hi, Andy This Andy That. I think this sentence is the real issue. He's not saying "i would do this","i wouldn't do that". When he says taking a point from someone, he's clearly saying Sprem did that.

Like I said, he personnaly feels that when he plays a tie-break, he always knows what the score is.

So isn't it logical that he says: "Personally, I'd have trouble just taking a point from someone."

Basically, he would feel he would have trouble taking a point from someone, because he would have known that there was something wrong with the score, as he always keeps track of the score during the tie-break.

Aren't the words "personnaly" and "I" enough :confused:

That people assume Roddick is accusing Sprem on that sentence is an extrapolation.

tennischick
06-29-2004, 12:48 AM
roll:fucking:eyes :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Chloe le Bopper
07-02-2004, 10:19 PM
Wow...you are soo articulate. Are you just making that comment in general or is that in response to what Roddick said? Roddick is saying what he would have done and I think everyone in here(even non-Roddick fans) agrees with that. They may or may not agree with what he said but, atleast they see he wasn't attacking anyone or making random comments about people...

Why do you make comments like this? Is this to piss people off or start a fight? Pea, I can't remember the last time I saw you contribute to a thread. GWH, Sjengster, Rebecca, and Dirk yea they bash people but they contribute. What do you do?
I actually don't really bash players. Posters just claim that because I don't make an effort to hide my likes and dislikes, and generally, I post very honest opinions. Then somebody will seem me say something like "Roddick is not the best player that has ever lived", and this is somehow twisted and interpreted as a "bash".

That isn't to say that I never have bashed... jsut that I do it so irregularly that it's almost not worth mentioning.

wongqks
07-02-2004, 10:26 PM
That is coming from a person who had a record of outburst before (remember US Open against Hewitt anyone?) :rolleyes:

papasmurf11
07-02-2004, 10:37 PM
Theres nothing wrong with what he said hes just stating his opinion. Woul you rather him lie?