Djokovic def. Fish 6-2 5-7 6-3 to win Indian Wells [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Djokovic def. Fish 6-2 5-7 6-3 to win Indian Wells

dijus
03-24-2008, 12:15 AM
Indian Wells 2008 was just great for You anyway , Mardy :worship:

Mardy was 2-4* and *4-5 0-30 down in 2nd set, but he came back and won 7-5.

In 1st game of final set, Nole was *0-40 down, but saved all 3 bps with 3 aces. Then he broke Fish to 15 and this break was the key to win final set. We had just 1 break in 3rd set and it was enough to win.

RogiRafaFan86
03-24-2008, 12:15 AM
Well that was a compelling final. Exciting, scintillating, masterclass that was. :rolleyes:

I knew when Fish couldn't convert a single bp in the first game of the 3rd set that he would lose. Ugh. Fire of a thousand suns... :mad:

And I really want to knock the hell out of Justin Gimelstob's stupid ass. When he wasn't being a total Homer, he was going on and on about Djokabitch being the best thing to ever happen to tennis. Dude is on crack. He'll probably be calling Miami as well, and that's on my coast, so I might just fly down there and do it. If I hear him mention "positive errors" and/or "good errors" one more time...ugh! Such a dumbass.

This tournament certainly went out with a whisper.

camnation
03-24-2008, 12:16 AM
I don't care how it looked, Nole won! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

seljanin
03-24-2008, 12:17 AM
Ehh, Fishy... should have broken Djoko @ the 1st game on 3rd set. But have to give credit for Djoko's strong guts, when he came up with 3 aces to save 3 BP from 0/40.

Still great achievement for Fish. Coming back from 2:4 in 2nd set to win it 7:5 was some super effort :yeah: Shame he couldn't finish this great run with a victory. I somehow doubt he will have many more chances of winning such high level tournaments.

Congrats to Djokovic, of course. A well deserved winner of IW!

Stensland
boo.

~*BGT*~
:yawn: Good job. :)

Adler
Mardy had 40/0* in the first game of the 3rd set. Nole served 3 aces
This sums it up perfectly. It was competitive, but clearly better one won

Voo de Mar
Ugly match. D'Joke is too solid for inconsistent Fish's game.

Fee
03-24-2008, 12:18 AM
Nole :banana:

Mardy, :) well done, keep it up

Justin - yes, he will be calling Miami haters. Enjoy!

JMG
Well done

Spes
Horrible performance! :lol:

Thank God he won though, now holds Indian Wells and Miami.

Time to defend Miami, this is good preparation. ;)

AJDE!

Sunset of Age
Congrats to Djoko for a well-deserved victory, and to Fish as well for a truly AMAZING performance here. :hatoff:

That's all, I suppose... :shrug:

stebs
Great fight from the Fish and unbeliavable tournament from him.

As for Djokovic, well he's the best player in the world on hardcourts now, certainly the results show as much. Well done to him and this perhaps could've been a more routine victory but any way to get the W is good enough and he showed what he's all about with those aces at the start of the 3rd set.

jonny84
03-24-2008, 12:19 AM
Good effort for Mardy. Hope he wins a Masters one day - sure he can after a superb week.

Djokovic :yeah:

finishingmove
good final

Roland9
Cool match.

Both of them were not really consistent, but Djokovic was better... And that 3 aces to save 3 bps... Brilliant.

Well done to Fish, bigger well done to Djokovic.

LilyRoseAva
expected

cobalt60

Mardy, :) well done, keep it up

Justin - yes, he will be calling Miami haters. Enjoy!

:haha: :yeah:
:hatoff: to both guys. Nole was just better today.

krystlel
03-24-2008, 12:20 AM
I thought it was an interesting match, good in patches anyway to keep me interested in the match.

Fish went through a couple of hot streaks during the match but was too inconsistent in general. Djokovic's good serving made it difficult for him to employ the same sort of returning that he did in previous matches and Djokovic saving the 0-40 deficit with three aces in the third set was crucial. After that, it looked like Fish had lost his belief.

Still, well done to Fish for having an amazing tournament and Djokovic for winning yet another big title.

raven gypsy
03-24-2008, 12:20 AM
Good job this week, Mardy

Congrats to Nole. The Serbs rule today.

calvinhobbes
03-24-2008, 12:21 AM
Congratulations To Novak Robespierre, The Incorruptible!!!

World Beater
03-24-2008, 12:21 AM
pretty much even from the ground in the 3rd set but joker served much better than mardy. that was the deciding factor.

novak is proving this year that he is the best at playing the big pts. It will be interesting to see how he does in miami. He should do well. He has plenty of time to recuperate.

Mechlan
03-24-2008, 12:22 AM
Good fight by Mardy, he should have lost in 2 but hung in there and played some good tennis at the end of the second set. The result wasn't really ever in doubt. Congrats to Djokovic, he's won the two biggest tournaments this year and sent a clear note to the rest of the field that he is the player to beat.

Ranger
03-24-2008, 12:22 AM
Expected in 3, when Nole wins. Thanks, that my bad feeling was bad. :p

Congrats Djokovic, great stuff. 3 BP's saved with 3 aces in first game of 3rd set, amazing! :worship:

And congrats to Fish, unbelievable tournament from him.

justClaudia
03-24-2008, 12:23 AM
great week Mardy. :yeah:
congrats to both.

njnetswill
03-24-2008, 12:23 AM
Not that high quality of a match, but I'm happy for Novak.

Great play from Mardy. :yeah: To me he is much more likeable than Blake or Roddick. :shrug:

anon57
03-24-2008, 12:25 AM
Not a great match as both player were slightly to inconsistent but still some great points. And Djokovic came up with the goods when he needed to. As for Fish he tried but just wasn't good enough or consistent enough today. Congrats to the better player.

dylan24
03-24-2008, 12:25 AM
nole 1
fish 2

fuck fed and rafa

squeakyshoes
03-24-2008, 12:26 AM
>))))>

fish :hug:

LeChuck
03-24-2008, 12:26 AM
Congratulations to Djokovic for consolidating his status as the best player in the world on hardcourts at the moment. He is currently the reigning champion of 4 out of the 6 biggest events on outdoor hard which is outstanding. Props to fish for an unbelievable run at IW, with all those excellent victories/scalps.

Corey Feldman
03-24-2008, 12:27 AM
Expected that Fish would come back down to planet earth today after yesterday

easy for Nole this week, no one played out their mind v him.

leng jai
03-24-2008, 12:27 AM
Strategic tank by the sockless Fish :worship:

Bascule
03-24-2008, 12:28 AM
As in men tennis also in women tennis Serbs rule in Indian Wells!
Congrats to Novak, but to Ana also.

Spes
03-24-2008, 12:29 AM
Too bad Ivanovic had to win, otherwise this would have been a great week. :(

camnation
I like the camaraderie between the two players. Mardy doesn't seem fazed by the loss at all.

Clay Death
Not a great match as both player were slightly to inconsistent but still some great points. And Djokovic came up with the goods when he needed to. As for Fish he tried but just wasn't good enough or consistent enough today. Congrats to the better player.

Fishy`s serve let him down in the 3rd set or it would have been even closer. going in to the 3rd set, Fishy had actually won more points than Djokovic. he had won 36 points to Djoker`s 33.

it might be interesting to note that the biggest winner here was Fed. he gained more points than Djokovic and padded his lead over Nadal who was not able to defend his title.

now Djokovic is less than 500 points away from Nadal. one slip up on clay and we have a new #2. it would be strange going to into the French Open with Nadal at #3 and the #3 seed.

TMJordan
03-24-2008, 12:30 AM
:bigclap:

tripb19
03-24-2008, 12:30 AM
I fell asleep during this match and dreamed about the tennis match, and Nole attacked a ball girl; I woke up and it was still going and the whole thing was very surreal. Good fight Fishy, nice aces Nole.

Bascule
03-24-2008, 12:31 AM

Actually, it is a great week. Too bad Zimonjic didn't win in final, otherwise this would be THE BEST week!!!

The Daviator
03-24-2008, 12:33 AM

Stop hating Greg :ras:

This was a GREAT week, congrats Ana & Nole :bigclap:

Duleml
03-24-2008, 12:33 AM
Once again it proves you have to be a good person to be a good player. Not even a congratulations from Fish.... Nole on the other hand...great manners. Thats what keeps you up from those "players"

Grunge
03-24-2008, 12:34 AM
Actually, it is a great week. Too bad Zimonjic didn't win in final, otherwise this would be THE BEST week!!!

No, the best week would be Jelena vs Ana final, Djokovic win and Zimonjic win ;)

Clay Death
03-24-2008, 12:36 AM

Serbians on course for world domination. who will step up and stop them?

CrossCourt13
03-24-2008, 12:37 AM
Nice match and good fight from Fish. I believe he could have won this one if he was putting more first serves in.

Spes
03-24-2008, 12:37 AM
I don't see why Mardy wouldn't be happy after losing, he had probably the best week of his career.

Corey Feldman
03-24-2008, 12:38 AM
Serbians on course for world domination. who will step up and stop them?Andrew Murray is the answer you are looking for.

aeronatasha
Great job Nole! Way to keep your cool in that 3rd set!
Serbia's proud tonight!!

I noticed Fish didn't mention Novak in his speech, which is kinda lame, but maybe he was just overwhelmed.

Aaah who cares.

Go Novak!! :worship:

star
expected
Also expected :rolleyes:

I think there weren't many here predicting a three set match, so I don't think it was "expected."

You know, except those you like to appear to have everything figured out and make these posts after the fact. At least bump a post where you predicted this outcome so you can prove it is what you expected.

leng jai
03-24-2008, 12:40 AM
MTF is full of prophets, don't you know?

arm
03-24-2008, 12:41 AM
I dont think any of them played really well.

Still, Djokovic deserved to win the tournement and fish deserved to reach the final. So all endep up the way it had to be.

Voo de Mar
Also expected :rolleyes:

I think there weren't many here predicting a three set match, so I don't think it was "expected."

22 %

your_valentine
Nice match. Congrats Novak, great tournament :yeah: You're also sooo classy :worship:
Mardy the last two weeks were great for you :kiss: Keep it up and soon your rank will improve :)

Deivid23
03-24-2008, 12:42 AM
Well done Nole, u champ :yeah:

Okonsky
03-24-2008, 12:42 AM
Tough shark that Fish. But Novak was better, not good but enough. Bliss over Nadal on IW.

I thing it was a bit rude from Fish not menshionig Novak on the speach. It was - 'I am smiling but I could kill you'.

Clay Death
03-24-2008, 12:43 AM
Expected that Fish would come back down to planet earth today after yesterday

easy for Nole this week, no one played out their mind v him.

very easy week. he could have taken care of Fish in the second set but lost some concentration.

other than that, very easy draw as well. Fed is avoiding him and Nadal is more hopeless and helpless on hard courts than ever before.

star
03-24-2008, 12:44 AM
22 %

:bigclap: StatMan! :)

Ryan46
03-24-2008, 12:45 AM
Mardy did awesome, I'm glad to know I wasn't the only one who found this final really great. I was, however, pissed that MSG up here in NY decided to switch to hockey at 7, leaving the last 3 games of the match to the live scoring of ATP for me. Jerks. Miami better have more consistent coverage.

Anyway, yay. I thought Fish had Djokovic on that 0-40 game, but Novak did what Roger didn't and pulled out three aces. He's definitely going to be number two in the world soon, and hopefully Roger sucks during the clay season so that the year end rankings will be Novak one, Rafa two, Roger three.

Keep it up in Miami, Mardy! Break the top 20!

DJ Soup
expected.

Djokovic is a fresh player, unlike Federer and Nadal. So On Fire players like Fish, Tsonga and Cañas are not as challenging. Coz Nole is fresh and sharp.

star
I'm very happy for Djokovic. :)

It would have been a wonderful end to the tournament if Fish had won, but I'm satisfied with the result. :)

zcess81
Not the best tennis, and Novak wasn't at his absolute best, but he has guts! I mean 3bp in 3rd set and he delivers 3 aces...amazing! Sampras like, really.

HeretiC
03-24-2008, 12:46 AM
Tuna will steal one set so Djoker in 3.

Instead of iritating "Expected" phrase.:p

Tuna did stole that 2nd set after being down a break and 2 points from loss in straights at *4:5 0:30.

Corey Feldman
03-24-2008, 12:47 AM
I noticed Fish didn't mention Novak in his speech, which is kinda lame, but maybe he was just overwhelmed.

Aaah who cares.You do

I thing it was a bit rude from Fish not menshionig Novak on the speach. It was - 'I am smiling but I could kill you'.Why should he?

least he doesnt take lessons from Nole "i know you didnt want me to win - that is why i spit and swear at you" Djokovic speech in AO.
:o

star
03-24-2008, 12:49 AM
Not the best tennis, and Novak wasn't at his absolute best, but he has guts! I mean 3bp in 3rd set and he delivers 3 aces...amazing! Sampras like, really.

Ack. Please. Don't put them in the same sentence, I don't want to start thinking Nole is like Pete. :p

star
03-24-2008, 12:50 AM
Instead of iritating "Expected" phrase.:p

Tuna did stole that 2nd set after being down a break and 2 points from loss in straights at *4:5 0:30.

Bravo!

:lol:

zcess81
03-24-2008, 12:51 AM
Ack. Please. Don't put them in the same sentence, I don't want to start thinking Nole is like Pete. :p

Not in terms of achievements obviously, I was just referring to that one game...Sampras used to do that. So Novak's on a good path.

Branimir
03-24-2008, 12:52 AM
Novak the Great. Best player in the World now!

HeretiC
03-24-2008, 12:52 AM
Ugly match. D'Joke is too solid for inconsistent Fish's game.

Don't agree. Mardy played at least as good as he was playing whole week. The only difference was the the player across.

aeronatasha
03-24-2008, 12:54 AM
No Escude, I really don't care. I said I noticed. I didn't say I'll leap into a mad frenzy.

I'm perfectly satisfied with Novak's win. :wavey: Don't really need anything else.

Great day for Serbian tennis. Keep it up Novak and Ana!

Congradulations to Mardy on his exceptional run, he deserves a much higher ranking.

zcess81
03-24-2008, 12:58 AM
Don't agree. Mardy played at least as good as he was playing whole week. The only difference was the the player across.

The key, for me at least, was Novak's return on 2nd serve...always deep and aggressive. That put Mardy under pressure to deliver 1st serve, cause he knew that his 2nd will get punished most of the time. He couldn't handle the pressure and consequently his 1st serve suffered, which was VERY low. Unlike Fed, who didn't do anything with Mardy's 2nd serves, he was just rolling them back in...and Mardy became more and more confident.

foul_dwimmerlaik
03-24-2008, 12:58 AM
A pretty good match, with several momentum swings. Fish couldn't find his first serves but otherwise played some awesome points.

Nole, to save bps with those aces... :worship: a mental fortress and the player to beat now. Keep it up!

Corey Feldman
03-24-2008, 01:00 AM
He couldn't handle the pressure and consequently his 1st serve suffered, which was VERY low. Unlike Fed, who didn't do anything with Mardy's 2nd serves, he was just rolling them back in...and Mardy became more and more confident.So true.

first bit of sense i've ever seen from you in MTF.

Marek.
03-24-2008, 01:00 AM
Djokovic's serve saved him. :p:p

Alex999
03-24-2008, 01:01 AM
Nole, Nole........... great win,

Okonsky
03-24-2008, 01:02 AM
Why should he?

I like you so much and, because of that, I'll just say - It is custom, it is fair, players (fair) always do that. I dont'care, realy but that was bother me a bit.

Clay Death
03-24-2008, 01:03 AM
Djokovic's serve saved him. :p:p

yep. his serve and his return of serve both are world class.

Petrovic
03-24-2008, 01:08 AM
Ana Ivanovic won IW today and then Novak did the same !
Ooh, what a great day i have in Serbia !

Novak is looking so good (in form) and plays some fantastic tennis !

Voo de Mar
03-24-2008, 01:09 AM

IMO Fish played more passive than in the previous round, Djokovic below his normal level. It was three-setter, actually only thanks to decline of concentration by Nole. He played terrible game at *4:2 in the 2nd set, his concentration disappeared. It could be routine 6-2 6-3 win only if Nole was so concentrated like in the match against Canas or Nadal...

Corey Feldman
03-24-2008, 01:10 AM
I like you so much and, because of that, I'll just say - It is custom, it is fair, players (fair) always do that. I dont'care, realy but that was bother me a bit.Mardy should have said "Congrats Novak, never in doubt and lucky one" ;)

seljanin
03-24-2008, 01:14 AM
IMO Fish played more passive than in the previous round, Djokovic below his normal level. It was three-setter, actually only thanks to decline of concentration by Nole. He played terrible game at *4:2 in the 2nd set, his concentration disappeared. It could be routine 6-2 6-3 win only if Nole was so concentrated like in the match against Canas or Nadal...

