Miami Nice, No? A good week's work - even if he RUINED it at the end :mad: [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Miami Nice, No? A good week's work - even if he RUINED it at the end :mad:

Pages : [1] 2

l_mac
03-23-2008, 02:14 AM
dedicated to Steve Ulrich, asshole :rocker2:

Last chance to win a title before clay :help: :woohoo:

Vamos!

RogiRafaFan86
03-23-2008, 02:26 AM
Well he only has 125 points to defend here - that's a positive, right? He can gain some!

God, now watch him bomb out in the 2nd round...

Tnn74
03-23-2008, 02:29 AM
Ulrich is an absolute Fedtard :rolleyes:
he jumps off his chair every time Federer even
glances at him with the side of his eyes to check
out a mark... it's no wonder he was such an asshole :ras:

VAMOS RAF! take Miami and then Bon Apetit! :rocker2:

Metis
03-23-2008, 02:32 AM
I'll be happy with another SF :)

I can't imagine both Nadal AND Federer starting the clay season with 0 titles... :help: One of them HAS to win Miami. Let it be Rafa! :banana:

Getta
03-23-2008, 02:50 AM
I can't imagine both Nadal AND Federer starting the clay season with 0 titles... :help: One of them HAS to win Miami. Let it be Rafa! :banana:

Same here.

It would be nice to see Rafa heading to the clay season with three semis on hard courts under his belt (AO, IW, Miami). Well anything beyond a SF in Miami would be much appreciated too. :angel: Though I can't see this happening.

Getta
03-23-2008, 03:21 AM
I can't imagine both Nadal AND Federer starting the clay season with 0 titles... :help:

I think that Roger's situation is even worse. It might be possible to start the grass season (Halle, Wimbledon) without a title. :tape:

hra87
03-23-2008, 04:07 AM
I hate tennis.

Castafiore
03-23-2008, 10:04 AM
dedicated to Steve Ulrich, asshole :rocker2:
:rocker2: :rocker2:

Well, he's had two very good wins and one disappointing loss.
On to Miami! :)

yana
03-23-2008, 10:29 AM

:worship:

Miami is the real deal. After all, he already won IW, twice is boring...

Sean.J.S.
03-23-2008, 11:34 AM
Go Rafa. :D

The Pro
03-23-2008, 11:36 AM
It's amazing, despite the fact that Nadal has yet to win a title this year, he could still push for number 1 this year since Federer is in such an almighty slump. Now would be the time to get things moving. :D

The alternative is The Djoker moving up on number 2. WHICH IS UNTHINKABLE. :(

Xristos
03-23-2008, 11:45 AM
Hopefully his new outfit brings him new luck.

VAMOOOS!

tennizen
03-23-2008, 01:10 PM
:woohoo: Miami it is. I was terribly depressed by the results yesterday more so with Fed almighty out of sorts who's going to sort the Djoker out:lol:.But great to move to a new tournament:lol:

raven gypsy
03-23-2008, 01:59 PM
From Lillian on vb.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.sonyericssonopen.com

Main Draw will be made Monday, March 24, 2:20 PM, location - TBA

http://www.atptennis.com/1/posting/2008/403/mds.pdf
http://www.sonyericssonopen.com/draws/2008/msdraw.pdf
collapsible draw -- http://www.sonyericssonopen.com/draws/2008/msr1s1.html

mallorn
03-23-2008, 02:08 PM
Best of luck, Rafa (starting with the draw). :bounce:

tennizen
03-23-2008, 02:15 PM
We should have the predictions this time around too. Mine is a semifinal.

Tess Gray
03-23-2008, 03:13 PM
We should have the predictions this time around too. Mine is a semifinal.

same here:)

Aenea
03-23-2008, 05:01 PM
A new tourney :woohoo: Vamos!

As for the prediction game, put me down for the Finals. After seeing the draw I may change to Champion though :)

hra87
03-23-2008, 05:47 PM
I predict a W.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I really hope Mardy Fish wins the title. EEEEEEEEEHHHH, I feel dirty.

GuiroNl
03-23-2008, 07:53 PM
Finals

Naina
03-23-2008, 08:02 PM
I predict a Win. Provided that Ulrich doesnt get to umpire any of Rafa's matches. Before yesterday I actually thought he was decent umpire. I wonder what he would have done if Djoko wanted treatment for breathing problems?

raven gypsy
03-23-2008, 08:06 PM
Defending Wimbledon Champion, Venus Williams and World No. 1 Roger Federer will make their 2008 Sony Ericsson Open debuts under the lights on Friday, March 28 and Saturday, March 29, respectively
From the official site.

If Rog starts Sat, I think :confused: that means that Raf will start on Fri.

Metis
03-23-2008, 08:27 PM
Back by popular demand :lol:....... The Prediction Table:

(I hope Linda doesn't mind me taking the initiative)

In which round is Rafa going to lose?

1st -
2nd -
3rd -
4th -
QF -
SF - tennizen, Tess Gray,
F - tennischeto, GuiroNl,
W - hra87, Naina, Metis

I was a bit conservative in my prediction for IW. This time I pick a win :rocker2:

:lol:

yana
03-23-2008, 08:37 PM
QF, at least The Beauty defend his points...

FedFan_2007
03-23-2008, 08:37 PM
Hi Rafa-fans. I'm crying in my water right now. Is this the apocalypse for Fedal? 0 titles through March? I can't believe this. Just goes to show that current form means everything and reputation means squat.

Johnny Groove
03-24-2008, 12:07 AM
nadal will lose in the qualies

he suckxorzzzzzzzz

zadle69
03-24-2008, 12:15 AM
possibly 4th round or quarter round lose

FedFan_2007
03-24-2008, 12:51 AM
Blaze - who's saying that? I think Nadal makes the quarters and defends his points.

l_mac
03-24-2008, 01:19 AM
Back by popular demand :lol:....... The Prediction Table:

(I hope Linda doesn't mind me taking the initiative)

I was a bit conservative in my prediction for IW. This time I pick a win :rocker2:

I absolutely do not mind you taking the initiative. I was thinking the overall winner at the end of the year could be sent the Metis Invitational Trophy :lol:

Now that this is a serious competition with a prize I won't give my prediction till the draw :rocker2:

FedFan_2007
03-24-2008, 01:22 AM
Actually I'm glad Djoko won because it would be worse for tennis to have that fat slob Fish win it. At least Djoko looks like a real athlete.

l_mac
03-24-2008, 01:57 AM
I'm wondering why you think anyone here cares what you think about Nole winning IW?????

1) This is the RAFA forum
2) This is the Miami thread
3) You're a moronic Fedtard troll :confused:

Xristos
03-24-2008, 02:26 AM
4th round for Nadal me thinks.

Sunset of Age
03-24-2008, 02:27 AM
QF or even SF would be very nice - all depending on the draw of course.

Luvyoyoma1954@co
03-24-2008, 02:48 AM
PREDICTION--WINNER :wavey::wavey::wavey::wavey:

FedFan_2007
03-24-2008, 03:20 AM
l_mac - you'd think that with the Nole threatening the Fedal duopoly you'd be a little less antagonistic towards Federer? After all, Fed has 0 titles through March. I don't get your anger.

Foxy
03-24-2008, 08:15 AM
Not bad result in IW for Rafa. Moving onto Miami. I dare think the SF should be the minimum goal he should set.
Anyway my prediction is a WINNER. :)

l_mac
03-24-2008, 09:30 AM
l_mac - you'd think that with the Nole threatening the Fedal duopoly you'd be a little less antagonistic towards Federer? After all, Fed has 0 titles through March. I don't get your anger.

:retard:

Metis
03-24-2008, 03:03 PM
I absolutely do not mind you taking the initiative. I was thinking the overall winner at the end of the year could be sent the Metis Invitational Trophy :lol:

Now that this is a serious competition with a prize (my BF gets tons of that crap free to "motivate" employees :lol:) I won't give my prediction till the draw :rocker2:

:haha: Well I'm sure that will motivate people to participate :lol:. OK then, here we go:

Rules of the Competition:

- In each tournament Rafa plays, people predict in which round he will lose.
- The posters that picked the correct round will receive points equal to the race points awarded by ATP to the winner of the tournament.
- No predictions will be accepted after the beginning of Rafa's first match. You can change your prediction until that time.
- At the end of the season the poster(s) with the highest score will win the ...Metis Invitational Trophy :spit:. I'll have to think about the design of the trophy but there is plenty of time for that.

Restrictions: Rafa and his immediate family and friends are not allowed to participate in this contest! :p

So far after the first tournament (IW) the scores are as follows:

cmurray _________ 100
raven_gypsy______ 100
MariaV___________100
Tnn74 ___________100

Metis
03-24-2008, 03:11 PM
Update:

1st -
2nd -
3rd -
4th - Xristos
QF - Yana
SF - tennizen, Tess Gray,
F - tennischeto, GuiroNl,
W - hra87, Naina, Metis, Luvyoyoma1954, Foxy

nadal will lose in the qualies

he suckxorzzzzzzzz

realistic predictions please! :p

possibly 4th round or quarter round lose

make up your mind! :p

I'm wondering why you think anyone here cares what you think about Nole winning IW?????

1) This is the RAFA forum
2) This is the Miami thread
3) You're a moronic Fedtard troll :confused:

Next thing we know FedFan will be starting threads in this forum :lol:

tennizen
03-24-2008, 03:30 PM
^^ Metis, thanks for taking the trouble but it would be fun to give points atleast one level down as well. So if he reaches semifinals and someone predicts quarters, they get half the points. That way we can see the cumulative performance.

acionescu
03-24-2008, 05:09 PM
Fortunately is not like I have to decide what to wear! :shrug: SF for me , please!

l_mac
03-24-2008, 05:15 PM
^^ Metis, thanks for taking the trouble but it would be fun to give points atleast one level down as well. So if he reaches semifinals and someone predicts quarters, they get half the points. That way we can see the cumulative performance.

That makes it too complicated.

I think there should only be points for correct predictions.

cmurray
03-24-2008, 06:12 PM
WOOHOO! I'm in a four way tie for the lead. :bounce:

Put me down for the win, Metis. :D I'm feeling optimistic after IW.

Agassi Fan
03-24-2008, 06:56 PM
Good luck in Miami!!!

Getta
03-24-2008, 07:16 PM
Semifinal. :)

Rules of the Competition:

- The posters that picked the correct round will receive points equal to the race points awarded by ATP to the winner of the tournament.
- No predictions will be accepted after the beginning of Rafa's first match. You can change your prediction until that time.
- At the end of the season the poster(s) with the highest score will win the ...Metis Invitational Trophy :spit:. I'll have to think about the design of the trophy but there is plenty of time for that.

Restrictions: Rafa and his immediate family and friends are not allowed to participate in this contest! :p

:haha: at the restrictions.

wildegirl05
03-24-2008, 07:35 PM
this sounds like fun :dance:

semis

mallorn
03-24-2008, 07:40 PM
http://www.atptennis.com/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=http://www.atptennis.com/1/posting/2008/403/mds.pdf

I need more time to think before I play.

Aenea
03-24-2008, 07:51 PM
The draw is tough again. Blake, Nalby, Djoko - all in Rafa's half :sad: There is no justice. No real challengers for Djoko until the SF. I may change to QF. :sad:

Naide
03-24-2008, 07:52 PM
Semis.
Then back to Mallorca, better, no?

tennizen
03-24-2008, 07:53 PM
I want to change my pick to Winner:)

Johnny Groove
03-24-2008, 08:07 PM
he will lose in QF to fat dave

Metis
03-24-2008, 08:10 PM

That makes it too complicated.

I think there should only be points for correct predictions.

I agree with Linda. Let's keep it simple. Besides, what you propose will not apply if Rafa ever loses in his first match (God forbid!); and what about those who predicted one round further? :shrug:

I want to change my pick to Winner:)

courageous but not sure if it's wise...

tennizen
03-24-2008, 08:14 PM
I agree with Linda. Let's keep it simple. Besides, what you propose will not apply if Rafa ever loses in his first match (God forbid!); and what about those who predicted one round further? :shrug:

Ok fine with me:)

courageous but not sure if it's wise...

