Coria's new coach: Markus [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Coria's new coach: Markus

akin
06-16-2004, 08:12 AM
Markus will meet Guillermo Coria in London and he will be his coach until the end of 2004. http://www.lanacion.com

alita
06-16-2004, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the information, but I cann't understand spanish on that website. :D

xOxTanyaxOx
06-16-2004, 11:50 AM
alita you can use the translator from google:):) just thought it might help.

~ akin thank you. i see your from singapore like me!! what school do u go to?

star
06-16-2004, 12:28 PM
What I got out of it with my very rudimentary and poor spanish is that Guille will work with Gabriel Markus, the former coach of Nalbandian who most recently coached Massu, beginning at Wimbledon and going until December.

alita
06-16-2004, 12:32 PM
Ok, I'll try, thx!

star
06-16-2004, 12:43 PM
Here is the google translated article.

The ex- trainer of Nalbandian will work with Nş 3 of the world from Wimbledon; the bond will be until December was Tuesday more than special for Guillermo Coria. Because after the blow of the end of Roland Garros and the later defeat in its debut in Queen?s, N° 3 of the world was eeted again with the victory in the Dutch turf of S?Hertogenbosch when eliminating the Slovak Karol Beck by 6-3 and 6-3. That was, in addition, his first victory in grass, as the own Coria confirmed. But beyond the important psychic envión, the Argentinean lived a day on definitions as far as his future, since after several days of conversations, Gabriel Markus became his new trainer, with whom he will work for the first time in Wimbledon, third match of Grand Slam of the season that will begin next Monday. After falling with Gastón Gaudio in the Opened one of France, Coria culminated its relation with Fabian Blengino, who lead it from the quarterfinals of the ATP of Buenos Aires, in last February. Markus, of 34 years, at the moment leads to Juan Ignacio Chela, who will become the new fellow traveller of Coria, in an agreement that will unite them, at first, until next December. Like professional player, the new trainer of the finalist of Roland Garros was the only Argentinean who could overcome the North American Pete Sampras, in the semifinal of Nize 1992, test that was into the hands of Markus, formed as tennis player in Racinales Sports. Like trainer, Markus counts on a successful trajectory. In 2000, it took to David Nalbandian near the position 300ş and in two seasons and average, it not only obtained that the Cordovan became the first Argentinean finalist in Wimbledon, but that, in addition, was the first one they top-ten after 11 years. After breaking contact itself with Nalbandian, Markus worked with the Chilean Nicholas Massú - he was 10° in this season and with Chela, that the best performance of its race two weeks ago obtained, in Roland Garros, when it reached the quarterfinals. Returning to the contest of Holland, equipped with 500,000 dollars in prizes, Coria it will have like adversary to the German Michael Kohlmann; Guillermo Canes, finalist in 2001, defeated the Russian Nikolay Davydenko and today he will be moderate with the Spanish Tommy Robredo.

Guille's Girl
06-16-2004, 01:01 PM
Ouch. WELL I got some sense out of that :) Thanks Star. sounds like a good coach ya, for just 6 months.

alita
06-16-2004, 01:13 PM
Thanks star! GG, maybe they'll continue their relationship if they work well.

tennyfan
06-16-2004, 01:21 PM
I think Guille is holding out for Agassi's coach and trainer to work with him "until he retires". But that means he has to wait until Agassi retires, which some think with the hip injury will be the end of this season. We'll see.

xOxTanyaxOx
06-16-2004, 01:30 PM
oo thnx for the info;):)

Guille's Girl
06-16-2004, 02:30 PM
Damnit!!!! Canas just lost to Robredo!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: Oh well....

Ma. Estefania
06-17-2004, 12:05 AM
I like Markus, he made Massú to improve a lot, so it sounds like a good coach for Guille.

I just hope they can get along through these 6 months, and that the results can come. :)

xOxTanyaxOx
06-17-2004, 02:54 AM
if markus helped coria for the ordina open..things look pretty good to me so far then:)

kandykane
06-17-2004, 05:36 AM
i think he's going start to work with him at wimbledon, and he shares him with some1 else, i think it's chela, that's what he said on his site.

alita
06-17-2004, 09:19 AM
Guill said something about his new coach. http://eurosport.com/home/pages/V4/L0/S57/E6190/sport_Lng0_Spo57_Evt6190_Sto602706.shtml
"My new coach is my countryman Gabriel Makus," the world number three said.

"We will begin to work together next Monday, when Wimbledon begins.

"Gabriel knows tons about tennis and he is very responsible. There is not much more to say because the results he has obtained speak for themselves.

"Those results were with great tennis players like Juan-Ignacio Chela, with whom I will share Gabriel, David Nalbandian and Nicolas Massu among others."

Coria said his agreement with Makus is until December but stressed that he hoped he would work with his compatriot until he retires.

"Luckily we had everything settled quickly, because it is not good not having a coach," he said on his website.

Coria split with Blengino following his heartbreaking loss in Paris two weeks ago.

He had led compatriot Gaston Gaudio by two sets to love in the Roland Garros final before letting victory slip away and had sobbed uncontrollably afterwards.

The clay-courter insists his decision to part with Blengino had nothing to do with that defeat, however, and nor was it prompted by his opening loss at the Queen's Club.

"The agreement with Fabian was just to Paris," the 22-year-old said.

"Even though the relationship was very good, I felt it was time to set a team in place that can stay together until the end of my career... that is why I decided not to be with him anymore."

Blengino guided Coria to the Buenos Aires Open and Monte Carlo Masters titles this year, and to the finals of the Miami and Hamburg Masters.

The Argentine is honing his grass-court skills in the Netherlands this week where he made a late decision to enter the Ordina Open in Den Bosch. Wimbledon begins on June 21.