Did Gambill play the match of his life !?! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Did Gambill play the match of his life !?!

Jeff
06-23-2004, 08:25 AM
According to the stats on the wimbledon website, in his match against Mirnyi, Gambill made 40 winners to only 4 unforced errors. He had 20 aces to 3 double faults :eek:

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/scores/stats/day2/1028ms.html

Mirnyi's stats weren't so bad either. Looks like it was a pretty good match. Anyone here get to see it? Didn't show it here in the states.

WyveN
06-23-2004, 08:28 AM
Mirnyi has been in horrible form lately and this loss isn't surprising.

Wimbledon has some weird way to calculate unforced errors, if your opponent is at the net a miss is almost never consider a unforced error, and I suspect Mirnyi was at the net quite a lot.

Jeff
06-23-2004, 08:30 AM
Yeah, that's true. Considering it's Gambill, though, I just thought it was pretty impressive coming from him.

WyveN
06-23-2004, 08:33 AM
yep it is, Hollywood is usually the one choking matches but played solid in this one

Action Jackson
06-23-2004, 08:36 AM
Break out the champagne Gambill won a match at a Slam.

Aleksa's Laydee
06-23-2004, 08:38 AM
i hope he can keep it up and this performance isn't a one hit wonder type!

Fee
06-23-2004, 02:20 PM
He didn't play the match of his life, but he did play the best match that he's played so far this year. From what I understand, most of the points of this match were very short with either aces, service winners, or net approaches. Max only had 11 unforced errors himself so I just have a feeling that niether one of them had too many opportunities to make mistakes. (Max had 42 net approaches).

Despite their difference in rankings, these two are fairly evenly matched and have played close matches before. Max has recently lost two close three setters on grass, but I had heard he was still playing fairly well despites the scores. JMG should be okay for his second round match, but he has Grosjean looming in the 3rd Round and he's never beaten Seb, so....

MissPovaFan
06-23-2004, 02:23 PM
He faces Daniele Bracciali in the Second round who is a qualifier so Id assume he should win that - but Grosjean is another matter. :rolleyes:

CooCooCachoo
06-23-2004, 03:54 PM
Great job for Jan-Mike anyway..

alfonsojose
06-23-2004, 04:33 PM
Aside form his freaky forehand and his Davenport footwork, Gambill is not that bad. Kiwi and him should meet Gaudio's psychologist ;)

alfonsojose
06-24-2004, 07:36 PM
He won again. Two matches in a row at a grand slam :eek: Now, Grosjean :p :tape:

YoursTruly
06-24-2004, 09:26 PM
What do you guys think about how Gambill will do against Grosjean?

alfonsojose
06-24-2004, 09:38 PM
A healthy Grosjean is too fast for Gambill ;) I guess grass should help Gambill's serve a bit, but Grosjean is anything but weak on grass

Gambill 0- Grosjean 5

2004 Australian Open, Hard, R64 Grosjean 4 6 3 6 2 6
2003 Tokyo, Hard, Q Grosjean 3 6 6 7
2002 Hamburg TMS, Clay, R64 Grosjean 2 6 2 6
2000 Adelaide, Hard, R16 Grosjean 6 3 6 7 2 6
1999 Lyon, Carpet, R32 Grosjean 6 1 3 6 3 6

Fee
06-24-2004, 11:41 PM
As much as I love JMG (and I love him dearly most of the time), I would pretty much have to agree with Alfonsojose. JMG served very well against Max, but not as well today (he let me know that he had 20 aces and only 60% of first serves in). I don't know if the wind was affecting him or what, but I do know that he is stymied by Seb. He played Seb very close in Tokyo last year, but had a horrible time with him in Australia in January (JMG does not like Rebound Ace very much). I think that grass will definitely benefit JMG in some ways that the surfaces of those previous matches did not, but Seb is fast and usually pretty smart on court, so he will be tough.

One thing that I was pleased to see in JMG today was the way he fought back in that match. I was told he was down 2-5 in the second set, after the rain delay (my scoreboard wouldn't connect for a while) and he came all the way back to win the TB. He gutted out a few breaks in the final set and served it out at love, so it looks like he was able to get a groove at the end. He's not always the best at coming back when he's behind. I think he will play an aggressive high-risk game (painting lines as he likes to do), try to serve and volley a lot, and roll the dice. Hopefully ESPN will show a point or two since it's on a camera court. (or someone in Europe will tape it for me). Fingers crossed and all that...

CarnivalCarnage
06-25-2004, 01:12 AM
Why are some of you so mean to the former world #3?