2008 Australian Open. Sunscreen required, 4th round tickets optional... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

2008 Australian Open. Sunscreen required, 4th round tickets optional...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Fee
01-03-2008, 06:22 PM
Yeah, I know we usually have a Kooyong/Bong title, but we can do that next week. This week, Andy is in Hawaii (Kona region), and he needs sunscreen while he works out and gets tuned up. Hopefully, he's using the right products and applying it liberally before he gets dressed. When we say we want him to wear more colors, we don't mean a lobster red skintone.

Deboogle!.
01-03-2008, 06:23 PM
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Tytta!.
01-03-2008, 06:29 PM
I'm speechless.

Fumus
01-03-2008, 07:56 PM
Trying not to start off wrong in Kooyong.

Not many years left near your peak Andy! 2008 will be a telling year. They sped up the court surfaces that Aussie too, it should play more like Decoturf. Lets go Andy in Melbourne!

partygirl
01-03-2008, 07:59 PM
:bowdown:Wear it!!:armed:

Deboogle!.
01-03-2008, 08:20 PM
Trying not to start off wrong in Kooyong.

Not many years left near your peak Andy! 2008 will be a telling year. They sped up the court surfaces that Aussie too, it should play more like Decoturf. Lets go Andy in Melbourne!Actually the people who are playing on it are saying it's not actually faster, just lower-bouncing and is more consistent throughout weather conditions. Mardy and some others are complaining it's slow, actually.

tennis lover
01-03-2008, 09:08 PM
:bounce:

GollyLou
01-03-2008, 09:34 PM
Actually the people who are playing on it are saying it's not actually faster, just lower-bouncing and is more consistent throughout weather conditions. Mardy and some others are complaining it's slow, actually.

... so it's gonna play like wimbledon then. i wish they would speed some surfaces up again. there isn#t any variety anymore. :sad:

Fee
01-03-2008, 09:36 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/316E5ZNDGHL._SS500_.jpg

Deboogle!.
01-03-2008, 09:38 PM
... so it's gonna play like wimbledon then. i wish they would speed some surfaces up again. there isn#t any variety anymore. :sad:Similarly I guess. Maybe the AO surface will speed up a bit after people practice on it and some of the roughness from the new surface goes away.... But it shouldn't be an injury monster like Rebound Ace at least

Fee LOL

Tytta!.
01-03-2008, 09:50 PM
http://www.goldcoastoceanfest.co.uk/images/shop/products/SC/IT04-Sunblock-Gel-100&50m53.jpg

Kate87
01-03-2008, 10:01 PM
:bounce:
looks like Jo is excited;)

by the way great title:yeah:

otowngurl86apa
01-03-2008, 11:42 PM
:lol: loving the thread title!

snaillyyy
01-04-2008, 01:11 AM
:lol: Love this :D and :woohoo: for the new season.

acoffeygirl
01-04-2008, 01:29 AM
Wow..time for tennis again, is it?

Fee
01-04-2008, 03:02 AM
http://www.goldcoastoceanfest.co.uk/images/shop/products/SC/IT04-Sunblock-Gel-100&50m53.jpg

I need to see the ingredients for this brand before I can recommend it.

;)

knight_ley
01-04-2008, 04:01 AM
Tennis soon! :woohoo:

Jade Fox
01-04-2008, 10:14 AM
Hmmm, sunscreen?

How about this one?

http://www.shoptraveldoctor.com/catalog/images/sunscreen_blockup.jpg

Kate87
01-04-2008, 04:16 PM
http://www.myextralife.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/duck-for-el.gif

tennis lover
01-04-2008, 04:35 PM
looks like Jo is excited;)
maaaaaaaaaybe! :p just the thought of tennis gives me something to look forward to during my stupid exams! ;)

Kate87
01-04-2008, 05:30 PM
same here:o
3exams left - two of them during the first week of the AO:sobbing:

Fumus
01-04-2008, 05:55 PM
Actually the people who are playing on it are saying it's not actually faster, just lower-bouncing and is more consistent throughout weather conditions. Mardy and some others are complaining it's slow, actually.

Here's what Andy is going to say about the courts...because he never cares:

"It has lines, a net, and everything!"

MissFairy
01-04-2008, 06:17 PM
Wow, it's like you're reading his mind :lol: Andy is such a goof.

I'm glad he doesn't waste time whining over court speeds, i find it tiresome d:

Deboogle!.
01-04-2008, 06:21 PM
:yeah:

Jade Fox
01-04-2008, 06:50 PM
Here's what Andy is going to say about the courts...because he never cares:

"It has lines, a net, and everything!"

I don't know. I think he might like the color, since, you know, he's all about color.;):p

tennis lover
01-05-2008, 07:10 PM
same here:o
3exams left - two of them during the first week of the AO:sobbing:
aww, mine finish on Tuesday luckily and I don't start classes until the first weds of the AO so by then I should be fully rested and nocturnal! :banana: Good luck with yours! :hug:

Kate87
01-05-2008, 07:19 PM
aww, mine finish on Tuesday luckily and I don't start classes until the first weds of the AO so by then I should be fully rested and nocturnal! :banana: Good luck with yours! :hug:
Lucky Jo:)

Same to you:D

Deboogle!.
01-05-2008, 07:55 PM
Even Marat is already in Melbourne. Good job Andy :yeah:

Kate87
01-05-2008, 08:02 PM
He isn't there?:o

New year same old habits:lol:

PinkFeatherBoa
01-05-2008, 08:06 PM
Tennis is here? *wakes up and starts paying attention*

Andy isn't in Melbourne yet? Psh, why did I make that a question, I estupido no? Of course he isn't. ;)

disclaimer: i need to ask fewer questions, it seems!

MissFairy
01-05-2008, 08:11 PM
Even Marat is already in Melbourne. Good job Andy :yeah:
I love Marat and everything, but that is just embarrassing. I know tennis towels more dedicated to the tour than Safin.

Fee
01-05-2008, 10:38 PM
Hmmm, sunscreen?

How about this one?

http://www.shoptraveldoctor.com/catalog/images/sunscreen_blockup.jpg

Sadly, although Fruit of the Earth makes some of my favorite body lotions, they make horrible sunscreens and no one should use them (unless they have recently changed their formulas and added the proper ingredients).

I've been without power since Friday morning (at a cafe right now), so I haven't spoken to my Hawaiian boy. Not sure who may or may not have left the island on Friday (but he definitely should have if he wants to start preparing for Kooyong).

Deboogle!.
01-05-2008, 10:44 PM
eek :eek: be safe, fee!

i've never used that brand but why are the ingredients bad? that tube says UVA/UVB protection?

Fee
01-06-2008, 07:32 AM
Doesn't matter what the tube says, it's what the ingredient list on the back says. Last time I looked at FoE Sunscreen, it did not contain titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, or avobenzone in the active ingredients.

I have power back! And thankfully, as bad as it was in So Cal, it seems you got a little bit less of a smackdown than we did, which is good. The next two storms are supposed to be much wimpier, then I think we get a day or two of sunshine. Gas heating is a wonderful thing!

Raina
01-06-2008, 02:25 PM
so where is Andy now?? :(

Deboogle!.
01-06-2008, 04:58 PM
Doesn't matter what the tube says, it's what the ingredient list on the back says. Last time I looked at FoE Sunscreen, it did not contain titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, or avobenzone in the active ingredients.

I have power back! And thankfully, as bad as it was in So Cal, it seems you got a little bit less of a smackdown than we did, which is good. The next two storms are supposed to be much wimpier, then I think we get a day or two of sunshine. Gas heating is a wonderful thing!Gotcha ;)

Yeah it wasn't nearly as bad here as they were saying, I mean it rained two nights in a row heavily but not at all yesterday and not at all right now. So that's good I guess for the burn areas. Glad you have your power back!

Raina, your guess is as good as ours :sobbing:

snaillyyy
01-06-2008, 05:46 PM
If it really happened :lol:
At last count, Roger Federer, Marat Safin, Ivan Ljubicic, Fernando Gonzalez and the Williams women had landed
in Melbourne. Maria Sharapova is believed to be arriving today and her good friend (but absolutely not boyfriend) Andy Roddick was expected last night.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/tennis/stars-focus-wavers-superstitiously-beyond-thin-white-line/2008/01/06/1199554486326.html

Deboogle!.
01-06-2008, 05:52 PM
I'll believe it when I see a photo of him on the court :o

GollyLou
01-06-2008, 06:31 PM
I'll believe it when I see a photo of him on the court :o

Or even off the court. :o And Andy, poker on Friday? :o

kaylee
01-06-2008, 06:48 PM
sigh it seems nothing changes........

snaillyyy
01-06-2008, 08:23 PM
It"s Andy we are talking about..nothing ever will :awww:

Fumus
01-07-2008, 03:18 PM
AR.com says Andy should have arrived in Australia this past weekend. Play starts in just 2 days at Kooyong, so I hope he's there...since it will probably take a day or so to get over the jetlag. Ok, just don't get injured Andy...

Deboogle!.
01-07-2008, 04:02 PM
a DAY to get over that kind of jetlag? I doubt that!!

Anyway, Roger and Haas have pulled out of Kooyong, Davydenko is one of the replacements.

Fee, it might be soon time for the bong title ;)

kaylee
01-07-2008, 04:03 PM
hahaha it has taken me 2 days to get over mine and I only went to the UK. well since Roger just pulled out this makes life a little easier. Having said that hmmm I guess a threepeat is a little beyond reach?

Tytta!.
01-07-2008, 04:05 PM
It'd be his chance to beat Roger. :sad: ;)

kaylee
01-07-2008, 05:51 PM
He beat him last year but I guess he won't be able to now.

Fumus
01-07-2008, 05:56 PM
a DAY to get over that kind of jetlag? I doubt that!!

Anyway, Roger and Haas have pulled out of Kooyong, Davydenko is one of the replacements.

Fee, it might be soon time for the bong title ;)

Yea, Deb you think it takes 2 or 3 days to get over the Jet Lag?

Some other choices...
Sportin' a thong in Kooyong.
Not startin' off wrong in Kooyong.
The King Kong of Kooyong.
Singing happy songs in Kooyong.
Playing pong in Kooyong.
Can't we all get along in Kooyong.

Deboogle!.
01-07-2008, 06:54 PM
Yea, Deb you think it takes 2 or 3 days to get over the Jet Lag?yes, yes I do, when the time difference is that big.

Some other choices...
Sportin' a thong in Kooyong.
Not startin' off wrong in Kooyong.
The King Kong of Kooyong.
Singing happy songs in Kooyong.
Playing pong in Kooyong.
Can't we all get along in Kooyong.:spit:

Fee
01-07-2008, 07:37 PM
Seems young Andrew was pounding some serves on Thursday in Hawaii and he might just have broken an old friend's racquet with one of them (which puts the old friend in a bit of a bind because he uses an antique that Prince doesn't make anymore and needs to hang on to each and every one of them).

tennis lover
01-07-2008, 08:00 PM
Seems young Andrew was pounding some serves on Thursday in Hawaii and he might just have broken an old friend's racquet with one of them (which puts the old friend in a bit of a bind because he uses an antique that Prince doesn't make anymore and needs to hang on to each and every one of them).
:o naughty Andrew! and poor old friend. :hug: at least we know he's serving well though! ;)

when is the press conference? I can't wait for the pics, they're always fun! although it won't be the same without Roger and Andy gazing lovingly into each other's eyes!

Deboogle!.
01-07-2008, 08:53 PM
That should be tomorrow (tuesday Australia, nighttime US) when the draw is done, I imagine. but you are right :awww:

Fee
01-08-2008, 12:33 AM
Andy left Hawaii yesterday (Sunday). He had at least four days of pretty good hitting. :)

Deboogle!.
01-08-2008, 12:36 AM
Not til SUNDAY?:o

Whatever.

partygirl
01-08-2008, 12:43 AM
sick.

snaillyyy
01-08-2008, 12:43 AM
Why am I not at all surprised

Deboogle!.
01-08-2008, 12:47 AM
Well hopefully he made it there in time for today's press conference and maybe he'll get a hit on the BRAND NEW SURFACE HE'S NEVER SEEN BEFORE before he has to try to play a match against a good player :tape:

partygirl
01-08-2008, 12:55 AM
:lol:

He is stupid funny.

Deboogle!.
01-08-2008, 12:57 AM
Speaking of stupid, guess who I saw smoking in the PP garage today :speakles:

snaillyyy
01-08-2008, 12:57 AM
Well hopefully he made it there in time for today's press conference and maybe he'll get a hit on the BRAND NEW SURFACE HE'S NEVER SEEN BEFORE before he has to try to play a match against a good player :tape:
Let's not hope for miracles please ;)

partygirl
01-08-2008, 12:59 AM
Speaking of stupid, guess who I saw smoking in the PP garage today :speakles::spit::haha:

Deboogle!.
01-08-2008, 01:03 AM
I mean yeah, smoke right where your tenants are coming and going. That's brilliant :D

Deboogle!.
01-08-2008, 01:05 AM
Oh and as for that other stupid guy, he'll play Ljubicic in the 2nd match on Wednesday after an 11am local start (11am Melbourne time is 7pm Eastern US)

partygirl
01-08-2008, 01:06 AM
I mean yeah, smoke right where your tenants are coming and going. That's brilliant :D
Yeah, he don't care.:p

I think he wants to get fired or something...they all seem to end up hating their jobs:ignore::(

Deboogle!.
01-08-2008, 01:07 AM
Well if they get fucked over the same way we do, you can't blame them :lol:

Fee
01-08-2008, 01:14 AM
I just ran a quick search, if he left Sunday afternoon, he arrived (will arrive?) in Melbourne on Tuesday morning.

partygirl
01-08-2008, 01:16 AM
:p*please excuse our hijacking kooyong*:p

Well if they get fucked over the same way we do, you can't blame them :lol:
:hysteric: I KNOW!!
I have to relocate in June:sad: because of railroading & gouging:ras:

Deboogle!.
01-08-2008, 01:20 AM
I just ran a quick search, if he left Sunday afternoon, he arrived (will arrive?) in Melbourne on Tuesday morning.I think that's later than he usually arrives. I don't remember questioning if he'd even make it in time for the press conference before - he's always been there. I just don't get him at all. It's after 1pm in Melbourne now, the media session was at 11am according to the event's website.

edit: looked at last year's thread and there were pics of Andy practicing at Melbourne Park on Sunday before Kooyong last year. Nice way to progress, Andy :yeah:
:p*please excuse our hijacking kooyong*:p

:hysteric: I KNOW!!
I have to relocate in June:sad: because of railroading & gouging:ras::hug: I probably will follow you in July.....

partygirl
01-08-2008, 01:27 AM
I don't remember questioning if he'd even make it in time for the press conference before - he's always been there. I just don't get him at all. It's after 1pm in Melbourne now, the media session was at 11am according to the event's websire.
He has a new reason to be late, oh joy.
With a lady on his arm and no Roger to play with...its just no fun.

Dose he not care about his press conference ranking but at all:shrug:
Davis cup is going to his head.:devil:

:hug: I probably will follow you in July.....I choose to see it as an opportunity....a difficult one:rolleyes::hug:

snaillyyy
01-08-2008, 01:33 AM
Maybe he is having a hard time dealing with the fact that he can't make googoo eyes at Roger during the press conference.

partygirl
01-08-2008, 01:35 AM
I certainly am, damn it.

Deboogle!.
01-08-2008, 01:47 AM
Well at least we know he made it there on time today :p http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/170571.html

wearing something red. *passes out*

DAVYDENKO'S EYES IN THE THIRD PIC HAHAHAHA

snaillyyy
01-08-2008, 02:07 AM
I am still in shock over that tiny glimpse of color, and it is RED! *picks self off the floor for a second time*

Fee
01-08-2008, 02:22 AM
I love that shirt.

I LOVE THAT SHIRT!

sammy01
01-08-2008, 02:22 AM
wow roddick looks hot in those pics, he had lost some of his sexiness last year i felt, but if hes gonna look like that then i'll look forward to '08

tangerine_dream
01-08-2008, 02:24 AM
Great. Instead of Roger making goo-goo eyes at Andy we get Donkey eyes. Kooyong already sucks. :ras:

Dose he not care about his press conference ranking but at all :shrug:
Andy will have a chance to redeem himself in the press room again soon when he crashes out to whoever at AO and brings down the house.

Deboogle!.
01-08-2008, 02:24 AM
I love that shirt.

I LOVE THAT SHIRT!I didn't quite get that, please tell us how you really feel. Anyway, you know he'll be wearing white tomorrow no worries :p

wow look, they're really changing it up this year :rolls:

tangerine_dream
01-08-2008, 02:28 AM
Andy and Dahveeed are suddenly best buds over there by themselves in the corner? :lol:

Everybody's giving Marat his space. Did he not bathe?

Nobody has their arm around unloveable Donkey. :awww:

Fee
01-08-2008, 02:35 AM
Is that really Baghdatis in that photo? I didnt recognize him at all.

snaillyyy
01-08-2008, 02:36 AM
Me either Fee. I was like..who is that...he looks really young.

Deboogle!.
01-08-2008, 02:39 AM
Yep, it's him, he looks so different with shorter hair and a clean-shaved face:eek:

edit: here's a bit bigger one to see

edit 2: oh andy.....:o :lol:
----------------------------------------------

Roddick sheds no tears for ailing tennis number one Federer

4 minutes ago

Andy Roddick backed world number one Roger Federer to mount a strong defence of his Australian Open crown despite pulling out of this week's Kooyong Classic with a stomach virus.

The American, who beat Federer in the final of the eight-man event last year, said the Swiss would recover for the year's opening Grand Slam, which starts on January 14.

"None of us are worried about his preparation for the Open," Roddick joked, drawing laughs at his press conference. "I'll sleep OK tonight."

He added: "It's impossible for me to say how he might go, I don't know how he feels.

"But Kooyong seems to be good preparation for Roger. This (illness) won't help, but if anyone can play his way into form, that would be Roger."

Word from the Federer camp suggested the 12-time Grand Slam winner was resting under doctor's orders as valuable training time for the Open slips away.

Roddick meanwhile begins his campaign at the Kooyong event when he faces Croatian Ivan Ljubicic on Wednesday.

sammy01
01-08-2008, 02:54 AM
has nalbandian got his hand on the railing or andys ass?

Fee
01-08-2008, 03:31 AM
Well bless Andy. He spends at least four days hitting in Hawaii and he's still pretty pale. He's been wearing his sunscreen. I'm verklempt... talk amongst yourselves...

Deboogle!.
01-08-2008, 03:46 AM
Sorry guys, not gonna take the time to fix the formatting :sobbing: based on the draw as the guy says, Andy would play either Marat or Murray next.
=============================
AAMI CLASSIC PRESS CONFERENCE.
8 JANUARY 2008 - KOOYONG LAWN TENNIS CLUB

JASON DUNSTALL: Ladies and gentlemen, on behalf of Colin Stubs
Enterprises I welcome one and all to Kooyong today to meet the
players for the 2008 AAMI Classic.
Once again, a world class field has been assembled for this
year's Classic and we welcome them to the stage now.
Nikolai Davydenko - eventually. It will happen. Andy Roddick,
Fernando Gonzales, Andy Murray, David Nalbandian, Ivan Ljubicic
and Marat Safin.

IVAN LJUBICIC: Coming.

JASON DUNSTALL: Of course, there's one chair empty, ladies and
gentlemen. Unfortunately, Roger Federer was a late withdrawal
due to a virus, but it is with great pleasure, now, we are able
to introduce a replacement gentleman who has just accepted to
take part in this year's Classic; a man who was only two years
ago a finalist at the Australian Open. Will you please welcome
Marcos Baghdatis. Welcome to the players. (Applause).
There are a few special mentions we need to make before we get
into the questions. We welcome the Executive General Manager of
AAMI, Mr Anthony Durakovic; also the Executive Manager of AAMI
Sponsorship, John Bennetts; and also from AAMI Sue Jellie and
Tricia Kelly. We welcome from Tennis Australia the CEO, Steve
Wood, and also the Director of Marketing, Digby Nancarrow.
It's with special pleasure we welcome two new sponsors:
Commander, and also to Rolex, the official timekeepers.
We welcome representatives from support sponsors, Mercedes,
Schweppes, Peter Rowland Catering, Diadora, Ferngrove Wilson,
Lanson, and also Vittoria. And, last but not least, our media
partners, the Seven Network, 3AW, The Age, and IEC in Sport.
At this point in time I would welcome to the microphone the
Executive General Manager of AAMI, Mr Anthony Durakovic.
ANTHONY DURAKOVIC: Thanks, Jason. Ian Hill, President of
Kooyong Lawn Tennis Club, Colin Stubs, players, and members of
the media, AAMI is delighted to be able to sponsor the AAMI
Classic and I would like to extend a warm welcome to all of the
players here today who make this one of the most enjoyable and
relaxed - certainly from the spectators' perspective - events on
the Australian tennis calendar.
The quality of the players participating is testament to the
event that you, Ian and Colin present at this wonderful venue,
and may I take this opportunity to wish you, Ian, and your
committee, and Colin and your team, all the very best over the
coming four days.
I would like to also extend AAMI's congratulations on this the
20th anniversary of the event that has been held here at Kooyong
since its inception in 1988. All of those who have been involved
over the past 20 years should be very proud of what has been
achieved over that period of time, and in particular Kooyong's
Joe Devereux, who was the driving force to have such an event
held here at Kooyong, which to many is the traditional home of
Australian tennis.
To the players, once again, welcome back to Kooyong, and on
behalf of AAMI may I wish you all the very best, not only for
this week but, of course, in your endeavours over the coming
fortnight at the Australian Open. Thank you.
(Applause).

JASON DUNSTALL: Thank you, Anthony. Now, an opportunity to hear
from our host, Mr Colin Stubs, who will announce the draw for the
classic.

COLIN STUBS: Thanks, Jason. Good morning. I have to say it has
been a pretty interesting 24 hours - probably one of the most
interesting over my 20 or 30 years in the game.
Anyway, naturally we are disappointed that Roger and Tommy are
not with us. They have served this event very well over the last
number of years. We wish them speedy recovery. The fact that
they are not here actually gives us an opportunity to introduce
two new faces to the event: Nikolai and Marcos. Thank you very
much for taking up the commitment at very late notice.
It's my job, really, to talk about the draw, and the schedule for
tomorrow.
The draw is as follows: Nikolai Davydenko is playing Marcos
Baghdatis; Dave Nalbandian is playing Fernando Gonzalez, Andy
Murray v. Marat Safin; Ivan Ljubicic v. Andy Roddick.
The schedule for tomorrow is Davydenko v. Baghdatis at 11 a.m.,
followed by Roddick v. Ljubicic, followed by Gonzales and
Nalbandian; and the last match of the day, Murray v. Safin.
Thank you.
(Applause)

JASON DUNSTALL: All right. Now we have an opportunity to hear
from the players. I think there are a couple of hand-helds
there, guys, so just grab them when the questions come your way.
I would start with Marat, and also Fernando, who I believe have
had the opportunity to have a hit down at Melbourne Park on the
new blue Plexicushion surface. I guess we would love to get your
thoughts on the surface, how you found it, and what you think the
player feedback is going to be - either Marat or Fernando?

MARAT SAFIN: I thinks it's a little bit different because we
used to play on green, so it's kind of - the first impression
was, was a little bit not normal. But you can get used to it. A
couple of days you can get used to it. But it's still a little
bit - it's better, I think, with the green, in my opinion.

JASON DUNSTALL: Fernando, what about you?

FERNANDO GONZALEZ: It's a different colour, but it's just a
colour. The court is much slower than last year,:o but I think it's
better for my game and for the South Americans.

JASON DUNSTALL: David, you showed some sensational late season
form with back-to-back Masters titles in Madrid in Paris, wins
over the world's top three players. Are you confident of
carrying that form over to the Australian Open?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: Yes. I finish last year very good, playing
great tennis, great level, so I'm trying to play the game at the
top players. I feel fit again, healthy again, so I think it will
be a very good Australian Open this year.

JASON DUNSTALL: I think we should also wish you a happy birthday
back for the 1st of January. Did you have any time to celebrate?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: No.

JASON DUNSTALL: To Andy Murray, a winner at Doha, you lost a
five-setter to Rafael Nadal in the fourth round of last year's
Australian Open. You have got a new support team with you now:
how do you feel 12 months down the track?

ANDY MURRAY: Yes, I feel good. Obviously, I played well in Doha
last week. I started well last year, as well making the final
there, so it has been nice with my new team around me. I've got
a couple of fitness trainers here, a coach and a physio, so I'm
looking forward to it.

JASON DUNSTALL: You had a couple of mates there from Doha as
well - I'll start with you Ivan: you won Doha last year and you
made the semi-finals this year - a similar type of preparation:
how do you feel heading into the Australian Open?

IVAN LJUBICIC: I feel well. I had a few good matches. I'm
happy with the way I'm playing, I have no physical problems, and
that's very positive these days. So I'm feeling good and I hope
I can play well already this; and, of course, for Melbourne the
Flinders Park is going to be - I hope I'm going to reach the peak
of my form, but we'll see. Again, I'm feeling really good, so
we'll see what's going to happen.

JASON DUNSTALL: Great to hear. Nikolai, I believe you've got a
new manager - I believe it's Ronny Lietgeb, who used to look
after Thomas Muster, former world No. 1. What changes will that
bring to your game, if any?

NIKOLAI DAVYDENKO: You know, just starting season 2008, I don't
know. If you ask me at the end of the season, you know, I can
give some answer. But I try my best, you know, to make some
great result this year.

JASON DUNSTALL: Okay. We look forward to seeing you in action.
Andy Roddick, a part of the United States record 32nd Davis Cup
title, how do you compare the Davis Cup to Grand Slam titles?

ANDY RODDICK: Title; I'd love to be plural on that one,:sobbing: but I'm
not. It was great. I mean, it has been a seven-year process for
us to try to win, and the fact that my team mates are some of my
best friends as well made the celebration a lot of fun. But it
was great, and it was a dream of mine, and I'm happy to have
ended the year on a good note.

JASON DUNSTALL: Twelve months further into the relationship with
Jimmy Connors; has that been everything you expected it to be?

ANDY RODDICK: For sure. It's nice. There's only so many people
in the world who understand what it's like to go deep in a Grand
Slam, and he would definitely be one of those people. So it's
nice to have someone who can relate a little bit and who
obviously has done a lot more.

JASON DUNSTALL: Marcos, welcome to you. Great to you see. You
obviously have fond memories of the Australian Open a couple of
years ago where you made your first Grand Slam final.
It's your first time at Kooyong. Do you feel your preparation
this around has made you ready to produce that sort of form?

MARCOS BAGHDATIS: I prepared the season very well physically.
I don't play so well in Chennai last week, but I played good in
doubles so I had some matches on me. But I'm very happy here to
play some matches with the guys and have some fun here and just
get ready for the Open.

JASON DUNSTALL: We are looking forward a great week at this
point in time. We invite questions from the floor.
(Question in Spanish)

FERNANDO GONZALEZ: Do you mind if I - - -

JASON DUNSTALL: Absolutely not. We are all enjoying it.
(Answer in Spanish).

QUESTION: In English: Marat, tell us little bit about your
plans, your adventurous plans with climbing The Himalayas?

MARAT SAFIN: I already answered so many questions. Go on the
internet and check yourself. I just wish that everybody would
experience the same thing, and I think it was a great experience.
I took some time off and it was great. You should go.

QUESTION: Andy Roddick, can I ask you a question? With Roger's
withdrawal, how much of a setback do you think that will be for
his chances to win the Australia Open?

ANDY RODDICK: I can safely say none of us up here are worried
about Roger's preparations for the Australian Open. I don't
think we are worried for him. I think I'll sleep okay tonight.

QUESTION: Do you think it will hinder his preparation? How much
of a dent will it make in his preparation?

ANDY RODDICK: I don't know. I don't know how he feels. It's
impossible for me to say, and obviously I think having won it,
this is a good preparation for it. It seems to be a good formula
for him to come here and play and go beat up on the rest of us
next week. But it's certainly not going to help, but if there's
anybody who can probably take care of himself and play his way
into form, it's probably Roger. Thank you.

JASON DUNSTALL: Are there any other questions?

QUESTION: Andy Roddick, can I just ask you please, there have
been the changes to the surface here, but for the Open how do you
feel about that perhaps being tilted towards - to the local
players? Do you think that's fair, or what are your feelings on
that?

ANDY RODDICK: Is it tilted towards the local players?

QUESTION: Well, that's what we believe the case to be.

ANDY RODDICK: I don't know if that's the case at all. Lleyton
has probably had some of his best results on faster surfaces. I
think that's probably what you are getting at. But, you know,
it's what it is. Everybody is going to play on the same surface
and, as far as having your tournament favour your players, I
think that's probably the way it should be. You know, I'm sure
if any player up here, if they are playing a Slam in their
country - you know, for my sake I would be upset if the US Open
was really, really slow. You know, it has always favoured the
Americans, and kind of that's what it is. Lleyton is always
going to be a great story line here if he does well, so I think
that's natural.

QUESTION: Marat, can I ask a question? Before, you started
playing here a couple of times Australian Open cold, without
playing any tennis in the lead-up. What was it like then and
what were the sort of challenges of not playing any tennis before
you go into an Australian?

MARAT SAFIN: Well, when was that? I don't remember?

QUESTION: A few years ago, I mean a couple of years a Hopman
Cup, I think it was, a couple of years, when you just came down
here and practised and played without any tournaments.
MARAT SAFIN: No, I always played something before - Hopman Cup
or Sydney or Kooyong, so I don't think that's right.

QUESTION: Would any of you ever contemplate going in cold into a
Slam, or is it - - -

MARAT SAFIN: Well, I think that, I think everyone needs a couple
of matches before a Grand Slam, so I don't think it's a great
idea to come straight away to a Gram Slam and try to perform
well, because I have been in a couple a few weeks even without
any matches. It's tough. So I think everybody needs a couple of
them.

JASON DUNSTALL: Any other questions, ladies and gentlemen?

QUESTION: Yes. Andy Murray, can you just reiterate on how you
are feeling this year as against where you felt you were at this
time last year going into the Open, please?

ANDY MURRAY: Physically, I feel much stronger. I worked - you
know, I only had like three weeks off in the off-season last year
and I had pretty much five weeks of training, so I feel
physically much stronger. Tennis-wise, I don't feel a whole lot
different, but I think obviously being physically stronger helps
you mentally as well, so the tennis isn't that much different.
But physically much better.

QUESTION: Nikolai, how much has the (inaudible) and do you think
that's going to affect your play at all?

NIKOLAI DAVYDENKO: Like starting a new season, I try to forget
everything that's happening last year, okay, and it didn't finish
yet. But it's not, you know, my problem, because working, my
manager, lawyers, and that's it. I just try and answer their
consideration in tennis and, you know, try in preparation for
Australian Open.

QUESTION: Spanish again?

JASON DUNSTALL: If you like. We are enjoying it.

(Question in Spanish to David Nalbandian)

JASON DUNSTALL: Any other questions, ladies and gentlemen,
before we all duck out and take a course in Spanish? Last
opportunity to throw some questions?

QUESTION: Andy Murray, maybe the other guys too: It's supposed
to be 41 on Thursday, and possibly the same on Friday. What do
you think of the temperature?

ANDY MURRAY: Pretty hot.

ANDY RODDICK: I won't wear a jacket. :spit: :haha: :rolls: :sobbing:

ANDY MURRAY: We always expect it to be hot over here. I trained
for four weeks in Florida before going back home for Christmas so
tried to get some training in the heat. But I've been doing that
Bikram Yoga, which is in a 42 degree room, so hopefully I'll be
used to it.

QUESTION: Can I ask, Colin, is there any heat policy here? When
it hits 41 you just play?

COLIN STUBS: That's it. You just play.

ANDY RODDICK: When are you putting in a roof? :lol:

COLIN STUBS: You had better ask Ian Hill. He is President of
the Club.

QUESTION: Question for Marcos: Do you have any goals you have
set yourself for the year?

MARCOS BAGHDATIS: To get in the top 10 and stay there. That's
one of my goals.

QUESTION: Any other goals?

MARCOS BAGHDATIS: Just try to win a medal for Cyprus in the
Olympics, because that's very important for me, and just try to
help my country stay in Group 2, or maybe go to Group 1, in Davis
Cup.

QUESTION: Can I ask then, Marat, how you feel going into this
year and, you have had a hit-up on the new surface? How is it
feeling?

MARAT SAFIN: Well, I have been working really hard for one month
and a half in Spain, came here pretty early, got used to the
colour. Still difficult to see Australian Open with this colour.
But it's okay, we have to deal with that. I think it's going to
be a good year. I've been fit. My knee doesn't hurt. Hopefully
I can stay this way for the whole season, and I be a little bit
lucky; and the guys will lose to me a couple of times during the
year, I think it will make a huge difference in my ranking.

QUESTION: Ivan, I'm not sure if you are still President of the
Players Council, but do you think the suspension and fines that
applied to the Italian players will drive home the point?

IVAN LJUBICIC: I don't think they are supposed to be suspended.
I think they could get a fine, you know, because what they did
was really stupid. That's it. And to be suspended nine months
because you put a few Euros on a match on the other side of the
world was maybe a little bit too aggressive. But those are the
rules and every player has to follow the rules, and they didn't,
so they were fined. And maybe this is more to show to the young
players that they have to follow the rules and show all other
players that there are rules that they need to follow, and I do
feel that they paid too much of a price for that. I think it was
a little bit too heavy on them. But again, those are the rules
and they didn't follow them, so that's what they got.

(Question in Spanish)

JASON DUNSTALL: Final call for questions, ladies and gentlemen,
before we wrap things up. Are there any final questions?

QUESTION: I would just like to ask Fernando: Last year you made
the Australian Open final, which surprised many people. How big
a role has playing in that final, in reaching that final, played
in your preparation?

FERNANDO GONZALEZ: I have a really good memory from last year.
It was my first and only Grand Slam final, and I remember that I
play really good matches, and I came here and I think it was a
really good experience, and I hope to repeat it this year and
have a really good tournament.

QUESTION: Question for Ivan: Just on that first game against
Andy Roddick, what do you think about that?

IVAN LJUBICIC: I think we played last year too. Is that right,
Andy?

ANDY RODDICK: Two years ago.

IVAN LJUBICIC: I think there's going to be a lot of long
rallies, kick serves and staying back 5 metres. No, of course
it's going to be a powerful game, there's no question about that.
But, you know, we play a few times so we know each other pretty
well.:haha:

ANDY RODDICK: You're wrong. I've changed it up for this year.:haha:

IVAN LJUBICIC: We will see.

ANDY RODDICK: You are going to be so surprised. :rolls:

IVAN LJUBICIC: One-handed backhand?

ANDY RODDICK: Two-handed forehand. :haha:

IVAN LJUBICIC: Two-handed forehand. We will see. I mean, as I
said, I'm ready, and I have more energy than I had last year
coming from Doha, playing five hard matches. This year I played
only three, so I have a lot more energy this year and I can give
a little bit more so we will see how it's going to go.

QUESTION: Andy, would you mind saying what your approach is?

ANDY RODDICK: Yes, it's pretty much the same. It's going to be
big serving, and I think the biggest thing is here you want to
get matches against this type of field. That's great preparation
for next week. I think that's what my main concern is.

QUESTION: Andy, how do you feel about everybody talking, first
top three players Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, taking Grand Slams,
and your name is going a little bit in the shadow? How does it
feel?

ANDY RODDICK: That's okay. It's what it is. Obviously, I think
Federer and Nadal have established themselves over the last
couple of years as the best two for the last couple of years. It
will be interesting this year to see how Novak goes. He had a
good year last year, now he is No. 3 in the world, and people
will be coming after him. It's going to be a new position for
him, but that's fine. I don't need to be talked about all the
time. It's not something I'm that concerned with, you know. I
just try to go out and win matches and, you know, if people are
talking, great; if not, it's not that big of a deal to me.

JASON DUNSTALL: All right, ladies and gentlemen. I think that
brings the press conference to a close. We thank the players for
making themselves available. Obviously, some of them have
travelled long distances to be here, so we look forward to four
great days of tennis over the Kooyong Classic, and we thank you
all for your attendance
- - -

snaillyyy
01-08-2008, 03:51 AM
OMG :haha: :spit: :haha: :spit: the part with Ivan is the best! Two handed forehand :haha: :haha:

Thanks Deb :kiss:

~*BGT*~
01-08-2008, 04:20 AM
Thanks for transcript Deb. This'll be my first time following Kooyong, and I'm confused about how it works. Is it like the TMC? :confused:

Deboogle!.
01-08-2008, 04:22 AM
Yeah kind of, except that it's not round robin, it's like a normal 8 player draw like the quarterfinals of a regular tourney, except that the losers play each other too, to guarantee the matches

Fee
01-08-2008, 04:25 AM
Oh dear goddess, Marat's answers nearly killed me. Love to hear that Murray does Bikram yoga, I can just picture his odd frame in a pair of bike shorts, sweating like Pat Rafter. Lovely.

Two handed forehand :spit:

~*BGT*~
01-08-2008, 04:39 AM
Yeah kind of, except that it's not round robin, it's like a normal 8 player draw like the quarterfinals of a regular tourney, except that the losers play each other too, to guarantee the matches

Thanks. This is random question, but Deb you seem to be able to answer all of my Andy questions. :) But, what is Andy's hair and eye color? I saw this picture (Andy really does have lovely eyes) and was confused because it looks like he has hazel eyes and brown hair. But sometimes it seems like he has red hair, brown hair, reddish brown hair.. when he was young it blonde.. he sometimes has brown eyes, green eyes, hazel eyes.. what is it?

http://www.menstennisforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=134310&d=1199766389

Deboogle!.
01-08-2008, 04:43 AM
i have no idea what andy's eye color is, I haven't been close enough to say :p I guess I just assumed they are brown :shrug: He does have brown hair IMO but in some light it does look reddish. Mine's the same, especially if i've been in the sun.

Fee
01-08-2008, 05:02 AM
The best picture of Andy's eyes that I've ever seen is the candid close up photo that was taken of him years ago at Roland Garros. You can clearly see that his eyes are hazel in that photo. Let me see if I can track it down somewhere.

Found it, and it's not as big or as clear as I remembered it. Memory really is the first thing to go after you hit 30. :lol:

williaer
01-08-2008, 06:31 AM
Oh man I vote we have group press conferences everyday... Kooyong's is always so damn funny.

Two-handed forehand :haha:
But I have to say... this is my favourite question and answer...

JASON DUNSTALL: I think we should also wish you a happy birthday
back for the 1st of January. Did you have any time to celebrate?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: No.

Wow David how insightful :rolleyes: :lol:

Jade Fox
01-08-2008, 08:18 AM
Maybe he is having a hard time dealing with the fact that he can't make googoo eyes at Roger during the press conference.

I certainly am, damn it.

Great. Instead of Roger making goo-goo eyes at Andy we get Donkey eyes. Kooyong already sucks. :ras:

Andy will have a chance to redeem himself in the press room again soon when he crashes out to whoever at AO and brings down the house.

I will just say I totally agree with you ladies. A Kooyong without Andy and Roger sitting next to each other and flirting is just...wrong!:ras:

He does look hot in the red though.:hearts:

Anyway, since the title of the thread has been changed, might as well bring out the appropriate picture.

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/HPM/CM518~Can-t-We-Just-Get-A-Bong-Posters.jpg

tennis lover
01-08-2008, 09:16 AM
I love the red shirt, it looks really good on Andy, he should wear red more often! :D

It looks like he's trying to turn Nikolay into this year's Roger but it's just not working. :awww:

Tytta!.
01-08-2008, 10:24 AM
Andy and red... Oh. Wow.

partygirl
01-08-2008, 11:57 AM
Ok, were going to have to stop quoting that picture or i will melt.:yeah:
Davy -D just doesn't have the hair to play Fed to Andy's Rod.

The best picture of Andy's eyes that I've ever seen is the candid close up photo that was taken of him years ago at Roland Garros. You can clearly see that his eyes are hazel in that photo. Let me see if I can track it down somewhere.

Found it, and it's not as big or as clear as I remembered it. Memory really is the first thing to go after you hit 30. :lol::haha: TEH EARS!!
i just wanna grab them and play tug-of-war or something.:o

Kate87
01-08-2008, 02:58 PM
well, I thought the press conference will be today.:lol:

anyway thanks for the pics.:p this red shirt is a great improvement - but I fear that - as Deb said - he will still wear white today:o

Ps.: Did you notice that the ugly shoes are gone:D

tangerine_dream
01-08-2008, 03:11 PM
This has to be one of the best photos I've seen of Andy's lovely green/brown/hazel eyes. :cool:

I also like that his hair looks darker here. I'm getting tired of the strawberry blonde hair. I think the darker color is more appealing.

:haha: Jade. Pass me the roach. :smoke:

Fumus
01-08-2008, 03:57 PM
Andy and Ivan are like really good friends now, they practice with each other and stuff...that's funny.

Well I just hope Andy plays well, this tourney really doesn't mean anything...and I think if the surface is slower and lower bouncing this could help Andy, sorta like those courts in Miami & IW. Andy was playing some good tennis at those tourneys before he got injured last year.

My real wish for 08' is that Andy starts using his forehand as more of a weapon...Andy needs to stop grinding past players and start hitting through them....it's the only way to beat those top guys...

El Legenda
01-08-2008, 04:57 PM
Andy and Ivan are like really good friends now, they practice with each other and stuff...that's funny.

:armed: no kidding. that really hurts my feud with Tangy :hug:

tangerine_dream
01-08-2008, 05:46 PM
Don't worry Jerry, Ivan will always suck. :p

El Legenda
01-08-2008, 06:26 PM
Don't worry Jerry, Ivan will always suck. :p

:rolleyes:

kaylee
01-08-2008, 07:22 PM
OK who is the girl in your avatar? Heehee I like the way Ivo says he is playing well, I saw his match in Doha last week, he looked really sleepy. Andy keep wearing the red, hopefully Lacoste have given him something different to wear this year otherwise I will be knocking on the fashion department's door. grrrrrr!

acoffeygirl
01-08-2008, 08:20 PM
It is the chick from Transformers...Megan Fox I think it is.

El Legenda
01-08-2008, 08:24 PM
It is the chick from Transformers...Megan Fox I think it is.

no, i just typed on goolge. "girls that roddick has no chance with" and that came up :D

this is Megan Fox
:p
http://freshvisual.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/megan_fox_10.jpg

~*BGT*~
01-08-2008, 10:18 PM
Does anyone know if there will be a live feed somewhere??

blosson
01-08-2008, 11:03 PM
Aw tennis is back on! :banana:

acoffeygirl
01-09-2008, 02:20 AM
No scores or anything???

snaillyyy
01-09-2008, 02:26 AM
5-3 Andy :D

Edit: broke again 6-3 Andy, first set :p

~*BGT*~
01-09-2008, 02:30 AM
:rocker2: Breaks Ljube-Job twice. Is there a live feed anywhere? The one someone wlse gave me does not work?

acoffeygirl
01-09-2008, 02:31 AM
woohoo...Hi Carole!!! :hug: Where are you getting the scores? :)

snaillyyy
01-09-2008, 02:34 AM
Hi there :hug: How's it going?

Try this link, and then click on his match

http://www.bet365.com/home/default.asp?affiliate=365_014110&oty=1&lng=1&tzi=1

I don't have the live feed going, but it gives score.

~*BGT*~
01-09-2008, 02:49 AM
Hi there :hug: How's it going?

Try this link, and then click on his match

http://www.bet365.com/home/default.asp?affiliate=365_014110&oty=1&lng=1&tzi=1

I don't have the live feed going, but it gives score.

I can't find his match there. Where is it?

acoffeygirl
01-09-2008, 02:50 AM
I'm good. I must be retarded cause I don't see the scores, but I imagine the match is close to being over anyway.

jeahhh!
01-09-2008, 02:51 AM
The match was there and then it disappeared.But I'm pretty sure he was 4-0 up in the second last I saw.

Deboogle!.
01-09-2008, 02:52 AM
Um |:

acoffeygirl
01-09-2008, 02:54 AM
6-3 6-0

snaillyyy
01-09-2008, 02:54 AM
Yea, I go to the bathroom and when I come back it is gone!

I heard Nalbandian pulled out ?

~*BGT*~
01-09-2008, 02:56 AM
6-3 6-0

:eek: I have never laughed so loud at a result as I just did. :haha: That was GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR-EAT!!!! :worship:

Winston's Human
01-09-2008, 03:07 AM
I am glad that I came back to check MTF. Yahoo 7 Sports currently has Ljubicic leading 6-3,4-1.

Deboogle!.
01-09-2008, 03:22 AM
OMG? IS THAT A LITTLE COLOR I SEE? :eek:

tangerine_dream
01-09-2008, 03:23 AM
:drool:

http://i17.tinypic.com/210av79.jpg

snaillyyy
01-09-2008, 03:26 AM
He has to introduce the color slowly, he can't take it all at once ;) too much to process.

Tangy, my first thought was :drool: :hearts: I really could eat one right now. Then I was like, oh yea, Andy got a bagel :lol: :lol:

williaer
01-09-2008, 03:27 AM
:haha: Deb - that's the same reaction I had when I saw him on TV!!! Unfortunately as I was leaving work today I saw the score was 3-2 when Andy had just broken and then by the time I got home, he was leading 5-0* in the 2nd and I only got to see the last game!! Boooooo.

While I'm glad Andy won so convincingly I kinda wish he'd had more competition... it's hard to bring out your A-game and test your full arsenal when you opponent is playing crappily. Anyway a win is a win and I bet Andy's on his way now to Melbourne Park for a long practise session to make up for the short match!!

laure xxx
01-09-2008, 03:37 AM
Jimmy's there!!

Bit of a nothing match, really. Roddick didn't hit his first winner until the second set I think. Apart from aces of course. Ljubo too many errors.

Deboogle!.
01-09-2008, 03:40 AM
:)

Fee
01-09-2008, 04:37 AM
Well, the two handed forehand was working well today. Good to know.

Deboogle!.
01-09-2008, 04:38 AM
Well, the two handed forehand was working well today. Good to know.OMG :spit: :haha:

Fee
01-09-2008, 04:46 AM
Okay, so apparently I had a little story that I forgot to post here. Jimmy was with Andy last week in Hawaii. Andy's hitting partner was quite pleased with the opportunity to be introduced to Jimmy because Jimmy is basically the reason that Andy's hitting partner ever became a tennis player in the first place. It's kind of sweet when a grown up tennis player gets all mushy about meeting his tennis idol (yes, they can be fanboys too).

And yeah, Jimmy wore the sweater vest.

Deboogle!.
01-09-2008, 04:47 AM
So Marat beat Murray so I *think* that Andy will play Marat next

Jlee
01-09-2008, 05:02 AM
Ohh Marat and Andy. Interesting...

Yay color! Love the red...two handed forehand :lol:. I'd like to see that in action.

Havok
01-09-2008, 05:04 AM
:haha: So out of the loop with Kooyong, didn't even know it started yet. Nice win Andy, always nice to see him roll over Ljubicic.

That's a very snazy shirt, if only the grey was substituted for an actual color though.:D Baby steps.

Deboogle!.
01-09-2008, 05:40 AM
AAMI Classic

9 January 2008

Andy Roddick

Q. Andy, you were looking pretty good out there today. You must be happy already with the way you're hitting the ball. Can you take us through it, what you did since the Davis Cup win and how you prepared for this?

A. I didn't have that much time off. You know, we kind of finished Davis Cup on Sunday, and then the next Tuesday I was playing in Marty's event. I played a couple of charity events throughout the next week and a half or so, and so I wasn't training per se, but I was still hitting balls. And then about a week before Christmas we started just doing a lot of physical training pretty much all day, and then after Christmas we were down in Hawaii for about 10 days just to get used to the heat, and Jimmy was down there and we had some other players down there, so it has been good, you know. We've been able to kind of focus on what we've had to.

Q. You didn't have to spend too much time on court today, but how did you assess what the court surface was like?

A. I mean, it's pretty much, I think, what everybody has been saying. It's a little grittier, the ball is getting a little bigger as a result of that, but it is a normal slow hard court. I don't see much difference between this and, you know, like a Washington or something like that. I know it is a new surface, but it kind of feels the same as anything else.

Q. Is the bounce as high as it used to be?

A. Yes, I think so.

Q. At Kooyong you have got a fairly good record here, but how important is it for you to prepare for the Open?

A. It's very important, because this is where I'm getting my matches, and I think traditionally a lot of the players who have played here have done well in the Aussie Open. I have played pretty consistently throughout the year, so there's nothing wrong with playing three matches against guys in the top 20 before a big event. It's ideal.

Q. You are going for a hat trick. A lot of people are preparing for the Open, but there is a bit at stake for you. You obviously want to win?

A. I think everybody wants to win, but if I'm sitting here saying I've even thought about winning three times in a row, I haven't really, you know. You kind of use the event for what it's worth, and it's a great event to help prepare, but, you know, I think we're all here for the Australian Open.

Q. With that and the preparation that it offers you, how difficult will it be - David Nalbandian has pulled out today - for him to go out without this sort of practice going in cold on Monday?

A. David has been able to do that before. He doesn't play a lot of tournaments throughout the year, so I think that's a good thing for him. He's not a guy who plays 30 weeks a year. That being said, I think in order to know, to be able to predict on how he's going to be, I have to know a lot more about his injury. I just heard about it about 5 minutes ago. So it's not going to be ideal but, it's just a matter of if he can manage for the first one or two rounds at the Aussie Open until you find your form, and he's a good enough player to figure that out.

Q. How do you assess your form today? How do you think you were hitting the ball?

A. I was pretty happy with how I hit the ball today. I was consistent, I returned pretty well, and I thought I managed the match pretty well. I didn't make any stupid errors, and that's key.

Q. You said you've been working out physically. Are you doing more of that than in the past or basically the same?

A. No; I mean, I've always done it. I think I had to manage my schedule a little bit last year. It's a little bit different having played a Davis Cup final, I didn't maybe play as much in the Fall. I think if you play a full schedule and then you have a three-week turnaround, it would have been a tough ask, and I had to kind of do what I thought was the best, and so far it has worked out as far as scheduling. Thank you.

williaer
01-09-2008, 07:43 AM
Thursday January 10 - 3 matches from 11am

Murray v Ljubicic

Followed by

Safin v Roddick

Followed by

Davydenko v Klein

partygirl
01-09-2008, 08:00 AM
Holy shit new shorts!!

*dead...happily*

Kate87
01-09-2008, 08:16 AM
:D If you register on bet365.com (it's free) you can watch Kooyong.:)

so I saw his match today/tonight. to be honest I slept through the second set:lol:I like this shirt, it reminds me very much of his old Reebok ones.

Thanks for the pics:)(I love the fact that Jimmy is already there:D)

Jade Fox
01-09-2008, 08:19 AM
I wake up to get some breakfast and I see that Andy already gave out a bagel. Bastard.:p

It's always nice to wake up to hear Andy winning.

Mmm. Gray. It's a start.:drool:

Tytta!.
01-09-2008, 08:42 AM
Andrew :zzz: Hopefully you showed him your two handed forehand :D

tennis lover
01-09-2008, 12:28 PM
Andy! :banana: always nice to see him get a bagel! and Jimmy is there! :yeah: It's been too long since I've seen the sweater vest! :lol:

Andy v Marat, interesting indeed! It's a shame that Marat actually won a match and now I want him to lose but oh well! :o Allez Andy! :bounce:

Fumus
01-09-2008, 01:36 PM
:D If you register on bet365.com (it's free) you can watch Kooyong.:)

so I saw his match today/tonight. to be honest I slept through the second set:lol:I like this shirt, it reminds me very much of his old Reebok ones.

Thanks for the pics:)(I love the fact that Jimmy is already there:D)

You can't in America :-(

Kate87
01-09-2008, 01:40 PM
You can't in America :-(
:( ...and I remember that Jo couldn't use bwin from the UK

kaylee
01-09-2008, 02:42 PM
awww why can't u access it in America? Personally I can't stay up until 1:00 am in the morning to watch a tennis match, don't get me wrong I love tennis but I gotta have some sleep!!!!

tennis lover
01-09-2008, 02:48 PM
:( ...and I remember that Jo couldn't use bwin from the UK
not sure if I would be able to from France either but at the moment my internet isn't working in my room and here's no way I'm going to sit outside the cafe at 1am in the freezing cold just to watch livescores. :awww: I really hope it works again by next week but I have my doubts! :sobbing: being in France is bad for me as a tennis fan! :o

kaylee
01-09-2008, 04:15 PM
awww Jo that is too bad about your internet but I have to agree I would like to visit Australia but this time zone thing sucks...

tangerine_dream
01-09-2008, 05:45 PM
Two videos from Andy's match with Ivan are up on YouTube.