Well, it looked like a loss of concentration, because at 4*:2 Nole made 2 easy BH unforced errors by hitting them out (1st Simple rally BH, 2nd offensive BH), then Mardy hit a lucky BH return winner, and then Nole lost game by a DF. But then Mardy did step it up himself (crowd certainly helped + momentum shift) and won the set due to his improved play, IMO.

Cat123
03-24-2008, 01:19 AM
Nole got away with one there!!!! Respect to Fish for that fight back, but I'm glad it went to Djokovic in the end.

Okonsky
03-24-2008, 01:21 AM
Mardy should have said "Congrats Novak, never in doubt and lucky one" ;)

For example:)

Branimir
03-24-2008, 01:25 AM
Novak had some stupid unforced errors, but I don't want to take anything from Fish, he proved that he is the one who deserved to play in the final.

mariyella80
03-24-2008, 01:29 AM
Can anyone comment on why ESPN dropped indian wells and miami, apart from the fact that 'march madness is going on'........tennis is going to suffer this year as far as coverage in the usa not everyone picks up the sports package on cable....I live in a dorm and it sucks to not have the sports package of tennis channel and fsn...but judging from comments looks like I didnt miss anything when it came to commentating......gosh I miss the aussie and the british guy who died, best duo to commentate on the game.....oh well...WELLL DONE DJOCKOVIC :)

roxannax
03-24-2008, 01:30 AM
Congrats to Nole AND to Ana, THE most beautiful tennis player EVER :)

Fee
03-24-2008, 01:34 AM
Can anyone comment on why ESPN dropped indian wells and miami, apart from the fact that 'march madness is going on'........tennis is going to suffer this year as far as coverage in the usa not everyone picks up the sports package on cable....I live in a dorm and it sucks to not have the sports package of tennis channel and fsn...but judging from comments looks like I didnt miss anything when it came to commentating......gosh I miss the aussie and the british guy who died, best duo to commentate on the game.....oh well...WELLL DONE DJOCKOVIC :)

Money. http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=117026

Voo de Mar
03-24-2008, 02:26 AM
Well, it looked like a loss of concentration, because at 4*:2 Nole made 2 easy BH unforced errors by hitting them out (1st Simple rally BH, 2nd offensive BH), then Mardy hit a lucky BH return winner, and then Nole lost game by a DF. But then Mardy did step it up himself (crowd certainly helped + momentum shift) and won the set due to his improved play, IMO.

Yep, I think Mardy played two games really well -> 10th and 11th but generally Djokovic from *4:2 up in the second to *0:0 (0-40) in the 3rd was deep space ;)

Here is some newness I suppose on this forum. My fragmentary notation of the final:

Djokovic - Fish 6-2 5-7 6-3

a - ace
d - double fault
s - service winner/unreturned service
italics - break of serve

1st set:

1:0 Djokovic's serve (15-0s, 30-0, 40-0)
2:0 Fish's serve (0-15, 0-30, 15-30s, 15-40)
3:0 Djokovic (15-0s, 30-0a, 30-15, 30-30, 40-30)
3:1 Fish (15-0a, 30-0s, 40-0)
3:2 Djokovic (15-0a, 15-15, 15-30, 15-40)
4:2 Fish (0-15, 0-30, 15-30, 30-30, 40-30, D, AF, D, AD, D, ADd, d)
5:2 Djokovic (15-0, 15-15, 30-15s, 30-30, 40-30s, D, AD)
6:2 Fish (15-0, 30-0, 30-15, 30-30, 40-30s, D, AFa, D, AD)

2nd set:

1:0 Djokovic (0-15, 15-15, 30-15, 40-15, s)
1:1 Fish (15-0, 15-15d, 30-15, 40-15s, 40-30, D, AF, D, AFs, s)
2:1 Djokovic (15-0, 15-15, 15-30, 30-30, 40-30a, D, ADa)
2:2 Fish (15-0, 30-0s, 30-15, 40-15a)
3:2 Djokovic (15-0, 30-0a, 40-0, a)
4:2 Fish (0-15, 0-30, 15-30, 30-30a, 30-40)
4:3 Djokovic (15-0, 15-15, 15-30, 15-40, d)
4:4 Fish (15-0s, 30-0, 30-15, 40-15a)
5:4 Djokovic (15-0, 30-0, 40-0, s)
5:5 Fish (0-15, 0-30, 15-30, 30-30, 40-30s)
5:6 Djokovic (0-15, 0-30, 15-30, 15-40)
5:7 Fish (0-15, 15-15, 30-15s, 30-30, 40-30s, s)

3rd set:

1:0 Djokovic (0-15, 0-30, 0-40, 15-40a, 30-40a, Da, ADs)
2:0 Fish (0-15, 15-15, 15-30, 15-40d)
3:0 Djokovic (15-0, 15-15, 15-30, 30-30s, 40-30s, a)
3:1 Fish (15-0, 30-0s, 40-0s)
4:1 Djokovic (15-0, 15-15, 30-15, 40-15s)
4:2 Fish (0-15, 15-15, 30-15s, 40-15s, s)
5:2 Djokovic (15-0, 30-0, 30-15, 30-30, 40-30s)
5:3 Fish (15-0, 30-0, 40-0a, s)
6:3 Djokovic (15-0s, 30-0, 40-0a, 40-15, s)

Spes
03-24-2008, 02:27 AM
I think if Fish had served well, he probably could have won this. Novak was very unconvincing today.

Lee
03-24-2008, 02:27 AM
Yep, I think Mardy played two games really well -> 10th and 11th but generally Djokovic from *4:2 up in the second to *0:0 (0-40) in the 3rd was deep space ;)

Here is some newness I suppose on this forum. My fragmentary notation of the final:

Djokovic - Fish 6-2 5-7 6-3

a - ace
d - double fault
s - service winner/unreturned service
italics - break of serve

1st set:

1:0 Djokovic's serve (15-0s, 30-0, 40-0)
2:0 Fish's serve (0-15, 0-30, 15-30s, 15-40)
3:0 Djokovic (15-0s, 30-0a, 30-15, 30-30, 40-30)
3:1 Fish (15-0a, 30-0s, 40-0)
3:2 Djokovic (15-0a, 15-15, 15-30, 15-40)
4:2 Fish (0-15, 0-30, 15-30, 30-30, 40-30, D, AF, D, AD, D, ADd, d)
5:2 Djokovic (15-0, 15-15, 30-15s, 30-30, 40-30s, D, AD)
6:2 Fish (15-0, 30-0, 30-15, 30-30, 40-30s, D, AFa, D, AD)

2nd set:

1:0 Djokovic (0-15, 15-15, 30-15, 40-15, s)
1:1 Fish (15-0, 15-15d, 30-15, 40-15s, 40-30, D, AF, D, AFs, s)
2:1 Djokovic (15-0, 15-15, 15-30, 30-30, 40-30a, D, ADa)
2:2 Fish (15-0, 30-0s, 30-15, 40-15a)
3:2 Djokovic (15-0, 30-0a, 40-0, a)
4:2 Fish (0-15, 0-30, 15-30, 30-30a, 30-40)
4:3 Djokovic (15-0, 15-15, 15-30, 15-40, d)
4:4 Fish (15-0s, 30-0, 30-15, 40-15a)
5:4 Djokovic (15-0, 30-0, 40-0, s)
5:5 Fish (0-15, 0-30, 15-30, 30-30, 40-30s)
5:6 Djokovic (0-15, 0-30, 15-30, 15-40)
5:7 Fish (0-15, 15-15, 30-15s, 30-30, 40-30s, s)

3rd set:

2:0 Fish (0-15, 15-15, 15-30, 15-40d)
3:0 Djokovic (15-0, 15-15, 15-30, 30-30s, 40-30s, a)
3:1 Fish (15-0, 30-0s, 40-0s)
4:1 Djokovic (15-0, 15-15, 30-15, 40-15s)
4:2 Fish (0-15, 15-15, 30-15s, 40-15s, s)
5:2 Djokovic (15-0, 30-0, 30-15, 30-30, 40-30s)
5:3 Fish (15-0, 30-0, 40-0a, s)
6:3 Djokovic (15-0s, 30-0, 40-0a, 40-15, s)

:worship: Voo :worship:

aeronatasha
03-24-2008, 02:28 AM
Thanks Voo, in great detail as usual.;)

Oh I'm so happy.:D

Roland9
03-24-2008, 02:29 AM
3rd set:

Definitely the key moment of the match, not to mention a brilliant one.

rofe
03-24-2008, 02:30 AM
Two Serbians winning the same TMS has got to be a very proud achievement for Serbia. Kudos to these players for putting Serbia on the map again. :hatoff:

Corswandt
03-24-2008, 02:30 AM
Amazing that Nole won the whole thing while playing nowhere near his best. This used to be an exclusive of Fed.

Still hope that the loathsome Nadal will never make it to #1.

seljanin
03-24-2008, 02:37 AM

Amazing job! Hats off :hatoff:

Voo de Mar
03-24-2008, 02:38 AM
Amazing job! Hats off :hatoff:

Thank you :)

morningglory
03-24-2008, 02:49 AM
Almost... almost :lol: Almost choked it away, eh Novak? :bounce: Congratz... I'd certainly you win this rather than Fedbot or Nadal

Corey Feldman
03-24-2008, 02:59 AM
:lol: Voo de Mar

do you sit and watch matches with a big A4 notepad and write every exact moment of the match?

l_mac
03-24-2008, 03:06 AM
:(

Nole has officially made it at MTF. 96 posts - no-one gives a fuck when he wins :lol:

Mardy - shocked you couldn't pull this one out :haha:

Nole - :worship: GL in Miami :hug:

Voo de Mar
03-24-2008, 03:08 AM
:lol: Voo de Mar

do you sit and watch matches with a big A4 notepad

Sometimes :D You know, I like this stats stuff :cool:

and write every exact moment of the match?

Not every moment only the most important ones ;)
In the attchement 2 first sets of this final in the original :wavey:

Corey Feldman
03-24-2008, 03:10 AM

In the attchement 2 first sets of this final in the original :wavey:Amazing :bowdown:

njnetswill
03-24-2008, 03:11 AM

:eek:

belco
03-24-2008, 03:11 AM
Woke up to the best news ever :)

Nole won :bounce: and Ana won :bounce: :bounce: :woohoo:

ChinoRios4Ever
03-24-2008, 03:17 AM
:sad:

Sleepwalker64
03-24-2008, 03:26 AM
Fish was good...Fisherman not so good ...but it was enough:worship:

sawan66278
03-24-2008, 03:26 AM
As in men tennis also in women tennis Serbs rule in Indian Wells!
Congrats to Novak, but to Ana also.

No, the best week would be Jelena vs Ana final, Djokovic win and Zimonjic win ;)

Sorry, WTA tennis does not count for anything...but time wasting.:devil:

Impressive "gut check" win by Novak. Three aces at the beginning of the third is "Jordan-esque".

Has there EVER been a poorer serving performance on first serves by a finalist? What was Fish's first serve percentage for the match?:eek:

One other point: the Serbian fans who are "acting up" during the matches...are doing a real disservice to the players they support. Cheering while people are trying to serve...to the extent that the chair umpire has to chastise like he is dealing with infants in preschool turns neutral fans against the Serbian players.

On the one hand, you have Novak applauding his opponent's shots. On the other hand, you have his fans disrupting the match in a an unsportsmanlike manner. This is not helping, Novak...and is turning neutral fans against him.

Bascule
03-24-2008, 03:29 AM

Impressive "gut check" win by Novak. Three aces at the beginning of the third is "Jordan-esque".

Has there EVER been a poorer serving performance on first serves by a finalist? What was Fish's first serve percentage for the match?:eek:

One other point: the Serbian fans who are "acting up" during the matches...are doing a real disservice to the players they support. Cheering while people are trying to serve...to the extent that the chair umpire has to chastise like he is dealing with infants in preschool turns neutral fans against the Serbian players.

On the one hand, you have Novak applauding his opponent's shots. On the other hand, you have his fans disrupting the match in a an unsportsmanlike manner.

I thought tennis is a sport for girls.:devil:
So, you better question your mind.;)

Riley_K
03-24-2008, 03:36 AM
http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/happy/happy0064.gif (http://ezinearticles.com/?Swivel-Sweeper-Review--Using-Swivel-Sweeper&id=1007006) Nice one Djoko!
And well done to Mardy too, he had a great tournament. http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/happy/happy0159.gif (http://ezinearticles.com/?Swivel-Sweeper-Review--Using-Swivel-Sweeper&id=1007006)

Alex999
03-24-2008, 03:36 AM

On the one hand, you have Novak applauding his opponent's shots. On the other hand, you have his fans disrupting the match in a an unsportsmanlike manner. This is not helping, Novak...and is turning neutral fans against him.
wow Sawan, I never thought we could agree on anything, great post

Aloimeh
03-24-2008, 03:47 AM

1.) I don't agree with you that WTA tennis is not a sport. Women are built differently and we can't expect the same things from them as from men. However, their matches, in their own idiosyncratic way, can be quite entertaining, more for the mental battles/seesaws than the shotmaking.

2.) Agree with you on the Serb fans, but they were reprimanded by both Ana in her victory speech and by the umpire in Novak's match, *after* Ana basically told them to shut up. Sharapova also sniped at them after the AO final. They'll hopefully learn that this is not soccer, and soon, or else they will quickly turn the people they support into the most hated on their respective tours. The thing that annoys me is that, unlike some people who've encouraged such behavior, neither Ana nor Novak have encouraged this and have even tried to suppress it. Hopefully some "desensitization" will happen as Novak and Ana win more and more and these fans will settle down.

Corey Feldman
03-24-2008, 03:50 AM

On the one hand, you have Novak applauding his opponent's shots. On the other hand, you have his fans disrupting the match in a an unsportsmanlike manner.Typical Serb football hooligans turning up

bet they dont even know the rules of tennis

Fee
03-24-2008, 03:56 AM
There were a couple of unruly fans in the Ancic-Gonzo match, but it was on Stadium 2 so no one noticed I guess. Steve Ulrich got on them immediately and they settled down (they were actually quite fun in the changeovers). I don't think this behavior is exclusive to Serbian fans, but it was good of both Ana and Novak to speak up about it.

Lee
03-24-2008, 03:58 AM
There were a couple of unruly fans in the Ancic-Gonzo match, but it was on Stadium 2 so no one noticed I guess. Steve Ulrich got on them immediately and they settled down (they were actually quite fun in the changeovers). I don't think this behavior is exclusive to Serbian fans, but it was good of both Ana and Novak to speak up about it.

Are you talking about some Chilean supporters?

sawan66278
03-24-2008, 04:02 AM
I thought tennis is a sport for girls.:devil:
So, you better question your mind.;)

Tell that Marion Bartoli:devil:

wow Sawan, I never thought we could agree on anything, great post

We've agreed before...think about it: THREE ACES IN A ROW. That's like Jordan against the Trailblazers in the NBA finals.:eek:

1.) I don't agree with you that WTA tennis is not a sport. Women are built differently and we can't expect the same things from them as from men. However, their matches, in their own idiosyncratic way, can be quite entertaining, more for the mental battles/seesaws than the shotmaking.

2.) Agree with you on the Serb fans, but they were reprimanded by both Ana in her victory speech and by the umpire in Novak's match, *after* Ana basically told them to shut up. Sharapova also sniped at them after the AO final. They'll hopefully learn that this is not soccer, and soon, or else they will quickly turn the people they support into the most hated on their respective tours. The thing that annoys me is that, unlike some people who've encouraged such behavior, neither Ana nor Novak have encouraged this and have even tried to suppress it. Hopefully some "desensitization" will happen as Novak and Ana win more and more and these fans will settle down.

Again, Aloimeh...think about Marion Bartoli. The women's game is more about fashion and choking leads than anything else. I could go on and on about the women's game...but I wouldn't want to fall asleep in my own drool.

Rather than counting sheep when I can't sleep, I'll just think about the women's tour.:devil:

Another thing too, Aloimeh. Novak is in a tough position, because when he cheers "at" the Serbian fans...and neutral fans see the way the "out of control" Serbian fans are acting (not all...just certain pockets...who invariably have seem to be at the top of the stadiums), they assume a "J-Block" scenario is in effect: i.e. that Novak is actually encouraging such behavior.

And then you add the Crasstastic Four...and its a public relations disaster for Djokovic. I don't know if he cares, but its a shame nonetheless.

sawan66278
03-24-2008, 04:03 AM

Steve Ulrich...such a "classy" official:rolleyes:

Fee
03-24-2008, 04:04 AM
Are you talking about some Chilean supporters?

Oh yeah, sorry. Should have been clear about that. Yes, it was just a few in their group. They were directly across from me. They weren't mean spirited, just boisterous. Once Ulrich got on them that one time, they got in line and behaved properly. They were enthusiastic right until Mario won his last match point, I give them credit for that.

Bascule
03-24-2008, 04:05 AM

There's almost always some jerk spoiling the match. I remember a kid/boy yelling all the time in Belgrade during Serbia - Australia matches with Novak. How about sending this man away from the court? Is there a way to do something concretely about it?

savesthedizzle
03-24-2008, 04:07 AM
Chileans usually have pretty vocal fans at every event I've ever been to, but usually they're pretty good at keeping their cheering and flag waving to appropriate times :D

malica
03-24-2008, 04:10 AM
Typical Serb football hooligans turning up

With players like Novak, Ana, Jelana, Zimonjic and Janko they will have plenty opportunity to learn.

On the other hand some other player could learn from Novak when oponent serve an ace or when ball was called out and it was in to admit it no matter if the line judges make mistacke.

Aloimeh
03-24-2008, 04:17 AM
There's almost always some jerk spoiling the match. I remember a kid/boy yelling all the time in Belgrade during Serbia - Australia matches with Novak. How about sending this man away from the court? Is there a way to do something concretely about it?

I don't know, but if Novak/Ana/Jelena/whoever perhaps told them to STFU they'd listen. However, somehow I doubt it. Don't they get that their faves' accomplishments speak for themselves *and* their country. By acting like cretins they are only forcing their faves to apologize for these cretins' behavior.

sawan66278
03-24-2008, 04:19 AM
:eek:Can you imagine what will happen if the ITF ever decides to have a two or three week Davis Cup tourney, a la World Cup?:eek:

Hooliganism will spread like the wildfire!!!!!!!!!:eek:

sawan66278
03-24-2008, 04:20 AM
I don't know, but if Novak/Ana/Jelena/whoever perhaps told them to STFU they'd listen. However, somehow I doubt it. Don't they get that their faves' accomplishments speak for themselves *and* their country. By acting like cretins they are only forcing their faves to apologize for these cretins' behavior.

I know I'm being hypocritical asking about the...gulp...WTA tour, but what did Ana say?

Aloimeh
03-24-2008, 04:22 AM
Again, Aloimeh...think about Marion Bartoli. The women's game is more about fashion and choking leads than anything else. I could go on and on about the women's game...but I wouldn't want to fall asleep in my own drool.

Rather than counting sheep when I can't sleep, I'll just think about the women's tour.:devil:

Another thing too, Aloimeh. Novak is in a tough position, because when he cheers "at" the Serbian fans...and neutral fans see the way the "out of control" Serbian fans are acting (not all...just certain pockets...who invariably have seem to be at the top of the stadiums), they assume a "J-Block" scenario is in effect: i.e. that Novak is actually encouraging such behavior.

And then you add the Crasstastic Four...and its a public relations disaster for Djokovic. I don't know if he cares, but its a shame nonetheless.

Lol at the drool. Were you always anti-WTA or just this particular era? Because people like Graf, Seles, Navratilova, etc. did not seem like chokers at all. Granted, Novotna took the grand prize in that category, but some of the female tennis greats were mentally strong.

As for those idiot Serbian fans, I think Novak realizes that they're a PR disaster, he just has to try to figure out how to shut them up. They belong at a football match and they probably came from that. These people beat each other up during the Partizan-Red Star football matches, so you can hardly wonder at their "low key" retarded behavior at a tennis match. Novak's family, admittedly, has been OTT but I think he will reign them in. He is quite attune to what annoys people - imitations, tearing off the shirt, etc. now seem to have been retired. Hopefully he will "retire" his family's antics and somehow get the fans under control, but how? :confused:

Aloimeh
03-24-2008, 04:24 AM
I know I'm being hypocritical asking about the...gulp...WTA tour, but what did Ana say?

In her acceptance speech she sorta apologized for the retards who were cheering Kuznetsova's errors, etc. She's all class and so is her family.

And you're the BIGGEST hypocrite for asking. :p

sawan66278
Lol at the drool. Were you always anti-WTA or just this particular era? Because people like Graf, Seles, Navratilova, etc. did not seem like chokers at all. Granted, Novotna took the grand prize in that category, but some of the female tennis greats were mentally strong.

As for those idiot Serbian fans, I think Novak realizes that they're a PR disaster, he just has to try to figure out how to shut them up. They belong at a football match and they probably came from that. These people beat each other up during the Partizan-Red Star football matches, so you can hardly wonder at their "low key" retarded behavior at a tennis match. Novak's family, admittedly, has been OTT but I think he will reign them in. He is quite attune to what annoys people - imitations, tearing off the shirt, etc. now seem to have been retired. Hopefully he will "retire" his family's antics and somehow get the fans under control, but how? :confused:

What did you think about his biting the trophy, a la Rafa? Was it out of respect or :devil:?

Scotso

Aloimeh
03-24-2008, 04:27 AM
What did you think about his biting the trophy, a la Rafa? Was it out of respect or :devil:?

I don't know and I don't think it really matters. I think he respects Rafa and hates Roger. Ever since DC 2006, Roger has been the bete noir/:devil: of that family and the family's sole purpose is crushing Roger into the mire. Rafa is a very tangential concern.

He has done "unconventional" things with the trophy before, such as kiss the runner-up plate at the USO 2007.

Branimir
03-24-2008, 04:28 AM
The problem are not loud fans. Come on... Tennis is no strange to loud fans, it's not like Serbian fans brought noise to tennis. I watch tennis for long time, and have seen many matches where officials asked fans to shut up after every single point. Now problem with Serbian fans is that they are so few sometimes, and they are trying to outyell everyone else, thus looking sometimes so bad.

But not applauding the winner when he was getting the trophy? Well that's classless.

Aloimeh
03-24-2008, 04:30 AM
The problem are not loud fans. Come on... Tennis is no strange to loud fans, it's not like Serbian fans brought noise to tennis. I watch tennis for long time, and have seen many matches where officials asked fans to shut up after every single point. Now problem with Serbian fans is that they are so few sometimes, and they are trying to outyell everyone else, thus looking sometimes so bad.

But not applauding the winner when he was getting the trophy? Well that's classless.

Perhaps its because they are getting the nosebleed seats and there aren't many of them they are trying to "make up." He needs to do some PR control. It's so sad that Ana's and Novak's accomplishments get tarnished by a bunch of cretins who don't get how damaging they are.

sawan66278
03-24-2008, 04:31 AM
I don't know and I don't think it really matters. I think he respects Rafa and hates Roger. Ever since DC 2006, Roger has been the bete noir/:devil: of that family and the family's sole purpose is crushing Roger into the mire. Rafa is a very tangential concern.

He has done "unconventional" things with the trophy before, such as kiss the runner-up plate at the USO 2007.

I've disliked the WTA tour ever since they decided to award equal prize money to the women.

With respect to the biting, I call it "chalkboard material". Michael Jordan, back in the day, would use ANY type of motivation to get him fired up to crush his opponents: quotes in newspapers, jokes, etc. To me, I believe Rafa will use this as EXTRA motivation the next time they meet. Even if Novak meant it in a playful way, competitors like Rafa will take that...and use that to make the matter personal...to get them even more pumped up.

Much like the impressions, I think, at times, Novak does things that can be misconstrued...and that, at some point, will possibly hurt him in the future.

sawan66278
03-24-2008, 04:33 AM
Perhaps its because they are getting the nosebleed seats and there aren't many of them they are trying to "make up." He needs to do some PR control. It's so sad that Ana's and Novak's accomplishments get tarnished by a bunch of cretins who don't get how damaging they are.

Excellent point. That is why, I think Novak has to:

1. Either ignore them...and not acknowledge them specifically when he wins
2. Not yell and cheer towards them, but only to his coaching box.

sawan66278
03-24-2008, 04:34 AM
Or:

3. Pull a Macauley Culkin: and divorce his parents. :devil:

Branimir
03-24-2008, 04:37 AM

Man, stfu for real. You are speaking about the fans like they were throwing stones from the stands. Yeah, they are not used to boring tennis matches where audience is like it's a theater. It is in our Serbian mentality to be exited. Just because Brits invented the game, and made it for "high class" people, it doesn't mean that few laud fans can destroy image of Nole and Ana. Again, Serbs are not inventors of laud cheering during tennis matches! Just because Serbs are now good and gets so far, our fans are more noticeable. Ever heard Argentinian fans especially during Canas - Djokovic in Miami last year?

Aloimeh
03-24-2008, 04:39 AM
Or:

3. Pull a Macauley Culkin: and divorce his parents. :devil:

Geez, his parents are not really evil. They're probably very loving, self-sacrificing, supportive parents to Novak. It takes guts to be one of the very few fans at the AO semi and final who are cheering loudly for the guy the crowd dislikes and wearing NOLE T-shirts at that. They're arrogant and abrasive towards others, and most especially towards Roger Federer. They have a "bunker mentality," I think, which leads to people acting so hyperdefensively that they become offensive. Novak has that too, in a somewhat different way. He probably felt "persecuted" by the pro-French AO crowd and even the umpire and so he lashed out by glaring, firing aces, and jabbing at the crowd in his victory speech.

Aloimeh
03-24-2008, 04:48 AM
Man, stfu for real. You are speaking about the fans like they were throwing stones from the stands. Yeah, they are not used to boring tennis matches where audience is like it's a theater. It is in our Serbian mentality to be exited. Just because Brits invented the game, and made it for "high class" people, it doesn't mean that few laud fans can destroy image of Nole and Ana. Again, Serbs are not inventors of laud cheering during tennis matches! Just because Serbs are now good and gets so far, our fans are more noticeable. Ever heard Argentinian fans especially during Canas - Djokovic in Miami last year?

Yes, but what you fail to understand is that Serbs must act like angels in front of the media because everything and anything *human* that Serbs do that is not *pleasant* is automatically rerouted into "those Serbs, they're just like Nazis" propaganda of 20 years ago. It's sad, but that's the way it is. If you live in Serbia, you probably don't know what it was like in the US to be of Serbian heritage (as me). As a kid I heard people say that we ought to be killed. It's like we were animals. And it was based on a whole heap of lies, and one-sided stories, and fabrications, and exaggerations.

But what I'm saying is that even if *one* Serb fan behaves badly or Dijana says something stupid, or something of this nature, a lot of ignorant neutral people (not just the haters!) are going to say "well, that's just what these awful Serbs are really like, we knew that since Milosevic, blablabla."

It's really sad but there's been a profound dehumanization of that nation. It has happened to other nations too. If a Jew is involved in a financial scandal in Europe, for example, there are people immediately pointing fingers "those Jews, they're always robbing..." whereas if a Gentile does the same financial scandal, he is not so labeled. If these tennis players want to present the *true* image of the Serbian people as human beings (who have their bright side and their faults) and to cause the haters and ignorant to read a bit more into the truth and actually reconsider their ill-founded positions, they have to behave in an almost "super-nice" way that other nations in sports or other arenas are not held up to.

Clay Death
03-24-2008, 04:57 AM
Geez, his parents are not really evil. They're probably very loving, self-sacrificing, supportive parents to Novak. It takes guts to be one of the very few fans at the AO semi and final who are cheering loudly for the guy the crowd dislikes and wearing NOLE T-shirts at that. They're arrogant and abrasive towards others, and most especially towards Roger Federer. They have a "bunker mentality," I think, which leads to people acting so hyperdefensively that they become offensive. Novak has that too, in a somewhat different way. He probably felt "persecuted" by the pro-French AO crowd and even the umpire and so he lashed out by glaring, firing aces, and jabbing at the crowd in his victory speech.

i have Serbian friends in West LA. i have to say that they are emotional people and full of life. they are also not bad people. i wish they would stop trying to hug the shit out of me when they see me.

i have to be honest here. i like djokovic but not nearly as much as i like the Clay Monster. that said, i do not really have a problem with Djokovic`s family. what he has achieved and is in the process of achieving will probably never happen again. i mean he is the one the who is actually going to take down one of the greatest players ever lived.

this is once in a lifetime achievement for him and his family. his parents are overjoyed and excited out of their minds. i would expect my parents to be the same way if i was the one doing something historical like this. they are very emotional about it.

lets face it Fed has not made it any easier for them. he has been arrogant and he openly says that he does not like Djokovic. Novak`s parents are just being very protective of their child. i dont have problem with it.

finally, can you imagine if Novak was a mug like davydenko or berdych or even some of the other clowns. he would have no chance against Fed. his family instilled a monster belief in him and his abilities. he is doing the rest.

i would appreciate if the bastard (Novak) was a little more respectful of Rafa but maybe it will make Rafa better and tougher down the road. so its all good. tennis needs this.

ret
03-24-2008, 05:01 AM
:worship:Congrats to Nole. The Serbs rule today.:worship:

Benny_Maths
03-24-2008, 05:18 AM
Well it looks like Djokovic could dominate once Federer truly declines. That's because unlike many past AO champs, he hasn't just won the AO and then made a pathetic run at the first two master series of the season.

Kolya
03-24-2008, 05:34 AM
Thanks for beating Fish.

UncleZeke
03-24-2008, 06:04 AM
great run by Mardy.

Bascule
03-24-2008, 08:05 AM
i have Serbian friends in West LA. i have to say that they are emotional people and full of life. they are also not bad people. i wish they would stop trying to hug the shit out of me when they see me.

i have to be honest here. i like djokovic but not nearly as much as i like the Clay Monster. that said, i do not really have a problem with Djokovic`s family. what he has achieved and is in the process of achieving will probably never happen again. i mean he is the one the who is actually going to take down one of the greatest players ever lived.

this is once in a lifetime achievement for him and his family. his parents are overjoyed and excited out of their minds. i would expect my parents to be the same way if i was the one doing something historical like this. they are very emotional about it.

lets face it Fed has not made it any easier for them. he has been arrogant and he openly says that he does not like Djokovic. Novak`s parents are just being very protective of their child. i dont have problem with it.

finally, can you imagine if Novak was a mug like davydenko or berdych or even some of the other clowns. he would have no chance against Fed. his family instilled a monster belief in him and his abilities. he is doing the rest.

i would appreciate if the bastard (Novak) was a little more respectful of Rafa but maybe it will make Rafa better and tougher down the road. so its all good. tennis needs this.

Very good post, CD. Why do you mind this "little hugs" with Serbs? :)

I really think the biting was the impression, but I find it amusing. Actually that shows the respect to the clay monster. And, yes, probably will pump up Rafa...what is good.;)

And, hey, don't get too exited about one or few "fans". They don't represent the real Nole's fans, not even the whole nation. We know nothing about them. And, also, Novak DID always react to the "bad" manners of fans.

And, don't forget, on this day 9 years ago, the "angel of mercy" started with the deliverance of the sweet little packages to us. And this is the best possible way to bring them back and say: thanks. :)

muniu
03-24-2008, 09:47 AM
Ugly match ........ but a win is a win :bounce:
Congrats Novak :rocker2: So far he's the best player in the world ( in 2008) :bolt:

Congrats Serbia. You have an amazing and beautiful players - Ana :hearts:

HeretiC
03-24-2008, 09:49 AM
IMO Fish played more passive than in the previous round,

Maybe just a bit comparing to a match against Federer, but on the other hand even more comparing to a match against Hewitt and Nalbandian. Aggressive play didn't pay much with Nole cause he is a better defender than Nalbandian and Federer and he was forced to go for more and more which resulted in UE's at the end. I was quite surprised with his ability to stay in long rallies with passive shots and actually winning the lots of them (whole week not just last match). Fact is the he was very inconsistent player in general in the past period but not during this week. I think that support from the audience helped him a lot in that and suspect that he will be back to his usually himself as soon as circus leaves US.

Djokovic below his normal level. It was three-setter, actually only thanks to decline of concentration by Nole. He played terrible game at *4:2 in the 2nd set, his concentration disappeared. It could be routine 6-2 6-3 win only if Nole was so concentrated like in the match against Canas or Nadal...

Yes, Djokovic didn't play that good like in the match with Canas and Nadal, but he played way better than the match against Wawrinka.

blueskye
03-24-2008, 09:58 AM
Well done too Novak :worship: He came through a very tough opponent in the final, but also a bigh congrats too Mardy for his excellent results through the tournament :)

HeretiC
03-24-2008, 10:07 AM
Excellent point. That is why, I think Novak has to:

1. Either ignore them...and not acknowledge them specifically when he wins
2. Not yell and cheer towards them, but only to his coaching box.

In AO there was few occasions where he didn't cheer toward them, but on contrary he was yelling at them to STFU( of course with a more appropriate words but the meaning was that).

Chiseller
03-24-2008, 10:11 AM

omg, you must be german! :p

martine2
03-24-2008, 10:22 AM
Congrats to Fish for an amazing run :yeah: and to Nole for the title.

Hank777
03-24-2008, 11:00 AM
Good Win for Djokjer, I must say that he's has really been on the Rise in a spectacular way ... :eek:

Good tourney for FISH he can look back on a terrific week, lost to probably the best current hardcourt player, and even took a set, not bad at all, hope he does well in Miami too! :cool:

Bilbo
03-24-2008, 11:40 AM
have you seen those serbs hooligans swinging their scarfs? those are the types of people who pollute our sport.

bring back fed. he's better for this sport in a leading role.

Typical Serb football hooligans turning up

they don't even know how a tennis ball looks like from their cheap seats in the last row

Corey Feldman
03-24-2008, 11:52 AM
omg, you must be german! :p:lol:
why?

is this like when British football media talk about 'typical German efficiency' ? - Voo DM and his 10 rooms full of notepads with details of every point of every match he has ever watched

DDrago2
03-24-2008, 11:57 AM

:confused:

Jadranka
03-24-2008, 11:58 AM
Serbian Wells :yeah:

Well done, Nole :worship:

Exodus
03-24-2008, 11:59 AM
damn fish why didn't you turn to shark mode :)

Okonsky
03-24-2008, 11:59 AM

Handsome:rolleyes:, good location:worship:

Corey Feldman
03-24-2008, 12:03 PM
Handsome:rolleyes:, good location:worship:I hear its a nice place ..:devil:

*Ljubica*
03-24-2008, 12:46 PM
Congrats to Nole :bigclap: Despite the bitterness of many "haters" here, in this tournament, he yet again displayed his class, sportsmanship and manners.......... in his acceptance speech, his appaluse for opponents' good shots, and even "giving" an opponent a point when the linespeople had called it out, but he knew it was in :worship: He was a well deserved champion in IW, and certainly the best player on hard courts at the moment, and hopefully will move even further up the rankings very soon :)

Many congrats to Mardy Fish - who had a magnificent week :) Some people here have mentioned his failure to congratulate Nole in his speech.......... I noticed it too, but I honestly don't think it was an intentional slight. He isn't in that position very often, and seemed somewhat overwhealmed at the end of the match - at one point I thought he looked like he was going to cry :awww: Good luck to him for the rest of 2008.

Grunge
03-24-2008, 12:48 PM
@Aloimeh

Mate, don't worry about Braninir, Vucina comments. You are 100% right in your posts. You don't have to prove anything to them, especially you don't have to prove them your heritage. Those "fans" cheereing during points (or when players are in their service motion) are pure idiots, and should be kicked out of stadium during Ivanovic - Kuznetsova match. Most tennis fans in Serbia think this way, and if Branimir doesn't believe me, I will give him a link to tennis forum in Serbian language, so he can read what our tennis fans think about those "fans" on stadium.

FedererSlam
03-24-2008, 12:50 PM
This was a funny tournament. I thought Nole played alright nothing to write home about in the end.

Fish had so much momentum and those 3BP in the 3rd set. Novak served huge (3 aces I think) but I think his extended ball bouncing and slow tempo of play helps him to remove momentum against him.

Throughout the match I thought it was hard for Fish to get momentum because of this. Djoko needs to reduce his ball bouncing soon, it really can affect his opponents adversely.

kristanmichelle
03-24-2008, 01:19 PM
Nole played well during this tournament, it was a good win for him. So far this year, he is proving himself the best player in the world. I do not know if he can maintain this or if it will change.

A great week for Fish. I hope he can translate these results to his best year yet. We will see.

Overall, FSN (specifically in Ohio) needs to provide better coverage.

tskimny
03-24-2008, 01:30 PM
As expected.

Go Nole!!!

StZox
03-24-2008, 01:37 PM
Bravo Nole,
You proved that you are the best player at the moment.
Clay season would be interesting!!!!!!!

zcess81
03-24-2008, 01:45 PM
Well it looks like Djokovic could dominate once Federer truly declines. That's because unlike many past AO champs, he hasn't just won the AO and then made a pathetic run at the first two master series of the season.

It will be interesting to see how he does in Miami. Last year after Montreal he was knocked out in his first match. Although I do not think that will happen this time as he has the title to defend, I do not see him winning it...semis would be a good run for him. I hope I'm wrong and he wins it, but it will take a major effort.

zcess81
03-24-2008, 01:49 PM
I must admit that I do not like Fish very much considering after some of his antics last year (especially Mathieu incident), but after listening to his pre-match interview he comes across as a nice guy, so maybe I was a bit harsh on him. Maybe he'll grow on me. Actually I hope he does well in Miami.

Spes
03-24-2008, 01:53 PM
It will be interesting to see how he does in Miami. Last year after Montreal he was knocked out in his first match. Although I do not think that will happen this time as he has the title to defend, I do not see him winning it...semis would be a good run for him. I hope I'm wrong and he wins it, but it will take a major effort.

I don't see how it will be any different from last year, where he made the final of IW then came right back and won Miami. He is even fitter and stronger than last year, so I don't see a problem.

zcess81
03-24-2008, 01:54 PM
have you seen those serbs hooligans swinging their scarfs? those are the types of people who pollute our sport.

they don't even know how a tennis ball looks like from their cheap seats in the last row

Nothing wrong with swinging scarfs and cheering loudly IN BETWEEN POINTS. Only when supporters shout during opponents serve or during the match is when it becomes unacceptable. That I do not accept as appropriate fan behaviour. We need Davis Cup atmosphere during matches and perhaps tennis will become more passionate and more popular sport.

star
03-24-2008, 02:26 PM
Oh well, I don't think the Serbian cheering section was so bad. Most of the stadium was cheering for Fish, anyway.

You know there are a group calling themselves "The Samurai" who are college age boys cheering for Sam Querry. I think they also cheered for Ana at one match. Anyway, someone complained about them cheering at a match (they were in the box seat section) and actually summoned law enforcement. I saw the deputies observing the Samurai for quiet some time before they left without doing anything. I think really the loud cheering doesn't have anything to do with the nationality. The Chileans were out in force too. Cheering like mad. They are such fun. I even heard the ball kids talking about them and one sang their little "ole ole" song. I think the Serbians like any other cheering block will learn to be more observant of those around them and the need to be quiet between points. :)

RonE
03-24-2008, 02:42 PM
Congrats McNoleo :yeah:

Great to see him following up on the AO with a Masters title despite the small "slump" in between.

He is certainly the man to beat at the big hardcourt events. :hatoff:

Grunge
03-24-2008, 02:50 PM
Oh well, I don't think the Serbian cheering section was so bad. Most of the stadium was cheering for Fish, anyway.

You know there are a group calling themselves "The Samurai" who are college age boys cheering for Sam Querry. I think they also cheered for Ana at one match. Anyway, someone complained about them cheering at a match (they were in the box seat section) and actually summoned law enforcement. I saw the deputies observing the Samurai for quiet some time before they left without doing anything. I think really the loud cheering doesn't have anything to do with the nationality. The Chileans were out in force too. Cheering like mad. They are such fun. I even heard the ball kids talking about them and one sang their little "ole ole" song. I think the Serbians like any other cheering block will learn to be more observant of those around them and the need to be quiet between points. :)

It is ok to cheer between points as loud as you can. It is good for tennis, it makes things more hot and more interesting. But making noise during points or service motion is unacceptable. Guys who do that should be kicked out of stadium ASAP.

Bilbo
03-24-2008, 02:57 PM
Only when supporters shout during opponents serve or during the match is when it becomes unacceptable.

It happened in the WTA final if you haven't seen it. The umpire had to calm down these Serbian fans several times when Kuznetsova was serving.

Voo de Mar
03-24-2008, 02:57 PM
omg, you must be german! :p

I'm Pole but a father of my great-grandfather was a German :wavey:

MaryX
03-24-2008, 03:26 PM
I don't want to defend those primitive people that was cheering for Novak and Ana yesterday.It was totally inadequate, and may be more important, made both Novak and Ana feel very ashamed.Although many think Novak has no manners, he has nothing to do with this kind of people and those people won't do any good for Novak's and Serbian image.And that was not the first time.Much worse was at Vienna :ashamed: .

But the main thing is that Novak won his another big trophy :yeah: .Well deserved and many to come!

Chiseller
03-24-2008, 03:33 PM
why?

is this like when British football media talk about 'typical German efficiency' ? - Voo DM and his 10 rooms full of notepads with details of every point of every match he has ever watched

Well, it's an often used prejudice. Germans are always considered as precise and meticulous. I would say it stems from the Nazi-Deutschland as they documented - staggeringly exact - every single action they did.
Especially the Brits love to make use of those prejudices.

I'm Pole but a father of my great-grandfather was a German :wavey:

I thought you would devitalise it. :rolls:

Branimir
03-24-2008, 03:46 PM
Those "serbs" ana, and nole fans that where cheering "surbia" "surbia" (like said in few articles), are not Serbs, they are all americans, and if you don't believe me, check their passports, and if single one of them has "Serbia" as the country they are born I will pretend to be nole hater on MTF.

Adler
03-24-2008, 03:48 PM
Great to see him following up on the AO with a Masters title despite the small "slump" in between.
Remember that Fed also had a similar slump in 2004 (won AO, then lost in Rotterdam to Henman and followed it up by winning Indian Wells

aeronatasha
03-24-2008, 05:10 PM

Wow you sure sound like an elitist snob.:) Maybe some can't afford front row seats? Maybe they find cheering for their fave most acceptable while standing above everyone so they wouldn't get in any rich guy's eye? They're polluting the sport? Swinging their scarfs? Yeah. That's just pushing it, soooooooo outrageous. :rolleyes:

Rude people exist in every nation, no need to tie them to a specific nation.

Voo de Mar
03-24-2008, 05:10 PM
IMO Fish played more passive than in the previous round

Maybe just a bit comparing to a match against Federer, but on the other hand even more comparing to a match against Hewitt and Nalbandian. Aggressive play didn't pay much with Nole cause he is a better defender than Nalbandian and Federer and he was forced to go for more and more which resulted in UE's at the end.

Unfortunately I lost the letter "s", I meant to say "in the previous rounds". I had seen Fish's matches against Davydenko, Hewitt, Nalbandian and Federer and I saw the difference between those matches and the final. But as you said, Djokovic is a better defender than these players, so Fish had problems with attacking game. After all Kolya, Hewitt and Fat Dave are also very good players in the deffend therefore I was a little surprised that Fish was so passive, especially in the 1st set. Maybe it's a matter of 1st serve, Fish's 1st serve in the 1st set was nightmarish and Djokovic with deep returns forced the American to stay back on the baseline. Djokovic is unbelievably sharp, thinks all the time and adapts perfectly to the style of an opponent, perhaps this was the main factor why Fish was forced to play different tennis than in the previous rounds :shrug:

star
03-24-2008, 05:14 PM
It is ok to cheer between points as loud as you can. It is good for tennis, it makes things more hot and more interesting. But making noise during points or service motion is unacceptable. Guys who do that should be kicked out of stadium ASAP.

How do you know that it was only the Serbs making noise at those times?

Sometimes the crowd gets rowdy because of alcohol consumption and makes a lot of noise even during the points.

If there's an exciting point there is usually noise during that point because people just can't help it.

I'm just not convinced that all the noise in all the tennis venues world wide can be laid at the feet of the Serbs.

HarryMan
03-24-2008, 05:42 PM
What a great week for Fish beating Hewitt, Davydenko Nalbandian and Federer back to back.Simply amazing. You deserve respect sir :hatoff:

And Congrats to Djokovic on yet another title :yeah:

He really is the best player in the world at the moment. He actually won a masters event dropping just one set by playing pretty average tennis throughout the week. Thats really amazing :D

Okonsky
03-24-2008, 05:59 PM
@Aloimeh

Mate, don't worry about Braninir, Vucina comments. You are 100% right in your posts. You don't have to prove anything to them, especially you don't have to prove them your heritage. Those "fans" cheereing during points (or when players are in their service motion) are pure idiots, and should be kicked out of stadium during Ivanovic - Kuznetsova match. Most tennis fans in Serbia think this way, and if Branimir doesn't believe me, I will give him a link to tennis forum in Serbian language, so he can read what our tennis fans think about those "fans" on stadium.

You are so right. Thank you for this post.

Fed Express
03-24-2008, 06:15 PM
Too bad Fish couldnt get to the level he had when he played Federer. But still a great tournament for him. Well played.

connectolove
03-24-2008, 06:42 PM
Expected win.

star
03-24-2008, 06:57 PM
Expected win.

:p

Grunge
03-24-2008, 07:00 PM
How do you know that it was only the Serbs making noise at those times?

Sometimes the crowd gets rowdy because of alcohol consumption and makes a lot of noise even during the points.

If there's an exciting point there is usually noise during that point because people just can't help it.

I'm just not convinced that all the noise in all the tennis venues world wide can be laid at the feet of the Serbs.

Where did I say that? I never talk about nations, but about particular fans. I don't like to generalise things, because it is simply wrong.

star
03-24-2008, 07:01 PM
Where did I say that? I never talk about nations, but about particular fans. I don't like to generalise things, because it is simply wrong.

Then, I misunderstood you. Sorry. :hatoff:

tangerine_dream
03-24-2008, 07:26 PM
I'm so impressed with and proud of Mardy. :worship: He finally grew up this tournament. He didn't self-destruct like he's done so many times before (AO vs Nieminin was the most recent example of this). He didn't mentally fold when he lost a break or a set. I thought the match was over when Nole got the break back in the second set but Mardy held his nerve and remained steadfast which is unusual for him. He had a few nerves in the first game but he wasn't completely overwhelmed by the occasion like I thought he would be. He wasn't a one-match fluke; he took out Hewitt, Davydenko, Nalbandian, and Federer. Mardy, the forgotten American, finally got his due this week. :bigclap:

As for Nole, if anyone still thinks he's not truly a part of the trivalry, then you're dreaming. It's only a matter of time before he stomps over Nadal and gets to Roger. Roger was like a ghost at this tournament, it was like he wasn't there, almost a non-factor. At some point Roger will have to decide what's most important to him: his health or retaining the No. 1 ranking at any cost.

By the way, for all the talk about Nole's gamesmanship, he gave Fish another do-over first serve when those crazy Serbian fans yelled out while Mardy was serving. :hatoff:

expected
Expected in 3
Expected...
expected.
As expected.
Expected win.
:explode: http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/violent002.gif

gmak
03-24-2008, 07:35 PM
Djole :yeah: :woohoo: :D :worship:
He's now won the 2 biggest tournaments of the year! :D

stebs
03-24-2008, 07:38 PM
He wasn't a one-match fluke; he took out Hewitt, Davydenko, Nalbandian, and Federer. Mardy, the forgotten American, finally got his due this week. :bigclap:
Obviously some performances of these names weren't as they would've been usually but regardless that is a VERY impressive route to the final. On paper those were wins over a former #1 and two time GS winner, a former world #3 and multiple slam semi finalist, a former world #3 slam finalist and multiple AMS winner, the world #1 and one of the greatest players of all time.

At some point Roger will have to decide what's most important to him: his health or retaining the No. 1 ranking at any cost.
Federer will understand the ranking system very well as will all pro's and at the end of the day although looking into the next week tennis is about defending points, looking at the future with more perspective it is about winning things and building up points. People who don't understand the rankings think it's unfair that Federer increases his lead over Nadal despite equal results and that Djokovic doesn't really gain much ground. People who do understand the system will know that it all catches up eventually and by failing to amass a bulk of points now Federer will pay when he is defending the following run of results:

RG - F
Wi - W
Ca - F
Ci - W
US - W

It would appear right now as if Djokovic has overtaken Federer on hardcourts. It will be a great test to see if the Swiss can fight back but even if he can and does it is almost ridiculous to think he will defend that streak. Djokovic and Nadal will surely have their chances for the #1 spot near the end of the year.

Corey Feldman
03-24-2008, 10:28 PM
Expected

Deivid23
03-24-2008, 10:30 PM
Those people who moan an complain just bc Serbian fans support their players should STFU and get a life.

Hope this helps

Corey Feldman
03-24-2008, 10:31 PM
Those people who moan an complain just bc Serbian fans support their players should STFU and get a life.

Hope this helpsIt does

we will all sleep at night now that you have spoken Young Einstein

Neely
03-24-2008, 10:33 PM
I'm late and I'm sure some said it already. But let me say it again: A surprisingly great week for Fish :yeah: and Djokovic is just playing too well for the rest of the field currently!

Clay Death
03-24-2008, 10:46 PM
I'm late and I'm sure some said it already. But let me say it again: A surprisingly great week for Fish :yeah: and Djokovic is just playing too well for the rest of the field currently!

he is the new Asphalt King. simply unbeatable on hard courts. his movement now is the best in the game. he has massive finishing power off both wings. think of him as a bigger version of Agassi with leverage to spare. only he can serve a lot bigger than Agassi.

Djoker`s return of serve is world class as well. he will force the rest of the field now to get better or he will just keep taking food off their tables as well as their mortgage money.

NinaNina19
03-24-2008, 11:06 PM
It does

:haha:

thesonofgray
03-25-2008, 12:42 AM

Hope this helps

I moan and complain because some people like to yell while players are serving. Whatever their nationality or bias, the moan and/or complaint is of the same intensity.

It does

tangerine_dream
03-25-2008, 05:18 PM
Novak showed up at a Lakers game afterwards and was interviewed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbdDX1VCQ94

star
03-25-2008, 05:24 PM
Novak showed up at a Lakers game afterwards and was interviewed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbdDX1VCQ94

"Lakers match" :lol: :lol: