new strings. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

new strings.

vonster92
02-21-2008, 03:37 PM
Anyone had the chance to try out Prince's new "Recoil" strings? They seem very interesting, considering how the "return back to their original position after every hit". Just wondering if this is true, and how much power&spin is available with this string.

Sorry for all the questions; when it comes to strings, I am a complete novice :P. Also, what would be a good stringing tension for Prince premier softflex strings?

jazar
02-21-2008, 06:05 PM
i havent hit with prince recoil due to its lack of availability in the uk. but its really just like a polyester string, in that it returns to its original position, its ust more expensive. you may as well save money and buy a reasonably soft polyester.

a good tension is as tight as you feel you can still hit to a good length. its a personal thing, but if you really want a recomendationm i would suggest around 55/56

vonster92
02-21-2008, 07:26 PM
wow! 55 56? really? ive always gotten my synthetic guy strung @ 65. but i dont know squat about strings and tension. lol

jazar
02-21-2008, 08:36 PM
well, if you've always had synthetics strung that tight, keep going for that cos that'll be what you're used to and comfortable with

vonster92
02-21-2008, 10:02 PM
well its rather odd with me. when i first got a racket restrung i got it strung @ 65 lbs. prince synthetic gut, however, it was strung @ Dick's Sporting Goods. and those idiots CAN NOT STRING RACKETS PROPERLY, because my tennis coach used a gauge to measure my sticks tension, and the numbers on every string were soooooo far apart. 50 lbs. 60lbs on one string 69 on another. it was ridiculous! and i didnt know tht 65 was to tight until my new high school coach told me he got one of his rackets strung @ 65 lbs and said it hit like a backboard, flat, and no spin generation at all! He recommended 62lbs for my next string job. Would you think thats adequate for my style of play? Aggressive Base lining with exceptional power and spin?

jazar
02-21-2008, 10:16 PM
if you have lots of power then a tighter tension is better cos it'll give you more control

vonster92
02-21-2008, 10:19 PM
well i mean i don't have like BLAZING CRAZY 100MPH WINNER HITTING power. but i dont puss around when i hit the ball lol. :-P

jazar
02-21-2008, 10:28 PM
its best to try a range of tensions and find out what suits you

vonster92
02-22-2008, 11:27 PM
alright. thanks. im thinking something around 60 lbs @ the moment.

FootWork
04-07-2008, 04:54 PM
i have mine strung at 59. i play with the babolat pure drive, with the cortex thing. and i'm using the babolat tour strings. i'm thinking about getting new strings but i don't know what i want. i was thinking synthetic gut but i'm not quite sure what i want.

jazar
04-07-2008, 06:21 PM
i'm thinking about getting new strings but i don't know what i want.

if you dont give an idea of what you want, then no one can really recommend anything.

first of all, there are a couple of questions you could answer:

how often do you play?
do you want control/playability/durability/power/comfort?
do you hit with any kind of spin?

FootWork
04-07-2008, 08:04 PM
how often do you play?
do you want control/playability/durability/power/comfort?
do you hit with any kind of spin?

i'm a highschool varsity player, i play in the CSL (one of the most competitive in the midwest :P )

i play everyday, i need control, because i already have a lot of power, comfort isn't really a big issue, but i obviously don't want to kill my self, i don't understand what people mean when they say "playability"
and i'm looking for strings that help with spin. i saw that some strings are textured to help grip the ball and generate more spin, i was wondering if that really worked? and i usually hit with mediocre amounts of topspin. less on my backhand because it's one-handed.

(i also don't have very much $$$)

jazar
04-08-2008, 09:02 AM
well, if you want control and spin then you are looking at polyester strings. if you dont have much cash to spend on them, then maybe look at signum pro poly plasma hextreme, topspin cyberflash or pro supex big ace

FootWork
04-09-2008, 01:51 AM
thanks a bunch i'll check it out