tennis stringing machines = linear vs swivel clamping methods [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

tennis stringing machines = linear vs swivel clamping methods

cvbinrichmond
02-11-2008, 02:18 AM
Can anyone tell me the difference and advantages...disadvantages...which is prefered of these two systems. I am considering buying either a Gamma 5003 swivel clamp system, or a Prince/Ektelon Neos 1000 machine with two bars that the clamps are on. I understand you have to detach one of the rods and ??? replace it when you do the crosses...??? Is this correct and how much trouble. Is it worth it... the Neos 1000 is considered to be the flagship of the non electronic tech. as I understand it.
Thanks.

cvbinrichmond
02-12-2008, 12:12 PM
I have received good advice and now am somewhat more familiar with the two different systems. I think either one would be very acceptable. Thanks.
Now my search begins in earnest. Is someone familiar with the Pros Pro line of stringers or the Silent Partner line? I know more about Silent Partner than the other, but would still like advice. I don't know how easily I could get service or replacement parts for the Pros Pro. I think they may be German. I understand that Wise Tension heads sell the Pros Pro with a 2086 on it for $845. Does anyone know of a less expernsive alternative with the Wise stringer?
Help... Thanks.
One more thought and thats it. I may just go with the Gamma 5003 Professional stand up model and later add the Wise to it when finances are better. Thoughts?

jazar
02-12-2008, 04:39 PM
although prince neos machines are very good, i much prefer the swivel clamp machines as they are what i'm used to and find them easier to use.

when i was buying my machine i looked at pro's pro. the feedback on their machines was so-so, with some people absolutely loving them, but others hating them due to their unreliability and lack of customer service. i tried out one of their machines as well and it was the worst i have ever used, so that put me right off it.

though i have never used a silent partner machine, due to their lack of availability in the uk, a friend of mine has one as says its very good, provided you arent going to be stringing on it all day

cvbinrichmond
02-13-2008, 04:50 AM
Thanks for the info. That is what I am afraid of for Pros Pro. I have almost made up my mind, but not quite. I am in a smaller circle of possibilities, but at the same time, not quite sure. I hate to go on at this time, as it is not so much a matter of brands, but rather a combination of things such as do I want to max out moneywise and get a standing machine with a crank and later get a wise 2086, or go with a less expensive tabletop with a motor, but not linear pull. The brands are pretty well narrowed to Alpha, Silent Partner, Gamma. I am almost at the point of going Gamma 5003 and waiting a while to add the Wise head to it. It looks like a very substantial machine and it has been rated by many, including, I believe, Tennis.com as a very good machine. I chatted with Tim at Grand Slammers and he thinks that I would not go wrong with either Gamma or Alpha. He knows the Alpha rep and says their service is super and I am going to talk to him. Guess you cant have $$$ machines for $ dollars.
Thanks for your feedback.
Cary

jazar
02-13-2008, 08:58 AM
i think gamma machines are wicked. if i'd had a bit more money to spend on my machine then i would have bought a gamma