I am banking on Nole not making the semi here. Well someday the fortunes have to reverse. If not, well I will be just left with a wrong pick:lol:

Foxy
03-24-2008, 08:17 PM
I don't see any real threat until QF against Blake or Nalby. And they are actually quite beatable as we saw.
A semi against Nole again - I shall say new tournament new winner! No? :D

Metis
03-24-2008, 08:20 PM
I am banking on Nole not making the semi here. Well someday the fortunes have to reverse. If not, well I will be just left with a wrong pick:lol:

You're right; I'm sticking with my prediction too. Vamos! :rocker2:

:unsure:

hra87
03-24-2008, 09:15 PM
Same old Rafa hardcourt draw. Meets tough opponent in quarters, either loses or barely survives to be put out of his misery in the semis.

raven gypsy
03-24-2008, 09:19 PM
Restrictions: Rafa and his immediate family and friends are not allowed to participate in this contest!

:rolls:

I pick QF.

I can't wait to see what the trophy looks like :D

Luvyoyoma1954@co
03-24-2008, 10:59 PM
I did not know where to put this thought, so I chose because of how viewed it has been.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do not know if this had been seen by anyone before this, but I was watching the Lakers vs Golden State game on Monday from Sunday and beyond my belief, during the game they introduced Novack and interviewed him and congratulated him several times. He was there because a good friend from his home country plays for the Lakers.

As a Lover of Rafa and not a fan of Novack I could not believe I could not watch a NBA game in peace and relaxation.

If anyone else saw this I would love to hear the reactions. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

charliebrown
03-24-2008, 11:45 PM
I am new to this, Hi all!
I pick Winner.
Hope there are no negative points :(

Clay Death
03-25-2008, 05:45 AM

Fed will be in Estoril for the clay event which starts on april 14. none of the top guns are playing there. Djokovic was the defending champ there not he is not playing it.

i think Fed may just pull up in Monte Carlo with title in hand.

MariaV
03-25-2008, 07:57 AM
I shall say new tournament new winner! No? :D

Yes yes yes, I totally agree with that. :banana: :D

About my predictions - hmmm, I want the W now! :p VAMOS! :bounce: :bigclap:

Aenea
03-25-2008, 01:29 PM
So many ppl are going for W this time?! :eek: OK then they can't all be wrong, I'll join
Besides

The MTF Nadal Fan Collective: "Assimilate, resistance is futile." :)

So, Metis, put me down for Winner. If my pick is wrong at least I won't be the only one with 0 "race" pts :D

Vamos

tangerine_dream
03-25-2008, 04:26 PM
Metis, put me down for finals. Rafa had a great run at IW and I'll expect the same here. :bounce:

l_mac
03-25-2008, 04:29 PM
You all must be smoking crack.

4th round.

Johnny Groove
03-25-2008, 05:52 PM

4th round.

or poppin' roxxies

Johnny Groove
03-25-2008, 05:53 PM
Fed will be in Estoril for the clay event which starts on april 14. none of the top guns are playing there. Djokovic was the defending champ there not he is not playing it.

i think Fed may just pull up in Monte Carlo with title in hand.

And how is that info relevent to this thread?

Naina
03-25-2008, 06:04 PM
Still going to stick with my prediction. He will do well.
Vamos Rafi.

Naide
03-25-2008, 06:34 PM

4th round.

They are.

tangerine_dream
03-25-2008, 06:41 PM
You guys are too fatalistic. :hug: Rafa's not doing too badly on the hardcourts and he's had some great wins over tough opponents. I'm sure that once the clay season is underway he will become more comfortable, gain more confidence, and before you know it he will morph back into his normal Clay God self. :)

Metis
03-25-2008, 06:42 PM
Update:

1st – (Bye)
2nd -
3rd -
4th – Xristos, l_mac
QF - Yana, raven_gypsy, Blaze-2004, Kitty de Sade
SF - Tess Gray, acionescu, Getta, wildegirl05, Naide
F – GuiroNl, tangerine_dream
W - hra87, Naina, Metis, Luvyoyoma1954, Foxy, cmurray, tennizen, MariaV, charliebrown, tennischeto

So much optimism! Vamos! :banana:

4th round.

that's what a win over Blake does; everyone is still on a high :lol:

:haha: at the restrictions.

:rolls:

I can't wait to see what the trophy looks like :D

The restrictions are necessary! I can't have any fixing scandals or people with insider information ruining this competition :armed:

Johnny Groove
03-25-2008, 06:46 PM
Metis, you missed by QF predict :(

that's what a win over Blake does; everyone is still on a high :lol:

well, for me, i dont think it was the Blake win thats got me on a high :o

Metis
03-25-2008, 06:51 PM
Metis, you missed by QF predict :(

oops sorry; post edited :)

well, for me, i dont think it was the Blake win thats got me on a high :o

:lol:.... naughty boy :smash:

Metis
03-25-2008, 06:58 PM
I am new to this, Hi all!
I pick Winner.
Hope there are no negative points :(

Welcome charliebrown :wavey:

no negative points :)

l_mac
03-25-2008, 09:08 PM
Welcome charliebrown :wavey:

no negative points :)

Metis, can I still change my mind before he plays? If Haas looks like he's playing well, or he draws Haase as the Q in his section I may change to 2R or 3R.

Metis
03-25-2008, 09:57 PM
Metis, can I still change my mind before he plays? If Haas looks like he's playing well, or he draws Haase as the Q in his section I may change to 2R or 3R.

:spit: at least you would be the only winner :lol:

You can change your prediction until Rafa's 1st match. Roitman/Becker are his potential 2nd round opponents and they are playing tomorrow as are Kiefer/Haas...

So, I guess 2nd round starts on Friday with no TV coverage? :(

Kitty de Sade
03-26-2008, 01:11 AM
No TV coverage again? Awesome. :D :ras:

I pick QF for Rafa, although I hope he does better than that. :hatoff:

Metis
03-26-2008, 01:19 AM
No TV coverage again? Awesome. :D :ras:

OK, I'll add your prediction :yeah: :D

Castafiore
03-26-2008, 09:09 AM
Regarding Rafa, Nadal will be blogging exclusively for TENNIS.com while he’s playing the Ericsson Open in Miami. Check our homepage daily for updates starting on Thursday.

MariaV
03-26-2008, 09:13 AM
So, I guess 2nd round starts on Friday with no TV coverage? :(

Yep you're right about that. Coverage starts Saturday again.

Xoman
03-26-2008, 10:25 AM
Hi everybody. :wavey:

I have just joined MTF after some time reading Nadal's forums here.

Metis, please, put me down for Nadal making it to the final this time. I hope he manages beating Djoker, otherwise Nadal risks arriving to Wimbledon as #3.

Sean.J.S.
03-26-2008, 10:27 AM
Vamos Rafa. :rocker:

nashty
03-26-2008, 05:02 PM
Hi y'all!:wavey::wavey::wavey:

I'm also new here though I've already followed threads regarding Rafa. I also want to join this fun stuff. My pick: Rafa in Finals!:D

though a W would be sweeter.:))

l_mac
03-26-2008, 05:12 PM
After the news JMPower posted about rafa's probable retirement at the end of the year, and his mental devastation, I predict withdrawl :sad:

tangerine_dream
03-26-2008, 06:29 PM
Kitty :eek: You've finally come out of the Nadal closet :D :hug: :hug:

btw, I predict FSN's coverage will suck monkey balls. :ras:

l_mac
03-26-2008, 06:31 PM
Adam says Haas has withdrawn.

He's been replaced by Garcia-Lopez.

Aenea
03-26-2008, 07:34 PM
Hi to all new members, welcome. :wavey:

It's true, Haas has pulled out. GGL is the LL. And B Becker is Rafa's first opponent.

Come on, Rafa, all the way to the title. :bigclap:

neenah
03-26-2008, 08:44 PM
Good luck to Rafa in Miami! :dance:

Metis
03-26-2008, 08:55 PM

Rafa seems to like blogging, no? :D

Hi everybody. :wavey:

I have just joined MTF after some time reading Nadal's forums here.

Metis, please, put me down for Nadal making it to the final this time. I hope he manages beating Djoker, otherwise Nadal risks arriving to Wimbledon as #3.

Hi y'all!:wavey::wavey::wavey:

I'm also new here though I've already followed threads regarding Rafa. I also want to join this fun stuff. My pick: Rafa in Finals!:D

though a W would be sweeter.:))

Xoman and nashty, welcome! I'll put your predictions down.

After the news JMPower posted about rafa's probable retirement at the end of the year, and his mental devastation, I predict withdrawl :sad:

:sobbing:

You hear people? This might be the only season to hold the M.I.T. competition and your only chance to win the beautiful trophy (design TBD). Once in a lifetime opportunity! :haha:

Metis
03-26-2008, 08:56 PM
Update:

1st – (Bye)
2nd -
3rd -
4th – Xristos, l_mac
QF - Yana, raven_gypsy, Blaze-2004, Kitty de Sade, The Pro
F – GuiroNl, tangerine_dream, Xoman, nashty
W - hra87, Naina, Metis, Luvyoyoma1954, Foxy, cmurray, tennizen, MariaV, charliebrown, tennischeto

yana
03-26-2008, 09:23 PM
Update:

WE're more optimistic in Miami, as I see. I wonder why... :p

Metis
03-26-2008, 09:37 PM
what is your prediction Oana? :p

Kitty de Sade
03-26-2008, 10:00 PM
Kitty :eek: You've finally come out of the Nadal closet :D :hug: :hug:

What can I say in my defense, Tangy? The collective strength of the lovely girls here was too much for me. :sobbing: :p

btw, I predict FSN's coverage will suck monkey balls. :ras:

Yeah, put a lock on that one for sure. Shades of awesome. :rolleyes:

The Pro
03-26-2008, 11:39 PM
I predict QF's. He's not himself on hard court lately.

Clay Death
03-27-2008, 04:57 AM
I predict QF's. He's not himself on hard court lately.

i just hate to see him continue to lose this way. cant wait for Monte Carlo.

if nothing else, at least going to germany and kicking some ass in Davis Cup will get him going. that will be just before Monte Carlo.

Castafiore
03-27-2008, 07:31 AM
Reaching a SF is perhaps not what people hoped for but it's hardly a "losing way". :rolleyes:

Have you guys seen the doubles draw. Rafa is doubling up with Tommy Robredo and their first opponents are a piece of cake. Tommy and Rafa are mugs for sure if they can't beat them. The Bryan brothers. Easy! ;)

MariaV
03-27-2008, 10:07 AM
Reaching a SF is perhaps not what people hoped for but it's hardly a "losing way". :rolleyes:

Have you guys seen the doubles draw. Rafa is doubling up with Tommy Robredo and their first opponents are a piece of cake. Tommy and Rafa are mugs for sure if they can't beat them. The Bryan brothers. Easy! ;)

Oh dear, yeah, that's a great draw. :haha: But whatever, at least chicos will get some good practice .... hopefully. :tape: :scared: :unsure:

Xristos
03-27-2008, 06:00 PM
Have you guys seen this clip?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iGzofnhF6rE

Castafiore
03-27-2008, 06:04 PM
^ Yes, I have. Thanks for posting anyway.

Metis
03-27-2008, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the video clip Xristos. I hadn't seen it.

Well the Bryans haven't been playing that great lately, or rather their results haven't been that great. Still a difficult match though; I doubt Rafa and Tommy care enough to fight hard for it.

Getta
03-27-2008, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the video clip Xristos. I hadn't seen it.

Well the Bryans haven't been playing that great lately, or rather their results haven't been that great. Still a difficult match though; I doubt Rafa and Tommy care enough to fight hard for it.

The Bryans look vulnerable this year, though I'm not implying that Rafa and Tommy are going to beat them.
Stan and Marcos played them in the first round at Indian Wells. The Bryans defeated Stan/Marcos 4/6 6/3 11-9 in a very close match.

mallorn
03-27-2008, 10:46 PM
OOP for Friday is out.

Stadium 1

Not Before 12:30 PM
2. Women's Singles: 2nd Round
Edina Gallovits (ROU) vs. Serena Williams (USA) [8]
3. Men's Singles: 2nd Round
Kevin Anderson (RSA) Q vs. Novak Djokovic (SRB) [3]
4. Men's Singles: 2nd Round
Benjamin Becker (GER) Q vs. Rafael Nadal (ESP) [2]

Metis, shouldn't we rephrase the question to something less negative? :lol: "How far will Rafa go in the tournament?" means the same but at least sounds less depressing. :lol:

Having said that, I'm not feeling too optimistic for some reason, put me down for QFs. :p

Getta
03-27-2008, 10:46 PM
Friday OoP

STADIUM

Match start at 11:00 AM
Justine HENIN vs. Angelique KERBER

Not before 12:30 PM
Edina GALLOVITS vs. Serena WILLIAMS

followed by
Kevin ANDERSON vs. Novak DJOKOVIC

followed by
Benjamin BECKER vs. Rafael NADAL

Metis
03-28-2008, 12:42 AM
Metis, shouldn't we rephrase the question to something less negative? :lol: "How far will Rafa go in the tournament?" means the same but at least sounds less depressing. :lol:

Having said that, I'm not feeling too optimistic for some reason, put me down for QFs. :p

OK, I'll change the title. I had that for IW when everyone was feeling down after the Seppi and Roddick losses :lol:

Metis
03-28-2008, 12:45 AM
Update:

How far will Rafa go in the tournament?

1st – (Bye)
2nd -
3rd -
4th – Xristos, l_mac
QF - Yana, raven_gypsy, Blaze-2004, Kitty de Sade, The Pro, mallorn

OK people, the OOP is out. You have less than 24 hours :eek: to make your final prediction! :D

Jelena_78
03-28-2008, 11:00 AM
This is the same one, just a bit longer ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIpvwOww_5k

MariaV
03-28-2008, 12:12 PM
Not posted yet?

RAFAEL NADAL
THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. The top of the game looks as though it might be changing a little bit.
RAFAEL NADAL: What?

Q. The top the game looks as though it might be changing a little bit. Roger's lost three times. Novak is coming up. Andy Roddick played well and won in Dubai. Does this change your mentality or your mindset at all when these things are changing?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, did you see the race?

Q. Did I see the race?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah.

Q. Yes, of course.
RAFAEL NADAL: I think doesn't change too much, no? I think Djokovic is the No. 1 right now. Last year he was No. 3. And, well, we know he has a very big potential for being No. 1, No. 2, No. 3, any place, because he's very good player, no?
I am No. 2, so my position doesn't change. And Federer, he's 3, 4, 5, so he's not far away from the top. So I think doesn't change nothing, no? Roddick is still there, too, so for me not much changes.

Q. Are you happy that the clay court season is kicking off?
RAFAEL NADAL: Kicking off? Well, I am No. 2 in the race right now, and without playing any tournament on clay. So I am playing very good on hard court, too, so happy for that. For sure when I have the clay season for me it's little bit better, the clay.
But, anyway, the true is the clay season is very tough this year, no? We have four tournaments in a row straight, and that's impossible for us, no? So, it's going to be very, very difficult and very tough.

Q. What in Djokovic's game right now is so strong, that's making him so difficult to play?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, he's playing with confidence, no? He's a big player, but, for sure he's playing with very good confidence after his win in Australia, no?
So, nothing special, no? He has a very good serve, and he's ‑ he has very good position inside the court, no? That's very important, I think. For that reason it's difficult to beat him right now, no?

Q. Serena was very excited to play against you on this water court, and were you excited to play Serena?
RAFAEL NADAL: Sure, it was nice feeling to be there in the water. So it's different, no? I never was doing something like this. Yes, was very happy for me to be there, no? :lol:

Q. And to have Serena there?
RAFAEL NADAL: Sure, Serena is a special player. Very strong player. I saw Serena when I was younger, and for me she is a very good player, so I'm very happy for play against her. :angel:

Q. You went up to the Polo Club a few days ago. Did you get on a horse?
RAFAEL NADAL: No. No, it can be scary, especially before the tournament. I was doing only one charity thing for Nalbandian exhibition, and you have to enjoy little bit there. He had some money for his foundation, so I'm happy for him. :)

Q. Have you ever played polo?
RAFAEL NADAL: I tried in Dubai some years ago.

Q. And?
RAFAEL NADAL: And difficult for me because I scared a little bit. I scared a little bit. I'm not very brave for these things, very courageous.

Q. Yesterday you seemed to be kind of overwhelmed by fans as you were on the practice courts, which you handled very well. Does the accessibility of the practice courts bother you, or do you like that the fans are able to get so close and watch you play?
RAFAEL NADAL: For me, it's good. No, for me it doesn't matter, and I think for the fans it's nice, if they come to a tournament, can go to the court and watch the practice of the players, no? So for me it's perfect.

Q. You said that Novak takes a very good position on the court. Do you mean that he plays inside the court quite a lot? And if so, is that something you've considered doing more yourself?
RAFAEL NADAL: Everyone have his style, no? So I have my style; he has his style. With my style I didn't have a bad results in the last years. For sure I always try to improve my game, and if I have to play more inside, I try to play more inside.
But for play more inside, you have to play ‑ when you are playing well, you can play inside. When you are not playing that well, you can't play like this, no, because you don't feel the ball perfect.
So right now he's playing very well. I played very good tournament in Indian Wells. I played terrible match against Djokovic in semifinals, but the rest matches were ‑‑ match before I was playing very well. So happy for my tournament.
Maybe I can change something more for try to play on hard. But, you know, when I am No. 2 in the race, in the last years I have very good results on hard, too. The true in my mind is thinking I'm not doing bad things for playing in this surface. Yeah whatever

Q. Roger has had a difficult start to the season. Do you feel he's more vulnerable right now, or do you expect him to come back very hard?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, you know how difficult it is to play four years losing, three, four, matches, five in a row? Because if you are a player, you know that, no? So he didn't have a bad start of the year. He played semifinals in Australia. He played semifinals in Indian Wells.
He played in Dubai ‑‑ he has very bad luck because he played against Andy Murray in the first round, one of the top players of the world.
So I think any one day you have to lose some matches, no? But in a way it's very difficult to have the title that Roger have. It's not only the titles, it's the way when he win, no? You have to be always very strong mentally, and he do for the last years and he's still doing.
But the normal thing is lose any match, and maybe here, maybe in Monte‑Carlo, maybe in Rome, he's going to win another time. So you can't be every tournament and every moment at 100%.

Q. How are you feeling about how you're playing right now? What's it going to take for you to win this event?
RAFAEL NADAL: I am fine, no? I have a good start of the season, so happy for that. Just try my best for continuing playing well. The only thing is I didn't win the title, not yet. But I have very good results, final in Chennai, semifinals in Australia, semifinals last week. So we are playing on hard surface. It's not a bad surface for me, but it's not my favorite. I am getting very good results, so I'm happy for that.
Every week I'm in there, quarterfinals, semifinals, final, so in any week I can win, I think. :shrug:

Q. What is going to be your strongness (sic) on the clay?
RAFAEL NADAL: My tournaments. I going to play Davis Cup if the captain wants I come, and later I'm going to play in Monte‑Carlo, Barcelona, Rome, Hamburg, and Paris, I think. You never know because the calendar is very tough, you know.

Q. How do you feel about Hamburg moving to August and Madrid coming earlier in the season? Is that a good thing?
RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know nothing before about Hamburg. You have the official calendar for next year?

Q. Well, I understand it's going to be in August.
RAFAEL NADAL: I really wouldn't know.

Q. Okay.
RAFAEL NADAL: So I think we can't say nothing right now, because we don't know exactly what's going on. And it's going to be tough, I think. Anyway, it's tough to pull out one Masters Series like Hamburg. It's very tough for us to have the four weeks straight this year. Because I understand the Olympics is here, but I don't understand why this tournament is one week after. The true is I really don't understand. Because the last year was Acapulco, Indian Wells, Miami. This year it was Acapulco, Dubai, Indian Wells and Miami.
The thing is why we have to move this tournament and after we have to play? Well, we have two, three months on clay. I only can play four tournaments. Why you put four tournaments straight?
So that's very tough for the clay players. And, well, the top of the ATP have to think about that.

Q. When Hamburg was under threat, you came out in support of it, didn't you?

Q. You came out to support the Hamburg tournament when Hamburg was told it would be demoted. You and Roger, I think, came out in support of Hamburg. You still feel that way?
RAFAEL NADAL: For sure we support the classic tournaments. No, but, I really don't know what's going on so I can't say too much, no?

Q. In addition to tournaments, are you going to be planning on work more on your foundation this year that you just started?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, we are thinking about some things, but we don't know exactly yet, no? We are doing some things. My mother is the president of the foundation, so she's working on this. I don't want to do a lot of things, I just want to do some things.
But when I do something, be there. Because if I am not there, I am not ‑ well, I don't know exactly what they're doing. I have very good confidence with my mother.
But when he have something with the foundation I want to be there, and right now I don't have a lot of time. But when I have a chance, when I have time, I'm going to be there for work on the foundation.
FastScripts by ASAP Sports

He is an angel. :angel:

http://www.sonyericssonopen.com/content/20080327230448.html

Castafiore
03-28-2008, 01:55 PM
That defence of Federer is cute. :lol: He's trying to making the Fedtards proud of him, no? ;)

It's a good point he's making of course. A lot of the speculation about "slumps" are a kneejerk reaction.

Not exactly linked with top players but today, I read an article in my newspaper about the "decline" of the Belgian men in tennis. :rolleyes:
Only Darcis seems to be on his way up (and still, they criticise him after every loss), the others are moving downwards.
An insider commented that the media and the general public only seems to focus on the ranking but they don't know the story behind it.
Malisse's ranking is bad but he was out with an injury for a long time and Xavier said about that: in WTA, Davenport can have a child, come back and win a tournament almost right away. That's not possible in the ATP.
Olivier Rochus is facing an operation.
Vliegen...well, the guy is a major headcase IMO.

Incidently, they asked Malisse about his next match against Nalbandian and if he's motivated and ready for it: Xavier says that they don't get along very well and that helps. :D

But of course: all the media/general public sees is: low ranking = crap players. They don't really bother to learn the story behind it.

Anyway, going back to Nadal's presser:
. I was doing only one charity thing for Nalbandian exhibition, and you have to enjoy little bit there. He had some money for his foundation, so I'm happy for him.
I've read somewhere that they gathered $ 50.000,00 so that's not bad at all.

MariaV
03-28-2008, 02:10 PM
That defence of Federer is cute. :lol: He's trying to making the Fedtards proud of him, no? ;)

It's a good point he's making of course. A lot of the speculation about "slumps" are a kneejerk reaction.

Not exactly linked with top players but today, I read an article in my newspaper about the "decline" of the Belgian men in tennis. :rolleyes:
Only Darcis seems to be on his way up (and still, they criticise him after every loss), the others are moving downwards.
An insider commented that the media and the general public only seems to focus on the ranking but they don't know the story behind it.
Malisse's ranking is bad but he was out with an injury for a long time and Xavier said about that: in WTA, Davenport can have a child, come back and win a tournament almost right away. That's not possible in the ATP.
Olivier Rochus is facing an operation.
Vliegen...well, the guy is a major headcase IMO.

Incidently, they asked Malisse about his next match against Nalbandian and if he's motivated and ready for it: Xavier says that they don't get along very well and that helps. :D

But of course: all the media/general public sees is: low ranking = crap players. They don't really bother to learn the story behind it.

Anyway, going back to Nadal's presser:

I've read somewhere that they gathered $ 50.000,00 so that's not bad at all.

Vent away Hilde, it's not different in any other country though, I must say. :hug:

And yep, $ 50.000,00 is not bad at all, good to see Dave and Rafa so involved in charity. :hatoff: :yeah: :D

tennizen
03-28-2008, 03:05 PM
^^ Nice interview:yeah:

Foxy
03-28-2008, 09:44 PM
Okay, some Miami results:
Nole ousted. Rafa set and 2 breaks up!

raven gypsy
03-28-2008, 09:53 PM
http://www.tennis.com/tournaments/2008/sonyericsson/sonyericsson.aspx?id=123358

Rafa's blog is up at Tennis.com

Ooops nevermind.

You guys are too quick for me again.
Should have known :)

l_mac
03-28-2008, 10:04 PM
^^ We have a seperate thread for the blogs, raven gypsy. Someone started it yesterday :hug:

He won 7-5 6-2 :woohoo: :woohoo:

Xoman
03-28-2008, 10:06 PM
We should congratulate Kevin Anderson. Thanks to him Nadal will now get #1 before Djoker gets the chance. Hopefully Djoker will help take points out of Federer's lead.

Aenea
03-28-2008, 10:25 PM
I'm glad Novak is out but right now I don't want to think and talk about him. I'm just too happy Rafa won.:banana: :bigclap:

Vamos, Rafa. On to the victory. :yippee:

nashty
03-28-2008, 10:54 PM
One round at a time.:D

VAMOS RAFA!

hra87
03-29-2008, 12:47 AM
Is it weird that I am ecstatic that Djokovic lost and only mildly happy that Rafa won?

Am I a bad person?

Tess Gray
03-29-2008, 10:31 AM
Is it weird that I am ecstatic that Djokovic lost and only mildly happy that Rafa won?

Am I a bad person?

neh, what can you do about it :shrug::p

The Pro
03-29-2008, 12:11 PM

Am I a bad person?

I'm sure if both matches were semi's you'd be mildly ecstatic that Rafa won! ;)

It's early days anyway.

l_mac
03-29-2008, 07:22 PM
From someone who was at the match:Originally Posted by cornellboy
I was at the match. Becker was playing really great in the first couple games and Rafa was being really passive. But towards the end of the first set, Rafa really stepped it up and played fantastically. He was hitting really deep and mixed in a lot of flat shots. He hit down the line quite a bit, too

Good to hear!

Getta
03-29-2008, 11:56 PM
Sunday OoP

STADIUM

Svetlana KUZNETSOVA vs. Victoria AZARENKA

Not before 1:00 PM
Fabrice SANTORO vs. James BLAKE

followed by
Lindsay DAVENPORT vs. Ana IVANOVIC

followed by
Nicolas KIEFER vs. Rafael NADAL

l_mac
03-30-2008, 12:01 AM
Day match :woohoo:

Metis
03-30-2008, 02:22 AM
Day match :woohoo:

Well they probably won't start until 5pm EST probably later if Santoro gives Blake a hard time; Davenport-Ivanovic will probably be long too...

hra87
03-30-2008, 04:53 AM
Is there a decent live stream for americans for miami? Indian Wells was unbearable with the little coverage FSN provided.

mallorn
03-30-2008, 09:06 AM
It should be on TV here. :unsure:
Is there a decent live stream for americans for miami? Indian Wells was unbearable with the little coverage FSN provided.
I watched StarSports yesterday, maybe you can try that.

l_mac
03-30-2008, 01:16 PM
Well they probably won't start until 5pm EST probably later if Santoro gives Blake a hard time; Davenport-Ivanovic will probably be long too...

We should still get coverage here :scared: They don't show the night matches live.

Luvyoyoma1954@co
03-30-2008, 02:54 PM
Myp2p.com is carrying from 11:34am to 9pm EST. :wavey:

Aenea
03-31-2008, 12:18 AM
We are in the 4th round already :woohoo:

But that rain delay spoiled the game. Very good 1st set but the 2nd :unsure:
Anyway moving forward and that's all that matters

Vamos

l_mac
03-31-2008, 12:20 AM
Stupid rain :mad:

Rafa wins 62 64

Awesome, awesome performance in the 1st set. The 2nd set was of a poorer quality, but he still hit some great shots and he served well (apart from the last game :rolleyes:)

He kept good length 90% of the time which was great to see :yippee: :yippee:

His f/h was :worship:

His ass was :drool: :inlove: :worship:

tennizen
03-31-2008, 12:26 AM
The first set was great with some spectacular shorts. Didn't watch the second. Matheiu next:scared:

hra87
03-31-2008, 01:04 AM
Rafa = Hardcourt GOAT! He totally consists in the fact that the relation relates itself to its own self.

MariaV
03-31-2008, 07:03 AM
Stupid rain :mad:

Rafa wins 62 64

Awesome, awesome performance in the 1st set. The 2nd set was of a poorer quality, but he still hit some great shots and he served well (apart from the last game :rolleyes:)

He kept good length 90% of the time which was great to see :yippee: :yippee:

His f/h was :worship:

His ass was :drool: :inlove: :worship:

YES YES totally agree with everything. ;) :worship: :bowdown:
And it's good that I didn't manage to go to sleep before the play resumed in the 2nd set. It was totally worth it staying up half night. :D

MariaV
03-31-2008, 07:08 AM
The presser script is so short. :o

R. NADAL/N. Kiefer
6‑2, 6‑4
An interview with:

RAFAEL NADAL

Q. You had to stop a couple times because of the rain. Was it difficult to keep a rhythm?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, it was not the best day because I was playing unbelievable in the beginning, you know, playing very well, hitting very well the ball, and playing almost perfect match, no? :worship: :bowdown: :D :yeah:
So I was very happy about my victory. When I come back to the court the ball was a little bigger and slower, and it was a little bit more difficult for me. :hug: :hug:
Anyway, I feel I played very complete match. Only thing the last game. It was more mistakes than usual.

Q. You play Mathieu next?
RAFAEL NADAL: I play Mathieu.

Q. Can you speak a bit about playing him? He's made a lot of progress in the last year.
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, he always is a very good player, no? I played against him some time before and it was always very, very tough matches. I know he's playing well. He's doing well. He won against Moya today, a very good match.
I saw the match on the TV, and he played very well. So I need continuing playing like this for try to win this match, no? So it's going to be an important match for me.

Q. I have one historical question for you. I know Carlos was your mentor, but Gustavo Kuerten, was he someone you admired when you were younger? And what do you think he meant to tennis, and especially clay tennis?
RAFAEL NADAL: Oh, he's one of the most important players in the last years, no?
So I'm happy for met him. I'm happy for be here in the same tour like him. So I saw him winning in Roland Garros few times, won the Masters. Maybe was in Lisbon when he won. He won I think Agassi and Sampras, and he was the No. 1. So, well, he was amazing player. For sure, I have to admire Guga, no?

http://www.sonyericssonopen.com/content/20080330223539.htmlhttp://www.sonyericssonopen.com/content/20080330223539.html

wedda
03-31-2008, 08:22 AM
very convincing performance specially on serve, best of the year no doubt
hope he continues this way and this title is his :yeah:

Xristos
03-31-2008, 08:47 AM
Vamoooooooooooooos!

raven gypsy
03-31-2008, 10:09 AM
The presser script is so short. :o

[]

Those comments from Rafa about Guga are sweet. Guga's retirement party was this week in Miami.

josie
03-31-2008, 10:59 AM
Rafa's serve seems really great this week
Also against the Bryan Brother if we can believe this Fan

http://www.tennis.com/messageboard/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=8181&posts=1&mid=108375#M108375

I'm at the Ericson Open in Miami and got to watch Nadal yesterday. I was extremely impressed. Nadal and Robredo played the Bryan brothers and they almost beat them!
I was very impressed. Bryan brothers were lucky to win that in 3 sets, Nadal was on fire!

Couple of things which stood out.

Nadal's serve was unbreakable. Mike and Tommy Robredo were the weakest serves and each were struggling to hold in the first set. Nadal and Bob were holding very easily. Nadal was hitting his serves very hard and winning them at love or at 40-15. Nadal was playing so well, that the Bryan brothers were flustered, wondering what the heck was going on? Nadal was ripping 100mph forehand returns, taking hard serves early. It was ridiculous. He was volleying very well, placing volleys for winners. He hit many forehand passing shots down the line, through the middle... sizzling, may i add. One forehand was hit so freaking hard that it went through the Bryan brothers. I got to see many players yestrday and that was the hardest forehand of them all. He caught a ball on thr rise, flicked it through the Bryan Brothers at a speed which left the brothers frozen in time wondering where the ball was. I thought Bryan brothers were gonna destroy Nadal/Robredo but turns out Nadal's power and quick hands were almost good enough to take the two brothers down, even though Robredo looked weak

I have seen Nadal many times on tv and i don't know if he just played very well (better than the Bryan brothers themselves!) or this is how he hits all the time. I was simply impressed and so was everyone else watching. I think his serve was going to be vulnerable, his volleys shaky and his groundies high and loopy. No way. What i saw was a guy who was serving hard, crushing the groundtrokes, great hands at the net...

I think Nadal is stubborn on hardcourts and plays too defensive and too far back but from what i saw today, he can hit as hard as anyone and serve well. He just needs to play inside the baseline and do what he can do. Against Blake at IW, i recalll he played too passive until the final few games where he stepped in and hit winners. He was like 5 out of 5 when attacking the serve and hit cold winners. He can do it, he just needs to change the way he plays a little on hardcourts. The problem is that it's very hard for him since this style makes him the most dominant player on clay. The interesting thing is that in doubles, he is forced to be more agresive so you get to see Nadal playing differently and he shows you he can do it. He is very talented, looks like a magician on the court..very quick hands, power, variety. I was very very impressed, pleasantky suprised. I think if Nadal keeps on improving and starts taking more risks and playing more aggresive in singles, he is a real threat to Federer for #1 spot this year. Let's see how he does at Miami. Novak is out and he has a good chance to make finals. Hopefully Roger is there.

I also saw Murray and Ancic, good long match. Murray is solid, Ancic is dangerous. Neither hit the ball as hard as Nadal yesterday. They played well and it was a long 3 set match but Nadal looked superior.

Zaba
03-31-2008, 11:01 AM
The first set was great with some spectacular shorts

Indeed ;)

tennizen
03-31-2008, 01:57 PM
Indeed ;)

:haha: You had to point that out didn't you:)

The Pro
03-31-2008, 04:02 PM
I would love to see Rafa play doubles some day. Apparently he's really fast at the net and his crazy lefty forehand is a very potent weapon on the doubles court too.

I almost got the chance at Wimbledon, but then it rained. :sad:

cinamoon
03-31-2008, 04:22 PM
he was amazing. I hope he keeps it up, especially since he has PHM next.:cool:

MariaV
04-01-2008, 06:54 AM
Stadium: 11:00 AM Start
1. Men's Singles: 4th Round Draw
Radek Stepanek (CZE) [27] vs. James Blake (USA) [9]
Not Before 1:00 PM Draw
2. Women's Singles: Quarterfinals
Justine Henin (BEL) [1] vs. Serena Williams (USA) [8]
3. Men's Singles: 4th Round Draw
Roger Federer (SUI) [1] vs. Jose Acasuso (ARG)
4. Men's Singles: 4th Round Draw
Paul-Henri Mathieu (FRA) [16] vs. Rafael Nadal (ESP) [2]

Gosh, I think I need some sleep before Rafa's match tonight. :yawn:

Foxy
04-01-2008, 07:18 AM
I am pissed. Why Federer is playing before Nadal? It's just not right. And why Blake is playing 4 hours (give or take) before Nadal? They should play at the same time on different courts. Rafa is f*cked.

elessar
04-01-2008, 01:36 PM
Apparently a crazy (in a good way)fedtard who's in miami right now saw Rafa, here's what she said :
Just before the match I ran into Leslie Laura and Marianne hanging out by the players area. They were taking pics of different players coming in and out. Suddenly Nadal comes out. Laura yells, "Rafa, Rafa, can you take a pic with us?" Seeing us in the "GO ROGER" t-shirt, Nadal laughs "What? A pic with Roger?" (said as Royer) He sounded really funny. But he promptly did pose with Leslie and Laura, and with the sweetest smile. I was too slow to take my camera out for that. I'm no Nadal fan but that was a very cute moment - he definitely is a good sport.

MariaV
04-01-2008, 02:04 PM
Thank you Claire! :kiss: We all know Rafa is a sweetiepie and an angel. :angel:

Metis
04-01-2008, 02:06 PM
I want to see the photo with Rafa and the 2 girls wearing the GO ROGER t-shirts :lol:

elessar
04-01-2008, 02:12 PM
Thank you Claire! :kiss: We all know Rafa is a sweetiepie and an angel. :angel:
Of course we do :smooch:
I want to see the photo with Rafa and the 2 girls wearing the GO ROGER t-shirts :lol:
I'll se what I can do ;)

mallorn
04-01-2008, 06:29 PM
Thanks Claire. Funny reaction from Rafa. :lol:

Metis
04-01-2008, 10:03 PM
6-4 6-4 Not bad Rafa :yeah:

1st – (Bye)
2nd -
3rd -
4th – Xristos, l_mac
QF - Yana, raven_gypsy, Blaze-2004, Kitty de Sade, The Pro, mallorn

Xristos and l_mac are today's losers :ras: Hopefully more to follow...

mallorn
04-01-2008, 10:07 PM
Yes please, I want to lose badly. :D

neenah
04-01-2008, 10:19 PM
Nice job Rafa. I'm a PHM fan too but I'm happy Rafa got the result. :)

wedda
04-01-2008, 10:30 PM
Again pretty convincing, some brilliant winners:yeah:

Getta
04-01-2008, 10:37 PM
Wednesday OoP

STADIUM

L.Davenport/D.Hantuchova vs. K.Srebotnik/A.Sugiyama

Elena Dementieva vs. Jelena Jankovic

Not before 3:00 PM
James Blake vs. Rafael Nadal

neenah
04-01-2008, 11:19 PM
Good luck against Blake, Rafa. :unsure:

raven gypsy
04-02-2008, 12:08 AM
Nice to see Rafa playing well. :)

hra87
04-02-2008, 01:05 AM
Wednesday OoP

STADIUM

L.Davenport/D.Hantuchova vs. K.Srebotnik/A.Sugiyama

Elena Dementieva vs. Jelena Jankovic

Not before 3:00 PM
James Blake vs. Rafael Nadal

DAMN IT!!!!!

Why couldn't it have been a night match...

MariaV
04-02-2008, 06:44 AM
Girls and boys, anyone, what's 3 pm in CET? is it 8 pm or 9 pm?

l_mac
04-02-2008, 07:06 AM
Girls and boys, anyone, what's 3 pm in CET? is it 8 pm or 9 pm?

9pm.

nashty
04-02-2008, 07:29 AM
Rafa did good on Mathieu!:D
I still don't know if I want to watch his match against Blake...

MariaV
04-02-2008, 07:33 AM
9pm.

Muah, thank you SO much Linda! :smooch:

Aenea
04-02-2008, 09:23 AM
Nice win :woohoo: though it could have been 6-2 6-4. But I'm just happy Rafa is through.

Good luck vs Blake. Remember IW. :D
Go, Rafa. :bigclap:

nashty
04-02-2008, 11:37 AM
Remember IW. :D

I will. And now I have a gooood reason to watch his match against Blake.:D

Vamos Rafa!:)

GuiroNl
04-02-2008, 09:18 PM
He won, I did not know what to expect from this match.

Nadal played well but James went haywire :)

Aenea
04-02-2008, 09:24 PM
Bravo, Rafa!! :clap2:

I never expected anything but a win. Great match. Ace on 2nd serve :worship:
I'm extremely happy not only because Rafa won but because he played so unbelievable well. Great!

Go, Rafa :yippee:

tennizen
04-02-2008, 09:25 PM
Still surviving in MIT:cool:

MariaV
04-02-2008, 09:28 PM
That was pretty good, no? :D
3-6 6-3 6-1

I was worried when Rafa lost the first set after one careless service game and James was serving so well and hitting crazy return winners om Rafa's serve but James obviously got tired towards the end of the 2nd set, can we say Rafa wore him out? :o Although the match lasted even a few minutes less than 2 hours. Rafa's BP conversion was of course horrible but mostly James was serving bombs on BPs and Rafa couldn't do much. Only in the end it caught up with James as it's not easy saving BPs all the time of course.

hra87
04-02-2008, 09:28 PM
Still surviving in MIT:cool:

MIT? Miami...something something.

Anyhoo, YAY!

tennizen
04-02-2008, 09:31 PM
MIT? Miami...something something.

Anyhoo, YAY!

Metis invitational trophy:rolls:

mallorn
04-02-2008, 09:34 PM
I'm out. :D

hra87
04-02-2008, 09:39 PM
Metis invitational trophy:rolls:

:) I said winner if I recall, so I'm in too.

I thought maybe Rafa had enrolled in Massachussets Institute of Technology. I thought he didn't want to go to college? :confused: Oh well, if you're going to do something...do it right. :devil:

raven gypsy
04-02-2008, 09:42 PM
well well well vamos vamos vamos You showed me, Rafa. :D

Getta
04-02-2008, 10:01 PM

Congrats. :yeah:

Hope I get my prediction dead wrong too. :D

Metis
04-02-2008, 10:09 PM
Update :)

1st – (Bye)
2nd -
3rd -
4th – Xristos, l_mac
QF - yana, raven_gypsy, Blaze-2004, Kitty de Sade, The Pro, mallorn

Xristos and l_mac have already lost...

today's losers: yana, raven_gypsy, Blaze-2004, Kitty de Sade, The Pro, mallorn :hug: ......... :dance:

I thought maybe Rafa had enrolled in Massachussets Institute of Technology. I thought he didn't want to go to college? :confused: Oh well, if you're going to do something...do it right. :devil:

I'm sure MIT's tennis team (if they have one at all :p) would have been ecstatic :lol:

"I go to MIT, no?" :lol:

In any case, our MIT competition is as prestigious (if not more) as the homonymous engineering school. :D

nashty
04-02-2008, 10:24 PM
Come on. Keep the losers piling up (except for the W, of course).:p

Rafa did great! Go for the win!:D

spriwi
04-02-2008, 10:53 PM
well done rafa :yeah:

needs more agressive shots in the SF, and everything will be possible :)

i wish he got a chance to trash blake on clay one day :rocker2: (which is not gonna happen, cause blake never wins a match on clay :o)

StevoTG
04-02-2008, 11:36 PM
Come on Rafa. Definately in with a big chance of winning the title for his 10th Masters Series :eek:
His aggressive play this week, when used, has been awesome :eek::clap2:

l_mac
04-03-2008, 12:12 AM
Finally a decent presser:

RAFAEL NADAL

Q. A few weeks ago before Indian Wells, people were saying, and looking at his record, thinking he's maybe a little bit in your head. What turned around? And are you in his head a little bit now maybe?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't think, so. I think we play very tough matches, both, Indian Wells and here. Very good matches I think.
Well, he start playing so aggressive. I don't have many chances in the beginning. I can't touch the ball. I can't get the rhythm in the beginning, nothing. But I was all the time very focused, no? Serving well? The first set, I don't know, but I was playing well, winning my serves easy.
So later in the 4‑3, 30‑Love, you play against James and he has three winners, returns, something like this. So you don't know why, but you are 6‑3 down.
So later I won a very important point. One 15‑30 with one long volley after long point with the backhand. This change a little bit the match, no? And later I have the break in the 4‑3. That's turn of the match.

Q. You've found a way to get on James' backhand side and make that work for you. How have you done that?

RAFAEL NADAL: I think I play better this two times than the last times against him, no? I change a little bit tactically. I play more aggressive than before.
I think just before I was running a lot, two meters behind the line. I think right now I playing a little bit more aggressive. I can lose, but I think it's the only way for try to win.

Q. Does it help to hit the service returns high to James on the backhand side?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I need change the serve because I don't have 230 kilometer serve. Well, so I have to change. I serve with more topspin sometimes. Sometimes a little bit more flat. But I have to change. If not, it's impossible because he returns so fast.

Q. Has Djokovic's early loss here taken a bit of pressure off you in terms of ranking? Obviously after this tournament you've got a lot of points to defend. Do you feel a little less pressure now?

RAFAEL NADAL: Djokovic is very good player. He can be No. 1, No. 2 or No. 3 right now. Doesn't matter, no?
But I just try my best in every tournament. If he pass me and he's the No. 2 or No. 1, we have to accept that and congratulate him. But the only thing is try to put the ‑‑ I just try my best. And, well, with this tournament, a little bit with more calm.
But anyway, I have to defend a lot of points. He's going to have his good chances on clay for pass me. But I just ‑‑ my goal is try to continuing playing like here and play like this, I going to have my chances for being in the top positions.

Q. Do you feel as though you're game is coming together now? I know it's the end of hard court season, but do you get the sense that things are beginning to come into place for you at an important time?

RAFAEL NADAL: I think for me it's very good, both tournaments, no? Semifinals in Indian Wells and being in semifinals here, it's very good tournament for me. Best players of the world are here, playing at hard surface.
So three most important tournaments this year on hard, I was in the semifinals in all three, no? So I think I'm playing well, for sure, and my opinion is that I am playing much better here than Australia.
Right now I am feeling like I am playing at my best level, so that's important for come to the clay season with more confidence, too. But at the same time, disappointing, because right now finish the hard season and then I'm playing better than before.
I think the last week help me a little bit with the big wins against Tsonga and Blake. After, I play very bad match in semifinals against Djokovic. Anyway, I play very good matches, and I come in this week with more confidence, no?

Q. In both these matches the past few weeks, at the end James' level seemed to go down. He looked like he wasn't feeling so confident anymore. Is that something that you notice on your side of net? When was the last time you felt so discouraged against a player at that stage of the match?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, sometimes happen, no? Well, the thing is it's strange. I don't know what he says before. I don't know what he says. But I think he was playing fine today. I think he was playing very good tennis.
After the third game or fourth game of third set he comes a little bit down. I have lucky with the break point net on the inside. But I think he goes a little bit down, no?
I have the same last week against Djokovic. I played, but it's a little bit different because I start playing bad and I finish playing worse. He start playing well, and he finish a little bit worse. But it was a tight match, not similar.

Q. Maybe the most important point of the match: Breakpoint, fourth game, third set. He hits an overhead right at you. Did you feint one way first to try to get behind you? Is that how you were able to retrieve the over head?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, it was in the third game. Yeah. I don't know. I just ‑‑ I have bad lob, I think, not very well. Anyway, I have lucky because I touch the ball here and the ball can goes anyplace.

Q. Can you talk a little bit about the fact that you missed so many breakpoints today?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah. Sometimes happen, no?

Q. But were you getting a bit crazy about it?
RAFAEL NADAL: The true is I didn't know. I know when I sit in the changeover of the first set. So that's the first time what I know that, no?
But I think he play well. He play good serves. I tried to play aggressive when I have the chance. This is the only way to win: Play aggressive, no? But, well, he serve very good points and I have some mistakes with the forehand in the return, but anyway, he played very well, the important points.

Q. Will you watch Berdych tonight?
RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know. I don't know. It's at 9:00, no? I don't think so. I think we know each other, Berdych and Andreev, and he's not an unknown player. It's dinnertime.

Q. Should you reach the final, would you prefer to play Roger Federer and maybe get the chance to reverse the result of 2005 when you had a lead of two sets to Love and 4‑1 and you lost the match? Would you prefer to play Federer because of that?

RAFAEL NADAL: I prefer to play the final.

Q. Yeah. But would you prefer Federer in the final if you get there?
RAFAEL NADAL: Ask me when I am in the final, when I come here after semifinals and if I am there, no?

http://www.sonyericssonopen.com/content/20080402190717.html

Getta
04-03-2008, 01:13 AM
Finally a decent presser:

http://www.sonyericssonopen.com/content/20080402190717.html

Judging on how well he overcame the language obstacle and answered the last three questions, Rafa is a very smart guy. Nice to see that he refuses to break his dinner routine and watch the Berdych-Andreev match. ;)

Thanks, Linda. :hug:

l_mac
04-03-2008, 01:24 AM
This made me laugh:

Q. Maybe the most important point of the match: Breakpoint, fourth game, third set. He hits an overhead right at you. Did you feint one way first to try to get behind you? Is that how you were able to retrieve the over head?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, it was in the third game. Yeah. I don't know. I just ‑‑ I have bad lob, I think, not very well. Anyway, I have lucky because I touch the ball here and the ball can goes anyplace.

He remembers every point.

hra87
04-03-2008, 02:46 AM
This made me laugh:

He remembers every point.

Which one of the common people who post on this board made the Federer thing to mimic yours? That person did a poor job it (no offense to said person), since the images didn't match the words at all.

the_natural
04-03-2008, 04:39 AM
Ughh im so f@#$ing nervous, I think Berdych is more of a problem than blake, just cos he seems to genuinely despise rafa, or at least it seemed that way from the post match interviews, but then i read that he and rafa made good at halle last year so who knows. But Berdych said that Rafa always played the same since juniors blah blah, and hes having a 05 madrid run again, after seeing his second match i had this sinking feeling that he would play rafa and i dont know what rafa can do.

Keep the ball really deep and then find the sharp angle to the back hand, have him running to his backhand and get him to take one hand off the racket as much as possible, if he uses that slice serve alot, hit it as wide as possible with less pace and more spin, Make him move as much as possible and dont worry about going for the winners as much as making him move, get as many decent service returns back as possible and try to attack the second serve but even thats a far deadlier shot than blakes.

This will be like playing tsonga except "easier" in theory because tsonga was a blake-berdych love child, speed power and killer serve, but tsonga is also green and he sorrtta wilted against rafa at IW.

i REALLY dont think that rafas serve to the berdych forehand will be as effective as it was against blake, and we all know his kick serve will be murdered by the berdych backhand, its just that his wingspan is so great and blake always seems a little bit like hes "red lining" his game when hes being hyper aggressive and stuff like today whereas berdych makes its look so effortless. Rafas gonna really have to make him run and not try to out hit him but also not just getting lots of shots back cos berdych is striking the ball too well, I think also serving into the body nice and hard, doing that ALOT, will eventually make berdych angry if he has to keep getting out of the way of the serve. Sure he may crack a few if he picks up on it, but at least hes making him work for it, alot of variety, I WISH that rafa had a good slice backhand, to make berdych bend his knees and also change things up alot.

I know, lets make a human sacrifice to the god of weather so that it will be an extremley windy day when they play in the semis, anything to piss him off and make him implode mentally.

Seriously though I think if Rafa can some how get in berdychs' head by mixing it up, making him WORK for points and making him run and force him to just move around the ball more etc, do something to get him out of his comfort zone, even if he has to sacrifice the first set, in the end itll pay off cos Berdych still can be pretty lazy and has a temper to be exploited.

Björki
04-03-2008, 05:44 AM
well done Rafa :)

Naide
04-03-2008, 05:50 AM
Ha Ha Blake

Vol 2.

elessar
04-03-2008, 02:12 PM
Which one of the common people who post on this board made the Federer thing to mimic yours? That person did a poor job it (no offense to said person), since the images didn't match the words at all.
None taken :hug:
I'll explain what happened :
First Linda made this sig, fangirl that she is :
http://img2.menstennisforums.com/500/droolsig2.gif

which I mocked :
http://img2.menstennisforums.com/500/Sig1.jpg

And which she mocked in return :
http://img2.menstennisforums.com/500/Fedsig.gif

but she was very sad not to have asses dangling around in her sig anymore :sad:(Linda :hug:) so I promised I'd change mine to an uberfangirl one (the fact that the words and the pics don't match was done on purpose to increase the fangirl factor) so that she could put the first one back. Obviously I should have known not to trust this backstabbing deceitful lovely Rafatard because she kept the third one:(.

acionescu
04-03-2008, 03:10 PM

Congratulations! :banana: I hope I'll be out too tomorrow! *prays*

mallorn
04-03-2008, 03:31 PM
Congratulations! :banana: I hope I'll be out too tomorrow! *prays*
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. :hug:

hra87
04-03-2008, 03:59 PM
None taken :hug:
I'll explain what happened :
First Linda made this sig, fangirl that she is :
http://img2.menstennisforums.com/500/droolsig2.gif

which I mocked :
http://img2.menstennisforums.com/500/Sig1.jpg

And which she mocked in return :
http://img2.menstennisforums.com/500/Fedsig.gif

but she was very sad not to have asses dangling around in her sig anymore :sad:(Linda :hug:) so I promised I'd change mine to an uberfangirl one (the fact that the words and the pics don't match was done on purpose to increase the fangirl factor) so that she could put the first one back. Obviously I should have known not to trust this backstabbing deceitful lovely Rafatard because she kept the third one:(.

Oh, ok, thanks. I've seen all of them except your original one mocking Rafa (VERY FUNNY), but didn't know the order. THanks for the clarification.

l_mac
04-03-2008, 04:28 PM
:woohoo:

luneworld uploaded Rafa's post Blake presser to youtube :worship:

SVHeZtb7-lg

:hearts:

tangerine_dream
04-03-2008, 06:04 PM
The sig wars you guys have going on is hilarious. :lol:

So I finally saw some of Rafa's match with James. BAMOS! :music: He's starting to look like his old self out there again. I knew he'd get his confidence back in Miami. Keep on rolling, Rafa. :cool:

mallorn
04-03-2008, 09:30 PM
The faces Rafa pulls kill me. I liked how he was all indignant when the interpreter started translating the question without Rafa asking, and then Rafa had to ask for his help twice. :haha:

Apparently Rafa's SF will be at 6 pm GMT, 7 pm CET.

Getta
04-03-2008, 10:04 PM
Friday OoP

STADIUM

Match start at 1:00 PM
Tomas Berdych vs. Rafael Nadal

MariaV
04-04-2008, 06:46 AM
VAMOS! :banana: :bigclap:

Foxy
04-04-2008, 01:17 PM
I've got a question.
Did Rafa play Davis Cup last year in april like this year?
I remember not.

Aenea
04-04-2008, 01:50 PM
He didn't.

http://www.daviscup.com/teams/team.asp?team=ESP

Davis Cup official site is one of the best organized and maintained sites I've ever seen. Full of information and easy to navigate.

hra87
04-04-2008, 02:31 PM
The faces Rafa pulls kill me. I liked how he was all indignant when the interpreter started translating the question without Rafa asking, and then Rafa had to ask for his help twice. :haha:

Apparently Rafa's SF will be at 6 pm GMT, 7 pm CET.

Ah damn it...is that what 1pm EST?

Edit: and yeah, it was so funny when Rafa got upset at the interpreter assuming he didn't understand the question (which he clearly didn't from his answer).

l_mac
04-04-2008, 04:06 PM
I've got a question.
Did Rafa play Davis Cup last year in april like this year?
I remember not.

He withdrew with a foot injury while still competing in Miami :o:o:o

Okay. I am majorly :scared: :unsure:

Rafa is winning the MTF poll :( Defeat seems likely :bigcry:

Stil, semis :woohoo: Not bad :yeah:

Metis
04-04-2008, 04:21 PM
Only 40 minutes till the beginning of the match.... :scared:

wind: 30km/h gusting to 45km/h (according to weather.com) :p

Getta
04-04-2008, 07:01 PM
I'm out!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Getta
04-04-2008, 07:03 PM
Miami SF: Rafael Nadal defeated Tomas Berdych 7-6(6) 6-2.

Naide
04-04-2008, 07:05 PM
Damn i'm out too.
Rafito :mad:

anon57
04-04-2008, 07:06 PM
Good result for Nadal

Aenea
04-04-2008, 07:08 PM
We are on a winning streak :yippee:

Rafa is in the finals already, I'm so happy :yippee:

Rafa :bigclap:

I never doubted he was going to win. Maybe because I wasn't aware of Berdych's game I didn't take him as a threat. Really.

Vamos, Rafa

mallorn, you were rooting for Berdych :confused:

tennizen
04-04-2008, 07:09 PM
Still surviving. Hoping to take the winner's points this tourney:cool:

nashty
04-04-2008, 07:09 PM
Come on!!! One more match and he'll be biting the trophy!!!:D:D:D

VAMOS RAFA!!:D

Xoman
04-04-2008, 07:17 PM
Well, I am glad that Nadal has achieved the milestone I expected (final). Now I wouldn't mind being wrong for the MIT competition. If Nadal doesn't give a wedding engagement present to Andy Rodick like Federer did then Nadal will have for the first time >6000 points (6080 to be exact) ranking points for 6600 Federer (if my maths are correct). Djoker will drop below 5000 so Nadal's #2 is pretty much secured during the clay season.
I sense that pretty soon Nadal will become #1. It could be right after finishing Roland Garros that Nadal becomes #1. My gut feeling tells me that Federer will drop the ball during the clay season.

Metis
04-04-2008, 07:18 PM
Update :woohoo:

1st – (Bye)
2nd -
3rd -
4th – Xristos, l_mac

Xristos and l_mac have already lost... as well as yana, raven_gypsy, Blaze-2004, Kitty de Sade, The Pro and mallorn

today's losers: Tess Gray, acionescu, Getta, wildegirl05, Naide :hug: ......... :dance:

Still surviving. Hoping to take the winner's points this tourney:cool:

Me too :banana:

mallorn
04-04-2008, 07:19 PM
What on earth gave you that idea? :confused: :lol:

rafa_maniac
04-04-2008, 07:27 PM
So freakin' happy. And Rafa was supposedly "done" a few weeks ago. Two hardcourt finals (including a possible Masters win) a hardcourt Grand Slam Semi (for the first time) and another Masters semi. His best start to a season ever, and clay just aroud the corner...

GuiroNl
04-04-2008, 07:34 PM
Update :woohoo:

today's losers: Tess Gray, acionescu, Getta, wildegirl05, Naide :hug: ......... :dance:

It would be great if I lose on Sunday :haha:

Aenea
04-04-2008, 07:50 PM
What on earth gave you that idea? :confused: :lol:

Sorry, my bad, :o it weren't you, I just checked the thread. I'm gonna stand in the corner. :sad:
I'm so much out of form today.

mallorn
04-04-2008, 07:53 PM
Sorry, my bad, :o it weren't you, I just checked the thread. I'm gonna stand in the corner. :sad:
I'm so much out of form today.
:lol: That's ok, no need to stand in the corner. :hug:

acionescu
04-04-2008, 08:00 PM
:woohoo:

luneworld uploaded Rafa's post Blake presser to youtube :worship:

SVHeZtb7-lg:hearts:

His faces are beyond words of cuteness! :inlove: :hearts: :kiss:
I allways watch his English pressers with the sound off! His English is hurting my ears but his looks are just killing me! *faintsmiley*

I'm out!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Me, too! :dance: :crazy: :banana:

:haha: :haha: :haha:

It would be great if I lose on Sunday :haha:

Go Maria, Hema, Cheryl, etc.....http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/party/party0002.gif

Heavenseventeen
04-04-2008, 08:10 PM
Serena and Nadal in the final! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!

l_mac
04-04-2008, 08:24 PM
tangy, who will you root for if it is Rafa/Andy?? I'm sure you'll agree Rafa needs the title more. :awww:

:D

tennizen
04-04-2008, 09:11 PM
Press Conference is up. Nadal's response when asked why he doesn't hit winners off his backhand:lol:

R. NADAL/T. Berdych

7‑6, 6‑2

An interview with:

RAFAEL NADAL

Q. Pretty incredible second set. You won the last 12 points and no unforced errors. Were you feeling pretty on top of him?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I think very good tournament. I think I am playing very well this tournament, so today was great match, too. Because it's very tough player like Berdych. Happy for the win.
First set was tough, especially in the end, because I have a lot of chances and never finish, the set.
But I think in the beginning of the first set it was very important. To be very concentrate with my serve. Because against ‑‑ wind was very tough. And I have some breakpoints against, but I can be very concentrate all the time.

Q. Did you feel like after you double‑faulted to lose the set on the 7th set point that he kind of went away, that you defeated him mentally at that point?
RAFAEL NADAL: I don't think so. I think I had a lot of chances before. First set point with my serve, 5‑3, 15‑40 and 5‑4, 6‑3 in the tiebreak. A lot of chances.
I did not win any, one, but in that moment I was feeling playing better than Tomas in the moment, because I feel ‑‑ I all the time (in Spanish). I was ahead all the time in the score.

Q. How much better are you as a hard‑court player now than three years ago when you were in the final here?
RAFAEL NADAL: Always we must have the comparison. I think it's impossible compare it. 2005 I won in Montreal, I won in Madrid, I played the final here. The numbers are saying I'm not much better than 2005, so...
I think I have more years, more experience. I'm better player than 2005. I don't have any doubt about this. But it's impossible to compare it. It's totally change feelings.

Q. We had a sensational match last night here. Did you watch it? Federer versus Roddick. If you did, what are your thoughts?
RAFAEL NADAL: I don't watch any point. I didn't watch any point, so I can't say.

Q. Are you surprised that it's Andy and not Roger?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, when you have one score, head to head like 14‑0, last 14 times, for sure it's surprise, but when you play against Roddick all the match depends on points.
So if you are not playing at your 100% and if he's serving well, he's playing well, he play some points important points well from the baseline, you have very difficult match.

Q. I think I read something on your blog that people shouldn't be too hard on Roger. Based on last night's match, don't say that something is wrong with Roger, that he played well. Can you talk a little bit about that?
RAFAEL NADAL: I think the people are speaking too much about Roger's moment. I think Roger is not in that moment, but, you know, it's very tough be all the time at 100%.
He has for last four or five years unbelievable records. Right now he's not doing bad. He's doing semifinals in Australia and semifinals Indian Wells. Here, quarterfinals.
For sure we are not ‑‑ for us, not normal watch Roger lose in these tournaments, but he's a human person. Anything can happen, because the levels always are very close. Roger has a special ability and always win the important matches and win in the difficult moments.
For that reason, I think it's not fair right now we speak bad about Roger.

Q. You had a tough tournament in Indian Wells and took a pretty tough loss there. I was just wondering how long did it take you to overcome that emotionally or being down about that? In general, how did you deal with a loss? Because you've come back and are playing really, really well.
RAFAEL NADAL: No one hour. I think Indian Wells I play a very good tournament. I arrive there without my best confidence. I lost in Rotterdam against Seppi and Dubai against Roddick without playing. Improving a little bit my level against Roddick in the quarterfinals of Dubai, but far away than the level that I'm playing right now.
So I know won against Tsonga and Blake was a very good win for me for my confidence, and I arrive to semifinals a little bit tired without believing 100% in my chances in that match.
But after my match against Djokovic, I always have a positive thoughts. I play very good tournament, played terrible match today, I thought, in the moment. But why not? I can play very good tournament in Miami because I am playing better. My feeling was I'm coming better every day.
So I arrive here and I practice every day very well. I say the press conference before tournament I was playing very well, and right now I am in the finals. So anything can happen in this final.
Anyway, for me, going to be very important tournament, this one, because play a final in Masters Series event, beating against big players and playing, I know I am playing at one of my best levels.

Q. In the first game of the match, you hit two very powerful backhands, but for the rest of the match we didn't really see that anymore. Can you explain, because you can hit that shot, why you don't do it more often?
RAFAEL NADAL: I really don't know. I didn't think about this. I think I have more backhands, no? But, you know, sometimes it depends of the points. It's difficult say why I'm not touching the ball. It's about your feeling in that moment, no? I don't know.

Q. Because a lot of times you played the backhand more safe, but you can hit it very powerful, and people talk about how you should play aggressive on hard courts. It's much talked about. That's why, because you can hit the shot, and we'd like to see it more often maybe.
RAFAEL NADAL: I going to do more times in the final. (Laughter.) If you like, I going to do it.

Q. I know you still have a match to go here, but could you look ahead to next week in the Davis Cup against Germany and your thoughts on that?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, it's going to be tough for me. I going to arrive there on Tuesday night, so Wednesday and Thursday, two days only preparation.
So going to be tough. Going to be the decision of the captain put me on Friday or not. I going to try my best for arrive there with my best conditions, but we'll have a very difficult confrontation against Germany, no? Outside, for us it's always difficult for play outside.
We have a complete team. We can play singles and doubles for all four, because I think we have very good level. So we hope have chances for being in the semifinals and play finally at home after long time.

Q. Talk about your match and Andy in Dubai, and what do you have to do if you play him in the finals to beat him? Obviously return of serve is the key.
RAFAEL NADAL: I think continuing playing like this. So if I play the final like I played the matches before, I going to have chances for a win. I don't have chances for lose, too. But I think if I playing like this, I going to have my chances.

Q. But against Andy, is the key returning his serve? That it?
RAFAEL NADAL: It's always the key, returning his serve. You can't prepare the match believing in return his serve, because if he's serving 144 miles, your strategy is not this. My strategy is try to play aggressive all the time and be safe with my serve and ‑‑ well, with my serve and continuing like this.
So after, wait my chance on the return. If you are all the time in the final normally you have chance.

Q. Every player wants to wins tournaments, Grand Slams. Where does achieving the No. 1 ranking fit for you? How much of focus is there on that? What would it mean to you if that were to come?
RAFAEL NADAL: For me, the most important thing is feeling well, feeling playing well, and feeling at the best level. If I am at the best level I have chances for being No. 1, for be No. 2, for be No.3, for No. 4, or No. 5.
But my goal is try to be in the top positions. So I have three years in a row No. 2. This is unbelievable position, because with my points, we have a lot of No. 1s before.
So I think it's ‑‑ I can't say too much about this, no? Just try to continuing playing at the same level like last years, and if I have any chance for be No. 1, I will try to do.
But for me it's not obsession to be No. 1, no? Just I always try my best. I am not finding the No. 1. You are No. 1 or you are not No. 1. That's my feelings.

Q. A lot of the European players tell us that this part of the calendar is very hard for them. They get tired being in the United States for a month or over five weeks. You seem to play well in these tournaments. Are you comfortable here in the United States for that long of time? And if so, why is that?
RAFAEL NADAL: I'm very comfortable in United States, but not for this time. It's not fair have one month, two tournaments, and after go back to Europe and we have to play three Masters Series on clay.
We only have three Masters Series on clay during all the season, and we have three Masters Series in four weeks. So for us it's terrible, that.
And three Masters Series in the middle of the biggest tournament on clay in the world: Barcelona. So if you see the calendar, that is unbelievable.
Everybody can say about the Olympics. Is not for the Olympics. This year we have that. It's because these two tournaments are one week later, because you have university or something like this, college basketball. I respect 100% the college basketball. I think it's very important.
I know here it's very important, the college basketball, because I saw always the American players and the mens in the locker room watching always this.
But, well, we can't have the calendar thinking about the college basketball, no? So we are 100% disappointed about this decision of the ATP.
Finally the European players are, well, I don't know, very angry about these decisions, no? For me it's terrible. You know, I'm a clay player, but I can play very well on all surface. But play four weeks it's impossible if you are playing well, no?

Q. Andy Murray has just announced that had Alex Corretja is going to be his coach through the clay season. Your thoughts on that whether you're surprised, because Alex is a TV guy now, and what you think he can help Andy with.
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I really don't know because I didn't have ‑‑ I don't know how he's working Alex against one player, no? For sure he has enough experience on clay. He can pass on his feelings how to play on clay to Andy.
But anyway Andy, I think, is very talented player. He can play very well in all surfaces, no? Why not on clay? I think he going to do very good.

Q. Perhaps the one phase of your game that has improved the most is your serve, both first and second serve. Could you assess for us how much improvement you've made over the last two years in your serving?
RAFAEL NADAL: I don't like to speak too much about my improves, because every week we are speaking about my improvement. I don't know, I always try to improve everything. My serve, for sure, is more ‑‑ is more difficult improve my forehand than my serve, because I have my serve here and my forehand here.
When you start playing tennis, you ‑‑ well, I don't know how you're playing, but you have more chances to improve than me, so it's easier. So if my serve is worse I have more chances for improve.
But I always try to improve everything. My serve is important part of my game to improve, and I was very focus all the time with my serve and with my volleys with my slice, because I am slicing much better than two years before now, too. I use my slice on hard surfaces important shot, and two years before I didn't use.

l_mac
04-04-2008, 09:35 PM
He is annoyed about IW and Miami being pushed back because of the stupid March Madness thing. Quite right too.

Some words from Berdych :hug:

TOMAS BERDYCH

Q. Do you think you played a little too defensive out there today?

TOMAS BERDYCH: Well, I don't think so. I mean, the first set was the key of the match, and I unlikely lost a couple of points in the end of the set.
That's happened. He was playing really solid and he took the first set, and then I have to say that, like ‑‑ well, I get a little bit tired, and then I ‑‑ I mean, if you are not 100% with him, then it's really tough to play.

Q. The double fault was your first of the match but very crucial?

TOMAS BERDYCH: Yeah. I mean, once ‑‑ it has to happen like for the first time. That's what I said. Like unluckily it was in the tiebreak. It was really close.
I mean, I was down in the tiebreak. I came back, and maybe if I made the first set, everything can be different.

Q. Was his deep topspin shots bothering you?

TOMAS BERDYCH: Well, I mean, it's really tough shot, and ‑‑ to play, I mean, that's his style of the game. I mean, you have to take it like all together. It's not just about the spin or something like that.
Yeah, I mean, he's a great player. He's using his weapons and it works.

Q. Could you feel him stepping it up? He won the last 12 points and he made no unforced errors in the second set. Did you feel him raise his game, or do you think it was more you?

TOMAS BERDYCH: I think it was both things together. Like I said, it was like my battery's gone. It's really too long to stay here in the States. I mean, for these two tournaments, it's really long and ‑‑ well, it's maybe not the right way, but it's all right.
So, yeah, I have to just get more ready for it and be more like better conditions and then maybe it's not going to happen in the second set.

Q. He had never beat you on hard court before. How much of a better hard court player is he now than maybe even a year or two ago?
TOMAS BERDYCH: Well, I think he starts to play more aggressively on the hard court, and I think that's why it's changing.
Yeah, he can lose like maybe more matches on the hard, but I think his game is different because he's trying more attack the ball, playing more aggressively and then of course you going to start to make more unforced errors.
But then if you are just standing like two meters behind the baseline and trying to just put the ball in, then if me or let's say James Blake a going to play with him, then the match is not going to be that tough for us and we can beat him I think every single game.
But now when he starts to play more aggressive, he can make more winners and a little more unforced errors, but I think that's what tennis is about.

Q. Were you surprised that Rafa challenged that ball in the tiebreak? It was a very big point, and he just stopped playing. Was that a surprise to you that he would take that risk?

TOMAS BERDYCH: Well, I mean ‑‑ it was on his side. He was like one meter from the ball. So if you see the ball, or I think most of the players will do the same, because, I mean, you can feel the ball. You can see the ball. You are just one meter from the ball.
When he was 100% sure that he saw it out, I mean, why not? If it's going to be other way and I'm going to be in his position, I would do the same.

wildegirl05
04-04-2008, 09:53 PM
:yippee::yippee::yippee: never been happier to lose a tournament than the MIT :D

raven gypsy
04-05-2008, 01:08 AM
Thanks for posting that interview.
Just adorable.

I think that the long hair is growing on me :)

Aenea
04-05-2008, 11:12 AM
Come on!!! One more match and he'll be biting the trophy!!!:D:D:D

VAMOS RAFA!!:D
One more match wouldn't be enough, nashty, but one more win here might do the job. :D

:lol: That's ok, no need to stand in the corner. :hug:
Thank you :hug: I don't think I could handle one more stabbing from another fellow Rafafan

:haha: :haha: :haha:

:sobbing:
I already apologized to mallorn and I explained I confused her with another poster.

nashty
04-05-2008, 11:29 AM
One more match wouldn't be enough, nashty, but one more win here might do the job. :D

oh, by that I meant "one more match to win" :D can't wait to see the trophy-biting.:D I hope Rafa won't disappoint me/us.:D

Getta
04-05-2008, 07:57 PM
Sunday OoP

STADIUM

Match start at 1:00 PM
Nikolay Davydenko vs. Rafael Nadal

tangerine_dream
04-05-2008, 08:00 PM
I smell a Rafa-Andy blockbuster. :drool:
My olfactory senses must be broken the only thing I smelled was Andy stinking up the court again. :mad:

Bamos Rafa, win the title, and then you can move into the clay season with your confidence 100% restored. :D

Metis
04-05-2008, 08:44 PM
My olfactory senses must be broken the only thing I smelled was Andy stinking up the court again. :mad:

Bamos Rafa, win the title, and then you can move into the clay season with your confidence 100% restored. :D

tangy :hug: At least Andy beat Federer :D; nobody can take that away from him.

Well now you won't have trouble choosing who to root for tomorrow :p

hra87
04-05-2008, 10:38 PM
tangy :hug: At least Andy beat Federer :D; nobody can take that away from him.

Well now you won't have trouble choosing who to root for tomorrow :p

Andy beat MonoFed...let's see him beat JesusFed.

See, it's not difficult to take it away from him...

Getta
04-05-2008, 11:15 PM

I was thinking the same and decided not to talk openly about it. No use to hurt tangy's feelings. :shrug:

Metis
04-05-2008, 11:25 PM
The way I see it, a win is a win; I'm sure some of Roddick's defeats happened when his level was not good. Same thing for any player.

yana
04-06-2008, 11:01 AM

He beat Fed period :wavey:

GuiroNl
04-06-2008, 06:37 PM
I win :(

:haha:

I'm happy for Davydenko :)

Aenea
04-06-2008, 06:39 PM
Never gonna give you up
Never gonna let you down
Never gonna run around
And desert you

Still loving you and still your fan. Congrats for your good HC performance so far.

On to the clay season. :music:

raven gypsy
04-06-2008, 07:10 PM
GuiroNl, tangerine_dream, Xoman, nashty

Congrat to the winners of the :worship: MIT this tournament.

Rafa lost just for you :rolleyes:

MariaV
04-06-2008, 07:37 PM
So close in the MIT yet so far. Poor me. Always a loser. :sad: :tears: :sobbing:

Metis
04-06-2008, 07:42 PM
Update :(

1st – (Bye)
2nd -
3rd -
4th – Xristos, l_mac

Congrats to the winners of this tournament: GuiroNl, tangerine_dream, Xoman, nashty :aparty:

:mad: :lol:

Metis
04-06-2008, 08:06 PM
Current standings in the Metis Invitational Trophy competition after IW and Miami are as follows:

cmurray _________ 100
raven_gypsy______ 100
MariaV___________100
Tnn74 ___________100
GuiroNl__________ 100
tangerine_dream___100
Xoman___________100
nashty___________100

Next tournament: Monte Carlo; I'm not sure this competition will have any meaning during the clay season if things go like last year :shrug:. Then again many people are predicting Rafa will be losing right and left :sad: so, no worries. :dance: :lol:

hra87
04-06-2008, 09:25 PM
^How do the points work?

It's very funny that everyone was sooo surprised that Davydenko won. People were calling him Nadal's Pidgeon. I mean, Nadal only beat him twice before, once on clay, and both matches were very close (actually, Davydenko was outplaying him in both). Davy has the type of game that Nadal hates...

On to clay!

Metis
04-06-2008, 09:30 PM
^How do the points work?

It's very funny that everyone was sooo surprised that Davydenko won. People were calling him Nadal's Pidgeon. I mean, Nadal only beat him twice before, once on clay, and both matches were very close (actually, Davydenko was outplaying him in both). Davy has the type of game that Nadal hates...

It's true what you are saying; the reason people are surprised is also because in close matches against the top players Davydenko had the tendency to choke. Not this time though...

Rules of the MIT Competition: :)

FluffyYellowBall
04-06-2008, 11:09 PM
What was surprising is that the match wasnt even close :( If it was,, Davydenkos choking would have been more evident

Xoman
04-07-2008, 12:38 AM
I feel sad that I have won this MIT guessing for this tournament. I would had preferred to get it wrong (meaning Nadal winning). Anyway I have watched the final and Davydenko played very good while Nadal didn't seem to be there. So congrats to Davydenko.
It is a pity that Nadal has not been able to reach the career high of >6000 (6080) today. We will have to wait a bit longer for that to happen. At the end of Hamburg Masters perhaps?

hra87
04-07-2008, 01:07 AM
I feel sad that I have won this MIT guessing for this tournament. I would had preferred to get it wrong (meaning Nadal winning). Anyway I have watched the final and Davydenko played very good while Nadal didn't seem to be there. So congrats to Davydenko.
It is a pity that Nadal has not been able to reach the career high of >6000 (6080) today. We will have to wait a bit longer for that to happen. At the end of Hamburg Masters perhaps?

That would require Rafa winning 20 matches in 28 days. That would have to be a record, right?

Won't happen :sad:

Metis
04-07-2008, 01:38 AM

Well at least you won something :ras:. Think of the rest of us; we are losers like Rafa :lol:.

nashty
04-07-2008, 02:00 AM
I won but I'm still disappointed. Rafa, oh Rafa... Well, at least we're on to clay now.

Mimi
04-07-2008, 02:06 AM
:bigcry::bigcry::sobbing::hysteric::crying2:stay awoke till 1 am to watch the final, only to see my poor rafa got slaughtered, when will he ever win a title :tears:

StevoTG
04-07-2008, 02:26 AM
:bigcry::bigcry::sobbing::hysteric::crying2:still awake till 1 am to watch the final, only to see my poor rafa got slaugthered, when will he evfer win a title :tears:

Soon enough ;):)

nashty
04-07-2008, 03:26 AM
:bigcry::bigcry::sobbing::hysteric::crying2:still awake till 1 am to watch the final, only to see my poor rafa got slaugthered, when will he evfer win a title :tears:

same here. I didn't notice that we're on the same region til now. I also had to stay up to watch that final at 1am, only to go to bed really really disappointed. :( I didn't even finish it.

Well, good thing clay's up next.:D

Mimi
04-07-2008, 03:30 AM
yeah, why couldn't he return davy's servce which is weaker than Berdych? :sad::confused:
same here. I didn't notice that we're on the same region til now. I also had to stay up to watch that final at 1am, only to go to bed really really disappointed. :( I didn't even finish it.

Well, good thing clay's up next.:D

MariaV
04-07-2008, 06:44 AM
N. DAVYDENKO/R. Nadal
6‑4, 6‑2

An interview with:

RAFAEL NADAL

Q. Has Nikolay improved since you last played him? Does he do anything differently now?

Q. Has Nikolay improved since you last played him? Does he do anything differently?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, I don't think so, no? He's always a big player, no? No. 4 in the world, No. 3, No. 5, since three years, no? He's a big player.

Q. Were you surprised at just how aggressive Nikolay was today? He seemed to be standing very close to the baseline, taking a lot of balls on the rise, taking a lot of time away from you. Were you surprised by his aggression today?
RAFAEL NADAL: No. I think he play a good level. He played good match, but I didn't play well today. So when you don't play at 100% at this level against top players, it's tough win, especially on hard surface. So I congratulate him more because he play better than me.
I played very good tournament. I won against very good players. I played at my best level against Berdych, against Blake, against Mathieu. So for that reason I beat against these top players. Today I didn't play my best. He play well and I lose.

Q. Were you 100% fit physically? Are you feeling well?
RAFAEL NADAL: I feel perfect. I feel good. I didn't have any problems, so just today I ‑‑ I didn't found my rhythm on court, so it was tough since the beginning. I can't ‑‑ against wind was impossible for me to win on my serve. If I win serves against wind is impossible to win the match.

Q. Especially your forehand today?
RAFAEL NADAL: My forehand?

Q. Yeah.
RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know outside court, but inside the court I think is the backhand, not the forehand. Could someone please explain me what is Rafa talking about - outside/inside the court? :o :o

Q. Do you think that Nikolay is sort of the guy that at least here we don't hear that much about? You know, everyone writes about you and Roger and Andy. Do you think he's kind of the forgotten guy in the top 5? People don't give him enough credit?
RAFAEL NADAL: I don't think so, no. He's ‑‑ well, he's a different kind of player, for sure. He's ‑‑ he's a big player, but the people and you, you like to write more about Roger, about me, about Djokovic, about Roddick.
But one player can't be three years in Masters Series or this year going to be the fourth without being a very, very good player.
So the people outside tennis can think different, can think about different way about Nikolay, but we know he's a very, very good player.

Q. What are the things that make him different, and what makes him particularly difficult to play?
RAFAEL NADAL: I say before, I think he didn't do nothing different. He start play much better. He played very good level. I didn't play good match. That's it.
Sometimes we all have to think more than the match, so the match was ‑‑ I didn't play well. He play very well, especially after 3‑3, because in the beginning I think he wasn't play very good, too. But, anyway, I didn't play well, too.
So later he start ‑‑ he come back, and in one moment of the match, in the 3‑All, I have one break point, important point. I didn't win this point. I have one mistake with the forehand. After this point he start playing match much better.
It was a big change because he was doing some mistakes. I was doing the same mistakes, too, but at this moment he changed a lot in the match. He start playing much better and was big change for me, no?
And I didn't found a way. I didn't see the way for ‑‑ for try to change the match, no? You're right about that Rafa

Q. I know it's very soon after the match for you, but would you be able to turn your mind to thinking about the clay court season, which is about to begin, and a few thoughts about the part of the season you like best?
RAFAEL NADAL: Right now I have Davis Cup, so I don't think about ‑‑ I think about Davis Cup now. It's important competition for us. Later I sure I'm going to think on clay season, but right now this is the tournament going to give me, I think, positive feeling for the clay season, no?
I play very good tournament against very good players, regularly in final, semifinal, semifinal. That's always positive. When you are there every week finally you going to win. I think this.
So for sure it's tough. I was playing very, very good tennis, but at the same time, I have to be happy about myself, about the last weeks, because I improve a lot my level, tennis level, and I was there all the time.
I think soon I going to win a title, no? I hope so. I hope so in Monte‑Carlo. Oh we hope so too Rafa :o :o

Q. You said that he didn't change his style, but is there something about his style that didn't allow you to get into your rhythm, or was it just one of those days for you?
RAFAEL NADAL: I say it three times. I didn't feel my rhythm on court, so I play bad game today. It's difficult to say more things. I said before ‑‑ he play better than me. For that reason he beat me. He play more aggressive, with more good feelings, forehand, backhand volley, dropshot.
I can't win against player doing everything better than me today. Today, I didn't play my tennis.

Q. The fact that they've switched to a two‑out‑of‑three format, seems like it would be a particular disadvantage to a player like yourself. I wonder how you and others feel about the switch from three‑out‑of‑five to two‑out‑of‑three in the scoring.
RAFAEL NADAL: I think it's a positive change for the players, because we have the calendar very tight, very tough all the time, a lot of straight weeks and tough for us to play final with five sets.
But the intention of tennis is five sets. Big matches ‑‑ I remember some of the big matches, I know I played big matches, if I played big matches, was always five sets.
At the same time, it is disappointing for me.

Q. With the results of tournaments at that start of this year, do you see the men's side being wide open right now as far as who's going to become the dominant player?
RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know. You know, we have only three months already on the season. Roger have lose more than usually, but it wasn't due to bad results. He's not far away about his level.
Djokovic is unbelievable, but at the same time, I am not so far away than Djokovic, too. Play very good start of the season. My goal was have 1,000 points after Miami. I say before the season my goal is have 1,000 points in Miami and I will have, I don't know, 1,200, 1,250, something like this.
I improve my goal. Last year I have in this moment, this tournament, when I finish winning the Indian Wells I have 1025 points. I improve. It's a lot of points on three months, so happy for that. Always so positive in public finding positive sides

http://www.sonyericssonopen.com/content/20080406170633.html

Xoman
04-07-2008, 06:53 AM
That would require Rafa winning 20 matches in 28 days. That would have to be a record, right?

Won't happen :sad:

:eek:

yeap, I was just looking at the calendar and you are right. It is unfair on Nadal this "packing" of the clay season as a results of the Olympics. He has to defend 1650 points tally in just 28 days. Tough, very tough.
I am afraid for Nadal. And mad at the ATP calendar organizers :(
Perhaps, Nadal ought to consider withdrawing from Barcelona?

However, let's think positive! It might just turn out well and help Nadal shorten Federer's lead. Who knows it may affect Federer more than it does to Nadal. ;)

Foxy
04-07-2008, 07:43 AM
Tough loss. This match reminded me a little about the loss to Nalby in Paris final with the difference he didn't get bageled... Nothing was working. No serve, no forehand, no backhand. Strange. The guy who should have been tired mentally and physically is Davydenko not Nadal.

I hope I am totally wrong but I am a little concerned about the clay season. This Davydenko along with Nalby and even Djoko and probably Ferrer could be a real pain in the ass more than ever these months.

Mimi
04-07-2008, 08:03 AM
in my opinion, rafa played not good, but not that bad, just that davy played brillantly :worship:
Tough loss. This match reminded me a little about the loss to Nalby in Paris final with the difference he didn't get bageled... Nothing was working. No serve, no forehand, no backhand. Strange. The guy who should have been tired mentally and physically is Davydenko not Nadal.

I hope I am totally wrong but I am a little concerned about the clay season. This Davydenko along with Nalby and even Djoko and probably Ferrer could be a real pain in the ass more than ever these months.

MariaV
04-07-2008, 08:09 AM
Well girls and boys, it's good that Rafa still sounds positive and he was playing well indeed until the final. :( So I really don't like him losing all the finals, not playing his best - this doesn't bode well for clay. :( Plus he is going to be tired. I hope I'm wrong and he'll be amazing on clay again.

Mimi
04-07-2008, 08:13 AM
:hug::smooch: may be it was davy who did not allow rafa to play good? sorry as i am no tennis expert, i may be wrong, but i think may be even the mighty roger could not beat davy yesterday :confused:, so don't blame our poor little boy, he is already very poor :bigcry::nerner:
Well girls and boys, it's good that Rafa still sounds positive and he was playing well indeed until the final. :( So I really don't like him losing all the finals, not playing his best - this doesn't bode well for clay. :( Plus he is going to be tired. I hope I'm wrong and he'll be amazing on clay again.

The Pro
04-07-2008, 08:49 AM
We're in the clay season, so i think rafa will pull out all the stops and manage it. But then I thought he'd win the final for sure....