Is Rafa's ranking in jeopardy...? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Is Rafa's ranking in jeopardy...?

Tnn74
01-25-2008, 09:57 PM
:scared: Considering the vast rise of Nole, I am a little concerned that his ranking is in jeopardy here... in any case, of course Djoker still has points to defend as well, but his run to the AO Final (and possibly favored in winning it) and consistent game, especially on HC, will hugely narrow the gap :shrug:

Metis
01-25-2008, 10:25 PM
NO!

This reminds me of the Fedtards starting to panic last season before the Wimbledon final :p.

Look at this:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=6488891&postcount=188

hra87
01-25-2008, 10:32 PM
There's actually a pretty interesting possibility. If Djokovic starts beating Roger on hard more and Rafa continues to dominate clay and then wins Wimbledon, Djokovic could suck up enough points from Roger to give Rafa #1 briefly, and then there would be a 3-way mixup for a while later.

That'd be interesting...

Actually, thinking about it, that doesn't make sense, since the tournaments Djokovic did well in Roger did poorly, for the most part.

Edit: OR, better yet, Djokovic and Roger could suddenly, magically, collapse.

Tnn74
01-25-2008, 10:38 PM
Edit: OR, better yet, Djokovic and Roger could suddenly, magically, collapse.

;) in either case, there could be a possibility here...

NaDALiTa
01-25-2008, 11:47 PM
Novak's performances aren't "balanced",one day he is good,the other crap etc... from what i saw during this AO we don't have to be worried about Rafa's fitness,so there's no reasons for him to be worried at the classification by Nole.

hra87
01-26-2008, 04:01 AM
Novak's performances aren't "balanced",one day he is good,the other crap etc... from what i saw during this AO we don't have to be worried about Rafa's fitness,so there's no reasons for him to be worried at the classification by Nole.

I disagree, I think Djokovic is increadibly consistent (outside of the end of last year, but that was clearly just a collapse from physical and mental exhaustian, not a big deal), which is why he's such a threat. He's no Gasquet.

vampyre
01-26-2008, 05:47 AM
not a problem!!!!(yet...)
i checked last nite

1. Roger Federer 6630
2. Rafael Nadal 5980
3. Novak Djokvic 4868(runner up) or 5165(champ)

i'm sure Nadal will be doing well this year,
even thou he lost to Tsonga in the AO,
he looks like he's in shape, pretty good start this year actually :yeah:

the_natural
01-26-2008, 07:15 AM
Im actually worried cos Tsonga just adds to the list of players that Can take the match away from rafa on a fast surface, theres nothing he can do to stop murray, nole, nalby, tsonga and now even federer (which is sickening) except grind himself to the bone.

The problem i see is his Heavy reliance on his Clay court results he has to win something like 2 masters, RG, and like 4 other clay court events plus one masters final. Hes got to win Indian Wells again, make the Quarters of Miami,finals wimbledon, canada semis and then the pressures off really until after the USO where hes got Quarters and Finals Points to defend plus hes gotta make the YEC semi again. With all these guys coming up (Oh i forgot Bag and Hewitt are playing much better again and so is safin) its gonna be hard trekking for Rafa to defend his non-clay court titles... (Oh and youhzny and blake how could i forget them? Plus the intangibles like Berdych and Moya and ferrer)...

The one thing im hoping for is that Rafa is gonna kill when he gets on clay just on pure adrenaline like last year, All i could think about in the tsonga match was what i thought rafa might be thinking "Im gonna kill you during the Clay court season", I really hope he does, would love to see him win RG without dropping a set.

FedFan_2007
01-26-2008, 07:34 AM
Fedal fans unite and make a stand against the Djokerbitch! The classy duopoly at the top known as Fedal should not accede their rightful place to the jerk Djokerbitch!

l_mac
01-26-2008, 03:50 PM
Im actually worried cos Tsonga just adds to the list of players that Can take the match away from rafa on a fast surface, theres nothing he can do to stop murray, nole, nalby, tsonga and now even federer (which is sickening) except grind himself to the bone.

Murray and Nole are not players who take the match away from Rafa on a fast surface.

Go away, FedTard2000.

Xristos
01-26-2008, 04:07 PM
Fedal fans unite and make a stand against the Djokerbitch! The classy duopoly at the top known as Fedal should not accede their rightful place to the jerk Djokerbitch!

Agreed!

cmurray
01-26-2008, 04:39 PM
umm...Murray has never beaten Rafa. :confused: I don't think I'd put him on the list of guys who can take matches from Rafa. And the wins weren't even on clay.

Foxy
01-26-2008, 05:42 PM
I am not also considering Blake to be a threat that much. They haven't played since MastersCup2006. And it was a close match. Rafa led by two breaks in the second set. About Youzhny - I think odds are 50/50 or 60/40 in favor of Rafa on hard.

FedFan_2007
01-26-2008, 09:03 PM
I really don't like "Nole" very much at all. His idiot mother in particular arranging the lettered T-shirts is way over the top and classless. I hope Tsonga puts a serious beatdown on the Serbian jerk. One thing I like about the Rafa camp is Uncle Toni applauds the really excellent shots by the opponent, whoever they may be. All class in Team Rafa. In fact, I'm rooting for Rafa to win from now on if it's vs Djoko and/or it would hurt Djoko in the rankings.

Sunset of Age
01-26-2008, 11:42 PM
I really don't like "Nole" very much at all. His idiot mother in particular arranging the lettered T-shirts is way over the top and classless. I hope Tsonga puts a serious beatdown on the Serbian jerk. One thing I like about the Rafa camp is Uncle Toni applauds the really excellent shots by the opponent, whoever they may be. All class in Team Rafa. In fact, I'm rooting for Rafa to win from now on if it's vs Djoko and/or it would hurt Djoko in the rankings.

FedFan_2007... though personally I'd have worded it a mite differently, I have to admit I like this post of yours very, very much! :hatoff:

Tnn74
01-26-2008, 11:49 PM
FedFan_2007... though personally I'd have worded it a mite differently, I have to admit I like this post of yours very, very much! :hatoff:

:lol: Me too!
Although I must admit I squirm at every "intelligent" insight posted by FedTard 2007, and I still haven't got a clue as to why (s)he's lurking around here, I like that post very much as well ;)

Sunset of Age
01-26-2008, 11:51 PM
:lol: Me too!
Although I must admit I squirm at every "intelligent" insight posted by FedTard 2007, and I still haven't got a clue as to why (s)he's lurking around here, I like that post very much as well ;)

As a lawyer, I tend to give anyone the benefit of the doubt... :cool:
Something tells me FedFan_2007 likes Rafa more than he/she is able to admit right now. :D

Tnn74
01-26-2008, 11:54 PM
As a lawyer, I tend to give anyone the benefit of the doubt... :cool:
Something tells me FedFan_2007 likes Rafa more than he/she is able to admit right now. :D

...and I wouldn't blame him/her one bit :angel:

l_mac
01-27-2008, 12:00 AM
Don't be daft, guys. Until Fed lost a couple of days ago he/she was still trolling in this forum. I could not be less interested in encouraging he/she to continue posting in here.

Sunset of Age
01-27-2008, 12:07 AM
Don't be daft, guys. Until Fed lost a couple of days ago he/she was still trolling in this forum. I could not be less interested in encouraging he/she to continue posting in here.

I tend to agree with you, but as long as he/she posts friendly stuff, I don't see any problem here. ;)

l_mac
01-27-2008, 12:11 AM
I tend to agree with you, but as long as he/she posts friendly stuff, I don't see any problem here. ;)

Three days ago I reported one of his/her posts in the AO thread here :shrug: So now because Federer is out as well, and he/she has decided Nole is public enemy #1 he wants to play nice? Don't think so. This thread is about Rafa's ranking, not fedfan's new obsessive hate of Nole.

edit: Wow! What an excellent mood I am in tonight!

Tnn74
01-27-2008, 12:39 AM
Three days ago I reported one of his/her posts in the AO thread here :shrug: So now because Federer is out as well, and he/she has decided Nole is public enemy #1 he wants to play nice? Don't think so. This thread is about Rafa's ranking, not fedfan's new obsessive hate of Nole.

edit: Wow! What an excellent mood I am in tonight!

Agreed. But the troll is not normal in the head.
I'd have to say I'm not surprised...

FedFan_2007
01-27-2008, 01:16 AM
Calm down, Rafa will be fine. He'll hold on to his #2 and we'll have a Fedal final in Indian Wells. I guarantee it.

FedFan_2007
01-27-2008, 01:20 AM
Agreed. But the troll is not normal in the head.
I'd have to say I'm not surprised...

I have to admit I went a bit crazy after Fed's loss, I've never experienced an AO loss as a federer fan, it was very traumatic... But I'm fully recovered now and looking forward to:

1. Tsonga's beatdown of Nole tonight
2. Another year of Fedal domination! I'd even trade FO for Wimbly this year!

platinum
01-27-2008, 03:01 AM
I'm a Rafa/Djokovic fan but I want Rafa to be #1 before Djokovic.

Foxy
01-27-2008, 06:49 AM
I can't trust this guy FedFan_2007 too.
I'd rather he didn't write here anymore.

FedFan_2007
01-27-2008, 07:20 AM
Hey, I'll try to be good from now on. I really like Rafa since last Wimbly.

Castafiore
01-27-2008, 08:32 AM
Disliking Djokovic is not enough reason to post in a fan area of another player IMO. He's not a Nadal fan, he's only posting his "Fedal fans unite" nonsense here. There are other places to do that.

Foxy
01-27-2008, 08:39 AM
Let's not add that this guy jinxed Rafa all over GM along with his fellow mates (Rogifan and some others) and felt proud of that after the loss to Tsonga.

the_natural
01-27-2008, 07:26 PM
Murray and Nole are not players who take the match away from Rafa on a fast surface.

Go away, FedTard2000.

Are U sure about that?? Its just that Rafa hasnt won a set against an inform Djoko on a fast court since IW. Even at wimbledon he lost that first set, and at the YEC he was still in alot of trouble against an exhausted nole. Murray too, although murray isnt as strong on the big points he seems to dictate the match to rafa when on a fast surface, I know the Madrid match was a marked improvement for Rafa, But it was such a struggle for him and murray did have alot of chances to take that match nerves seemed to play a big part in it but Rafa almost cant touch his serve when hes firing and his own serve is destroyed by Murray.

Its as if he wins through sheer force of will.

the_natural
01-27-2008, 07:28 PM

"Your enemies enemy is your friend"... or something like that no? Im sure a year ago it would have been that Rafa has no class with all his first pumping and what not. :rolleyes:

the_natural
01-27-2008, 07:33 PM
Let's not add that this guy jinxed Rafa all over GM along with his fellow mates (Rogifan and some others) and felt proud of that after the loss to Tsonga.

Exactly, hes probably 14 or something and thinks that we are idiots and we'd believe that he actually likes rafa, rafas the lesser of 2 evils because fans of the swiss miss know that Rafa is having trouble on the fast surfaces whereas djoko can beat possibly anyone on a fast surface which is where Cow Bell gets all his ranking points, had Rafa won wimbledon last year then none of them would spout this "fedal" crap and Miss Switzerland wouldnt be praising Rafa as a great champion and awesome player for "Making you win every point and play every ball" blah blah blah (which was in stark contrast to his "nothing special about his game, hes just very consistent like hewitt, he cant blast you off the court like myself or safin or roddick" :rolleyes: )

FedFan_2007
01-27-2008, 08:02 PM
"Your enemies enemy is your friend"... or something like that no? Im sure a year ago it would have been that Rafa has no class with all his first pumping and what not. :rolleyes:

I was ragging on Rafa until the Wimbly final. That loss humbled him a bit. Since then I've been solidly on the Fedal bandwagon! Peace Rafa fans! Our mission is to be united in the common cause of bringing the Djokerbitch down a few pegs. The idea of Djoker ruling tennis is too horrible to imagine.

Tnn74
01-27-2008, 09:31 PM
shut up Fedtard and quit trolling here...
We are not interested in your Fedal crap nor are we interested in your hatred towards Nole :rolleyes:

Stop this nonsense about trading a FO/Wimbly
...Federer will never win at Roland Garros as long as The King of Clay is around! :rocker2:

Now go away.

FedFan_2007
01-27-2008, 10:08 PM
shut up Fedtard and quit trolling here...
We are not interested in your Fedal crap nor are we interested in your hatred towards Nole :rolleyes:

Stop this nonsense about trading a FO/Wimbly
...Federer will never win at Roland Garros as long as The King of Clay is around! :rocker2:

Now go away.

Your Fed-hating friend RFK was banned. You better be careful. Most Rafa fans like Roger. You're in the distinct minority.

Tnn74
01-27-2008, 10:35 PM
:rolleyes: I don't care... I dislike Federer... let it be known :ras:

Sunset of Age
01-27-2008, 10:55 PM
Disliking Djokovic is not enough reason to post in a fan area of another player IMO. He's not a Nadal fan, he's only posting his "Fedal fans unite" nonsense here. There are other places to do that.

I'd like to know *where*, to be honest. ;) :angel: - apart from that place that's already part of my signature. :p

I was ragging on Rafa until the Wimbly final. That loss humbled him a bit. Since then I've been solidly on the Fedal bandwagon! Peace Rafa fans! Our mission is to be united in the common cause of bringing the Djokerbitch down a few pegs. The idea of Djoker ruling tennis is too horrible to imagine.

Okay you FedFan_2007 - as I'm no psychiatrist, I really don't know which diagnosis to put on you. You once said you'd kill yourself when Rogi would lose his #1 position to Rafa, didn't you? :confused:

And as of now, it looks to me as if you think you'll gain acknowledgement on this board by venting your Djoko-hatred about everywhere right now... I have to admit I don't particularly like Djoko myself either, but aren't you just trying to jump on any a bandwagon - either positive or negative - that comes along? It's better to just Stand Your Ground, IMHO - whatever that may mean. :cool:

I don't hate you - HATING people is not one of my proficiencies :angel: - but just some bit of advice I'd like to give you: make up your mind, stand by your ground, however many people will question you. Let me tell you - I've been there myself quite a few times before. :D
And if you really decide you finally like Rafa... well, then I'd say there's no problem of you joining in on here. But don't let your feelings be fuelled by hatred for any of the other players - I just think that shouldn't be one's main drive, eh? ;)

It saddens me to read this, but I respect your opinion :hug:. Still I wouldn't be surprised to see many people crying for him to "Come Back!" when he's gone and his position is being taken over by some completely classless player whose name should not be mentioned here any further... :angel:

Tnn74
01-28-2008, 02:16 AM
It saddens me to read this, but I respect your opinion :hug:. Still I wouldn't be surprised to see many people crying for him to "Come Back!" when he's gone and his position is being taken over by some completely classless player whose name should not be mentioned here any further... :angel:

Aww I'm sorry, I respect Federer, but I just dislike the guy :hug:

I totally agree with what you said about his position being taken over by someone completely classless... which is why I am patiently waiting the day Rafa will be the new number one :angel: after all, Roger himself has said if he were to lose the number one ranking, Rafa is the man :yeah:

Sunset of Age
01-28-2008, 04:30 AM
Aww I'm sorry, I respect Federer, but I just dislike the guy :hug:

I totally agree with what you said about his position being taken over by someone completely classless... which is why I am patiently waiting the day Rafa will be the new number one :angel: after all, Roger himself has said if he were to lose the number one ranking, Rafa is the man :yeah:

Thanks dear. Know what? The fact that Roger actually WANTS Rafa to be his follow-up to the #1 position should really make you appreciate the guy, no? :p

Castafiore
01-28-2008, 07:48 AM
I'd like to know *where*, to be honest. ;) :angel: - apart from that place that's already part of my signature. :p
I don't really care, to be honest. Anywhere but here. I just don't buy this "Fedal unite against Novak" nonsense.

If I read more nonsense like that, I may even grow fonder of Novak. :unsure:

Sunset of Age
01-28-2008, 08:37 AM
I don't really care, to be honest. Anywhere but here. I just don't buy this "Fedal unite against Novak" nonsense.

If I read more nonsense like that, I may even grow fonder of Novak. :unsure:

Well, nice for you, Hilde... ;) but in all honesty, I hope the current #1 and #2 manage to maintain their positions as long as possible! :D

The Pro
01-28-2008, 08:56 AM
I like the Fedal against Jokervic nonsense.

Does that make me a bad person? :confused:

Tnn74
01-28-2008, 09:00 AM
Thanks dear. Know what? The fact that Roger actually WANTS Rafa to be his follow-up to the #1 position should really make you appreciate the guy, no? :p

Oh absolutely ;)

Castafiore
01-28-2008, 09:29 AM
I like the Fedal against Jokervic nonsense.

Does that make me a bad person? :confused:
Who said anything about being a bad person?

Just to avoid getting all those Fedal fans on my back :o
It's not about being a Fedal fan not liking Djokovic. If you are, by all means, follow that road.:)

It's just that this particular person does not like Nadal but he just doesn't hate/dislike him as much as he does Djokovic (as far as I can see, that is).
Karin is prepared to give him his 50th second chance (very catholic principle, Karin..."zeven maal zeventig keer vergeven") but I've seen enough of the guy to be more doubtful. He's been banned from TW for extreme Nadal bashing, if I'm not mistaken (correct me if I'm wrong but it's the same guy, right?) and it takes some doing to get banned from that place.
Maybe he proves me wrong. :shrug:

That's about all I'm going to say about him because he's not worth all this hassle.

Boy, I'm in a really sunny mood this monday morning. :p

Sunset of Age
01-28-2008, 09:38 AM
Boy, I'm in a really sunny mood this monday morning. :p

:haha: you surely are, Hilde!
Though we might never agree on certain subjects, let it be clear that I respect your opnion.... :D

Johnny Groove
01-28-2008, 01:38 PM
Your Fed-hating friend RFK was banned. You better be careful. Most Rafa fans like Roger. You're in the distinct minority.

shut the fuck up, you are a fucking idiot, no one likes you, get the hell out of here

yana
01-28-2008, 02:23 PM

You're not in minority...I dislike Mister Perfection on Earth too :angel:

yana
01-28-2008, 02:27 PM
Well, nice for you, Hilde... ;) but in all honesty, I hope the current #1 and #2 manage to maintain their positions as long as possible! :D

Or exchange them :worship:

Tnn74
01-28-2008, 08:19 PM
Or exchange them :worship:

I couldn't agree more :angel:

the_natural
01-29-2008, 10:50 AM
That loss humbled him a bit. Since then I've been solidly on the Fedal bandwagon! The idea of Djoker ruling tennis is too horrible to imagine.

Humbled him?? Quit talkin outta your a%% rafa was plenty humble always has had the highest praise for your swiss mistress, Federina was the one who said that "theres nothing special about Nadal hes just very consistent like hewitt blah blah blah his game is very predictable blah blah blah" after that loss at the 06 french, the win at wimbledon 06 "Humbled" your federer, just as all victories do, ... such a great champion always so "humble" in victory and only ever a bitter whining b!tch in defeat, had rafa won either wimbledon Federer would never have said that he would wish for nadal to take the number 1 spot (if anyone were to take it) he was just playing the role of the a%% kissing media darling.

Federer is nothing more than what is referred to as a clinton-esque Teachers pet, he gives the apple to the teacher so that he can get awa with the occassional snide remarks (put down to "just a bad day:) and says whatever is needed to impress the majority wherever he is (Funny he never ever spoke of rosewall or laver in his career, but when he was in australia trying to get Tony Roche to coach him, The aussie guys had "always been my idols")

Oh yeh and the idea of the djoker ruling tennis is to much of a nightmare thats true for you, so much of a nightmare that you would even rather see rafa be number 1 than a man who straight setted the swiss miss, embarassing at a GS.

the_natural
01-29-2008, 10:54 AM

Go back to that crap whole you call a federer worshiping board, dont come onto RAFAS forum and threaten RAFAS fans, this is a place to talk about RAFA and all things to do with him, not your impulsive Fedal union bs.

Rafa fans can say whatever they want about the competition here and they are safe, so leave ur petty threats.

Oh yeh and Most Rafa fans DONT like "rogi" (Very few genuinely do, and ur not one of those people who supports both), Jesus your Federer fans really are Deluded arent you? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

MariaV
01-29-2008, 11:33 AM
It's FedFan the troll but still.... no need to react to him/her so strongly.
I genuinely like Federer and think he is a wonderful ambassador of tennis.

Foxy
01-29-2008, 03:57 PM
the_natural, I couldn't agree more with you!

Sunset of Age
01-29-2008, 07:38 PM
It's FedFan the troll but still.... no need to react to him/her so strongly.
I genuinely like Federer and think he is a wonderful ambassador of tennis.

Thank you Maria. Good to know there are still friendly and mature people around here.

l_mac
01-29-2008, 07:49 PM
Actually the_natural makes good points. The part about Rafa's W loss "humbling" him had passed me by.

FedTard2000 is a moron and a troll. I suggest totally ignoring any further posts he makes in the forum. He'll be loving all the attention.

Sunset of Age
01-29-2008, 07:54 PM
Actually the_natural makes good points. The part about Rafa's W loss "humbling" him had passed me by.

If people aren't able to post their opinions without using nasty language, showing off illinformed hatred and applying netspeak besides... sorry there's no way for me to take such a person seriously.
Highly uncalled for, just like Maria said.

And I very well know FedFan_2007 is a troll and will indeed further ignore him when trolling in this part of the board.

MariaV
01-30-2008, 06:59 AM
If people aren't able to post their opinions without using nasty language, showing off illinformed hatred and applying netspeak besides... sorry there's no way for me to take such a person seriously.
Highly uncalled for, just like Maria said.

And I very well know FedFan_2007 is a troll and will indeed further ignore him when trolling in this part of the board.

Thanks Karin. Lovely people like you make me stay here. :hug:
And yes, ignoring the trolls is the best IMO.

Getta
02-05-2008, 05:02 AM
... but in all honesty, I hope the current #1 and #2 manage to maintain their positions as long as possible! :D

... Or exchange them :worship:

Karin and Oana, I disagree here. :)

I don't care about Rafa's ranking. All that matters to me is Rafa to stay healthy and happy. I have to admit though that if he could win 4-5 more majors, 1-2 of them preferably out of clay, that would be cool, as his main wish would be fulfilled. That's it. :cool:

I can't get all this obsession with #1. It reminds me the mania that certain mothers have about the grades of their kids. The GPA-mania. In the same time, they miss the main point. :rolleyes: Is the educational system good enough to guarantee that their kids will be great achievers in the future?

Back to tennis. The ideal case for me is the one in which no tennis player stays at #1 more than a few weeks. Prefer the continuous exchange among a "team" of top players. For the sake of the game, "anarchy" is better than "monarchy". :shrug:

Aenea
02-05-2008, 01:14 PM
It is not exactly obsession with #1. Every fan wants to see his favorite at the top of the list. Don't you? In Rafa's profile is written "Rafael Nadal is the first player in the history of the ATP Rankings (since 1973) to finish #2 for 3 consecutive years" Then there is a list of the players who have the most #2 finishes and at the end of that list stands "All but Nadal and Vilas have ranked #1 during their career"
It's kinda disappointing and unfair that the player who managed to hold that #2 position longer than anybody else had never managed to get to the top. Do you understand?
This doesn't have anything to do with parents being obsessed with their children's achievements. IMO this is a very different case.

Tnn74
02-05-2008, 07:58 PM
It is not exactly obsession with #1. Every fan wants to see his favorite at the top of the list. Don't you? In Rafa's profile is written "Rafael Nadal is the first player in the history of the ATP Rankings (since 1973) to finish #2 for 3 consecutive years" Then there is a list of the players who have the most #2 finishes and at the end of that list stands "All but Nadal and Vilas have ranked #1 during their career"
It's kinda disappointing and unfair that the player who managed to hold that #2 position longer than anybody else had never managed to get to the top. Do you understand?
This doesn't have anything to do with parents being obsessed with their children's achievements. IMO this is a very different case.

This is absolutely correct...
We know that Rafa is incredibly talented... I mean, after all, he is only 21! and if it were another era, (the era without Federer) he would have been #1 long ago... I personally would hate to see him being so talented and going on to achieving even more than he already has, possibly outside of clay (which I'm sure he will :angel:) yet, never becoming number 1 in the world :awww: Of course it's important that he's healthy and happy, but I'm sure once he reaches that milestone in his career, it's not like it will hurt ;)

Foxy
02-06-2008, 05:43 AM
Number 1 position should be a goal for any player especially Rafa who is so close. Sometimes I am a little pissed with his defeatful behaviour during a bad loss.

Rog1
02-20-2008, 12:57 PM
Well, I certainly hoope that Rafa can sustain his No2 spot. Novak is a threat, but as long as Rafa can keep his body healthy he will still be a strong No2 and deserves to be too.

Linda (Luton-UK)

platinum
02-24-2008, 08:01 PM
Well, I certainly hoope that Rafa can sustain his No2 spot. Novak is a threat, but as long as Rafa can keep his body healthy he will still be a strong No2 and deserves to be too.

Linda (Luton-UK)

Agree.....

stebs
03-02-2008, 02:32 PM
If you subtract all of Nadal and Djokovic's points between now and post Wimbledon this is what you get:

Nadal 1900
Djokovic 2700

Basically Nadal has to gain 800 ranking points on Djokovic in the time between now and the end of Wimbledon to keep the lead. An Example of how this could be very close:

Djokovic gains 200 points over Dubai, IW and Miami
Nadal gains 450 points over MC, Rome, Hamburg (plus respective optionals)
Nadal gains 550 points at RG (wins with Djoko losing in semi's)

That would leave Nadal exactly 800 points ahead going into the grass season meaning that whoever got more points on grass would be ahead at that point.

It could well be very close.

Truth is, Nadal could well keep his lead comfortably by dominating clay because it seems unlikely Djokovic will be such a force as Federer has been in previous years on clay (finals almost always).

Metis
03-02-2008, 02:35 PM
Thanks stebs.

That's very reassuring :lol:

stebs
03-02-2008, 03:40 PM
Thanks stebs.

That's very reassuring :lol:

Good news for Nadal is that even if Djokovic heads out of Wimbledon as world #2 by a small margin it will all be in Nadal's hands realistically because his performances in the summer hardcourt events were weak. He may not be a hardcourt don but he can certainly improve whereas Djokovic had pretty damn good results.

Margie
03-03-2008, 01:32 AM
Yes Nadals ranking is at jeopardy, Because Nadal won't be number 2, he'll be number 1 for sure! :D:D:D:D:D

Foxy
03-03-2008, 06:47 AM
Yes Nadals ranking is at jeopardy, Because Nadal won't be number 2, he'll be number 1 for sure! :D:D:D:D:D

That's what I am talking about! :devil:

platinum
03-04-2008, 08:45 PM
Federer is going down this year, he won't even make the finals of the FO, the way his baseline play has gotten so bad he will struggle on clay... On HC, Djoker is better than him and at Wimbledon, Rafa or Djoker could very well surprise him....

Tnn74
03-05-2008, 12:20 AM
Federer is going down this year, he won't even make the finals of the FO, the way his baseline play has gotten so bad he will struggle on clay... On HC, Djoker is better than him and at Wimbledon, Rafa or Djoker could very well surprise him....

That may still be up for debate... Roger is too great of a player to lose early consistently in tournaments.. I am sure he will bounce back at IW/Miami... there is no comparison between him and Novak :o
anyway, I'd rather look forward to Rafa improving and winning as opposed to the demise and losses of Roger Federer (although, I must admit, I don't care much for the guy), I still think he is a lot better for the sport than Novak Djokovic, I could be wrong, but eh, as long as Nadal is playing well, I'm good with that :angel:

Sunset of Age
03-05-2008, 01:43 AM
That may still be up for debate... Roger is too great of a player to lose early consistently in tournaments.. I am sure he will bounce back at IW/Miami... there is no comparison between him and Novak :o
anyway, I'd rather look forward to Rafa improving and winning as opposed to the demise and losses of Roger Federer (although, I must admit, I don't care much for the guy), I still think he is a lot better for the sport than Novak Djokovic, I could be wrong, but eh, as long as Nadal is playing well, I'm good with that :angel:

Yeah... I fully agree.
People are WAY too fast to write Roger off, I've noticed.
He lost in a GS semi from Djoko, who was absolutely the better player there. He lost from Muzza in Dubai, who might well have been playing the best match he's ever done. Two very respected and talented players. It's not like Rog is suddenly losing to complete and utter mugs... ;)

Raf should really have taken his chances in Rotterdam! Well, hopefully he'll be able to do well here in Dubai. :D

Mimi
03-05-2008, 02:09 AM
rafa may never reach no.1, i think novak will reach no.1 before him :mad::mad:

Tnn74
03-05-2008, 02:25 AM
rafa may never reach no.1, i think novak will reach no.1 before him :mad::mad:

Anyone BUT him :ras:

Mimi
03-05-2008, 03:01 AM
i like novak more than roger :devil:

Foxy
03-05-2008, 06:44 AM

Same here! :devil:

Aenea
03-05-2008, 01:50 PM

Exactly my thinking!!:worship:
This is how I feel about Rafa-Roger rivalry. It's not Roger who has to be worn out, it's Rafa who has to evolve. There is no glory in being #1 just by benefiting from your main rival losses. The true #1 must win titles. And not just any titles, but big events titles.

Tnn74
03-05-2008, 07:33 PM

I was actually warming up to him last year, until now when he was talkin' about how he deserves to be at least #2 in the world, (unless he means when Nadal is #1, which I hardly think that was what he was implying) blah, blah, blah, and his family seriously annoys me... Now I really don't care much for him, but enough with that, I don't want to discuss Novak anymore, at least not in THIS forum :angel:

Sunset of Age
03-06-2008, 02:08 AM

Yo. I just can't understand people admiring Raf's subtle, nice, honest and well educated personality, and at the same time appreciating Nole, why he's not in any way a comparable personality - rather more, a true moron.

Ever imagine Djoko offering a free plane ride to Raf? Eh?

Guess it's just me. :shrug:

Mimi
03-06-2008, 02:41 AM
actually we never know these players in person, so our impression could all be wrong

i always thought Mirka is a nice person so thats why roger loves her so much, but one poster said her friend told her that Mirka is a bitch after she met her in person ....... may be she is not that nice or may be she was just having bad mood that day, so its really difficult to tell whether a person is "nice" unless you know them for long

for me, Nole is not a moran, but just a person who is full of life and funny, i like people who are crazy, just like goran, they are never boring for me, you see, i can love both pete and goran at the same time who have different characters, i admire pete's mental toughness and goran's craziness and jokes at the same time, its possible that we appreciate people of differncet characters:wavey::p
Yo. I just can't understand people admiring Raf's subtle, nice, honest and well educated personality, and at the same time appreciating Nole, why he's not in any way a comparable personality - rather more, a true moron.

Foxy
03-06-2008, 07:21 AM

Maybe it is a bad coincidence but we all remember what happened to Rafa after this plane ride. He retired in the first match in Cincy after a severe discomfort. Some arm cramps and blood pressure fluctuations... When was the last time you saw a player having cramps in the arm in the first match? :scratch: Note: I don't imply anything. Just it was strange. Obviously I don't want to remember this plane ride. Sorry.
No more such plane rides, Rafa! Thanks Rog, anyway! ;)

Aenea
03-06-2008, 08:29 AM
Maybe it is a bad coincidence but we all remember what happened to Rafa after this plane ride. He retired in the first match in Cincy after a severe discomfort. Some arm cramps and blood pressure fluctuations... When was the last time you saw a player having cramps in the arm in the first match? :scratch: Note: I don't imply anything. Just it was strange. Obviously I don't want to remember this plane ride. Sorry.
No more such plane rides, Rafa! Thanks Rog, anyway! ;)

What does Rafa's arm cramps and dizziness have to do with the private plane ride that Roger offered him? You say had Rafa taken a regular plane ride to Cincinnati he wouldn't have those problems? :eek:
That's nonsense.

Clay Death
03-10-2008, 04:19 AM
Exactly my thinking!!:worship:
This is how I feel about Rafa-Roger rivalry. It's not Roger who has to be worn out, it's Rafa who has to evolve. There is no glory in being #1 just by benefiting from your main rival losses. The true #1 must win titles. And not just any titles, but big events titles.

excellent post. better way to the top spot is to make it happen on the court.

MariaV
03-11-2008, 10:27 PM
To all ranking obsessed people here in case someone missed it.

Race Heating Up for No. 1 Ranking

ATP statistical and information guru Greg Sharko analyzes the battle for No. 1.

Rafael Nadal is the closest he's been to No. 1 Roger Federer in the South African Airways ATP Rankings.

After Federer's first round exit in Dubai and Nadal's quarterfinal effort, the Swiss No. 1 will hold a 350-point lead over the Spaniard (6,330-5,980) as of Monday. This is the closest margin since May 10, 2004 when Federer led No. 2 Andy Roddick by that same figure.

Federer has ranked a record 215 consecutive weeks at No. 1 since Feb. 2, 2004 while Nadal has been No. 2 a record 138 straight weeks (since July 25, 2005).

The No. 1 ranking can't change hands at the first ATP Masters Series tournament of the season, the Pacific Life Open in Indian Wells, since Nadal is defending title points (500) while Federer lost in the opening round (5). But depending on the results of both players in Indian Wells, then the No. 1 position could be up for grabs going into Miami. Nadal has quarterfinal points to defend (125) while Federer has fourth round points coming off (75).

Players hold their South African Airways ATP Ranking points for 52 weeks before they drop off the following year.

Both Federer and Nadal have yet to win a title going in Indian Wells while No. 3 Djokovic is coming off a semifinal performance in Dubai. Although Djokovic is still more than 1,000 points away from Federer, the 20-year-old Serb has cut into the lead since the end of last season. He opened the campaign with his first Grand Slam title at the Australian Open.

Djokovic trailed Federer by 2,710 points in the 2007 year-end South African Airways ATP Rankings and he enters Indian Wells 1,200 points behind. Djokovic is defending runner-up points (350) in Indian Wells and champion's points in Miami (500).

http://www.atptennis.com/1/en/2008news/nadal_no1race.asp

Luvyoyoma1954@co
03-12-2008, 01:58 AM
Thank you for the article. It could not make my heart any happier to read of the real possibility. Go Rafa onto #1.

JediFed
03-12-2008, 10:12 PM
On monday he clinches another milestone.

Currently:

Rafael Nadal 136 weeks number 2
Boris Becker 136 weeks number 2

So congrats Nadal for the longest time ever at number 2.

Tnn74
03-12-2008, 10:37 PM
I thought he already broke that record...?
wasn't this past week 137...? :confused:
Oh well, congrats Rafito :hug:

Clay Death
03-12-2008, 11:39 PM

Currently:

according to Fed and the Federeresians, #1 is all that matters.

Tnn74
03-13-2008, 12:10 AM
according to Fed and the Federeresians, #1 is all that matters.

Well, in THIS forum, we don't care about Fed, the Fedtards,
or what matters to them... In case you're a little lost or
confused, this is Rafa's forum :rolleyes:

MariaV
03-13-2008, 08:07 AM

Currently:

I thought he already broke that record...?
wasn't this past week 137...? :confused:
Oh well, congrats Rafito :hug:

From the article above:
while Nadal has been No. 2 a record 138 straight weeks (since July 25, 2005).

The Pro
03-13-2008, 11:30 AM
If only Rafa wasn't in a slump at the moment, he would be within reaching distance of World No. 1

(And he'd probly still say that Roger was the real no. 1) :awww:

MariaV
03-13-2008, 01:46 PM
woulda shoulda coulda .... it didn't happen so we gotta deal with it :shrug:

Getta
03-13-2008, 07:34 PM
I wonder why so many Rafa's "fans" are more obsessed with #1 spot than Rafa himself.

Well I think I know the answer. Better not say it.

Clay Death
03-13-2008, 07:43 PM
I wonder why so many Rafa's "fans" are more obsessed with #1 spot than Rafa himself.

he did say he wanted to be #1. why let a golden opportunity to kill 2 birds with one stone get away:

1. derail the greatest (Fed) on the planet from his throne and end his dominance.

2. and secondly, occupy the top spot for a while before Djokovic takes over.

Luvyoyoma1954@co
03-13-2008, 07:44 PM
I want the best for rafa which means for him to be happy with how he is playing and if he is proud of being in 2'nd for so long i am proud of him to. Number 1 is great if it is the time and what the players wants every min. of everyday.

Aenea
03-14-2008, 01:34 PM

Why not?
You better say it.
I'm curious what your arguments may be for using quotation marks.

Clay Death
03-15-2008, 04:32 AM
Why not?
You better say it.
I'm curious what your arguments may be for using quotation marks.

exactly. lets hear it.