Who is going? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who is going?

JanineGermany
02-25-2008, 06:41 PM
Who of you is going to the Masters Series Hamburg???

Jens
02-26-2008, 02:01 PM
I'm going on Tuesday or Wednesday with my family. Last year was great and I hope it becomes great again. :cool:

JanineGermany
02-26-2008, 03:59 PM
I was there the last 5 years, last week we booked our hotel (as it´s again harbour-birthday and many hotels are already sold out)... can´t wait to go again.

We will go Saturday till Tuesday.

Jens
02-26-2008, 04:25 PM
We will go Saturday till Tuesday.

Wow, 4 days in a row so you can see Quali too? :)

JanineGermany
02-27-2008, 02:51 PM
Wow, 4 days in a row so you can see Quali too? :)

yes I can see Qualy and the others practicing :)

Jimnik
03-16-2008, 03:26 AM
I'll try to come for at least one weekend. I probably shouldn't take more than a day off work but if possible I want to see the Monday and maybe Tuesday too.

There might be a chance that Safin plays quallies and Guga gets a WC here so there could be some good value for the early days.

ZackBusner
03-18-2008, 11:50 AM
I'll try to come for at least one weekend. I probably shouldn't take more than a day off work but if possible I want to see the Monday and maybe Tuesday too.

There might be a chance that Safin plays quallies and Guga gets a WC here so there could be some good value for the early days.

Did they ever give a WC to a non-german player?

JanineGermany
03-18-2008, 02:39 PM
This year Hamburg has a sunday start. But 2nd Round will start Wednesday only.

I am not sure, as far as I can remember only germans.

davis
03-20-2008, 11:16 AM

Marat playing qualis - hell has to freeze over before that happens... :tape: Don't wait for it.

At most they'll give him a Wild Card, but Hamburg tends to only hand them out to Germans (as stated before in this thread) - we'll have to wait and see.

I don't think Guga will even try to get in. He's not fit, so he'll concentrate on a few big tournaments for his farewell, like Miami and RG (and again, also remember the organizer's WC policy...).

BTW, I will be there from Sunday to Sunday.:D

Mrs Tommy Haas
03-21-2008, 09:15 AM
not this year.. too bad.
i read guga gets a wildcard here too.

davis
03-21-2008, 09:20 AM
not this year.. too bad.
i read guga gets a wildcard here too.

Yeah - especially since it's the last year (at least as an AMS event) :bigcry:

Guga - really? I was sure it wouldn't happen. Great news!

Mrs Tommy Haas
03-21-2008, 10:09 AM
Yeah - especially since it's the last year (at least as an AMS event) :bigcry:

Guga - really? I was sure it wouldn't happen. Great news!

not sure how definite it is, there was an article about guga playing all AMS up to the French Open, then retire.
But just now I read he wants to play Hamburg OR Rome, so who knows what happens.

Last year Marat was not very popular with the german fans. I remember the stadium emtpying before his match with Massu.
(not talking about the Ferrero match...that was the most horrible night ever, I think)

JMG
04-01-2008, 07:53 PM
Hopefully only WCs for German players.

shotgun
04-01-2008, 09:53 PM
Give it to a player with a German surname and it's all good.

:D

JMG
04-01-2008, 11:53 PM
Beck has a wildcard and I think Mayer has a big chance to get one, as he had two good years in Hamburg already.

Mrs. Fabregas
04-07-2008, 10:13 PM
Marat playing qualis - hell has to freeze over before that happens... :tape: Don't wait for it.

It was snowing and freezing in march, so :shrug: It might happen :p

BTW, I will be there from Sunday to Sunday.:D

:cool: And i'm with you there then :banana:

Last year Marat was not very popular with the german fans. I remember the stadium emtpying before his match with Massu.
(not talking about the Ferrero match...that was the most horrible night ever, I think)

:tape: :help: :scared: Don't remind me :sobbing:

irish_mike
05-01-2008, 11:36 PM
I'm going:):) Snow would be nice lol

davis
05-02-2008, 07:35 AM
I'm going:):) Snow would be nice lol

Don't count on it. Weather is beautiful here now - actually, that probably means it'll be cold and rainy by the time the tournament starts. It's the same every year; it must be the "Rothenbaum curse". Bring on the long underwear, guys!:D

Great to see an Irish man coming over! Wear a shamrock T-shirt, I'll try to spot you! :wavey:

Björki
05-02-2008, 09:16 AM
isn't the weather always nice before the tournament? :confused: :rolleyes:

Sommarsverige
05-02-2008, 09:43 AM
isn't the weather always nice before the tournament? :confused: :rolleyes:

Yes, it is ;) And as Davis also wrote, we have great weather here now and I checked the forecast: until next wednesday we get only sun and temperatures about 22 degrees. I already know that it will be cold and rainy at least from next saturday (qualifying day) on :devil:

But anyway, I will enjoy the tournament no matter what kind of weather we will get ;)

irish_mike
05-02-2008, 11:07 AM
Yes, it is ;) And as Davis also wrote, we have great weather here now and I checked the forecast: until next wednesday we get only sun and temperatures about 22 degrees. I already know that it will be cold and rainy at least from next saturday (qualifying day) on :devil:

But anyway, I will enjoy the tournament no matter what kind of weather we will get ;)

I was atbthe Monte-Carlo masters last week, and it was VERY HOT:):)

hope Germany will be the same (I'm very red now!!) No sun here in ireland!

irish_mike
05-02-2008, 11:11 AM
Question about Hamburg:-
1) What is the public transport like in the city
2) Is the tennis far from the main city?

Thanks
Míchéal

davis
05-02-2008, 12:04 PM

Thanks
Míchéal

Public transport is very good and frequent AND the use is included in the price of your ticket. You can use all busses and trains by presenting it (if asked).

The site is IN the city, very centrally located. No problem of getting there and away at all!

If you need a tour guide or have any more questions, PM me.

Sommarsverige
05-02-2008, 12:08 PM

Thanks
Míchéal

The public transport in Hamburg is very good! You can take the metro almost everywhere (and there is a metro station directly at the tennis venue, the station is "Hallerstraße"). Apart from that, there are also busses (for example, if you want to see a bit of the city as well), but I would prefer metro, it is the best and fastest way.

Here is a link to the metro plan of Hamburg:

http://www.hvv.de/pdf/fahrplaene/usar/hvv_usar_regio.pdf

There you also see that the tennis is very central and close to the central station (it is on the blue line U1). I would say it is max. 5-10 minutes from the city by metro to the tennis :) So very close :)

If you have more questions, feel free to ask :)

Btw, quite funny...I was also in Monte Carlo last week :) Though I must admit I already had better weather there than this year ;)

irish_mike
05-02-2008, 12:37 PM
Thanks for your info, it will be nice to see Hamburg, and also hope the final will go the full way. Do you go to allot of the tennis.

Monte Carlo-- I had a great time at the CC in Monte Carlo, and cant wait to go back next year, great views on the bus from Nice:):)

moulux
05-03-2008, 10:27 AM
i'm going too for wednesday and thurseday,it will be my first time in Hamburg, thanks a lot for information :wavey:

Yappa
05-03-2008, 11:54 AM
I'll be there, obviously (I live in Hamburg). The first Sunday for sure, and probably on 2-3 more other days.

irish_mike
05-03-2008, 01:13 PM
I'll be there, obviously (I live in Hamburg). The first Sunday for sure, and probably on 2-3 more other days.

any good tours of the city we can do after the tennis?

Truc
05-03-2008, 01:17 PM
I'll be there on Sunday & Monday, maybe longer depending on my work load during that week.

moulux
05-03-2008, 06:00 PM
:Dwill be nice to meet up some of you there!!

Sommarsverige
05-03-2008, 07:22 PM
I'll be there on Sunday & Monday, maybe longer depending on my work load during that week.

Cool to hear that you are coming, Francoise, and we will meet again :)

davis
05-03-2008, 07:40 PM
any good tours of the city we can do after the tennis?

If the weather is good, a Hamburg "must" is a harbor boat trip. They start at the Landungsbrücken (take the train to the stop with the same name, e.g. train S 1 or U 3).

There are double decker busses that do city tours (like in most big towns). You buy a ticket for the day and then you can step in and out of the bus at the various stops, like the Rathaus (town house, nice tours inside) or the Michel (biggest church in Hamburg). A good place to start for that are the Landungsbrücken as well.

Another fun thing to do is to get a "look from the top" by going into the air in a hot air balloon. The balloon is chained to the ground, so you go up to about 150 m and can enjoy the view over Hamburg (only in good weather!). Costs 15 €. Train stop Steinstraße (train U 1).

Walking around the Alster lake in good weather is very popular in Hamburg. The lake is about 5 min. away from the tennis stadium, so if you need a break it's a good place to relax.

In the evening, pretty much everybody goes to the Reeperbahn (train S 1 to the station with the same name) for dancing and drinking. Also nice for that is the Schanzenviertel (train stop "Sternschanze"). For those who are in Hamburg during the Qualis: the Harbor Festival is going on, lots of drinking and partying, starting (again) at Landungsbrücken.

Should be enough for a quick overview.;)
I'll be around for the whole duration of the tourney, together with some international guests. Anybody who feels lonely, feel free to join us.

Sunset of Age
05-03-2008, 07:49 PM
Hello Folks! :wavey:

I'm thinking of going... but it will depend on whether I can find a place to stay!
Can anyone here give some advice on that? I wouldn't even mind just a camping site, as I'll happily bring along my tent...

Please PM me if you know anything.
Thanks in advance.

irish_mike
05-04-2008, 12:31 PM
thats great help, i'll take some notes:):)

it will be nice to see some of the city, when i'm in town. Its good to get around when you travel to sports events.

micheal

[/I]
If the weather is good, a Hamburg "must" is a harbor boat trip. They start at the Landungsbrücken (take the train to the stop with the same name, e.g. train S 1 or U 3).

There are double decker busses that do city tours (like in most big towns). You buy a ticket for the day and then you can step in and out of the bus at the various stops, like the Rathaus (town house, nice tours inside) or the Michel (biggest church in Hamburg). A good place to start for that are the Landungsbrücken as well.

Another fun thing to do is to get a "look from the top" by going into the air in a hot air balloon. The balloon is chained to the ground, so you go up to about 150 m and can enjoy the view over Hamburg (only in good weather!). Costs 15 €. Train stop Steinstraße (train U 1).

Walking around the Alster lake in good weather is very popular in Hamburg. The lake is about 5 min. away from the tennis stadium, so if you need a break it's a good place to relax.

In the evening, pretty much everybody goes to the Reeperbahn (train S 1 to the station with the same name) for dancing and drinking. Also nice for that is the Schanzenviertel (train stop "Sternschanze"). For those who are in Hamburg during the Qualis: the Harbor Festival is going on, lots of drinking and partying, starting (again) at Landungsbrücken.

Should be enough for a quick overview.;)
I'll be around for the whole duration of the tourney, together with some international guests. Anybody who feels lonely, feel free to join us.

irish_mike
05-07-2008, 02:10 PM
Any one from Ireland going to the tennis in hamburg, sometimes I meet Irish people at tennis gigs.....

kiwi10is
05-07-2008, 04:02 PM
well I am not Irish but I love Ireland very very much and I will be in Hamburg from Saturday until Tuesday!! :wavey:

irish_mike
05-07-2008, 04:52 PM
i'm going over on thursday, and it will be great to see hamburg

Jimnik
05-08-2008, 11:58 PM
Just received my tickets through the mail. Got my flight booked and my hostel reservation. Everything is set. :)

Can't wait.

irish_mike
05-10-2008, 11:59 PM
it was hard to find a hotel in the city..

looks like its going to be full lol

should be good fun

Shaz
05-11-2008, 05:48 PM
I'm in Bremen and my semester ticket is valid for travelling to the Hamburg main station (YAY!!) so I'll be coming on Wednesday,Thursday and Friday. Maybe Tuesday and the finals day as well... depends on the work load in the university.
So far,I have bought tickets for Friday only. Dunno if I will be able to get tickets now. What are the chances of buying the tickets on the day?