Safin says he's sorry [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Safin says he's sorry

Tfanatic
06-23-2004, 11:32 PM
By JOHN PYE, AP Sports Writer
June 23, 2004

WIMBLEDON, England (AP) -- Marat Safin wants everyone to know he's sorry.

A day after saying he gave up during a first-round loss at Wimbledon and was through trying to succeed at the tournament, Safin issued a statement through the ATP on Wednesday backing off those statements.

``I would like to apologize for my unfortunate remarks following my loss on Tuesday. I was very frustrated about my early exit and that despite my serious preparations and my early arrival to London, I was unable to perform the way I wanted,'' Safin said.

`I know I said things that deep inside I never meant, as I really appreciate the importance of this event.''

The 2000 U.S. Open champion was beaten by fellow Russian Dmitry Tursunov 4-6, 7-5, 6-3, 7-6 (1). Safin watched shots fly past during the final points of his first opening-round defeat at a major since the 2000 Australian Open.

Safin cursed at the chair umpire, muttered to himself, smashed rackets and spat.

``I don't like to play on this surface. I cannot move there. Every time, I don't know how it's going to bounce. It's really a nightmare for me,'' Safin said Tuesday. ``After a while, I get bored. I lost completely motivation, and I give up.''

Talking about his difficulties on grass, Safin added, ``I cannot adjust to this. You have to be really focused in your mind, but this is not my territory.''

On Wednesday, he changed his tune.

``I want to assure you all that I will be back in the coming years,'' his statement said. ``I will show my fans that I keep trying and don't give up so quickly. Tennis is my life and passion, and my poor record on grass won't stop this. See you next year.''

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=ap-wimbledon-notebook&prov=ap&type=lgns

Neely
06-23-2004, 11:35 PM
``I want to assure you all that I will be back in the coming years,'' his statement said. ``I will show my fans that I keep trying and don't give up so quickly. Tennis is my life and passion, and my poor record on grass won't stop this. See you next year.''
good words, Marat!!

all your fans know that you are sorry about that and that you are not a bad person at all :hug: :bigclap:

Deboogle!.
06-23-2004, 11:43 PM
:rolleyes: time for a sports psychologist for maratski, methinks

Shy
06-23-2004, 11:58 PM
:rolleyes: time for a sports psychologist for maratski, methinks
me too. Roger went to a sport psychologist, and it did help him .Gaudio went to one, and he end up winning RG.

ys
06-24-2004, 12:00 AM
Sport psychologist. Or rather sport psychiatrist, if something like that exists..

CarnivalCarnage
06-24-2004, 12:34 AM
Sport psychologist. Or rather sport psychiatrist, if something like that exists..

I don't think it does. ;)

Anybody who didn't think Marat's comments were made in the heat of the moment is dumb. Of course he wasn't going to quit Wimbledon.

LCeh
06-24-2004, 12:58 AM
I am glad to hear that Safin hasn't given up. Or else he should consider giving up tennis as well.

Havok
06-24-2004, 01:09 AM
I think the very first words blurted out of Marat's mouth were the most honest ones. And he should learn how to control his temper after loses and after he doesn't try/gets frustrated in matches. Good that he appologized, but this whole thing could have been averted.

Seraphim
06-24-2004, 01:19 AM
"I know I said things that deep inside I never meant, as I really appreciate the importance of this event.''

hmm, doesn't sound like broken "safin" english to me!

tangerine_dream
06-24-2004, 01:24 AM
Too late. He will still be sent to bed without supper. http://forums.usodja.com/images/smilies/spanka.gif

SanTaureau Fan
06-24-2004, 01:25 AM
"I know I said things that deep inside I never meant, as I really appreciate the importance of this event.''

hmm, doesn't sound like broken "safin" english to me!

Wait, you're telling us maybe it's not Safin who wrote the statement he issued through the ATP... I'm shocked!

Corey Feldman
06-24-2004, 01:39 AM
unbelievably childish safin, he'll never change

1st he was gonna miss RG, didnt....give up wimbledon, now he'll be back for many years to come...what a true brat, far to much talent and not enuff brains , he's like a spoilt kid who doesnt like any one else winning if he cant :lol:

marat you big tosser lol

J. Corwin
06-24-2004, 01:40 AM
I certainly hope this is an honest recant of his previous statements, and not just to abet fans and the public.

¿esquímaux?
06-24-2004, 02:00 AM
Awww :hug: You're still the only manly moscovite for me ya big oaf :kiss:

Tennis Fool
06-24-2004, 02:27 AM
The British commentators mentioned Safin needed a sports psychologist at the AO earlier this year. They then laughed and said "the psychologist would come worse off."

rue
06-24-2004, 04:14 AM
It is nice to hear him say this. He could have just gone home and not done it but he had the guts to write an apology and I am sure he will try harder especially when he is frustrated on court.

Smankyou
06-24-2004, 04:28 AM
They should slap a fine on his ass.

gina_
06-24-2004, 09:23 AM
I see he's calmer now. I didn't really take any offence at what he said, he made himself look like sucha weakling. So, he should clear up the mess by playing with a better attitude the next time.

maratski
06-24-2004, 09:34 AM
So his management made him apologise, sounds wise. As someone mentioned before it doesn't sound like "Safin English" to me either, but he did what had to be done. Whether he meant it or not, I'm happy he did it anyway.

Marine
06-24-2004, 10:25 AM
It's politically correct, but not sincere.

Vass
06-24-2004, 10:43 AM

Thank God! Even he realized how foolish he was! :wavey: Well done issuuing a separate statement Marat! :cool: And he's speaking about the fans! :worship:

Vass
06-24-2004, 10:47 AM
So his management made him apologise, sounds wise. As someone mentioned before it doesn't sound like "Safin English" to me either, but he did what had to be done. Whether he meant it or not, I'm happy he did it anyway.
Me thinks it might be Lungren of pressure from ATP. But i doubt the latter. I realy hope that it was Peter who talked to him and started working...

BelgianWaffle
06-24-2004, 12:14 PM
I agree with Vass. It sounds as if somebody wrote this statement and handed it over to Marat.
He's probably sorry he said those things but it would've been nicer if he apologised in his own words. :rolleyes:

Lucie
06-24-2004, 12:26 PM
even if safin didn't write this (and it's pretty obvious he didn't) it was still the right thing to do. so whoever told him to do it (and wrote it!!) - well done!

YoursTruly
06-24-2004, 01:03 PM
I'm sorry but he's totally hogging the tournament press this year!

MissPovaFan
06-24-2004, 01:21 PM
Keeping on the Safin theme - his sister Dinara Safina has also lost 0-6 0-2 retired. Unsure of what the problem for Dinara was. But it does mean that Juan Carlos Ferrero will now take the court.

fco253
06-24-2004, 01:35 PM
Marat is not bad, seems to be a good guy, he is just a child... it's not smart from anybody to take seriously what a child says while he is angry...

Why the need of always jumping on him? Let him be in peace

Space Cowgirl
06-24-2004, 01:56 PM
Hmmph, seems more to me like Safin changed his tune in case he got fined by the ATP for lack of effort.

alfonsojose
06-24-2004, 02:07 PM
:rolleyes: He never should have said that Ferrero's year is over. I hope "Mosquito" proves him wrong and make him eat his words

star
06-24-2004, 02:10 PM
Vamos Juanqui!!

:bounce:

gillian
06-24-2004, 02:10 PM
Love Marat, but boy did he come off as a petulant brat in his press conference on Tuesday.

On Wednesday, he changed his tune.

For everyone's sake, I hope this is true. IMO, Marat is a real asset to the game, particularly when he's giving his best effort.

Shy
06-24-2004, 02:11 PM
Marat is not bad, seems to be a good guy, he is just a child... it's not smart from anybody to take seriously what a child says while he is angry...

He is 24. He is not a child anymore. So, he need to act like that.I want him to be honest, but he needs to have a better attitude on and off court if he wants to win.

fco253
06-24-2004, 02:40 PM
I think he will continue to be one.

Some people grow later, and some never mature.

Gonzo Hates Me!
06-24-2004, 02:50 PM
I like the fact that Safin is a badass. Please, never stop being the interesting person that you are Marat. And I didn't know his quotes yesterday were that horrible that a public apology had to be issued. LoL, I have to go read them now

CooCooCachoo
06-24-2004, 04:12 PM
Too late. He will still be sent to bed without supper.

:lol:

BelgianWaffle
06-24-2004, 05:43 PM
:rolleyes: He never should have said that Ferrero's year is over. I hope "Mosquito" proves him wrong and make him eat his words

Yep that was actually a pretty lame remark. Hope JCF wasn't offended by it.