Rafa in Chennai - Let's Kick This Season Off Right! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Rafa in Chennai - Let's Kick This Season Off Right!

RogiRafaFan86
12-26-2007, 10:45 PM
The ATP's joke of an off season is just about over. Rafa will be traveling to Chennai this Thursday (the 27th). The tournament starts on the 31st.

Rafa bombed out in the Semis in Chennai last season, so he can pick up some points, and hopefully his first title of the season.

He'll most likely be playing doubles with his friend Tomeu Salva-Vidal (who has also gotten a WC for the singles draw - Merry Christmas from Rafa, lol). They got to the final last season, so maybe they can do one better this year.

Here's the schedule for the draws for the tournament:

Main draw: Saturday, December 29, 2007, 3:00 p.m.
Doubles draw: Saturday, December 29, 2007, 6:00 p.m.

*Those are local times (IST), of course.

Sunset of Age
12-26-2007, 11:00 PM
Let's hope he'll do well in Chennai, and get back well in the routine of playing tournaments to gain confidence for the AO. Vamos, Rafa! :hug:

Lopaka
12-27-2007, 02:31 AM
All the interpretations of the 2007 season and predictions for 2008 are starting to look the same. It's time to see if the player promises turn into some good tennis.

With a good start in Chennai and extra practice in Melbourne I'm going to be looking forward to Rafa having a successful AO. :bigclap::bigclap::bigclap:

MariaV
12-27-2007, 07:52 AM
Good that the offseason will be over. I've kind of started to miss top class tennis already. Buena suerte en 2008, Rafa! :banana: :yippee: :bigclap: :bounce:

Xristos
12-27-2007, 03:38 PM
Vamooooooooos!

l_mac
12-27-2007, 08:53 PM
You better still be in the tournament when I get back from holiday, Rafa.

Xristos
12-29-2007, 09:16 AM
Any pics yet?

RogiRafaFan86
12-29-2007, 02:02 PM
Here's the Singles Draw:

[1] NADAL, Rafael ESP vs MONTCOURT, Mathieu FRA
QUALIFIER vs SCHUKIN, Yuri RUS
QUALIFIER vs GARCIA-LOPEZ, Guillermo ESP
[WC] SALVA-VIDAL, Bartolome ESP vs [7] ESCHAUER, Werner AUT

[3] MOYA, Carlos ESP vs GABASHVILI, Teimuraz RUS
QUALIFIER vs [WC] AMRITRAJ, Prakash IND
NAVARRO, Ivan ESP vs SERRA, Florent FRA
VLIEGEN, Kristof BEL vs [8] GICQUEL, Marc FRA

[6] MELZER, Jurgen AUT vs CAPDEVILLE, Paul CHI
MULLER, Gilles LUX vs MALISSE, Xavier BEL
ROGER-VASSELIN, Edouard FRA vs [WC] VARDHAN, Vishnu IND
VANEK, Jiri CZE vs [4] YOUZHNY, Mikhail RUS

[5] MAHUT, Nicolas FRA vs GREMELMAYR, Denis GER
CILIC, Marin CRO vs TROICKI, Viktor SRB
QUALIFIER vs ASCIONE, Thierry FRA
HAASE, Robin NED vs [2] BAGHDATIS, Marcos CYP

And the Doubles Draw can be found here:

http://www.atptennis.com/1/posting/2008/891/mdd.pdf

Rafa and Tomeu Salva-Vidal play Baghdatis & Gicquel in their first round match.

Here's to a good week for Rafa!

Xristos
12-29-2007, 02:34 PM
VAMOOS!

Take this!

linus
12-29-2007, 05:06 PM
Come on everyone here, of course, Rafa first :cool:

Xristos
12-29-2007, 05:13 PM
Any pics yet?

Sunset of Age
12-29-2007, 05:16 PM
Looks like a decent draw for Rafa.

Xristos
12-29-2007, 05:31 PM
Looks like a decent draw for Rafa.

Seems that way.

Hopefully first title of 08 is very soon.

Johnny Groove
12-29-2007, 05:32 PM
He better not fuck this up.

This title is his for the taking.

Sunset of Age
12-29-2007, 05:33 PM
Seems that way.

Hopefully first title of 08 is very soon.

I honestly can't see any of these opponents taking this title away from him - as long as he stays healthy of course.

Xristos
12-29-2007, 06:35 PM
Of course ;)

Metis
12-29-2007, 10:37 PM
I honestly can't see any of these opponents taking this title away from him - as long as he stays healthy of course.

I don't mean to be pessimistic (that's someone else's job :p) but I'm sure we believed the same thing this time last year.
That being said Rafa's quarter is ridiculous :lol:.

Sunset of Age
12-30-2007, 01:01 AM
I don't mean to be pessimistic (that's someone else's job :p) but I'm sure we believed the same thing this time last year.
That being said Rafa's quarter is ridiculous :lol:.

Pretty clear that if all's right with Rafa, this tournament is HIS, no? :D

Xristos
12-30-2007, 03:17 PM
So does Rafa play today?

RogiRafaFan86
12-30-2007, 04:11 PM
So does Rafa play today?

It doesn't start until tomorrow, the 31st (Monday). And no, Rafa will not play until at least Tuesday, possibly Wednesday.

He will, however, play his first round doubles match with Tomeu tomorrow. They are the 2nd match on Center Court, with the first match starting at 5 PM local time.

Castafiore
12-30-2007, 05:50 PM
I could have sworn that a poster (with the Indian flag) wrote a little report from a training session with Rafa somewhere in here. :scratch:

The post is deleted by the looks of it. :sad: In case, you're reading this (sorry, didn't catch your username):
you said that you were going to see the doubles tomorrow: another (little) report would be appreciated
(but please don't delete it...I'm out of the country for a couple of days so I won't be able to snatch your report before deletion)

NaDALiTa
12-30-2007, 06:21 PM
I hope the double will help him to reach his full fitness!!!The first round could be tricky (i know it sounds ridiculous) but sometimes French dudes can play awsome and the day after play crap,you never know!

Vamos Rafa :bounce:

Xristos
12-30-2007, 06:36 PM
It doesn't start until tomorrow, the 31st (Monday). And no, Rafa will not play until at least Tuesday, possibly Wednesday.

He will, however, play his first round doubles match with Tomeu tomorrow. They are the 2nd match on Center Court, with the first match starting at 5 PM local time.

Hopefully we get pics..

Tnn74
12-31-2007, 08:01 AM
Finally... he's back in action again...
Vamos Rafa!!! :bigclap:

RogiRafaFan86
12-31-2007, 02:57 PM
Well Rafa & Tomeu lost their first round doubles match against Baggy and Gicquel: 4-6, 4-6.

It was pretty evenly matched. Rafa & Tomeu just couldn't take advantage of the bp's they had. And Rafa's serve was broken twice, but not because he was serving poorly. That's just how doubles goes sometimes.

Let's hope Rafa has better luck in his opening singles match!

MariaV
12-31-2007, 06:25 PM
Duhh! :(
Thanks for the report RRFan! :wavey:
And guess what, Rafa is up 2nd on Centre Court tomorrow. :eek: :eek: VAMOS! :banana: :bigclap: :yippee:

CENTRE COURT
Matches Start At: 5:00 PM
Robin HAASE (NED) vs Marcos BAGHDATIS (CYP)

followed by
Rafael NADAL (ESP) vs Mathieu MONTCOURT (FRA)

Lord Carlos is playing on Centre after Rafa.

MariaV
01-01-2008, 03:05 PM
NOT well start Rafa! :rolleyes:
He beat Mathieu Montcourt 6-2 6-4 but it took him 1 h 37 min. :tape: And he lost his serve while serving for the match at 6-2 5-2. :mad: I do NOT like this, and against players like Montcourt. :mad: He had at least 4 MPs in this game I think. He simply cannot close out matches any more. :(

RogiRafaFan86
01-01-2008, 03:15 PM
It was his first match of the year, so rust is normal. Could have been worse, Baggy lost his first match of the year.

I wouldn't take too much from it. If he keeps playing like that, then it's time to worry.

He did play much more aggressive on the return, which was great to see. But he needs to be aggressive on his serve as well. He won just about all of the points when he was hitting the ball deep.

I'm not panicking yet. He won the match, which is what matters most. We'll see how the next match goes. He has to play his way into the season. That's just how he is.

MariaV
01-01-2008, 03:17 PM
Let's hope you're right. :wavey: Sure no need to panic yet.

At least he got some doubles practice yesterday already so he shouldn't be too rusty. :tape:
VAMOS! :banana: :yippee: :bigclap:

Xristos
01-01-2008, 05:00 PM
Vamoooos!

Not sure about the outfit tho..

MariaV
01-01-2008, 05:33 PM
http://eurosport.yahoo.com/01012008/58/atp-tour-nadal-begins-year-victory.html

ATP Tour - Nadal begins year with victory
Eurosport - Tue, 01 Jan 16:06:00 2008

Spanish world number two Rafael Nadal overcame late resistance to reach the Chennai Open second round but second-seeded Cypriot Marcos Baghdatis was knocked out.

Top seed Nadal defeated Mathieu Montcourt 6-2 6-4 after the tenacious French baseliner broke his serve and engaged him in long rallies in the final stages.

Baghdatis, world number 16 and a 2006 Australian Open finalist, went down 6-3 6-4 to unseeded Dutchman Robin Haase, leaving his preparations for the year's first grand slam in tatters.

Montcourt, 22, featuring in the main draw of an ATP event only for the sixth time, grew in confidence in the final stages against French Open champion Nadal, who lost in the doubles first round on Monday.

"In the end I had to play better to finish the match," Nadal said. "He fought a lot and I made some mistakes."

He next faces qualifier Rajeev Ram, an American player of Indian origin, who defeated Russian Yuri Schukin 7-6 7-6.

MariaV
01-02-2008, 06:55 PM
I might as well continue my monologue in this thread. :D

Rafa's up 2nd on Centre tomorrow. VAMOS!!!! :banana: :bigclap: :yippee:

CENTRE COURT
Matches Start At: 5:00 PM
Nicolas MAHUT (FRA) vs Marin CILIC (CRO)
followed by
Rafael NADAL (ESP) vs Rajeev RAM (USA)

Metis
01-02-2008, 11:29 PM
I might as well continue my monologue in this thread. :D

:hug: :wavey:

So, does anyone know of a good livestream for Chennai? I noticed in the GM thread for Rafa's first match that some people had detailed comments and therefore had watched it live. I couldn't find anything working well that day though...

MariaV
01-03-2008, 02:59 PM
Thanks Metis! :hug:
Did MTF have a meltdown again after Rafa's yet another brilliant win 6-2 6-1? :lol:
At least MTF is annoyingly slow for me so I'm out of here. Take care people! :wavey:

Edit: And no, I don't have any Chennai livestream. I'm going home some time soon hopefully to catch some Doha action. :wavey:

Castafiore
01-03-2008, 03:04 PM
Did MTF have a meltdown again after Rafa's yet another brilliant win 6-2 6-1? :lol:
Not exactly since the general consensus is that Bilbo's grandmother would have been able to do more against Rafa than Ram. ;)

cmurray
01-03-2008, 03:43 PM
Not exactly since the general consensus is that Bilbo's grandmother would have been able to do more against Rafa than Ram. ;)

Well..it IS Bilbo's grandmother, after all.... I hear she's quite good. ;)

Xristos
01-03-2008, 04:16 PM
Great start to the season indeed.

Sunset of Age
01-03-2008, 09:24 PM
Great start to the season indeed.

He's already commented he feels 100%, and so far it's looking good pretty good how he's doing - but I guess we'll have to wait for him to play a real HC-opponent (no offense to Mr. Ram, but sorry - he's no match to Rafa in any way or form) before we can draw any conclusions for his chances at the AO.
If Youzhny manages to raise his playing level (because his first match was pretty BAD), perhaps that might say something. Or Malisse, for that matter.

MariaV
01-04-2008, 08:10 AM
Karin! :wavey:
Yes indeed, it could be the final vs Youzhny. :o :scared:
Would be lovely to have semis vs Lord Carlos before that. :D :angel:

For those who'd like some quote4s/reports:
Nadal cruises into Chennai quarter-finals
Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:58pm GMT

By N.Ananthanarayanan

CHENNAI, India (Reuters) - Top seeded Spaniard Rafael Nadal brushed aside American qualifier Rajeev Ram 6-2 6-1 to cruise into the Chennai Open quarter-finals on Thursday.

The French Open champion and world number two staved off two break points in the fifth game of the second set before ending the mild challenge of his 26-year-old rival of Indian origin.

Nadal broke his opponent in the sixth game before serving out for the match under light drizzle, adding momentum to his build-up for the Australian Open starting on January 14.

The Spaniard was pleased with his early season form.

"It was too windy today and it was difficult to get the rhythm," Nadal told reporters. "But it was important to win without much problems.

"The court was a little bit fast, but I'm playing better than last year."

He will next face compatriot Guillermo Garcia-Lopez after the unseeded player upset seventh seed Werner Eschauer, rallying to win 4-6 7-5 7-6.

Croatian teenager Marin Cilic, ranked 71 in the world, knocked out fifth seed Nicolas Mahut of France 6-2 6-4 in a clash between two tall and aggressive players.

The 19-year-old twice beat Russian world number four Nikolay Davydenko and broke into the top 100 in ATP rankings for the first time in 2007.

Cilic will face Robin Haase of Netherlands, who had defeated Cyriot second seed Marcos Baghdatis in the opening round.

The Dutch number one defeated Croatia's Lovro Zovko 6-1 7-5.

In the other quarter-finals, Spanish twice former winner Carlos Moya, the third seed, will play unseeded Frenchman Florent Serra with defending champion Xavier Malisse of Belgium taking on Russian number two Mikhail Youzhny, the fourth seed.

(Reporting by N.Ananthanarayanan, editing by Justin Palmer)

http://uk.reuters.com/article/tennisNews/idUKDEL6350520080103

MariaV
01-04-2008, 08:16 AM
Here from the ATP site.

Nadal Fires into QFs; Garcia-Lopez Next

Top-seeded Rafael Nadal (pictured) booked his place in the Chennai Open quarterfinals with a comprehensive 6-2, 6-1 victory over American qualifier Rajeev Ram in 69 minutes on Thursday.

Nadal produced an all-round performance - winning 35 of 45 points on serve and 22 of 43 return points - to overwhelm the World No. 252 in the pair's first meeting. He served out the first set in light drizzle. Last year the 21-year-old reached the semifinals (l. to eventual champion Malisse).

"I don't know if I'm at the top of my game yet but I'm comfortable on court.," said Nadal. "The court is a little faster and it was little windy today. The match was tougher than the score says, but I'm happy with the way I'm playing. He was playing some volleys, making some mistakes; I was not getting rhythm on my game. It is the first tournament of the season and I want to do well. I am not thinking about the Australian Open yet."

http://www.atptennis.com/1/en/2008news/chennai_thursday.asp

Sunset of Age
01-05-2008, 06:02 AM
Seeing how all of his possible opponents are doing, I guess Raf will even get this title while playing right-handed, both knees bandaged, and having to endure a severe attack of hemmarroids, :lol:

Nah, no kidding: this title is Raf's, and WELL DESERVED, señor! :lol: :kiss:

cc2monac
01-05-2008, 05:54 PM
rafa won an incredible match vs moya 6/7 7/6 7/6! this match was just too much of everything! too great to watch it! congrats to rafa for making it to the final and best of luck to you!
a huge congrats to carlos too! this match is one of the best I ever seen in my life! SPECTACULAR!

Pamqnx
01-05-2008, 07:33 PM
Seeing how all of his possible opponents are doing, I guess Raf will even get this title while playing right-handed, both knees bandaged, and having to endure a severe attack of hemmarroids, :lol:

Too bad Moya was playing left-handed today.:)

MariaV
01-05-2008, 09:56 PM
Wow, so optimistic people here. :lol:
I am not so sure how well Rafa will recover for tomorrow. :o Lord Carlos was simply incredible today. :eek: :eek: :hatoff:
Misha had it much easier today. Anyway, VAMOS Rafa mañana! :banana: :bigclap: :bounce:
That's been already some decent preparation for the AO. And I hope he won't be too disappointed if he loses tomorrow. Even if I'm not the biggest fan of Misha he's a fair guy on court, seems to be in a good shape so it'll be a good test for Rafa to see where he stands at the moment.

Sunset of Age
01-05-2008, 10:01 PM
Wow, I feel so bad for missing Raf´s match against Moya... must´ve been a real cracker.

Yep, I agree Maria / tomorrow will be a real test for Raf. If he gets that title, that will bode very well for the AO.

Castafiore
01-05-2008, 10:13 PM
Yep, I agree Maria / tomorrow will be a real test for Raf. If he gets that title, that will bode very well for the AO.
:scratch:

Wait, Karin, you're getting me confused for minute here.

In GM, you wrote:
That's why I don't read too much in Raf's final/victory in Chennai as for his chances at the AO - there were hardly any players around that could've really troubled him. And Moya is surely not among those.

Bit of a contrast, that (at least, that's how it comes across to me but maybe I'm not following what you mean)

MariaV
01-05-2008, 10:21 PM
Well, it was nice to start with not the top opponents right away to get gradually back into match play again. Seems like Rafa is not always good coming back to competition again after a longer break.
Today's long match was also good ahead of the best-of-5 matches at the AO - that's the positive I see from today's match. ;)

Sunset of Age
01-05-2008, 10:45 PM

In GM, you wrote:

Bit of a contrast, that (at least, that's how it comes across to me but maybe I'm not following what you mean)

You are entirely right, I should've further elaborated on my comment here. With my saying that 'it will bode well for the AO', I meant that in terms of 'doing very well for Raf's confidence, first tourney, first title', like that.

My post in GM was sort-of directed to those who now already consider him a lock-in for doing well at the AO, which IMHO is too optimistic. The tourney in Chennai is something completely different from the AO, let's face it. That's all. Sorry for the confusion. ;)

Sunset of Age
01-05-2008, 10:51 PM
Well, it was nice to start with not the top opponents right away to get gradually back into match play again. Seems like Rafa is not always good coming back to competition again after a longer break.
Today's long match was also good ahead of the best-of-5 matches at the AO - that's the positive I see from today's match. ;)

Yep, and I'm sure it will do him very good knowing that his knees held up during that nearly-four-hours match, especially if he wins the title tomorrow. That will surely make him feel more confident.

But still... the AO is something completely different and I maintain my point of view that I think we should be careful with expecting too much (i.e. certified (semi-)finalist) from him there. As good a player as Mr. Moya is, he's no Murray, Djokovich or Nalby (anymore), just to mention a few. And while I didn't see the match myself (and thus should really shut up about it by my own standards :p), I read that he was playing very far behind the baseline again... not going to work at the AO I think. At least he's aware of that, so let's hope he'll indeed do well there!

MariaV
01-05-2008, 11:05 PM
Of course the AO is going to be something totally different and I'm not expecting anything either.

Well, he was receiving quite OK at the start when he was fresh actually, but this BP conversion 2/17 (12%) doesn't look good. :o Yes, all credit to Moya for playing the big points really well but still ... :tape:

And I was not happy with his serving either but that might also be due to the fact that they both know & read each other's game so well so he wasn't forcing it. :shrug: Twice he deceived Moya, Carlos had already moved a bit to the left to run around (/behind ?) his forehand and Rafa then served to the right. :lol:

MariaV
01-05-2008, 11:09 PM
Nadal Outbattles Moya to Set Up Youzhny Final

Spaniard Rafael Nadal outlasted former mentor Carlos Moya in a semifinal battle on Saturday at the Chennai Open, saving four match points in the second set tie-break en route to a 6-7(3), 7-6(8), 7-6(1) win. The top seed will face No. 4 seed Mikhail Youzhny (pictured) for the title after the Russian secured a straight-sets victory over 19-year-old Croat Marin Cilic, 6-2, 6-3.

With Moya serving for the match at 5-4 in the decisive set, Nadal finally succeeded in breaking his compatriot on his eighth break point opportunity of the third set. Nadal rolled out to a 5-0 lead in the tie-break and converted on his first of five match points to seal the win in three hours and 54 minutes.

"Carlos played very well, I don't remember the last time I saw him play so well. If he continues like this he can beat anyone on any surface," said Nadal "This was one of my best wins ever. It was a very emotional match." :awww: :awww:

The match was the longest three-set match since 1993 when Andrei Cherkasov defeated Andrea Gaudenzi in the quarterfinals of Tel Aviv, a match that also spanned the same amount of time. :eek: :eek:

Two-time Chennai champion and third seed Moya had his fair share of chances to secure the victory over the World No. 2. He earned three match points at 6-3 in the second set tie-break, but Nadal saved the first match point with a backhand winner and Moya hit wide returns on the next two. Moya's next opportunity came at 7-6 following a forehand winner, but Nadal saved the match with a great pass and proceeded to win the tie-break, 10-8.

"I would not change anything," said Moya. "I had my chances to win the match but did not take them. Rafa won the last point and deserved to win, that's the way tennis goes. :worship:

"I am very happy with the way I am playing. The crowd reaction was unbelievable, this is one of the things that motivates you to go on at 31 years of age."

The 21-year-old Nadal, who is chasing his 24th career ATP title, will be making his first appearance in the Chennai title match and his second in a pre-Australian Open final. He was runner-up at 2004 in Auckland (l. to Hrbaty).

Nadal brings in a 6-3 lifetime record against Youzhny, including a three-game winning streak against the Russian.

World No. 19 Youzhny converted four of eight break points and dropped just 10 points on serve in his dismissal of Cilic, which took one hour and 23 minutes.

"(Cilic) had a lot of talent and a great future but he's young and he finished his quarterfinal very late last night," said Youzhny. "I finished late too but I have more experience in this situation and it showed today."

Playing for the second time in Chennai, Youzhny is enjoyed a marked improvement on his debut in 2001, which saw him fall in the second round. He now improves to 5-1 at the event.

The 25-year-old Youzhny now improves to 8-14 in career ATP singles semifinals. He is a three-time titlist, lifting the trophies in Stuttgart 2002, St. Petersburg 2004 and Rotterdam last season.

http://www.atptennis.com/1/en/2008news/chennai_saturday.asp

Tnn74
01-06-2008, 06:55 AM
Go Rafa! :rocker2:

yana
01-06-2008, 11:18 AM

Hilde, you do know that Karin has one text for Rafa forum and a different one for GM. Trying to please everybody :p

Karin :hug:

Here's a pic of the 2 lovebirds from Vamosbrigade

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/5916/340xzk4.jpg

l_mac
01-06-2008, 11:25 AM
But still... the AO is something completely different and I maintain my point of view that I think we should be careful with expecting too much (i.e. certified (semi-)finalist) from him there. As good a player as Mr. Moya is, he's no Murray, Djokovich or Nalby (anymore), just to mention a few. And while I didn't see the match myself (and thus should really shut up about it by my own standards :p), I read that he was playing very far behind the baseline again... not going to work at the AO I think. At least he's aware of that, so let's hope he'll indeed do well there!

Moya played better yesterday than Murray or Djokovic have ever played against Nadal, IMO. His forehand and serving (for 9/10 of the match) were absolutely outstanding.

He wasn't playing way behind the baseline for the whole match, he was actually quite aggressive. He was forced back a fair bit because of the depth of Moya's shots. The only stat which worried me a little was his 2/17 bp conversion. Not good, although many of the bp chances were saved by Moya's great play.

l_mac
01-06-2008, 12:04 PM
Rafa looks very tired today, making lots of unforced errors and is currently 0-3 down in the first set.

yana
01-06-2008, 12:27 PM
It's good that I can't watch this match. I hate livestream, so I don't bother...

l_mac
01-06-2008, 12:27 PM
1st set bagel. :(

Castafiore
01-06-2008, 12:56 PM
1st set bagel. :(
With a breadstick to match. Isn't that wonderful?

cc2monac
01-06-2008, 12:59 PM
poor rafa was too tired today...anyway he did a great tourny so congrats rafael and good luck for your next tourny!

l_mac
01-06-2008, 01:03 PM
What a crappy match.

Rafa didn't seem to heartbroken after the match. But I am unimpressed.

Agassi Fan
01-06-2008, 02:52 PM
He was tired, very tired. :.-((

Metis
01-06-2008, 03:17 PM
Let's look at things from the positive side:

At least he went one round further this year and got ...45 points closer to Federer :haha:.

l_mac
01-06-2008, 03:21 PM
^^ Yup, he's now a mere 1,400 points behind and when their AO points from last year come off, he'll only be 650 points behind :aparty:

:sad:

Nadal thrashed in Chennai final :mad:

Top seed Rafael Nadal and world number two suffered a 6-0 6-1 thrashing at the hands of Russia's Mikhail Youzhny in the final of the Chennai Open.

The Spaniard was clearly affected by his four-hour semi-final against compatriot Carlos Moya.

He lost all three service games in the opening set and called for medical attention at 4-1 down in the second.

World number 19 Youzhny closed out the match after just 58 minutes on court for the fourth title of his career.

Nadal quickly dismissed fears his comprehensive defeat was because of an injury sustained in his marathon match against Moya on Saturday, the longest three-set match on the ATP Tour in 15 years.

There is nothing wrong with me - I called the trainer because I was feeling tired," said the 21-year-old :baby:

"Mikhail played unbelievable tennis and deserved to win.

"I will now go to Melbourne and practise for a week and hopefully I will be at my best at the [Australian] Open.

"The good thing is I leave this tournament without any injury. It has been a good start to the year for me. I have had good practice."

Youzhny admitted his win owed much to coming up against an off-key Nadal.

"This victory is a present from Rafael," said Youzhny, who has beaten Nadal in four of their seven encounters on hard courts.

"I did not think it would be so easy. I thought he would come back strongly in the second set but once I broke him in the fourth game, I knew I only had to ensure I did not make mistakes.

"I improved with every match in this tournament and I hope I continue the same way at the Australian Open."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/7173888.stm

Metis
01-06-2008, 03:29 PM
^^ Yup, he's now a mere 1,400 points behind and when their AO points from last year come off, he'll only be 650 points behind :aparty:

:eek:

Hopefully he can improve last year's result. :)

Sunset of Age
01-06-2008, 04:02 PM
Let's look at things from the positive side:

At least he went one round further this year and got ...45 points closer to Federer :haha:.

:lol:

And another positive thing: Rafa lost from a really nice guy. ;) Youzhny is a dearie!

I really didn't see this coming. I now feel like I jinxed him. S**T. :sad::sad:

l_mac
01-06-2008, 04:07 PM
I really didn't see this coming. I now feel like I jinxed him. S**T. :sad::sad:

You and Adam both, Karin :mad: ;)

Sunset of Age
01-06-2008, 04:17 PM
You and Adam both, Karin :mad: ;)

Yep... :sad:
It's hard you know - if I trust Raf to take a title, and he doesn't, I've jinxed him... and if I'm being cautious and try to temper too high expectations, it's like I'm writing him off. Can't do anything right here, no? ;)

Naide
01-06-2008, 06:20 PM
It was such a spanking, it actually made me laugh.
Youzhny what a classy man, he knew he had to let Rafa win one game so that MTF doesn't break down :hug:

MariaV
01-06-2008, 07:00 PM
:lol: Misha is a decent guy and it was good to see Rafa smile at the handshake. He is a fair loser. :D
At least he is optimistic before the AO and not injured. :D
*waiting Doris to come here with some youtube and Mikey to throw a hissie fit after that - ooops, wait, they only come to the chat thread :lol:*

l_mac
01-06-2008, 09:31 PM
:lol: Misha is a decent guy and it was good to see Rafa smile at the handshake. He is a fair loser. :D
At least he is optimistic before the AO and not injured. :D
*waiting Doris to come here with some youtube and Mikey to throw a hissie fit after that - ooops, wait, they only come to the chat thread :lol:*

Best that the Fedtards stick to the chat thread ;) Much as I love them, I don't think I'd appreciate their contributions elsewhere. Apart from Doris. She finds and posts nice articles.

MariaV
01-06-2008, 09:56 PM
^^ Oh definitely. ;) Otherwise I would have to leave.
And as Mikey said - Doris is generally not a tard. :)

Mimi
01-07-2008, 01:17 AM
:bigcry::sobbing:poor little nadal, what a bad way to start this bad monday

Sunset of Age
01-07-2008, 01:28 AM
Best that the Fedtards stick to the chat thread ;) Much as I love them, I don't think I'd appreciate their contributions elsewhere. Apart from Doris. She finds and posts nice articles.

Some think I'm a Fedtard too. Tried to fight that for a very long time, but, eh... well. :sad:

Doris is a lovely poster, a true jewel for MTF. :yeah:

l_mac
01-07-2008, 04:00 PM
Some think I'm a Fedtard too.

Not me though. :hug: Plus, even if you were, it is neutralised by the fact that you are also a Rafa fangirl ;) :angel: