Coria heads lineup at Ordina Open [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Coria heads lineup at Ordina Open

gravity
06-14-2004, 02:56 PM
-------------------
French Open finalist Guillermo Coria will attempt to win his first match on grass this week at the Ordina Open, where he's the top seed but not the favorite.

Coria, the world No. 3 trying to gain some confidence for Wimbledon next week, faces Karol Beck of Slovakia in the first round, and the draw appears much harder after that. Arnaud Clement, the 2003 runner-up could wait in the quarterfinals, then two-time defending champion and home favorite Sjeng Schalken in the semifinals.

Coria lost at Roland Garros in a five-set thriller to fellow Argentine Gaston Gaudio this month. But he's not known as a grass-court player, and lost his opening match at Queen's last week to Yen-Hsun Lu of Taiwan.

Marat Safin pulled out of the ?375,750 (US$450,900) men's tournament, still complaining of a wrist injury he suffered at the French Open.

Women's world No. 4 Amelie Mauresmo also withdrew, clearing the way for Nadia Petrova to claim the top seed in the ?136,000 (US$170,000) women's field. Petrova was a semifinalist last year.

The only former women's champion in the field was fourth-seeded Eleni Daniilidou of Greece, who won in 2002.

In opening matches on Monday, Jan Vacek of the Czech Republic upset fifth-seeded Dominik Hrbaty of Slovakia 6-4, 6-4, and John van Lottum of the Netherlands eased past Thierry Ascione of France 6-2, 6-0.

Anne Kremer of Luxembourg took the first women's match from Katarina Srebotnik of Slovenia 6-1, 6-3.

----------------

Vamos El Mago. :cool: Top seeded on grass....... :haha: That's a very tough first round match.

alita
06-14-2004, 03:13 PM
Marat Safin pulled out of the ?375,750 (US$450,900) men's tournament, still complaining of a wrist injury he suffered at the French Open.
Not exactly. People in Safin's thread said Marat had a visa problem, so he must come back Moscow to deal with it.

gravity
06-14-2004, 03:19 PM
Blame the Associated Press who published the article. :drink:

alita
06-14-2004, 03:29 PM
Maybe the blisters are still bother Marat. (but they said the visa problem is the main factor).11 blisters on his hand when he play against Nalbandian. 11 blisters!!!! that's horrible.

star
06-14-2004, 03:33 PM
Not exactly. People in Safin's thread said Marat had a visa problem, so he must come back Moscow to deal with it.

Yeah, and it was a blister problem at RG and not a wrist problem.

But, it's sort of strange to have to return to Moscow to sort out a visa problem. One would think that could be handled at any embassy or consulate.

alita
06-14-2004, 04:01 PM
Yes, it sounds strange.
No one know what happened exactly, maybe this time Marat don't want to play AGAIN.
:o he always do that :o He once said that he would not play RG if he didn't want to play. Such emotional guy. :o

Ok, I think I'm off topic. But I really want Marat will make a great preparation for Wimbledon. He is awesome on the court. :)

Vamos coria! and Marat :yeah:

boliviana
06-14-2004, 06:55 PM
When is he expected to play? I can't make heads or tails out of the Ordina web-site. I keep coming up with 2003 draw, etc.

Guille's Girl
06-14-2004, 07:01 PM
Hey that website is stupid. Gosh, I don't know what they were smoking when they built the thing.

:haha: Mago's the #1 seed eh? Well I hope he can win at least ONE match on grass...the whole draw sounds really bad.

MissPovaFan
06-14-2004, 07:05 PM
Coria v Beck is 4th on court after 1pm local time.

gravity
06-14-2004, 08:48 PM
Yeah he's on center! We can watch him go for that illusive first win on grass tomorrow. :bounce: Vamos autentico numero uno del ordina open. Mi castellano unico es ahora mucho mejor, si? Jajaja....... :worship:

Guille's Girl
06-14-2004, 09:11 PM
Thanks Paul :yeah:

boliviana
06-14-2004, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the time for tomorrow's match. Is this bloody tournament being televised in the US or am I shit out of luck? This is so frustrating. I got the tennis channel so I could watch him in Hamburg but they don't televise anything . . .

gravity
06-14-2004, 09:25 PM
You can watch it live on the web:
Broadband: http://streaming.is.nl/ordinaopen1.asx
Dial-up: http://streaming.is.nl/ordinaopen2.asx

It could be a long day though. He follows two men's singles matches and then a women's.

CooCooCachoo
06-14-2004, 09:34 PM
Beck will be tough, but Coría impressed me against Tommy :sad: Tommy was beaten in their friendly match :(

Boris betadvice
06-14-2004, 09:58 PM
when it was ?

boliviana
06-14-2004, 10:07 PM
thanks for the web-site information . . . here's hoping he can win at least one match there . . . he needs a break!! :)

CooCooCachoo
06-15-2004, 05:07 AM
On Sunday.. Sunday afternoon 16:00 - 18:00 at about..

xOxTanyaxOx
06-15-2004, 07:12 AM
boliviana..yea. it dont show here in singapore either! sucks ass! but if you want to watch the live match in the u.s. anyways..its gonna be on at like 3 am for ya :S right??