Shin-Splints ? [Archive] -

Shin-Splints ?

01-29-2008, 09:03 PM
Hi, recently after playing tennis i have often got pains below my knee and i was wondering if anyone on here suffered from shin-splints. Also as i am not sure if that is the case with me i was wondering what type of pain you recieve and how bad it is and what do you use in order to treat it or aid it ?


01-29-2008, 09:33 PM
Wrong forum but.. I used to have problems with my shins whilst playing football/tennis, however I realised that it always occurred if I had began a new jogging regime. After speaking to the guy who ran the gym that I went to I was advised to buy a special pair of trainers because having shin problems is often due to the way you plant your foot whilst running/jogging etc. I ended up getting a pair of asics trainers that are made to force you to plant your foot properly; I haven't experienced any problems since.

When you say pain do you experience a burning sensation as if your shins are inflamed?

01-29-2008, 10:15 PM
Is it in an isolated area? If it's directly below your knee it might be indicative of a different problem altogether.

01-30-2008, 08:11 PM
If it it where you knee cap finish, kind of one sore spot it maybe patellar tendonitis which is pretty common in tennis playes

01-30-2008, 09:37 PM
I am always injured but have had shin splints very few times, it is pretty common for people who do excessive amounts of running or even running more times than you usually do.