hopman cup 2008 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

hopman cup 2008

Via
01-01-2008, 08:58 AM
yes, i suppose it's finally time to start a thread for it.

i've got good news and bad news!

... bad news is, the doubles highlight that i mentioned on the other thread, had been wiped out by my own stupidity.... it is now overwritten by another recording :sad: but that is not the end of the world, since nouf has offered you his match videos, right? ;)

... the good news is, arnaud was interviewed today on tv by a presenter, and i saw it. among the few things that he talked about,

he's tired and jet-lagged (giving excuse for not playing well in the first singles match?)
he's reminded about turning the big 3-0 (no one is letting him forget it) but he insists he likes playing and being out on court, and he hopes he's still playing at 35
he likes the new surface just as much as other hard courts

there's also some footage of last night's nye ball... a number of players were asked what 3 things they'd bring with them to a desert island (or something along those lines...) guess what arnaud wanted to bring... a wife :eek::haha::haha: is he getting desperate? hmmmm

ps. he looked very formal for the ball with a big black bow tie (not sure if he had a tuxedo on but that's possible) all he's lacking was a ring to propose to some lucky lady :haha:

Hangdog
01-01-2008, 10:12 AM

... bad news is, the doubles highlight that i mentioned on the other thread, had been wiped out by my own stupidity.... it is now overwritten by another recording :sad: but that is not the end of the world, since nouf has offered you his match videos, right? ;)
Wow, seems you weren't wasting your time during New Year's night :worship: Is your TV always on to catch Arnaud or you're having such a good luck? lol :yeah:
A pity Arnaud's post-doubles interview disappeared! It's not so often he is getting interviewed in English. But match videos is a perfect consolation indeed :)

he's reminded about turning the big 3-0 (no one is letting him forget it) but he insists he likes playing and being out on court, and he hopes he's still playing at 35

It reminds me of that Santoro video after Bercy, "55 and still playing" lol
there's also some footage of last night's nye ball... a number of players were asked what 3 things they'd bring with them to a desert island (or something along those lines...) guess what arnaud wanted to bring... a wife :eek::haha::haha: is he getting desperate? hmmmm
Euh??.. :eek: I'm afraid to ask what were the other things…
ps. he looked very formal for the ball with a big black bow tie (not sure if he had a tuxedo on but that's possible) all he's lacking was a ring to propose to some lucky lady :haha:
There is a picture on General: http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=6374347&postcount=1 Black buttons hmm.. Well, comparing to others it was not too bad.

Via
01-01-2008, 11:24 AM
emily (emilita) is doing a report and photo gallery on hopman cup, and she has a few photos from the france v argentina doubles http://atptenniszone.myphotoalbum.com/view_album.php?set_albumName=album03&page=2

website: http://www.geocities.com/atp_chica/The_Unofficial_ATP_Zone.html

bruno alert: i didn't remember that bruno is still having his head shaved. i hope arnaud isn't getting similar ideas (again) once the mercury soars.....

Via
01-01-2008, 11:32 AM
Wow, seems you weren't wasting your time during New Year's night :worship: Is your TV always on to catch Arnaud or you're having such a good luck? lol :yeah:
a long story... basically i've had it worked out that the special interviews and previous evening highlights are only shown during 'intermissions', so i set the recording for an hour or two using my best guess, and went out.... but yeah, i'm still watching more tv than usual this week lol

A pity Arnaud's post-doubles interview disappeared! It's not so often he is getting interviewed in English. But match videos is a perfect consolation indeed :)
well now, today's interview was even better, and also in english!

fabrice is a joker.... arnaud isn't joking cos it sounds more realistic!

there weren't other things for arnaud... he tried to think but came up with nothing else, so he said, that's it. (so all he could think of was getting a wife :o )

There is a picture on General: http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=6374347&postcount=1 Black buttons hmm.. Well, comparing to others it was not too bad.
thanks :worship: didn't know they were there. now i can see they all wore the same uniform. wait a minute, those were probably from last year too........ lol

higherlaw
01-01-2008, 05:58 PM
Thanks for everybody's hard work with pictures and updates! :worship:

Arnaud is wearing a tux and he's much more classic (that could be construed as veteran I suppose) than Novak...Jelena looks good, but Tatiana's stockings??

So, he's looking for a wife? Anyone out there available??:lol:

Looking forward to the match which will be shown live!

Thank you jirbkk for the pic below.

Hangdog
01-01-2008, 09:48 PM
a long story... basically i've had it worked out that the special interviews and previous evening highlights are only shown during 'intermissions', so i set the recording for an hour or two using my best guess, and went out.... but yeah, i'm still watching more tv than usual this week lol
Great job! :)

fabrice is a joker.... arnaud isn't joking cos it sounds more realistic!
That's good then that he was serious, so now there is a kind of an official reply to all the talks about his soon retirement :p

there weren't other things for arnaud... he tried to think but came up with nothing else, so he said, that's it. (so all he could think of was getting a wife :o )
Oh poor thing... Via, please, take care about him next week(s)!

Arnaud is wearing a tux and he's much more classic (that could be construed as veteran I suppose) than Novak...Jelena looks good, but Tatiana's stockings??
I wish there was a picture of Arnaud and Tatiana together :lol:

higherlaw
01-02-2008, 02:35 AM
Ok, who's that I just saw on TV holding up the "MARRY ME ARNAUD" sign???:haha:

VolandriFan
01-02-2008, 03:04 AM
Arnaud looks really yummy today. :lick: That lady was just a spectator, no one special (I think! :scared:) ;)

He's playing ok, but not close to his best.

higherlaw
01-02-2008, 03:48 AM
But is she an MTF member?

VolandriFan
01-02-2008, 03:52 AM
But is she an MTF member?

I don't think so, I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure it's not.

Via
01-02-2008, 05:11 AM
it wasn't me, or emily, i can tell you this much!

arnaud has no lack of choices lol the poor fellow just has to make up his mind.

higherlaw
01-02-2008, 02:34 PM

lol. She put a lot of effort into making that sign!

:mad:Silly me! What did I do? Stay up until 1:30am to watch that awful doubles match :mad: They should have won, especially with Jelena injured. It seemed to me that Arnaud and Tatiana didn't take it too seriously. The commentators kept remarking that Arnaud wasn't being "mean enough" to Jelena. He was giving her easy serves and hitting to Novak instead of her. Meanwhile, Novak was sending Tatiana hard serves. It didn't help that Arnaud made a lot of unforced errros, either. Possibily they thought they would easily win or that Jelena would eventually retire?:rolleyes:

The only good about staying up was that I was rewarded with an English interview!! I honestly always thought Arnaud had only passable English, but I was quite surprised that he is actually quite fluent.:cool:

:zzz:

Kezzi
01-02-2008, 06:28 PM

... the good news is, arnaud was interviewed today on tv by a presenter, and i saw it. among the few things that he talked about,

he's tired and jet-lagged (giving excuse for not playing well in the first singles match?)
he likes the new surface just as much as other hard courts

I'm happy he still wants to be playing at 35 :bounce:

And for the wife thing, shall I wrap him in a ribbon to give my sister as a present? I'm sure she'll have no problem with that at all :lol:

Kezzi
01-02-2008, 06:31 PM

Thanks for the pics :) It's weird seeing Djokovic with glasses, I'm still not used to it, makes him look older. And Arnaud's face at that picture :lol:

Cruising through the rest of the thread, I come across this: http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=6374409&postcount=15 :eek:

Kezzi
01-02-2008, 06:41 PM
emily (emilita) is doing a report and photo gallery on hopman cup, and she has a few photos from the france v argentina doubles http://atptenniszone.myphotoalbum.com/view_album.php?set_albumName=album03&page=2

website: http://www.geocities.com/atp_chica/The_Unofficial_ATP_Zone.html

bruno alert: i didn't remember that bruno is still having his head shaved. i hope arnaud isn't getting similar ideas (again) once the mercury soars.....
And I was hoping that after almost a year of not seeing them irl his beautiful hair would've grown back :sad: Is it a good hint to get him to sign a picture of him with a ponytail? :p Or just ask him when he lets his hair grow back (if I have the guts)? ;)

What do you mean with 'once the mercury soars' ?

Catchie
01-02-2008, 11:56 PM
:angel:So, he's looking for a wife? Anyone out there available??:lol:

I'm not available.... yet :angel:

Ok, who's that I just saw on TV holding up the "MARRY ME ARNAUD" sign???:haha:
That was me ;)
No i'm just kidding, Arnaud may be desperate but I'm not :rolleyes:

I'm happy he still wants to be playing at 35 :bounce:

And for the wife thing, shall I wrap him in a ribbon to give my sister as a present? I'm sure she'll have no problem with that at all :lol:
No problem at all :angel:
That would be great, and i'll give Bruno to you :lol: as a late birthday gift :p
Maybe we can kidnap them in Marseille.. ;)

I hope he still plays at 35... i think he will... in 2004 people were telling me he was going to quit and i refused to believe it, and guess who's still playing :) Feels so good to be right

And Arnaud's face at that picture :lol:

Cruising through the rest of the thread, I come across this: http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=6374409&postcount=15 :eek:
I think Arnaud looks a bit old in that picture...:confused:

And who is that person and where did he or she live? in a cave?

Last but not least: :aparty: Happy new year with lots of Arnaud ( and Bruno for my sis):aparty:

Catchie
01-03-2008, 12:25 AM
I just read the thread where you talk about the veteran stuff and i just thought of something: he just needs a much younger wife so she can keep him act and feel young :lol: Like someone who's 21 years old *hint* :angel: :haha:

Via
01-03-2008, 06:28 AM
lol. She put a lot of effort into making that sign!

:mad:Silly me! What did I do? Stay up until 1:30am to watch that awful doubles match :mad: They should have won, especially with Jelena injured. It seemed to me that Arnaud and Tatiana didn't take it too seriously. The commentators kept remarking that Arnaud wasn't being "mean enough" to Jelena. He was giving her easy serves and hitting to Novak instead of her. Meanwhile, Novak was sending Tatiana hard serves. It didn't help that Arnaud made a lot of unforced errros, either. Possibily they thought they would easily win or that Jelena would eventually retire?:rolleyes:

The only good about staying up was that I was rewarded with an English interview!! I honestly always thought Arnaud had only passable English, but I was quite surprised that he is actually quite fluent.:cool:

:zzz:
you must have got the same broadcast as we did over here. so, how many times had the word 'veteran' been used by commentators? lol

i can see why arnaud doesn't like playing mixed doubles... he doesn't like punishing the girls (or suffer the indignity that they may hit harder than he :lol: )

And I was hoping that after almost a year of not seeing them irl his beautiful hair would've grown back :sad: Is it a good hint to get him to sign a picture of him with a ponytail? :p Or just ask him when he lets his hair grow back (if I have the guts)? ;)

What do you mean with 'once the mercury soars' ?
mercury is the stuff inside thermometers ;)

I just read the thread where you talk about the veteran stuff and i just thought of something: he just needs a much younger wife so she can keep him act and feel young :lol: Like someone who's 21 years old *hint* :angel: :haha:
:rolls: i actually think that younger wives make older husbands look even older. not that the men realise that themselves :rolleyes:

i won't be surprised that arnaud's girlfriends will be progressively younger each time:devil:

Hangdog
01-03-2008, 07:18 AM
you must have got the same broadcast as we did over here. so, how many times had the word 'veteran' been used by commentators? lol

lol :devil:

Thank you a lot for the report and sorry that it was such an awful doubles match :hug: Well, yes, now it becomes clearer why Arnaud doesn’t like playing mixed. And not that I disagree with his point.

Via
01-03-2008, 07:58 AM
hopman cup is pretty much over for me. that fra v srb tie was also the only one that i watched live :o

my mind is now moving onto my home tournament :crazy:

Kezzi
01-03-2008, 11:08 AM

i can see why arnaud doesn't like playing mixed doubles... he doesn't like punishing the girls (or suffer the indignity that they may hit harder than he :lol: )

mercury is the stuff inside thermometers ;)

:rolls: i actually think that younger wives make older husbands look even older. not that the men realise that themselves :rolleyes:

i won't be surprised that arnaud's girlfriends will be progressively younger each time:devil:
Thanks, I never translated the Dutch word in English :p At least I learned something today, I've been doing useless things all day :p

Marine
01-03-2008, 01:50 PM
France Disappointed To Let Chance Slip
2/01/2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Chris Pike

FRANCE’s Tatiana Golovin and Arnaud Clement were bitterly disappointed not to capitalise on an injured Jelena Jankovic to beat Serbia, but remain alive to reach the final if Argentina knock off the No. 1 seed Serbians on Thursday night.

Golovin and Jankovic are among the hottest rising stars in tennis and the world No. 13 was disappointed the third ranked Serbian pulled out with an upper hamstring injury.

“I was really looking forward to the match against Jelena,” Golovin said.

“It was unfortunate she had to retire as the point of being here is to play as many matches against top players as you can. I hope she’s OK and I’m sure I’ll get many more chances to play against her.”

It looked as though France would be handed the tie when Jankovic retired from the singles match, but she returned for the doubles and put the French away in three sets.

After a tremendous opening tie doubles performance, Golovin and Clement couldn’t replicate that form despite Jankovic being on one leg.

“It’s always disappointing to lose, but when it’s this tight and you have chances to win even more so. I’m glad I got to play with Arnaud again, we have another tie to come and we are still alive,” she said.

“It’s almost impossible to play against an injured player. She was limping, hitting aces and winners, so it doesn’t make it easy to keep your concentration. As a professional, though, you have to learn to just focus on your own game.”

It was a disappointing singles result again for Clement, who also lost in straight sets to Argentina’s Juan Ignacio Chela on his return to the Hyundai Hopman Cup.

His doubles experience of 10 career titles guided France to a win over Argentina in its opening tie, but he admits to being off his game against the Serbians.

“My concentration wasn’t affected, but it is tough to play somebody who is injured,” Clement said.

“It’s also tough for the men in mixed doubles to play on the girl. When the girl is injured, it’s even more difficult. I didn’t have a good day, though, that’s for sure.”

France remains in contention for the final if it can beat Chinese Taipei on Thursday night and if Argentina beat Serbia.

I believe him, I don't understand how men play against girls in mixed doubles, so against an "injured" player... but he was too much stupid and nice with her since the lost !
He's too weak with girls, I don't think mixed double is a good competiion for him.

higherlaw
01-03-2008, 02:56 PM

Then who?

Kezzi
01-03-2008, 07:04 PM
Definitely not me, she doesn't look like 21 :p
(Almost posted 20, I still have to get used to my new age ;))

Marine
01-03-2008, 08:28 PM
Where did you find this picture ? lol

Via
01-03-2008, 09:01 PM
Then who?

a match made in heaven! he's desperate, she's desperate :tape:

btw a few years ago when arnaud played hopman cup, there was a female who did something similar... she might even have hugged him on court! what's happening to perth women? i thought sydney has a problem, we don't have enough (straight) men.

Marine
01-03-2008, 09:22 PM
Maybe it's the same woman ? lol Do you remember her face, Via ? :lol:

Via
01-03-2008, 09:51 PM
Maybe it's the same woman ? lol Do you remember her face, Via ? :lol:

that was in 2002 i think.... gee you would hope that one has found a husband by now! :lol:

higherlaw
01-03-2008, 10:56 PM
OMG, you two are making me laugh so hard!!

I used my cell phone to take a picture from my TV from the recording on my DVR. I don't have a way to copy what's recorded on the DVR to DVD. I'm thinking of trying to use the video on my cell phone to record the recording of Arnaud's English interview. IF it works, I'll post it here.

Kezzi
01-03-2008, 11:27 PM
OMG, you two are making me laugh so hard!!

I used my cell phone to take a picture from my TV from the recording on my DVR. I don't have a way to copy what's recorded on the DVR to DVD. I'm thinking of trying to use the video on my cell phone to record the recording of Arnaud's English interview. IF it works, I'll post it here.
Please do! :D
Even if you only get audio it'll make us all very happy, good luck! :hug:

Hangdog
01-04-2008, 06:50 AM
hopman cup is pretty much over for me. that fra v srb tie was also the only one that i watched live :o

my mind is now moving onto my home tournament :crazy:
Excitement is rising :bounce: (and why it takes so long to make the qualies draw?! lol)

I don't know if it's from the same broadcast of mixed doubles as you've got over there but here is a little video with post match comments of Tatiana and Arnaud from French TV: http://www.golovin-attitude.com/medias/videos/videos-interviews-saison-2008/
French and English speech in the same time, my ears :help:

Via
01-04-2008, 07:46 AM
Excitement is rising :bounce: (and why it takes so long to make the qualies draw?! lol)

it will come out later this evening, be patient:angel:

the women's qualifying has started today. i only just read the draw and order of play on the official site. camille is there :) maybe i should've gone, today should be the last day of sunshine before the rain arrives :(

higherlaw
01-04-2008, 03:03 PM

I don't know if it's from the same broadcast of mixed doubles as you've got over there but here is a little video with post match comments of Tatiana and Arnaud from French TV: http://www.golovin-attitude.com/medias/videos/videos-interviews-saison-2008/
French and English speech in the same time, my ears :help:

Yes, that's the same one! Thanks for linking it.

it will come out later this evening, be patient:angel:

the women's qualifying has started today. i only just read the draw and order of play on the official site. camille is there :) maybe i should've gone, today should be the last day of sunshine before the rain arrives :(

When are you going?

Via
01-05-2008, 06:00 AM
When are you going?

today :rain: it's not a great day for me. but anyway, it was free.

Kezzi
01-05-2008, 02:45 PM
today :rain: it's not a great day for me. but anyway, it was free.
It's also raining a lot on the other side of the world, you're not alone :hug:
Are qualies free there?
We even have to pay €10 for qualies in Rotterdam :rolleyes: