Who is going? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who is going?

El Legenda
01-01-2008, 02:01 AM
I am again :worship:

Fee will you be sitting behide my at Ljubo/Gonzo doubles match again?

Cobalt will you be stalking me in the AMAZING steakhouse again? :lol:

Eclectic Goddess
01-06-2008, 06:17 AM
Here I am, thinking that I must be the only one already thinking about Cincy, but no, you beat me to it.

We'll definitely be going again. The tickets are already bought (well, the deposit is paid), and we've already decided to switch hotels.

Apparently, they've redone all the box seats on Center. Although we're not sitting in them, I'm very curious to see how they look.

El Legenda
01-11-2008, 05:05 AM
im also going to Canada :) than flying to Cincy :) two weeks of tennis with a all access pass :drool:

savesthedizzle
01-11-2008, 05:20 AM
I'd like to go to Cincy again but I will have no days off left :lol:

TMJordan
01-15-2008, 03:57 PM
im also going to Canada :) than flying to Cincy :) two weeks of tennis with a all access pass :drool:

Then I will see you at the Ljubo match :wavey:

smitty8
02-09-2008, 02:15 PM
I just picked my seats yesterday, so I am officially going, my first time there. Just need to pick a hotel now. Any suggestions? Something decent, not too expensive, within 15 miles or so.

smitty8
06-11-2008, 12:23 PM
I just picked my seats yesterday, so I am officially going, my first time there. Just need to pick a hotel now. Any suggestions? Something decent, not too expensive, within 15 miles or so.

I got a hotel reservation, finally. Yes, I am a procrastinator, but at least I didn't wait until the week before to do it like I usually do.

cobalt60
06-12-2008, 05:43 PM
I am again :worship:

Fee will you be sitting behide my at Ljubo/Gonzo doubles match again?

Cobalt will you be stalking me in the AMAZING steakhouse again? :lol:

I wish I could. The gorgeous blonde twins who play tennis or otherwise known as TTTs are not going cuz I am not. Too much on my plate at the moment this summer and I am debating on meeting a friend at the USOpen.
Did you not tell me the steakhouse closed? :( Food was so good :drool:

Smoke944
06-13-2008, 05:06 PM
Me, I can't wait :cool:

smitty8
06-14-2008, 07:43 PM
Anyone been to the draw ceremony and dinner? Is it worth going to? Can you take in food/water (besides the one bottle they say on the website)? I know they say you're not allowed for another tourney I went to and I took in 4-5 bottles of water, sandwiches, snacks, as long as they weren't in a cooler and no one checking bags said anything.

MightyJurgenfan
06-16-2008, 01:45 PM
I will be there and have never met any of you. I do know cobalt and am sad she is not going. This will be my sixth year. As you can tell by my signature, I will be at Jurgen Melzer's matches for sure and all doubles mataches that involve Julian Knowle.

If you see an old lady hobbling along it will most likely be me.

cobalt60
06-17-2008, 12:07 AM
I will be there and have never met any of you. I do know cobalt and am sad she is not going. This will be my sixth year. As you can tell by my signature, I will be at Jurgen Melzer's matches for sure and all doubles mataches that involve Julian Knowle.

Have a wonderful time as usual. Still a favorite tournie for me :yeah: I will miss you this year :hug:

Smoke944
06-20-2008, 05:33 PM

I was at Jurgen's match with Ancic last year when he won after saving atleast 1 MP that I remember of, awesome match :D

Eclectic Goddess
06-21-2008, 04:44 AM
Anyone been to the draw ceremony and dinner? Is it worth going to? Can you take in food/water (besides the one bottle they say on the website)? I know they say you're not allowed for another tourney I went to and I took in 4-5 bottles of water, sandwiches, snacks, as long as they weren't in a cooler and no one checking bags said anything.

I go to the draw party every year, and it's interesting, at least. The food and drink is plentiful (if not very vegetarian friendly) and if nothing else, it's a great way to kick off the tournament.

As for the food and bottles of water you want to take in, they are really strict. I actually had a guy make me pour out my ice cubes last year! I was pissed, needless to say. They do search the bags, and the only food I've tried to take in was well concealed, so I don't know how they'd react to say, a sandwich. Likely, you'd have to eat it or lose it. That's one of my few, but biggest, complaints about the tournament.

Eclectic Goddess
06-24-2008, 04:49 AM
Talked to someone from the ticketing office last weekend, and she said that the series tickets were sent to the post office on Friday, which means they should start arriving late this week. I can't wait!

LaTenista
06-25-2008, 02:43 AM
I've been at the tournament every year since 2002 - helps that I live less than 5 miles from the site - and I've managed to smuggle in grapes, granola bars, energy bars, and a banana.

Yes the Brazilian steakhouse has been closed for months but they haven't taken the name off the building yet. :shrug:

I'll miss Sue and the twins - didn't meet Fee nor Jerry last year.

Barbara I've met you a couple of times over the years.

The weather has been relatively cool with lots of sudden storms - not sure if in a month's time we will back to the 90s with constant sun and humidity or not. Will be strange having the tournament so early this year. Anyhow since I'm a townie let me know if you have any questions or need help.

smitty8
06-26-2008, 01:56 AM
I go to the draw party every year, and it's interesting, at least. The food and drink is plentiful (if not very vegetarian friendly) and if nothing else, it's a great way to kick off the tournament.

As for the food and bottles of water you want to take in, they are really strict. I actually had a guy make me pour out my ice cubes last year! I was pissed, needless to say. They do search the bags, and the only food I've tried to take in was well concealed, so I don't know how they'd react to say, a sandwich. Likely, you'd have to eat it or lose it. That's one of my few, but biggest, complaints about the tournament.

Thank you! Very helpful! Sounds like they are picky about the food and drink thing. And thanks for the info on the tickets, I was about to call them myself. :wavey:

smitty8
06-26-2008, 02:00 AM
I've been at the tournament every year since 2002 - helps that I live less than 5 miles from the site - and I've managed to smuggle in grapes, granola bars, energy bars, and a banana.

Ahh, thanks, maybe I can get in a granola bar or two. ;) Sounds more strict than the Legg Mason tourney, for sure. I figure I can at least get a bottle of water, then take in those flavor packets and just refill at a sink or water fountain and that's fine with me. I have to be cheep since I'm spending all my money on gas to and from Ohio :eek:

smitty8
06-27-2008, 12:24 PM
Tickets are arriving. Warning: there is a signature confirmation on these series ticket packages, so if someone isn't home to sign for it, you have to probably pick them up at the post office, which is where I am about to go.

ThePunisher23
06-27-2008, 04:42 PM
I go pretty much every year, but I'm on the fence this year because of the Olympics...how many players do you think are going to skip Cincy to head over a bit early for the olympics?...i really hope the top guys stay for this tournament but in the past a lot of the best have lost early because of the back to back situation with the canadian masters...since the olympics are happening this year, in addition to everything else, the players may be looking ahead to the US open and not wanting to risk getting burned out before the major...seems like Cincy is right in the middle and a possible skipper for the best players...i really want to go, but i don't want to be there if none of the best are there...what do you guys think.

My feeling is the top guys play the canadian masters and then skip cincy and head over to the olympics and then head back to new york for the open...

MightyJurgenfan
07-03-2008, 12:47 PM
I hope you are wrong. I have always enjoyed watching the top players.

Had to drive all the way to the next town to pick up my tickets. My town only has a branch office so had to go to the main one.

For me, I hope it is cooler this year. I lived in First Aid last year because of the heat.

Eclectic Goddess
07-04-2008, 05:19 AM
Ahh, thanks, maybe I can get in a granola bar or two. ;) Sounds more strict than the Legg Mason tourney, for sure. I figure I can at least get a bottle of water, then take in those flavor packets and just refill at a sink or water fountain and that's fine with me. I have to be cheep since I'm spending all my money on gas to and from Ohio :eek:

That's exactly what we do! We also smuggle in Cliff bars and other small snacks, but they definitely need to be concealed in order to get past the gate.

smitty8
07-04-2008, 02:11 PM
Hmmm, small boxes of raisins might work too. I'll figure out something, my purses usually have a bunch of little pockets in them. If I can get in a hard boiled egg, that might be an accomplishment, lol.

LaTenista
07-04-2008, 02:42 PM
http://www.atptennis.com/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=http://www.atptennis.com/posting/2004/422/mds.pdf
The withdraws were Coria and Nalbandian back in 2004. It was a week of high quality tennis, I was there every day from qualies through the final. There is a week between Cincy & the Olympics, just like in 2004.

Smoke944
07-04-2008, 03:51 PM
I go pretty much every year, but I'm on the fence this year because of the Olympics...how many players do you think are going to skip Cincy to head over a bit early for the olympics?...i really hope the top guys stay for this tournament but in the past a lot of the best have lost early because of the back to back situation with the canadian masters...since the olympics are happening this year, in addition to everything else, the players may be looking ahead to the US open and not wanting to risk getting burned out before the major...seems like Cincy is right in the middle and a possible skipper for the best players...i really want to go, but i don't want to be there if none of the best are there...what do you guys think.

My feeling is the top guys play the canadian masters and then skip cincy and head over to the olympics and then head back to new york for the open...

Nope, it will be just fine :)

smitty8
07-12-2008, 05:30 PM
I just heard from a friend of mine and she cannot go to the Draw Party on Friday July 25, so I will have an extra ticket for that and the seniors matches that night. PM me if you are interested in 1 ticket.

FedAndNad
07-14-2008, 06:56 PM
going for first time

Also looking for hotel, cheap and close. Suggestions? Thanks.

Eclectic Goddess
07-15-2008, 04:41 AM
going for first time

Well, there's cheap, and then there's close. Finding the two together...good luck. The cheapest hotels are at least 30 minutes from the tournament grounds, largely along 71 to the South, but if you want to spend more, there are a few hotels within walking distance (not that you'd want to walk - no sidewalks). The real problem you'll be facing if you try to find a hotel now is that many of them will be booked solid. Between Kings Island, the Beach, and the tournament, it's their busiest season.

Eclectic Goddess
07-15-2008, 05:18 AM
Okay, realized that my previous post was completely unhelpful.

The best value on hotels falls into the cheap but not close category, namely the ExtendedStay chain. There are two about 30 minutes South of the tournament grounds, and both have rooms with kitchens, so you can stock up on food and the like to save even more money. They are reasonably clean and safe, though without many frills. But how much time are you really going to spend in your hotel room anyway? Their website. (http://http://www.extendedstayhotels.com/Locations/HotelList.asp?lstate=OH&lmetroid=179)

For close, you're best off trying the Best Western. I couldn't find an "offical" site for them, but here's (http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=best+western&near=Mason,+OH&fb=1&cid=0,0,5252698491569864852&sa=X&oi=local_result&resnum=1&ct=image) their google listing.

There also the Kings Island Resort. Same problem as the Best Western, but again, here's (http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=best+western&near=Mason,+OH&fb=1&cid=0,0,5252698491569864852&sa=X&oi=local_result&resnum=1&ct=image) their google listing.

FedAndNad
07-16-2008, 04:38 PM
I can't seem to open the Media Kit for Cincinnati, either because I am stupid or because I don't have adobe acrobat reader.

If someone can find the text of the Media Kit somewhere and post it here that would be great. Thanks.

Fee
07-17-2008, 03:23 AM
I was at the Ancic-Melzer match for a bit last year. Kind of sad I'm not going this year.

I was able to get a bit of food and a rubbermaid bottle filled with ice in every day last year without any problems (the food was just a banana and an apple). I always opened my bag, showed them my towel and my hat and said 'I'm prepared for the heat and humidity' and they nodded and let me in.

Allez-Alejo
07-17-2008, 03:47 AM
The senior citizen gate keepers are pretty easy going...I've just put a sandwich and waters underneath other things in my backpack and it has never been a problem.

Allez-Alejo
07-17-2008, 03:53 AM
going for first time

The next exit further South on 71...where the players hotel is, has plenty of decently priced hotels...there are also plenty of good food options on that exit as well. Also, if you're looking for autographs or player pictures go to the Marriott on Saturday or Sunday evening when many are just hanging out...over the years I've gotten a ton on the weekend like Nadal, Safin, Ferrer, Murray and others...and some will even chat with you in the lobby.

Allez-Alejo
07-17-2008, 03:54 AM
I was at the Ancic-Melzer match for a bit last year. Kind of sad I'm not going this year.

I was able to get a bit of food and a rubbermaid bottle filled with ice in every day last year without any problems (the food was just a banana and an apple). I always opened my bag, showed them my towel and my hat and said 'I'm prepared for the heat and humidity' and they nodded and let me in.

Tat was a great win by Jurgen....and a great live match on Court 1.

Fitz
07-18-2008, 10:17 AM
I've attended the tourney twice but I still have a question. Is Cincy friendly or strict with bringing SLR's in? I don't have any huge lenses, but I know some tournaments are afraid fans will snap better pictures than the paid photographers. :p

cobalt60
07-18-2008, 12:24 PM
I've attended the tourney twice but I still have a question. Is Cincy friendly or strict with bringing SLR's in? I don't have any huge lenses, but I know some tournaments are afraid fans will snap better pictures than the paid photographers. :p

I am guessing but I bet they are strict. Don't remember seeing any folks other than pros with SLR's.
And I have this week off as a last minute need to not work ( burn out) so now I wish I was going. Oh well. Lots of other stuff to do ;)

Have a great time Isa and Barbara :yeah: Sorry I will miss you this year.

Fee
07-20-2008, 06:20 PM
I did see one particular guy walking around with an SLR last year, but I have to admit that other than him I just wasn't paying that much attention. I say go for it, you should be okay.

MightyJurgenfan
07-23-2008, 12:52 PM
We will miss you Sue. Wish you could change your mind and come.

About the camera, I have a friend who brings a long lens. He has trouble getting it into the states a few years back, but last year he had it with him in Cincy and did not have a problem.

Fitz
07-23-2008, 10:39 PM
Ok, thanks for the feedback guys! :wavey:

Plus, they have no camera policy on their site posted anywhere, well that I didn't see, so I think it should be fine. :D

Regenbogen
07-23-2008, 10:45 PM
I have tickets for the whole tournament and I don't currently remember where I'm staying :o but they have a shuttle so that should be nice.

I think I was in the front row for that match. :lol:

MightyJurgenfan
07-24-2008, 07:16 PM
I was in the front row also. Good win for Jurgen.. I am sad he will not be here this year.

clintdurden
07-25-2008, 01:52 PM
I shall be there with bells on ... well, without the bells - chair ump and players wouldn't like that.

Anyone going to qualifying this weekend or the draw today?

smitty8
07-25-2008, 10:46 PM
I shall be there with bells on ... well, without the bells - chair ump and players wouldn't like that.

Anyone going to qualifying this weekend or the draw today?

I'm here in my hotel room in Cincy right now. I was going to go to the draw today, but ran late and had a few other things happen, including hurting my back again, so I am staying right here for now and resting. I might go to the qualies tomorrow, depending on how my back feels.

Fee
07-26-2008, 05:51 PM
I'm here in my hotel room in Cincy right now. I was going to go to the draw today, but ran late and had a few other things happen, including hurting my back again, so I am staying right here for now and resting. I might go to the qualies tomorrow, depending on how my back feels.

:sad: Now I really wish I was going. I would like to meet you and watch a match with you. :)

Have a great time, wear your sunscreen. :hug:

smitty8
07-27-2008, 12:25 AM
Awww, Fee, for that I will send you some Gimelstob photos from WTT (that is, when I get the darn card reader working). One day, we will hang out. I am also going to the Washington tourney and Labor day weekend at US Open. That is all this year because I think I'll be broke after that, lol.
I went today, got there later than I wanted, kinda kept driving around and missing my turns, but I finally made it to the tennis center. I was hoping to see some qualifying matches, only caught the end of the second set for Oudesma and Odesnik and the end of the second set for Bastl and Kuznetsov. I spent most of the time at the practice courts. I was walking around trying to get my bearings and Feliciano Lopez walked out of a building and out to a car (I think). Then I had my deja vu moment when I walked right up to a practice court to see Safin and Haas practicing (exactly the pair I saw in my first few minutes in Washington last year). Roddick walked past me onto that court since he was next up to practice with Benneteau. I also saw a bit of Isner, enough to get a few photos. The day is a bit of a blur after that, it was humid, I saw Stepanek and Berdych practice, a bit of Federer and Haas practice later on. There was quite a downpour not long after that, then I hung around to see the doubles draw and now I am back in my hotel suite, freshly showered and eating dinner while watching Nadal and Murray on tv.