Bad Serve - Golfer's Elbow - Videos - HELP! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Bad Serve - Golfer's Elbow - Videos - HELP!

Apache1127
02-19-2008, 10:13 AM
Short Background Story: I am right handed and I play right handed. However, I developed bad golfer's elbow (inner tennis elbow) about 9 months ago and like an idiot I played through it and hurt it to a point that it's chronic. The golfer's elbow DEFINITELY developed because of my serve. Because of this, I started serving with my left arm and tried to concentrate more on proper form so I wouldn't develop the injury again. However, after about a month of serving with my left arm, I am starting to feel the same "golfer's elbow" pain in my left arm now too.

I only really feel the pain when I start to serve the ball harder.

I have uploaded some videos on YouTube of me serving in slow motion. If any of you can check out the videos and offer some suggestions as to WHY the golfer's elbow is starting to affect my left arm I would be VERY appreciative. I know it has something to do with my form but I can't troubleshoot the problem. I would visit a pro, but I am living in Vietnam now and there is nobody available to help here.

Thanks in advance, here are the videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpmApqxGF3w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftuGqJPTJ2Q

martine2
02-19-2008, 10:17 AM
I guess you should post this in "General Player talk" ;)

alansk
02-19-2008, 10:18 AM
Foot fault :p

Apache1127
02-19-2008, 10:19 AM
Oh sorry, I'm new to the forum. How do I move it?

baghdatis
02-19-2008, 10:24 AM
Mods will do that mate ;)

David Kenzie
02-19-2008, 12:23 PM
You seem to use too much strength with your hitting arm. If you want to hit hard, try tossing the ball just slightly more to the left (between 11 and 12 o'clock) and hit it higher and more in front. I would suggest working on your ball toss.

Another thing which might help is keeping your non hitting arm aiming upwards for longer. You seem to drop it too soon resulting in more stress on your hitting arm.

Bernard Black
02-21-2008, 12:35 PM
Sorry, don't really know any technical advice to give you - I'm sure someone around here will.

I'm really impressed how you can co-ordinate your serve so well in your off-hand though!

sheeter
03-01-2008, 02:34 AM
Watch the foot faults.

Topspin Sports
03-12-2008, 04:42 AM
Apache,

I am a tennis pro and Im going to reveal a something that might surprise you. Although the elbow hurts when you are serving, im afraid the form of your serve has NOTHING to do with it.

1. The form on your serve isnt affecting your elbow, its actually pretty decent. (of course I could give you some pointers if you need them but thats not what your looking for in this forum anyway)

2. Chances are if the pain had something to do with your form, then it would hurt on slow and hard serves. I have a torn labrum (shoulder tear) and it hurts when I serve hard, but not soft. This doesnt mean there is a problem with form, it just means I need to take it easy.

Anyway, I think you should look into doing/trying out serveral things.

First, You should make sure your grip is not too small. The cause of many elbow injuries in tennis is related to grip size. If you cant fit a finger inbetween I would use a larger grip.
Secondly, Try switching racquets. You may be using a stiff racquet which in turn could be causing you pain.
Thirdly, switch to a softer string (absolutly do NOT use Babolat Pro Hurricane or Luxilon Big Banger)
Lastly, Relax your arm when you serve and loosen up your grip. You are squeezing tightly (Yes I can even tell in slow motion). When you relax your arm your body does not resist the forward motion, the less resistance the more "whip like" motion your arm will have. This will produce more power with less effort and hopefully less pain.

If you have any interest in getting more of an evalution you should check out our site. Go directly to the ask-a-pro section on the top and go from there.

Hopefully this was helped!