Flip takes out Verkerk 46 63 76 75 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Flip takes out Verkerk 46 63 76 75

Tennis Fool
06-25-2004, 01:54 PM
Philippoussis on a mission...Does anyone smell a Flip/Henman Rd of 16???

Deboogle!.
06-25-2004, 02:23 PM
FLIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woohoo: :aparty: :yippee: :bounce: :worship: :smooch: :dance:

Neely
06-25-2004, 02:27 PM
I like Verkerk also :sad:

but the more I'm happy for Mark that he wins some matches now. Sure is Verkerk not that dangerous on grass, but still a good result for Mark and a well-needed confidence booster.

Well done, Scud! :worship:
go on!!!! :yeah:

flip_fan
what a match!!!

well done mark, an amazing fight to avoid a fifth set!!

*Ljubica*
Admit I didn't see all of this match, but what I saw just epitomised everything I hate about grass court tennis - just big serve, after big serve, after big serve :devil: Most people here will know I'm not a fan of Coria, but at least his match with Mayer embodied so many different shots and styles and was much more entertaining to watch imo.

Neely
06-25-2004, 02:44 PM
exactly Rosie, from what I've seen in the few games German TV televised from this match, Mayer and Coria showed some nice baseline variation and some great stuff as Mayer is also not the natural born serve and volley player and he primarily tries winning the points from the baseline.

And the commentator has mentioned something that the average time of an exchange in their match was almost 5 seconds (between 4 and 5 seconds).

Tennis Fool
06-25-2004, 02:52 PM
Well you guys know its all fast-break tennis starring:

Roddick and Dent
Flip and Gonzo
Hrbaty and Ancic

:devil:

jeanie_sin
06-25-2004, 03:21 PM
:bounce: :bounce:

azza
06-25-2004, 04:20 PM
Mark :woohoo: but vs Gonzo :crying2:

RogiFan88
06-25-2004, 05:18 PM
finally flip plays well when he should!!

Gonzo Hates Me!
06-25-2004, 05:21 PM
Gonzo will upset Mark in a Wimbledon shocker :D ... 'cause I say so, go Fene!!!

*Ljubica*
06-25-2004, 06:01 PM
Gonzo will upset Mark in a Wimbledon shocker :D ... 'cause I say so, go Fene!!!

I'm definately with you on that one!! VAMOS GONZALEZ!

Snoopy_Girl
06-25-2004, 07:02 PM
Gonzo will upset Mark in a Wimbledon shocker :D ... 'cause I say so, go Fene!!!That wouldn't be too much of a shocker looking at Marks year up till Wimby ;) :p

rue
06-25-2004, 08:45 PM
He is real serious and as he said last year one day he will win Wimbledon, so pple should take that seriously especially if he continues to win like he has been.

MissPovaFan
06-25-2004, 09:10 PM
Philippoussis on a mission...Does anyone smell a Flip/Henman Rd of 16???

I am certainly smelling it :p But I think Tim has enough to beat Philippoussis to be honest.

flip_fan
06-25-2004, 09:34 PM
no way! If mark gets through to play tim i expect a cracker of a match from mark. Similar to last yr when he played agassi in the 4th. No one really expected mark to win but he found his feet and played beautifully. Mark loves big atmosphere games, and when he's given the 'underdog' tag. If there ever was a player to upset henman this yr, it would be philippoussis! I just hope he gets through gonzalez in straight sets.

Gonzo Hates Me!
06-25-2004, 09:57 PM
I think Gonzo could defeat Mark yeah! Anything can happen in tennis. But Mark is one of those players who magically elevates their level to the upteenth degree at certain tournaments, his being Wimbly. At the same time, Gonzo is really random in terms of his successes at tourneys. His good results can get a bit ephemeral.

Mark's the favorite and everyone's on his ass after last year. I hope Fene can work his psychotic magic

Man, if Gonzo pulls this off, I will crap my pants in happiness.

That wouldn't be too much of a shocker looking at Marks year up till Wimby ;) :p

Sjengster
06-25-2004, 11:13 PM
Great choke from Verkerk in the fourth, he's been broken once in the entire match and then dumps his serve twice in a row from 5-4 up. I hope Gonzalez can come through as well, not just because the Scud will be very dangerous for Henman but because I want to see how on earth the Centre Court crowd will react to Fernando's... interesting style of play on grass. I suspect they'll laugh for a few seconds, then realise in horror that he's not joking and he really does play like that.

chris whiteside
06-26-2004, 06:09 AM
Phillippoussis will beat Henman, unfortunately.

azza
06-26-2004, 11:00 AM
Mark is all fired up for wimbly this year i know he will win :)

Snoopy_Girl
06-26-2004, 05:31 PM
I don't think Verkerk really choked by the way... his play had been starting to slow down ever since he started the fourth set... his serve percentage went down and he tried too hard to impress/overpower Mark... :rolleyes:

BaselineSmash
06-26-2004, 08:46 PM
Great choke from Verkerk in the fourth, he's been broken once in the entire match and then dumps his serve twice in a row from 5-4 up. I hope Gonzalez can come through as well, not just because the Scud will be very dangerous for Henman but because I want to see how on earth the Centre Court crowd will react to Fernando's... interesting style of play on grass. I suspect they'll laugh for a few seconds, then realise in horror that he's not joking and he really does play like that.

Ha! I like that scenario, it would be hilarious. But Gonzo's powers of mental recovery will have been tested after that seemingly unnecessary five-setter against Andreev, and we all know his chances are slight at best against Philippoussis on grass. That said, the Australian doesn't have the discipline to win in straights, but when he and Henman do meet( :help: ), Mark will be all business and has the ability to deliver a grasscourt lesson to Tim.

Billabong
06-27-2004, 03:45 AM
GO Flip :woohoo:!!!

chris whiteside
06-27-2004, 06:01 AM
Why does everyone seem to think Henman will beat Phillippousis? If the match comes about I don't rate Henman's chances.

BaselineSmash
06-27-2004, 11:56 AM
Not very many, myself included, seem to think so in this thread.

Dutchie
06-27-2004, 05:12 PM
I didn't get to see much of the match but i was hoping for Verkerk to win, of course, but Mark is playing very good so good luck to him!

I agree that he will probably beat Henman - although i am not confident!
It'll be an interesting match!