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNf7EDR2uYQ

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-9u27zjY8s

Fumus
01-09-2008, 06:49 PM
awww why can't u access it in America? Personally I can't stay up until 1:00 am in the morning to watch a tennis match, don't get me wrong I love tennis but I gotta have some sleep!!!!

Yea right! I have those 3am parties for AO semis and finals every year! :D

Deboogle!.
01-09-2008, 06:51 PM
awww why can't u access it in America? Personally I can't stay up until 1:00 am in the morning to watch a tennis match, don't get me wrong I love tennis but I gotta have some sleep!!!!b/c there are very strict laws about online gambling here

Kate87
01-09-2008, 07:32 PM
b/c there are very strict laws about online gambling here

wow, I didn't know it was because of this^.Thanks:)

well I usually don't sleep until 1am. and now I have to study, too. and now I can until the match. it's abnormal I know plus I have to wake up at 8am:rocker2:

but I'll try my best tonight to keep you updated during the match:D

kaylee
01-09-2008, 07:48 PM
Thanks Kate! Sigh thanks Deb I forgot about that! That is a shame cos you don't have to bet to watch the tennis and it is a free site.

kaylee
01-09-2008, 07:50 PM
sorry a bit off topic but just watching Hopman cup matches and I must say Serena is looking really fit.

blosson
01-09-2008, 08:00 PM
I love Andy vs Marat matches. Nice back vs nice front.

tangerine_dream
01-09-2008, 08:09 PM
:lol: I like them too, they form a perfect natural disaster of tennis: volcanic eruption vs hurricane. :)

Marat's presser today:
Q. Marat, you play Andy Roddick next game. You are three and four against Roddick. Aside from that, how would you describe your rivalry with him?

A. Again?

Q. How do you describe your rivalry with him?

A. Well, I beat him first, I think, couple of times at the beginning of his career and - this is what you are asking?

Q. Forget the numbers but, you know, do you like playing against him? Do you like beating him? How do you feel playing against him?

A. Oh, he's complicated tennis player because he's just, he serves well. So first of all he serves well, and then when he's in the rhythym, everyone gets to try them. Then you have to break the rhythm because then you have to play much faster and then basically you are going all the time behind him. So it's just break the rhythm, maybe take some time between the serves, but just a few things you have to make just so long, because when he's in the mood he's pretty tough. He just serves, serves, serves, and then he builds up the point with the forehand, and then he start to get much more comfortable on the court, and that's what makes a huge difference. Then he puts a lot of pressure on an opponent's serve, starts to play without missing any balls, everything from the backhand, and makes things complicated for the opponent.

Fumus
01-09-2008, 08:14 PM
I would like to see, Andy hit that forehand more tomorrow...screw this managing the match...bla bla shit...just hit ball as big as you can...please!

kaylee
01-09-2008, 08:15 PM
man that court sure is blue.

GollyLou
01-09-2008, 08:26 PM

I really love them too. :D They are my favourite kind of matches. So much fun to watch. If only I could stay up and watch a livestream. :sobbing:

Kate87
01-09-2008, 08:28 PM
A. Oh, he's complicated tennis player

:rolls: yes Marat, he is

kaylee
01-09-2008, 08:30 PM
huh Andy complicated? NEVER!!!!!!!!

Deboogle!.
01-09-2008, 08:48 PM
Ummmmmmmmm

Amazingly, Roddick’s partnership with Connors, which began at Wimbledon two years ago and has enhanced the younger American’s tennis, remains in a state of confusion. Connors practised with Roddick in Hawaii last week in preparation for Australia, they are together at the AAMI Classic in Kooyong this week and yet Connors will be flying home on Sunday evening, the day before the Australian Open starts.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/tennis/article3162269.ece

Tytta!.
01-09-2008, 08:49 PM
wtf?

Kate87
01-09-2008, 09:09 PM
:scratch:

MissFairy
01-09-2008, 10:33 PM
It's been too long since I've seen the sweater vest! :lol:
Great posting AND great av. Jo, you've outdone yourself :p

snaillyyy
01-09-2008, 11:25 PM
Ummmmmmmmm

Amazingly, Roddick’s partnership with Connors, which began at Wimbledon two years ago and has enhanced the younger American’s tennis, remains in a state of confusion. Connors practised with Roddick in Hawaii last week in preparation for Australia, they are together at the AAMI Classic in Kooyong this week and yet Connors will be flying home on Sunday evening, the day before the Australian Open starts.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/tennis/article3162269.ece

hmmmmm, cant think of anything original.

snaillyyy
01-09-2008, 11:30 PM
:)

Deboogle!.
01-09-2008, 11:44 PM
Jimmy and his sweater vest in 90+ degree heat :bowdown:

edit: and a few more :)

snaillyyy
01-09-2008, 11:50 PM
Only Jimmy :lol:

Deboogle!.
01-09-2008, 11:56 PM
Ain't that the truth :lol: ( :cuckoo: )

snaillyyy
01-09-2008, 11:59 PM
" :cuckoo:" Maybe that is why he gets along with Andy :p

Deboogle!.
01-10-2008, 12:00 AM
OMFG HAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHA :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

~*BGT*~
01-10-2008, 12:09 AM
Found a live stream link for Kooyong.. that's legal in the US :banana: Go to channelsurfing.net The link for the Kooyong event is half-way down the page. I'm not sure if it works, but if it does, it's better than nothing. :rocker2:

snaillyyy
01-10-2008, 12:16 AM
OMFG HAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHA :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

:kiss: :o;)Why thank you. I am afraid since the writers are still on strike, there will be no public thank you speech :p

acoffeygirl
01-10-2008, 01:08 AM
Found a live stream link for Kooyong.. that's legal in the US :banana: Go to channelsurfing.net The link for the Kooyong event is half-way down the page. I'm not sure if it works, but if it does, it's better than nothing. :rocker2:

It appears to be offline now. :( It may only be on for 2 hours or something...for the first match??? :shrug:

~*BGT*~
01-10-2008, 01:24 AM
It appears to be offline now. :( It may only be on for 2 hours or something...for the first match??? :shrug:

:sad: I've got someone updating me every 2 to 3 games on the other forum I post. I will do the same here if you want.

snaillyyy
01-10-2008, 01:30 AM
Even if you don't register at bet365.com, you can still follow scoreboard live.

Also, random comment, since I was reading that article again about Jimmy going home. Isn't it the one year anniversary for Jimmy's mom's passing?

Deboogle!.
01-10-2008, 01:41 AM

Also, random comment, since I was reading that article again about Jimmy going home. Isn't it the one year anniversary for Jimmy's mom's passing?ohhhhhhh that's right. yes. that might explain it.

acoffeygirl
01-10-2008, 01:54 AM
Break to Andy 2-3* Andy serving

Oh oops...am i supposed to do this in the other thread?

~*BGT*~
01-10-2008, 01:54 AM

Thanks. I see that now. :) Andy has the break 3-2. :rocker2:

Also, random comment, since I was reading that article again about Jimmy going home. Isn't it the one year anniversary for Jimmy's mom's passing?

Mama Connors. :sad:

Deboogle!.
01-10-2008, 02:04 AM
Nah Amber it's ok for Kooyong I think - we don't have hundreds of posts and people trying to catch up etc ;) We'll start that for the AO :)

Deboogle!.
01-10-2008, 02:10 AM
:yeah:

cath777
01-10-2008, 02:10 AM
First set Andy 6-3 :bounce:

cath777
01-10-2008, 02:13 AM
Debsquire, is it just me or did MFT post your last post before mine, even though you posted after:scratch: Looks like your congratulating your own post :lol:

cath777
01-10-2008, 02:14 AM
Andy holds first game, second set

Deboogle!.
01-10-2008, 02:17 AM
Debsquire, is it just me or did MFT post your last post before mine, even though you posted after:scratch: Looks like your congratulating your own post :lol::haha: So it did :lol: that has happened a couple other times recently, too. Crazy MTF :lol:

Deboogle!.
01-10-2008, 02:30 AM
:kiss: :o;)Why thank you. I am afraid since the writers are still on strike, there will be no public thank you speech :pOMG somehow I missed this post. LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :haha: :bowdown:

and here are some more pics from the practice earlier :p

cath777
01-10-2008, 02:33 AM
Andy is fiddling with his shoes for the second changeover in a row :scared:

He also hasn't been to the net all match, which I don't know is a good or bad thing :unsure:

Deboogle!.
01-10-2008, 02:34 AM
it's super super hot, and i think the players have said the court's gritty/rough b/c it's new.... maybe they're.....melting? :lol:

I would say it's not a good thing :unsure:

cath777
01-10-2008, 02:38 AM
He is holding serve pretty easily though :D

40C on court

Deboogle!.
01-10-2008, 02:39 AM
OMG It did it again LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

whoa holy crap

snaillyyy
01-10-2008, 02:40 AM
OMG somehow I missed this post. LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :haha: :bowdown:
;):p

Andy is fiddling with his shoes for the second changeover in a row :scared:

He also hasn't been to the net all match, which I don't know is a good or bad thing :unsure:
Maybe it is shoes now instead of chewing the nails. Hope he hasn't forgotten about the net.

it's super super hot, and i think the players have said the court's gritty/rough b/c it's new.... maybe they're.....melting? :lol:

I would say it's not a good thing :unsure:

I now have images of players stuck in the court, with feet buried in what looks like sticky goooey molasses :lol:

cath777
01-10-2008, 02:41 AM
OMG It did it again LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

whoa holy crap

Super Flash Deb can out post MTF :rolls: :worship:

cath777
01-10-2008, 02:41 AM
Andy breaks, serving 5-3 :worship:

acoffeygirl
01-10-2008, 02:42 AM
Break serving for the match

cath777
01-10-2008, 02:42 AM
and he double faults to start :rolleyes:

cath777
01-10-2008, 02:43 AM
complains but 15 all

Huge serve 30-15

cath777
01-10-2008, 02:43 AM
Another huge serve 40 - 15
and another for match :worship:

cath777
01-10-2008, 02:44 AM
Andy in final to play winner of Baggy and Gonzo :D

snaillyyy
01-10-2008, 02:46 AM
Glad he got another win :D I can't imagine playing in that heat :awww:

embellish
01-10-2008, 02:51 AM

One of the commentators said "He hasn't been to the net, if you can believe that" I just thought yes I can believe that!

Glad he got another win :D I can't imagine playing in that heat :awww:

Was it 40c? Good on both of them in that heat.

Good win, his serve looked very solid and he had a few nice backhand shots :)

VolandriFan
01-10-2008, 02:53 AM
Everyone seen this one?

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/98/fullj.949eb40f2d8f81b53e0400643b19231b/949eb40f2d8f81b53e0400643b19231b-getty-tennis-aus-kooyong-training-roddick.jpg

Fee
01-10-2008, 02:56 AM
90+ and Jimmy, visiting from 1981 in his time machine, is wearing navy slacks, a sweater vest, a popped collar, and white sunglasses. I wonder if he's wearing a really cool pair of custom made Vans.

Deboogle!.
01-10-2008, 02:59 AM
I wonder if he's wearing a really cool pair of custom made Vans.I'll be really disappointed if not.

andy :yeah:

snaillyyy
01-10-2008, 03:26 AM
So who is going to take Davydenkos place?

Deboogle!.
01-10-2008, 03:29 AM
No idea Carole.... but did you see his "excuse" this time? "Exhaustion" and it was too hot for him to play... i mean no, it's not smart to take risks with the AO so close....but.....come on....

pics will be in here til it's full :p

williaer
01-10-2008, 03:30 AM
Good win. Didn't get to see much of it but the commentators sounded pretty impressed with the way Andy was playing.

It might be that it's super hot out or maybe it's just me but Andy looked really pissed off after his two matches today and yesterday... Hm!

snaillyyy
01-10-2008, 03:31 AM
I know the heat is bad, but if he complains of "exhaustion" now, what is it going to be like during AO.
Knew he couldn't stay away from the white shorts for long :p;)

Deboogle!.
01-10-2008, 03:33 AM
I know the heat is bad, but if he complains of "exhaustion" now, what is it going to be like during AO.
Knew he couldn't stay away from the white shorts for long :p;)Exactly ;) on both accounts :p

Deboogle!.
01-10-2008, 04:03 AM
Carole...So who is going to take Davydenkos place?"American Vince Spadea will take Davydenko's place against Klein, although the Russian is expected to play on Friday."

:haha:
================================================== =========
AAMI CLASSIC

10 JANUARY 2008

PRESS CONFERENCE - ANDY RODDICK

Q. Andy, with those conditions, would you consider that great preparation for next week?

A. Yeah, sure. You know, it's hot sometimes and it's windy sometimes out in Melbourne Park, so we got both of them out there today and, you know, that's what you train for in the off-season, days like today and getting out in the heat, so yeah, I think it's good preparation.

Q. How hard is it to maintain your concentration when conditions are that oppressive?

A. I don't think it's really that hard, because you concentrate on every point because you don't want to stay out there all day. I don't mind. I grew up in warm places, so I don't really mind it as much as some.

Q. Andy, you've now played the court in extreme conditions and reasonable conditions; was there any difference in playing conditions?

A. Oh, yes. I don't know if that's specific to this surface, though. I mean, if you play on grass and it's a lot warmer, the ball is going to move a lot faster, and the same goes for any surface. So I don't know if that was surprising, but, yeah, it was definitely different.

Q. Some players are saying the balls are fluffing up a little bit on this surface; did you find that?

A. Yeah, they are getting big. It's the nature of it. I mean, when you have a grittier surface, it's only natural when the ball hits it's going to check a little bit and rub a little bit. But, like I said yesterday, I don't think it's any different than a normal kind of gritty hard court.

Q. The US Open is a gritty hard court, or is this grittier?

A. No, the US Open is quick, it's faster. The surface is a little bit smoother, the ball kind of slides off a little bit more, as opposed to hitting and grabbing.

Q. Sixty-six minutes out there. Although the conditions are good for warming up for next week, you still don't want to be out there for too long, obviously?

A. No. I mean, I don't think you put a - I don't think the time on the clock is ever really relevant. When you're preparing you want to get matches in, you want to make sure you're playing well and getting used to the conditions and the surface, and I think this week allows me to do that.

Q. Marat is obviously trying to come back from a low ranking. How do you think his game is? Is it possible for him to do?

A. Like I said, it's tough conditions today. I think he's hitting the ball pretty clean. I was able to kind of fight some of his shots off today and I thought I played pretty well, but Marat can play tennis, there's no question.

Q. He was talking about how difficult it is to play tough, to get rhythm. When you get into a rhythm, it is difficult for him. Is he a more tough player for you to play against in terms of what you have to come up with, with your serve?

A. I don't know about that. I mean, it's not like he has a small serve. I think he might have even got me in aces today. So, you know, fortunately I was just able to return a little bit better today. You know, if he gets in a groove and hits the ball harder than I do from the baseline, you know, there's maybe not a lot of rhythm to be had either way.

Q. Andy, Lleyton Hewitt said yesterday that he thought the standard of umpiring had dropped in the last couple of years since Hawk-Eye came in. He thought that umpires maybe weren't brave enough to make decisions. Do you think there has been a drop in umpiring standards over the last couple of years?

A. I don't really notice a difference, to be honest. I think we all have good matches and matches where sometimes the umpiring is suspect, but I mean, I guess it's a matter of opinion. You know, I guess the one thing you could say is that if they are making bad calls and Hawk-Eye is there, that you have the chance to express the option of trying to correct them.

Q. You prepare for these conditions obviously in your training and pre-tournament training. If you are playing someone who is not as well prepared and they close the roof at Melbourne Park, is that something that you just have to accept, or do you object to it?

A. Yeah, I have never been a big fan of closing the roof. I mean, you have six or eight weeks - most people have eight weeks because there's only eight people in Masters, and very few that have four, Davis Cup final - but that is what you have two months to train for, to get yourself in shape. I don't come to Australia to play tennis in air conditioning. I think it takes away from it a little bit, and the court plays differently also. So, yeah, I mean, I would be a supporter of leaving it open, but I know that they have a lot more to take into consideration, such as health considerations and so on and so forth, so I can understand their position as well.

Q. Are you as well prepared as you have been in past years for the Open? Can you compare it? Are you feeling as good, or not quite as good, or the same?

A. Yes, I feel good, you know. I feel pretty good physically, and maybe the short off-season was beneficial to my tennis, because I really didn't take too much time off. I didn't play a heavy schedule in the Fall, so, yeah, I feel about as prepared as I have. I think I'm hitting the ball pretty well.

Q. You mentioned that with the roof, taking into consideration health issues, but isn't that precisely the point you are making - it is supposed to be the survival of the fittest?

A. Yes. Fitness is one thing. I think I might have been referring to something above and beyond fitness, with heat. I don't know if some players, once you get to a certain level, I mean, it could be genetics or something else as far as like a serious health concern, and I don't know if I might be a little bit too ignorant to go deeper into that as far as what those health concerns may be. But I'm sure they have to have some sort of reason, so maybe they would be able to answer it better than me. Thanks.

williaer
01-10-2008, 04:26 AM
Vinnay? Oh man they must be desperate!!

That's 2 unfunny press conferences in a row. Poor form Andy :p

williaer
01-10-2008, 04:28 AM
Oh btw I'll be going to the Kooyong final on Saturday (I have a day off! Yay!!) so I'll be able to give some first hand criticism of Andy's game :p :lol:

Deboogle!.
01-10-2008, 04:35 AM
Vinnay? Oh man they must be desperate!!my thoughts exactly :lol:

That's 2 unfunny press conferences in a row. Poor form Andy :pI KNOW!! I got to the end and was like, oh man I don't even have anything to comment on :lol:

Oh btw I'll be going to the Kooyong final on Saturday (I have a day off! Yay!!) so I'll be able to give some first hand criticism of Andy's game :p :lol:ooooh :D :yeah: Are you working at the AO Again this year?

williaer
01-10-2008, 04:45 AM
Hahahahaha I must say that the lack of Deblighting has in fact highlighted the lack of amusing things!!!!

I sure am working there again!! Qualies are notoriously boring I've only seen Bagdhatis, Murray, the Williams sisters and Lindsay Davenport so far. Hopefully will run into Andy tomorrow seeing as he'll have a day off and will probably be practising earlyish in the day??

Deboogle!.
01-10-2008, 04:49 AM
Hahahahaha I must say that the lack of Deblighting has in fact highlighted the lack of amusing things!!!!AW!! I think I'm honored! :lol:

I sure am working there again!! Qualies are notoriously boring I've only seen Bagdhatis, Murray, the Williams sisters and Lindsay Davenport so far. Hopefully will run into Andy tomorrow seeing as he'll have a day off and will probably be practising earlyish in the day??Cool!!! He sure as hell better practice tomorrow :p And for goodness sake I hope he does it at Melbourne Park instead of at Kooyong like today! :lol:

Fee
01-10-2008, 04:54 AM
If you see Justin roaming around, fangirl over him a little bit. He'll probably appreciate it. :lol:

Havok
01-10-2008, 04:55 AM
Hahahahaha I must say that the lack of Deblighting has in fact highlighted the lack of amusing things!!!!

I sure am working there again!! Qualies are notoriously boring I've only seen Bagdhatis, Murray, the Williams sisters and Lindsay Davenport so far. Hopefully will run into Andy tomorrow seeing as he'll have a day off and will probably be practising earlyish in the day??

Oh.My.God.

Please stalk Jelena Dokic for me! I am forever indebted to you.:D

williaer
01-10-2008, 06:36 AM
Fee I shall keep a lookout for Justin... He is hard to miss!! However unlike you, we're not so lucky; we're not allowed to talk to the players in our uniforms unless spoken too. Boo. Will be doing some spectatoring après work though so I'll fangirl then :p

Naldo; I did actually see Jelena yesterday!!! Walked down the ramp thingo with her (she'd just come from transport) and she looked pretty good!! I had a bit of a giggle at the little soft toy dog keychain she had attached to her racquet bag :lol:

Fee
01-10-2008, 06:46 AM
He's not a player, he's a commentator. Talk to him all you like!

williaer
01-10-2008, 09:07 AM
Hahaha I wish!!!! We're not even allowed to talk to them!! Booooooo, right? I shall find a way though ;)

Kate87
01-10-2008, 09:10 AM
I didn't see a minute of this match but yay for Andy:D
(I decided that my exam is more important than a meaningless exo so I slept)

I think this belongs to the AO thread: :) (including Jimmy's match, too cause he rocks):rocker2:
Federer's loss to Safin was his last defeat Down Under

By Joel Drucker
Special to ESPN.com

The atmosphere in Australia is more relaxed than at any of the other Grand Slams. But don't confuse an easygoing atmosphere with subdued tennis. Here's a look at the five greatest Australian Open men's matches of the Open era (the first Australian Open was played in 1969).
2. 1975 Final: White Hat vs. Black Hat
John Newcombe def. Jimmy Connors, 7-5, 3-6, 6-4, 7-6 (7)

The 22-year-old Connors was at the height of his powers; he was the defending champ and coming off a 1974 season in which he won three Slams. Newcombe had been No. 1 in the early part of '74, but hadn't reached a single Slam final. While Connors at this point in his career was despised for his swagger and vulgarity, the 30-year-old Newcombe was tennis' leading man, the Aussie's charisma most vividly revealed by his trademark mustache.

With the match tied at one set apiece, Connors attempted to ingratiate himself with the crowd by throwing a point when he felt Newcombe was wronged by a call. Using this form of patronization as motivation, Newcombe later said, "That's something a goose would do. And the only thing to do with a goose is put it in the oven and cook it." Newcombe took charge of the third and went ahead two sets to one. The Australian's mix of serves and off-pace defense was a superb contrast to Connors' aggressive counterpunching.

The fourth set was a dazzler. Connors clawed back to earn a set point in the tiebreak at 7-6. A weary Newcombe ripped a winner off his notoriously weak backhand -- and then snapped up the next two points for the match. Said Connors, "It's no good being nice."
5. 2003 Quarterfinals: Marathon Men
Andy Roddick def. Younes El Aynaoui 4-6, 7-6 (5), 4-6, 6-4, 21-19

Just when you thought the tiebreaker was a tennis staple, these two came along and played a five-hour match culminating in a remarkable fifth set that alone was more than two hours long. El Aynaoui was the perfect foil. At the age of 31, he was a late-stage, whirling dervish of a shot-maker, graced with elastic movement and a powerful forehand. Roddick was the 20-year-old contender, hankering to reach his first Slam semi. Drama was equaled by quality -- 209 total winners to only 86 unforced errors. Said Roddick afterward, "Strategy was out the door late on in the fifth set. It was just pure fighting. This was more about heart."

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/aus08/news/story?id=3177069

and here's the headline from ESPN

Jade Fox
01-10-2008, 10:19 AM
Didn't get to see any of this match either.

*Glares at whoever it is I need to be glaring at*

Good work Andy!:yeah:

tennis lover
01-10-2008, 12:08 PM
:yeah: another nice, easy win from Andy! :banana:

Jimmy is leaving?! :awww: This time last year it was backwards, with him rushing out to be here for Andy's 3rd round match against Marat. Maybe if Andy goes far he'll come back? :shrug:

snaillyyy
01-10-2008, 12:29 PM
Carole..."American Vince Spadea will take Davydenko's place against Klein, although the Russian is expected to play on Friday."

:haha:.

OMG :haha: :haha: :haha: I almost spit out my cereal. But I see Davydenko's name on the list for today? :scratch:

lost_alina
01-10-2008, 01:23 PM
Everyone seen this one?

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/98/fullj.949eb40f2d8f81b53e0400643b19231b/949eb40f2d8f81b53e0400643b19231b-getty-tennis-aus-kooyong-training-roddick.jpg

OMG... he is so hot:eek::devil: thanks:worship:

kaylee
01-10-2008, 01:27 PM
First of all guys a very entertaining read this morning, just got me started for the work day (darn these time differences). I like the above picture, am glad that Andy is playing good tennis.

Suddenly all these players are dropping like flies, what is with the water in Australia? I hope they are all fit for next week. Sadly I am a selfish person and am really happy that tennis is back!!

Fumus
01-10-2008, 01:30 PM
Oh.My.God.

Please stalk Jelena Dokic for me! I am forever indebted to you.:D

You see I updated our Jelly thread?

kaylee
01-10-2008, 01:50 PM
:haha::haha::haha: Ryan I am not even going to ask.

Fumus
01-10-2008, 02:02 PM
Jelena Dokic, you don't have to ask.

kaylee
01-10-2008, 02:37 PM
ahhhhh now I get it duh!!!!

tangerine_dream
01-10-2008, 03:08 PM
*fangirls over Fee's Novak avatar* :hearts:

Tytta!.
01-10-2008, 03:10 PM
http://planetsmilies.net/tired-sleeping-smiley-33.gif

kaylee
01-10-2008, 03:37 PM
errrr tired Re? Noly is funny!!

Tytta!.
01-10-2008, 03:42 PM
yup :p

snaillyyy
01-10-2008, 04:11 PM
A quick note before I run out of here, but I just read that it was 55C on the court during Andy's match :eek::eek:.
Glad you're back Re :hug: :kiss:

Deboogle!.
01-10-2008, 04:12 PM
WHAT THE CRAP?????? That's 131 F :sobbing:

Well at least we know Andy's fit :lol:

Tytta!.
01-10-2008, 04:21 PM
it was 42C yesterday and i almost fainted. 55C... I'd be dead.

Andrew :bowdown:

acoffeygirl
01-10-2008, 04:22 PM
Holy freaking hot. That just makes me want to curl up and die.

tangerine_dream
01-10-2008, 04:24 PM
Can somebody tell me what the new heat rule is at AO?

*edit*

Never mind, I found it.

Australian Open heat rules changed

December 1, 2007

MELBOURNE, Australia – Australian Open officials have amended the tournament's heat policy so that matches in progress when extreme conditions are declared won't have to be immediately finished.

Players in the Jan. 14-27 tournament at Melbourne Park will no longer have to complete matches that have started once the extreme heat rule is invoked, instead only having to complete the current set.

Previously, players who had just started a match had to complete it, even if it meant sweltering through a full three or five sets in extreme conditions.

In another change announced today, the decision to suspend play will be solely at the discretion of the tournament referee. Previously, Open organizers used a specific cutoff point, based on calculations of a set of weather readings that included court temperature and humidity.

Tournament director Craig Tiley said several top players from Australia and overseas had been consulted about the changes and the feedback was positive.

~*BGT*~
01-10-2008, 04:51 PM
A quick note before I run out of here, but I just read that it was 55C on the court during Andy's match :eek::eek:.
Glad you're back Re :hug: :kiss:

WHAT THE CRAP?????? That's 131 F :sobbing:

Well at least we know Andy's fit :lol:

it was 42C yesterday and i almost fainted. 55C... I'd be dead.

Andrew :bowdown:

Holy freaking hot. That just makes me want to curl up and die.

:eek: I'd be dead just looking at it. Good thing I can't find a live feed. :lol:

kaylee
01-10-2008, 05:11 PM
Hmm I must admit I have played when it has been 33 C on court and I play on clay but that is just ridiculous.

Awww poor Re.

Tytta!.
01-10-2008, 05:12 PM
:awww:

Fee
01-10-2008, 05:28 PM
*fangirls over Fee's Novak avatar* :hearts:

Thank you. It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling, but it may be time to change it with JMG coming back.

http://planetsmilies.net/tired-sleeping-smiley-33.gif

Was this in response to Tangy's post, my avatar, or just a random status update for your mood today? I am confused.

Tytta!.
01-10-2008, 05:29 PM
It was for Andy's boring score. ;)

Fee
01-10-2008, 05:34 PM
Well yeah, but a win is a win, even in an exo, and so far this is good prep for him. I'll take quick and boring, especially in this heat.

Tytta!.
01-10-2008, 05:35 PM
you didn't get my point ;) :rolls:

tangerine_dream
01-10-2008, 05:41 PM
I didn't get it either. What was the point you were trying to make? :confused:

----------

Andy news :dance:

Roddick keen for no "air conditioning" at Open
Bruce Matthews
January 11, 2008

EXPECT a frustration shout louder than Maria Sharapova's squeal if they close the roof on Andy Roddick for excessive heat over the next fortnight.

Roddick believes the indoor stadium conditions during the Australian Open penalise players, like himself, who prepare for Melbourne's weather extremes.

"I have never been a big fan of closing the roof. That's what you have two months to train for, to get yourself in shape," the world No. 6 said yesterday.

"I don't come to Australia to play tennis in air conditioning. I think it takes away from it a little bit and the court plays differently also.

"That's what you train for in the off-season, days like today and getting out in the heat.

"So, yeah, I would be a supporter of leaving it (the roof) open. But I know that they have a lot more to take into consideration, such as health considerations and so forth. So I can understand their position as well."

Roddick's post-Christmas toil under the Hawaiian sun helped propel him to a shot at a third consecutive Kooyong Classic title with a 6-3 6-3 win yesterday in a heavy slugging duel with Russian Marat Safin.

Roddick will play the winner of today's Fernando Gonzalez-Marcos Baghdatis match in tomorrow's final.

Scot Andy Murray yesterday clawed back from a set and 0-3 down to outlast Croatian Ivan Ljubicic 6-7 (6-8) 6-4 6-2.

"Today I wanted to come to the net a bit, volley and try to come forward. I didn't have too many chances to do it in the first set, but when I got down 3-9 in the second (set), I started coming in a lot and it worked well," Murray said.

"I want to be in the best shape possible for the Masters season and the grand slams because now I'm confident that I can go deep into the tournaments.

"It has been pretty much seven weeks preparing now. I spent four weeks in Florida training. The first couple were mainly fitness. Obviously, I wanted to go and train in Florida because of the weather. It's much better than training at home indoors."

Murray said he thought Plexicushion expanded the Wilson balls, offsetting any increased court speed.

"I think the court now is quite similar to the US Open and the only difference is that the ball at the US Open tends to go smaller, the fluff gets taken off it. Whereas here it gets bigger and slower," Murray, 20, said.

"I think that's why a lot of the guys said the court feels pretty slow because after four or five games, the balls start to get pretty big. But the surface itself, I think is a pretty fair court."

Safin had little sympathy for any talk of tennis balls becoming progressively slower on the new courts.

"I'm pretty sure the players who are talking like this are the ones who don't have so much power," he said.

"For sure, the balls are becoming big, but for players like me, Roddick, Roger (Federer), the ones who are hitting the ball pretty hard, I think these kind of balls suit their game.

"Otherwise it would be too fast because the courts are not slow. So we need to slow down the game somehow otherwise there would be no rallies and it would be boring for everyone."

Tytta!.
01-10-2008, 05:47 PM
bah can't be ironic here :p

Fee
01-10-2008, 06:05 PM

No, I didn't.

bah can't be ironic here :p

It was ironic? Now I'm even more confused.

Tytta!.
01-10-2008, 06:09 PM
bah nevermind :p

Fumus
01-10-2008, 06:31 PM
I actually agree with Andy (Andre said the same thing too about the heat policy)...these guys are professional athletes, part of that is fitness...and being the fitter guy, ya know, not necessarily just being the best tennis player.

kaylee
01-10-2008, 06:45 PM
good point Ryan and Re sadly irony doesn't translate on a forum.

Totally random, Noly has big feet!

Deboogle!.
01-10-2008, 06:52 PM
I think the point is that at some point, it becomes UNSAFE. As Andy himself even admitted, it's not about fitness. It's about heatstroke and also the spectators. I mean I can't imagine sitting there in that kind of heat. It's like, just because some players might be able to play in rain, they don't play b/c it's dangerous.

kaylee
01-10-2008, 07:08 PM
yayyyy Deb to the rescue :worship:

Kate87
01-10-2008, 07:09 PM
draw in three hours?:scratch: