Safin said: "Olympics is not for tennis" [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Safin said: "Olympics is not for tennis"

Denise
06-23-2004, 06:33 AM
"I still say that the Olympics is not for tennis and tennis doesn't need the Olympic Games. It's not my goal in life to win a gold medal." - Marat Safin

"I have to play for Russia but I am not excited about going there. Also we have two Masters in the United States, then the Olympics and then we fly back for the US Open. It's a very tough schedule." - Marat Safin

What do u think about it?? :confused:

WyveN
06-23-2004, 06:50 AM
I agree, it is nice for the players to be part of such a special event but logically tennis along with a couple of other sports don't belong in the olympics.

CooCooCachoo
06-23-2004, 07:14 AM
If he doesn't WANT to play, he shouldn't. There are tons of Russian players out there that will love to play there. In fact, I think Andreev, Davydenko, Tursunov and Youzhny might be missing out on the Olympics now because Safin has to play.. Sorry, but he seems so unmotivated that he'd better just stop playing for a while, to get his motivation back.

CVK
06-23-2004, 07:43 AM
I thought that's pretty obvious. I dont think people will remember Thomas for winning his gold medal, and I think most have already forgotten who won men's doubles in Sydney other than us Canadians..

Lisbeth
06-23-2004, 08:19 AM
I agree too. Actually I think that if any of the highly paid professional sports are included (eg basketball, soccer) then it should be junior or genuinely amateur teams which compete rather than the pros.

However, defining "amateur" these days is very difficult these days. I have heard other people quite rightly point out that the top swimmers and sprinters make as much money out of swimming due to sponsorship as a top tennis player might make out of tennis or a soccer star's contract. I don't have the answer.

WyveN
06-23-2004, 08:26 AM
I have heard other people quite rightly point out that the top swimmers and sprinters make as much money out of swimming

Swimming is different as apart from the world championships there are not many events, olympics is it for them.
Far different in tennis.

Lisbeth
06-23-2004, 08:33 AM
Yes that's a good point. Thanks! I hoped someone would have an actual argument to back up my feeling ;)

CmonAussie
06-23-2004, 08:49 AM
I thought that's pretty obvious. I dont think people will remember Thomas for winning his gold medal, and I think most have already forgotten who won men's doubles in Sydney other than us Canadians..
:wavey:
Who's Thomas :confused: ? As far as I know the past few Olympics Gold Medalists in Tennis have been:
* Seoul = Mecir; Barcelona = Rosset; Atlanta = Agassi; Sydney = Kafelnekov
:worship: :worship: :worship:

PS~ Are you talking about Johansson winning AO? :p

ANYWAY I don't see what's the controversy :rolleyes: !!
* If players don't want to represent their country in Tennis then that's fine; I'm sure there are plenty of up & coming players happy to take their place & enjoy the wonderful experience of attending the unique event ;) !

For instance Lleyton Hewitt said he doesn't want to play in Athens because it's too close to USO~ which remains one of his priorities in 04 :cool: . So if Safin feels so strongly about it then I'm sure he's free to make the same decision... Marat has already helped Russia win the Davis Cup 2-years ago; so I don't see the Russian Tennis Federation criticising him if he chooses not to play. What would be sad is if Safin showed up in Athens because "...I have to play for Russia" not because he 'wants to' & then tanks a match the same way he did in Rd1 at Wimbledon :sad: :sad: !

Marat's an adult~ he should make his own decisions & stop complaining about schedules/court surfaces/officials etc. :eek: It's really getting boring to see him act so childish especially as he gets older he should be maturing!!

Federer, Roddick, Ferrero & Hewitt were somewhat petulant a few years ago but now they act in a more mature way :angel: ; Marat is older than any of these guys & yet his attitude remains the worst :devil: !

Jazzy
06-23-2004, 08:56 AM
a very good point there!!

WyveN
06-23-2004, 09:05 AM
the issue isn't whether safin wants to play in olympics, its that tennis (at least professional tennis) shouldnt be in the olympics

maratski
06-23-2004, 09:18 AM
After the retirement of Yev, Marat is Russia's last hope in men's tennis. If he decides to skip the Olympics I don't think his compatriots will ever forgive him for it. For some reason I think this is why he'll play.

CmonAussie
06-23-2004, 09:19 AM
the issue isn't whether safin wants to play in olympics, its that tennis (at least professional tennis) shouldnt be in the olympics
Okie dokies that's the issue then; but why is even news-worthy or debatable :confused: ! *Even if Tennis doesn't deserve to be an Olympic Event{you could make the same argument for several other sports too} then the Pro Tennis Players should see "Olympic Tennis" as a 'bonus' :angel: that they're lucky to be a part of such a unique, historically important & exciting event which only happens every 4yrs & gets the Worldwide Coverage & Attention for 2-weeks in some of the most beautiful cities in the world :D :cool: !

PS~ It's funny how several Pro Golfers are debating about how Golf deserves to be an Olympic Event; & would love the opportunity to play in Athens-->> yet half the tennis fraturnity wastes their energy saying "we shouldn't be there" :sad: :eek: !
If the top players don't want to got to the Olympics then fine~ suit yourselves; many athletes waiting in line to take their place :p !

Denise
06-23-2004, 09:55 PM
I agree as well. Tennis has too many events in the whole year.... I know that olympics is a very important event too, but it's complicated for the players u know.... But IMO soccer souldn't be part of olympics, for me more than tennis. I'm sayin' about male soccer basically. Ok, I'm not sayin' this 'cause Brazil male soccer it's outta of olympics, lol :lol: but 'cause the others sports should have more importance gods sake! In the intire year we must have for exemple, euro cup etc... :rolleyes:

see ya

Chloe le Bopper
06-23-2004, 10:19 PM
I like tennis in the olympics just how it is. The olympics aren't what they once were. They've changed. That is just how it is.

But....

Also we have two Masters in the United States

*ahme* Do you? *taps finger, cocks eyebrow and looks annoyed*

azza
06-23-2004, 10:41 PM
Just coz Marat doesnt like it it should't be in there :lol: :p

Marine
06-23-2004, 10:44 PM
Tennis has his place in OG ! More than baseball for example.
If all the best players decided to make an effort, it would be a prestigious competition.
And I don't consider it's an effort, it's a great opportunity, players should be proud to participate to this wonderful competition, among all the best sportmen of the planet. They represent their country, it's an honour.
It's enough for me !!!!!!!
(but...the prize money is not the same, so... :rolleyes: )

Chloe le Bopper
06-24-2004, 01:56 AM
Many players are proud to represent their country. I don't understand why people who are against it's inclusion in the olympics use the few examples of players who are against it to support their point. So Marat and Kim don't care. Big deal. For every Marat and Kim there is a Coria and Justine.

Somehow, I don't think Kafelnikov would agree with the sentiment that tennis doesn't belong ;)

Havok
06-24-2004, 03:13 AM
Tennis should be part of the Olympic games. Hey if such dumbass events are played at the Olympics, then why not tenis?:scratch: If Marat doesn't want to play, then he doesn't have to. Players aren't forced to participate in the Olympics right? And to me if someone plays Davis Cup and loves it, but then doesn't wanna play the Olympics, isn't that kinda weird? I mean they are both sorta the same thing, totally seperate from the ATP and representing your country no?

CVK
06-24-2004, 06:18 AM
Okie dokies that's the issue then; but why is even news-worthy or debatable :confused: ! *Even if Tennis doesn't deserve to be an Olympic Event{you could make the same argument for several other sports too} then the Pro Tennis Players should see "Olympic Tennis" as a 'bonus' :angel: that they're lucky to be a part of such a unique, historically important & exciting event which only happens every 4yrs & gets the Worldwide Coverage & Attention for 2-weeks in some of the most beautiful cities in the world :D :cool: !

PS~ It's funny how several Pro Golfers are debating about how Golf deserves to be an Olympic Event; & would love the opportunity to play in Athens-->> yet half the tennis fraturnity wastes their energy saying "we shouldn't be there" :sad: :eek: !
If the top players don't want to got to the Olympics then fine~ suit yourselves; many athletes waiting in line to take their place :p !
lol, that's right, sorry I didnt specify, what I meant was if Thomas won Olympics instead of AO, he will be long forgotten sooner or later:)
Neways, I dont care about it much anyways, Nascar/Golf arent in Olympics anyways :D

J. Corwin
06-24-2004, 06:30 AM
Oh come on, tennis is a sport. And the Olympics is made for sports. :p It's all fine and dandy if he doesn't like Olympic tennis, no one asked him to like it. Marat is gonna enter the Olympics, right? :D;)

WyveN
06-24-2004, 06:56 AM
Somehow, I don't think Kafelnikov would agree with the sentiment that tennis doesn't belong ;)

apparently Rosset doesn't agree and unlike Kafelnikov, Rosset's gold medal is his truly memorable achievement

WyveN
06-24-2004, 07:03 AM
Where the Olympics shine most is in its most basic competition - track & field. I I'll add swimming, because the principles behind the competition is the
same as track. Competitors v. the clock. No gray area.

When you see swimmers, sprinters, distance runners, high jumpers, you see athletes who have devoted their lives to training mostly for the sake of the competition. Few become rich and famous and they are supreme, elite athletes.

Personally, I don't believe team sports or games (tennis, soccer,
baseball, softball, basketball, hockey) really belong in the Olympics but that's a personal opinion. Each has other pinnacles with at least as much meaning to the individual athlete than the Olympics.
Once a sport like tennis gets included, the Olympics suddenly becomes a major competition. Tennis wasn't even a medal sport prior to 1988.

Also, when a Olympic team loads itself with established stars, where does that leave the other athletes who made the grave mistake at 6, 8 or 10 to pursue less profitable sports?
The Olympics is for appreciating those athletes for whom the Olympics is their one moment to shine.

Chloe le Bopper
06-24-2004, 08:05 AM
The Olympics is for appreciating those athletes for whom the Olympics is their one moment to shine.

That of course is your opinion ;) To me, the olympics are more about money than anything else these days, so I don't see why people make fuss over high profile athletes being able to play in them. That, and if it's a sport, I don't see why it shouldn't be in the olympics. Hell, if skijumping, curling, and that competition with arrows and skiing (wtf?) can be in the olympics, all of a sudden tennis is making a lot of sense.

The Olympics is the biggest event for figure skating, but there is some debate over whether or not a marked competition is truly a "sport"... so, bicker bicker ;) What's there is there, and I'm willing to deal with that. The times change, and so do the Olympics.

Chloe le Bopper
06-24-2004, 08:07 AM
apparently Rosset doesn't agree and unlike Kafelnikov, Rosset's gold medal is his only truly memorable achievement
That's interesting and nice and all, but as I said before:

For every Marat and Kim there is a Coria and Justine.

And apparently for every Rosset there is a Kafelnikov. Yeehaw.

Chloe le Bopper
06-24-2004, 08:09 AM
Am I correct in suspecting that those of you who bitch that tennis doesn't "belong" in the Olympics (whatever the Hell that means), will show no interestat all in the Olympic Tennis tournament? I mean, surely you wouldn't be interested in supporting an event you don't believe in? :)

WyveN
06-24-2004, 08:46 AM
Am I correct in suspecting that those of you who bitch that tennis doesn't "belong" in the Olympics (whatever the Hell that means), will show no interestat all in the Olympic Tennis tournament? I mean, surely you wouldn't be interested in supporting an event you don't believe in? :)

There is a difference between watching a event and supporting it. I mean you have people participating in it, and even winning gold medals, who don't support it.

Q. Have you had chats with Yevgeny about this?

MARAT SAFIN: Yeah, but Yevgeny is the same, probably the same. You don't get this special feeling.

Action Jackson
06-24-2004, 08:53 AM
Marc Rosset was very happy to win the Gold in Barcelona, but even then he would have traded that medal for a Grand Slam title. He only went as a holiday, to watch some other sports while he was there, and managed to win the gold medal.

gina_
06-24-2004, 09:24 AM
I think football has a more hectic schedule.

gina_
06-24-2004, 09:29 AM
Personally, I don't believe team sports or games (tennis, soccer,
baseball, softball, basketball, hockey) really belong in the Olympics but that's a personal opinion. Each has other pinnacles with at least as much meaning to the individual athlete than the Olympics.
Once a sport like tennis gets included, the Olympics suddenly becomes a major competition. Tennis wasn't even a medal sport prior to 1988.

Well said. I think team sports are better represented in a consistant league rather than in the Olympics.

Vass
06-24-2004, 11:18 AM
I agree with him, somethat. Tennis doesn't FEEL like an Olympic sport. It doesn't have an Olympic air about it, unlike othersports. Maybe it's because noone cares about Olympic tennis, just like noone cares about Olympic football (soccer). Especially the players.
If he doesn't WANT to play, he shouldn't. There are tons of Russian players out there that will love to play there. In fact, I think Andreev, Davydenko, Tursunov and Youzhny might be missing out on the Olympics now because Safin has to play.. Sorry, but he seems so unmotivated that he'd better just stop playing for a while, to get his motivation back.
Andreev, Youzhny, Tursunov and Davydenko... Marat is still the top Russian. Olympics are on hard courts and Marat is the best Russian on that surface, and you can argue but it is his best surface as well. SO it wouldn't be tough for him to concentrate and motivate himself and he should play fine. He would also be pressured by his "patriotic duty" that he feels and that's why i think he'll perform better than any other Russian.

Well said. I think team sports are better represented in a consistant league rather than in the Olympics.
Volleyball sounds very Olympic as well as both hockeys.

budikovac
06-24-2004, 11:43 AM
I don't think the question is "does tennis deserve to be..."! tennis is one of the more popular sports and it definitely "deserves" to be an Olympic event!
you could argue for example does K1 deserve to be an Olympic sport...
the only question about tennis you could ask is why some players like to play it, and why some don't?

joeb_uk
06-25-2004, 11:45 AM
damn marat stop whining, he is starting to annoy me now!

Denise
06-26-2004, 11:23 PM
damn marat stop whining, he is starting to annoy me now!

What?? What are u talkin' about?? :o

JennyS
06-27-2004, 01:23 PM
I think it's kind of interesting that some people think that pro athletes from tennis, basketball and hockey shouldn't be allowed to compete at the Olympics, when most of the so-called "amateur" Olympians make as much money as many of the pros.

I've followed figure skating for many years and all skaters can earn unlimited amounts of money and be eligible for the Olympics as long as they skate exclusively in ISU (skating's governing body) sanction events. A lot of people think the ISU's rules are unfair and I think it's crazy that skaters lose Olympic eligibility by skating in events like Ice Wars only because the ISU doesn't control them. Hence there is a lot of confusion over which skaters are allowed to compete in the Olympics. Michelle Kwan and Sarah Hughes both won the Sullivan Award for best Amateur athlete event though both had earned millions of dollars from skating tours, prize money and endoresments!

It isn't the money that is the reason why some people don't want certain sports in the Olympics. For the track and field athletes, swimmers, divers, gymnasts, etc, the Olympics and World Championships are the two most important titles in their sports. For ATP, WTA, NBA and NHL players, the Grand Slams, NBA Championship and Stanley Cup are the most important titles. However, for basketball and hockey players who don't play in those leagues, the Olympics is probably more important.

I have mixed feelings about tennis being in the Olympics.

Tennis Fool
08-08-2004, 08:17 AM
I agree too. Actually I think that if any of the highly paid professional sports are included (eg basketball, soccer) then it should be junior or genuinely amateur teams which compete rather than the pros.

However, defining "amateur" these days is very difficult these days. I have heard other people quite rightly point out that the top swimmers and sprinters make as much money out of swimming due to sponsorship as a top tennis player might make out of tennis or a soccer star's contract. I don't have the answer.

The more I learn about the modern Olympics and its ancient counterpart, the more I question "amateurism". The modern Olympics are modeled after the Ancients who supposedly competed in the spirit of "Good will" and not for money.

This is a fallacy. The ancient Olympians competed for the money and glory it would give them. They would be known as Gods and remembered for all time in record books. If that meant killing your competitor, so be it.

Also, "amateurism" was a concept created by the modern Games, where the Elite could compete amongst themselves and actually win. If money was paid out, heaven's forbid the lower classes, made more powerful by being laborers, could afford to enter, and beat their asses.

Thus, amateurism is an elitist concept. Tennis was an elitist sport until the Open Era.

Tennis Fool
08-08-2004, 08:20 AM
Tennis has his place in OG ! More than baseball for example.
If all the best players decided to make an effort, it would be a prestigious competition.

I agree. Tennis was with the Olympics in its inception, but was abandoned after 1928.

~EMiLiTA~
08-08-2004, 08:59 AM
I totally agree...but then I also think, if that's the way he thinks, then he shouldn't go

*SKYE*
08-08-2004, 10:14 AM
hmmm.... i agree and disagree with Safin on that quote

Bibir
08-08-2004, 10:43 AM
I like very much Marat...but I know we can't take seriously all the things he said....he changes his mind every day....
Hewitt is against Olympics...and he decided not to go
Roddick is for the olympics.... and he's happy to go

Marat is against Olympics...but he decided to go....why?...because he has to...not because he wants to...

next week, he will play Sopot on clay...not very wise decision...it shows how much he cares about the Olympics
He was honest when he said tennis was not for Olympics...but in other hand he knows he has to go "because of the country"

what can I say...That's our boy...I remember Marat saying davis cup was not his priority...

Shadow
08-08-2004, 12:11 PM
what can I say...That's our boy...I remember Marat saying davis cup was not his priority...

and on the other side he wanted to win it really badly.

Marat is against Olympics...but he decided to go....why?...because he has to...not because he wants to...

because he wants to represent his country.

Bibir
08-08-2004, 01:16 PM
and on the other side he wanted to win it really badly.

exactly... in 2002 davis cup was a priority...that's what I was saying..it's quite difficult to understand what's going on his head :)

Aurora
08-08-2004, 01:23 PM
Who would have thought hippo's would be so complicated?

Shadow
08-08-2004, 01:29 PM
exactly... in 2002 davis cup was a priority...that's what I was saying..it's quite difficult to understand what's going on his head :)

I`m Sorry, I got it wrong :o

Shadow
08-08-2004, 01:49 PM
Thats what Marat said in Toronto

Q. Marat, have you changed your feelings at all about the Olympics?

A. No. I already said it's my decision. It's not like I'm going to change it because I'm feeling good right now. It's my opinion and I don't think it's -- I'm still with it. I mean, it's great to play in Olympics but I don't think it should be there but, anyway, it's not a problem for me.

Q. How motivated would you be for the Olympics compared to say the U.S. Open?

A. It's almost important tournament for me especially I'm playing for my country. It's a lot of points in a game and it's a great thing to win, but I'm still -- if you compare the Olympics to the U.S. Open, I prefer the U.S. Open.

SanTaureau Fan
08-08-2004, 04:02 PM
For someone who has motivation problems... (Like against Tursunov at Wimbledon when he admitted after the match he didn't care after a while) I wonder how he's going to perform at the Olympics if he feels tennis shouldn't be there.

Maybe he'll have the extra motivation to win a medal for Russia, but I fear an early exits if he faces a dangerous opponent.

PennyThePenguin
08-08-2004, 04:06 PM
marat will play for his country whatever he might say to all and sundry. it's just embedded deep down in him to do his "duty" for the country. i'm sure he cares even if he doesn't feel like it's in his best personal interest to play.

Experimentee
08-08-2004, 04:10 PM
I think its nice that tennis is part of such a prestigious event like the Olympics.
If Marat doesnt like it, he shouldnt play! Just bc he doesnt like it doesnt mean it shouldnt be an event :rolleyes:
There are lots of players who love to play the Olympics and it is very important to them. Theres something special about representing your country in such an event.

Experimentee
08-08-2004, 04:25 PM
apparently Rosset doesn't agree and unlike Kafelnikov, Rosset's gold medal is his truly memorable achievement

The Olympic medal does mean a lot to Kafelnikov. I remember in 2000 at the start of the year he said his main goal for the year was to win the Olympic gold medal, and that was what he would concentrate all his efforts on. He said it really meant a lot to him because it would be his last chance to win a medal bc he'd be retired the next time the Olympics came around.

i love paradorn
08-08-2004, 05:01 PM
So what if Safin makes it to the quarters in Sopot, which he most likely will? The field in Sopot is not very good, so he'll definitely do well here? Will he have to skip the opening ceremonies?

Bubble
08-08-2004, 08:11 PM
The Olympic medal does mean a lot to Kafelnikov. I remember in 2000 at the start of the year he said his main goal for the year was to win the Olympic gold medal, and that was what he would concentrate all his efforts on. He said it really meant a lot to him because it would be his last chance to win a medal bc he'd be retired the next time the Olympics came around.

Yes, Kafelnikov thought highly of his gold medal acheivement.. He equated it to his 2 grand slam wins.

If you have seen the way Yevgeny celebrated after reaching matchpoint over Tommy Haas during the gold medal match, you would have felt the happiness in him. He was practically jumping around, smiling and gave a lap of honor while holding the Russian flag... The commentators were dumbstuck as they had never expect that ice-cool Yevgeny to behave like a boy ...

Vass
08-08-2004, 09:12 PM
So what if Safin makes it to the quarters in Sopot, which he most likely will? The field in Sopot is not very good, so he'll definitely do well here? Will he have to skip the opening ceremonies?
Or he'll tank as hard as he can...

Kip
08-08-2004, 09:56 PM
IMO, to each his own!