2008 Andy News/Schedule stuff [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

2008 Andy News/Schedule stuff

Pages : [1] 2 3

Deboogle!.
01-16-2008, 05:27 AM
I'm pretty surprised by this. Andy's never missed the event, has won it, made the finals last year, it's the only ISG tourney he usually plays, but it's not like him to not enter accidentally or something. How absolutely bizarre. If anything, the spring indoor tourney I'd hoped he would've cut would've been San Jose. Odd odd odd.

So I may have found an answer. Andy's committed to Dubai the week after memphis - along with most of the other top 10, meaning Andy would have little chance to win that event anyway. I'm shocked. And saddened and really disappointed that Andy would ditch a long-standing US Event that has helped him and that he has helped so much with the hospital and everything there, to sell out to go to Dubai. I really thought he was better than that. So he will go from Australia to the US to Austria to San Jose to Dubai to Indian Wells in the span of about a month. That's brilliant.
=====================

Roddick likely to miss Memphis tournament
Ends 7-year streak; may still get wild-card entry

By Phil Stukenborg

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Fernando Gonzalez of Chile, two-time defending champion Tommy Haas, 2002 finalist James Blake and rising Americans Donald Young and John Isner will highlight the 32-player field in next month's Regions Morgan Keegan Championships, but a familiar attraction will be missing.

Andy Roddick, the world's sixth-ranked player, will end a seven-year run of appearances in Memphis's annual stop on the men's pro tennis circuit. Roddick did not enter the event, which will be played Feb. 24-March 2 at The Racquet Club. Although Monday was the official deadline for entering, tournament officials will hold a wild-card spot for Roddick.

Tournament director Phil Chamberlain said Isner, whose ranking of 109 was not high enough to earn direct entry into the field, was given one of the three wild cards. He has not issued the other two.

"But we'll hold the last one for Roddick," he said.

Roddick won the 2002 RMKC and was a finalist to Haas in last year's tournament. He is scheduled to play in San Jose the week before Memphis and in Dubai the week after.

The field for the Cellular South Cup, the women's tourney played in conjunction with the RMKC, will be announced next week. The CSC has received commitments from defending champ Venus Williams and former world No. 1 Lindsay Davenport.

Chamberlain said that while Roddick may be absent, tennis fans will have a chance to "potentially see another Roddick."

Young, 18, is coming off a breakthrough season, earning a top-100 ranking by posting strong results at the sport's minor-league level. Ranked 98th, he won a Challenger tournament and reached the finals of four others. He also advanced to the third round of the U.S. Open.

Isner, 22, turned pro last summer after a standout four-year career at the University of Georgia, where he led the Bulldogs to the 2007 NCAA title. After turning pro, he reached the finals of an ATP Tour event in Washington, defeating Haas and Tim Henman before losing to Roddick in the championship.

Isner, a towering 6-9, also reached the third round of the U.S. Open

"They are the top two up-and-coming Americans," Chamberlain said. "It's good to have them. They have serious potential to be top players (in the world)."

Other Americans in the field include veteran Mardy Fish, a Memphis semifinalist last year, 20-year-old Sam Querrey and Vincent Spadea, who is in his 15th year on tour. The field includes 24 direct entries, four entries from qualifying play the weekend before the tournament, three wild cards and a special exemption.

Chamberlain also said he was excited about the addition of veteran Frenchman Sebastien Grosjean, a former top-10 player. The 29-year-old is a two-time Wimbledon semifinalist who reached the quarterfinals of last year's Australian Open.

"He's a colorful player, he's a character, he's flamboyant," Chamberlain said

Like Grosjean, Gonzalez, 27, will be making his first appearance in Memphis. He reached the finals of last year's Australian Open and won the eighth title of his career.

Also joining the field -- and previously unannounced -- were Radek Stepanek of the Czech Republic and 2006 runner-up Robin Soderling of Sweden. A quarterfinalist at Wimbledon in 2006, Stepanek won his second career ATP title last summer in Los Angeles. Soderling missed the final three months of 2007 with a wrist injury.

The men's field will be missing another Top 10 player. Great Britain's Andy Murray, like Roddick, will be playing in the ATP event in Dubai the week after Memphis and will skip the event here, which he has played the past two years.

"We've still got Tommy (Haas), Blake and Gonzalez, who is seven in the world," said tournament owner Mac Winker. "And the women's field has Venus and Lindsay. I remember one year when we lost (Stefan) Edberg and (Michael) Chang early (in the men's draw) and a young American no one had heard of, Andre Agassi, won."

GollyLou
01-16-2008, 05:48 AM
San Jose is sponsored by SAP - and so is Andy. Which might also explain why he's skipping Memphis and not San Jose.

That news article makes me really sad. :sad: I see Andy's finally give into the $$$$$$ coming from Dubai. :(

Fee
01-16-2008, 05:53 AM
Wow. Well... I'm just...

Deboogle!.
01-16-2008, 06:04 AM
San Jose is sponsored by SAP - and so is Andy. Which might also explain why he's skipping Memphis and not San Jose.I know...

it's just disappointing for me on many many levels. Not only is it inordinately poor planning and unnecessarily excessive traveling to a really faraway place, but it upsets me on more personal levels that I don't think are appropriate to get into here, so I won't go there. But the more I've been sitting here thinking about it, the more disappointed I am in him. To see him ditch a US tourney that had always seemed so very important to him, but not just ditch it, but ditch it for one in DUBAI of all places, a tourney known for paying its players up the ass, a tourney for which I have openly spoken out against other players for playing.... I don't think i've ever been disappointed in Andy like this. Because through all the disappointing losses, poor play, lack of preparation, ditching the clay season, all of that stuff, I could always respect him as a person and for the person he always seemed to be, his loyalty and dedication. And this really makes me question that. And that makes me sad.

Tytta!.
01-16-2008, 09:22 AM
Oy.

tangerine_dream
01-16-2008, 11:24 AM
Gee, a lot of presumptions are being made here. How do we know Andy didn't make a promise for somebody at Dubai to play there? Murray'$ al$o $kipping Memphi$ to $ell out to Dubai this year.

I'm thinking that the Dubai people have probably been trying to get Andy to play there for years and maybe Andy decided, okay maybe this one time. It's not like he goes every year. I think his playing Dubai is a one time deal and not likely to be permanently part of his schedule. This is also an Olympic year so players' schedules are going to get shaken up a bit.

I'll wait until I hear what Andy and his people have to say before I decide whether to be angry with him or not.

Winston's Human
01-16-2008, 11:28 AM
Very disappointing (if true).

This is almost as bad as when Agassi blew off the original Las Vegas tournament to chase dollars (or is that euros) in Dubai.

dibs
01-16-2008, 11:46 AM
Andy can't win here. When he plays the US tournaments he's accused of trying to avoid playing the top guys who are all in Dubai. Not sure that Agassi really needed the dollars during his last season but, again, competition in Dubai is probably better preparation for Masters/Slams than the level of competition on offer in Las Vegas and Memphis.

simona21
01-16-2008, 11:54 AM
Emmmm...really happy to hear that he is coming to Dubai....I live in the UAE....and Dubai is part of my country...it's means there is a chance i will see him playing live and meet him in person....

he always talked about spreading the tennis in the world....this is really help spreading the game in the gulf area....
i don't know why you people are sad and disappointed of Andy....?? he always can go back and play in Memphis in the later years...
Dubai is really cool place...he is very welcomed...

kaylee
01-16-2008, 01:17 PM
I too shall reserve judgement. Having seen Dubai it does seem a very cool place and as mentioned if most of the higher competition (a la Fed) goes Andy might as well try it and see.

Jimnik
01-16-2008, 01:24 PM
Wow, I didn't see that one coming.

But I guess it was inevitable. I'm sure Dubai must have approached him before but like Tangy said, being an Olympic year, his schedule was going to be different. In a way he might get more respect from others outside this forum because he'll be competing in a much tougher field. And it proves that he isn't scared of venturing out into the world and playing events a long way from home.

I guess I can see why the decision would upset people but personally I like to see a player give different things a go. Even if the deci$ion wa$ made for the wrong rea$on.

Tytta!.
01-16-2008, 01:48 PM
Jimnik :yeah:

Fumus
01-16-2008, 02:06 PM
Quite Dubias(dubious) of Andy.

simona21
01-16-2008, 03:45 PM
i;m really disappointed of people reaction about Dubai....the important thing is hopefully Andy will come (still not sure...nothing mentioned in our papers yet) ...and I'll go to see him life..people get paid all the time...why this is different??

Deboogle!.
01-16-2008, 03:51 PM
Because it's very unlike Andy to ditch a local US tourney - a tourney where he has done a lot of work for the local hospital (Garrett Star anyone?), a tourney he says is important to him, one of his favorite places to play, where he's played since he turned pro - for what is surely nothing more than a big paycheck. I just thought Andy was better than that. It's nothing against the tournament or the country, it's about Andy. And frankly, as my mom used to say to me, I don't care about other people. I care about Andy; he's the one i've chosen to support. I can only speak for myself but of course, no one meant to offend anyone, we are just really surprised at this decision.

but it's on the tournament's website, and also on AR.com that he'll be there, so he's definitely committed.

simona21
01-16-2008, 04:41 PM
even if he went to Dubai for this year .... sure he'll be back to Memphis the later years...as you said it's in the US...so..it's a one thing time (if he comes)..

any way..whatever his decision is...i respect that...and i'll support him where ever he goes ....GOODLUCK to him

tangerine_dream
01-16-2008, 04:48 PM
You make it sound like Andy has completely turned his back on the tournament and will never ever play Memphis again. That's not the case. He's just decided to play somewhere else this time. I'm not crazy about Dubai either but I don't think it's that big a deal. As I said before, perhaps he has a promise to keep or an obligation to fill.

Andy can't win here. When he plays the US tournaments he's accused of trying to avoid playing the top guys who are all in Dubai. ... competition in Dubai is probably better preparation for Masters/Slams than the level of competition on offer in Las Vegas and Memphis.
This is true and it reminds me of the yearly tug-of-war people have when Andy chooses to play Houston over Monte Carlo. He's damned no matter what decision he makes. There's only one Andy to go around.

Deboogle!.
01-16-2008, 05:01 PM
You make it sound like Andy has completely turned his back on the tournament and will never ever play Memphis again. That's not the case. He's just decided to play somewhere else this time. I'm not crazy about Dubai either but I don't think it's that big a deal. As I said before, perhaps he has a promise to keep or an obligation to fill. Certain things are big deals to you, this is a big deal to me :shrug: If it's an obligation, it's still an obligation he chose. It disappoints me, I can't help that and I don't have to justify it.

Fumus
01-16-2008, 06:07 PM
If Andy is really playing Dubai, I support him for that...he's got to get back to playing with the big boys, and yes, beating the big boys as well.

Fee
01-16-2008, 06:16 PM
I have a problem with the very existence of this tournament for one simple reason, Dudi Sela is not allowed to play there. I don't care how great the country is, or how much money is involved, the ATP should have never sanctioned an event that ALL of the players it represents are not allowed to play in.

As for Andy, the scheduling is hell. For the players who play the European swing (like Murray and Djokovic), its not a big deal, but to come from the US and back again will be very tough on him. He has enough problems with his game as it is, no reason to make it more difficult for himself. I don't buy that 'he has to play with the top players' crap, he plays them 9+ times a year. The true sign of a top player is smart schedule management, and I think this decision fails that test.

Deboogle!.
01-16-2008, 06:16 PM
Thank you, Fee.

tangerine_dream
01-16-2008, 06:26 PM
I have a problem with the very existence of this tournament for one simple reason, Dudi Sela is not allowed to play there. I don't care how great the country is, or how much money is involved, the ATP should have never sanctioned an event that ALL of the players it represents are not allowed to play in.

Now I'm confused. :confused:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=6364650&postcount=9

Fee
01-16-2008, 06:31 PM
Why are you confused? The statement of the tournament director is what I would call 'window dressing.' None of the Israeli players has tried to play there, I'm sure they have been told that the reality is that they should not even try.

I just checked the prelim entry list. Neither Andy nor Roger are on it yet, but Harel Levy is. Of course his ranking is too low to get in, but I would just love for him to attempt to get into the country to play qualies. I might write to him to see if this is what he really intends to do. Go Harel.

Winston's Human
01-16-2008, 09:28 PM
As for Andy, the scheduling is hell. For the players who play the European swing (like Murray and Djokovic), its not a big deal, but to come from the US and back again will be very tough on him. He has enough problems with his game as it is, no reason to make it more difficult for himself. I don't buy that 'he has to play with the top players' crap, he plays them 9+ times a year. The true sign of a top player is smart schedule management, and I think this decision fails that test.

I agree. It seems silly for Andy to travel from Australia to Texas to Austria to California to Dubai and then back to California.

Kate87
01-16-2008, 09:55 PM
Maybe Lacoste has something to do with it,too.:scratch:
Lacoste is one of their sponsors plus I found this on their website:
The Lacoste Tennis Clinics

The annual Lacoste Tennis Clinics, held during both weeks of the Dubai Tennis Championships are very popular and accommodate both able bodied and special needs children. During the WTA Men's event, nearly 30 children from the Dubai Centre for Special Needs, the Rashid Paediatric Therapy Centre and Al Noor are specially invited by Lacoste to the Kid's Day. During the men's week, children are invited by Lacoste perfumes to enjoy the kids day. The children are entertained for an hour of tennis fun with the WTA or ATP Tennis stars and local tennis coaches.

kaylee
01-17-2008, 02:26 PM
ahhh hah!

Deboogle!.
02-01-2008, 03:14 AM
SAP OPEN MEDIA CONFERENCE
January 31, 2008
Andy Roddick

BILL RAPP: You won twice here in San Jose. I know SAP is thrilled to have you as their ambassador around the world. Talk about be winning title No. 3 this year.
ANDY RODDICK: It's an important tournament for me, especially coming off of a disappointing Australian Open. I think it's important to try to reset the tone. I'm looking forward to it being my first tournament back on the hard stuff.
GREG SHARKO: We'll open it up for questions for Andy.

Q. There are a lot of Americans in the field this year. I was wondering, can you talk a little bit about the state of American tennis and the development of some of the young players like Sam Querrey and Donald Young?
ANDY RODDICK: I think maybe for the first time since maybe our group of Robbie and Mardy and myself, there are some guys you can look towards the future with as far as Donald and Sam playing well, even Isner, a little bit older, but he's kind of new on the scene as far as tennis years go. I think it is exciting.
That being said, I think they have a lot of work to do. At least it's something we can all talk about and be hopeful about.

Q. You think they're a few years away from some of the breakthroughs of some of the players we saw at the Australian Open this year?
ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, I mean, I don't know if that comes overnight. You have to remember the progress they have made already. Donald this time last year I think was likes 600 or 700 in the world. To get into the top hundred is already a huge leap. You have to take that into consideration.
Sam Querrey has been an after-school tennis player from when he was 14 to when he was 18, and then just became a prospect recently. They might take a little bit more time, but they have good upsides.

Q. What advice would you give them in their development here?
ANDY RODDICK: Well, I mean, I think there's no substitute for hard work. I think, to be honest with you, that's one of the things that lacks when you see the young American players. It puts a different dynamic on things when you're playing tennis to find a way out of the country as opposed to playing for fun.
I think maybe that's what we're seeing on the worldwide stage right now. But they just have to develop good work ethic early on and they should be all right.

Q. Coming off the Australian Open, two short weeks away you're in San Jose, how does a player of your stature, how much of that is mental in terms of preparing for a place like San Jose versus some of the majors?
ANDY RODDICK: Well, Australia is different than anyplace else. You basically have a month where you have nothing to do beforehand, so you can kind of focus your training a little bit more. Once you get into the season, it's more along the lines of trying to maintain your fitness. You kind of have to learn whether to pull back, play more, depending on how well you're doing in tournaments.
I like the way my schedule is coming together. I'll play the Davis Cup, then I'll have a week off before San Jose. San Jose, like I said, is going to be an important event for me this year. :scared: It is every year, but even more so this year because of not getting the amount of matches I would have wanted at the Australian Open.

Q. Is that almost like a kickoff for you, after San Jose, in terms of where you are physically?
ANDY RODDICK: Physically it's fine. Fitness shape, I'm fine. It's just a matter of you want to get matches under your belt. The only way to replicate a match scenario is by being in it. You have to give yourself an opportunity to play your way into match toughness. That's something I still need to establish this year.

Q. Your feeling about Andy Murray not involved this year after winning two in a row, including a couple matches against you.
ANDY RODDICK: Well, there's mixed emotions there. As a tennis fan, I think you're a little disappointed. To be honest, I'm a little bit surprised. Anyplace that I've had success in the past, I feel comfortable, I'm happy to play there, I would probably make it a point to go back to.
But I think a lot of it has to do with, you know, he was with Gilbert, who lives up the road, the last couple years, and now he's not. So I'm sure that plays into it.

Q. How does playing Davis Cup help you in terms of your game when you get back on tour? Do you see any benefit to it?
ANDY RODDICK: I'm not sure, to be honest. Davis Cup is rough because you're going to be in Austria one week playing on clay, and then you're indoors on the West Coast playing. Davis Cup, it's not the most convenient thing in the world, but it's something that I'm passionate about.
As far as how it translates to the regular tour, I'm not sure if it does or not. It's just a totally different scenario. There aren't too many parallels.

Q. Is having the extra week off this year before San Jose going to be beneficial to you?
ANDY RODDICK: I think so. Last year I came and it was a little tough playing clay and then literally three days -- I was playing clay in the Czech Republic, and three days later, through a little bit of a haze, jetlag, different surface changes, and then playing in San Jose.
It probably wasn't ideal preparation for San Jose, so I'm happy to have the week off this year. I should be able to get out there and work with my coach before the tournament. The schedule shapes up a little bit better this year.

Q. You obviously are very proud of always having made yourself available for Davis Cup. I wondered if there was any hesitation at all this time because of the quick turnaround from the championships? Did you discuss it with the other guys, or everyone assumes everyone is going to show up and there's no need for discussion?
ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, I think it was just assumed. Me not agreeing with the short turnaround, making myself available, I feel are two different things. I'd be the first to tell you that I think the two teams in the final from the year before should get a bye into the second round. It's just not long enough in between.
But that being said, you play the hand you're dealt. Davis Cup is a priority. We've won it, but that doesn't mean we're in the clear. It's going to be with us forever. :) But you just can't abandon what you're passionate about just because there's been a little bit of success. :yeah:

Q. Having gotten back from Australia, I know my sleep pattern is still screwed up. How on earth do you cope with physically flying from Australia to Texas to Europe and back to California? :o:help: What are some of your long-distance travel strategies?
ANDY RODDICK: Well, you know, maybe some sleeping assistance pills. But, no, in all seriousness, it's just a matter of -- with me it's just a matter of making sure I get meals. I think that's the biggest thing from a physical standpoint. You figure if your body needs to sleep, it's going to shut itself down. The biggest thing for me is just maintaining good meals and whatnot.
But I don't think there's a secret. You're just going to have to battle and deal with it. It's not easy. I think that's one of the things about tennis that is tough. In a lot of other sports you travel every night, but you're traveling an hour or two and then you're playing the next night here. You're traveling eight, nine, ten sometimes 20 hours, the sleeping pattern is off.
It's definitely an adjustment, but it's just something you have to deal with. I don't think there's any secret to it.

Q. Are there things that you're sort of allowed to take by your trainer? Seems it would be kind of an odd thing to take sleeping pills, then try to compete or train the next day.
ANDY RODDICK: No, I was being a little bit facetious. No, not really. I mean, you can't really do it. I think you just have to -- like I said, there's no real secret. You kind of just have to deal with it.

Q. Are you surprised to see a guy like Tsonga break through in Australia, or are you at the point where you think the depth is just there in men's tennis that this could happen?
ANDY RODDICK: Well, it has happened. You know, you have Baghdatis a couple years ago there. You have Tsonga, you have Verkerk a couple years ago at the French Open. This being treated as a new phenomenon is a little odd for me.
But certainly he has the talent, he's athletic enough and he got hot at the right time. Surprised? Yes. Shocked? No.

Q. Switching back to Davis Cup. After such a high in Portland, how do you get yourself kind of amped up to go to Europe and start it all over again?
ANDY RODDICK: Well, I mean, like I said, I don't agree with the short turnaround period. And I think it could be difficult. I think you've seen a lot of teams go from winning it to struggling in the first round before.
But it is what it is. I'm sure once we get there, it's amazing what playing in front of a hostile crowd can do for your competitive juices. It will get them flowing and stuff.
It's just a matter of trying to get in good practices and then hope adrenaline takes over, which it always does in Davis Cup.

Q. Could you talk a little more about how difficult it is to work every round of the Davis Cup, physically or mental, and why you've been so loyal to it?
ANDY RODDICK: Well, I'm loyal to it just because I believe in the competition and I'm passionate about it. I said in the lead-up to Davis Cup a lot in interviews that 90% of the time when we're out there playing regular tournaments it's for pretty selfish motives: it's our ranking, it's our prize money, it's our schedule. It kind of all revolves around us. I really kind of embrace the team aspect. Representing your country is an honor.

Q. Aside from the short turnaround, do you like the format or do you think it should change?
ANDY RODDICK: Well, I mean, that's a big part of it. I understand that a lot more goes into it than just putting out opinions.
The one thing that is rough, I mean, the Grand Slams each run themselves, the ITF runs Davis Cup, the ATP runs their tournaments. So trying to get something -- kind of coming up with a theory on how to change things and actually getting it done are entirely different things.
There could be some adjustments, but I'm not going to sit here and pretend to have the knowledge of inner workings to get it done.

Q. Would you favor a one-week event or playing it every other year?
ANDY RODDICK: I would not favor a one-week event. I think you got to -- I think the home crowds, the different atmospheres, the different surfaces and stuff kind of add to the intricacies of Davis Cup.
I think, like I said, I just feel like given the two teams that were in the final, byes would be a huge step in the right direction.

Q. Pete Sampras is playing an exhibition in this tournament. Have you seen him play recently? How do you think he'll do?
ANDY RODDICK: Well, in order for me to know how he'll do, I'd have to know who he was playing. You hear a lot of talk. Obviously the matches with Roger and stuff, I think it's beneficial for both of them, for those to be interesting and intriguing matches.
You hear a lot, but also it's rough, you see a lot of stuff about how he'd step in and be top five right away, all that stuff. He wasn't top five when he left the game. And you know, and it's tough to imagine someone kind of sitting on the pine for three years or four years and coming back and being better. If anybody could pull it off, it's probably Pete.

Q. Do you think there's a chance he could come back and play on the tour, maybe try Wimbledon again?
ANDY RODDICK: I mean, I'll take Pete at face value and say no. From anything that I've read, he's said he's not interested in it. So I'm guessing he would know better than I would.

Q. On the Bryan brothers, what makes them so special with what they do?
ANDY RODDICK: Well, I mean, are we talking about tennis or... :spit:

Q. Tennis. They're dominant doubles players. What makes them so good at what they do?
ANDY RODDICK: Well, I mean, they've been playing together forever. Kind of the thing that we -- we call it the twin thing, you know, where they don't really have to even talk to each other. You know, they kind of know where the other one is going to be. They plug in the holes pretty well.
That and just, you know, kind of deciding they were going to specialize in doubles from early on I think is a big thing. So they're just dominating.
A lot of times you'll see a lot of the doubles guys choose to specialize a little bit later on in their career, so I think that was a smart move by them. On top of that, they're just good. They're just better than everybody at doubles.

Q. What are they like as guys on the Davis Cup team?
ANDY RODDICK: They're good. You know, Mike's always good for constant entertainment. You know, Bob is good to have around. I can tell you, we wouldn't want another doubles team, that's for sure. The amount that they do for tennis as far as kids clinics, they're always involved in that sort of stuff with their dad, really promoting the game of doubles. Their passion for tennis is up there with anybody.

Q. Maybe your theory on having your coach on-site with you at matches? He wasn't there in San Jose. Some guys bring their coaches maybe more often. Just curious about that relationship, how that's been going?
ANDY RODDICK: Well, Jimmy and I, I think it's going to be more preparation based this year. I knew when we started working together that Jimmy is not going to come out of retirement and travel 35 weeks a year. That's just not something that he's going to do.
But at the same time, I want someone who I know, you know, when we're talking about how to progress to a semi or final of a Grand Slam know what they're talking about and have been there before.
It's something that has to be thought about as far as what weeks we're going to work together and how they're going to be beneficial. You know, but I'd probably say it's gonna be more preparation based and more based on practice weeks this year.

Q. I imagine you talk a lot on the phone. I think you mentioned that in San Jose last year.
ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, we do.

Q. Will he be in San Jose this year or not?
ANDY RODDICK: I don't think so. I think I'm going to be with him probably the five days leading up to the tournament and then I'll probably come with my regular crew there.
But, you know, he has the Tennis Channel on his TV. When I'm on TV, he watches it and we talk on the phone, kind of analyze matches as we would as if he was there.

Q. I'm assuming you might have caught a little bit of the Federer/Djokovic match.
ANDY RODDICK: I actually didn't watch a point of it. I saw the highlights on ESPN. :lol:

Q. We in the media tend to always talk about you guys "chasing Roger." There's almost this speculation that one of you would be happy if somebody else knocked him off. Is that far from the truth, or do you actually sort of think, maybe there's a bit more vulnerability for him this season?
ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, sure. I don't think we sit there -- I don't think you cheer against Roger as a person. But if anything can bend his confidence a little bit, I don't think we're against that.
It would be the same -- I feel like it would be the same in any generation in any sport. I'm sure the Giants or anybody else wouldn't be too sad if the Patriots took one on the chin.
Yeah, I don't know if we cheer against Roger personally. But if you can kind of make him vulnerable and give the other people a look, I think we're okay with that.

Q. Last time I saw you was after your match with Kohlschreiber. It's not a great time to do instant analysis. Any further thoughts about that? Do you feel you ran into a guy who was really hot? Could you reassess how you thought you did in the tournament overall.
ANDY RODDICK: Well, I did run into a guy that was very hot. But I think there are some things I could have done a little bit differently.:o I made a point of being in very good shape coming into the Australian Open this year, and I was.
That being said, I think I might have relied too much upon, you know, trying to rely a little too much on movement.:tape: Long story short, I should have let my forehand ride a little bit more.:tape: Kind of watching the tape, I realize that.:tape: I needed to kind of establish that shot in rallies a little bit more, maybe not let guys take control of it and take pot shots, make them a little bit more uncomfortable.:tape:
Besides that, I thought he played well. Even leading into the Australian, that's about as prepared as I've been. I just took one on the chin a little earlier than I would have wanted to.

Q. Obviously a tough loss against Kohlschreiber. You get a good sense for how you take that loss, but how does Jimmy take those losses from a coaching standpoint? How does he react?
ANDY RODDICK: He takes them rough also. I think it all hit us badly because we thought I was playing well enough to make a run there. :scratch: The way the draw was, we liked the way it was going to shake out. I think we're all pretty upset with it.
That being said, I think his biggest thing as far as coaching was, Don't let this discourage you. You put in a lot of hard work. You were very prepared here. Don't let this kind of get in your head and let this -- don't stop working. He was calling me every day after Australia :awww: and really trying to push that point home.
But it's also tough for me to get a sense of how upset he is because he's not going to -- his job is to kind of try to bring me up after something like that. You know, you see it a little bit, but I think we all care about it a lot.

Q. You played Tommy Haas quite a few times. Could you discuss his game and his mental toughness?
ANDY RODDICK: Tommy is talented. He's been around for 10 years now. When healthy, he's established himself as one of the top players. I don't think that's questioned.
As far as his mental toughness goes, I think he's fine also. I think his biggest challenge in his career so far has been injuries. Seems like he's dealing with it a little bit this year already. But when he's healthy, there's no question he's one of the top players.

Q. How would you evaluate your progress over the last couple years? Obviously a loss like Australia is frustrating. Do you feel like you're becoming a better player, a smarter player every time out?
ANDY RODDICK: I think so. Sometimes you miss the youthful ignorance a little bit. I used to not really recognize situations too much or realize that they were actually important. Sometimes that worked to my benefit (laughter).
You know, I'm definitely a more complete player, but at the same time, you know, I used to cover up my backhand and my volleys and stuff because I couldn't do them that well.
Now that I can, sometimes I haven't fired my forehand as much as I should (HALLEHFUCKINGLUJAH). I think it's just a matter of finding the balance between the two.
GREG SHARKO: Andy, we appreciate your time this afternoon.
ANDY RODDICK: Thank you.
GREG SHARKO: Good luck in Vienna.
ANDY RODDICK: Thanks.

Tytta!.
02-01-2008, 10:12 AM
Thanks, sister! :smooch:

Kate87
02-01-2008, 10:48 AM
Thanks Deb! :)
good to see that he realizes that he NEEDS that forehand. hopefully he will bring it back as well:angel:

Tytta!.
02-01-2008, 10:51 AM
:unsure:

Kate87
02-01-2008, 11:01 AM
don't worry Re, Andy never lets us down:hug::lol:

Tytta!.
02-01-2008, 11:04 AM
Hmmmmmm, sure. :haha:

Kate87
02-01-2008, 11:06 AM
ah we know him too well:angel:

Tytta!.
02-01-2008, 11:09 AM
No kidding :sobbing:

Kate87
02-01-2008, 11:20 AM
:hug:
he will use it. I know;)eternal optimisthttp://www.awimb.com/fudforum/images/smiley_icons/cloudnine.gif

Tytta!.
02-01-2008, 11:26 AM
:rolls:

Hmmmm, sweetie, come back to earth. :sobbing: :lol:

Kate87
02-01-2008, 11:27 AM
I try but it is too good here:sobbing:

Tytta!.
02-01-2008, 11:33 AM
how do I do to get there? :haha: :sobbing:

Kate87
02-01-2008, 11:37 AM
I will send a cloud for you;)

Tytta!.
02-01-2008, 11:44 AM
A comfortable one, please. :awww:

Kate87
02-01-2008, 11:47 AM
sure:D:bolt:*runs away to find the most comfortable cloud EVER*

Tytta!.
02-01-2008, 11:51 AM
Hope you can find it. :D

*Starts packing*

Kate87
02-01-2008, 12:05 PM
I've found this (http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/7338/cloudyg8.png):D

Tytta!.
02-01-2008, 12:07 PM
I've found this (http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/7338/cloudyg8.png):D

:haha: :worship: genius :bowdown:

Is this FH TV any good?

Kate87
02-01-2008, 12:11 PM
yeah it's good, absolutely:p

I hope Andy will watch this instead of superbowl in Vienna:angel:well...If I get there I can force him:armed:

Tytta!.
02-01-2008, 12:16 PM
He should practice everything he watches in the FH TV :awww: And you really should go and kick his ass :)

Kate87
02-01-2008, 12:20 PM
I see you are not here yet. when you arrive you won't have doubts anymore;)

(I was bad, too when I thought he would watch the superbowl so my cloud sank a little bit:awww:)

Tytta!.
02-01-2008, 12:22 PM
Looks like I'm getting there. It's soft and everything's looking beautiful! :awww:

Kate87
02-01-2008, 12:25 PM
the forehands, too?:angel:

Tytta!.
02-01-2008, 12:29 PM
The forehands, backhands, volleys and aces :inlove:

Kate87
02-01-2008, 12:32 PM
niiiiice:p

did you see him below?

Kate87
02-01-2008, 12:34 PM
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/13.gifI forgot to wish you a safe journey soooooo

HAVE A SAFE JOURNEYhttp://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/54.gif

Kate87
02-01-2008, 12:44 PM
ON :D

Roddick ready for Dubai Championships

1 February 2008

DUBAI - It is a measure of Andy Roddick’s success that, when his ranking slumped from three at the beginning of 2006 to 11 after Wimbledon that year, many said his career was in crisis. That is when he took tennis Hall-of-Famer Jimmy Connors on board as his coach, and the legend soon steadied the boat and returned Roddick to the top five.

The 25-year old’s proudest moment came just a few weeks a go when he joined James Blake, the Bryan twins and captain Patrick McEnroe in lifting the Davis Cup for the United States. Now he will try and add the prestigious 2008 Dubai Tennis Championships title to his bulging portfolio when he makes his first visit to the Emirates in March, a Press release said.

Roddick has earned respect for his level-head, realising even in defeat how fortunate he is to be doing something he loves.

“Honestly, I get a lot of opportunities. I'm very lucky,” he said after losing to Roger Federer at the US Open. “If I start feeling sorry for myself I need a serious sense of perspective. You can just feed off the energy. It's a show. You walk out there, you're part of a very small percentage of people who can go out there and hear someone cheer for them, compete on that stage with that amount of hype. I'd have to be totally out of touch not to realise that and appreciate it.”

Another benefit of his profession is the travel, of course, and while many players complain about so much of it he can see some of the advantages.

“I think growing up on tour and kind of having to rely on yourself, and being exposed to other cultures and things like that, allows you to grow up a little faster,” he said. “Especially as an American. In our youth we don’t get a lot of chance to travel as much as the rest of the world. I definitely make a point to at least have a walk around, in no direction in particular. You just run into stuff. You get lost and all of a sudden you make a right turn and you'll be staring at the Coliseum. So I feel I’ve been blessed with a little bit of culture and I’ve probably learned a lot through travelling.

“Obviously you don’t like sitting on planes for days at a time, but at the same time I love being able to see different parts of the world, and I think what seems tough at the time you look back on with the most fondness. The biggest thing I’d change would be the length of the schedule. The travel, you make the decision on the places you go for the most part, so it’s not so bad.”

Roddick will face the toughest possible challenge as his bids for the title, with Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray just some of those making up the best field in the history of the tournament.

“Andy Roddick is one of the greatest entertainers in the game, and his serve is one of the biggest on the ATP Tour,” said Colm McLoughlin, managing director of tournament owners and organisers Dubai Duty Free. “He has shown he can beat anyone in the game, and we look forward to welcoming him to Dubai for the first time.”

Play at the Barclays Dubai Tennis Championships, which is held under the patronage of His Highness Shaikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice-President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai, begins on February 25 with the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour tournament, and is followed by the ATP event from March 3 to 8.

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArticleNew.asp?xfile=data/sports/2008/February/sports_February13.xml&section=sports&subsection=tennis

Tytta!.
02-01-2008, 12:44 PM
Yes I did, he looks good practicing the whole day! :)

And thank you!

Kate87
02-01-2008, 12:47 PM
Yes I did, he looks good practicing the whole day! :)
almost here:woohoo:

Tytta!.
02-01-2008, 01:43 PM
I just saw 10 forehand winners in a row :eek:

kaylee
02-01-2008, 01:56 PM
where r u?

Tytta!.
02-01-2008, 01:56 PM
KateLand :)

kaylee
02-01-2008, 01:58 PM
ahhhhhh u should be in Andyland.

Tytta!.
02-01-2008, 02:00 PM
Andyland is real world, we live in a perfect place. :D

kaylee
02-01-2008, 02:49 PM
that would be cuckooland then??

Tytta!.
02-01-2008, 02:55 PM
Nope.

Deboogle!.
02-01-2008, 02:56 PM
:help:

tangerine_dream
02-01-2008, 03:15 PM
Have fun at DC, Kate. :wavey: Hopefully the boys will give you something to cheer about.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=3221740
Not too late for Roddick to make adjustments

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/0118/ten_g_roddick_580.jpg
Photo caption: After winning nine combined events in 2004-2005, Andy Roddick has just three titles the last two years.

----------------------
The next time Andy Roddick plays a competitive match, he'll be on the dreaded European clay leading the U.S. against Austria in the opening round of the Davis Cup. Less certain is how the rest of 2008 will unfold following another tough loss in a Grand Slam.

Roddick's defeat to an inspired Philipp Kohlschreiber in the third round of the Australian Open was the latest disappointment and marked the fifth time in the past eight majors the Texan failed to advance past the fourth round.

Kohlschreiber, the diminutive German with the big game, produced an astounding 104 winners and dictated proceedings on backcourt rallies, keeping Roddick lingering behind the baseline. Ken Meyerson, his straight-talking agent, admitted that's no place for him to be if he intends to win a second Grand Slam title.

"Why would Andy resort to playing more of a retrieving-type game as opposed to more of an aggressive game?'' Meyerson asked. "I don't know whether it's nerves or deliberate, but I can only say his best tennis is when he takes that first ball and pummels it, whether it's a return on a second serve and he really goes for it, or is what we know as his classic one-two -- big serve, big forehand. :bowdown:

"Maybe 'frustrating' is not the right word, but when Andy plays that way, it's clearly and objectively not as effective as when he steps up and beats the crap out of the ball. I don't want Andy to get too complicated, and I don't like to see him work so hard to win points.'' :bowdown:

The world No. 6 toiled for almost four hours against Kohlschreiber and was on the wrong end of a 3½-hour epic against Richard Gasquet on the grass at Wimbledon last year, perhaps his most devastating loss. Both had a few similarities, apart from the fifth set ending 8-6.

Roddick was only broken twice by Kohlschreiber, which is little surprise, given he finished second behind towering Croat Ivo Karlovic in points won on first serve last year. But while Kohlschreiber won more than half on his own second serve, that figure shrunk to 36 percent for Roddick.

Against Gasquet, the Frenchman similar in stature to Kohlschreiber and also blessed with a picturesque one-handed backhand, Roddick blew a two-set advantage in the quarterfinals. He dropped serve, again, just twice, with Gasquet registering 93 winners and claiming almost half of Roddick's second-serve points. The number dwindled to 34 percent for the American.

"Guys seem to play well against Andy, and I think part of that is that he allows them to play against him,'' said ESPN commentator Jimmy Arias, a former world No. 5. "Kohlschreiber, by everyone's perception, was unbelievable. But I have a feeling that it's Andy's game bringing it out.'' :bowdown:

Coaching guru Nick Bollettieri agreed with Meyerson's assessment that his court position needs altering, saying Roddick can't hurt anyone from beyond the baseline, especially with his backhand. Interestingly, he suggested a little more variety on the serve, too, to keep the opponent guessing. (On a related note, Roddick's nemesis, or should that be, most everyone's nemesis, Roger Federer, has often said he can read the serve.)

"The players on the other side got to know that Andy will be coming in, not from way back behind the baseline or on shots anybody would come in on, he's got to come in when you don't expect him to,'' Bollettieri said. "And then Andy doesn't do that. It's a shame because he's competitive and he fights his butt off.''

Why, as others have asked, doesn't Roddick take more chances when returning, for instance, given his serve is rarely under threat?

Roddick won't have an opportunity to redeem himself until the French Open -- the very venue he has lost in the first round the last two years.

When he came close to notching a long-awaited second scalp over Federer at the Masters Cup two years ago, holding match points, Roddick won more points than Federer returning first serves and was at more than 40 percent on second serves.

"I'm surprised it hasn't happened when his steady, grind-it-out play hasn't worked,'' Arias said. "If that's not working, let's go to Plan B. Then again, it might be hard for him to think like that because he's losing a tiebreaker. It's still unbelievably tight, so he's thinking, 'This is what I need to do.' It's a tough situation in some ways.''

Taking more risks is an approach endorsed by 1991 Wimbledon champion Michael Stich, who, at one stage a few years ago, was in talks to informally work with Roddick. (Stich was also represented by Meyerson.) Adding a looping topspin forehand wouldn't hurt either, he said.

Roddick is still only 25, which gives him time to add to his arsenal. So it's too early for him to panic, said Stich, who retooled his own forehand with Sven Groeneveld -- the Dutchman who frequently coaches Australian Open finalist Ana Ivanovic -- following foot surgery in 1995 and reached the French Open final a year later at age 27.

"I said after my second operation, 'My forehand sucks, basically, and I want to work on it,''' Stich said. "I changed my forehand in three months' time, not completely, but I changed it. I found out that even at that stage in your career, you can add to your game. With Andy, I do believe he can improve and still win a Grand Slam title.''

In the immediate future, meeting up with his Davis Cup teammates next week in Vienna as the U.S. begins the defense of its title could be the perfect tonic.

"To hang with the guys, I think it's therapeutic for him mentally, and it's good for him to get back into a team atmosphere,'' Meyerson said. "Andy is such a guy's guy in terms of enjoying the camaraderie of a team.''

Deboogle!.
02-01-2008, 03:22 PM
Cool so even Andy's fucking agent knows what the problem is...... :smash:

Kate87
02-01-2008, 03:40 PM
Andyland is real world, we live in a perfect place. :D

well said:angel:
10 FH winners rock:rocker2:

thanks Tangy, but I still don't know if I can get tickets:rolleyes:

kaylee
02-01-2008, 05:19 PM
I will leave u guys to it then - yeah good article - it does say something when your agent knows what is wrong with your game.

Deboogle!.
02-01-2008, 05:21 PM
especially when your agent is Ken.

kaylee
02-01-2008, 05:25 PM
Yeah and I like Ken!

Deboogle!.
02-01-2008, 05:29 PM
you do? :unsure:

tangerine_dream
02-01-2008, 05:55 PM
So PimPim has retired at the ripe old age of 25 because his shoulder won't heal. I think the mechanics of Andy's serve are perfectly sound, he has had no shoulder problems, so for once he's been lucky that way. :yeah:

I love how GMers are in mourning over Pim, calling him a "big talent with big potential" :lol: I'm glad that Pim's last professional match was vs Andy in Davis Cup. It was a teeny tiny small little dish of revenge. :smoke:

I don't think Pim's retirement will be permanent. He just needs a break.

kaylee
02-01-2008, 06:04 PM
I saw that too what a drag. Andy is lucky that his serve doesn't put a lot of strain on his shoulder. Nice article well at least he admitted that he should have done things differently in that Kolscreiber match however onwards and upwards!

partygirl
02-02-2008, 08:32 AM
ANDY RODDICK: Long story short, I should have let my forehand ride a little bit more. Kind of watching the tape, I realize that. I needed to kind of establish that shot in rallies a little bit more, maybe not let guys take control of it and take pot shots, make them a little bit more uncomfortable.:spit::rolls::haha:
Oh my god i don't believe it.:wavey:

arodfanpe666o
02-02-2008, 09:46 AM
It's good he is talking like that, but if he is going to change something...time will let us see...

tangerine_dream
02-02-2008, 06:57 PM
Kinda-sorta-well-not-really Andy news but...

From TR.net:
It's official: ESPN dumped both Indian Wells (the Pacific Life Open) and Miami (the Sony Ericsson Open). The Pac Life will be shown by local Fox Sportsnet affiliates and the same goes for the SE until the finals when CBS comes in. As a Fox tennis columnist, I'm [Matt Cronin] somewhat pleased, but Fox isn't sending their own crew, so it will be a collection of analysts picked by TWI, IMG's broadcasting arm. Justin Gimelstob is said to be in the mix. Hopefully, numerous Fox affiliates will pick up the action but how many is yet to be determined.
*sigh* Those of us with no Tennis Channel will be seeing less tennis this year. :sad:

kaylee
02-02-2008, 07:04 PM
Never mind Tangerine I will send you messages from Miami, thank goodness I am going. We seem to be lucky in Canada though with tennis feed but we do rely a lot on ESPN.

Deboogle!.
02-02-2008, 07:12 PM
holy shit.... but that doesn't even sound like TTC will show it anyway :shrug:

Tytta!.
02-02-2008, 07:50 PM
ESPN sucks. :) :D

Seriously, that sucks. :tape:

partygirl
02-02-2008, 10:12 PM
Godfuckingdamnitsonofabitchassholes!:fiery::tears:
I am so mad right now, when am i going to see tennis???:ras:

kaylee
02-03-2008, 03:49 PM
err try on the computer? Looks like that is the only way grrr that is ridiculous!!!

jasmine(usa)
02-04-2008, 06:28 PM
Kinda-sorta-well-not-really Andy news but...

From TR.net:

*sigh* Those of us with no Tennis Channel will be seeing less tennis this year. :sad:
:confused: I hate to hear that. More ESPN...:bs:It's been awhile since I've posted in here. I still see some familiar names though. :)

kaylee
02-04-2008, 07:39 PM
hellooooooo!

blosson
02-04-2008, 10:42 PM
Wow, every life member has a gold bar bling under their names!

I've got a bloody silver one...

kaylee
02-05-2008, 01:39 PM
But yours says Premium and Re's says Lifetime maybe that is the difference. I am just registered!

Tytta!.
02-05-2008, 01:42 PM
Silver = 1 year premium
Gold = Lifetime Premium

kristanmichelle
02-05-2008, 01:54 PM

Will these tournaments be on the Tennis Channel?

Deboogle!.
02-05-2008, 02:01 PM
Will these tournaments be on the Tennis Channel?Not that I'm aware of :shrug:

Fee
02-05-2008, 08:40 PM
Since we don't have a thread yet, I'll put this here:

http://www.sapopentennis.com/schedule/tvschedule.asp

2008 SAP OPEN TV SCHEDULE

Comcast Sports Net Bay Area and other Comcast & FSN affiliates around the United States will provide national television coverage of the SAP Open singles semifinals on Saturday, February 23 (1:00pm PST & 7:00pm PST) and the singles final on Sunday, February 24 (1:00pm PST). Comcast Sports Net Bay Area will provide LIVE coverage of the first semifinal singles match on Saturday at 1:00pm (PST) and the singles final on Sunday at 3:00pm (PST). Comcast Sports Net Bay Area will provide tape delayed broadcast of the second singles semifinal at 9:00pm (PST) on Saturday. Some of the other Comcast & FSN affiliates around the USA will show the matches live and others will broadcast the matches on a tape delayed basis. Please check local listings for SAP Open television coverage in your area.

blosson
02-05-2008, 08:49 PM
Silver = 1 year premium
Gold = Lifetime Premium

I was stingy :o

Tytta!.
02-05-2008, 08:57 PM
It was for kaylee not for you :lol: :smooch: :hug:

kaylee
02-06-2008, 01:30 PM
awwww thanks Re :kiss:

Tytta!.
02-06-2008, 01:32 PM
Sure, anytime.

kaylee
02-06-2008, 01:34 PM
errrr in that case why am I not silver :confused:

Tytta!.
02-06-2008, 01:59 PM
Because you didn't pay for your membership.

kaylee
02-06-2008, 02:47 PM
ahhhhhh I see I didn't know you had to. See you learn something new everyday!!!

Tytta!.
02-06-2008, 02:57 PM
:p

kaylee
02-06-2008, 03:19 PM
:wavey:

Tytta!.
02-06-2008, 03:29 PM
:wavey:

kaylee
02-06-2008, 03:42 PM
:lol:

Tytta!.
02-06-2008, 03:55 PM
:confused:

tangerine_dream
02-06-2008, 04:36 PM
I'm liking these articles from tennis writers who want to try to 'fix' Andy. People still care! They still believe in him. :D

One other thing is: I think Andy is trying to complicate his game too much. It's okay to use slices and lobs and topspin to change things up but when he relies on them to try to win a match it doesn't work. He can beat just about anybody with his normal power serve-and-forehand game. It doesn't matter if it's one dimensional. 95% of the tour is one dimensional. I think in some ways he's lost sight of what his own game is about, which is why he seems so confused sometimes.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=3231271
Capitalizing on strengths is next step for Roddick
By Joel Drucker
February 6, 2008

Fighting for the game's most prestigious titles doesn't figure to be easy, but then again, Andy Roddick has never shied away from putting in what his Davis Cup captain Patrick McEnroe likes to call "the hard yards."

Gauging the future of America's best men's tennis player is a tough proposition. The contemporary tennis landscape is thick with competition. At 25, Roddick is a tennis veteran, if not exactly a statesman, certainly experienced enough to know how rough it is among the elite. Newly-crowned Australian Open champion Novak Djokovic is five years younger than Roddick. Others, such as the surprising Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and Roddick contemporaries David Ferrer and David Nalbandian, are potentially rough customers. Rafael Nadal is still only 21, and Roger Federer is but a year older than Roddick.

What's easier than predicting Roddick's prospects is to take a clinical look at the steps Roddick has taken, and see how his tools perhaps can position him for a run to the top of the game -- even in the wake of an earlier-than-expected exit from the Australian Open.

"I made a point of being in very good shape coming into the Australian Open this year, and I was," Roddick said last week in a conference call. "That being said, I think I might have relied too much on movement. Long story short, I should have let my forehand ride a little bit more. Kind of watching the tape [of his three matches in Melbourne], I realize that. I needed to kind of establish that shot in rallies a little bit more, maybe not let guys take control of it and take pot shots, make them a little bit more uncomfortable."

And yet in many ways, inside the lines Roddick is caught between a rock and a hard place as he tries to sort out his mix of offense and defense. Over the course of 18 months under the tutelage of Jimmy Connors, Roddick has worked to improve his backhand, frequently (but not constantly) attempted to take away time from his opponents and, as you'd expect most of all from a Connors client, compete with exceptional urgency.

But it's not easy to overhaul a game based on certain techniques -- particularly at the highest levels. While Roddick's serve and forehand do much to open up the court for him, his transition tools -- approach shots and volleys, as well as service returns -- do not often capitalize on his two big weapons. Knowing this, opponents often float back service returns, confident that Roddick will rarely serve and volley or effectively penetrate with his second shot. And when serving to Roddick, it's frequently comforting to know when spinning one to his backhand that he'll rarely take advantage of it and pound one with exceptional force.

Given Roddick's massive serve -- he won 91 percent of his service games last year, second on the tour -- he could well consider playing his return games as boldly as possibly. The mindset would be to take big cuts at returns, drive balls hard and deep, follow a few into the net -- in short: more or less take the racket out of the server's hands in the pursuit of one break to win the set. This was the approach Pete Sampras often took, a tactic Jim Courier called "pure offense."

But that style hasn't always suited Roddick. Like Connors, Roddick often prefers hitting a lot of balls to grind his way through a match. Word had it last month that instead Roddick was looking to rely on his fitness, movement and dogged focus to make opponents work as hard as possible on every point. Then again, Roddick himself noticed that in Australia he overemphasized movement at the expense of offense.

That early loss was a jolt for both Roddick and Connors. "He takes [the losses] rough also," said Roddick of his fiery coach. "I think it all hit us badly because we thought I was playing well enough to make a run there. The way the draw was, we liked the way it was going to shake out. I think we're all pretty upset with it. That being said, I think his biggest thing as far as coaching was, 'Don't let this discourage you. You put in a lot of hard work. You were very prepared here. Don't let this kind of get in your head and stop working.' He was calling me every day after Australia and really trying to push that point home."

The configuration of Roddick and his coaching staff is unusual. Roddick's brother John, a former All-American at the University of Georgia, is at heart the day-to-day coach, with Connors acting as senior consultant-guru.

Connors travels selectively. He was not present at last year's season-ending Tennis Masters Cup or the Davis Cup final. Connors won't be at this weekend's forthcoming Davis Cup tie, nor will he be in attendance when Roddick kicks off his North American season in San Jose, Calif., the week of Feb. 18.

"I think it's going to be more preparation-based this year," said Roddick. "I knew when we started working together that Jimmy is not going to come out of retirement and travel 35 weeks a year. That's just not something that he's going to do."

In large part, Roddick's days as tennis' crossover icon are in the past, going back to 2003 when he was No. 1 in the world and became only the second tennis player to host "Saturday Night Live." Instead, each morning he wakes up at 6:30 a.m. and grapples with the question every tennis player must answer: How do I get better? No one can anticipate the results -- but rest assured that Roddick will give it his all.

Photo caption: In an all too familiar scene, Andy Roddick has exited recent Grand Slam events sooner than expected.

kaylee
02-06-2008, 05:08 PM
awww nice article. I think he needs to hire us on MTF and we could coach him.

tangerine_dream
02-13-2008, 05:35 PM
I like the outfit Andy has on. :)

Photo captions: Tennis Player Andy Roddick attends The Sports Illustrated Unveils 2008 Swimsuit Issue Celebration Party at 7 World Trade Center February 12,2008 in New York City.

SI Swimsuit model Brooklyn Decker attends The Sports Illustrated Unveils 2008 Swimsuit Issue - Press Conference at 7 World Trade Center on February 12,2008 in New York City.

No photos of Andy and Brooklyn together. :o

WIREIMAGE ISSUES

btw, for those of us who have accounts at WireImage (Carole? anyone else?) I spoke to Cynthia Lum asking what happened to the sports section of WireImage, because there have been no new tennis photos since Wimbledon of last year. She said that since Getty had bought WireImage last year (http://francisspecker.blogspot.com/2007/02/getty-buys-wireimage-analysis.html), WireImage has dropped most of it's sports photo coverage. :sad:

GollyLou
02-13-2008, 05:53 PM
She said that since Getty had bought WireImage last year (http://francisspecker.blogspot.com/2007/02/getty-buys-wireimage-analysis.html), WireImage has dropped most of it's sports photo coverage. :sad:

:sad::sad::sad: That sucks.

kaylee
02-13-2008, 06:12 PM
boooooooo!

dibs
02-14-2008, 09:41 AM
I know the Werthiem postbag on DC has been covered elsewhere but the part I liked, on a more lighthearted note, was the anagram:

Andy Roddick: Candid Dorky (in interviews)

kaylee
02-14-2008, 01:52 PM
yeah I saw that too heehee nice one!

~*BGT*~
02-18-2008, 02:57 PM
Andy's drink is finally out...
--------------------------

Andy and AriZona Beverage Co. Team Up to Create Hypotonic Sports Drink!

“Andy Roddick, the All-American tennis Pro, delivers the fastest serve on the tennis court. He chooses a drink that can measure up to his extreme level of performance.”

Team Roddick joined forces last year with AriZona Beverage Co. to create a new Lemon Lime flavor sports drink that can match the level of endurance of a professional athlete. The result is the Hypotonic Sports Drink. With no preservatives, artificial colors and 100% natural flavor, it is the only Hy-Performance sports drink fortified with calcium, magnesium, potassium, and Vitamin A & E, infused with Amino Acids for a better game.

Ar.com caught up with AriZona Beverage’s Jim Gunther to learn more about the revolutionary Hypotonic Sports Drink. “In terms of sports drinks, there are three types, Isotonic, Hypotonic, and Hypertonic. All three names have to do with how the drink is absorbed by the body,” Jim explained, “Andy’s Sports drink is a Hypotonic.

But why is Hypotonic better for your body? Hypotonic drinks have a concentration that is lower than the blood. Therefore these drinks are rapidly absorbed into the blood stream. They begin
the re-hydration process while simultaneously helping to replenish carbohydrate energy reserves. The value of the Hypotonic drink is explained right on the bottle’s label. “Faster
Re-hydration means less fatigue, quicker response and overall better athletic performance. So serve up AriZona’s new Hypotonic, just like Andy.”

Andy’s Hypotonic Sports Drink is currently available in select markets throughout New York, Chicago and Florida but you can score yours at www.drinkarizona.com

Be sure to check back to Ar.com this weekend for discounts and interactive features from AriZona Beverage Co. and Hypotonic Sports Drink.

http://www.andyroddick.com/3903/3903/

----------------------

I bet it's delicious.. like Andy. :drool:

Here's the link to the drink online. I might order some.

http://www.drinkarizona.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=2&idproduct=238

kaylee
02-18-2008, 03:16 PM
hmm do we get samples of Andy too?

dibs
02-18-2008, 03:35 PM
hmm do we get samples of Andy too?

Check ingredients list carefully!! If packaging in the States is anything like England Spanish is sometimes used e.g. the never put 'water' instead it's always 'aqua' so beware if the drink contains 'sudor'.

Deboogle!.
02-19-2008, 12:03 AM
Pretty sure in the US, all of the ingredients must be in (at least) English. Never seen "agua" used instead of water, only in addition sometimes if they have the ingredients in Spanish too. Our laws are way too strict for that :lol:

blosson
02-19-2008, 07:03 AM
The name of this tonic reminds of hyppo

hyppo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WYDq_DJwQU)

kaylee
02-19-2008, 01:38 PM
man don't think we will be getting that here somehow.

dibs
02-19-2008, 07:16 PM
NEW YORK, N.Y. (Feb. 19, 2008) - Lindsay Davenport topped an all-American lineup of tennis stars when she was selected by the Newport Beach Breakers with the first pick in the 2008 World TeamTennis Marquee Player Draft. Andy Roddick was picked up by the St. Louis Aces with the second selection.

Roddick, who made his WTT debut in 2000, returns to the St. Louis Aces for the first time since 2005. Roddick played for the Aces from 2001-2003 and again in 2005.

kaylee
02-19-2008, 08:00 PM
now THAT would be fun to see!

otowngurl86apa
02-19-2008, 08:06 PM
I got super excited when I saw he was playing WTT because DC has a team now and I can go to those... but of course Andy and Mike and Bob are in the western conference :(

Deboogle!.
02-20-2008, 12:08 AM
interesting decision to return to WTT THIS of all years - as if his summer is not going to be busy enough :help:

snaillyyy
02-20-2008, 12:41 AM
But Deb, when does he ever do something that makes sense. ;) :p

Deboogle!.
02-20-2008, 12:43 AM
He doesn't ever, so it fits perfectly ;)

snaillyyy
02-20-2008, 12:48 AM
We would be shocked if he did otherwise :lol:

kaylee
02-20-2008, 01:21 PM
Deb is your cold better? Hmmmm maybe he needs the practice and no pressure?

Deboogle!.
02-20-2008, 02:12 PM
Yeah I feel fine thanks :)

dibs
02-22-2008, 11:43 AM
Not sure if this is the right thread but:-

http://www.rmkchampionships.com/1/news/2008/roddick_wildcard.asp

kaylee
02-22-2008, 01:54 PM
Dibs whereabouts in the UK do ya live, just curious. Yeah another dumb move.

dibs
02-22-2008, 05:28 PM
Hi Kaylee - your post on the 'John is slightly awkward' thread just made me laugh!! I'm sure Andy can talk enough for 2.

At the moment I'm living in Oxford at the university but come from a little village in East Sussex down in the south of England.

Where in Canada are you?

kaylee
02-22-2008, 05:40 PM
I live in Toronto but I am British by birth. I had some friends who went to Oxford poly and also the hospital there so I know it well. Glad you liked the comment, well judging from the excerpts I have read Andy has no trouble talking!!!

kaylee
02-28-2008, 03:19 PM
I just found this on Tennis-X and found it a good read.

Ruthless Roddick Plays to Win

by Sean Randall

As many of you know I’m big NFL football guy. Love the game, the competition and every now and then someone says something interesting. One the memorable riffs I’ve heard was from then NY Jets coach Herman Edward, who during a press conference in 2002 made it crystal clear that “you play (sports) to win the game.” Simple as can be. We play to win. And I think that philosophy applies in tennis, and specifically to Andy Roddick, who I believe carries with him that same passion and focus, he plays to win.

Now I know Roddick also draws a lot of heat and venom from fans, critics, journalists and bloggers (even me sometimes), but the guy lays it out on the court every time out there.

And love him or hate him you have to give Roddick his fair due. At just 25 he’s already put together one hell of a career resume:

Roddick’s a sure-fire, first ballot Hall of Famer.

He’s won the Triple Crown of tennis – finished as a year-end No. 1, scored a Grand Slam title and won the Davis Cup.

He’s the last guy before Federer to rank No. 1 (a good trivia question no less).

He’s got the fastest serve ever recorded at 155mph.

He’s downright comedic at times. Remember his press conference after Federer wiped him out at the Australian Open last year.

He’s big into charitable causes, and he seems to carry himself the right way off the court.

And while top dog Roger Federer’s been rolling with longtime girlfriend Mirka, Roddick’s been making the most of his stardom by getting it on with movie stars (Mandy Moore), swimsuit models (Brooklyn Decker) and even WTA starlets (Maria Sharapova allegedly). Not bad for a scrawny kid from Nebraska.

Sure they are more talented, better all-around players than Andy in the game right now. But in my mind, if I needed someone to win a single match for me and Federer or Rafael Nadal weren’t answering their phone, I’d probably have pick Roddick.

Yet with all the good that comes with Roddick, there’s also the bad.

Last week Roddick drew the ire of many for his apparent bullying of 18-year-old Kei Nishikori in his second round win in San Jose. (I should add that thankfully Andy won San Jose preventing Radek Stepanek from breaking out that freaky worm dance again.) I didn’t watch the match, and maybe the reports were indeed exaggerated, but broke out some of his on-court intimidation tactics en route to victory.

Much like his coach Jimmy Connors did before him, Roddick enjoys strutting his stuff, smack-talking his opponents and making it abundantly clear that when he’s not playing guys named Federer, Nadal, Safin or engaged in battles with his fellow American friends, the court is his, that he’s the boss. (Now c’mon, wouldn’t we all love to see him try to drop his act on Federer or Nadal?)

If you are offended by such antics from Roddick I completely understand. If you want to call him in an obnoxious asshole or a jerk for his routine that’s fair. The guy’s not trying to or going to, for that matter, win the sportsmanship award anytime soon. But what Roddick is trying to do is win the match in whatever way possible, within the rules. And if that means he needs to verbally attack the opponent, than that’s the measure he’ll take.

Like it or not, at least the guy owns up to it.

Said Roddick after the win over Nishikori: “Tonight, I just needed to make my presence felt a little. Make him think about something other than how well he’s been playing…. I’ve been a brat for a long time. This isn’t something that came along in the last year and a half with Jim. … Things were happening for him without him thinking so I wanted him to think about other stuff and not how well he’s playing. There was nothing personal in it. He’s probably not that happy with me for doing that. But I don’t need any young friends.”

Well, Jimmy may or may not have given you the manual on how to act like a brat on court, but Andy, I’m sure he’s not stopping you from doing it. And for Connors, there’s no reason for him to do so.

I honestly get the sense that Roddick feels that against some players he needs to make his “presence felt” to give himself a better look at a win or win at all.

Fact is, Roddick’s serve is being returned more and more each year, and his forehand seems to have lost some of the sting it once had. Wins are not coming any easier for Roddick, and he’s finding it increasingly tougher to make an impression on his opponents on court, and that’s where this gamesmanship comes in. And that’s why I think we’ll only see more of this ruthless, aggressive behavior from Roddick in future.

Roddick also understands that tennis is such a thinking game, that tennis pros operate on such a mental tightrope that any kind of disruption to their concentration – be it an amusing comment or an in-your-face trash talk remark – could through off their rhythm and ultimately through off their game. As Roddick said, make the other guy think about other stuff and not just how well he’s playing.

Is it a dirty move? A form of gamesmanship? Probably. But there’s no rule against it directly. So if you play Roddick you might want to prepare to be verbally blasted and deal with it. Crush Andy’s serve back. Call him Mandy. Tell him his backhand’s crap. Something. It’s the pros. It’s mano y mano. Gladiators. Heck, in other sports like the NFL, MLB and NBA players trash talk all the time, why not tennis? And it’s not like Roddick’s totally abusing existing rules as some players do by calling injury timeouts and using delay tricks.
That all said, even though I’m not a big Roddick fan per se, I actually support his bully campaign. As despicable as it may be, it’s good fun to watch and I really hope he doesn’t stop by winning matches without it. For my money Roddick’s great value. And yeah, his bullying shows what an arse he can be, but it also shows just how much the guy wants to win. And that’s why he plays. To win.

Deboogle!.
02-29-2008, 09:05 PM
This is like by some CBS Sports blog? I dunno who it is exactly, whether it's a real sports person or just a fan, but it's too funny not to post :haha:
-------------------------------
http://arno.blogs.sportsline.com/mcc/blogs/entry/5817789/6707345

Andy Roddick – An American Hero
Posted on: February 29, 2008 3:53 pmScore: 68Log-in to rate:Log-in to rate: Log-in to rate:

Andy Roddick is a true American hero, at least in the tennis world.

The Merriam-Webster Online dictionary gives several definitions to the word hero. It can be “an illustrious warrior” or “one that shows great courage” or “the central figure in an event, period, or movement.”

If you want a more comprehensive definition you can go to m-w.com … later.

I’ll give you that Roddick may not be an illustrious warrior. Tennis is no war. But he has always defended the colors of his country with pride and courage in numerous Davis Cup ties, in a time when most tennis superstars would rather focus on their individual results.

The only other American superstar who, in recent memory, played for the U.S. with the same passion and dedication is John McEnroe. He later became captain of the U.S. Davis Cup team. His brother Patrick is now in charge of it.

"I've been extremely lucky. We've got a group of guys that love to play for their country, that love supporting each other, and that have answered the call every single time I've asked them," Patrick McEnroe said before the opening round against Austria earlier this year.

When John was captain, his main problem was to convince Pete Sampras and Andre Agassi to play for their country.

Roddick’s commitment finally paid off last December when, along with James Blake and the Bryan twins, Mike and Bob, he defeated Russia to claim the first Davis Cup for the U.S. (still the most successful country in this competition with 32 titles) since 1995.

Since 2003, when he finished the season ranked N.1 in the world, Roddick has never fallen outside of the top six in the ATP rankings. :scratch:

He has won at least one tournament each year since 2001; claimed a total of 24 titles in his career, including the 2003 U.S. Open, which makes him the 3rd most successful active player behind Roger Federer (53) and Lleyton Hewitt (26) and lost three Grand Slam finals in Wimbledon twice and at the U.S. Open last year, all to Federer.

Federer is the player who took over the No.1 spot in the world rankings on February 2004 and has yet to relinquish it as of today. And Federer is exactly what stands between Roddick and tennis greatness. Roddick will be 26 in August. Agassi won his 4th Grand Slam title at 29.

Even though he might never join the ranks of Sampras, Agassi, McEnroe or Jimmy Connors at the top of U.S.tennis world, Roddick is definitely a remarkable athlete.

Who can argue now with the fact that Roddick is a central figure in the world of tennis in the first decade of the 21st century?

kaylee
02-29-2008, 09:50 PM
:lol::lol: nice read

MissFairy
03-01-2008, 02:23 PM
Wow. Is he on the Roddick payroll? d:

Deboogle!.
03-01-2008, 03:12 PM
probably :)

kaylee
03-01-2008, 04:47 PM
:haha: if so Andy paid him well.

Deboogle!.
03-04-2008, 07:45 PM
very interesting... Andy has not entered Houston.

arodfanpe666o
03-04-2008, 07:51 PM
He did not play last year also...

Deboogle!.
03-04-2008, 07:54 PM
well but he was entered last year... he was legitimately hurt. This year it moved across town to a new club and he didn't enter. interesting. it leaves a shred of hope that he might show in Monte Carlo.

tangerine_dream
03-04-2008, 08:09 PM
He'll more likely spend the time in New York with his girlfriend.

*edit*

From Ted Robinson's blog.

Mixed reviews on Roddick's San Jose win. (http://mediazonetennis.typepad.com/tedrobinsons_matchpoints/2008/02/mixed-reviews-f.html)

Interesting to hear mixed reviews of Andy Roddick’s win in San Jose. Some feedback focused on strong play from Roddick, a sound strong backhand that he was willing to rip up the line, his potent serve (particularly in the final against Radek Stepanek) and a growing confidence as he rolled through the week (albeit against no top ranked players until the final.)

Then there were the comments that ranged from concern to contempt for Roddick’s attitude. He derailed Japanese teen Kei Nishikori, conqueror of James Blake in the Delray final, and unloaded a verbal barrage in the process. Nishikori first claimed not to hear Roddick, then admitted an unwillingness to repeat the words publicly.

The esteemed Jon Wertheim, who shares with me a tendency to like Roddick, framed the San Jose incident in the light of recent transgressions, notably Andy’s explosion at umpire Emmanuel Joseph during his loss to Kohlschreiber in Australia, and wondered if there has been a sea change in Roddick’s demeanor. Fair question- is he being influenced by Jimmy Connors?

Here’s what I know: from an early age, Roddick understood his position as the heir to the Sampras-Agassi throne. As a sports fan, he was aware of tennis’ position in the American sports arena and went to pains to sell/promote the sport much more than himself. His triumphant media tour of New York after winning the 2003 US Open was masterful. It signaled that American tennis was set for the next 6-8 years.

Of course, we couldn’t have predicted Roger Federer. Andy could never have imagined not just Fed’s 12 Slams but also the 15-1 head-to-head dominance of Roger.

And for four years, imagine how many times Roddick has heard that line of questioning….Why is Roger so good? What can you do to stop him? Can you beat him? Is Roger the best ever? Think Roddick may tire of that?

Something else I know: Roddick has been great with young American players on tour. At Wimbledon, he has insisted on using the upper-tier of the men’s locker room, the area to which lesser players and juniors are relegated. There Andy hands with the group that has largely been his peers while the other top-ranked pros dress on the lower level. Roddick is also a thorough American sports fan, thus the concept of “talking” to an opponent may not strike him as foreign as it does many who love tennis. :yeah:

Story I never forget: 2000 Davis Cup in Los Angeles. Johnny Mac, as captain, chooses 17-year-old Roddick as practice player. What Andy learned was that the role called for him to be “fresh meat,” in this case for Andre Agassi. The great Agassi punished Roddick on the court in their head-to-head practice match. And then Andre piled on a verbal assault. The cumulative effect was so fierce as to force Johnny Mac to halt the proceedings. :eek:

I have only talked briefly to Andy about that time, but I am fairly sure he has never forgotten. So when he “talks trash” to Nishikori, Andy may think it’s nothing compared to what he took from Andre. And to the treatment of umpires, well could Connors be advising Roddick that his flare-ups are nothing compared to the classics of Jimmy’s era? http://i32.tinypic.com/1tnfq9.jpg

The world of super models, high-stakes poker and private jets in which Roddick lives is another issue, one raised in a fair manner by Jon Wertheim. And I agree with Jon’s conclusion. If Roddick has veered in some ways, the Andy I know will return.

Deboogle!.
03-05-2008, 10:55 PM
it leaves a shred of hope that he might show in Monte Carlo.
or not.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/other/5593400.html

Kate87
03-07-2008, 09:58 PM
http://blog.douglasrobson.com/2008/03/07/roddick-sheds-connors.aspx

PLUS
Bodo here (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3281635&name=bodo_peter) and there (http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2008/03/jimbo.html). Bonnie Ford (http://*****.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=3281822) on Jimmy/Andy and Steve Tignor mentions it, too 6. Roddick-Connors: I think we can look back and call this partnership a success. It certainly re-motivated Roddick at a point when he needed it. It also gave him an immediate boost that led him back to the final at Flushing Meadows and resulted in only a couple of severely disappointing losses (Gasquet at Wimbledon; Kohlschreiber at the Aussie Open). Otherwise, he and Jimbo just couldn’t climb over Mt. Federer.

From a playing standpoint, the days when Connors had Roddick moving forward more and using his backhand as a weapon had passed. (In the Davis Cup final last December, an event Connors didn’t attend, Roddick won with defense and serving.) That is a disappointment, and maybe it shows that Connors just wasn’t dedicated enough day-to-day to have a lasting effect on Roddick. If a coach is going to change even one part of a pro’s game, he has to be there at all times to guard against the inevitable backsliding. I wonder if Andy’s good form in Dubai comes from a feeling of liberation, to just play for himself. If so, Jimmy will have given him boost on the way in, and one on the way out.

http://tennisworld.typepad.com/thewrap/2008/03/the-ce-10-sprin.html

Kate87
03-10-2008, 03:07 PM
nothing new just a nice article from the British press:)

Roddick win proves him the world's 'best bad player ever'
By Paul Newman in Dubai
Monday, 10 March 2008

Andy Roddick sometimes calls himself "the best bad tennis player of all time". The 25-year-old American has 25 titles to his name and has not been out of the world's top 20 for more than six years, yet he has spent a professional lifetime answering questions about the deficiencies in his game.

Apart from his thunderous serve and booming forehand, it is said, the world No 6 cannot play. And when Jimmy Connors helped bring about a rise in his fortunes following his appointment as coach two summers ago, all the talk was of the genius of the eight-times Grand Slam champion rather than the man with just the 2003 US Open to his name.

Roddick, who parted company with Connors 10 days ago, insists he has not had a point to prove, but his performances over the last week here at the Barclays Dubai Championships have told their own story.

The American had never played here before and arrived, exhausted after three separate flights in 24 hours, the day before his first match. Yet before Saturday night's final against Feliciano Lopez, Roddick had not dropped a set in his previous four matches, against Juan Carlos Ferrero, Paul-Henri Mathieu, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic. Lopez got closer than the others but was worn down by Roddick's sheer consistency and lost 6-7, 6-4, 6-2.

"I was literally asleep on the floor in the players' lounge before my first match, with people stepping over me and Djokovic dropping stuff on me," Roddick said. "I didn't even warm up that day because I was so tired. I really didn't know what to expect. Maybe that's why I played well. I knew I was playing pretty well in my first two matches, but to come out and control my match against Nadal was a big confidence boost for me."

Roddick served 84 aces in his five matches here, but there was much more to his success. While his forehand was in great shape, the improvement that Connors has brought to his backhand was especially evident. Opponents targeted his weaker flank all week, but to no avail.

"I felt I was dictating the rallies with my backhand, keeping it low and hitting it pretty hard," Roddick said after the final. "It's probably not my best shot, but I don't know that it's a glaring weakness any more."

While Nadal and Djokovic are spearheading a new generation of players, Roddick believes he can still be a contender for the biggest prizes. "Sometimes I tell people that I'm the best bad tennis player of all time," he said. "I feel that a lot of the time people talk about up-and-coming players and say they do a lot of stuff better, but I do end up winning a lot of the time.

"If you look at my record against the rest of the top 10, with the exception of Roger Federer, it's pretty good for a guy who can serve but can't really volley or hit a backhand or whose forehand isn't really big any more. The list goes on and on and on, but there must be something there. I'm going to try to figure out."

He added: "I can play tennis sometimes, besides the serve. Ivo Karlovic serves better than I do and he's No 30 in the world, so there has to be something to it. I'm serving well but I'm hitting my forehand pretty well and there's not much I've been unhappy with this week."

Roddick paid full credit to Connors for helping to make him more of an all-round player. When asked whether this week had shown he did not need a coach he replied: "I don't think you can discount what we tried to work for in the last year and a half in a matter of five days. To compare this with baseball, if a coach has a successful run with a team for four years, he leaves and all of a sudden the next year the team are still good, the coach probably had something to do with it."

A questioner asked whether this week could signal the start of a Roddick revival. "I guess it's a back-handed compliment to talk about a resurgence when someone is No 6 in the world," Roddick smiled. "But this week has been a different level from what I've been playing."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/roddick-win-proves-him-the-worlds-best-bad-player-ever-793622.html

Tytta!.
03-10-2008, 03:14 PM
:awww:

Thanks Kate :hug:

Kate87
03-10-2008, 03:25 PM
you're welcome:kiss:

Tytta!.
03-10-2008, 03:34 PM
:smooch:

Kate87
03-10-2008, 03:46 PM
:hug:

Kate87
03-10-2008, 07:46 PM
Justin:woohoo::bowdown:In defense of Andy
Roddick deserves better than the recent word-lashing

Yes, Andy Roddick is my friend. But that's not why I'm about to spout off. This is about coming face-to-face with a fellow writer who I believe took it too far -- even though he's the guy who got me this gig.

I'm writing this because a 25-year-old professional tennis player -- one who has already won the U.S. Open, held the No. 1 ranking in the world and has been the stalwart of the reigning Davis Cup champions -- doesn't deserve to be represented as a failure or a malcontent.

He deserves to be appreciated as a first-ballot Hall-of-Famer who continues to strive for excellence on and of the court. This doesn't mean Roddick shouldn't be subjected to criticism -- one of Andy's most admirable qualities is his self-deprecation and acknowledgement of his flaws (e.g., "I've been a brat long before working with Jimmy Connors, so don't blame that on him!").

I understand the symbiotic relationship between athletes and the media. The more attention and exposure an athlete gets, the more marketable he becomes. The better the access the media gets to an athlete, the better the job it can do to paint interesting, entertaining insights.

Star athletes are big targets, and Roddick has had a huge bulls-eye on his chest since winning the U.S. Open in 2003 and then falling short of other people's unrealistic expectations.

All that said, I feel my colleague Jon Wertheim took it too far in this demeaning and overzealous take on Roddick in his Mailbag a few weeks back.

As far as sportswriters go, Jon is in the top echelon. But if you're going to make statements as accusatory and defamatory as "blowing off kids for autographs," "jaded by your existence," "hating the tour," "insufferable" and insinuating that "everyone from ATP personnel to former Grand Slam champs" concur with your assessment that Andy holds himself as the "smartest guy in the room and everyone else is an idiot," you'd better do better research.

For one, referencing Roddick's charitable foundation in the past tense belittles the effort he continues to put into it and minimizes the $2 million dollars he raised this year and the more than $10 million total he has raised for the Andy Roddick Foundation. Andy lives and breathes his foundation and is making a huge impact in people's lives while using the positive side of his celebrity.

The hits he's taking for not playing "dead rubbers" in Davis Cup competition are utterly ridiculous. How about lauding his unparalleled commitment to the Davis Cup in today's era? Would you prefer Andy save his body after a tie is decided? Or have him pull a Roger Federer/Rafael Nadal, and not play at all? Does the NBA ask Dwyane Wade to play exhibition basketball games after deciding the championship?

Don't fault Roddick for a system that is obsolete. Mocking him for celebrating the Davis Cup accomplishment with a few too many drinks? Is that the worst you can say about him? He's 25, not 17. He signs more autographs then any player on tour. To state he "sucked down champagne and blew off the Portland kids" is too harsh. I highly doubt too many tennis fans left unhappy in Oregon last December after hearing them blow the roof off the stadium during the weekend.

And then the jab about the guarantees? Paying star players to play lower-tier ATP events has gone on since the inception of the tour, and trust me, if tournament promoters didn't see value in it, they wouldn't do it. I know for a fact that Andy has turned down huge sums of money while at events just because it would have been dangerous or unprofessional to play hurt or unprepared.

Go take a look at last year's draw in Bangkok, Thailand, where Andy was scheduled to play after another yeomen's effort in Davis Cup. He flew all the way from Sweden to honor the commitment and give himself the best chance to participate in the event.

When his foot injury worsened, he was faced with a precarious decision: a tournament director asking him to take the court in a compromised state in order to earn an enormous guarantee that could buy a house, or pull himself out of the event because deep down he knew his foot was injured and he wouldn't have been able to give a full effort. That's character; that's what defines someone, not the few times your emotions get the best of you on the court because you care so darn much.

I'm not defending Andy's tirade in Australia, but I also know that, until you feel the emotion of competing and the personal nature associated with it, pundits would be best served toning down their criticism.

Granted, now that my playing days are over, I've also moved over to the safe haven of the press corps. I can verify that it's a lot more comfortable in the safe confines of the media room than the hyper-competitive world of professional sports.

Jon isn't alone in his criticisms, not by a long shot. So my ire isn't just directed at him, but the institution that believes it has the right to hold athletes to a standard there is no way they themselves could uphold. Even Peter Bodo, a guy who's as respected as Wertheim in the elite of tennis writers, suggested Roddick had become somewhat of a jerk during his now-finished working relationship with Connors. And let's not even start with the wave of criticism Roddick has taken on some of the more prominent tennis blogs out there.

I guess that's just a result of the proliferation of media outlets, where any malcontent with a computer and a wireless signal can post a blog and vent his misguided angst. I just hope those with the best view get to have the greatest influence on public opinion.

Maybe a few of the so-called experts that get to sit high above the court, safely tucked away from the pain and pride of competition should have been in Chatham, N.J., last December when Andy found his own way to my charity event during a snow storm when he found out one of my other marquee players couldn't make his flight because of the weather.

Unsolicited, Andy gave up one of his few days off during the offseason and helped raise more than $300,000 for my own pediatric cancer charity. I guarantee you that every one of the 2,000 people who were there would paint a much different picture of Andy than the one splashed across SI.com's tennis section with the headline, "The Ugly American."

Former ATP pro Justin Gimelstob writes bi-weekly for SI.com.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/justin_gimelstob/03/10/defending.roddick/index.html

Tytta!.
03-10-2008, 07:54 PM
Justin :worship: :bowdown:

tangerine_dream
03-10-2008, 08:09 PM
You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Justin Gimelstob again.

Justin. :bowdown:

*writes Justin a love letter in the SI mailbag section* :angel:

jeahhh!
03-10-2008, 08:16 PM
G1mMYy m@nN!111212!!<31!!!!! :rocker2: :hearts:

Deboogle!.
03-10-2008, 08:37 PM
ohhhh I'm so glad it got posted :)

Fee
03-10-2008, 08:38 PM
Finally! SI held this for four days, but I'm glad they worked it out and came to this compromise.

Good on ya, Justin.

blosson
03-10-2008, 08:40 PM
Wow, was JWertheim's blog that bad? I haven't read it but it sounds very negative. What a refreshing article about Andy, it's sad people has to keep reminding the world of his good work every now and then.

Kate87
03-10-2008, 08:53 PM
uh oh wow Andy!:eek::D

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Andy-Roddick/9045547922

tangerine_dream
03-10-2008, 08:55 PM
Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!

http://i30.tinypic.com/vq5hxx.jpg

From Andy Cam: my nephew JC and i at my parents over thanksgiving

Deboogle!.
03-10-2008, 08:57 PM
LMAOOOOO :haha:

blosson
03-10-2008, 09:04 PM
So he stuck to his promise in creating a facebook page. I find this one quite sexy...

http://photos-m.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v215/162/0/9045547922/n9045547922_445836_9763.jpg

Kate87
03-10-2008, 09:04 PM
John on halloween:aplot:

tangerine_dream
03-10-2008, 09:08 PM
Where are the turtle pics?

Kate87
03-10-2008, 09:11 PM
I wanted to see those pics, too:awww:

Fee
03-10-2008, 09:13 PM
How many of those kids have not been seen since they got too close to Andy? When will they heed our warnings? Oh, the humanity!!!!!!!!!!!!!

partygirl
03-10-2008, 09:47 PM
http://i30.tinypic.com/vq5hxx.jpg

From Andy Cam: my nephew JC and i at my parents over thanksgivingThat is supercutie.
...the jeans, not so much.

http://photos-m.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v215/162/0/9045547922/n9045547922_445836_9763.jpgLove that!
the outfit makes the picture.:p

kaylee
03-10-2008, 09:54 PM
dear lord those jeans need to be shredded. Oh dear now all the real stalkers will come out now.

partygirl
03-10-2008, 09:59 PM
I think they are shredded.:p

bunni34
03-10-2008, 11:28 PM
hey guys, I don't post here often, but I love reading everything that is said. I saw this and saw no one else had posted it yet, I guess Andy really wants the Open this year! Sad we won't get to watch him in the olympics though...

Roddick To Skip Olympics, Play Legg Mason

(WUSA) 9-Sports Now has learned exclusively that American tennis superstar Andy Roddick will skip the upcoming summer Olympic games in Beijing, and will instead defend his title at the Legg Mason Tennis Classic in Washington. This year the Legg Mason and the Summer Olympics have conflicting August dates, and Roddick has chosen to stay in the United States in an effort to better prepare himself for the U.S. Open, which begins just a week after the Legg Mason concludes. The Legg Mason begins on August 9th. In 2007, Roddick won the championship in Rock Creek Park, defeating fellow American John Isner.

9-Sports Now has also learned that the Legg Mason company has agreed to continues its role as the title sponsor of Washington's ATP event for 2008. It will mark the 15th consecutive year that Legg Mason has been the tournament's title sponsor.
http://www.wusa9.com/sports/story.aspx?storyid=69494

otowngurl86apa
03-10-2008, 11:33 PM
Ummm wow. I'm having a bit of trouble believing that. He specifically said last year during his acceptance speech, or one of the on court interviews, that he wasn't coming back here this year. I mean I'll be happy to see him, but he's stupid to skip the Olympics.

Tytta!.
03-10-2008, 11:34 PM
:tape:

Deboogle!.
03-10-2008, 11:45 PM
WHAT?

wow this is really disappointing :(

partygirl
03-10-2008, 11:47 PM
Seriously, obviously this would be his 2nd & last chance at it.

That is what is so great about the Olympics you really only get a couple of chances.

D.C is not going anywhere.:p

Stupid.:sad:

Arodfan15
03-10-2008, 11:55 PM
WHAT?! He's SERIOUSLY not going to the Olympics? Unless i'm going crazy, he's said a million times how he's going to play?! I'm really surprised. Wtf.

bunni34
03-10-2008, 11:59 PM
I thought it was weird too, which is why I posted it, I thought maybe you guys would know more info than I did. I mean it seems pretty credible, it's a news site...

Fee
03-11-2008, 12:11 AM
Welllll... if it's true, I can't say I'm surprised. Athletes are starting to pull out or publicly consider pulling out because of the air pollution.

williaer
03-11-2008, 07:46 AM
I'll believe it when I hear it from Andy's (aka. the horses') mouth. Though I understand about the pollution business, I'd still be extremely disappointed if he did in fact skip the Olympic Games.

Tytta!.
03-11-2008, 02:27 PM
I'll believe it when I hear it from Andy's (aka. the horses') mouth. Though I understand about the pollution business, I'd still be extremely disappointed if he did in fact skip the Olympic Games.

Agreed, me too.

kaylee
03-11-2008, 03:16 PM
Me 3. Hmmmm if this IS true I think it would be foolish on the other hand we thought it foolish he went to Dubai, but I realize the Olympics are wayyy more important.

Deboogle!.
03-11-2008, 03:23 PM
The weird thing here is that it's very unlike Andy to pass up an opportunity to play representing the US. That's why it's so odd to me and so out of character.

tangerine_dream
03-11-2008, 04:25 PM
The weird thing here is that it's very unlike Andy to pass up an opportunity to play representing the US. That's why it's so odd to me and so out of character.
This is exactly what I was thinking. He loved Athens and he's so patriotic that I can't believe he'd give up the opportunity to represent and play for his country. And also because a top athlete only has maybe 2 or 3 chances to medal. He's said in the past that he'd love to win an Olympic medal so I'm curious about the sudden change of heart.

Deboogle!.
03-11-2008, 04:38 PM
Exactly, and I remember how he played in Athens, he was so nervous and uptight he didn't play his best stuff. He might be more relaxed this time and play better. I dunno, it's just very weird. It's not that it's a bad decision, i mean of course staying in the US and playing a tourney here would be better for his USO preparations in terms of just the looooong trip right before the USO, but yeah, it's just so odd. But the source is a local CBS news station, not some fly-by-night tabloidy thing. Just strange all-around.

tennis lover
03-11-2008, 05:14 PM
exactly, which is why I was so shocked when I read this in the other thread. :awww:

NicoFan
03-11-2008, 05:26 PM
I just read the news on Tennis Grandstand. I admit that I was a bit shocked too. But I understand why he's doing it. It definitely interrupts a player's flow during the year. The US Open is so important...why take any chances??

Deboogle!.
03-11-2008, 05:36 PM
I guess our point is we thought that the Olympics are also really important to him, especially b/c he's already won the US Open and how much he loves to represent the US .

kristanmichelle
03-11-2008, 07:18 PM
*quietly stunned*

Well, if this is true, I imagine that he is probably trying to stay focused on the US Open.

Kate87
03-11-2008, 07:57 PM

Same here:)

partygirl
03-11-2008, 10:50 PM
I'm curious about the sudden change of heart.Hot girlfriend in the area.;):lol:

NicoFan
03-12-2008, 12:02 AM
Could be anything...pollution, hot girlfriend, travel... :lol:

But it is odd for him. Like everyone is saying, he usually loves to play for his country. :shrug:

I'm sure he'll explain at some point.

Deboogle!.
03-12-2008, 12:02 AM
Well for those waiting to hear it from Andy......

Roddick set to skip Beijing Olympics for US event

51 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (AFP) — US star Andy Roddick will skip the Beijing Olympics in August to defend his crown at the ATP Washington Classic two weeks before the US Open.

Roddick will bring star power to the only event on the men's tennis tour that conflicts with the high-profile showdown for Olympic gold in China.

Roddick has decided to remain in the United States to better preapre for the US Open, the year's final Grand Slam tournament that starts in New York on August 25, the day after the Olympics conclude in Beijing.

"My goal every summer is to win the US Open," said Roddick. "I have won the Legg Mason Tennis Classic three times and feel defending my title in Washington best prepares me for another Grand Slam title."

Sixth-ranked Roddick captured the ATP title in Dubai last weekend with victories over Australian Open champion Novak Djokovic and reigning French Open champion Rafael Nadal in the run.

Roddick defeated big-serving US wild card John Isner in last year's Washington final.

The Olympic tournament and Washington's event are both set to be played on the week starting Monday, August 11.

With Roddick's absence, ninth-ranked James Blake is the top-rated American in line to play for Beijing Olympic singles gold.

Tytta!.
03-12-2008, 12:08 AM
:retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard:

partygirl
03-12-2008, 12:09 AM
well damn.

I wonder what the field will be like at Legg Mason this year?:angel:

NicoFan
03-12-2008, 12:13 AM
The Man himself has spoken.

Hopefully his strategy works.

And to be honest, I think we're going to see a few of the top guys drop out of the Olympics due to the conditions there.

blosson
03-12-2008, 12:15 AM
The news was a bit unexpected. I guess he's trying to put his priorities right this time and he's dedicating more time to personal goals.

Deboogle!.
03-12-2008, 12:23 AM
The news was a bit unexpected. I guess he's trying to put his priorities right this time and he's dedicating more time to personal goals.I guess that's what some of us are having a difficult time with - we thought the Olympics was near the top of his personal goals.....

Fee
03-12-2008, 12:33 AM
I think the Olympics are important to him, but THIS Olympics under this particular combination of circumstances is not working for him for whatever reasons.

I'm in the minority, I know, but I have absolutely no problem with this decision. None.

Deboogle!.
03-12-2008, 12:44 AM
It's not that I have a problem with it; I'd be pretty damn hypocritical if I criticize his scheduling decisions this spring and then complain that he's not making an extra trip to CHINA and back before the USO :lol: I just hope it's not something he regrets. It's just odd and it just seems out of character for him, which is just why it strikes me as so bizarre.

Fee
03-12-2008, 12:57 AM
Yeah, it does go against what he's done in the past, that's true. I think there is more to this than the article (taken from a press release I suppose) says. Perhaps he'll talk about it in IW later this week.

snaillyyy
03-12-2008, 01:56 AM
I am sure, why he changed his mind, is going to be the question that is asked at IW.

Deboogle!.
03-12-2008, 01:58 AM
I am sure, why he changed his mind, is going to be the question that is asked at IW.That could be arranged ;) :angel:

snaillyyy
03-12-2008, 02:05 AM
;) I am sure.

Deboogle!.
03-12-2008, 02:11 AM
Yeah, it does go against what he's done in the past, that's true. I think there is more to this than the article (taken from a press release I suppose) says. Perhaps he'll talk about it in IW later this week.Yeah, according to Reuters, it was a statement released by the tourney.

;) I am sure.;)

kaylee
03-12-2008, 03:58 PM
Heehee we will rely on Deb to get a possible scoop!

Raina
03-12-2008, 04:41 PM
OK Andy helps me to make the decision not going to Beijing! :rolleyes:

kaylee
03-12-2008, 05:45 PM
oh wow even though I am an Andy fan if I had a chance to go to Beijing I would love to go.

GollyLou
03-12-2008, 08:43 PM
From an athlete's point of view, I can totally understand why Andy doesn't want to go to Beijing. Bear in mind I went in October (much cooler and better air quality) and over 7 years ago, and I still remember the pollution and the haze over the city.

However... I fully expected Andy to play despite all of that. I'm a little torn, I love seeing him play for his country but if it's true, I'm glad he's not going because it makes his schedule a lot better. :lol:

oh wow even though I am an Andy fan if I had a chance to go to Beijing I would love to go.

I did really enjoy it, but it's so different! It feels VERY foreign. I know it is, but it's not like Italy or Austria or Russia where you can get by with pointing and a bit of English. It's very weird at times. Lots of pretty things though. :)

Kate87
03-12-2008, 09:03 PM
He knows:shrug:

Jimnik
03-14-2008, 12:37 AM
Wow, I only just noticed that Andy didn't enter Houston this year. For a few minutes I was really getting my hopes up. Of course that was before I read this:

or not.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/other/5593400.html
I guess he could still change his mind (there's always hope :rolleyes: ).

He said he needed "a two-week breather" which technically means that he'll be back in action the week after Monte-Carlo. So maybe he could play here in Munich at the BMW Open. That would really make my day, forget Monte-Carlo. :p

tangerine_dream
03-17-2008, 05:03 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=3297726
Roddick hoping decision to skip Beijing Olympics pays dividends
By Greg Garber
March 17, 2008

INDIAN WELLS, Calif. -- It has been an Olympic lovefest here at the Pacific Life Open.

Day after day, the greatest tennis players in the world -- from Roger Federer to Maria Sharapova to James Blake -- have talked in a tone approaching awe about the pomp and circumstance that awaits them this summer half a world away in Beijing, China.

Andy Roddick, historically an upstanding, patriotic guy, is the lone wolf. He says he would prefer to brave the stifling mid-August heat and humidity in Washington, D.C.

"When kind of working out my schedule," Roddick explained on Friday, "it's kind of down to the decision, do you go there and deal with everything that goes along with it? It's pretty hectic. Or, is winning the U.S. Open, or trying to put together a run there, the priority?

"This time, I decided that that was the priority."

Roddick, of course, wants to win the second Grand Slam of his career and, with all of the activity focused on China -- the 64-player draw plays out the same week as Washington's Legg Mason Tennis Classic, ending Aug. 17, a week before the U.S. Open begins -- circumstances would seem to be working in his favor.

"Switching time zones for two weeks, and then come back and have four days, and then you're starting the U.S. Open?" Roddick said. "I don't know if that was the best preparation."

Todd Martin, who currently plays on the senior Outback Champions Series, said it was a rational decision.

"It's a good strategic move," he said Friday from an event in Naples, Fla. "Ninety percent of his most dangerous competitors are going to be more at risk after all that traveling."

In November, Roddick anchored the United States' first Davis Cup championship in a dozen years. He won the 2003 U.S. Open, and despite three appearances in Grand Slam finals since, he has been unable to break through.

Marion Bartoli of France is the only other top-10 player who has officially ruled out the Olympics, although No. 1 Justin Henin has made some pre-emptive comments about the pollution in Beijing.

Tennis, of course, is different from most other sports at the Olympics. While they all have their own world championships, the Olympics -- because of the intense feelings of nationalism the Games inspire -- remain the culmination of an athlete's life, whether he or she is a gymnast, a marathoner or an ice skater. Because tennis came to the Olympics so late (1988, in Seoul, South Korea), the Grand Slams remain more important in a career sense.

For most tennis players, however, the opportunity to experience the Olympics is one they don't feel they can pass up. On Friday, Novak Djokovic said the Olympics was his top priority.

"One of the tops, for sure," he said. "I mean, come on, Olympics. You get to play Grand Slams every year. Olympics you get to play one time in four years -- and who knows what will happen in four years for us?

"So I will not risk that, and I'll be very honored and privileged to participate in such an event, an event with the most tradition in sport."

Sharapova, fresh from her Fed Cup experience in Israel, fondly remembers the wild and crazy Ramat Hasharon crowds and looks forward to a global celebration in China.

"I just picture all these athletes running around, and all these venues," she said. "I can't even picture the opening ceremonies. I mean, getting all those athletes in one big place -- it's all very surreal.

"It's something that I've been looking forward to for a very long time. Ever since I was young and saw the parades on TV [as a 9-year-old in Florida], I was waiting until, like, two or three in the morning until Russia came up because it was always later in the alphabet, and that was the only time I could stay up late. Remembering that, and to actually believe that I'm going to be one of those athletes in a few months is incredible."

Blake, too, said he is excited.

"I wanted to play in 2004, but I got injured," he said. "It will be an absolute thrill to represent my country. I've done it many times in Davis Cup and it gives me goose bumps every time I do that. I know it doesn't carry the same weight in tennis that it does in other sports. But part of the joy is going over there and seeing other sports where this is bigger than the Super Bowl."

Blake, who reached the quarterfinals at the U.S. Open in 2005 and 2006, said he understands Roddick's rationale. But he added that even if playing in China compromised his chances in New York on some level, "I wouldn't mind because this is probably a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for me."

Roddick has already had that opportunity. In 2004, he lost in the third round in Athens, Greece.

"Some guys really don't care that much," he said at the time. "I cared a lot. It's not the biggest thing in our sport, but it's the biggest thing in sports."

Federer will be playing in his third Olympic Games in Beijing.

"I had two great experiences, but I completely understand Andy's choice, I think, and everybody should," Federer said. "I'm a bit surprised in a way. I still think he would have a great chance to get a medal or win, even. But it's his choice. The U.S. Open, for him, seems to be the biggest thing for him to focus on.

"But maybe in 50 years' time, top guys playing there, it [will] also become one of the big tournaments to win. For me, it is already, but maybe some players and some fans need more convincing that the Olympics is big for tennis."

Martin, who won exactly two games in his only match at the Sydney Olympic Games in 2000, still calls the experience one of the best of his life. He said the fit, from the beginning, has been an awkward one.

"Frankly, the Olympics and tennis just haven't figured it out yet," Martin said. "In my opinion, it should be a team event, with guys truly competing for their country. Give a point for every win and crown a champion. Until they do that, you're going to have guys who will shoot for the biggest prize in our sport -- not the gold medal."

Tytta!.
03-17-2008, 05:08 PM
:unsure:

Arodfan15
03-17-2008, 05:26 PM
It seems really strange that Andy's not playing in the Olympics, especially after reading everone else's comments about how excited they are. Especially after he seemed so excited to play in Greece. I just don't understand?

Tytta!.
03-17-2008, 05:30 PM
He wants to win the US Open again apparently.

Kate87
03-17-2008, 06:06 PM
agree Re. :)

I can understand his decision. For Maria or for Roger an Olympic gold would mean that their careers are (almost) compelete. In Andys case people would say it's like a MM tourney(I can almost hear the excuse:even Massu could win it).
The US Open is - as he said - his best chance(along with Wimbledon) to silence his doubters, win that second GS and throw away the one-slam-wonder tag.

Tytta!.
03-17-2008, 06:10 PM
Definitely.

kaylee
03-17-2008, 06:30 PM
well said Kate

Arodfan15
03-17-2008, 06:38 PM
I mean, I can understand Andy's reasoning. Obviously, it is what he feels is best for his health/preparation/career. It just seems so odd to me that all of a sudden with an event that only comes every four years that he has stated means so much to him, he's not even going to try and win it.

Tytta!.
03-17-2008, 06:41 PM
Because he wants to try and win the US Open? :p

:lol: Seriously, it's tough but as long as he does well in the US Open I really don't care. :p

Kate87
03-17-2008, 06:42 PM
Hopefully he will still have the opportunity in London. And hopefully he will have more than the 03US Open by then.:p
:lol: Seriously, it's tough but as long as he does well in the US Open I really don't care. :p
same here.:D

Tytta!.
03-17-2008, 06:44 PM
;)

Arodfan15
03-17-2008, 06:50 PM
Well if he wins the uso then I agree, it really doesn't matter, but it seems like a big if...

tangerine_dream
03-17-2008, 06:54 PM
You guys missed the part I bolded:

"It's a good strategic move," Todd Martin said Friday from an event in Naples, Fla. "Ninety percent of his most dangerous competitors are going to be more at risk after all that traveling."

The 2004 Athens medalists didn't do well at the USO that year at all. Andy has already experienced the Olympics. Perhaps the strategy Martin mentioned is one Andy wants to use to his full advantage. Roger really wans to medal. If he does, that just might open the door for Andy to win USO. That, and maybe he's also concerned about food/pollution/Dafur/whothehellknows. There are probably many factors that went into his decision.

If he does great at USO then his decision will have been a sound one.

Kate87
03-17-2008, 06:58 PM
I agree;)

Tytta!.
03-17-2008, 07:02 PM
:)

kaylee
03-17-2008, 07:51 PM
I think Tangy raises a valid point - Andy didn't do too well in Athens and Todd also has a good point - Andy sometimes (well most of the time) acts dumb but sometimes there is a method to his madness (now go and watch him to lose to some unknown ranked outside the top 50).

blosson
03-17-2008, 07:57 PM
I wonder who will be the other US player to represent the Olympics along Blake. Isner? Fish, Vinny, Ginepri...?

Tytta!.
03-17-2008, 08:07 PM
Bobby :D :D :D :D :D

blosson
03-17-2008, 08:20 PM
Bobby?

Kate87
03-17-2008, 08:23 PM
Bobby Ginepri:p

Tytta!.
03-17-2008, 08:35 PM
:angel:

kaylee
03-17-2008, 09:01 PM
Re thinks Robbie is hot! Re I will try and get topless pictures in Toronto for you if he comes.

Tytta!.
03-17-2008, 09:11 PM
Oohhhhhhh, awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

snaillyyy
03-17-2008, 10:06 PM
Maybe this time Andy knows what he is doing;)
Re, you mean to tell me, you don't have that picture I send you as your desktop, on your phone, even printed and taped to the ceiling of your bedroom:eek::devil:;)

blosson
03-17-2008, 10:36 PM
Bobby Ginepri:p

I see, Robobby.

Tytta!.
03-17-2008, 10:39 PM
Maybe this time Andy knows what he is doing;)
Re, you mean to tell me, you don't have that picture I send you as your desktop, on your phone, even printed and taped to the ceiling of your bedroom:eek::devil:;)

Of course I do. I want more, though.

I see, Robobby.

That's mean to my Bobby.

snaillyyy
03-18-2008, 12:24 AM
Of course I do. I want more, though.

You can't have to much Bobby huh;)

Tytta!.
03-18-2008, 01:05 AM
;)

kaylee
03-18-2008, 01:13 AM
Re and Bobbeee - it rhymes ta da!

Tytta!.
03-18-2008, 01:16 AM
HAHAHAHAHA :haha:

tangerine_dream
03-18-2008, 01:18 AM
Andy at his most arrogant, cocky, jerkiest worst. :fiery:

Roddick still believes time is on his side. (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/tennis/article3570910.ece)

On winning another slam:

"There is something left in me. If I didn't believe that I wouldn't play. I'm not going to play for a pay cheque. It will take time, there will be bumps in the road. I'm still out there trying, but if it doesn't happen for me I'm not going to feel sorry for myself. That's never going to happen. I still have a pretty charmed existence."

Disgraceful.

partygirl
03-18-2008, 01:30 AM
Its. Going. To. Happen.
Watch it will probably be by default, Federer will break his foot or something in over dramatic fashion and jerkus will carry him all the way home.

Arodfan15
03-18-2008, 01:51 AM
Its. Going. To. Happen.
Watch it will probably be by default, Federer will break his foot or something in over dramatic fashion and jerkus will carry him all the way home.

That's the funniest post i've read in a while.:worship:

I think it would be equally dramatic if he beat Federer in a tiebreaker in a fifth set or something equally insane.

partygirl
03-18-2008, 01:57 AM
:kiss:

As long as it happens...
Andy needs bookends.;)

tangerine_dream
03-18-2008, 07:26 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=3298638
Patrick McEnroe steps down as U.S. Olympic tennis coach

Patrick McEnroe told the U.S. Tennis Association he did not want to return as Olympic tennis coach, a job he held at the 2004 Athens Games. Instead, Rodney Harmon will lead the American men in Beijing, pending U.S. Olympic Committee approval.

"I just felt like, I've been there, I was lucky enough to have the experience," McEnroe said Monday in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. "I've been the captain for eight years. It seemed like a good opportunity for someone else to have that experience."

News of McEnroe's choice to bypass Beijing comes shortly after word emerged that Roddick will skip the Olympics to focus on preparing for the U.S. Open, the site of his only Grand Slam title.

"We really came to it separately," McEnroe said. "It wasn't something where we made the decision together in any way."

The No. 6-ranked Roddick announced last week he would defend his title at the Legg Mason Tennis Classic in Washington, a hard-court tournament that runs Aug. 11-17, the same dates as the Olympic tennis competition. The U.S. Open begins Aug. 25.

"Andy has to do what he feels is in his best interest," Harmon said in a telephone interview.

McEnroe and Roddick helped the United States win the 2007 Davis Cup, beating Russia in the final. When the team defeated Austria in February in the first round of the 2008 event, McEnroe told his players that he wouldn't be going to Beijing.

"If all the guys came to me and said, 'Hey, Patrick, we really need you to come,' I would have considered that," McEnroe said. "They know how much I support them, and if there's anything I can do to help them prepare, I'll do it. I'm in touch with them pretty regularly."

But he said a busy summer and fall travel schedule, including television work at Grand Slam tournaments and his Davis Cup duties, contributed to his opting out of the trip to China.

"It's obviously a long way to go," McEnroe said. "I can't lie. If it were in New York City, I might reconsider."

Davis Cup regulars James Blake and twins Bob and Mike Bryan figure to be top choices for Harmon's Olympic roster. The U.S. tennis teams for Beijing will be based on the rankings of June 9, the day after the French Open ends.

In 2004, the American contingent came away with one medal, Mardy Fish's silver in men's singles.

"I feel like Rodney's fully prepared," McEnroe said, "and I feel like as a country we have a good chance to bring medals home, on both the men's and women's side."

--------------------

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/othersports/355221_ravi17.html
CONNORS SPEAKS
Jimmy Connors is vowing to stay involved in tennis.

Pretty much out of the game until he returned to coach Roddick, Connors said he'd like to help uncover the next big American star and generally help the sport grow in the U.S. Take note, the U.S.T.A.

"Trying to develop the next American champion is a challenge I would gladly accept," said Jimbo, who parted company with Roddick last week.

As for his relationship with Roddick, Connors indicated the two left on good terms -- it was traveling around the globe that got to him, as Roddick indeed hinted.

Roddick ended his slump in the early stages of their partnership and acknowledged his backhand and competitive spirit are much improved.

"Andy and I developed a great relationship, and my admiration for him is unwavering," the eight-tine Grand Slam champ said. "I instilled in him some of my love and passion for the game and have given him all the necessary ingredients to challenge the best. It is up to him to trust it and incorporate it into his game."

--------------------

Jimmy :worship:

Its. Going. To. Happen.
:worship: :worship: :worship:

kaylee
03-18-2008, 07:37 PM
awwww Jimbo sigh memories of Wimbledon immediately come to mind (I even have a picture see how old I am heehee).

Kate87
03-19-2008, 08:23 PM
Meet Roddick In NYC
By Tennis Week
Tuesday, March 18, 2008

New Yorkers can start next week celebrating an anniversary with Andy Roddick and contributing to his cause in the process.

The former U.S. Open champion will celebrate Lacoste's 75th anniversary with an in-store appearance at Bloomingdale's on 59th Street in Manhattan on Monday night. Roddick will appear in the men's store on the first floor of Bloomingdale's from 6-8 p.m. on Monday, March 24.

Ten percent of the day's Lacoste sales will be donated to the Andy Roddick Foundation, benefitting abused, at-risk and terminally ill children.

Roddick received the Arthur Ashe Humanitarian award in 2005 for his charitable efforts and contributions including the Andy Roddick Foundation. For more information on his foundation, please visit www.andyroddick.com.

http://www.tennisweek.com/news/fullstory.sps?inewsid=542222

Deboogle!.
03-19-2008, 08:25 PM
:o

Tytta!.
03-19-2008, 08:49 PM
:help:

Fee
03-19-2008, 08:51 PM
Hmmmm....

http://blog.douglasrobson.com/2008/03/18/roddick-to-be-published.aspx

Roddick and Connors: Two Inflexible Forces

Posted by Douglas Robson at 3/18/2008 5:26 PM and is filed under Tennis

Today’s post is a few items I’ve picked up from around the Tennis Garden, leading off with some good scoop on America’s top male pro, Andy Roddick.

I ran into one of Roddick’s handlers today and he relayed some interesting info, including more insight into his split with Connors, as well some new digs for the Austin basher. According to my source, the last straw for Roddick-Connors came a week or so before he arrived in Dubai, where he beat No. 2 Rafael Nadal and No. 2 Novak Djokovic for his biggest title since the summer of ’06.

In a nutshell, Roddick wanted to stop in New York City on his way back so he could spend time with his squeeze, the blonde S.I. swimsuit model Brooklyn Decker. He asked Jimbo to come to the Big Apple to train. Connors told Andy he preferred him to come to his home in Montecito. It was a good old-fashioned standoff. Neither would budge. Not hard to imagine, is it: Two bull-headed champs standing their ground. Vexed that Connors wouldn’t be more “flexible” considering the princely sum he was paying the eight-time champ from East St. Louis, Ill., the two had a longer conversation about their working relationship, travel, commitment. One thing led to another and…Kaput.

The split didn’t involve breach any contract since Connors was being paid on a weekly basis. The split follows a pattern in recent years with Roddick, whose earnest but edgy personality can wear thin over time. His hyper mind also gives him a wandering eye for coaches. And the reality is that Roddick’s brother, John, has been his real coach for the past 1-2 years, even with Connors on board.

“Like with Brad (Giblert) Andy got inspired for a few months” and then the relationship just wore down, said the source. Unlike the breakup with Gilbert, there are few hard feelings. Connors’ family (but not Jimmy) was here this week attending matches.

In other Roddick news, the Nebraska-born Texan has invested in some East Coast real estate. Roddick, who owns a million-dollar-plus spread in Austin, recently plunked down some of his hard earned dough (and apparently ballooning bank account – he’s a bit of a miser) for an apartment in New York City’s Bryant Park neighborhood. Why not? That way he can keep better tabs on his model girlfriend.

From the same link, not about Andy but I know others here have wondered about this...

I’ve been trying to interview Israelis Jonathan Erlich and Andy Ram the last couple of few weeks since they decided not to play in Dubai. In Australia, where they won their country’s first Grand Slam title, they sounded quite certain they were going to follow Shahar Peer’s historic appearance in Doha and become the first tennis players from Israel to compete in Persian Gulf. What happened?

I caught up with them in the players lounge but I didn’t get an answer. In fact, what they told me – or didn’t tell me – only deepened my interest. “At the moment we prefer not to talk about Dubai,” said Ram following their 6-2, 6-1 defeat of Paul-Henri Mathieu and Radek Stepanek. “We can say that we want to play there in the future, like we did this year. That’s all we can say.”

“It’s a very delicate issue,” added Erlich.

They said they had discussed Peer’s experience in Qatar, which was positive. “She told us she had a great time,” said Ram. “They treated her like a queen.” I pressed on, but neither would budge. Was it a security issue? A visa issue? Did the Israeli authorities or the ATP dissuade them from attending? Erlich said their mandatory military service taught them to keep information to themselves. “Too many years in the army, so we learned to keep our information,” he said. “We need to keep it vague right now. Next year we will definitely try to go there.”

Another top doubles player told me he didn’t know the reason they backed off but said he had heard the ATP asked them not to go when the looked into it previously. They promised to have more answers in a few weeks or months. Stay tuned for more on this.

Deboogle!.
03-19-2008, 09:06 PM
Andy only has one "handler" that he's not related to. STFU, Ken.

kaylee
03-20-2008, 01:06 AM
He is too smarmy!

snaillyyy
03-20-2008, 01:27 AM
Slimey and creepy

kaylee
03-20-2008, 02:09 AM
As Jim Courier once said "Sex gets in the way of winning".

Tytta!.
03-20-2008, 02:29 AM
:confused: :sad:

kaylee
03-20-2008, 02:40 AM
Re what is wrong hun? :hug:

Tytta!.
03-20-2008, 02:44 AM
Nothing :confused: :sad:

kaylee
03-20-2008, 01:04 PM
oh OK.