Star Sports channel is very boring. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Star Sports channel is very boring.

Toppu
06-23-2004, 05:27 AM
Star Sports, one of the big name in sport broadcasting in Asia, should stop braodcasting live Wimbledon. That's my feeling. But it won't stop.

The first day of Wimbledon 2004. After rain interruption I was watching 5 different matches in hours. I'm still wondering how could they do that ? The first live match was Federer's match. After Rogi broke serve, they moved to Martina's court, she was leading 5-0 or something and when she closed out the first set, they moved to Paradorn's match, watching it for a while, but when Ivo broke Paradorn's serve, back to Martina's match and when it finished, now they showed me Sugiyama's match, then back to Paradorn's match again until the rain came.When the sky was clear. Then a chance to see Rogi closed out the match and back to Paradorn's defeat. Then they moved to centre court where Goran was leading in the middle of the first set. I'd never had a chance to see any whole match at all. Normally it should be broadcast one match at a time. They may want to broadcast as much as they could so the viewers can watch every important matches. But they forgot something I just said. Noone could see any whole match and enjoys it right from the start and never knows what is the turning point. That's very boring.

THe second day was still the same. Moreover TV commercials are always too long. When they came back, it was like 15-0 or 30-0. I was very upset. And would you believe it when there is still a live match to broadcast , they won't show live but they showed players interview. I just want to see the game.

ANy better channel ?

Anyone from HongKong ? would you tell this channel that they are doing something very boring. This upset viewers.

jeanie_sin
06-23-2004, 06:02 AM
get used to it!
you only cant stand their programming? so many of us over at wtaworld cant stand the idiotic commentators :mad:

lsy
06-23-2004, 07:10 AM
Yes the first day coverage was very confusing, switching from one match to another with no reason. Took away all my interest in following the coverage.

I had feedback to them through email, hopefully things will get better.

Lalitha
06-23-2004, 10:00 AM
Haha, Star Sports - here in India I call that 'Cricket Channel' along with ESPN. But I won't say that the commentators are stupid though.

As per the coverage, I think they were broadcasting(recorded) other matches that happend during that day, during rain delay instead of the showing courts covered. But all this confusions will last only until the quarter final stages. They don't the Semi's and Final's live.

Isy, I don't think email-ing such things would be any use though.

gina_
06-23-2004, 10:35 AM
I'm on starsports too and I have to agree the programming was hella choppy! It'll get better when there're less matches though...then they'll focus. Or at least that's what happened during the French Open. I prefer Supersports, less adverts.

Anyway, everyone's big on Euro04 now...I mean they get their own channel yo!

lsy
06-23-2004, 10:51 AM
Isy, I don't think email-ing such things would be any use though.

Well, they did read my email last year USO, so...but not that I'm putting lots of hope in there ;)

jeanie_sin
06-23-2004, 11:13 AM
they are trying to show everyone's matches...but they are kind of useless.....the huge asian emphasis meant i only got to watch 1 game each of federer, hewitt, and none of myskina, lindsay :mad:

Toppu
06-23-2004, 01:03 PM
get used to it!
you only cant stand their programming? so many of us over at wtaworld cant stand the idiotic commentators

well, I used to listen Thai commentators because I'm sick of those Star Sports commentators since they ,in my opinion, "take sides". Now I'm also sick of my own commentators as they know a little about tennis.

I had feedback to them through email, hopefully things will get better.

I did the same and got this feedback. I can't believe it. well, they said..
Thank you very much for your comment and contacting us.

STAR is constantly seeking feedback from our audience to enable us providing
them with better services. We've already sent your opinion to the related
parties for consideration. We apologize for any inconvenience caused.

I don't think email-ing such things would be any use though.

But now , at least , They got some comments. Let's see.

akosijepoy
06-23-2004, 04:14 PM
me too...i've been sending them emails....requesting them to show complete matches....it's annoying if you keep chaninging matches...

oxy
06-23-2004, 05:12 PM
have to agree starsports sux..supersports is better with the french and australia open....and guess what USO will also be on starsports....poor us asians...:sad:

Bubble
06-23-2004, 05:18 PM
Very terrible...
For AO and french Open, I will look forward eagerly every day to catch all the live telecasts from Supersports and hear the knowledge commentators, Fred Stolle, John Barrett comment on the matches and the players' technique.

So far , I can only bear watching bits and pieces of Starsports' telecast... Simply awful and biased. I dun even think I will be eager to switch onto the channel....

US Open gonna be the same nightmare... :sad:

gaznev
06-24-2004, 03:51 AM
Very terrible...
For AO and french Open, I will look forward eagerly every day to catch all the live telecasts from Supersports and hear the knowledge commentators, Fred Stolle, John Barrett comment on the matches and the players' technique.

So far , I can only bear watching bits and pieces of Starsports' telecast... Simply awful and biased. I dun even think I will be eager to switch onto the channel....

US Open gonna be the same nightmare... :sad:

AAAAhhhh...I left a similar message on a similar thread in wtaworld. So glad I'm not the only one that wants to throw my shoe at the tv watching Star Sports coverage of tennis. Agree abt French and AO coverage being miles better.
The rain and the sucky coverage on Star Sports is totally spoiling my enjoyment of Wimbledon :-(

gina_
06-24-2004, 09:27 AM
I agree- Supersports is wayy better than Starspots.

I hate the people running the show too, especially when you get to see so much of their ignorance with all the rain delays. They don't even know the URL of the wta website...AND they choose to discuss fan's questions like "I'm a big fan of Elena Dementieva. Can you tell me her email address?" Like hello?

It's just annoying. I hate to compare this to football on ESPN but the live programming there is so seamless and professional and the hosts and the commentators actually give GOOD insights, knowledgable insights.

Urgh, starsports annoys me! They need to stop being so sloppy just cuz they have "exclusive" rights.

monicain
06-26-2004, 09:38 AM
It sucks. And I've had enuff of it for years. :mad:
The programming is sooo poor. Commentators are stupid.
Are they really think we wanna hear those stupid commentators discussing over and over? During rainfalls, Supersport would show matches recorded earlier. StarSport? Vijay Singh discussing over and over. Fuck.
Hopefully they'll lost their right this soon. Hate them so much.

jeanie_sin
06-26-2004, 10:07 AM
i hate starsports!
they are snubbing hewitt!

Aerien
06-26-2004, 11:29 AM
As much as I hate Vijay and Niru, this is better than no coverage at all.
I just put it on mute. :)

cool
06-26-2004, 11:34 AM
I liked the commentary in star sports(asia) especially Vijay Amritraj's. I didnt watch supersport coverage yet so i can not compare.

jcman
06-26-2004, 01:44 PM
I live in HK and watch starsports as there are no other choices here.
I think the commentary is alright
but it annoys me when they always try to show tanasugarn/paradorn/other asian players when there are some other more interesting matchups.
( so i am gad that paradorn out so early )

now, during breaks, they try to show the results from different courts ...i think it's good....

gina_
06-26-2004, 02:10 PM
I guess thats the point. I hate starsports but they're the only sports channel in singapore so I don't have a choice. I guess I rather have extremely annoying commentry by Vijay than only be watching matches from the semifinals onwards on free to air channel.

I just wish they'll prize their exclusivity abit more and give us some value for cash. Or, another cable channel please!

jeanie_sin
06-26-2004, 03:56 PM
I guess thats the point. I hate starsports but they're the only sports channel in singapore so I don't have a choice. I guess I rather have extremely annoying commentry by Vijay than only be watching matches from the semifinals onwards on free to air channel.

I just wish they'll prize their exclusivity abit more and give us some value for cash. Or, another cable channel please!

no free to air for wimby and us open in singapore. they dont have the rights, i think. coz for RG and AO, they take directly from supersports

Bubble
06-26-2004, 04:04 PM
Ironically we have the rain to thank...
Now Starsports are forced to show all the earlier matches that we would have missed... :devil:

gina_
06-27-2004, 02:19 AM
I can't believe golf gets better coverage than tennis. @*&$#(

Xin
06-27-2004, 04:40 AM
You can only say one's tennis coverage sucks compare to the other channel. Yeah, maybe Star isn't as good as Super because the commentating on Super is more interesting and professional.
But you can't expect much professional for Asian tennis views.
I think the first day, they switched too much. But from then on, it's totally fine. Sometimes, it's boring to stick on one match because for Wimbledon, one break almost means one set! I feel quiet boring when Super only shows one match at a time. I can fall asleep. Switching is good because you may get to see your favs if they are showing another one. If like Super, when they decide to show Hewitt's match, you have no chance whatsoever to see say Coria's match if they play at the same time. Many times in RG, I feel Super chose the wrong match to show. Ignoring other more interesting matches. So the fact is, tennis is totally subjective. Different people want to see different matches. You can't complan about that.
I have to say Star gets at least 70% coverage over the whole tournament. It's hard to do when 20 matches are going on on the same time. They manage to COVER very well.
If you ask me ESPN in U.S. how much do they cover the tournament? I suppose they think there's only Americans playing in Wimbledon. So what's wrong with showing some new faces from Asia, plus their games/matches are not boring at all compare to some others! It's tennis coverage for Asia, isn't it? Come on! It's wrong if they don't show them.

jeanie_sin
06-27-2004, 04:52 AM
You can only say one's <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=tennis&v=56">tennis</a> coverage sucks compare to the other channel. Yeah, maybe Star isn't as good as Super because the commentating on Super is more interesting and professional.
But you can't expect much professional for Asian <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=tennis&v=56">tennis</a> views.
I think the first day, they switched too much. But from then on, it's totally fine. Sometimes, it's boring to stick on one match because for Wimbledon, one break almost means one set! I feel quiet boring when Super only shows one match at a <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=time&v=56">time</a>. I can fall asleep. Switching is good because you may get to see your favs if they are showing another one. If like Super, when they decide to show Hewitt's match, you have no chance whatsoever to see say Coria's match if they play at the same <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=time&v=56">time</a>. Many times in RG, I feel Super chose the wrong match to show. Ignoring other more interesting matches. So the fact is, <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=tennis&v=56">tennis</a> is totally subjective. Different <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=people&v=56">people</a> want to see different matches. You can't complan about that.
I have to say Star gets at least 70% coverage over the whole tournament. It's hard to do when 20 matches are going on on the same <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=time&v=56">time</a>. They manage to COVER very well.
If you ask me ESPN in U.S. how much do they <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=cover&v=56">cover</a> the tournament? I suppose they think there's only Americans playing in Wimbledon. So what's wrong with showing some new faces from Asia, plus their games/matches are not boring at all compare to some others! It's <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=tennis&v=56">tennis</a> coverage for Asia, isn't it? Come on! It's wrong if they don't show them.

SUPER shows hewitt very often at RG because we are actually getting australian coverage there, so, no surprise

Xin
06-27-2004, 05:14 AM
SUPER shows hewitt very often at RG because we are actually getting australian coverage there, so, no surprise
Yeah, I think they get it from Austalian fox sport

gina_
06-28-2004, 08:26 AM
no free to air for wimby and us open in singapore. they dont have the rights, i think. coz for RG and AO, they take directly from supersports

There is on Channel i...Wimbledon at least.

Lalitha
06-28-2004, 08:44 AM
Star Sports is not giving that bad a coverage at all. About the commentary, Niru is sometimes silly but Vijay is good. Alain wilkins is good only for cricket. But for the other commentators I better don't say anything at all.

PennyThePenguin
06-28-2004, 10:20 AM
Star sports sucks. ESPN sucks. Super sports is still bearable. But i think they jump around so much in the first week cos there're so many courts to cover. but i wish they'd find a nice court they like and stick to it though. it's irritating to look up every single time and find different players on your screen!

Lalitha
06-29-2004, 12:26 PM
Did anyone heard Boris Becker commentating in the Henman - Philippoussis match?