Novak will be to Roger as Seles was to Graf? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Novak will be to Roger as Seles was to Graf?

Billy Moonshine
03-23-2008, 08:00 PM
Just an idea that passed in my head. Roger, like Steffi did in 1990/91, is not playing his beat for whatever reason after several dominant years. Then a great talent comes along and rises quickly up the rankings, defeating them in big finals and Grand slams and scooping up the titles for themselves. If the similarities continue, expect this year and the next to see Novak rise to number one and Roger fall to number two and Novak to win at oz and Us while Fed wins Wimby and Nadal wins at the French.
Just an idea..nothing serious.

*Viva Chile*
03-23-2008, 08:04 PM
so you mean Nole will get american citizenship in the future??? :eek: :p

Aloimeh
03-23-2008, 08:04 PM
Just an idea that passed in my head. Roger, like Steffi did in 1990/91, is not playing his beat for whatever reason after several dominant years. Then a great talent comes along and rises quickly up the rankings, defeating them in big finals and Grand slams and scooping up the titles for themselves. If the similarities continue, expect this year and the next to see Novak rise to number one and Roger fall to number two and Novak to win at oz and Us while Fed wins Wimby and Nadal wins at the French.

I brought forth this idea weeks ago but it was laughed off. Notice how Federer is using Graf-ian tactics in response? Very defensive and ineffective.

Let's just pray we don't get another Gunther Parche, because I really think that Federer has more passionate fans than Graf ever did. All this GOAT stuff has gotten to both his head and the heads of his diehard fans.

Billy Moonshine
03-23-2008, 08:14 PM
Yeah it is something I just thought of. I am a big fan of Graf and there is something about the way Roger is playing and the buzz around his recent losses that reminds me of Steffi back then. Steffi lost confidence and was usurped by Monica suddenly and no one really expected Seles to be so successful so young which is why her rise was so exciting and much needed for the Tour. If Novak keeps up his hard work and mentality, he may surprise a lot of people, too.

Mansave_75
03-23-2008, 08:38 PM
Last year I opened a threat very similar as this one you propose but for me the Seles character was played by Nadal, a left hander like Seles (by the way he has beaten Roger in the French '05 Semis and '06 and '07 finals as Seles did with Graf in '90 and '92 finals)so...let's wait if Novak is able to reach the number one spot in the rankings he has to defend lots of points too (Miami, Estoril, Canadian Open...)

Aloimeh
03-23-2008, 08:42 PM
Last year I opened a threat very similar as this one you propose but for me the Seles character was played by Nadal, a left hander like Seles (by the way he has beaten Roger in the French '05 Semis and '06 and '07 finals as Seles did with Graf in '90 and '92 finals)so...let's wait if Novak is able to reach the number one spot in the rankings he has to defend lots of points too (Miami, Estoril, Canadian Open...)

He's not playing Estoril. That tells you something about his ambitions re: Monte Carlo and Rome. ;)

Billy Moonshine
03-23-2008, 08:49 PM

I hear you about the Nadal idea. It especially fits in with Seles' wins over Graf at the French. Novak remembles Seles a little more regarding his HC ability. I think Novak is more likely to win at the French than Nadal is at either the US or Oz Opens.
Earlier I was thinking of casting Nadal as Sanchez Vicario in a remake of the WTA tour 90/92. Nalbandian would be Sabatini.

Young 8
03-23-2008, 08:51 PM

Gunter Parche part II ??

Clay Death
03-23-2008, 08:52 PM
He's not playing Estoril. That tells you something about his ambitions re: Monte Carlo and Rome. ;)

i think he will be tough on clay but may not be tough enough to gun down Nadal.

i now believe that these losses the Nadal has been having will force him to produce twice the resolve to protect his turf. he may be vulnerable in Monte Carlo since it will be his first clay event and he has been in a slump but it will not be long before he turns into an absolute clay monster again.

translation: Rome and Roland Garros are off limits. you can stop dreaming. Djokovic is good but he is no match for Nadal on clay. never has been.

camnation
03-23-2008, 08:55 PM
This Seles comparison scares me. I don't want to see Novak have a certain part of Seles's career... the sheer thought of it...:scared:

vincayou
03-23-2008, 08:56 PM
And Nadal is Arantxa Sanchez.

Mansave_75
03-23-2008, 08:56 PM
I hear you about the Nadal idea. It especially fits in with Seles' wins over Graf at the French. Novak remembles Seles a little more regarding his HC ability. I think Novak is more likely to win at the French than Nadal is at either the US or Oz Opens.
Earlier I was thinking of casting Nadal as Sanchez Vicario in a remake of the WTA tour 90/92. Nalbandian would be Sabatini.

!!!Great Characters!!!
Federer_______Graf
Nadal_________Sanchez Vicario
Djokovic______Seles
Nalbandian____Sabatini

That was for me the BEST WTA TOUR age, from 89/90 until 96/97

Billy Moonshine
03-23-2008, 09:02 PM
This Seles comparison scares me. I don't want to see Novak have a certain part of Seles's career... the sheer thought of it...:scared:

I don't want to see that either. It still makes me sad to think what happened to Seles. I am only alluding to how Novak is rising so quickly and confidently up the rankings and winning big titles to how Seles did the same in 1990. I don't think anyone was predicting Novak to have so much success so soon a year ago. Were they?

stebs
03-23-2008, 09:03 PM
I think this analogy, just like the one with Mozart, Beethoven and Saulieri, is useless. It's not that there aren't certain elements of similarities there, it's just that there are no end of situations with some similarities. Truth is in tennis each of this type of situation is unique and it will not follow previous patterns exactly even if comparisons exist.

Billy Moonshine
03-23-2008, 09:10 PM
!!!Great Characters!!!
Federer_______Graf
Djokovic______Seles
Nalbandian____Sabatini

I know this is off topic but I love the 89-92 years the most. Sabatini, Sanchez, Seles and Graf are to me Nalby, Nadal, Novak and Fed, whom I prefer in that order while, regarding the women, I prefer them in the order of Graf, Seles, Sanchez and Sabatini.

Billy Moonshine
03-23-2008, 09:12 PM
I think this analogy, just like the one with Mozart, Beethoven and Saulieri, is useless. It's not that there aren't certain elements of similarities there, it's just that there are no end of situations with some similarities. Truth is in tennis each of this type of situation is unique and it will not follow previous patterns exactly even if comparisons exist.

True, it's useless. And what you say is true. It is just something to chat about on a tennis forum with anyone who is interested.

Lleyton_
03-23-2008, 09:20 PM
:retard:

Spes
03-23-2008, 09:42 PM
I hope Novak doesn't endure what Monica did. :sad:

platinum
03-23-2008, 09:49 PM

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?p=6769102#post6769102

I already sort of said this on another thread.

Federer = Graf

Nole = Seles

Nadal = Sanchez-Vicario

platinum
03-23-2008, 10:01 PM
Nalbandian would be Sabatini.

Whoah, that's a good one.

matanuriel
03-23-2008, 10:19 PM
!!!Great Characters!!!
Federer_______Graf
Djokovic______Seles
Nalbandian____Sabatini

What about Martinez :confused:

Adler
03-23-2008, 10:19 PM
Nalbandian____Sabatini
Nalbandian is nowhere as sexy as Sabatini. I mean, women may have different opinion

Mansave_75
03-23-2008, 11:45 PM
Martinez would be....probably Moya (great tennis player with only GS title)

matanuriel
03-24-2008, 06:01 AM
Martinez would be....probably Moya (great tennis player with only GS title)

I thought more about Roddick, 1 slam and a top 10 player. though the game of both doesn't suit well.

BlueSwan
03-24-2008, 07:08 AM
!!!Great Characters!!!
Federer_______Graf
Djokovic______Seles
Nalbandian____Sabatini

Infact, even their respective home countries more or less match up.

Aerien
03-24-2008, 07:40 AM
so you mean Nole will get american citizenship in the future??? :eek: :p

And win the AO three times back to back with three different hair colors? :o

For me though, I don't think Novak has developed yet the serious personality that Seles had to win week in and week out. Tennis writers/commentators used to recount how off-putting Monica was in her younger days because she was very aloof and serious during tournaments.

But hey, Novak is winning now so maybe nothing needs to change just yet.

buzz
03-24-2008, 08:06 AM
Game-wise Conchita 'moonball' Martinez is more like Rafeal 'moonball' Nadal Not like Carlos or Andy

Sean.J.S.
03-24-2008, 08:28 AM
Gunter Parche part II ??

I've heard he's a massive Nole fan! :eek:

Watch out, Roger! :scared: :devil: