Sorry, I am not here to troll... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Sorry, I am not here to troll...

LCeh
06-14-2004, 02:45 AM
I am just really curious. Nobody doubts that David has what it takes to win a grand slam. He has shown in many occasions that he is just as good as the very top players right now, yet how come he hasn't won a tournament in so long?

This doesn't make any sense. Is there mental problems? Or is it injury? What can it be? I mean, he surely is better than Hrbaty, and yet he has won 3 titles already this year. Is it because he is always going for the big titles?

Why? :confused: :scratch:

Smankyou
06-14-2004, 03:00 AM
I'm going to let a Nalbandian expert answer this one. But from what I've seen, I'd put it down to fitness. He makes it to plenty of finals and semi's... he just needs to shed a few kilo's so that he can go that extra mile. Cos he bloody well has the talent to win something big.

*Ljubica*
06-14-2004, 07:38 AM
I am just really curious. Nobody doubts that David has what it takes to win a grand slam. He has shown in many occasions that he is just as good as the very top players right now, yet how come he hasn't won a tournament in so long?

This doesn't make any sense. Is there mental problems? Or is it injury? What can it be? I mean, he surely is better than Hrbaty, and yet he has won 3 titles already this year. Is it because he is always going for the big titles?

Why? :confused: :scratch:

Don't worry LCeh - we know you're not a troll - though if any of us could answer your question definatively I guess we could all be making a lot more money working for David's Team than we are now! In my own personal opinion it comes down to two things - appaling bad luck with injuries and the type of tournaments that David plays in.

Since last year's US Open, David has been sidelined by 3 separate serious injuries - the wrist problem kept him out of the game for nearly 4 months, the ankle for 2, and now the rib problem. Of course whether he is prone to such injuries because of genetic weakness, bad luck, or his fitness programme, is a matter of conjecture. I do agree that, much as I love him - he could probably lose a few pounds though! But certainly that amount of time out of the game with injuries would affect anyone's confidence and match sharpness - especially on the big occasion. Certainly he does get nervous on the big occasion (and his serve goes completely!), but whether that is a mental thing or just natural nerves I couldn't really say.

Also - if you look at this year so far - David has played only in Grand Slams and Masters' event apart from the Barcelona tournament where he reached the quarter final, and Dubai which he pretty much used to test his fitness after the ankle injury and lost in the first round because he had returned far too soon. I'm sure if he entered more small tournaments (like Hrbaty) with a lower-ranked field, he would win more tournaments, but that's a decision that he and his Team have made based on the fact that they don't want him to play too much tennis and get "burnt out".

As I said before, obviously these are only my own personal observations - I only hope that things will change soon and David will get his name on a few more trophies.

Action Jackson
06-14-2004, 07:47 AM
LCeh, you ask the tough questions that's for sure and I would like to able to answer them effectively and might do that later.

David, well he needs a breakthrough and as has been said before maybe he can be a bit like Lendl, once he breaks through then he can keep on winning big titles. The injuries are a problem as well, though I think he needs some serious fitness base work and to improve his 2nd serve.

sigmagirl91
06-14-2004, 10:48 AM
I agree with George and Rosie.

spikeys_girl
06-14-2004, 03:36 PM
i thought about this question many times before... i think its all about the fact that he gets injured so many times.... for example in rolland garros... in my opinion, if he wouldn't have got injured in the semis, he could have won the finals. he has a great game and a lot of talent.

mhm
06-15-2004, 03:57 PM
im sure hes gonna be wicked in wimbledon. coz hes an awsome player.

Carlita270876
06-15-2004, 05:18 PM
i thought about this question many times before... i think its all about the fact that he gets injured so many times.... for example in rolland garros... in my opinion, if he wouldn't have got injured in the semis, he could have won the finals. he has a great game and a lot of talent.

Well, after David lost in the semis at RG, his coach said he might not have been able to play the final if he had reached it because of his injury...