Part of Coria FO Press Conference on ESPN this morning [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Part of Coria FO Press Conference on ESPN this morning

tennyfan
06-23-2004, 12:20 PM
I was just watching Wake Up Wimbledon on ESPN. They had a short segment on Guille, and during this segment they showed Guille crying at the French Open press conference. Since there will surely be many rain delays today, they may reshow the segment. Just a heads up for those who have been wanting to see it.

Guille's Girl
06-23-2004, 01:09 PM
I was just watching Wake Up Wimbledon on ESPN. They had a short segment on Guille, and during this segment they showed Guille crying at the French Open press conference. Since there will surely be many rain delays today, they may reshow the segment. Just a heads up for those who have been wanting to see it.

I saw it. I don't know where you live Tenny, but it was 6 a.m. over here. Glad I got up. Anyway, :sad: :sad: I was sad again. I hope he can finally finish his match today.

By the way, did you notice before he started crying he said "Excuse me" in English? :)

tennyfan
06-23-2004, 01:14 PM
Did he say excuse me? Or "Wait". I know alot of people say Guille doesn't speak any English, but he really seems to understand 90% of the questions in press conferences so I can't imagine that he *can't* speak English. I think he *can* but he choses not to because he can express himself in press conferences so much better if he does it in his native language. I also think he's a perfectionist and also a bit shy and he's just more comfortable not speaking it unless he has to.

Guille's Girl
06-23-2004, 01:32 PM
He can speak English, but like you said, he's not comfortable speaking it. Anyway, we seem to have heard 2 different things but ESPN might show the segment again later today.

tennyfan
06-23-2004, 01:48 PM
Actually, I had the DVD recorder set to tape the early shows in case I got to sleep in, so I can go back and check later. But at any rate, I did a double take too because it sounded like English. I've heard him say other short English phrases in press conference videos online. I think it was at Hamburg that he said "perfect" several times, I'm assuming in response to when the translater translated something for him exactly how he would have worded it. And in one press conference they asked him when an injury or something occured and he said something like "2nd set ... no 3rd set 1st game".

Guille's Girl
06-23-2004, 02:01 PM
Wow really? Cool! heh. So he speaks English just not a whole lot :yeah:

alita
06-23-2004, 02:48 PM
Christine and GG, that's great you saw that.
I have been wanting to see that :o

aprillej26
06-23-2004, 03:44 PM
And in Roland Garros he also said "today"

vamos_guille
06-23-2004, 05:58 PM
so? someone has recorded the press conference ????

tennyfan
06-23-2004, 06:12 PM
They showed about a 30 second blip of it today, but it was this part where he said (crying) "After what happened to me because of doping, I was dreaming of this situation. To see that my body let me down and my nerves let me down, I want to come out of this story"

star
06-24-2004, 12:07 AM

I saw that. He was crying SO hard.

But! He looked GREAT in red! :angel:

star
06-24-2004, 12:08 AM
Actually, I had the DVD recorder set to tape the early shows in case I got to sleep in, so I can go back and check later. But at any rate, I did a double take too because it sounded like English. I've heard him say other short English phrases in press conference videos online. I think it was at Hamburg that he said "perfect" several times, I'm assuming in response to when the translater translated something for him exactly how he would have worded it. And in one press conference they asked him when an injury or something occured and he said something like "2nd set ... no 3rd set 1st game".

I've got it recorded too. I am pretty sure it was a voice over translation.

Clara Bow
06-24-2004, 01:20 AM
I mentioned this in another thread, but I saw the little snippet on Coria this morning as well, and I was kind of surprised that Chris Fowler of ESPN seems to rather enjoy Coria. Both for the natural tennis skills and for his emotive personality on court. They mentioned that he is kind of ornery, but Chris at least seemed to like that aspect of his personality and called Coria "entertaining" or something along those lines. Chris also stated that even though Coria was frustrated by the grass, he was at least trying (as opposed to Safin) .

Migh Coria actually be getting...gasp...a fan at ESPN?

akin
06-24-2004, 01:51 AM
I saw that. He was crying SO hard.

But! He looked GREAT in red! :angel:

Yes :hug:

Devotee
06-24-2004, 07:03 AM
I've got it recorded too. I am pretty sure it was a voice over translation.

Does anyone have the technical know-how to transfer their recording of
Guillermo's FO finals interview to this website?

gina_
06-24-2004, 09:12 AM
If you have a digicam with recording functions...

Aw, man =/ But that conference was so HEARTBREAKING. I kept all teary everytime I even think about poor guille

tennyfan
06-24-2004, 01:13 PM
I have the capability to make a short avi of the FO press conference bit they showed, but I haven't done it in a while. I'll try to work on it this weekend.

star
06-24-2004, 02:57 PM
I can't do it because I've got a DVD recorder, but no DVD capability on the computer. :(

vamos_guille
06-24-2004, 06:05 PM
tennyfan, if you manage to do that, I will thank you forever !!!!
thanx to try