Was It A Strategic Tank : Poll & Discussion [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Was It A Strategic Tank : Poll & Discussion

Clay Death
03-23-2008, 09:01 PM
i have seen at least 3 other foums now and even checked out some blogs. there is some speculation that it may have been a strategic tank. call it the principle of bounded rationality. it was rational to him so he did it what ever his reasons might be.

or was he just ill? he did look pale and appears to have lost some weight.

it might be interesting to see what a poll might suggest here. was it a strategic tank? if so, why? what exactly could have been some of those reasons/

Sunset of Age
03-23-2008, 09:03 PM
Roger losing a match seems to inflict Mad Cow Disease is some people...

Clay Death
03-23-2008, 09:08 PM
Roger losing a match seems to inflict Mad Cow Disease is some people...

it will be a mad swiss disease if he keeps getting blasted on the court.

bluefork
03-23-2008, 09:08 PM
i have seen at least 3 other foums now and even checked out some blogs. there is some speculation that it may have been a strategic tank. call it the principle of bounded rationality. it was rational to him so he did it what ever his reason might be.

or was he just ill? he did look pale and appears to have lost some weight.

it might be interesting to see what a poll might suggest here. was it a strategic tank? if so, why?

Please explain to me why the hell he would tank a SF at an AMS tournament? This was an opportunity to distance himself even further in the rankings from Nadal, win his first tournament of they year, and above all, prove that he's not declining after all. What could he possibly have gained by tanking this match?

Marek.
03-23-2008, 09:09 PM
It wasn't a tank but something seemed to be bothering him.

Clay Death
03-23-2008, 09:12 PM
Please explain to me why the hell he would tank a SF at an AMS tournament? This was an opportunity to distance himself even further in the rankings from Nadal, win his first tournament of they year, and above all, prove that he's not declining after all. What could he possibly have gained by tanking this match?

i never said he tanked. there is speculation that he did. my objective was to promote a discussion on this deal and see how people feel.

stebs
:lol:

anon57
Not a tank, He has to be insane to tank a AMS semifinal, especcially since he is yet to reach a final this year.

The Freak
03-23-2008, 09:14 PM
Arguably the dumbest thread ever started. There is no reason for Federer to tank. :rolleyes:

bluefork
03-23-2008, 09:14 PM
i never said he tanked. there is speculation that he did. my objective was to promote a discussion on this deal and see how people feel.

But having read the speculation, I would think you'd know why people are saying that he'd tanked. They must have some justification for that speculation, right?

(Edit: And actually, you voted "It Was a Strategic Tank" so apparently you do think he tanked)

Billy Moonshine
03-23-2008, 09:16 PM
At some point Federer is going to decline. We are seeing the start of that now. That is all. Tanking here would not be good for Federer before the Claycourt season where he normally only wins Hamburg.

Ivanatis
03-23-2008, 09:17 PM
oh cmon

this is not even worth discussing:rolleyes:

krakenzero
03-23-2008, 09:18 PM
Why do you people keep responding this guy's threads? That's what I want to know...

Clay Death
03-23-2008, 09:34 PM
But having read the speculation, I would think you'd know why people are saying that he'd tanked. They must have some justification for that speculation, right?

(Edit: And actually, you voted "It Was a Strategic Tank" so apparently you do think he tanked)

i can think of one or two and thats the point of this discussion.

for instance, Fed knows he is not playing his very best tennis right now so why get decimated by Djokovic back to back. it would not be good for his confidence and it may just further accelerate Djokovic`s climb to the top.

Fed knew that since Nadal lost, his lead over him was back up 900+ points so his #1 rank would be safe for now. as it is, the Swiss press has been beating up on him.

he can say--as he has been saying--that he is still #1. he could regroup in time and find his game again and do well on clay and at Wimbledon. the man is not finished yet but probably did not want to hand Djokovic another easy victory. that would have signaled in many people`s mind--as well as his mind--that he is no longer the top dog.

no he can just say that Fish played superb. Fish was top 20 a while back and he did gun down Davydenko and Hewitt here.

he increased his lead. he will gain points again in Miami and he will take his chances at Wimby and at the U.S. Open.

it may have been a very smart move.

madmanfool
03-23-2008, 09:42 PM
where can i thank this thread?

Clay Death
03-23-2008, 09:48 PM
where can i thank this thread?

you see what Djokovic is doing to Fish right now. this what Fed may have wanted to avoid. 2nd straight devastation at the hands of Djokovic would not have been good.

as it is, lot of people are saying that Djokovic is the best player in the world already. Well Fed can say just check the rankings.

watch and learn.

betowiec
03-23-2008, 09:50 PM
fed taking lessons from davy
looooooooooooooooool

anon57
03-23-2008, 09:52 PM
you see what Djokovic is doing to Fish right now. this what Fed may have wanted to avoid. 2nd straight devastation at the hands of Djokovic would not have been good.

as it is, lot of people are saying that Djokovic is the best player in the world already. Well Fed can say just check the rankings.

watch and learn.

So Fed didn't want to lose to Djokovic so instead he loses 6-3 6-2 to Fish, right that makes sense.

Clay Death
03-23-2008, 09:57 PM
So Fed didn't want to lose to Djokovic so instead he loses 6-3 6-2 to Fish, right that makes sense.

you have to follow the dynamics. Djokovic is the clear next #1. Fed cannot beat him right now as his game and his health has taken a hit.

he does not want to kepp getting killed by Djokovic. this buys him time to regroup and get his act together.

he walked away having his lead over Nadal jump right back to 900+ points so his #1 rank is safe for now. he lost early in Miami as well so he will be gathering some points there as well but he will avoid playing Djokovic until he is ready. for instance, Fed should be in his element on grass at Wimby.

Corey Feldman
03-23-2008, 10:02 PM
It was a great champion who's heart is not in it anymore, certainly not like the old days

winning or losing matches thesedays, he looks like their is another 100 things he'd rather be doing

like talking about his own greatness and comparing himself with other legends.

it'll smack him hard somewhere down the line.

cobalt60
03-23-2008, 10:06 PM
CD- Do you have any idea what it is like for a professional athlete to have Mono?
I am in awe of Federer doing as well as he has at the tournies he has played.
Next.....

Clay Death
03-23-2008, 10:07 PM
It was a great champion who's heart is not in it anymore, certainly not like the old days

winning or losing matches thesedays, he looks like their is another 100 things he'd rather be doing

like talking about his own greatness and comparing himself with other legends.

it'll smack him hard somewhere down the line.

too funny. i would think that Djokovic is smacking both Nadal and Fed pretty damn hard these days. that ought to wake them up.

finishingmove
03-23-2008, 10:07 PM
i think the djokovic - fish match will reveal the truth

Roland9
03-23-2008, 10:08 PM
Oh, come on... *sigh*

groundstroke
03-23-2008, 10:30 PM
fed was outclassed, simple as.

juninhOH
03-23-2008, 10:36 PM
stop with fanatism plz. players LOSE.

vincayou
03-23-2008, 10:47 PM
i can think of one or two and thats the point of this discussion.

for instance, Fed knows he is not playing his very best tennis right now so why get decimated by Djokovic back to back. it would not be good for his confidence and it may just further accelerate Djokovic`s climb to the top.

So Federer losing points in the race will not accelerate Djokovic's climb to the top. Ok I get it :silly:

Black Adam
03-23-2008, 10:49 PM
In a way yes as he was afraid of the upcoming beatdown Djoko would be giving him today. He chickened out as he doesn't want to lose his pride by getting spanked by Djoko again.

Strategic but also Prideful tank imo

Clay Death
03-23-2008, 10:55 PM
So Federer losing points in the race will not accelerate Djokovic's climb to the top. Ok I get it :silly:

you are still not getting it. Fed`s lead over his next closest rival is back to over 900 points.

so his #1 rank is secure for now and he doesnt get decimated by Djokovic again. especially since he is not ready.

CrossCourt13
03-23-2008, 11:53 PM
Well, yeah maybe he did.
But by doing that he admitted to him self that Nole is better than him

And I don't buy the mono stuff.
People who have mono are off the court for months, even years and he played with it in the AO and not telling anything to anyone about it. Aha sure :rolleyes:

dylan24
03-23-2008, 11:57 PM
fed is finished
he'll never win a title again.
he'll retire in shame after 2008
and just play vs pete 4x a year until suckers stop buying tickets.
then he'll go play in world team tennis w/ kournikova

Manon
03-23-2008, 11:58 PM
Good God woman (CD), I'll give you all my posts for birthday (numbers of posts). Please, somebody join me, girl write and write and write and write...

Only I can see is 'I have to more posts then everybody together'.

I am serious.

Live a life, I am always scared of how many new posts you could write per second. 60% useless.

Clay Death
03-24-2008, 12:08 AM
Good God woman (CD), I'll give you all my posts for birthday (numbers of posts). Please, somebody join me, girl write and write and write and write...

Only I can see is 'I have to more posts then everybody together'.

I am serious.

Live a life, I am always scared of how many new posts you could write per second. 60% useless.

moron. i am not a woman. either add to the discussion or shut the hell up.

Manon
03-24-2008, 12:18 AM
moron. i am not a woman. either add to the discussion or shut the hell up.

Man or woman you are boring to death. Thread after thread for dis(g)uss? You do that? C'mon....As I said - live a life, not only MTF life.

Sean
03-24-2008, 12:42 AM
fed is finished
he'll never win a title again.
he'll retire in shame after 2008
and just play vs pete 4x a year until suckers stop buying tickets.
then he'll go play in world team tennis w/ kournikova

:haha:

RogiRafaFan86
03-24-2008, 12:48 AM
Of course it was a strategic tank! Ya know...because beating Fish in the Semis and going on to win (or lose) in the final and putting even more distance between himself and #2 just...doesn't make sense.

:silly::cuckoo::retard:

gnaz
03-24-2008, 12:52 AM
It Was Not A Strategic Tank. Federer is weak because of the mono.

MyPrecious
03-24-2008, 01:04 AM
He had baby making with Mirka on his mind.

That. Is. All.

cmurray
03-24-2008, 01:07 AM
O.M.G.

Listen. Aren't some of you with the "he's still so ILL :sad:" the same people who were just saying two days ago that "HE'S BACK, SO TAKE THAT RAFATARDS!"???

You cannot have it both ways. :shrug:

Sunset of Age
03-24-2008, 01:16 AM
O.M.G.

Listen. Aren't some of you with the "he's still so ILL :sad:" the same people who were just saying two days ago that "HE'S BACK, SO TAKE THAT RAFATARDS!"???

You cannot have it both ways. :shrug:

I didn't see any "he's still so ILL :sad:"-posts in this thread. :shrug:
And why that 'Rafatards'-comment? :confused:

Clay Death
03-24-2008, 02:18 AM
I didn't see any "he's still so ILL :sad:"-posts in this thread. :shrug:
And why that 'Rafatards'-comment? :confused:

exactly.

by the way, the % of people who now think that it was a well engineered tank job is going up. its now 22%.

i think he is avoiding Djokovic. why not wait until he is 100% and meet Djokovic on his own terms. perhaps on clay or grass.

his #1 rank is safe for now. i would be willing to bet a very large sum of money that he does exactly the same thing again in Miami. you can make book on it.

i know its cheap but it makes sound strategic sense.

Clay Death
03-24-2008, 02:54 AM
this just in. this is a startling possibility: the draw comes ount tomorrow at 2:20 PM local time. Fed will see if Djokovic is in his 1/2 of the draw and if he is, look for Fed to withdraw from this tournament.

as a matter of fact, Fed, being as smart as he is, may withdraw ahead of the draw. his lead, which is almost 1200 points, over Djokovic is safe for now.

why not go and get some rest and then start getting ready for Monte Carlo. Fed is still the 2nd best player on clay. he can deal with Djokovic on clay and grass but not on hard courts. not right now anyway. all the buzz around the world is already about Djokovic racing headlong to be the next #1 so why lose at his hands or worse get trounced by him.

Fed will seek revenge on clay and on grass if he can so he can reverse the slide and huge psychological damage. it also buys him time to get well and more fit.

you heard it here first. i believe he will withdraw.

CassL
03-24-2008, 03:05 AM
Yes, I believe it was a strategic tank to avoid Djokovic. Mono my ass. Since mono has after-effects of a couple years, Fed and his fans have their excuse ready.

Clay Death
03-24-2008, 03:12 AM
Yes, I believe it was a strategic tank to avoid Djokovic. Mono my ass. Since mono has after-effects of a couple years, Fed and his fans have their excuse ready.

if you take a look at the poll, its up 24% now. 24% of the people believe that engaged in a strategic tank.

i saw the match for the 3rd time. my conclusion: it was a tank.

now here is the catch. he is not well and his movement is not there. he had no chance against Djokovic. so its a smart strategic tank.

i am not knocking the guy since i would have done the same thing if i was in his shoes. people have to understand the stakes here. Fed is not ready to give being the best in the world. remember that he is actually trying to build the case for the best ever.

so how can he let players of his own era own him. its not happening. the guy is as sharp as they come.

finishingmove
03-24-2008, 03:19 AM
suffice to say that i agree on 90% of things the OP has brought to our attention.

Clay Death
03-24-2008, 03:25 AM
suffice to say that i agree on 90% of things the OP has brought to our attention.

who is OP?

dejosav
03-24-2008, 04:04 AM
who is OP?

OP is overrated, don't trust him

Corey Feldman
03-24-2008, 05:01 AM
It was a strategic bullshit performance.

:o

Clay Death
03-24-2008, 05:31 AM
It was a strategic bullshit performance.

:o

so he is also suffering from strategic bullshititis now? damn. one strategic ailment after another.

thesonofgray
03-24-2008, 05:39 AM
who is OP?

OP = original poster / original post

I just think Federer is waning. I see nothing contrary to that observation.

Clay Death
03-24-2008, 06:58 AM
OP = original poster / original post

I just think Federer is waning. I see nothing contrary to that observation.

he is not well but he will recover in time.