Fed bagel watch: Or how TF tries to make this Slam interesting.... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Fed bagel watch: Or how TF tries to make this Slam interesting....

Tennis Fool
06-24-2004, 07:23 PM
I've taken it for granted before this Slam even started that Federer was going to win his 3rd Slam in a year. He's full of confidence, has the gifts, and his first two matches have been walk throughs.

Everyone else is going to be fighting for a semi-final or runner-up spot.

So, how to make the inevitable seem interesting? Well, let's count how quickly the Fed doles out the bagels.

So far...2 in 2 matches. Both in the 3rd set, meaning that his opponents have tired out quickly.

Round 1: Alex Bogdanovic GBR, 20, Rank #295, WC, left-hander 6 3 6 3 6 0
Round 2: Alejandro Falla COL, 21, Rank #134, Qualifier 6 1 6 2 6 0
Qtrs: Lleyton Hewitt AUS #7 seed, 23 Rank#10 6/1 6/7(4) 6/0 6/4

Eggy is not around, nor Sjengster, but anyone know the record for bagels in a Slam tournament?

Shy
06-24-2004, 07:25 PM
Poor qualifiers ,especially the last one who match was only 54 min.:hug:

jmp
06-24-2004, 09:04 PM
:wavey: Hi, Tennis Fool.

I don't have your stats. But, I must agree that this major isn't doing it for me, yet. That's not usually the case with me. I'm always happy to see tennis on the tube.

Unlike you, I'm not ready to crown Roger. But, his domination has been beautiful to watch in the first two rounds.

I'm happy for Moya, Coria, and Ferrero's early wins. Henman and Goran are good side stories, too.

Sprem/Williams has been the most competitive and highest quality so far for me. I really enjoyed it. I wanted both of them to win for different reasons.

Any thoughts?

LCeh
06-24-2004, 09:06 PM
Scary stats: Alejandro Falla won 34 points in 3 sets, 5 points in the third.

I don't know, but I doubt Roger would hand out any more bagels now, since the opponents are a lot tougher.

ERohr
06-24-2004, 09:37 PM
There are probably a lot of other bagel-records, but in last year's French Open Flavio Saretta put 3 bagels in his first 2 matches, and against A. Martin and Kafelnikov, players much more stronger then Bogdanovic and Falla. :)

Tennis Fool
06-24-2004, 09:41 PM
Hi JMP :wavey:

I don't have cable so rely on the highlight reels on the evening news until the weekend NBC coverage. I didn't see the Venus match, but really feel bad for Venus going out so early in these Slams, especially on arguably her best surface. This is the time I really miss Monica :sad: She'd show these upstarts how its done. I do like seeing the new faces though. Although the all-Russian final was a blowout at the French, its good to see new faces on the WTA side.

The only issues I have are in not seeing the ATP "up and comers" because they can't seem to get it together at Slams (i.e. Fish and Gasquet, for example). This has an upside as I will probably get to see them in the early rounds of the US Open, which I try to attend every year.

BTW, Fed owns his next opponent Thomas J. 5-0.

:wavey: Hi, Tennis Fool.

I don't have your stats. But, I must agree that this major isn't doing it for me, yet. That's not usually the case with me. I'm always happy to see tennis on the tube.

Unlike you, I'm not ready to crown Roger. But, his domination has been beautiful to watch in the first two rounds.

I'm happy for Moya, Coria, and Ferrero's early wins. Henman and Goran are good side stories, too.

Sprem/Williams has been the most competitive and highest quality so far for me. I really enjoyed it. I wanted both of them to win for different reasons.

Any thoughts?

pinky
06-24-2004, 09:42 PM
There are probably a lot of other bagel-records, but in last year's French Open Flavio Saretta put 3 bagels in his first 2 matches, and against A. Martin and Kafelnikov, players much more stronger then Bogdanovic and Falla. :)

Bagels are quite more common on clay than they are on grass ;)

Sjengster
06-24-2004, 10:02 PM
It's incredibly presumptuous to suggest that Federer already has this Slam in the bag when we haven't even completed two rounds yet. I can virtually guarantee that the bagels will stop here, not just because he's playing better quality opposition but because they all have big serves - Johansson, Lopez/Karlovic, Ivanisevic, Moya, even to a certain extent Hewitt (who is certainly not going to get bagelled by Federer on grass)

Havok
06-24-2004, 10:06 PM
Who knows how many he will get. But those last 2 opponents just suck hard so him bageling them was kinda expected

jeanie_sin
06-25-2004, 03:08 AM
federer's good, but look at his opponents!
bogdanovic---ranked 295, havent been moving up the rankings
falla---sory, but i havent even heard of this guy before

johansson should be the gauge. if federer had gotten, ay, hewitt's 1st 2 round opponents, his scorelines might have been different!

Fedex
06-25-2004, 05:48 AM
It's incredibly presumptuous to suggest that Federer already has this Slam in the bag when we haven't even completed two rounds yet. I can virtually guarantee that the bagels will stop here, not just because he's playing better quality opposition but because they all have big serves - Johansson, Lopez/Karlovic, Ivanisevic, Moya, even to a certain extent Hewitt (who is certainly not going to get bagelled by Federer on grass)
Well Fed DID bagel Hewitt on rebound ace, which IS Hewitt's best surface, an in Australia, so i think he could, if he puts his mind to it. But perhaps he dosnt want to embarass him that badly, like at Hamburg, which saw Federer only lose 4 games. He wont bagel any of the big servers, but i think he could bagel Hewitt, if he works very hard at it, because Hewitt dosnt have a very good serve. I predict he'll give a couple more in the tournement, but no more. Plenty of breadsticks for him to give out, no??

WyveN
06-25-2004, 05:57 AM
no more bagels for roger unless he meets hewitt

Lalitha
06-25-2004, 11:01 AM
I know once Sergi Bruguera won a match at RG with the score of 6-0, 6-0, 6-0.

Don't know who was his opponent in that match though.

Sjengster
06-26-2004, 12:03 AM
Well Fed DID bagel Hewitt on rebound ace, which IS Hewitt's best surface, an in Australia, so i think he could, if he puts his mind to it. But perhaps he dosnt want to embarass him that badly, like at Hamburg, which saw Federer only lose 4 games. He wont bagel any of the big servers, but i think he could bagel Hewitt, if he works very hard at it, because Hewitt dosnt have a very good serve. I predict he'll give a couple more in the tournement, but no more. Plenty of breadsticks for him to give out, no??

Uh-huh... Rebound Ace suits Hewitt's game so much that the AO is his worst Slam. He may have done very well in warm-up events but he's never translated that into success at Melbourne, after the Federer loss he complained that there wasn't a standard Rebound Ace court and the one at the AO varied from others he had played on and won on. Hewitt's serve can be unreliable, but when it's on it gets him a lot of cheap points and especially on grass where the surface aids him. He's been serving very well in his last few matches, and will not be crunched in any set I think.

Yes, I'm looking forward with keen interest to the amount of breadsticks Federer will be able to administer to Lopez or Karlovic in the 4th round.

Fedex
06-26-2004, 12:29 AM
Well i can gaurentee you against Federer, he'll get virtually no cheap points, as Federer is the best returner out there, and will put several balls back in play. Rebound ace is his best surface, even if results dont exactly show that. He's said it is as well. And playing a Goran, well passed his prime days dosnt exactly count as a great win. Really any surface thats slow and the ball sits up, and isnt clay, Hewitt does his best on. But yes, he's good on grass too, but a big server is going to take him down, possibly crunch him (AKA Roddick Queens).

Sjengster
06-26-2004, 01:34 AM
Federer is a good returner and will obviously make him play a lot, but Hewitt is better at scraping many returns back into play. His best surfaces are grass and American hardcourts, you don't win Wimbledon plus Queens three times in a row and the US Open plus Indian Wells twice in a row unless you're strongest on those two surfaces.

Fedex
06-26-2004, 01:40 AM
Well, i can guarentee you, if they do play, still a big IF, Federer will hugely outace Hewitt, which is no suprise. 15-5, or even 20-5. Despite Goran having one of the best serves in history, it wasnt near as good today, as it was in his prime. Yet 15 aces flew past Hewitt, so actually i think Fed puts more returns into play now. He's much bigger, and has longer reach, due to the fact that he uses 1 hand on both strokes. So as far as a serving contest, it is none. As Moya vs. Hewitt will be. Besides, i dont think we'll see this matchup. I think Moya will take care of Hewitt in 3 or 4 sets.

Sjengster
06-26-2004, 01:43 AM
I don't think anyone's disputing that Federer is a better server than Hewitt. I'd love to see it, but I really doubt Moya is going to beat him - Hewitt won their last match on clay, after all, and from Moya's last interview he seems to be treating this tournament less seriously than any other and just having fun, which may make him more dangerous but may also lead him to crumble against top quality grass-court opposition.

WyveN
06-26-2004, 04:08 AM
Uh-huh... Rebound Ace suits Hewitt's game so much that the AO is his worst Slam. He may have done very well in warm-up events but he's never translated that into success at Melbourne

Hewitt could certainly win the AO if he got a Wimbledon 2002 type draw. Look at his Wimbledon record apart from that one year.
You may say his performance at queens shows his great grass court skills but then have a look at his tune up results in Australia - they are phenomenal.

rue
06-26-2004, 08:56 PM
I think Moya can beat Hewitt. He has been playing real well this week. Fed vs Hewitt would be interesting, but I still think Federer will pull this one off without to much trouble especially if he plays the way he has been the last two matches. No one can touch him then.

Lalitha
06-27-2004, 02:13 PM
Actually i think Moya has a winning record against Hewitt 5-4 to Moya, though they have never met on grass.

Tennis Fool
06-28-2004, 05:37 PM
Hmmmm...who would Fed rather face, his bagel bitch (Moya) or the guy he's bageled in last two matches (Hewitt)?

Well, Hewitt actually has the lead in their h2h 7-4 and the lead on grass 1-0, but that was in 2001, and Hewitt was really playing like ass against Moya.

I don't think Hewitt will be bageled on grass, but will go on in straights.

LCeh
06-30-2004, 07:34 PM
3rd bagel to Hewitt.

Tennis Fool
06-30-2004, 07:36 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, I just had to smile rereading this.

For as you know, well...currently

Federer leads Hewitt 6/1 6/7 (drumroll please) 6/0

On Grass. At Wimbledon.

Tennis Fool
06-30-2004, 08:15 PM
Fed wins 6/1 6/7(1) 6/0 6/4

Hewitt has the suspect stat of being bageled by Fed three straight times.

Time to update the first page :)

Auscon
06-30-2004, 08:25 PM
Fed wins 6/1 6/7(1) 6/0 6/4

Hewitt has the suspect stat of being bageled by Fed three straight times.

Time to update the first page :)

its a bad trend...

Lleytons a tough guy mentally, but I dont care how tough you are...losing a set 6-0 has got to bring you down

Which is why this match was so unbelievably strange...Lleyton comes off a 6-0 belting, and then plays a fantastic fourth set

ofcourse, only to blow it with some untimely unforced errors

Doris Loeffel
06-30-2004, 08:37 PM
Well I never would have thought Roger would bagel Lleyton on grass. Escpecially not after having lost that second set (the first set he lost on gras for a long time).
Even thoug Lleyton lost he still was able to break some of Rogers records as for loosing a set and as for loosing his serve...
...still glad Roger made it to the semis it's been a thougher match than the result may show it.

Auscon
06-30-2004, 08:44 PM
Well I never would have thought Roger would bagel Lleyton on grass.

It took some really bad play on Lleytons part to do it :)

this match has gutted me....and being gutted at almost 4am sucks

night all!

undomiele
06-30-2004, 08:54 PM
Well at least Hewitt broke Feds record of not having lost a set in the tourny. Watch out for Ancic Feds. ;)

WyveN
06-30-2004, 08:55 PM
I know this match was pretty close and with some luck for Hewitt could have possibly gone to the 5th but Federer now has a huge advantage over Hewitt.
This year he has beaten him on 3 different surfaces, giving him a bagel in each match.

Tennis Fool
06-30-2004, 08:58 PM
Well I never would have thought Roger would bagel Lleyton on grass. Escpecially not after having lost that second set (the first set he lost on gras for a long time).
Even thoug Lleyton lost he still was able to break some of Rogers records as for loosing a set and as for loosing his serve...
...still glad Roger made it to the semis it's been a thougher match than the result may show it.
Hi Doris :wavey:

Haven't seen you around in quite a while.

Doris Loeffel
06-30-2004, 09:07 PM
Well just made it back home from my trip with the transmongolian right in time to follow wimby ;) And I love it so far ;)
Would be around more often but still lacking a PC at my place - at the moment I'm using my neigbours PC...

back to the subject guess that was the last bagel Roger was able to make here at Wimby unless he unpacks his magical raquet again against Seb

RogiFan88
06-30-2004, 10:36 PM
did Rogi bagel Lleyt on hardcourt, clay AND grass this year?? if so, then he has to complete the cycle and do it on indoor as well... like hitting for the cycle!

RogiFan88
06-30-2004, 10:39 PM
yep, Mario is finally showing what he's made of... but can he get past Pandy??

BaselineSmash
07-02-2004, 05:11 PM
I hope Roger mixes up his bagels with some donuts. And is he a plain or cinammon and raisin kind of guy.