Andy's Political Stance [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Andy's Political Stance

Arodfan15
12-07-2007, 01:35 AM
Hey...i'm not sure if this kind of thread is allowed and if it's not i'm really sorry, I don't really know the rules very well, but I was wondering what everyone's opinion is on what political party Andy belongs to? Maybe it's just me, but i've always wondered:)

Fee
12-07-2007, 01:44 AM
I don't think he belongs to any, and honestly, I've never wondered. Thankfully, he has kept his public commentary to sports, the area that he can best comment on, followed by music, movies, tv and books. I don't even know if he votes, and if he is on the road all the time and can't educate himself on the issues properly, that may be the best thing for him.

By the way, what political party do you belong to?

meenyminymo
12-07-2007, 01:49 AM
I don't think anyone really knows for sure, but I've heard he leans more towards the Democrat side. I personally think he doesn't interest himself much in politics, but he got a kick out of Stephen Colbert's book :shrug: :lol:

Fee
12-07-2007, 01:53 AM
Colbert's book seems pretty funny. I have it but I only read the first 3 pages or so, I was nearly in tears from laughing. I need to find that thing and finish reading it.

Arodfan15
12-07-2007, 01:57 AM
I'm a democrat. I guess i've wondered because he's from Texas which is generally considered Republican, but I always thought of him as liberal, but you're right maybe he doesn't even belong to a party:shrug:

Deboogle!.
12-07-2007, 02:01 AM
I forget where he said it but he said in a press conference not terribly long ago that he doesn't get involved in it at all. So I think it'd be best - if you really care - to assume nothing either way :lol: as for liking Colbert, my dad does too, and he's very conservative so I dunno if that means much :p Plus Andy's buddies with Bush Sr and Mattress Mack and is from the midwest. Yes he's from Texas, but Austin is liberal as far as Texas goes. He also makes a lot of money and super rich people tend to be conservative - at least fiscally.

So I really think it's impossible to say. Can't really assume a person's political leanings unless they say so themselves. So I think that'd be the safest thing to do about Andy :) If I had to guess, I'd guess he leans Republican, but it's just a guess and I wouldn't say it with any confidence whatsoever :shrug:

Marek.
12-07-2007, 02:02 AM
Colbert's book seems pretty funny. I have it but I only read the first 3 pages or so, I was nearly in tears from laughing. I need to find that thing and finish reading it.

I'm almost done with the book and it's probably the funniest thing I've read. It makes up for the show not being on.

meenyminymo
12-07-2007, 03:08 AM
This girl I know who's met him at a bunch of tournaments (aka she stalks him :tape: :lol:) overheard him bashing the Iraq war as "stupid", so that's why I said leans towards Democrat :) but I could be completely wrong for all I know. I'm pretty sure he belongs to the Apathetic party ;)

I need to read it. I asked for that as a Christmas present :lol:

Winston's Human
12-07-2007, 03:18 AM
I recall Andy saying that he did not vote in the 2004 presidential election because he was not familiar enough with the issues. Based on those comments, I would Andy in the indifferent/apathetic non-party.

If I had to guess, I would bet he is somewhat libertarian - moderate/liberal on social issues and conservative on fiscal issues.

Fee
12-07-2007, 03:25 AM
If Andy belongs to any party, it's the 'Let's party.' Just my guess.

meenyminymo
12-07-2007, 03:35 AM
:lol: Fee. Sounds like a pretty good guess.

Jlee
12-07-2007, 04:11 AM
It's possible that he leans either way and I'm sure he has at least some opinions about a few of the issues, but I doubt he votes if he doesn't feel strongly about a candidate and/or an issue.

I think that he's doing the right thing in not disclosing anything related to politics because it would just polarize people for or against him because of his opinion in an area that he's not very educated. He's a smarter person than he pretends to be, but that doesn't mean he should give his opinions about volatile issues that have nothing to do with tennis.

I saw President Bush's daughter Jenna do an interview about her book and they were trying to get her opinion about political issues. I was pleased to hear her say that she doesn't feel she knows enough about the issues to comment one way or another - I can respect that. I think Andy takes a similar stance.

surfpinky
12-07-2007, 04:36 AM
he's a commie.

Deboogle!.
12-07-2007, 04:40 AM
nat |X

ok something about this whole discussion gave me deja vu, so i searched the forum for republican and found a discussion from over 3 years ago when Brad (who was still andy's coach remember) went on Sean Hannity's radio show and said Andy leaned republican.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?p=772129#post772129 and following many posts - I listened to a repeat of it and summarized in this post (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=772431&postcount=695).

:shrug:

surfpinky
12-07-2007, 05:01 AM
he's a bushie.

Jlee
12-07-2007, 05:03 AM
Wow Deb, nice digging :lol:

surfpinky
12-07-2007, 05:04 AM
he's a socie.

Deboogle!.
12-07-2007, 05:05 AM
he's a bushie.nat! |X

Wow Deb, nice digging :lol:it's fast and easy when you know what you're looking for :p plus the word "republican" doesn't come up that many times in this forum ;)

Deboogle!.
12-07-2007, 05:06 AM
nat |X!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

surfpinky
12-07-2007, 05:07 AM
he's a popie.

Fee
12-07-2007, 05:22 AM
Maybe that's why Brad was fired.

Deboogle!.
12-07-2007, 05:44 AM
Maybe that's why Brad was fired.:spit: :haha:

I just wanna say one thing before I stop replying to this... some of us know about the issues and care about politics but don't affiliate with a party because we hate them all or have such inconsistent opinions that affiliating with one party is pretty much impossible (in my case, both;)). So even if Andy did have time or desire to learn about the issues, he still might not affiliate with a party and there's no way to know how Andy feels about every issue. So yea, I just think it's impossible to know his stance on much of anything :lol:

Arodfan15
12-07-2007, 05:58 AM
Wow, Debgoogle you're amazing at finding info.

I'm actually kind of shocked that he leads toward the Republican side, but no one really knows I guess:p If I had to guess I would say that Andy's neither just because he seems pro-gay marriage/pro charity, etc. yet at the same time his family backround leans more towards the Republican side. To me it seems like he could possibly have an opinion, but doesn't feel like it should be public knowledge because some fans might just him just based on his political views and cause unecissary problems.

Off topic, but I recently discovered how annoying the General Message board of this forum is after reading some of their replies after the Davis Cup.:rolleyes:

Deboogle!.
12-07-2007, 06:09 AM
Andy rarely makes strong opinionated statements about anything, even tennis-related stuff and especially not political stuff. He's very diplomatic. The only real reason we know he'd be pro gay rights is because he hangs out with Elton so much.... LOL. And despite what people think, Republicans give a lot to charity too. I think family background is a poor predictor. I know it's statistically a VERY good predictor, but my opinion is that it really isn't. As for specific issues having any weight as to overall political leanings..I mean, my dad is very conservative and votes republican but he's pro-choice, anti-religious involvement in government and society, etc. You can't pigeonhole people just based on a few issues, I guess that's my point. Depending on which issues you talk to me about I'm a bleeding heart liberal or as conservative as they come :shrug: I don't think Andy refrains from talking about his politics for fear of upsetting some of his fans, I just don't think it's who he is. if he were concerned with upsetting his fans, he might not act like such a prick on court sometimes ;) I kid, I kid.

I mean you don't read about many other tennis players openly discussing their politics either. Some celebrities like using their positions to push their politics - seems to be a 'disease' amongst big movie stars in particular :lol: - and some refuse to do so. I think Andy's one of those people and I respect that. and it's just not something that comes up much in press conferences anyway.

GM sucks. Especially towards Andy and America/Americans. Don't even waste your time or valuable brain cells. Except when you're bored and/or feeling feisty, then it can be fun :lol:

GollyLou
12-07-2007, 06:48 AM
I just wanna say one thing before I stop replying to this... some of us know about the issues and care about politics but don't affiliate with a party because we hate them all or have such inconsistent opinions that affiliating with one party is pretty much impossible (in my case, both;)).

Whatever Andy i I don't care, but Deb, I really agree with you there. IMO, politicians and political parties are all idiotic and I don't vote for that exact reason.

Jlee
12-07-2007, 06:58 AM
I'm exactly like you Deb - I would never be able to affiliate with one party or the other. The issues that I really care about are split pretty evenly between the two parties and sometimes it changes depending on the current situation. Politicians are corrupt anyway and voting is basically choosing the lesser of two evils :lol:

But anyway...;)

Tytta!.
12-07-2007, 11:50 AM
nat I love you. |: |X

Winston's Human
12-07-2007, 12:15 PM
Andy is a twenty-something guy. Most twenty-something guys are too focused on other things (school, career, WOMEN ....) to get all caught up in politics.

Plus, Andy does quite well financially with endorsements. Why risk alienating part of your fan/endorsement base by taking positions on controversial issues?

tangerine_dream
12-07-2007, 02:20 PM
Andy can't possibly be Republican because he cares very much about making a positive impression as an American traveling abroad. (he's the anti-Ugly American) ;)

kaylee
12-07-2007, 03:04 PM
I always amazed at things that people want to know (out of the ordinary) about Andy!!!

kaylee
12-07-2007, 04:02 PM
way to gooooo Nat!

tangerine_dream
12-07-2007, 04:10 PM
I don't want this to get into a debate, and I'm not republican, I'm actually not really either or, but being a republican is NOT a bad thing. Republicans don't go out to countries and act like ugly-americans, and andy could be a republican. Being a republican also doesn't mean that you automatically support the current administration, or don't support gays (hello, dick cheney's daughter is gay).
And people hating on republicans is just like people hating on you based on your sex, religion, and choices, etc. Discrimination...ok I'm done.
When I wrote that I was thinking more of Bush and Cheney (the true Ugly Americans) when I wrote that and not necessarily the normal Republican living next door to me, but I see now how my comment can be misinterpreted so I'm sorry if I offended anybody in here.

Winston's Human
12-07-2007, 05:59 PM
If you follow the "money talks" axiom in politics, I think Andy definitely falls within the "non-political" party.

Both the FEC and the Texas Election Commission have individual donor-search databases. Our lad is not listed in either database as having given a contribution to a federal or state candidate.

OTOH, I am feeling a little-bit stalkerish now.

Fee
12-07-2007, 07:08 PM
Can you search and see how much money he has given to candidate Bev Mo? I think that would definitely confirm his membership in the 'Let's Party.'

cobalt60
12-07-2007, 07:12 PM
I don't want this to get into a debate, and I'm not republican, I'm actually not really either or, but being a republican is NOT a bad thing. Republicans don't go out to countries and act like ugly-americans, and andy could be a republican. Being a republican also doesn't mean that you automatically support the current administration, or don't support gays (hello, dick cheney's daughter is gay).
And people hating on republicans is just like people hating on you based on your sex, religion, and choices, etc. Discrimination...ok I'm done.

:cool: