Have a good flight home, Rafa! AO Thread. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Have a good flight home, Rafa! AO Thread.

Pages : [1] 2

l_mac
01-06-2008, 04:00 PM
Bored with Chennai talk now.

Metis
01-06-2008, 04:03 PM
The show must go on...

Vamos! :D

Johnny Groove
01-06-2008, 04:26 PM
I wonder if the Chennai girl will be in Melbourne

veyonce
01-06-2008, 05:02 PM
AFP
Nadal says he is fit, ready for Australian Open
2 hours ago

CHENNAI, India (AFP) — World number two Rafael Nadal said on Sunday he is fit and ready for the Australian Open despite suffering an embarrassing defeat in the ATP Chennai Open final here.

Nadal was demolished by fourth-seeded Mikhail Youzhny 6-0, 6-1 in a disappointing 58-minute final, raising fears the feisty Spaniard may not be fit for the first Grand Slam event, in Melbourne from January 14.

The 21-year-old called for a trainer midway through the second set, but afterwards insisted he was not injured.

"I am fine, there is nothing wrong with me," Nadal told AFP. "I called the trainer because I was feeling a bit tired."

"I look forward to going to Melbourne and training hard for the Australian Open. It is a tournament which interests me a lot."

Nadal reached the quarter-final at the Open last year, but did not progress beyond the fourth round in two earlier appearances in Melbourne.

Nadal looked exhausted after his marathon semi-final against compatriot Carlos Moya on Saturday which lasted three hours and 54 minutes as all three sets went into tie-breaks.

It was the longest three-set match since 1993 when Andrei Cherkasov beat Andrea Gaudenzi in the quarter-finals of the Tel Aviv Open over the same duration.

Nadal admitted returning to the court less than 24 hours after the gruelling encounter against Moya was tough.

"I was a bit tired, but Mikhail played unbelievable tennis and deserved to win. He was the better player today."

"But I am not very worried. I think I played quite well in this tournament and am happy to have reached the final in the first one of the season."

"The good thing is I leave this tournament without any injury. It has been a good start to the year for me. I have had good practice."

On Sunday, Nadal failed to hold any of his three service games in the first set, which Youzhny won in just 24 minutes.

Youzhny then broke his rival twice -- in the fourth and sixth games of the second set -- before wrapping up the match on his own serve.

It was Youzhny's fourth win in seven matches on hard courts against Nadal and earned him 68,800 dollars and 35 ATP race points in the season-opener in this southern Indian city.

Nadal won 37,350 dollars and 24 points.

The Russian, who lost in the second round in his only other Chennai appearance in 2001, won his fourth ATP title in a morale-boosting result.

"This victory is a present from Rafael," said Youzhny.

"He could not move today, he could not play. Maybe he was tired after last night's match against Moya."

"I did not think it would be so easy. I thought he would come back strongly in the second set but once I broke him in the fourth game, I knew I only had to ensure I did not make mistakes."

"I improved with every match in this tournament and I hope I continue the same way at the Australian Open," said the Russian, who has never progressed beyond the fourth round in Melbourne.

Nadal lost in the semi-finals here last year to eventual champion Xavier Malisse of Belgium. The defeat on Sunday was only his seventh in 30 ATP finals.

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5ho0-VzMgQwJqCIxplQx-FR9KwO7A

Sunset of Age
01-06-2008, 05:45 PM
^^ Both the gentlemen are class acts! :yeah:

Good to read Rafa is indeed okay.

lotusvale80
01-07-2008, 03:42 PM
does anyone know which station the chennai semi-final was aired on? we only have star sports, espn, and eurosports here and none of them had it. is it possible to get the downloadable version?
thanks

l_mac
01-07-2008, 03:58 PM
does anyone know which station the chennai semi-final was aired on? we only have star sports, espn, and eurosports here and none of them had it. is it possible to get the downloadable version?
thanks

Check the Chennai thread or the video downloads. :)

Xristos
01-08-2008, 06:05 AM
I wonder if the Chennai girl will be in Melbourne

Which girl?

NevaNadal
01-09-2008, 04:23 AM
I wanted to post something positive in this thread but I just saw some shots of Rafa at the AO and it appears he may be having problems with his shoulder :confused:

Oh God not again :sad:

But, just in case Vamos Rafa!!

l_mac
01-09-2008, 04:25 AM
I wanted to post something positive in this thread but I just saw some shots of Rafa at the AO and it appears he may be having problems with his shoulder :confused:

Oh God not again :sad:

But, just in case Vamos Rafa!!

Or he might have been stretching and squinting, or just pulling one of the many silly faces he always does. There were also plenty of pics of him practising. No point over reacting.

Metis
01-09-2008, 04:45 AM
Wow, the way things are developing there isn't going to be anyone left to play at the AO :lol:.

I hope Rafa is OK. Let's not speculate without any info.

tennizen
01-09-2008, 02:58 PM
I just hope Nadal will surprise us all like at Indian Wells. From the court reports, it seems like it is pretty slow and Gasquet was complaining about the heavy balls. Did he comment on the surface at all?

Foxy
01-09-2008, 03:07 PM
From all I read I understood the balls are getting quite fluffy and big. I remember Uncle Toni and Rafa insisting that the court speed is not an issue for Rafa but the balls. Everything depends on the balls. He likes them to be "alive" just like how a fluffy ball is.

l_mac
01-09-2008, 03:24 PM
Little interview with Toni before he left for Oz.

translated for vamosbrigade by nou.amic

JAUME PUJOL-GALCERAN · BARCELONA
http://www.elperiodico.com/default.asp?idpublicacio_PK=46&idioma=CAS&idnoticia_PK=472734&idseccio_PK=1011&h=

Possibility of Nadal becoming Nº 1 in Australia

By Jaume Pujol-Galcerán

For the very first time Rafael Nadal has in his sights the possibility of reaching number one at a tournament: the Australian Open which begins at Melbourne Park on Monday. But to achieve this he must be champion or runner-up and hope that Roger Federer does not get past the quarter-finals. There is now just a 650 point difference between him and the Swiss player in the ATP world ranking. Nadal has never been so close, although being number one is not something that worries him at the moment.

"Being number one does not worry me in the least, I just hope Roger will be fit enough to play a good tournament," Toni Nadal, the player's trainer, said yesterday in a telephone conversation with this newspaper before travelling to Melbourne to join his nephew. :hug:

"WORN OUT"

Despite Nadal's defeat in the Chennai final, his coach is optimistic about the way the world number two has started the season. "I think Rafael played well in India," said Toni Nadal, who played down the thrashing he suffered at the hands of Mikhail Youzhny, only managing to win one game in the 57 minute match. "We knew he was going to have a bad time. Rafael had already told me the day before that he was absolutely worn out. There wasn't a match at all in the final. I think he paid the consequences of the four hours he was on court against Moyà the previous day," explained the Mallorcan coach, who had not been able to watch his nephew on television as they did not have the digital channel where he was celebrating "Kings' Day" (Jan 6th Epiphany, when the Three Wise Men bring Spanish children their Xmas gifts) with his three small children.

Toni Nadal said Nadal had no physical problem. "The thing was not to force himself. The important thing is to be fit and well for Australia and I think Rafa will be. He is feeling good on court. :yeah: The final aside, I liked the way he was playing. Perhaps his groundstrokes were a few inches short, not quite deep enough, the day he played Moyà, but it was his first tournament and Rafael always finds that hard."

Nadal will begin practising in Melbourne tomorrow. He has five days to get the feel of the new surface that is to be used this year at the Australian Open.

tennizen
01-09-2008, 03:29 PM
From all I read I understood the balls are getting quite fluffy and big. I remember Uncle Toni and Rafa insisting that the court speed is not an issue for Rafa but the balls. Everything depends on the balls. He likes them to be "alive" just like how a fluffy ball is.

I think that's what I read too. So hopefully its good news for him. I would like to hear his opinion though.

Bug
01-09-2008, 11:33 PM
Vamos Rafa!!
^^

lotusvale80
01-10-2008, 03:10 PM
Check the Chennai thread or the video downloads. :)

i couldn't find it under video download thread, and it's not in this thread (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=114440) either. can you let me know exactly where it is? i'm looking for the moya-nadal match preferably a good download(not youtube).

anyone else has it?

thanks

l_mac
01-10-2008, 03:43 PM
i couldn't find it under video download thread, and it's not in this thread (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=114440) either. can you let me know exactly where it is? i'm looking for the moya-nadal match preferably a good download(not youtube).

anyone else has it?

thanks

Sorry, I misread your original post. I thought it was the final you were wanting.

I know the match is on www.tennistorrents.com - do you have a torrent client? If not a poster at vamosbrigade also uploaded on mega, viddler and rapidshare, but I think the end of the 3rd set is missing. I can give you a link to the vb.com post if you are a member there.

tennizen
01-11-2008, 12:41 AM
A very easy draw on paper till the quarters thankfully. However, I am curious to see which guy will spring a surprise and play the match of his life before that.

Xristos
01-11-2008, 02:26 AM
Very good draw..

lotusvale80
01-11-2008, 02:30 AM
Sorry, I misread your original post. I thought it was the final you were wanting.

I know the match is on www.tennistorrents.com - do you have a torrent client? If not a poster at vamosbrigade also uploaded on mega, viddler and rapidshare, but I think the end of the 3rd set is missing. I can give you a link to the vb.com post if you are a member there.

i do have bt and thanks for the link, i found the video there and i'm going to download it when i get home later tonight.
cheers;)

Sunset of Age
01-11-2008, 02:43 AM
A very easy draw on paper till the quarters thankfully. However, I am curious to see which guy will spring a surprise and play the match of his life before that.

Yes - Rafa should be able to reach the QF quite comfortably with that draw. But you never know of course. Thereafter it may well become a lot more difficult, I expect both Youzhny and Murray to come through as well... :unsure:

MariaV
01-11-2008, 07:51 AM
Not a bad draw, not a bad draw at all. :)
But well, surprises can always happen so...
Youzhny is not the most consistent player on Earth so he might lose early. :angel:

Foxy
01-11-2008, 08:52 AM
I wished Andy and there he is.
Guys, did you see the second quarter - the quarter of the death. Djoko, Lleyton, Nalby, Ferrer... lol.
This would be some AO. :)

l_mac
01-11-2008, 08:57 AM
There's a lot of dangerous players left in the qualie draw. I'm not counting any chickens :sad:

yana
01-11-2008, 10:23 AM
I like this draw...

l_mac
01-11-2008, 03:57 PM
Andy's fans are unflatteringly ecstatic that he's in Rafa's quarter :lol: :sad:

Xristos
01-11-2008, 04:07 PM
Great draw indeed.

Sunset of Age
01-11-2008, 04:18 PM

Now why would that be? ;)

tangerine_dream
01-11-2008, 04:20 PM
Rematch, of course. :D

l_mac
01-11-2008, 04:32 PM
Andy's fans are unflatteringly ecstatic that he's in Rafa's quarter :lol: :sad:Now why would that be? ;)
Rematch, of course. :D

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/9053/20080111165431avul9fc4.jpg

Hmm.

Sunset of Age
01-11-2008, 04:57 PM
http://www.menstennisforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=134540&stc=1&d=1200069155

Hmm.

I get the "Red Cross of Eval" in stead of your picture, Linda?

l_mac
01-11-2008, 05:11 PM
Now?

yana
01-11-2008, 05:38 PM
Rafa-Andy QF pleeeeeeaaaase :woohoo:

Yeah, with the same result like their past encounters, hi, hi :angel:

Metis
01-11-2008, 10:08 PM

The lesser of two evils... ;)

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/9053/20080111165431avul9fc4.jpg

Hmm.

Is that photo from the recent BBC interview? I saw that and thought that the interviewer was not in the least reluctant to touch on every subject with persistent questions, including the delaying tactics (he made Rafa promise to improve on that this year :lol: ), the 2006 doping allegations :zzz:, crying after the Wimbledon final (when Rafa said "I cried a little bit", he said "but in fact it was quite a lot, 20-25min; you were desperately unhappy" :lol: ) etc. He also asked him about Starace and Bracciali's suspension for betting. Rafa said Starace was a very nice guy and he thought that he would never go on court to lose his match. I didn't know Rafa and Starace were friends.

It's a pity though that his English isn't good enough to provide eloquent answers. Can't he make some time to improve it a bit? :smash: He's been at the top of the game for almost 3 years now. It used to be cute when he was younger but I think it would benefit him to do something about it. Maybe reduce a bit the Playstation sessions and do some studying instead? :p He probably doesn't get much encouragement from Uncle Toni who apparently doesn't speak a word himself if I'm not mistaken. :lol:

Castafiore
01-12-2008, 10:47 AM
I really think that he should consider doing these more extensive interviews in Spanish with subtitles. (no dubbing please, subtitles are much better)

MariaV
01-12-2008, 11:48 AM
Well, the BBC interview touched every tough subject but IMO Rafa did pretty well. :) He could've said more about betting perhaps but ah well.
And you know as he said he is improving his tennis so there's not much time to improve his English. There has to be time for Playstation too, no? :awww: :lol:
And not everyone is as talented in languages as some people here. Rafa's much more talented in tennis. ;)
Anyway, I think he handled it all pretty well. I LOVED the promise to speed up play. :lol:

Edit: And I learned that he'll meet Viktor Troicki in the 1st rd and he'll play on Monday night sesson as Fed the God asked for Tuesday of course. VAMOS! :banana: :bigclap: :bounce:
I hope my Estonian girl won't make it long before Rafa one way or the other. :o :tape: :lol:

OOP:
Rod Laver Arena
7:30 PM Start
1 Women's Singles - 1st Rnd.
Kaia Kanepi (EST) v. Alicia Molik (AUS)
followed by
2 Men's Singles - 1st Rnd.
Viktor Troicki (SRB) v. Rafael Nadal (ESP)[2]

Castafiore
01-12-2008, 02:38 PM
Oh, I think that he managed that interview quite well.
He's improving (granted, slowly) his English and I don't think we should expect a tennis player to spend his free time to study a language while quite a few tennis players whose native language happens to be English don't have to bother about that.

I would still love to see him do a more elaborate interview on an English language main network in Spanish with subtitles just to give a broader public a chance to look beyond the Spanglish because some of his Spanish interviews are great to read and a lot of people miss out due to hearing nothing else but his Spanglish.

NicoFan
01-12-2008, 10:01 PM
Good luck to Rafa!!!

I like the idea of his doing interviews in Spanish with subtitles, but I really get a kick out of his English. :lol: It's quite cute. :yeah:

tangerine_dream
01-12-2008, 11:44 PM
Hmm.
Hmm what? :scratch:

Yeah, with the same result like their past encounters, hi, hi :angel:
Ho ho, I hope not. Their IW match was :zzz: I'm expecting a more exciting encounter this time, if it should happen.

The lesser of two evils... ;)
Oh, is that what she was insinuating? I didn't get it. :lol:

Is that photo from the recent BBC interview? I saw that and thought that the interviewer was not in the least reluctant to touch on every subject with persistent questions, including the delaying tactics (he made Rafa promise to improve on that this year :lol: ), the 2006 doping allegations :zzz:, crying after the Wimbledon final
Sometimes I really don't like the British press, they're so rude with their line of questioning. :o

Anyway, good luck to Rafa at AO. I hope his knees are strong and healthy. :bounce:

l_mac
01-13-2008, 08:13 PM
Hmm what? :scratch:

I was just Hmming the "rematch" being the reason Andy fans are so delighted he's in Rafa's quarter. Just admit it - he's the easy option. :sad: Even easier than Davydenko.

Link to Rafa's AO blog http://www.elmundo.es/elmundodeporte/2008/01/12/nadalabiertoaustralia/1200158507.html

Pre tournament interview :hearts:
Rafael Nadal - January 12, 2008
Australian Open Pre Tournament Interview

Q. How you feeling physically ahead of the Australian Open?

RAFAEL NADAL: Perfect, no? Physical is no one problem, so I am very happy about that. :)

Q. Chennai seemed to be quite a demanding week for you with that long semifinal. Been no problems with that?

RAFAEL NADAL: No. Was only tired, no? Was terrible semifinal, no? Four hours match. Well, I only have less than 24 hours for recover. I go to sleep late because I finish the match late. Was tough to recover.

So Michael play good tennis and he beat me very easy.

Q. What do you think of the courts, the new courts?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't see too much difference. My opinion. I don't know.

Q. You have a chance to take the No. 1 ranking. Is that a focus for you?

RAFAEL NADAL: I think is not a real chance; not yet.

Q. Do you feel like you're better prepared for Melbourne than you have been ever before in terms of having played here now over the last few years, gained a bit more experience?

RAFAEL NADAL: 2005 I played very well, no? I have big chance for go to quarterfinals. I lost against Hewitt. Last year probably was worst year. I play bad tennis.

This year I am arriving well, practicing well, and I had some matches in Chennai. So I hope will be fine for Monday.

Q. Are you feeling confident?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yes, I am. I say, no? I practice very well, very good the week before. In Chennai, I play some tough matches. It's important to win like semifinals. Is always important match for confidence.

Well, is first important tournament of the season. Well, always is new. Is not always new, but seems like new every year, no? Well, gonna be interesting. I gonna try my best, no? I think I am prepared.

Q. What is your expectation for this tournament?

RAFAEL NADAL: Play good. That's my expectation. :lol:

Q. Do you think Roger's illness, the fact he hasn't played any competitive matches, will be a benefit for the rest of the men's competition here?

RAFAEL NADAL: I will tell you in two weeks. :lol:

Q. It certainly doesn't hurt the competition, though, does it?

RAFAEL NADAL: Depends, no? Because if Roger play one match, two matches, that's enough for him, no? Normally maybe he don't have a lot of problems in the first rounds, so he can get the rhythm in these first two rounds. And later, that's fine.

Q. Last year I remember you played a very exciting match against Andy Murray, a five set match. You perhaps have seen that he won in Doha. Do you think he may have the sort of year that Djokovic had last year?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, we will see, no? I think is not good speak about that for him. For him, too, no?

Well, he start the season very well. My opinion, if he last year don't have the injury, maybe he gonna be in Shanghai for last year. He wasn't in Shanghai. Disappointing for him, he has important injury in Hamburg.

I think he gonna have his chances for have unbelievable year, no? But is early to speak about that, no? I think he has everything for be 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 of the world.

Q. What did you do in December?

RAFAEL NADAL: Practice, a lot. Too much (laughter). :lol: :lol:

Q. Training, too? Hitting balls? Playing sets?

RAFAEL NADAL: 8:30 to 9:30 physical performance. 9:30 to 1 tennis. 3 to 5 tennis. 6 to 7:15 physical, and after I sleep. I always go to sleep at 1:00 in the morning, something like this. I don't know, this year in December, at 10:30 I was in the sofa watching the TV only five minutes, later sleeping every time, every day.

Q. Did you get any chance over Christmas to have a little bit of time off, to just relax as a normal person?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I spend the Christmas with the family, dinner. Well, after the family dinner, I go out a little bit with the friends. Well, a little bit more than a little bit (smiling). The next day is day off, holiday.

Q. As far as the draw goes, are you happy with it? It looks like you could play Moya?

RAFAEL NADAL: Who is playing against Carlos Moya?

Q. That could potentially happen in the quarterfinals.

RAFAEL NADAL: I would love to be in fourth round against Moya, no? I am focused about first round now.

Always is the same. You always ask me the same and I always answer the same. :haha:

Q. Is there any aspect of your game that you've worked on in December that you feel like you needed to improve to take that next step?

RAFAEL NADAL: I think in one month is impossible to improve a lot. That's my opinion. But in one month you can work for continuing improve during the competition, no? You have to improve, not new things, well, for example, if you are going to volley more than before, well, you can volley very good in the practice, but for improve you have to do in the match, no? That's an example. I don't gonna be serve and volley right now (smiling).

Q. Is there anything that you can do in the December month to prepare for the conditions here, for the heat?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, in Mallorca the weather is not the same for sure in December, no? Was tough year in December. Some days terrible cold. But I practice a lot, no? I practice hard. So week before I was in Chennai. It's hot. Similar like this. A little bit more humid. That's good preparation. And I arrive here Tuesday night, so I have some days for adapt.

Q. Do you like it to be hot? Do you prefer if they keep the roof open when it's hot?

RAFAEL NADAL: Today is perfect. Two days ago, too much. 42 degrees is too much. I practiced.

Q. Is 40 degrees in Mallorca completely different?

RAFAEL NADAL: Mallorca, it's not 40 degrees.

Q. Not 40 ever?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I was in the players, not lounge, but when we were having lunch outside, because inside was no table two days ago, I think. Yeah, two days ago. In Mallorca, that's never happening, something like this. If you have cover, not in the sun, always a little bit fresh air anyway if is the summer.

But here, it's terrible.

VAMOS!

Metis
01-13-2008, 08:31 PM
Thanks for posting the link to the blog and the interview

Q. Training, too? Hitting balls? Playing sets?

RAFAEL NADAL: 8:30 to 9:30 physical performance. 9:30 to 1 tennis. 3 to 5 tennis. 6 to 7:15 physical, and after I sleep. I always go to sleep at 1:00 in the morning, something like this. I don't know, this year in December, at 10:30 I was in the sofa watching the TV only five minutes, later sleeping every time, every day.

Rafa is getting old :lol:

MariaV
01-14-2008, 12:06 PM
WTF was that losing his serve when serving for the 1st set? :rolleyes: :( At least he got the TB. Better wrap it up fast now young man! VAMOS! :banana: :bigclap: :bounce:

MariaV
01-14-2008, 01:38 PM
Pheeeew!!!!! 7-6 (1) 7-5 6-1. *wiping sweat from my fohehead*
Gee! I hope it'll be easier vs Serra. :o
Btw the Russian commentators said there's rain and thunder in the forecast for Wednesday and more heat coming. :(

lotusvale80
01-14-2008, 01:48 PM
surprisingly the opponent was a big server(i can even say no worse than federer), but he lacks of experiences (not too strong mentally).

l_mac
01-14-2008, 03:21 PM
Fantastic win, Rafa. :rolleyes:

VAMOS!!

cc2monac
01-14-2008, 07:22 PM
rafa didn't play a clever tennis and was lucky the other one didn't know what to do with all the important balls but the most important is that rafa won! so CONGRATS!!! this serbian has a huge serve btw!
good luck for vs simon rafa! (don't forget your brain before you step on the court!)

01-15-2008, 04:09 AM
I just hope Rafa can manage to stay well this year. It worries me about his feet :scared: He needs those wheels to be in high gear. He moves so well when he is healthy, but you can quickly tell when he is unhealthy. Vamos Rafa :)

l_mac
01-15-2008, 06:18 AM
Rafa is 2nd on Rod Laver Arena tomorrow, after Henin.

yana
01-15-2008, 01:21 PM
Rafa is 2nd on Rod Laver Arena tomorrow, after Henin.

This means he'll play in the day sesion? Then I can see him in action at last.

Do you know the aprox. CET hour too?

MariaV
01-15-2008, 02:39 PM
Oana, JuJu starts 2 am if as I understood we're in the same time zone, so Rafa should start maybe around 3 am your time already. :lol: I am not utterly convinced those time sites are right though. :shrug:

Rod Laver Arena
11:00 AM Start
1 Women's Singles - 2nd Rnd.
Justine Henin (BEL)[1] v. Olga Poutchkova (RUS)
followed by
2 Men's Singles - 2nd Rnd.
Florent Serra (FRA) v. Rafael Nadal (ESP)[2]

MariaV
01-15-2008, 02:42 PM
This means he'll play in the day sesion? Then I can see him in action at last.

Do you know the aprox. CET hour too?

http://www.timeanddate.com/library/abbreviations/timezones/eu/eet.html
Well, this SHOULD be right, no? :lol: At least it says we're in the same time zone.

CET here if you want it. :p
http://www.timeanddate.com/library/abbreviations/timezones/eu/cet.html

yana
01-15-2008, 02:56 PM
Oana, JuJu starts 2 am if as I understood we're in the same time zone, so Rafa should start maybe around 3 am your time already. :lol: I am not utterly convinced those time sites are right though. :shrug:

Rod Laver Arena
11:00 AM Start
1 Women's Singles - 2nd Rnd.
Justine Henin (BEL)[1] v. Olga Poutchkova (RUS)
followed by
2 Men's Singles - 2nd Rnd.
Florent Serra (FRA) v. Rafael Nadal (ESP)[2]

Thank you, Maria. That means no sleep for me tonight :awww:

l_mac
01-15-2008, 10:01 PM
Serra won Adelaide in 2006 so clearly he likes playing down under, on hard. I make him the heavy favourite.

cmurray
01-15-2008, 10:15 PM
Serra won Adelaide in 2006 so clearly he likes playing down under, on hard. I make him the heavy favourite.

Me too. See you, Rafa. :sad:

l_mac
01-15-2008, 11:59 PM
Me too. See you, Rafa. :sad:

:sad:

l_mac
01-16-2008, 02:18 AM
I hate Eurosport
I hate Eurosport
I hate Eurosport
I hate Eurosport
I hate Eurosport
I hate Eurosport
I hate Eurosport
I hate Eurosport

I don't want Schnyder, I want Rafa :sobbing:

l_mac
01-16-2008, 02:23 AM
Just as well. They've switched back now.

Vamos.

4-0 1st set :)

l_mac
01-16-2008, 02:24 AM
5-0

Will he bagel him?

MariaV
01-16-2008, 02:29 AM
He just did. :lick:
I've eaten too much. ;) :lick:

l_mac
01-16-2008, 02:35 AM
Yes. Yes, he will bagel him.

And breaks the 1st game of the 2nd set.

cmurray
01-16-2008, 02:54 AM
So, what's the deal with this surface that has permitted so many bagels? I've never seen anything like it.

l_mac
01-16-2008, 03:02 AM
Broken!

What an embarrassment.

cmurray
01-16-2008, 03:04 AM
Broken!

What an embarrassment.

His first serve percentage has dipped. He'll need to watch that. Broke right back, Linda. All is well.

l_mac
01-16-2008, 03:12 AM
His first serve percentage has dipped. He'll need to watch that. Broke right back, Linda. All is well.

Well, I wasn't worried Serra was making a comeback but, really, rafa shouldn't be dropping any points at all to this guy.

cmurray
01-16-2008, 03:29 AM
Well, I wasn't worried Serra was making a comeback but, really, rafa shouldn't be dropping any points at all to this guy.

:lol: You don't have high expectations, do you? ;)

Johnny Groove
01-16-2008, 03:29 AM
Yeah, he started clowning around in that 2nd set, and thats the reason for the poor scoreline in the last 2 sets

l_mac
01-16-2008, 03:39 AM
Man, this is boring. This must be what it's like to be a Fed fan in the early rounds of a Slam. Except more pleasing on the eye.

01-16-2008, 03:53 AM
Congrats to Rafa on his win :) You are right about it being more pleasing to the eye :drool: I was worried about Rafa's feet and then every time I see him play he has that white tape (or whatever it is) under his knees. So I remember he has also had knee problems :sad: As young as he still is he has had more health problems than I would like :tears:

l_mac
01-16-2008, 03:57 AM
Congrats to Rafa on his win :) You are right about it being more pleasing to the eye :drool: I was worried about Rafa's feet and then every time I see him play he has that white tape (or whatever it is) under his knees. So I remember he has also had knee problems :sad: As young as he still is he has had more health problems than I would like :tears:

He doesn't have any health problems :shrug: The feet have been the same since 05 and the knees are taped as a precaution. His movement was very, very good today. :)

MariaV
01-16-2008, 04:17 AM
Yo peeps!
That was an embarrassement indeed to lose 2 service games like this. :( Now TMF is still better with only 3 games conceded when Rafa could've only concede 2.
And I didn't like his serve at all. Any more decent player would've punished it even harder. :( And he was still standing too far behind the baseline, in 'Melbourne'.
The only good thing is he got it done in just 1 h 34. :)
Now do you think PHM has chances in the 4th round with Rafa playing like this? :sad:

veyonce
01-16-2008, 08:09 AM
Rafael Nadal 16.01.08
Wednesday, 16 January, 2008

Q. Was it good to get a much easier match than your first round?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, different. I play, important thing I play much better. I play good, especially I started very good, the match, no? I played very high level in the first set, I think.

And, well, later I had some mistakes. But anyway, I'm happy about the match, happy about my improve after first round, and especially I improve a lot with my serve and with the forehand, too.

Q. Were you more aggressive? Were you a little bit more aggressive than the first round?

RAFAEL NADAL: Sure. Maybe the opponent was a little bit easier, so was a little bit more aggressive today. He tried to play aggressive all time, but he give me a little bit more rhythm than first round, no?

So I can come to the match, I can feel better the ball. And as I say before, I was practicing fine these last days, and today I start playing much better.

Q. Do you prefer the day matches to the evening matches?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, last year I have some night matches and it's tough, especially for the next day. Because if you play very long match in night session you can go to sleep 5:00, 6:00. Last year I was sleeping two times with the sun, so it's difficult later, no, be at 100 percent. For sure if it's possible I prefer play day session.

Q. What do you think of last night's incident with the pepper spray?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I really don't know nothing about that. Anyway, if something happened outside show outside diversion, it's very bad news for everything, no? I think this is only game and everybody have to know that, no?

We are good friends anyway. If I play against, I don't know, Ferrer, for example. It's only game. We can be rivals inside the court, but outside the court we are friends, no problem.

Q. How do you feel about this Slam down in Australia versus the others?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know, no? Every Grand Slam is special and every one is different, too, no? I don't know. I like this atmosphere here. The weather is fine. I like it. It's like a holiday atmosphere, no? It's different.

And, well, for me it's little bit too early in the calendar. Maybe for everybody it's better if we can start the season a little bit later. But it's fine to start the season hard like this.

Q. You think the Slam is too early in the calendar?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, I think.

Q. You've been No. 2 for a long time now. Is it becoming frustrating that there's always the one man ahead of you?

RAFAEL NADAL: Why frustrating, no? 5,700 points or 800 points. Nothing frustrating, no? I'm very happy for be No. 2, and I will be love to be No. 2 for next hundred years.

So it's a very good position, especially with my point position. Anyway, if I have 2,500 and I am No. 2, it's very good to be No. 2, no? But I have more than 5,000, so I'm very happy to be here. Very happy about my last three seasons, and I will try my best for being in the top position this season, too.

Q. Were you aware, depending on your results and Roger's results, you could actually take over the No. 1 ranking after this tournament?

RAFAEL NADAL: It's really ‑‑ I really don't see now. I never ‑‑ well, I'm not watching in this way, no? I am watching and trying to play in front of me. I know Roger have 15 Grand Slams without losing before semifinals, something like this. I never won a Grand Slam outside of clay. I'd love to win any one of them.

If it's this year, better. Too many coincidences for me. I only try to play my best tennis and worry about me, and, well, try to go as far as possible. Well, I am fine right now win this tournament and don't be No. 1, for sure. I really don't know about this No. 1.

Q. Did you see any of Roger last night?

RAFAEL NADAL: I saw last four games in the match.

Q. Did you get much of an impression on how he looked?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, the result says a lot (laughter.) But, well, I can't say too much, because in the last four games or three games when you are winning 6‑0, 6‑3, 6‑0, it's tough to say anything, no?

I saw him with confidence, touching very good the ball, and playing very well, no? Not much different than always (laughter.)

Q. You've been the subject of some doping rumors at some point. So you know how difficult it is to have that around you. What is your opinion of how long it's taking to finish the investigation in the gambling case at Sopot? Is it taking too long, do you think? Is it unfair to the players.

RAFAEL NADAL: Is another one or from past time?

Q. Before, in the past, yeah.

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, about the doping, a newspaper from France say something. I don't want to say nothing because I say it a lot of times. But from the rest of things, I think the ATP is behind that. I really don't know nothing about fixing matches, because I am on tour and I see every day and every week everybody fighting 100 percent.

The true is I don't remember no one match when I win without the other fight. That's my opinion. I think everything is finished right now, no? And, well, I don't know if they delayed a little bit the investigation from Sopot, but I am with Davydenko, if is the case. I believe in him, no?

Q. Do you think the investigation is taking too long, or it's fine?

RAFAEL NADAL: This kind of thing is not ‑‑ it's never easy, no? So it's just tough say something and take any position. We'll see what's going on in the next months. But, anyway, I'm sure about the ATP is everything is under control.

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/interviews/2008-01-16/200801161200466338473.html

cc2monac
01-16-2008, 10:19 AM
what a great match from rafa! so much better than thie other one! congrats rafa!!! good luck for next round!

MariaV
01-16-2008, 12:34 PM
No nonsense for Nadal
Wednesday, 16 January, 2008
By Adam Lucius

No. 2 seed Rafael Nadal has made short work of his second round encounter with Florent Serra, easing past the Frenchman 6-0 6-2 6-2 on Rod Laver Arena.

The Spaniard hardly worked up a sweat, dropping just four games and producing 39 winners to completely overwhelm Serra.

The match lasted just 94 minutes, Nadal claiming victory with his ninth ace.

Nadal started the match in imposing fashion, breaking Serra in the opening game and denying him any opportunity to find a way back.

The three-time French Open winner is now on course for a third round meeting with either Rainer Schuettler or Gilles Simon.

Nadal's best performance at an Australian Open is a quarter-final placing in 2007.

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/match_reports/2008-01-16/200801161200455840143.html

Simon next, he beat Schuettler 6-2 6-2 6-1.
VAMOS! :banana: :yippee: :bigclap:

l_mac
01-16-2008, 04:58 PM
I mentioned earlier that Rafa is blogging again for a Spanish newspaper. One of the girls at vamosbrigade is translating into English for them.

I'll post the links to her translations here, and if you're not a member of vb maybe I can PM you them.

Day one blog http://vamosbrigade.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=525245#525245 and Q&A http://vamosbrigade.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=525425#525425

Day 2 blog http://vamosbrigade.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=526023#526023 and Q&A http://vamosbrigade.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=526214#526214

NaDALiTa
01-17-2008, 01:44 AM
Next round against Simon should be more difficult ,the French plays quite well from the baseline and hits a lot of winners,he has a great FH and will fight to the end!!!If Rafa is fit then i guess it should be a one way match but with a French you never know!!

Vamos Rafa :)

MariaV
01-17-2008, 09:14 AM
Last match of the day session. YAY to the AO organizers for being nice to Rafa and not making him play night session. :D I hope the ladies before him will hurry up but with Schiavone you never know, might be a loooong match, unless JuJu is in a ninja mode as she has been lately.
And Jankovic, huh, she has a liking for long matches (just like Rafa), no? :lol:
Anyway, VAMOS!!!!!!! :banana: :bigclap: :yippee:

Rod Laver Arena 11.00 AM
1. Women's Singles - 3rd Rnd.
Justine Henin (BEL)[1] v. Francesca Schiavone (ITA)[25]
2. Women's Singles - 3rd Rnd.
Jelena Jankovic (SRB)[3] v. Virginie Razzano (FRA)[30]
3. Men's Singles - 3rd Rnd.
Gilles Simon (FRA)[28] v. Rafael Nadal (ESP)[2]

linus
01-17-2008, 11:23 AM
Vamos Rafa :cool:

NaDALiTa
01-17-2008, 01:47 PM
wooow this will be really late or early for me :lol: :lol: it's easier for me to follow him when he plays night sessions,but he doesn't like night sessions :shrug:

Foxy
01-17-2008, 03:50 PM
I watched Simon last year in Bucharest on clay where he won against the local hero Hanescu in the final. This Simon is very talented player. He has a very solid flat two-handed backhand... His defence is also at a high level.

I even got an autograph from him...

NaDALiTa
01-17-2008, 07:32 PM
I saw him kicking Baghdatis' ass last year in the Open 13 final ...i didn't believe my eyes!

l_mac
01-18-2008, 02:28 AM
It's a tough match for sure. From his comments in the press it seems Simon really thinks he can take Rafa out.

Round 3 was a good result. :sad: :sad:

cmurray
01-18-2008, 02:31 AM
It's been a nice 2 rounds. Bye Raf. :sad:

tennizen
01-18-2008, 03:13 AM
I saw Simon play Baggy and Robredo also at the USO I think. He beat Baggy and gave Robredo quite a bit of trouble. So it won't be an easy match for sure. But I have penned Koubek as the guy who takes out Rafa so I am hoping Rafa survives this round

tennizen
01-18-2008, 03:36 AM
I am all up for equality for women in all other areas except tennis:lol: Really they are so predictable with their breakdowns!!

Sunset of Age
01-18-2008, 04:18 AM
I am all up for equality for women in all other areas except tennis:lol: Really they are so predictable with their breakdowns!!

Hi Hema! :wavey:

You should join us in the 'chat thread for Rafatards' - nice ranting about neverending WTA-matches over there. :D

tennizen
01-18-2008, 04:28 AM
Hi Hema! :wavey:

You should join us in the 'chat thread for Rafatards' - nice ranting about neverending WTA-matches over there. :D

Hey Karin

Thanks for the invitation.:hug:. I read that thread once in a while but I never posted there because I figured I would be out of place with all of you knowing each other well:).Maybe I will venture there soon:)

NevaNadal
01-18-2008, 05:16 AM
It's a tough match for sure. From his comments in the press it seems Simon really thinks he can take Rafa out.

Round 3 was a good result. :sad: :sad:

Truer words may have never been spoken :eek:

Wow....looks like Rafa pulled it out.

Think we should all keep our fingers and toes crossed for the next round which looks like it could be a 4 or 5 setter.

VAMOS RAFA!!

01-18-2008, 07:32 AM
Wow Rafa had me scared in that 1st Set :scared: He was down 2-5 and came back to win 7-5 :worship: After that it was over--Simon only won 5 games in the last two Sets :D Rafa wore him out in the 1st Set even when it seemed like Rafa was losing :lol: He does that to people a lot :cool: Vamos Rafa ;)

FedFan_2007
01-18-2008, 07:33 AM
I bet this match gave Rafa a nice wedgie! :banana:

MariaV
01-18-2008, 07:53 AM
OK FedFan, you've taken it too far this time. Bye bye. :wavey:

Hehee, that was a fun first set, wasn't it? :D 6 SPs saved! :worship: :bowdown:
Booh, Koubek and PHM are tiring each other out in the 5th. :lol: Good for baby Rafa. QF vs Roddick here we come! :banana: :yippee: :bigclap:

Mimi
01-18-2008, 08:01 AM
what, have to face the powerful roddick in quarter final already, and not semin final :mad::mad:
OK FedFan, you've taken it too far this time. Bye bye. :wavey:

Hehee, that was a fun first set, wasn't it? :D 6 SPs saved! :worship: :bowdown:
Booh, Koubek and PHM are tiring each other out in the 5th. :lol: Good for baby Rafa. QF vs Roddick here we come! :banana: :yippee: :bigclap:

MariaV
01-18-2008, 08:38 AM
^^^ Yes Mimi, probably a quarterfinal vs Roddick. I don't see Andy losing earlier. And hopefully Rafa will beat PHM. :tape:
I am an open PHM fan though and I'm glad he pulled that marathon vs Koubek but Rafa should be too much for him. Especially a Rafa who hasn't dropped a set yet! :banana:

And semis probably Gasquet or Youzhny from the top quarter. :scared:

Castafiore
01-18-2008, 09:51 AM
Presser:

Rafael Nadal 18.01.08
Friday, 18 January, 2008

Q. Can you remember the last time you had to save six set points in the first set of a match?

RAFAEL NADAL: No. Match points, yes. Two weeks ago. You said points, too. Against Moya, maybe four. Similar.

Q. Did you just feel that you started very slowly today?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah. I know normally I start very hard. And today, well, I really don't know. I start the match without very good tactic, I think, no?

I don't know exactly in English, but I start the match watching the rival, not worried about me, trying to do my game, trying to play aggressive with my forehand. So that's what I have to do, no, not watch in the other side what's going on, no?

I thought he start ‑‑ he will start a little bit more slowly. Well, with the ball not very high to his forehand, he will miss a little bit. But really he don't miss. He play forehand return winners, so...

Thank you David Ferrer, because he give me this tactic. He say me that before the match (laughter).
:lol:

Q. Is the overriding emotion more relief to get through? Are you happy to have got through, given the start?

RAFAEL NADAL: Sure, is important win for me, no? Is important. In every tournament, you have to overcome difficult moments. I have one in the first day. Today another time. Is important, no, because you feel the pressure.

Is important play in difficult moments and is important have alternatives when the things are not doing very well.

Q. What's going through your head when you're down 5‑2 in a set?

RAFAEL NADAL: Nothing, no? I just try to play my game, no? I know I was not doing the things how I would like to do because I didn't play aggressive, I didn't have the control of the point.

And I know in some moment of the match I have to change. I have to try to start play my forehand, try to have the control of the point with my forehand, move Gilles. When I had that, when you do these things, the match change a lot, no?

Q. What do you do on your day off? Reading your blog, you used to play PlayStation with Ferrer.

RAFAEL NADAL: No, disappointing here we are in different hotels, so is not possible, no? Yes, practice in the morning a little bit here, and in the afternoon rest. Less than yesterday because I rest too much yesterday in the afternoon.

I don't know what's happening here in Australia, but I really ‑‑ I really don't know, but in the afternoon if I am in the room, I sleep two hours. I never sleep nothing but here. I don't know.

Q. Australian siesta.

RAFAEL NADAL: Australian siesta (laughter). In Mallorca is typical. Here I never do.
http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/interviews/2008-01-18/200801181200644668926.html

yana
01-18-2008, 06:24 PM
Rafa :drive: Great recovery in that first set. :yeah:

:awww: :bigcry: :sobbing: :hysteric:

Andy :mad: :smash: :shout: :banghead: :retard: http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/spezial/Fool/vis.gif

:hug:

tangerine_dream
01-18-2008, 08:30 PM
Thanks, yana :hug: I should have known better than to get my hopes up and wish for something as unattainable as a quarterfinal showdown with Rafa. :sad: Now we'll get Rafa vs Not Andy. Boo.

cmurray
01-18-2008, 08:38 PM
Ferrer is giving Rafi bad advice. :mad: :lol:

Castafiore
01-18-2008, 09:51 PM
Tangy, :hug:

GM is probably a place to avoid for a while until the dust settles. I'm not exactly a huge Roddick fan but the GM enjoyment of bashing him and laughing at him when he loses is over-the-top, as usual.

l_mac
01-18-2008, 11:07 PM
Thanks, yana :hug: I should have known better than to get my hopes up and wish for something as unattainable as a quarterfinal showdown with Rafa. :sad: Now we'll get Rafa vs Not Andy. Boo.

Don't pencil Rafa in yet. He sucks :mad:

Ferrer is giving Rafi bad advice. :mad: :lol:

That was funny :lol:

Tangy, :hug:

GM is probably a place to avoid for a while until the dust settles. I'm not exactly a huge Roddick fan but the GM enjoyment of bashing him and laughing at him when he loses is over-the-top, as usual.

I know. 17 pages on the match thread in about 50 minutes. :rolleyes:

Maybe it'll be topped when Querrey beats Nole later :yippee: :bounce:

Mimi
01-19-2008, 04:28 AM
no, maria, now no roddick vs rafa, poor roddick :sobbing:
^^^ Yes Mimi, probably a quarterfinal vs Roddick. I don't see Andy losing earlier. And hopefully Rafa will beat PHM. :tape:
I am an open PHM fan though and I'm glad he pulled that marathon vs Koubek but Rafa should be too much for him. Especially a Rafa who hasn't dropped a set yet! :banana:

And semis probably Gasquet or Youzhny from the top quarter. :scared:

MariaV
01-19-2008, 05:56 AM
:awww: :bigcry: :sobbing: :hysteric:

Andy :mad: :smash: :shout: :banghead: :retard: http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/spezial/Fool/vis.gif

Tangy! :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

MariaV
01-19-2008, 09:33 AM
Rafa vs PHM the night match tomorrow, never in doubt. I hope he'll be fine with this. VAMOS!!!!!! :banana: :yippee: :bigclap: :bounce:

Rod Laver Arena 7.30 PM
1. Women's Singles - 4th Rnd.
Jelena Jankovic (SRB)[3] v. Casey Dellacqua (AUS)
2. Men's Singles - 4th Rnd.
Paul-Henri Mathieu (FRA)[23] v. Rafael Nadal (ESP)[2]

l_mac
01-19-2008, 11:17 AM
:haha: :haha: @ Roger been taken to 5 sets by the world #49. Can you imagine the reaction on GM if that had happened to Rafa? But somehow it means that Federer is even more Godlike? WTFever.

Anyway, I hope the roof is open tomorrow but I think more rain is forecast. I suppose Rafa was due another night match, and it won't make that much difference if the roof is closed. Hope he can win :scared:

yana
01-19-2008, 12:32 PM
Hope he can win :scared:

Let's all pray :sad:

l_mac
01-19-2008, 01:11 PM

http://www3.christianforums.com/images/smilies/pray.gifhttp://www3.christianforums.com/images/smilies/prayer.gifhttp://www3.christianforums.com/images/smilies/groupray.gif

NevaNadal
01-19-2008, 06:57 PM

Especially if Rafa's match doesn't start until after midnight :mad:

l_mac
01-20-2008, 05:11 AM
Wilander has been commentating for Eurosport today, and he likes PHM's chances for tonight. He hopes it will rain and the roof will be on, he thinks that will give PHM the advantage. He says Mathieu knows what to do to beat Rafa, he has been very close in the past. The other commentator asked him if he thought it would be a classic 5-setter like there has been the past couple of night and Wilander replied that he hoped PHM would win quicker than that.

Rafa :hug:

yana
01-20-2008, 08:39 AM
^^

Then we have no hope...

Fight Rafa

l_mac
01-20-2008, 11:39 AM
Lucky one, Rafito.

MariaV
01-20-2008, 11:43 AM
Awwwww at Paulo. :awww: :awww:
Mats must be very disappointed. Hmmm, did something happen to Paulo's calf, did he strain the calf muscle or smth? :awww:
Anyway, VAMOS Rafa! Onto the quarters vs Jarkko. :banana: :yippee: :bigclap:
Acc to you it should be tough, no? :sad: ;)

NevaNadal
01-20-2008, 12:05 PM
Not the best way to win a match....but I'll take it :D

Vamos Rafa and please serve like you did today for your next match ;)

Naide
01-20-2008, 02:45 PM
Lucky one, Rafito.

As always :rolleyes:

01-20-2008, 03:50 PM
Not the best way to win a match....but I'll take it :D

Vamos Rafa and please serve like you did today for your next match ;)
I think it is a great way to win a Match :) Rafa was winning anyway, so with the retirement he didn't have to work very hard. It will let him get more rest so he can be fresher during his next Match ;) Vamos Rafa :D

Johnny Groove
01-20-2008, 05:17 PM
Rafa
Pics
Ferrero
Djokovic

havent yet lost a set at the AO :D

tangerine_dream
01-20-2008, 05:54 PM
Rafa :bounce: He was serving like a madman, PHM had no chance anyway. Into the quarters again, well done to the so called dirtball specialist. :hatoff:

oooh Rafa vs Mr WTA serve, what a tantalizing quarterfinal matchup. :o :yawn: :zzz: *kicks Andy again* ;)

hra87
01-20-2008, 08:45 PM
Rafa's set for his first ever loss at a Grand Slam semifinal on hard!

Metis
01-20-2008, 10:10 PM
Well Rafa has defended his AO points so far. I hope he keeps serving well; it will be his key to success.

I don't know what people say about Nieminen, his 2nd serve or lack thereof, but personally I think he's scary:

http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/MEL16901200450.jpg

:lol: :p

tennizen
01-20-2008, 10:59 PM
^^ Ha ha he does look scary. Rafa defeated him fairly easily at Wimbledon and he hasn't met him since then. In my case, I am not really concerned with who plays him. I am more concerned with his round. It seems to me the most dangerous rounds for him on hard courts are 4th rounds and quarters. So somehow Niemenen will play the match of his life tomorrow:(. As for GM, it seems like as Nadal progresses further , the whining gets higher. God forbid he actually get to a final. However, since that is unlikely we can all be happy.

hra87
01-20-2008, 11:07 PM
^^ Ha ha he does look scary. Rafa defeated him fairly easily at Wimbledon and he hasn't met him since then. In my case, I am not really concerned with who plays him. I am more concerned with his round. It seems to me the most dangerous rounds for him on hard courts are 4th rounds and quarters. So somehow Niemenen will play the match of his life tomorrow:(. As for GM, it seems like as Nadal progresses further , the whining gets higher. God forbid he actually get to a final. However, since that is unlikely we can all be happy.

Youzhny was injured at Wimbledon, he certainly has the game to quite frankly kick Rafa's ass in the semis unless Rafa amps it up by then. The quarters and 4th rounds seem the most dangerous because that's when he always loses...if he gets to the semis or final, they'll certainly be more difficult.

I think it'd be interesting to look through that KaxMisha character's posting history to see what percentage of his posts include the word 'logic' or a derivative thereof.

tennizen
01-20-2008, 11:25 PM
Youzhny was injured at Wimbledon, he certainly has the game to quite frankly kick Rafa's ass in the semis unless Rafa amps it up by then. The quarters and 4th rounds seem the most dangerous because that's when he always loses...if he gets to the semis or final, they'll certainly be more difficult.

I think it'd be interesting to look through that KaxMisha character's posting history to see what percentage of his posts include the word 'logic' or a derivative thereof.

That's true. I am just superstitious when it comes to Rafa. Obviously Youzhny is the biggest threat for Nadal in this draw but a five set match allows Nadal to come back a little bit more. However he has to play better than USO 2006.

As for KaxMisha, well he is the" upholder of logic" in this irrational universe;). I once stated that I wouldn't mind Fed being no.1 if Rafa wins French and Wimbledon. He bad repped me saying "stop trolling, Nadal will never win Wimbledon". A little bit of a slip-up for his high standards I would say;)

hra87
01-21-2008, 12:45 AM
That's true. I am just superstitious when it comes to Rafa. Obviously Youzhny is the biggest threat for Nadal in this draw but a five set match allows Nadal to come back a little bit more. However he has to play better than USO 2006.

As for KaxMisha, well he is the" upholder of logic" in this irrational universe;). I once stated that I wouldn't mind Fed being no.1 if Rafa wins French and Wimbledon. He bad repped me saying "stop trolling, Nadal will never win Wimbledon". A little bit of a slip-up for his high standards I would say;)

I won't mind too much if Youzhny beat him though, I like Youzhny a lot. That reminds me, I need to re-work my sig. I had it organized in a specific way, but that way is no longer relevant (it's based on my favorites in arbitrary categories I created). Plus Gasquet has been putting me to sleep recently, and in his category he barely squeaked passed Murray. Maybe I should switch. I'll give it some thinking over.

I don't think Tsonga has a chance btw, unless Youzhny is injured again or something, so it should get interesting. Hopefully Nadal will amp it up and we'll get a nice 5-setter out of it.

And hopefully Hewitt beats Djokovic tonight.

I was just looking at the Federer-Tipsarevic thread. It's like every one of his posts leads to an argument. I got into one with him for no reason at all, but I posted in a style that I thought would particularly aggravate him and it was fairly fun. Next time I'll start an argument and be completely "illogical" and see how it works. People obsessed with "logic" are funny, because once they come up against someone who is illogical, their worldview gets shaken to the core and they get really upset and have to make the other person understand their logic. All very funny to watch.

the_natural
01-21-2008, 01:09 AM
I actually do worry about Tsonga, he could beat Youhzny i think, im just being superstitious because he could be the guy with the run to the final that weve had every year since 01 you know: Clement, Johansson, sch (cant remember the guy from 03, i think hes south african), safin 04 05, Marcos, Gonzo... Tsongo??? But then again It could easily be Youhzny who is definatley on a high after Crushing Karlovic, and then handily defeating Koyla, If he beats Tsonga in straight sets we can Kiss Rafas finals hopes goodbye.

Yah Know I really dont think Rafa has much of a chance of winning even if he were to beat Niem and make the finals, because even in his destruction of Serra, he was broken twice, who cares about the scoreline, HE WAS BROKEN TWICE, by a guy he was destroying. Im really impressed that rafa improved the smart way, instead of trying to be more of a hardcourter, he decided to improve his old game of hitting left to right, and trying to keep it deep then using the angles, thats the way for him to win, Hit the ball higher over the net to keep it as deep as possible with less effort, guys cant consistently attack you when you do that. They said he was the new agassi in 05 and even 06 wimbledon cos he was like a windscreen wiper moving the ball left to right. Only Problem is his return of serve is weak at best and His serve is VERY ATTACKABLE which is what im really disappointed in, you would think that they would worked tirelessly to make him get that kick serve out wide in the deuce court, and the slice out wide in the ad court as his bread and butter shots!!!! Hes gonna have to wear his opponents down.

And im afraid if he makes the semis esp against Youhzny even if he squeaked a win it would be a tournament ender like that match against Murray last year....

tennizen
01-21-2008, 02:31 AM
I won't mind too much if Youzhny beat him though, I like Youzhny a lot. That reminds me, I need to re-work my sig. I had it organized in a specific way, but that way is no longer relevant (it's based on my favorites in arbitrary categories I created). Plus Gasquet has been putting me to sleep recently, and in his category he barely squeaked passed Murray. Maybe I should switch. I'll give it some thinking over.

I don't think Tsonga has a chance btw, unless Youzhny is injured again or something, so it should get interesting. Hopefully Nadal will amp it up and we'll get a nice 5-setter out of it.

And hopefully Hewitt beats Djokovic tonight.

I like Youzhny too but when he plays Nadal I prefer Nadal. However, Youzhny's in great form so I wouldn't mind a five setter too. And with you on Hewitt beating Djoko.

I was just looking at the Federer-Tipsarevic thread. It's like every one of his posts leads to an argument. I got into one with him for no reason at all, but I posted in a style that I thought would particularly aggravate him and it was fairly fun. Next time I'll start an argument and be completely "illogical" and see how it works. People obsessed with "logic" are funny, because once they come up against someone who is illogical, their worldview gets shaken to the core and they get really upset and have to make the other person understand their logic. All very funny to watch.

That's a rather interesting viewpoint to take. Will try that next time:yeah::wavey:

MariaV
01-21-2008, 08:01 AM
Rafa has the wonderful afternoon match tomorrow again. Thank you so very much AO organizers. :D :D :hatoff: VAMOS!!!! :banana: :bigclap: :bounce: :yippee:

Rod Laver Arena 11.00 AM
1. Men's Doubles - Qtr. Finals
Arnaud Clement (FRA)[7] v. Daniel Nestor (CAN)[2]
Michael Llodra (FRA)[7] Nenad Zimonjic (SRB)[2]
2. Women's Singles - Qtr. Finals
Jelena Jankovic (SRB)[3] v. Serena Williams (USA)[7]
3. Men's Singles - Qtr. Finals
Jarkko Nieminen (FIN)[24] v. Rafael Nadal (ESP)[2]

yana
01-21-2008, 04:00 PM
Rafa has the wonderful afternoon match tomorrow again. Thank you so very much AO organizers. :D :D :hatoff: VAMOS!!!! :banana: :bigclap: :bounce: :yippee:

Rod Laver Arena 11.00 AM
1. Men's Doubles - Qtr. Finals
Arnaud Clement (FRA)[7] v. Daniel Nestor (CAN)[2]
Michael Llodra (FRA)[7] Nenad Zimonjic (SRB)[2]
2. Women's Singles - Qtr. Finals
Jelena Jankovic (SRB)[3] v. Serena Williams (USA)[7]
3. Men's Singles - Qtr. Finals
Jarkko Nieminen (FIN)[24] v. Rafael Nadal (ESP)[2]

It's perfect for me too. I don't have to wake up in the middle of the night nor be late to the job. :worship:

l_mac
01-21-2008, 04:12 PM
I have to wake up in the middle of the night.

But I might not bother. I have been too many times sitting sadly in front of my TV as Rafa departs yet another hardcourt Slam before the semis :sad: :sad:

yana
01-21-2008, 06:15 PM
I have to wake up in the middle of the night.

But I might not bother. I have been too many times sitting sadly in front of my TV as Rafa departs yet another hardcourt Slam before the semis :sad: :sad:

I know what you mean. But look at it this way: maybe it's the last time you can see Rafa at AO. This Nieminen is good. :scared: :p

cmurray
01-21-2008, 07:41 PM
Bye Rafa. :sad: It's been nice watching you. Sniff.

Johnny Groove
01-21-2008, 11:25 PM
Yeah, but he's after Jankovic :o

The Massu of the women's tour :o

cmurray
01-22-2008, 02:04 AM
Yeah, but he's after Jankovic :o

The Massu of the women's tour :o

God help up all. :rolleyes:

Surely Serena can speed things along. Then again.....

l_mac
01-22-2008, 05:49 AM
:haha: :haha: @ the attempted jump smash, 3rd game 3rd set.

l_mac
01-22-2008, 06:20 AM
:woohoo: :woohoo:

Lopaka
01-22-2008, 06:58 AM
With Rafa now into his first hard court Slam semi I'm not sure if I should cheer or go into seclusion away from all media sources until after the AO finishes.:unsure:

Nah, he looks good and did not disappoint at Indian Wells so I guess I'll chance a few more hours in front of the television.:woohoo:

Mimi
01-22-2008, 07:09 AM
:woohoo::yippee::dance::yippee::nerner::baby::musi c::rocker2::banana::rocker:

01-22-2008, 09:03 AM
Congrats to Rafa on his win :) And now for the Semis Vamos :woohoo:

Castafiore
01-22-2008, 09:09 AM
Despite the fact that I actually like watching Nieminen (he's not a flashy player but he's crafty at times), Rafa's matches against Jarkko have always been sort of annoying to watch. On Eurosport, they wondered if this has something to do with it being a lefty vs a lefty.
They asked Rafa if it's harder for him to play a lefty because he's not used to it but Rafa said that playing as a lefty himself helps him because he knows how a lefthanded player tends to think. They asked him if he was surprised or excited to have reached his first SF on hardcourts. He said "neither" and he admitted that there's a bit of luck involved as well as hard work (not just in the tournament but also in the preparation)

But he's through to the SF. :) The rest is icing on that cake(walk), as they say.

MariaV
01-22-2008, 09:17 AM
Despite the fact that I actually like watching Nieminen (he's not a flashy player but he's crafty at times), Rafa's matches against Jarkko have always been sort of annoying to watch. On Eurosport, they wondered if this has something to do with it being a lefty vs a lefty.
They asked Rafa if it's harder for him to play a lefty because he's not used to it but Rafa said that playing as a lefty himself helps him because he knows how a lefthanded player tends to think. They asked him if he was surprised or excited to have reached his first SF on hardcourts. He said "neither" and he admitted that there's a bit of luck involved as well as hard work (not just in the tournament but also in the preparation)

But he's through to the SF. :) The rest is icing on that cake(walk), as they say.

Hilde! :hatoff: Yes I saw the ES interview. :D Rafa looked so cute. :D
I watched the match on Russian NTV + tennis pay TV channel though with a truly lovely commentator who liked the match very much actually (just like me ;) :D), his point was that it doesn't have to be a thriller score-wise to be remembered for a long time, it can also be nice game-wise which this match was. And I whole-heartedly agree with him, there were wonderful rallies and wonderful shots from both guys, Jarkko's fh on fire in the 1st set and Rafa's amazing jump smash and passing shots. :worship: The commentator said Rafa could be a volley ball player with jumping ability like that. :lol:
I don't bother listening to those ES hatas when I can. :o

cc2monac
01-22-2008, 10:16 AM
congrats rafa for your first SF at the AO! I'm so happy for him! hope he can go even further! I can't beleive he still hasn't lost a set! I hope it will help some to understand that rafa is a great player no matter the surface!
vamos rafa!

MariaV
01-22-2008, 12:18 PM
That's a funny headline, considering. ;)

Fresh Nadal looks to break duck
Tuesday, 22 January, 2008
By Adam Lucius

A fresh and injury-free Rafael Nadal believes he is in the best shape to win his first Grand Slam away from the claycourts of Roland Garros after reaching the Australian Open semi-finals.

The three-time French Open champion overcame a first-set blip - coming from 4-5 down - to ease past Finn Jarkko Nieminen 7-5 6-3 6-1 on Tuesday and book a semi-final berth against either Jo-Wilfried Tsonga or Mikhail Youzhny.

Itís already the Spaniard's best performance at Melbourne Park and has arrived without the usual energy-sapping five-set marathons, leading the powerfully-built left-hander to predict the best is yet to come.

"It's better than usual (because) I always play a lot of time on court," Nadal said.

"This year, not one match more than two and a half hours, so it's very good for me. That's a very good thing about my game."

"I'm happy because I am here without losing a set. That's always an important point." :D :D

Nadal made the Australian Open quarter-finals last year and reached the last eight at the 2006 US Open.

But that's where his hardcourt roll of honour started and ended - until Tuesday's victory over Nieminen.

"It's a good moment for me - being my first semi-finals on hardcourt at a Grand Slam," he said. "I'm happy because it's important to cross the quarter-finals."

"I try my best (to reach) the final. If I'm in the final on Sunday it's going to be a dream for me, to start the season like this."

"I'm very happy about my start here. It's better than I thought." :D :D

Nieminen, who was beaten but not disgraced in a heartening centre court performance, is backing Nadal to go all the way.

"I think he's playing great. I had some weapons to win almost any point and any game, but in the long run, he's so good," the Finn said.

"He gets so many balls back and when he can go around with his forehand, then it's always trouble."

"To beat him best of five, it's very tough. I think he's playing very good at the moment."

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/articles/2008-01-22/200801221200994456078.html

tennizen
01-22-2008, 03:47 PM
Well looks like Nadal finally got over the quarterfinal hump. Well I suppose the AO ends for him here. I was very sure Youzhny would beat Tsonga but what happened!! Well Tsonga will have his revenge for the USO. As far as I can remember he wasn't too pleased with his loss then.

cmurray
01-22-2008, 04:23 PM
:haha: :haha: @ the attempted jump smash, 3rd game 3rd set.

I had to laugh too. Good LORD. He was all off balance. Looked a little like a really drunk Spiderman.

l_mac
01-22-2008, 05:01 PM
Presser :inlove:

Q. Is that the sort of match you needed at this stage of the tournament?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, maybe I wasn't play my best match, my best tennis today, but it was enough. I'm happy about the victory. I didn't play bad.

I played very good with my forehand, I think. I touched the ball when I have time, touched the ball perfect every time. Well, the rest, little bit worse than the last match, the serve and the backhand.

That's Points to improve on this match if I want chances for win.

Q. Do you believe overall you are playing your best hardcourt tennis?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't think, no? I am playing well. I'm playing good tennis, good level, but last year I played very good level in many tournaments. In Indian Wells I played very well, I think. Similar, little bit better than here.

I don't know, some more tournaments. But last year I played very nice tournaments on hardcourt, no? Anyway, it a good moment for me. Be the first semifinals on hardcourt, Grand Slam, and so it's very important for me. I'm happy to because I am here without losing a set. That's always an important point.

Q. Does this surface suit your game more?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know. No, I think when I am playing fine, when I am playing well, I can play well in all surfaces, no? It's not new play good in hardcourt. I had some quarterfinals, but didn't have semifinals yet in Grand Slam. I say before, I play very good tournaments.

So happy, because always is important cross the quarterfinals. I play it in here and in United States, US Open. So closest, this round, is very important for me.

I right now try my best for being in this final, no? If I'm in the final on Sunday, going to be a dream for me here, no, start the season like this. I'm very happy about my start here, playing the final in Chennai and being in the semifinals here. It's better than I thought.

Q. You saved nine set points in the first set since the beginning of the tournament. How important is it to win the first set to enter in the match?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, for sure it's very important, save set points in the first set, especially because if you save set points, go a little bit more down later, no? But I think I'm playing well in important moments, I'm playing fine.

Serving with good position in this moments. And I'm happy because I save some important moments this week.

Q. What can you say about Jarkko as a tennis player and a person?

RAFAEL NADAL: Very, very nice guy. Very good person, I'm sure. He never has any problem with nobody, so I have very good relation with him. I think he's perfect person and he's very good player, very complete player, only a little bit second serve.

But for the rest, he has all the shots, no? He can do backhand, very good backhand, good forehand, very fast on court. So he can do very well. For the last years, he's in the very good position in the ranking.

Q. How does your body feel compared to last year at the US Open and hardcourts?

RAFAEL NADAL: My body is perfect, no? (laughter) Physically speaking. Nothing perfect. :worship: :haha: :hearts:

Q. At the US Open last year you were struggling a bit at the end. Is it much better now?

RAFAEL NADAL: Sure, no? Last year I played ‑‑ second of the tour who played more matches, and they only had the problem at the US Open. So it was a very, very good year for me, physically speaking. And this year I start very well, no? I don't have any problems at US Open and I'm in semifinals without losing a set.

Always help a little bit because would be more fresh in the slams, no? But physically I'm very happy, no? I don't have any problem. :)

Q. Will you watch the other quarterfinal tonight?

RAFAEL NADAL: Sure. I'm going to watch a little bit in the hotel. Relax. Go little bit to the swimming pool. Rest.

Q. Do you have to tell yourself on court to play aggressively on hardcourts, or is it coming more naturally to you now?

RAFAEL NADAL: I have to continue to play more aggressive, no? I ‑‑ I need start good the matches, like the match before against Mathieu, no? More aggressive, trying to go inside the court and trying to do the point with the forehand.

Because I am touching perfect the forehand. So sometimes I play like this with my forehand, so it's easy to understand I'm a little bit more behind. But right now I have to go inside because I am touching very good the ball with the forehand, and I have to do for this in the semifinals if I want to win. ( :haha: Didn't understand a word of this)

And for sure everybody tell me you have to play more aggressive in hardcourt. You have to serve better. I am trying. I am working very hard always. This is what I do in practice. When I say a lot, it's a lot.

Well, with my uncle ‑‑ well, sure, my uncle always repeat me the same: Go inside. Don't lose court. Don't go behind the line. I'm working very hard on this. :lol: (Can't say I'd notcied)

Q. So you think this would be a good season, or this season, for you to win an Open rather than Roland Garros in one of the other surface? If this season, 2008 will be the season where we see Rafael Nadal to win an Open than the Roland Garros one?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I am semifinals right now, no? I don't want to think about that, because winning Grand Slam is very difficult. In grass, in clay, everything difficult in Grand Slam. This year I gonna try my best, but the same like every year. Not like this year is the year.

Last year I try my best. This year I gonna try my best another time. If it's better. This year I start better than last year. If not this year, next year, next year, next year. I gonna try my best all the career for try to win Grand Slam outside of clay. :yeah: :hearts:

Q. A lot of your opponents are stepping into the court taking time away from you. Tsonga and Youzhny both have that game plan, as well. How are you going to try to overcome that?

RAFAEL NADAL: Can you repeat?

Q. Simon and even, say, Nieminen was stepping into the court, sort of taking time away from you. Tsonga and Youzhny can sort of play that similar sort of game. How are you going to overcome that? What are your thoughts?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, everybody can do it, because every player tries to go inside the court, try to play aggressive against me. :( (Cheaters!) Because the people knows if we play long point from the baseline, I have bit more chances. But the people try to go inside the court.

Youzhny is a difficult player for me to play against him. I lost some times against him. The final of Chennai doesn't count. It's not in my mind, this one, because I can't play, no? :lol:

But the last times, yes. He beat me in Dubai last year, in the US Open 2006. And I beat him, yeah, sometimes too. In Wimbledon, in Bercy at the end of the season.

So always it's a very tough match against him. He play very aggressive, he go inside the court and he's playing very well, no?

And Tsonga the same: Big serve, very aggressive player. Everybody can do it, no? The thing is try to play like this. I have to play aggressive if I want to win the semifinals, aggressive and good.

Q. This might be the first time that you've reached a semifinal at a Grand Slam, and you haven't played so many hours on court. Can you talk about that and whether that's a very good thing for you?

RAFAEL NADAL: Not about experience. It's better than usually. I always play a lot of time on court. This year, no one match more than two hours and a half, I think. So it's very good for me. That's a very good thing about my game, no?

Sure, I have little bit luck against Mathieu, but the rest of the matches is a good move. Play not more than two hours and a half. <------ a little bit of luck? Hoe JMP doesn't see this :haha:

RAFAEL NADAL: My body is perfect, no? (laughter) Physically speaking. Nothing perfect.

Oh, Rafa :haha: :haha: :inlove: :hearts:

cmurray
01-22-2008, 05:38 PM

RAFAEL NADAL: My body is perfect, no? (laughter) Physically speaking. Nothing perfect.

I hope he never perfects his English. I would SO miss these little gems.

yana
01-22-2008, 06:17 PM

Now that's a good presser :lol:

NevaNadal
01-22-2008, 08:24 PM
Well looks like Nadal finally got over the quarterfinal hump. Well I suppose the AO ends for him here. I was very sure Youzhny would beat Tsonga but what happened!! Well Tsonga will have his revenge for the USO. As far as I can remember he wasn't too pleased with his loss then.

Wow...way to keep positive ;)

Thank God the semi is shown overnight here so at least I'll get my disapointment over with early in the day :)

NaDALiTa
01-22-2008, 09:22 PM
I'm soooo happy he went through the 1/4,now serious things begin Tsonga has a lot of confidence,but Rafa is the favorite so he has no pressure for this match...i'm really positive!! VaMos!! :bounce: The French media are doing their work :devil: ...puting pressure on their champion!Everybody's talking about Jo on the Tv,Newspaper,Radio etc...

tennizen
01-22-2008, 09:37 PM
Wow...way to keep positive ;)

Thank God the semi is shown overnight here so at least I'll get my disapointment over with early in the day :)

Every unexpected win of Nadal's is a blessing for me. So my expectations start with him losing in the first round;)

cmurray
01-22-2008, 09:53 PM
It's been a great tournament, Rafa. See you in Dubai. :sad:

l_mac
01-22-2008, 10:30 PM
Little video of Rafa's press conference today

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/ver/251.6/popup/index.php?cl=6040190

hra87
01-22-2008, 10:41 PM
It's been a great tournament, Rafa. See you in Dubai. :sad:

Rotterdam...

l_mac
01-23-2008, 12:51 AM
Just storing this info here in case the haters get too much for me :)

Fed's AO draw 2006.

195 - Istomin (R128)
69 - Mayer (R64)
34 - Mirnyi (R32)
41 - Haas (R16)
5 Davydenko (QF)
25 - Kiefer (semis)
54 - Baghdatis (final)

NaDALiTa
01-23-2008, 01:12 AM
Dunno where he said it in press conference or in another interview (i'm gonna try a little traduction if i make mistakes feel free to tell it :) )

"Tres años con puntuación de número uno y ser el número dos hace que me sienta muy feliz, pero por otra parte se me ocurre una palabra que no la voy a decir", dijo Nadal al comparar la diferencia que siempre le ha sacado Federer. "Si, es una putada" ( :lol: :spit: poooor Rafa :hug: ) , apuntó luego, "pero no lo lamento porque he compartido parte de mi carrera con el mejor de la historia".

"Three years with enough points to be number one and being number 2 make me feel happy,but on the other side it makes me think about a word that i wouldn't say" said Nadal comparing the difference that have always separated him from Federer . "Well it's a f*cked up situation/pain in the (famouzz) ass" (not sure abt the traduction tho )he explained then "but i won't complain about sharing a part of my career with the goat"

MariaV
01-23-2008, 03:06 AM
What mastering of English are you talking about girls? :scratch: :confused:
He said he has a perfect body and that's totally and absolutely true, isn't it? :angel: :D

MariaV
01-23-2008, 08:10 AM
Ladies and gents! :singer:
We have another night match. Let's hope Jo isn't that experienced with night matches either. VAMOS! :banana: :bigclap: :yippee:

Rod Laver Arena 7.30 PM
1. Men's Singles - Semis
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (FRA) v. Rafael Nadal (ESP)[2]

tennizen
01-23-2008, 04:00 PM
I don't want to put anyone's enthusiasm down but I am terrified abt this semi. I need reassurance. I have too much work and can't stay up to watch. Well maybe it's a good thing.

l_mac
01-23-2008, 04:39 PM
You won't be getting any reassrance from me.

Tsonga's on a roll, has huge firepower and contempt for Rafa's game. :sad:

tennizen
01-23-2008, 04:42 PM
You won't be getting any reassrance from me.

Tsonga's on a roll, has huge firepower and contempt for Rafa's game. :sad:

l_mac: you and I must be the most pessimistic of Rafa's fans. But all for good reason I think:sad: I am glad I won't be watching.

Metis
01-23-2008, 04:45 PM
I don't want to put anyone's enthusiasm down but I am terrified abt this semi. I need reassurance. I have too much work and can't stay up to watch. Well maybe it's a good thing.

Don't be afraid. Just think that Rafa has already done better than last year. :)

l_mac
01-23-2008, 04:47 PM
Don't be afraid. Just think that Rafa has already done better than last year. :)

And this is the other way I like to look at things! I never expected a semi, even with his good draw. It's been a great tournament for rafa fans :)

Foxy
01-23-2008, 05:27 PM
I think this semi is like a penalty in football, meaning he has a great opportunity. Rafa can score, but he can miss also.

MariaV
01-23-2008, 05:47 PM
lI am glad I won't be watching.

Me too, I have too goddamn much work so I can't come home for the match. And actually I am glad about that.
OK here the compulsory :sad: smilie
:wavey:

Metis
01-23-2008, 06:21 PM

Fed's AO draw 2006.

195 - Istomin (R128)
69 - Mayer (R64)
34 - Mirnyi (R32)
41 - Haas (R16)
5 Davydenko (QF)
25 - Kiefer (semis)
54 - Baghdatis (final)

:yeah:

I just noticed this. It might come in handy :lol:

l_mac
01-23-2008, 06:26 PM
Rafa signs a fan's bra, then checks her out. I don't think this means he isn't still a virgin though.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uG9vVisdY1w

yana
01-23-2008, 06:30 PM
Maria, that means around 10.30 our time?

Anyway, enough with all this "not wanted to jinx him". Remember, if Rafa reach a GM semi, he'll reach the final too :music:

tennizen
01-23-2008, 06:30 PM
Rafa signs a fan's bra, then checks her out. I don't think this means he isn't still a virgin though.

:haha: I just saw that on VB. Totally hilarious

yana
01-23-2008, 06:31 PM

:haha:

tennizen
01-23-2008, 06:31 PM

That's definitely a positive. Atleast he has a hard court semi on his name now:)

l_mac
01-23-2008, 06:33 PM
Maria, that means around 10.30 our time?

Anyway, enough with all this "not wanted to jinx him". Remember, if Rafa reach a GM semi, he'll reach the final too :music:

So far, but this is a hardcourt. Whole New World :) :sad:

tennizen
01-23-2008, 06:33 PM
Me too, I have too goddamn much work so I can't come home for the match. And actually I am glad about that.
OK here the compulsory :sad: smilie
:wavey:

The smiley's is very comforting I should say. Takes the pressure off;):wavey:

Metis
01-23-2008, 06:43 PM

:spit: :rolls:

Priceless! One of the commentators was even able to determine the size: 34C! :haha:

Getta
01-23-2008, 06:51 PM

Fed's AO draw 2006.

195 - Istomin (R128)
69 - Mayer (R64)
34 - Mirnyi (R32)
41 - Haas (R16)
5 Davydenko (QF)
25 - Kiefer (semis)
54 - Baghdatis (final)

Accidentally being here ;) (oh dear, I can see myself as a Rafa fangirl in a few months :o), I have to notice that Haas and Davydenko are not considered easy opponents on hard courts. Especially in their 2006 form...

l_mac
01-23-2008, 06:56 PM
Accidentally being here ;) (oh dear, I can see myself as a Rafa fangirl in a few months :o), I have to notice that Haas and Davydenko are not considered easy opponents on hard courts. Especially in their 2006 form...

:wavey: Form isn't being taken into consideration for Rafa's draw, so, in the interests of fairness, I don't take it into consideration for Federer :)

And if, IF, he gets to the Final he will have to face the 2 players who proved themselves to be the clear #1 and #2 on the surface.

Don't think I haven't given this argument considerable thought.

l_mac
01-23-2008, 07:11 PM
I think I'd have preferred a day match for the semi. Mainly because then I could have watched it :lol:

Did I post the video of Rafa's presser in here? I think I did.

yana
01-23-2008, 07:21 PM
Rafa's toughest match till now and I can't watch it.

I think I'll pretend to work tomorrow too...like always, and watch the livescores :p

Aenea
01-23-2008, 10:37 PM

Roger's camp (aka Mirka) strikes back. :devil:
This girl has been sent to distract Rafa and take him off balance. This conspiracy will surface some day. Mark my words.

NaDALiTa
01-24-2008, 12:57 AM
It's easier for me to watch the night session (even though Rafa doesn't like to play it ) and tomorrow i play truant from uni to watch the match (remembers me of RG times) :woohoo: ...so Rafa'd better not to loose!Vamos!!!

hra87
01-24-2008, 06:04 AM
Come on guys (gals that is), there's precisely a 0 percent chance that Rafa's going to lose against Tsonga. I'm going to sleep now and will expect to wake up to a straight sets victory.

Now blaze, if he loses, you will learn that jinxes ARE real. :D

l_mac
01-24-2008, 09:08 AM
Nadal off to a flyer against Tsonga.

the_natural
01-24-2008, 09:11 AM
Um no I dont think rafa has much of a chance if any, it would take 5 sets of tennis even more draining than the match against Murray last year. Tsonga is playing out of his skin and rafa has sucked on serve the entire week against MUCH lesser opponents and mostly guys who dont have any weapons.

Nole has gone through without dropping a set against high quality opponents, Rafa has had a cakewalk draw but Obviously hasnt improved his biggest weakness, his serve, especially that crappy second serve. I dunno what the hell He thought he needed to work on during the off season but it was obviously all wrong.

Oh yeah and he nearly lost several sets against several much more lowly players.

I think itll be tsonga in a possible straight sets upset or 4 sets max, although I wanted Rafa to win, and already hes been thrashed like a f@#$ing B!tch DAMN IT RAFA!!!! WHY wouldnt you improve that serve? Its the one thing you have 100% control over

l_mac
01-24-2008, 09:23 AM
Um no I dont think rafa has much of a chance if any, it would take 5 sets of tennis even more draining than the match against Murray last year. Tsonga is playing out of his skin and rafa has sucked on serve the entire week against MUCH lesser opponents and mostly guys who dont have any weapons.

Huh? He's served quite well apart from in the Nieminen match.

Nole has gone through without dropping a set against high quality opponents

Becker? Bolelli? Querrey? :haha: Half dead Hewitt? :haha: Ferrer was always going to be blown away by Nole, but he played really, really badly.

Cat123
01-24-2008, 10:30 AM
I cannot believe what I'm seeing. Respect to Tsonga. But :help: :tape: He's not just losing, he's being blown away.

VAMOS!!!!! :(

l_mac
01-24-2008, 10:35 AM
Come on guys (gals that is), there's precisely a 0 percent chance that Rafa's going to lose against Tsonga. I'm going to sleep now and will expect to wake up to a straight sets victory.

Man, are you going to get an unpleasant surprise :lol:

Don't call Rafa's matches ever again :mad:

the_natural
01-24-2008, 10:37 AM
Huh? He's served quite well apart from in the Nieminen match.

Becker? Bolelli? Querrey? :haha: Half dead Hewitt? :haha: Ferrer was always going to be blown away by Nole, but he played really, really badly.

Ok i overexaggeratted with that quality bit, but he hewitt was playing better than most of Rafas opponents, Niemenin would have been no trouble for the federer or Nole, Ferrer has beaten rafa twice on hard courts already and from the way he was returning Noles serve (and i watched the match twice) nobody could say he was playing REALLY REALLY badly, he just missed a few shots her and there on some big points but he wasnt playing Horrendously, he was playing well enough to take rafa to 4 maybe 5 sets.

Rafa lost serve twice against serra whom he beat 6-0 6-2 6-2, thats probably the biggest sign that something was wrong with the serve, it just doesnt trouble anyone.

And now rafas Aussie open campaign is over, and in only 3 easy sets. He really F@#$ed up from the word go, he lost the match the minute he started trying to "impose his will" upon tsonga in the practice, he tried to hit him off the court and show who's boss, Tsonga at first was taken by suprised, then he got pissed, really idiotic move from rafa cos at that moment Tsonga forgot the occassion and just knew that he wanted to kill rafa.

And rafa also had a slight mess up in the 3rd at 15-40 when he hit the passing shot straight at tsonga rather than down the open line.

This just gives fuel to all the haters to say hes only a clay court specialist and its because hes weakest in the 2 most important areas needed to be a great fast courter Weak return and weaker serve, His serve would be adaquate if he could only get more returns back and destroy serves that are "below average"

the_natural
01-24-2008, 10:46 AM
This is gonna kill Rafa, Im worried, I think the "analysts" were right for once, this could be the year he loses the number 2 ranking, Guys all over are stepping up to him on Hard courts, Hes likely to lose Indian Wells, and hes got alot of pressure at Wimbledon, All the pressure is on him to defend all his points during the clay season. F#@$

I know that Rafa's groundies dont penetrate and he stands far back because of his extreme grip but I still gotta believe if he hadnt been made a lefty by uncle toni, things woulda been MUCH easier on serve (they even said in 05 that the serve was the toughest part for him to get used to being a natural righty), he woulda probably be outserving roddick if he played righty.

Foxy
01-24-2008, 11:24 AM
Hm, the match wasn't that onesided as the result might suggest. The truth is Tsonga had more than luck at some very key points. There were some situations where the match could have been overturned but pity... I've seen Rafa win more hopeless matches than this but it wasn't his day today. Rafa should have used more the clumsiness of Tsonga.

RogiRafaFan86
01-24-2008, 11:29 AM
I still say Rafa needs a HC coach. Not as his primary coach, mind you, but as someone to just help him out a bit.

And talking to a sports psychologist might not be the worst thing for Rafa.

chocc0
01-24-2008, 11:33 AM
OMG Tsonga was on fire tonight...poor Rafa, he wasn't even playing badly, he just couldnt get into the match and dominate :sad:

NevaNadal
01-24-2008, 11:45 AM
And so it begins....

Don't even get me started on Indian Wells :eek:

Wake me up when it's Claycourt season again :zzz:

That. is. all.

MariaV
01-24-2008, 12:34 PM
Q. Obviously you're not very happy. What happened to your game out there tonight?

RAFAEL NADAL: Nothing.

Q. Nothing?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't think so, no? We have to accept today. He played unbelievable. Playing very hard the ball every time, serving unbelievable. Sometimes he miss. In the backhand he didn't miss not one. Forehand, every time he does the forehand was winner, so congratulate him. That's it.

Q. You never seemed to be able to get into your rhythm.

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I was in rhythm, no? But the true is I don't have chances in this match. I was playing fine, but, well, you can say me ‑‑ ask me some more things, but the true is that's my feelings right now, no? He play better than me. I have to accept that. That's it. Continuing improve.

But, anyway, play like in this level like he play, this guy play this way tonight, very difficult to stop.

Q. You played Federer maybe 14 times. Has Federer ever played better against you than Jo‑Wilfried did tonight?

RAFAEL NADAL: Federer is Federer, no? He can play at this level or little bit better, but better than tonight is really difficult. It's tough say. Difficult to compare. Is different the styles, but Tsonga tonight was unbelievable.

Some volleys, I can't believe some volleys. I have some good passing shots and then dropshot volley. I didn't understand, no? So nothing. Nothing was more, no? It's difficult to say a lot of things about this match because I say it, no? He play better than me, and for that reason he beat me.

I try to play my best; I tried to play little bit slower; I tried to play a little bit faster; I tried to play more inside the court; behind the court. No chance. Not today. Maybe next time.

Q. In the break volley, did you think it was the turning point at that point?

RAFAEL NADAL: Better be 2‑0 than 1‑1 in the third, no? The true is he was playing unbelievable. Well, if I had this break maybe he can feel a little bit more the pression for be in Grand Slam final.

But, well, this point is, there's no explanation of how he's playing, this guy, no? I play a very good point, good passing shot. I arrive to the dropshot. Very good shot to the ball. Touch the ball shit, very bad, and the ball was very close on to the line, no? No chance.

Q. So you mean it was lucky sometimes? He was lucky sometimes on some shots?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, come on. I didn't say nothing about that, no? I said he play very, very good and he's not lucky, no. Not lucky when he beat Murray, when he beat Gasquet, when he beat Youzhny. It's not lucky.

It's a lot of times playing very well in this tournament. We will see when the year is coming, but in this tournament, nothing to say.

Q. Can he beat Roger? If Roger gets through, can he beat?

RAFAEL NADAL: I think he gonna feel the pression in first Grand Slam final. Roger or Djokovic, if he play like today he have his chances against both, but I think he going to feel the pression for the final, no?

Q. Were you amazed that he didn't feel more pressure out there tonight, even in a semifinal?

RAFAEL NADAL: It's very different. It's very different play final than win a very important title. For my opinion it's totally different.

Q. What did the umpire have to say? There was a change of ends and the umpire was speaking to you. What was that all about?

RAFAEL NADAL: Nothing. No, nothing important. He say me, (In Spanish)...

BENITO PEREZ: Like if he's faking the serve, you know? Like faking the serve and then serving. He said that Tsonga said he was sort of faking the serve and then he was serving, not doing the whole movement. You know what I mean? Very strange thing. It had no sense. He said Tsonga told him, but he didn't argue too much. :confused: :scratch:

Q. Until you ran into Jo tonight, did you feel you were playing well enough to win this tournament?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yes, I think so. I was playing very fine, very good, but not for beat Tsonga tonight.

Q. When you played him at the US Open, could you see the kind of game he could bring like he did tonight back then a few months ago?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, we have to think, no? Difficult right now he is in the best moment of his career. He's playing with zero pression. He's playing ‑‑ everything is going good for him.

So when you are playing like this every ball is going to the line. Every ball is going inside. Is not the real level I think. Is not his real level. Sure, he can play like this, but not every week. It's impossible, no? Right now he's ‑‑ what's his ranking now?

Q. 38.

RAFAEL NADAL: What do you think? This level he can be 38 never, no?

Q. Maybe that's the not real level of his game. He's been hurt a lot.

RAFAEL NADAL: He's improving. He improve a lot. But the true is I think he can't play at this level every time, no? Running unbelievable, physically very explosive, everything. What I can say? Nothing bad about his game tonight. I have to find something. I gonna think all the night, no?

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/interviews/2008-01-24/200801241201176322037.html

Castafiore
01-24-2008, 01:31 PM

Worked like a charm. ;)

tennizen
01-24-2008, 01:31 PM
Hi folks!. I just woke up and am oddly cheerful at the loss. Guess the complete expectation of the loss and the reassuring presence of (Is Nadal losing it, Nadal needs a coach, Nadal is a pig) etc in GM did a lot to cheer me up. One guy with a very warm heart also commented that Nadal will be No. 1 in an alternate universe. 4th round, quarters,semis, next year final and 2010 is when he will win AO:lol: The funny thing is Tsonga was coming through the draw faster than a bullet and everybody somehow expected Nadal to dodge it:)

Metis
01-24-2008, 01:45 PM
Worked like a charm. ;)

:lol: hra87 needs to be banned from the Nadal forum :p

Well, better luck next time Rafa. Tsonga was unplayable today and Rafa had no answers. Nice interview though. I wonder what that 'faking the serve' was all about :confused:.

Other than that expected MTF reaction, never in doubt etc :zzz:.

Now Rafa has 4 weeks to prepare for Rotterdam, Dubai and the 2 AMS tournaments. I hope we'll see some improvement. All these tournaments have great fields.

cmurray
01-24-2008, 01:49 PM
I fully expected Tsonga to beat him. Rafa simply wasn't able to work into a groove. :shrug:

hra87
01-24-2008, 02:30 PM

Haha, it was almost worth it that he lost, this was too funny. It's like I'm a fed fan in disguise!

Take that blaze!

l_mac
01-24-2008, 04:52 PM
Haha, it was almost worth it that he lost, this was too funny. It's like I'm a fed fan in disguise!

Take that blaze!

No, it wasn't worth it :sad:

What a fucking nightmare of a match.

cc2monac
01-24-2008, 04:53 PM
poor rafa...still he has a great AO...better to think like that than to think he lost just before the final...

hra87
01-24-2008, 04:56 PM
poor rafa...still he has a great AO...better to think like that than to think he lost just before the final...

I didn't think Rafa declined because he only got to R16 in USO and I don't think he improved getting to Semis in AO. There's no consolation in the fact that he's playing exactly the way he's always been playing - Quraterfinal level, plus or minus depending on draw. I don't define great by how far players get, I define it by how well they played based on their draw. Rafa played exactly as he always does.

Foxy
01-24-2008, 05:24 PM
Why isn't he improving his serve? Even I hit better serves than him.
Seriously, the following month until Rotterdam he sould do smth in that direction. See, someone like Youzhny with decent serve almost took the tiebreak. And Murray kicked the sh*t out of him in the third set in the first round. Even Gasquet performed better. Let's not mention the guy Warburg... And I absolutely DO NOT agree Tsonga was "unplayble" or "unbeatable". Rafa had some minor chances here and there. Tsonga had quite enough games where his serve wasn't working properly especially in the second set. How the hell Rafa beat this Tsonga at the fast service in New York injured so convincingly?

l_mac
01-24-2008, 05:33 PM
I think it's safe to say Tsonga is playing a few levels above what he showed in USO.

cc2monac
01-24-2008, 07:01 PM
I didn't think Rafa declined because he only got to R16 in USO and I don't think he improved getting to Semis in AO. There's no consolation in the fact that he's playing exactly the way he's always been playing - Quraterfinal level, plus or minus depending on draw. I don't define great by how far players get, I define it by how well they played based on their draw. Rafa played exactly as he always does.

I don't define great by how far rafa (or any other player) gets but I honeslty think he showed some great tennis during this AO (not vs tsonga and not during his first match too btw)
against PHM it seemed his serve was better, I had some hopes, but I agree vs tsonga it was horrible...he realy needs to do something to improve it...it's strange because he realy works hard on it...if I remember well Tsonga hit 19 aces during this match and rafa only 2 (+ a double fault) It makes a huge difference, I whish rafa could do the same! His second serve was so slow (137km/h)...even a girl does better!

Still, though "how far" doesn't help to define if a player did great or not, I prefer him loosing in SF than in the first round no matter what tennis he showed
He took some points, this is important too so vamos rafa! :D

MariaV
01-24-2008, 08:26 PM
Well, I watched the match now... and I must agree with what Rafa said at the presser. It's not like he played very bad, Jo was simply amazing. Only I don't know what to do with the serving problem. He IS able to serve better but just not constantly like Fed. :( Simply shocking net play from Jo, so as Rafa said he tried everything, inside the court, far back, nothing helped as Jo was simply too good today. But yeah, I am not too pessimistic any more.
About this 'faking serve' thing - I still didn't quite get, did Jo say smth to the ump when Rafa served 2nd serve once in the 2nd set? And then the ump said smth to Rafa but I didn't hear really, they showed some replay at that moment.
Oh, and Jo is totally :cool:!

Tsonga stunner stops Nadal
Thursday, 24 January, 2008
By Amy Blake

The underdog story is alive and well at Australian Open 2008 after unseeded Frenchman Jo-Wlfried Tsonga disposed of Spaniard Rafael Nadal with an emphatic 6-2 6-3 6-2 win.

The Frenchman came out firing in the opener easing through his first service game before stealing Nadal's off him.

Long rallies wowed a packed Rod Laver Arena as Tsonga scrambled at the net and played perfect drop shots to leave Nadal pondering at the base line.

With a 2-0 lead, the remainder of the first set went on serve until Tsonga decided to finish it off on Nadal's last service game and with three set points in hand he required only one to make it 6-2.

After a brief toilet break Tsonga returned to the court, displaying the same ballerina-like turns and pirouettes that had troubled Nadal in the opening set.

While both men held their first serve it was the 22-year-old Frenchman who got the crowd roaring, urging them to cheer him on.

He decided to make his move while leading at 4-3 and at 40-30 up it was the powerful overhead smash that had Nadal reeling and questioning his renowned forehand.

With three aces and an unforced error from the opposite side of the net handing him the second set at 6-3 the 21-year-old Spaniard was left laughing in disbelief and the crowd giving Tsonga a standing ovation.

Another toilet break for Tsonga and he was back and pumped for set three, while Nadal tried to lift his game.

With two break point opportunities for Nadal in Tsonga's first service game at 15-40 it looked like the No.2 seed was ready to make his move. But a series of unforced errors handed the advantage back, thus ending Nadal's remaining chances.

Tsonga made his first break straight after and although Nadal was able to hold unto his third service game and make it 3-2, he couldn't follow through on the fist pumping and encouragement he fed to himself.

Going with the flow of play, Tsonga broke again taking a 5-2 lead, requiring only one hold of serve to advance to his first Grand Slam final.

He eased to 40-15 in the last game and with a booming ace, just like that, he became a worldwide sensation.

Reacting slowly and in awe of his own efforts at first Tsonga eventually warmed into what has become his trademark jumping and thumbs-up celebration.

Tsonga, who came into the tournament ranked No.38, will next face World No.1 Roger Federer or No.3 Novak Djokovic in the final on Sunday night.

Match Facts

- Tsonga served 17 aces to Nadal’s 2

- The Frenchman converted 5 of 7 break points while Nadal was unsuccessful with 0 of 3

- In the second set Tsonga had 22 winners and 11 unforced errors to Nadal’s two winners and one unforced error

- Both players committed only one double fault for the match

- The match lasted one hour and 57 minutes

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/match_reports/2008-01-24/200801241201173660328.html

Johnroberts
01-24-2008, 10:16 PM
I totally agree. It's not that Nadal played badly or out of form. Tsonga was really on or in the "zone". He hit the ball so hard and rarely made an error. He produced so many incredible winners.
But I don't think he could keep playing like this all the time. Djokovic or Federer will take him out with their much more powerful and effective serve.

Well, I watched the match now... and I must agree with what Rafa said at the presser. It's not like he played very bad, Jo was simply amazing. Only I don't know what to do with the serving problem. He IS able to serve better but just not constantly like Fed. :( Simply shocking net play from Jo, so as Rafa said he tried everything, inside the court, far back, nothing helped as Jo was simply too good today. But yeah, I am not too pessimistic any more.
About this 'faking serve' thing - I still didn't quite get, did Jo say smth to the ump when Rafa served 2nd serve once in the 2nd set? And then the ump said smth to Rafa but I didn't hear really, they showed some replay at that moment.
Oh, and Jo is totally :cool:!

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/match_reports/2008-01-24/200801241201173660328.html

01-24-2008, 10:24 PM
Rafa :sad: But Tsonga is having the Tournament of his life right now. It will be interesting to see if Tsonga can keep this up as the year goes on :unsure:

Metis
01-24-2008, 10:25 PM
Thanks for that, Rafa. Loving these heavy defeats more and more.

:lol: at that thread title

l_mac
01-24-2008, 10:40 PM
Thanks for that, Rafa. Loving these heavy defeats more and more.

:lol: at that thread title

Sometimes it takes me a couple of hours to regain my perspective. :o

Metis
01-24-2008, 10:53 PM
understandable :hug:

if you've got to lose at least do it looking good:

http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/MEL22601241053.jpg http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/XMEL20201240948.jpg

http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/XMEL20101240948.jpg

:D

l_mac
01-24-2008, 10:56 PM
Thanks for those, Metis! On days like today it's good to be reminded of why I'm really a fan :hearts:

Did anyone post the little clip from his presser?

here it is http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/ver/251.6/popup/index.php?cl=6068444 I think there's a youtube version if that doesn't work for anyone.

Wilander said Tsonga made Nadal look like a junior. :tape:

Getta
01-25-2008, 01:02 AM
As of today, I am officially a Rafa's fan.

Too dizzy to explain it now, because the posts on GM made me ready to puke. I'll explain it tomorrow.

I assume I'm on a wrong thread. "We still love you. AO Thread" doesn't suit me. It should be "Today I fell in love with you. AO thread" instead.
Don't anyone dare to make my post a separate thread. Just hate attracting attention.

l_mac
01-25-2008, 01:05 AM

Too dizzy to explain it now, because the posts on GM made me ready to puke. I'll explain it tomorrow.

I assume I'm on a wrong thread. "We still love you. AO Thread" doesn't suit me. It should be "Today I fell in love with you. AO thread" instead.
Don't anyone dare to make my post a separate thread. Just hate attracting attention.

:hug: :hug:

FedFan_2007
01-25-2008, 01:54 AM
I'm actually feeling sorry for piggy today. Never like to see him that humiliated.

hra87
01-25-2008, 02:03 AM
I'm actually feeling sorry for piggy today. Never like to see him that humiliated.

Humilliation has become habit at this point. In the final matches of his last 5 tournaments, he's won a whopping 20 games in 11 sets.

cmurray
01-25-2008, 02:31 AM

:hug: Welcome.

Mimi
01-25-2008, 04:15 AM
hahaha, don't be a hyporcrite, i am sure that you were jumping up and down with joy for rafa's defeat :haha:

FedFan_2007
01-25-2008, 05:46 AM
hahaha, don't be a hyporcrite, i am sure that you were jumping up and down with joy for rafa's defeat :haha:

Well, for a moment yeah ;):o but then I thought that Fed might get the same whuppin' by Baby Ali and I thought :(:mad::mad:

Mimi
01-25-2008, 06:51 AM
no need to so be safe, this will not jinx roger, for sure roger is going to beat Baby Ali badly ;), you can prepare your celebration lap and dance now :yippee::music::singer::aparty:

Well, for a moment yeah ;):o but then I thought that Fed might get the same whuppin' by Baby Ali and I thought :(:mad::mad:

Foxy
01-25-2008, 07:34 AM
FedFan_2007, everything is coming back sooner or later. Be patient. Not so long left... :D

Aenea
01-25-2008, 12:27 PM
What goes around comes around.
Roger never got the chance to reach to Ali. :o
Not happy with his defeat but happy with the impact on his fans especially on RF.com.

l_mac
01-25-2008, 03:47 PM
What goes around comes around.
Roger never got the chance to reach to Ali. :o
Not happy with his defeat but happy with the impact on his fans especially on RF.com.

:haha:

Fed has some nice fans here. Though they are in the minority and FedFan2007 isn't one of them.

Castafiore
01-25-2008, 05:48 PM
Judging by Rafa's last blog entry, he's not going to Peru for the Davis Cup.

Blog:
Gracias a todos (http://www.elmundo.es/elmundodeporte/especiales/2008/01/abiertoaustralia/blogs/nadalabiertoaustralia/index.html)

Q&A:
'Mi tŪo me aconsejů no jugar la eliminatoria de la Davis' (http://www.elmundo.es/elmundodeporte/especiales/2008/01/abiertoaustralia/cita_nadal/index.html)

l_mac
01-25-2008, 05:51 PM
Judging by Rafa's last blog entry, he's not going to Peru for the Davis Cup.

Blog:
Gracias a todos (http://www.elmundo.es/elmundodeporte/especiales/2008/01/abiertoaustralia/blogs/nadalabiertoaustralia/index.html)

Q&A:
'Mi tŪo me aconsejů no jugar la eliminatoria de la Davis' (http://www.elmundo.es/elmundodeporte/especiales/2008/01/abiertoaustralia/cita_nadal/index.html)

Good.

There was a tiny amount of chat about that on the schedule thread yesterday.

Love that he went to McD's. Even though McD's is foul and evil.

NaDALiTa
01-25-2008, 07:16 PM
As i've read before,i didn't have the feeling of humiliation during this match,it was a day "without" for Rafa,his balls weren't as long as usual and Tsonga was in a good day,the score is logical after all.In yesterday's match we could really feel that Rafa need to improve his serve,he loses way too much points on his serve!You can't always win!

NaDALiTa
01-25-2008, 07:18 PM
Good.

There was a tiny amount of chat about that on the schedule thread yesterday.

Love that he went to McD's. Even though McD's is foul and evil.

But it's good for the mind :devil::devil::devil:

l_mac
01-25-2008, 07:20 PM

*waits*

yana
01-25-2008, 07:31 PM
Sorry, but this title is wrong.

For Rafa it was the best AO ever, even if he did lose badly to Tsonga.

And if it's about "The Enemy of the State", Djoko, we shouldn't care so much about him, we're Rafatards not X-haters. ;)

NaDALiTa
01-25-2008, 07:40 PM
I agree with the title,it's the worst AO ever on the paper not for Rafa...i sympathize with the unlucky people who bought their tickets for tomorrow's final expecting a Federer-Nadal or Federer-whoever final,and getting Tsonga-Djokovic :lol: :lol: :lol: what a pain in the ass!
I also have a thought for all the gamblers who bet on the King Fed...may their money rest in peace :( also for all the retailers on the black market who could have had good money and who are now forced to see the match!

Seriously this AO is a great disappointment,the semi final were really poor quality (*think of the unforgettable Federer-Safin* )

l_mac
01-25-2008, 07:47 PM
Sorry, but this title is wrong.

For Rafa it was the best AO ever, even if he did lose badly to Tsonga.

And if it's about "The Enemy of the State", Djoko, we shouldn't care so much about him, we're Rafatards not X-haters. ;)

Worst AO ever for me :p I'll change it shortly.

I think I said earlier that nou.amic at vb.com had said I could post her blog translations here, but for various reasons I decided not to. I will post her translation of the last one, because it is so :hearts:

http://estaticos01.cache.el-mundo.net/elmundodeporte/especiales/2008/01/abiertoaustralia/img/pastilla_blog_nadal.gif
Gracias a todos

http://www.elmundo.es/elmundodeporte/especiales/2008/01/abiertoaustralia/blogs/nadalabiertoaustralia/index.html

25 Jan 2008 Translated by nou.amic for VamosBrigade.com

Thank you all

25 January.- Hi everyone.

Well, this is my last blog from Melbourne. Before I say anything else, I would like to apologise for not sending it yesterday but, as you can imagine, I arrived back at the hotel rather late and didn't feel like doing anything. I'm really sorry. I hope this final blog before leaving for the airport will do you.

I imagine there are lots of questions about the match. I think the answers are to be found in what I said to the press. I say 'imagine' because I haven't been able to look at what's in the newspapers yet. There's a very simple answer to the question about how the match went: Tsonga beat me and he beat me very soundly. No excuse, nothing to be said, except to congratulate him on the great match he played. I think tennis is like a set of scales and when one player plays very well the scales dip to his side and prevent the other from playing well. That's what happened in my match against a VERY inspired Tsonga.

Likewise, I'm very pleased with the start I've made to the year. The Chennai final and these semi-finals in the Australian Open better my start to the season last year. I don't think the people who follow and support me should be disappointed because I am not. Of course I wanted to win, of course I would like to have been in the final on Sunday, but... I don't think there's anything else to be said about the match because it has all been said in the press.

So last night, when I had finished all my post-match work, we went back to the hotel. Toni, Rafa Maymo, Benito, myself and Carlos Costa, my manager, who had also been there. In the car, we decided (as it was already late) to stop at a McDonalds (I know, I know) and take the food back to the hotel. I ordered two fish hamburguers, french fries and cola. I don't usually eat these things and even less during a tournament, but I wound things up here yesterday and we felt like doing it.

I'm leaving for the airport now. I'm going back to Mallorca to have a few days rest and start a mini pre-season training period. Practising hard to be in good form for the next tournaments that start in no time.

I want to take this chance to thank many people for all the support they have given me these weeks. Like the Spanish journalists that travelled to Melbourne to follow the tournament, who were here for many days, in a very distant place, with very difficult hours (Pedro, Miguel, Joan, Juan José, Sebastián and Zubi). I already thanked them in the press room, but I don't think they heard me above the noise. And also the many specators there were at the matches and practice sessions with Spanish and Balearic Islands flags. I don't know if they came here from there or live here, but we felt their presence and would like to thank them.

Last of all, I want to tell you that I read the comments by fans and other people that are published in the press and digital newspapers. I would like to reply to them one by one but it is not possible for me. Thank you to those that support me and to those that don't, I always fight and attempt to win with hard work and humility. If I win I try to show I know how to carry it and if I lose I also try to be a good loser.

Best wishes to everyone and thank you!

Rafa

Translated by nou.amic for www.VamosBrigade.com

JediFed
01-25-2008, 07:51 PM
You have to be bummed this AO, Cmurray. :)

I saw the comments about 'revenge', etc.

Honestly, you guys have been great. You shouldn't get down on Rafa. He's got the best opportunity of his life.

yana
01-25-2008, 08:00 PM
Linda, thanks for the blog. It's the best ever posted by Rafa. Bitter-sweet :sad: :)

the_natural
01-25-2008, 09:19 PM
I still say Rafa needs a HC coach. Not as his primary coach, mind you, but as someone to just help him out a bit.

And talking to a sports psychologist might not be the worst thing for Rafa.

:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::wors hip::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:: worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worsh ip::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::w orship::worship:

Its so true!!!! And even if Tony Roche were coaching him, you still always should get another opinion from another Coach EVEN when your doing well but ESPECIALLY when your having alot of 6-0 losses and struggling on any surfaces in general. Toni Knows him inside out, the problem with that is when we know someone too well we can often overlook certain key problem areas cos we are just so used to seeing it we become immune to identifying it.

I think Rafa woulda won this tournament if he spend 50% of his training time on his serve and the other 50% training with Robert Landsorp haha.... Actually He would win wimbledon if he spent 2 weeks with robert landsorp cos hes such a fast learner

Tnn74
01-25-2008, 10:42 PM
Each year Rafa advances a round further at the AO... so next year, a Final for sure :) although this was a tough loss, I'd never seen him playing great like
that and lose :sad: but we have to celebrate the fact that he was into the final 4... we got the QF monkey off our backs... he will find his glory this year at Flushing Meadows as well, Vamos!

NaDALiTa
01-26-2008, 02:23 AM
Each year Rafa advances a round further at the AO... so next year, a Final for sure :) although this was a tough loss, I'd never seen him playing great like
that and lose :sad: but we have to celebrate the fact that he was into the final 4... we got the QF monkey off our backs... he will find his glory this year at Flushing Meadows as well, Vamos!

May tennis God (nahh not Roger :p )hear you,it would be so amazing if he could break the curse of the Uso!!He gets better every tournaments,this kid learns fast!!

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/7635/vamosrafavi7.gif (http://imageshack.us)

cmurray
01-26-2008, 02:26 AM
You have to be bummed this AO, Cmurray. :)

I saw the comments about 'revenge', etc.

Honestly, you guys have been great. You shouldn't get down on Rafa. He's got the best opportunity of his life.

I don't think i said anything about revenge? :confused: But yes, I'm bummed a little.

JediFed
01-26-2008, 06:47 PM
No, not you, some of the other folks, were talking about how it was sweet justice for both Rafa and Fed to go down in the same round.

He's got the best chance of his life from now to Wimbly to take what he's always wanted.

tangerine_dream
01-26-2008, 08:32 PM
This story disappoints me. When I read the headline I thought of Roger's words, "I've created a monster." :lol: But coupled with Rafa's classy comments after Tsonga beat him then I guess it all balances out.

Nadal's snub inspired Tsonga
By Chico Harlan
January 26, 2008 12:00am

Last Wimbledon, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga considered himself lucky and a little unworthy just to share a practice court with Rafael Nadal.

One day mid-tournament, when Tsonga found the opportunity to exchange some casual shots with the world No. 2, he jumped at the chance.

Nadal, at that moment, represented much of what Tsonga wanted for himself. Nadal had the money, the ranking, the championships.

Tsonga, for his career, had mostly plodded through a series of injuries and minuscule pay cheques. Already, he'd considered abandoning the game he'd played since age seven.

Others on tour knew him for his resemblance to a young Muhammad Ali. But even if Tsonga looked like the fighter, he never prompted opponents to feel a rising dread.

Tsonga, though, never expected disrespect from his practice partner. On the court that day, Tsonga found Nadal, often regarded as agreeable, to be the exact opposite.

He never spoke, and treated Tsonga more like a wall for rebounds than a fellow player.

Maybe, Tsonga thought, top players always practice with such myopic focus. But the Frenchman still found the approach "disappointing", and unbecoming of a champion.

"He was rather cold," Tsonga later said in French.

What's happened since, in far less than a year, has rocked the hierarchy of men's tennis.

Tsonga, thanks to his possessed demolition of six straight opponents, Nadal included, at Melbourne Park, now belongs in any conversation about legitimate challengers to Roger Federer's throne.

Commentators believe the Australian Open has turned into the showcase for the newest top-10 talent.

Having clinched a spot in today's men's final, Tsonga now has the chance to punctuate his amazing emergence with a celebration.

He can become the first unseeded player to win this event since 1976.

He can earn the winner's $1.37 million pay cheque, more than he's earned all career.

He can set his own example about how to act as a champion.

Thursday night, in the semis against Nadal, Tsonga played one of the most immaculate matches in history, leaving fans at Rod Laver Stadium in delirium and both contestants in shock.

Tsonga called the performance "unbelievable". Everything was perfect.

"My backhand," he said. "My forehand. My volley. My dropshot. Everything. I was moving on the court like I never move. Everything was perfect."

Nadal struggled to digest what happened; tennis of that calibre, he knew, doesn't just rise from nowhere.

Nadal had lost in straight sets. He'd been ripped to ribbons in less than two hours - and what's more, he'd played well, he believed.

"What I can say?" Nadal wondered. "Nothing bad about his game. I have to find something. I gonna think all night."

Eventually, in trying to describe what he'd just witnessed, he arrived at the consensus word: "Unbelievable."

Until Tsonga toppled Nadal, causing the sensation to over-boil, people still knew Tsonga more for who he resembled than for what made him unique.

Read the rest of the article here. (http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23108938-5012689,00.html)
-------------------------

To add insult to injury, Rafa had airport problems (http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23109634-5001023,00.html).

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/7635/vamosrafavi7.gif (http://imageshack.us)
I just love this smiley!

hra87
01-26-2008, 08:32 PM
No, not you, some of the other folks, were talking about how it was sweet justice for both Rafa and Fed to go down in the same round.

He's got the best chance of his life from now to Wimbly to take what he's always wanted.

He's blown a lot of his best chances (wimbledon final + USO, AO this year)...I'm not sure this is his best...but still an ok shot.

Castafiore
01-26-2008, 08:58 PM
That "snub" article seems like a rather far-fetched one to me, Tangy.
Not saying that it's not true necessarily but it's a weird article given what we normally hear and read about Rafa.
How would Rafa communicate with Tsonga anyway? Tsonga's English is limited as well.

It's hardly worth the article but I guess that they need to build up their new boy and the word "snub" looks good in a title.

Metis
01-26-2008, 09:01 PM
This story disappoints me. When I read the headline I thought of Roger's words, "I've created a monster." :lol: But coupled with Rafa's classy comments after Tsonga beat him then I guess it all balances out.

A while ago someone on MTF was posting photos and descriptions of his visit to RG or Wimbledon (I think it was last year). I remember he mentioned watching a practice session with Nadal and some other top player and he was surprised that the players did not exchange one word; one would think that they were not on friendly terms.

Maybe this is normal with Nadal and players he doesn't know well. He just hits with them and everyone goes about their business without any other interaction. Who knows? :shrug:

l_mac
01-26-2008, 09:03 PM
That "snub" article seems like a rather far-fetched one to me, Tangy.
Not saying that it's not true necessarily but it's a weird article.
How would Rafa communicate with Tsonga? Tsonga's English is limited as well.

It's hardly worth the article but I guess that they need to build up their new boy and the word "snub" looks good in a title.

I remember the pics of them practising together at Queens. Maybe Tsonga did feel snubbed and that's why he made the comments he did after their USO match :shrug:

I don't think Rafa has very good relationships with many players who don't speak Spanish, (apart from the obvious one :lol:) but I've read enough articles and quotes from them (Spanish players)to still believe that Rafa's "balance" tips heavily on the "good guy" side.

^^ Can't find a way to say what i want and still have it make grammatically correct :mad:

l_mac
01-26-2008, 09:04 PM
A while ago someone on MTF was posting photos and descriptions of his visit to RG or Wimbledon (I think it was last year). I remember he mentioned watching a practice session with Nadal and some other top player and he was surprised that the players did not exchange one word; one would think that they were not on friendly terms.

Maybe this is normal with Nadal and players he doesn't know well. He just hits with them and everyone goes about their business without any other interaction. Who knows? :shrug:

I think a lot of it will have to do with Rafa's English "skills." He's improved a lot when he talking after his matches, but I would imagine his conversational English is still appalling.

Metis
01-26-2008, 09:09 PM
What did Tsonga say after the USOpen match?

l_mac
01-26-2008, 09:10 PM
What did Tsonga say after the USOpen match?

That he thought Rafa's game was crap (or words to that effect)

edit, not really I'll try and find the quote.

Metis
01-26-2008, 09:13 PM
:tape: I missed that. I actually watched that match live in NYC (or rather the 2 last sets) and Tsonga was pretty much demolished. He returned the favor at the AO though :tape:.

l_mac
01-26-2008, 09:16 PM
Found, translated by the very lovely Moondancer at vb. Hope she doesn't mind me posting it here :)

Q: Today, thereís a player of your generation who is the world number two. Whatís your viewpoint on Nadal since you've known him from a younger age?
Tsonga: Well, he was always a force of nature even when he was very small, he could never sit still when he was very small either. He played like he does now even if he was physically less imposing. Iíd like to say: itís normal, heís a machine.

Q: For you, there was no such transformation or a physical explosion?
Tsonga: no, no no. There was a moment when I was growing but like with all of us, thatís about it. He was always a fighter and tenacious.

Q: Is he somebody you know well, somebody you have discussed with?
Tsonga: No, we donít discuss much. Letís say that he is not the type of player who interests me. He does not make me dream, laugh or cry. He does nothing for me. Heís a machine. Federer does a bit more for me when talking about the game.

Q: But do you think that Federer gives a lot on court when talking about attitude?
Tsonga: Not really, no.

Q : Is Nadal not a bit more generous in that department ? Kids adore him.
Tsonga: Thatís because itís a style. He has found a way to impose his style. Itís not a problem as far as that is concerned. But when talking about the personality of a player...(silence). People like him a lot because heís one of very best.

Q : But, is there a lesson to be learned from his success ?
Tsonga: Of course, of course. Heís a winner and for example, I work on the aspect of having not as many lapses of concentration.

http://www.grandchelem.net/mon_weblog/2007/09/tsonga-nadal-es.html?cid=81554717#comment-81554717

Sounds from that that they didn't get on during juniors either, so maybe they just don't like each other. That article tangy posted made it ound like Tsonga was excited just to be breathing he same air as Rafa, and left disappointed :rolleyes:

Sunset of Age
01-27-2008, 12:49 AM

Rafa's English is still very limited, and Jo-Wilfried's is as well. I don't think one should make any conclusions about the way they get along with each other based on this particular article. :shrug:

NaDALiTa
01-27-2008, 02:28 AM
I don't know what Tsonga expected of his practice with Rafa,maybe a big hug or so...as said Marat Safin "tennis is business"they don't play tennis to make friends.Rafa is very professional and as he often say his friends are outside tennis but i guess the language bareer must be involved in the apparent coldness of Rafa!

From what i've seen in Lyon Tsonga is quite cold too,he didn't say hello,refused to sign for the kids and left very quickly after the practice so i'm not sure he can give lessons to anyone!

FedFan_2007
01-27-2008, 02:52 AM
I don't know what Tsonga expected of his practice with Rafa,maybe a big hug or so...as said Marat Safin "tennis is business"they don't play tennis to make friends.Rafa is very professional and as he often say his friends are outside tennis but i guess the language bareer must be involved in the apparent coldness of Rafa!

From what i've seen in Lyon Tsonga is quite cold too,he didn't say hello,refused to sign for the kids and left very quickly after the practice so i'm not sure he can give lessons to anyone!

That's not true! Moya and Pics are 2 of his best buddies!

the_natural
01-27-2008, 08:59 PM
Tsonga is has got the typical french arrogance, sorry but its true, when i say french arrogance I mean in the tennis world cos i have some great french friends whom are very polite and lovely. Mathieu is the same, its the arrogance that is brought on by D!ckheads like Forget "We dont need construction workers winning the FO"!? Whats that about?? The french HATE rafa, which is why Gasguet is quite puzzling to me because he seems to get along with rafa.

Im sure that those old past-there-prime wanna be try hard french players try to fan the fires of hatred as much as possible too. You know i felt like Simon didnt like Rafa much either, the general consensus from those arrogant pricks is "hes not such a great player he s just consistent I can beat him my game is better".

Oh and im sure none of them have forgotten that Grosjean match at the 05 French where the crowd showed how unclassy they are. Can also Add that f@#$ up in 06 or 07 when the dumbass translator mixed up what rafa said at the Trophy presentation when rafa said that Federer was good enough to beat anyone on any surface and was tough anywhere even on clay, but the translator said "but not good enough to beat me".

Just to summarise, the french players in general dont seem to think Rafa deserves to be where he is especially since he doesnt "make art" he just wins (Gasguet also put that into perspective, the french and italians make beautiful art on the court but the south americans and spaniards grind etc etc).

Also if rafa was cold: It was Queens club and whats queens club for?? The one crown he always wanted, Wimbledon, There was this loser i used to work with, he talked shit about rafas attitude because rafa stared him down when they were at the medibank 07, he (rafa) was practicing, looked up and saw this guy and had this intense look of a fighter on his face and just stared that other loser down. Rafa is INTENSE in practice as if hes playing, And one cant expect he'd ever be more intense than in prep for Wimbledon

NaDALiTa
01-27-2008, 10:27 PM
That's not true! Moya and Pics are 2 of his best buddies!

Sorry i didn't mean all his friends were outside tennis, i forgot "most of" :) A big part of his friends have nothing to do with tennis though!

NaDALiTa
01-27-2008, 10:35 PM
Tsonga is has got the typical french arrogance, sorry but its true, when i say french arrogance I mean in the tennis world cos i have some great french friends whom are very polite and lovely. Mathieu is the same, its the arrogance that is brought on by D!ckheads like Forget "We dont need construction workers winning the FO"!? Whats that about?? The french HATE rafa, which is why Gasguet is quite puzzling to me because he seems to get along with rafa.

Im sure that those old past-there-prime wanna be try hard french players try to fan the fires of hatred as much as possible too. You know i felt like Simon didnt like Rafa much either, the general consensus from those arrogant pricks is "hes not such a great player he s just consistent I can beat him my game is better".

Oh and im sure none of them have forgotten that Grosjean match at the 05 French where the crowd showed how unclassy they are. Can also Add that f@#$ up in 06 or 07 when the dumbass translator mixed up what rafa said at the Trophy presentation when rafa said that Federer was good enough to beat anyone on any surface and was tough anywhere even on clay, but the translator said "but not good enough to beat me".

Just to summarise, the french players in general dont seem to think Rafa deserves to be where he is especially since he doesnt "make art" he just wins (Gasguet also put that into perspective, the french and italians make beautiful art on the court but the south americans and spaniards grind etc etc).

Also if rafa was cold: It was Queens club and whats queens club for?? The one crown he always wanted, Wimbledon, There was this loser i used to work with, he talked shit about rafas attitude because rafa stared him down when they were at the medibank 07, he (rafa) was practicing, looked up and saw this guy and had this intense look of a fighter on his face and just stared that other loser down. Rafa is INTENSE in practice as if hes playing, And one cant expect he'd ever be more intense than in prep for Wimbledon

:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::wors hip: this is exactly what i think about the french tennis players.Forget made a good job at making them b*tches,RG period is awful because he's the commentator...i let you imagine Forget making comments on Rafa's matches :rolleyes: i always turn the sound off!

There's only French to support those pricks :( :( :(

Foxy
01-28-2008, 11:57 AM
The thing that pissed me off was the fact that Tsonga played the best match of his career against Rafa this Thursday. And probably would have lost in straights if he had played the way he played against Djokovic at the final. Tons of ridiculous mistakes from the forehand side and no crazy, lucky dropshots. I think also he will not beat Rafa again on any surface.