Kuerten in Miami draw [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Kuerten in Miami draw

Ivo#1Fan
03-25-2008, 02:30 PM
Looking at the draw I just noticed Kuerten is in there. He's playing Grosjean 1st round. I imagine this will be one and done for Kuerten. Hopefully he'll pick up a descent number of games at least.

Agassi Fan
03-25-2008, 02:44 PM
Good luck Guga!

StevoTG
03-25-2008, 05:22 PM
Best of luck Guga!

Branimir
03-25-2008, 05:52 PM
Guga the King. One of my all-time favorites.

arm
03-25-2008, 05:53 PM
poor guy, I'd love to see him play stepanek next round...

I hope he makes it.

Adler
03-25-2008, 06:01 PM
Won't he receive a WC for RG?

LivingTheDream
03-25-2008, 06:03 PM
Won't he receive a WC for RG?

he will. He received a wild card to Miami months ago. Unfortunately Grosjean is going to absolutely destroy him.:sad:

Horatio Caine
03-25-2008, 06:08 PM
Best of luck to him. :yeah:

Mateya
03-25-2008, 06:09 PM
Well, Grosjean is far from his best times, but he is still good enough to demolish most of the challengers and futures players. :cool: And he loves this hardcourts too.

I hope Guga enjoys the match and Seb showes some mercy and doesnt just demolish him out there.

Hank777
03-25-2008, 06:43 PM
he will. He received a wild card to Miami months ago. Unfortunately Grosjean is going to absolutely destroy him....

I hope Guga enjoys the match and Seb showes some mercy and doesn't just demolish him out there....

Well some confidence people have in GUGA :rolleyes: but I guess he's hardly played any tennis ... it's somewhat strange; obviously he wants to play just some tourneys once more, but unless he's practicing daily ... it will just be tough on him ...

I hope he DOES GOOD though ... GUGA one more TIME !! :cool:

shotgun
03-25-2008, 06:48 PM
I don't like this whole farewell tour idea. Guga can barely run these days, let alone play decent matches. I mean, why bother playing Miami, Monte Carlo, Rome? Just play Costa do Sauipe which he did (home tournament), Florianopolis (challenger in his city), and the final match at Roland Garros. :shrug:

Grosjean will wipe the court with him.

justClaudia
03-25-2008, 06:51 PM
I don't like this whole farewell tour idea. Guga can barely run these days, let alone play decent matches. I mean, why bother playing Miami, Monte Carlo, Rome? Just play Costa do Sauipe which he did (home tournament), Florianopolis (challenger in his city), and the final match at Roland Garros. :shrug:

yeah, I think so too.
& it will be all to sad to watch. :sad:

Boris Franz Ecker
03-25-2008, 06:52 PM

Can Roland Garros afford to give Wild Cards to unranked players?

Voo de Mar
03-25-2008, 06:54 PM
I think it's quite good draw for Guga. Grosjean played tough tournament last week in Sunrise so he can be a little bit tired. Their last meeting was almost 8 years ago :lol:

Hank777
03-25-2008, 06:58 PM
Doesn't GUGA at least want to compete, why play just 2 play, I mean I'm not saying he's going to embarrass himself, but I hope he gets some form to peak at RG once more, imagine him reaching a Q-Final there ... he'd be the instant sentimental favorite ... :cool:

On the other hand it also reminds me of BECKER, when he once said; I'm not playing Wimbledon anymore ... cuz I could never beat PETE (Sampras) there anyway, so there's no point...

I say GUGA GO all the way !! :)

shotgun
03-25-2008, 06:58 PM

Unranked players, I'm not sure. Three-time champions, definitely yes. :D

Black Raven
03-25-2008, 07:04 PM

Agree. It's just like if Grosjean had a bye here...

It's unfair for the players who actually deserves a wild card.

Chocobo
03-25-2008, 09:22 PM
No matter the result...

It's always a pleasure to see Gustavo on a tennis court again! :hatoff:

Hank777
03-25-2008, 09:27 PM
No matter the result...

It's always a pleasure to see Gustavo on a tennis court again!
I will definitely second that !! :clap2:

It's just a little strange he seems ok with going about it like this, I'd almost say half-hearted-ly (in terms of competing of course), I know GUGA is all heart!

He doesn't even have a ranking btw ... strange ...

safinalium
03-25-2008, 09:46 PM
Guga :worship: i also love to see him on court, he's such a great guy but i honestly think that he should end his professional career. Right now he isn't doing anything good, it doesn't depend on him anymore - he just isn't physically fit. Come on, he's a 3 times GS champion and doesn't deserve to lose to guys way under his level who will probably never in their career play even 30% of Guga's best tennis :rolleyes: not all players can retire like Sampras but why hurt yourself, these are still official matches and they count.

StevoTG
03-25-2008, 09:49 PM
Well he is retiring after RG. He just wants to enjoy the experience of his favourite events one last time :shrug:

Truc
03-25-2008, 09:50 PM
yeah, I think so too.
& it will be all to sad to watch. :sad:Grosjean is a good draw for him in that regard, if he feels Kuerten is indeed in hopeless shape, he will turn it into an exhibition and make sure it doesn't look too sad, he's probably better at that than other players.

If Kuerten really can barely run, as Shotgun says, I don't get why he's playing Masters Series events. But let's see how he does first...

FedFan_2007
03-25-2008, 09:54 PM
Guga - 2000 and 2008 Miami champ! :rocker:

Deboogle!.
03-25-2008, 09:56 PM
Agree. It's just like if Grosjean had a bye here...

It's unfair for the players who actually deserves a wild card.It's a handful of tournaments for one of the greatest people and champions the sport has seen. Really, ask a guy like Amer Delic or Donald Young or Robby Ginepri, guys who would likely have gotten that WC spot, and see if they have a problem with Guga getting it, and I really doubt that they would.

Sunset of Age
03-25-2008, 09:58 PM
All I can say is that I hope Guga will do reasonably well - i.e., not getting completely blown off the court. That said I have to admit that I don't think he has any of a chance. :sad:

The guy was and still is a true jewel to the game of tennis. :worship:

Hank777
03-25-2008, 10:18 PM
Grosjean is a good draw for him in that regard, if he feels Kuerten is indeed in hopeless shape, he will turn it into an exhibition, probably more than other players.
In a kind way, I completely disagree ;) I mean seriously, I think as a professional player you should NOT be concerned with turning a match into an exhibition, if GROSJEAN can beat GUGA in big numbers ... he should ... no offense to GUGA.

It would be insulting anyway, the whole point is ... if that's what GUGA wants then any player would free up a day to play an exhibition with him.

GUGA should go FULL FORCE, if he's playing he's playing :cool:

Lee
03-25-2008, 10:45 PM
Guga will go full force and he still has his serve but he won't be able to last for more than a set.

For most fans in US, this is the last chance for them to watch Guga plays. I am glad that I went to Indian Wells last year because I wanted to watch him and that's the last and only chance for me to watch Guga played live.

Hank777
03-25-2008, 11:12 PM
For most fans in US, this is the last chance for them to watch Guga plays. I am glad that I went to Indian Wells last year because I wanted to watch him and that's the last and only chance for me to watch Guga played live.
Consequently this is also the reason why he gets a WC ... not only a past finalist but simply cuz he drwas crowds ... ans all tourney organizers like that cuz it means money to them.

GUGA should be able to pull off more than one set (I hope) ;) :cool:

sawan66278
03-26-2008, 04:06 AM

For a legend, of course.

By the way, who would you like to see Guga face at RG?

azza
03-26-2008, 05:46 AM
Grosjean 6-2 6-0

Xristos
03-26-2008, 05:55 AM
Best of luck Guga.

Marek.
03-26-2008, 05:58 AM
Guga - 2000 and 2008 Miami champ! :rocker:

Didn't he lose in 2000?

And I hope the best for Guga. :yeah: :)

LeChuck
03-26-2008, 08:41 AM
Yes Guga was the runner-up at Miami in 2000. He beat Agassi in his semi-final, before losing to Sampras in 4 sets in the final.

Adler
03-26-2008, 09:04 AM
It was Sampras's last MS shield

http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=tzsWFGUqQ9o - here you've got the 1st part of this match, rest is on You Tube as well

Eden
03-26-2008, 03:10 PM

I can understand your sporting point of view. As a Guga fan it hurts to see him struggling on the court, especially knowing what kind of player he had been when he was fit. It's so sad that his career has to end so unsatisfying, but let's not forget that most of the players aren't able to finish their career in their heyday.

Guga was and is one of the most popular players ever and it doesn't really matter which results he will have on the court at the tournaments he is going to play. His achievements will always be unforgettable.

This farewell tour is just an opportunity for Guga and the fans to say goodbye and I have to say I can't wait for the moment when he will be in Hamburg (as it is rumoured) and I get the chance to see him at least once in my life :)

Good luck for Miami Guga :yeah: Hopefully he won't have to much pain on the court - that's the most important thing.

rocketassist
03-26-2008, 03:17 PM
Couldn't they have fixed the draw and given him Berlocq or someone crap on hard? :o

vamos_nalbandian
03-26-2008, 03:17 PM
Força Guga!!!
It would be so nice if he could at least beat Grosjean...
I will never forget the Lisbon Masters where he beat Sampras and Agassi to take the title and #1 spot.

Voo de Mar
03-26-2008, 05:15 PM
I can understand your sporting point of view. As a Guga fan it hurts to see him struggling on the court, especially knowing what kind of player he had been when he was fit. It's so sad that his career has to end so unsatisfying, but let's not forget that most of the players aren't able to finish their career in their heyday.

Guga was and is one of the most popular players ever and it doesn't really matter which results he will have on the court at the tournaments he is going to play. His achievements will always be unforgettable.

This farewell tour is just an opportunity for Guga and the fans to say goodbye and I have to say I can't wait for the moment when he will be in Hamburg (as it is rumoured) and I get the chance to see him at least once in my life :)

Good luck for Miami Guga :yeah: Hopefully he won't have to much pain on the court - that's the most important thing.

:worship:

I hope you will see Guga in Hamburg :hug: