French Open Press Conference: Heartbreak [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

French Open Press Conference: Heartbreak

gina_
06-08-2004, 05:44 AM
Did you guys see the press conference after the french open and the interview they did with coria?

And he was just sitting there, looking so boyish and his face at first so strangely silent and like he was struggling to hold everything back. And then when he started talking, and he was so gracious and dignified, and then when he talked about exactly how much the doping incident had affected him, it was heartbreaking.

I don't think I ever saw the extent to how much it had hurt him and how it still haunts me. And when you see Coria so calm on court; it's easy to think he's just all positivity and spunk. But you know, he does have his inner turmoils and inner pain and so much in life he has had to fight and go through.

And when he started crying, I tell you my heart broke and i almost died inside. It was the saddest thing ever. I can't think about it without starting to tear.

He's just the nicest, most genuine player. He has his faults, but you know, at least he's REAL. I've seen him with integrity and commitment and determination and kindness and i really genuinely like coria as a player and as a person. It really hurts me to see him so sad. I want to see him happy because he works for it and deserves it.

But we'll be okay, someday. And when he does win his first grandslam some other time, it'll be all the sweeter.

VAMOS CORIA!

"I really wanted to win, to try to forget everything I have deep inside"

you will one day, i promise.

alita
06-08-2004, 06:35 AM
Yes, he deserves it.:)

Tricky_Forehand
06-08-2004, 08:08 AM
I only saw the part of the press conference that the website had. I'm thinking it was a good thing that they only had a few minutes because if I saw him tear up more than he did during the ceremony I would've felt bad. And I wasn't going to feel bad when it was such a great day for Gaston.

This is when it gets difficult liking both :)

alita
06-08-2004, 09:13 AM
Where can I find the complete press conference,Amezquetta?

yixiang
06-09-2004, 10:05 AM
To see him sobbing at the press conference is a bottom line for me, because I burst out of tears immediately. When I watched the trophy presentation I didn't cry as I tried to help myself with others on the spot. But on looking his innocent boyish face, I just felt my heart torn apart...

Well I'm feeling better now. To win RG means everything to Guille, but not to me. To see him fighting like a true fighter is enough...

FrenchLouise
06-09-2004, 12:09 PM
Here is a BBC transcript of Coria's post-match press conference.

Tearful Coria blames nerves

Guillermo Coria wept as he admitted nerves were to blame for his French Open final capitulation.
Struck by cramp, Coria surrendered a two-set lead and two match points to fellow Argentine Gaston Gaudio.

"I felt completely powerless because I had been waiting for this opportunity for a long time," said the 21-year-old.

"I couldn't control this nervousness. I was trying to forget the cramps, but I knew they would come back because I was nervous. I was cramping all over."

Coria was banned for six months in 2001 following a positive test for nandrolone.

The world number three admitted his downfall could have been his desperation to win his first Grand Slam title to silence those he believed had turned against him during that period.

"After what happened to me because of doping, I was dreaming of this situation," he said, before breaking down in tears.

"To see that my body let me down and my nerves let me down...

"I remember what people did to me at that time. It's maybe the reason why I was a bit nervous.

"I really wanted to win this tournament, to try to forget everything I have deep inside.

"I would like to have revenge against those who gave me these contaminated vitamins."

Coria received treatment for cramp but could not recover
Coria added he had begun to dream about victory when he was two games away from the title at 6-0 6-3 4-4 when Gaudio recovered from 40-0 down to break serve.

"I think I was thinking too much at that stage," he said.

"There was one very long rally at 40-15. I was thinking that if I had won that point, I could have won the match. He won the game, unfortunately for me.

"Then I was under pressure. I was thinking too much. What happened, happened. I have no words to describe it. "

After losing a tight third set, Coria received treatment from the trainer at the beginning of the fourth but for the remainder of the set, he served at half-pace and was unable to run.

"The trainer told me to wait 10 minutes before I could feel an improvement," he said.

"I was absolutely exhausted. I didn't want to be ridiculous and start running because I knew that this set was lost for me.

This is a game where we have to run and you have to prepare yourself

"In the fifth set, I was able to return, but I had a lot of trouble serving."

However, Coria insisted he would recover from the disappointment to mount another title challenge next year.

"I'm only 21 - I had an opportunity this year and I couldn't take advantage of it," he said.

"But my head is up high. I think that if I keep on working on my physical condition, I will have another opportunity. "

Guille's Girl
06-09-2004, 11:00 PM
Yesterday, Alita's signature made me cry. Now I'm crying again. So much for being "ok" :sad: