Mayer OUTGUNS Coria 4-6 6-3 6-3 6-4 !!!!! wooohooo!!! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Mayer OUTGUNS Coria 4-6 6-3 6-3 6-4 !!!!! wooohooo!!!

Neely
06-25-2004, 01:34 PM
Mayer wins against Coria 4-6 6-3 6-3 6-4 :banana: :banana: :banana:

WHAT A WIN FOR MAYER!!!!!!!

Mayer continues his rise again and again, he got his biggest win against Novak in Hamburg.
Then he got his biggest win against González in Roland Garros.
And now he has beaten a TOP 5 player on grass, a surface which is not his favorite one, nor Coria's.

AWESOME WIN, Florian!!! :hug:

Congrats a lot!!! :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

He gunned down Guille

Raquel
06-25-2004, 01:36 PM
:wavey: Neely! Did you see any of it? I saw it here and he played very well :) :bounce:

Great hands on the backhand as usual, especially at the net! Boris Becker said he would win this match but I was not so sure, but he deserved it :woohoo:

Well done Florian :worship: Good Luck in round 3!

Neely
06-25-2004, 01:38 PM
I only saw a few games of this match as German TV was mainly focusing on Haas. :sad:

I still can't believe it, what a win for him. I takes A LOT to beat Coria on any surface.

Deboogle!.
06-25-2004, 01:39 PM
awwwwww Guille :(

but congrats to Mayer, always nice to see the young up-and-comers doing well

Leo
06-25-2004, 01:40 PM
Sweet.

Mrs. B
06-25-2004, 01:42 PM
Gut gemacht!

Neely
06-25-2004, 01:43 PM
He gunned down Guille with 60 to 40 winners and despite taking a lot of risk he made less unforced errors than Coria.

Such matches of a player ranked #66 in the world and making less unforced errors than Coria do not happen often!

Also Mayer ripped Guille on his 2nd serve as Coria could only win about 35% of the points (Mayer: 61%)

I saw Coria was probably injured at his shoulder and he was (prolly) not at full strength, but still a very great win for Florian... and Coria hardly loses any matches not being injured or in need of treatment during this match.
(vs Andy in Miami, vs Federer in Hamburg, vs Gaudio in Paris...)

KarstenBraasch#1
06-25-2004, 01:46 PM
Great :D :woohoo: :yeah:

ARD :rolleyes:

TennisLurker
06-25-2004, 01:47 PM
he played great, congrats!!

alfonsojose
06-25-2004, 01:49 PM
Mayer :bounce: :rolls: :rolls:

Jorge
06-25-2004, 01:52 PM
Congrats Florian, as I said before anyone who beats "el tramposo" Coria (even on grass) deserves a big clap :bigclap:

Yashirobai
06-25-2004, 02:02 PM
But Coria had some physical problems, didn't he?

star
06-25-2004, 02:12 PM
I'm sorry I didn't get to see any of the match.

Mayer had great stats.

Space Cowgirl
06-25-2004, 02:21 PM
Great result for Mayer! Well done

*SKYE*
06-25-2004, 02:23 PM
I REKON! CONGRATS MAYER!

Gonzalo81
06-25-2004, 02:46 PM
Congrats Florian, as I said before anyone who beats "el tramposo" Coria (even on grass) deserves a big clap :bigclap:

Would you explain to me why you say its a cheater....need to know your arguments....or are you just saying like that?

I´m very happy with your improvement on grass Willy, keep up the good work.... :worship:

WyveN
06-25-2004, 03:05 PM
But Coria had some physical problems, didn't he?

No doubt. The guy is a walking hospital, there should be a ambulance on stand by whenever he steps on court.

*Ljubica*
06-25-2004, 03:21 PM
No doubt. The guy is a walking hospital, there should be a ambulance on stand by whenever he steps on court.

:haha: especially when he is losing!!!

But must just add my congrats to Mayer here! I first saw him play in the Australian Open this year when David beat him - and although David won easily I was really impressed by Mayer's attitude and all-round game. He was even better when I watched him in Hamburg and certainly played well today, -so well done - great win - good luck for the future Florian :)

Neely
06-25-2004, 03:23 PM
I don't know Coria's tournament schedule, but he has made a heck of improvement this season and he can win on every surface. Maybe he should take a week off after Wimbledon and start playing 3rd week in July to get some rest. He must be exhausted at some time, no question.

Gonzalo81
06-25-2004, 03:30 PM
yeap, he should do that...:)

MagoRG
06-25-2004, 06:27 PM
:haha: especially when he is losing!!!

But must just add my congrats to Mayer here! I first saw him play in the Australian Open this year when David beat him - and although David won easily I was really impressed by Mayer's attitude and all-round game. He was even better when I watched him in Hamburg and certainly played well today, -so well done - great win - good luck for the future Florian :)

Hey, I like nalbi too. But in tems on losing and putting the blame on injuries....David really tops Coria

Pea
06-25-2004, 06:41 PM
Awesome display of tennis, Florian!:cool:

KarstenBraasch#1
06-25-2004, 07:44 PM
Great win :D

And after the match Mayer said that he excepted some antics from Coria, so he was prepared for the injury nonsense. :lol:

YoursTruly
06-25-2004, 08:44 PM
It's so confirmed. Mayer is in the dangerous floater group right now. He'll be in the seeded group soon if he keeps it up!

Neely
06-25-2004, 09:52 PM
I'd never thought that I will some time laugh about a post of GoDom, but post #23 in this thread must have been his best one of all-time and the most appreciative for me so far :lol:

Jinx
06-25-2004, 10:42 PM
It so sad taht Coria lost!!!! :sad:

Go guille!!! Youre great anyway.....

The other one played well though...

Chloe le Bopper
06-26-2004, 12:29 AM
Injury prone players are HILARIOUS, no? Especially Nalbandian, right Rosie? Isn't it so funny that he gets injured a lot and tries to play through them? Has me in stiches! Stiches!

Chloe le Bopper
06-26-2004, 12:30 AM
That said, I highly doubt Coria's shoulder pain had anything to do with the loss, so good for Mayer ;)

Neely
06-26-2004, 01:06 AM
BTW, where are all the people (or was it just one person? I don't remember anymore) who said in the last thread about Mayer that he was just lucky to survive three tiebreaks sets in a row against Arthurs? :haha:
LOL

well, this round he even didn't need a tiebreak against Coria :yeah:

Raquel
06-26-2004, 12:25 PM
That said, I highly doubt Coria's shoulder pain had anything to do with the loss, so good for Mayer ;)

Coria says pretty much the same thing -

GUILLERMO CORIA yesterday became the biggest-name casualty of the tournament but refused to trot out a tired excuse.

The Argentinian lost 6-4 3-6 3-6 4-6 to Florian Mayer but insisted it had nothing to do with his marathon rain-affected clash with Wesley Moodie which finally ended on Thursday.

The French Open finalist said: 'The delay to the first-round game didn't affect me.

'Today I met a player who made good use of all his opportunities and who played well. There was nothing I could do about it.'

Coria can be sly on court but here he sometimes has this reputation where everything he does is called into question. He is not as bad as all that.

gina_
06-26-2004, 01:28 PM
As least he was being gracious this year. Good for Mayer. I'm disappointed for Coria but that's sport.

GermanBoy
06-26-2004, 03:20 PM
Mayer looks like a vulture. :rolleyes:

Okay, nice win and I think he is very talented but... :rolleyes:

daze11
06-26-2004, 03:41 PM
we'll see how mayer does against coria on a hard court or clay, where coria isnt spending half his time falling or running with caution to avoid slipping. He just has no experience on this surface and hadnt won a match on grass until just a few weeks ago. the great 'threat' of mayer will maybe earn him 4 or 5 games if he's lucky next time.

but aside from an ailing shoulder and arm (which you kind of need to hit your forehand... :rolleyes: ), i dont think its cute that el mago has to struggle through pain and injuries in his matches just because he's not 6 feet tall and 300% brawn. so its not something to make fun of, IMO. 9 of the top 10 women players were out for at least 3 months this year, so injuries are a big deal in current tennis and its a shame tennis is becoming more about lasting through the blows (like boxing) than thinking and finesse and tennis, which someone like coria is so much more talented at than 99% of the professional players on the planet.

lets have a little respect for the players who actually have skill. :)

Raquel
06-26-2004, 04:05 PM
the great 'threat' of mayer will maybe earn him 4 or 5 games if he's lucky next time.

lets have a little respect for the players who actually have skill. :)

Why not take some of your own advice and respect Mayer who certainly has skill instead of using the rather condescending 'threat' description. Have you ever seen Mayer play? He is a not a big serving player who is 6 feet tall plus and '300% brawn'. He is very skillful, excellent hands at the net, great feel on his backhand which is an excellent shot.

Mayer has no grass experience either. He was playing a clay challenger in the week before, the same week Coria was in a grass final. If you want to talk about giving respect to players with skill, give some more to Mayer. As Coria himself said - there was nothing he could do. He was outplayed - not outserved or overpowered but outplayed.

daze11
06-26-2004, 04:27 PM
rachel, i did watch some of the match (what they showed), and i'm sorry i wasnt clear (more specific) in my post. I didnt mean mayer in my description of 'the brawn-based player', but referring to someones earlier post about how funny it was that injury-prone players work thorugh their injuries...as though they shouldnt try to play at all.

mayer is talented but had less problem adjusting to the surface than coria, and i am serious that i dont think it would be terribly close with coria being comfortable. he did say what you wrote in the press conference, but he also said the arm hiurt him more than his kidney stones hurt him when he withdrew against roddick earlier in the year. coria was not near 100% physically and his range of how high his performance can go is much greater than mayers. that's why coria is hovering at #2/#3 in the world right now. but in this tournament on this surface, his movement was HORRIBLE. He cant play his game on grass...yet.

my comment was not to insult mayer, but i dont see him entering the top ten (or top 20) any time soon. maybe you do. i dont mind if it happens, i just wrote about what i saw.

Lady
06-26-2004, 06:10 PM
rachel, i did watch some of the match (what they showed), and i'm sorry i wasnt clear (more specific) in my post. I didnt mean mayer in my description of 'the brawn-based player', but referring to someones earlier post about how funny it was that injury-prone players work thorugh their injuries...as though they shouldnt try to play at all.

That post you're refering to was made by Coria fan who was being sarcastic to other poster who was loughing at Guillermo's injury problems ;)

daze11
06-26-2004, 06:55 PM
That post you're refering to was made by Coria fan who was being sarcastic to other poster who was loughing at Guillermo's injury problems ;)
ahhhhh...sorry. :lol: i thought that was a pretty bad comment! :retard: glad it was meant in a more positive way. :)