help please! need various opinions on numerous racquets! =/ [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

help please! need various opinions on numerous racquets! =/

vonster92
02-20-2008, 02:49 PM
OK, so I need a few opinions on which racquet i should purchase. I just recently bought a prince O3 red, and it is still not strung because im felling slightly skeptical on keeping it. Im interested in the O3 speedport black or the O3 speedport tour. Also, i visited a local tennis shop and was recommended the head microgel extreme team racquet. So my question is, if any one here either owns, or has demoed any of these four sticks. Also, im curious to see if anyone has any recommendations on which of these i should demo b4 purchasing, for i do not intend on demoing 3 sticks at a time.
Thanks for reading
:)

jazar
02-20-2008, 06:14 PM
well, you're looking at quite a wide range of rackets there.

the microgel extreme team is an oversize and is reasonably light. i've hit with it and i found it a really nice racket, despite the fact i use an i.prestige. given the other rackets you seem interested in, i would say the standard microgel extreme may be a better bet.

the o3 red is a true womans racket. i hit with it for about 1 minute and have refused to hit with it since, as i hate o3. if you're desperate for a prince racket the speedport black would be the best bet. its a good head size and weight and you can customise it with your choice of speedports or normal grommets. given the other rackets you're looking at, i wouldnt bother with the speedport tour.

personally i reckon you should demo the speedport black and the standard microgel extreme, as they have similar specifications

vonster92
02-20-2008, 07:20 PM
thanks. haha didnt know the o3 was a "true womans racket" lmao.

but ok ill take your word for it and try and demo the sp blk and microgel extreme.

i have to ask though, truly whats the difference between the extreme and the extreme team?

jazar
02-20-2008, 08:56 PM
the microgel extreme is 100 sq inch head, weighs about 315g, is slightly head heavy and rather stiff.
the microgel extreme team is 107 sq inch, weighs about 285g, i slightly head heavy and is very flexible

vonster92
02-21-2008, 03:32 PM
so basically. the extreme is a more power oriented stick for singles?
while the extreme team is a more controlling, forgiving racket for doubles?
thats what im guessing.
oh and by any chance, have you, or has anyone you knew demoed from tenniswarehouse.com?

jazar
02-21-2008, 06:08 PM
so basically. the extreme is a more power oriented stick for singles?
while the extreme team is a more controlling, forgiving racket for doubles?
thats what im guessing.
oh and by any chance, have you, or has anyone you knew demoed from tenniswarehouse.com?

the smaller the head size the more control you get, provided you have good timing. the microgel extreme will be a more powerful stick provided you have a reasonably long swing

if you want opinions on tennis warehouse, check out tt.tennis-warehouse.com, its their forum

vonster92
02-21-2008, 07:27 PM
thanks. and yes i have an account on tennis warehouse forums. they are a really good help, as are all of you guys on this forum. i just need to go somewhere and demo 2-3 sticks. =-p

jazar
02-21-2008, 08:34 PM
from all the feedback i've heard tennis warehouse run an excellent demo service

vonster92
02-21-2008, 10:02 PM
ok, thanks. i might have to look into that. :)

vonster92
02-21-2008, 10:07 PM
yay! they have the s.p. blk in stock to demo! should i get the string hole insert or the string port inserts in my demo? sorry for heckling you with questions...=/

jazar
02-21-2008, 10:14 PM
i thought they would offer both at the same time; thats what we do at the store i work at. but if you only get one of them, then you have to make a decision as to whether you want the larger sweetspot and increased aerodynamics provided by the speedports or just the increased aerodynamics from the string hole inserts. i personally would never use the speedport insert and would go for the one with grommets as i hate having the larger sweetspot

vonster92
02-22-2008, 11:29 PM
ok...well what is the disadvantage of having a larger sweetspot?

jazar
02-23-2008, 10:57 AM
having a larger sweetspot gives you a greater area on the stringbed where you can hit the ball cleanly, making it easier to use. however it also gives you less control.

vonster92
02-23-2008, 01:46 PM
ok thanks you for all the help! :)) i REALLY APPRECIATE IT! nice to talk to someone who actually knows what they are talking about! :)

jazar
02-23-2008, 05:45 PM
no problem at all