Marat escapes fine for tanking [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Marat escapes fine for tanking

Tennis Fool
06-23-2004, 05:06 PM
Wimbledon-Safin escapes fine for 'tanking'
Wed 23 June, 2004 17:07

LONDON, June 23 (Reuters) - Russia's Marat Safin has escaped a fine despite saying he gave up during his Wimbledon first-round defeat at the hands of compatriot Dmitry Tursunov.

"After a while I just got bored. I lost completely motivation and I give up," the tempestuous Russian said after his 4-6 7-5 6-3 7-6 defeat on Tuesday.

Safin made tennis history the ignominious way at the 2000 Australian Open by becoming the first player ever to be fined for tanking, or not trying, at a grand slam tournament.

The then 19-year-old Moscovite was fined $2,000 by the International Tennis Federation (ITF)'s Grand Slam Committee.

A spokesman for the ITF said on Wednesday: "He hasn't been fined. He's an emotional guy."

I guess Andy isn't the only lucky duck :o

Lucie
06-23-2004, 05:08 PM
A spokesman for the ITF said on Wednesday: "He hasn't been fined. He's an emotional guy."

lol

Neely
06-23-2004, 05:13 PM
well, why should you fine him for this? He just said the truth and at least he made the scoreline look close ;)

that's total crap fining players for something like that... :tape:

tangerine_dream
06-23-2004, 05:14 PM

:lol: Marat's flakiness is too well-known and excused now. Lucky him.

I guess Andy isn't the only lucky duck :o

Andy's never deliberately tanked a match. :p

Tennis Fool
06-23-2004, 05:17 PM
Andy's never deliberately tanked a match. :p

No, I didn't mean Andy ever tanked, but we know Andy as a player who seemingly has luck on his side at times. Just meant Safin was lucky not to get fined.

Tennis Fool
06-23-2004, 05:19 PM
well, why should you fine him for this? He just said the truth and at least he made the scoreline look close ;)

that's total crap fining players for something like that... :tape:

Marat is by far my favorite player, but I would have fined him a good sum. No one should pay good money to see a match only to have one player show up on the court.

Havok
06-23-2004, 05:49 PM
Marat= :retard::baby: K.

Iza
06-23-2004, 07:35 PM
I think Marat is either drunk either high on crack. Why the hell is he still playing tennis if doesn't feel like to? If I were one of those who payed good money to see him play and he proved to be a massive joke I'd hate him. And instead of doing this it would've been kinder to let another player who is willing to COMPETE in the draw.

However, I don't hate him and he's still one of my faves. He's more like an artist rather than a pro. Actually, by doing this he proved he's not a true pro. But I repsect his honesty. I guess that is why I like him.

Neely
06-23-2004, 11:38 PM
Marat is by far my favorite player, but I would have fined him a good sum. No one should pay good money to see a match only to have one player show up on the court.
Well, actually Marat did much more than just "showing up on the court".

I'd rather see such a match Marat played than a Halle final for 50€ when Federer wins 6-0 6-0 in 45 minutes. (okay, I exaggerated a bit with this statement, but it was not that much difference, neither in the scoreline, nor in the match duration).

PennyThePenguin
06-24-2004, 12:15 AM
Well, actually Marat did much more than just "showing up on the court".

I'd rather see such a match Marat played than a Halle final for 50€ when Federer wins 6-0 6-0 in 45 minutes. (okay, I exaggerated a bit with this statement, but it was not that much difference, neither in the scoreline, nor in the match duration).

:lol:

maratski
06-24-2004, 08:38 AM

I agree.

I've seen Marat play live twice and although he lost both matches, I enjoyed seeing him. He didn't tank those matches, but if I were to find out such a thing after the match, I'd kill him.

Aurora
06-24-2004, 08:57 AM

Did you see the match? He tried, gave up, picked himself up and tried again a dozen times in the last set. He tanked right at the very end, but elsewhere in the set (I only saw the first two and the last set) he was playing tennis, his head kinda gave up, but blatantly tanking? only in the last game and the TB. I'm indifferent towards the fining 'cause I can understand both sides, but he "kinda" showed up to play some tennis, but really fighting? no.

budikovac
06-24-2004, 09:13 AM
I think Marat is either drunk either high on crack.
probably both! :cuckoo:

Why the hell is he still playing tennis if doesn't feel like to?
$$$$$ (I still think he likes playing, at least sometimes but still...) $$$$$ :angel:

Vass
06-24-2004, 09:29 AM
$$$$$ (I still think he likes playing, at least sometimes but still...) $$$$$ :angel:
Not all money. Money would have made him work harder if he wanted it that bad... For him tennis is all work though. 100%. He doesn't want to play it and takes regular. vocations. Whenever he feels that he needs to put some extra money in the bank for another vocation he plays well... I'm just worried that when he's on vocation he doesn't practice and when he doesn't practice it'll be harder for him to come and play tennis when he feels like it.

budikovac
06-24-2004, 09:42 AM
I was just joking, players like Safin have enough money, It's a challenge he needs (wants)!
Coria sad it best: "money is no longer motivation, it's a distraction"! :scratch: