Old Rules [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Old Rules

silverwhite
06-07-2004, 02:24 PM
Predict-the-SCORE is a game adapted from the one in WTAWorld. Players basically predict the scores of actual ATP matches, and earn points based on the accuracy of their predictions.

There is a fixed number of predictions per round.

If a match becomes invalid (withdrawals or a retirement during the match) the pick is not counted and you may reuse it any other time during the tournament.

silverwhite
06-07-2004, 02:24 PM
Adapted from SpikeyAidanm’s Scoring System (*Copyright SpikeyAidanm - April 9th, 2004 -*)

How the Scoring works:

Correct winner – 10 points

Correct order of sets for:
1 set – 1 point
2 sets – 3 points
3 sets – 5 points
4 sets – 7 points
5 sets – 10 points

Correct scoreline for:
1 set – 2 points
2 sets – 4 points
3 sets – 6 points
4 sets – 8 points
5 sets – 10 points

Correct order of correct scorelines for:
1 set – 2 points
2 sets – 4 points
3 sets – 6 points
4 sets – 8 points
5 sets – 10 points

Explanation of Scoring Points

I think all of you understand "Correct winner" and "Correct scoreline" so I shall explain the other 2.

"Correct order of sets" refers to the correct prediction of which player will win which set.

For example, I predict that Federer will beat Kuerten in straight sets, 6-4 6-3 7-5, which means I'm predicting:
1st set - Federer, 2nd set - Federer, 3rd set - Federer

Federer ends up beating him in straight sets:
1st set - Federer, 2nd set - Federer, 3rd set - Federer

I have 3 sets in the correct order and will earn the respective number of points (i.e. 5).

If you predict the correct order of sets for 4-set and 5-set matches, you get more points than if you do for a 3-set match, since those matches are harder to predict.

"Correct order of correct scorelines" refers to the correct order of the correct scorelines predicted.

For example, if Federer defeats Kuerten 6-4 6-3 7-5:

If I had predicted Federer over Kuerten 6-4 6-3 7-5, I got the correct order of the correct scorelines for 3 sets and will earn the respective points (i.e. 6)

If I had predicted Federer over Kuerten 6-3 7-5 6-4, I got none of the correct scorelines in correct order. Thus, I will earn 0 points for the correct order of correct scorelines, although I will still earn points for guessing the correct scorelines.

(NOTE:
- 5 sets applies to 5-set matches only while 4 sets applies to 4-set and 5-set matches. The rest applies to all matches.
- If you did not predict the winner correctly, you can still win points in the other sections.
- Post your predictions in the form Player X over Player Y or Player X def Player Y)

Feel free to clarify with me if you need any explanation on the scoring system. :wavey:

Spikey_Todd Reid_#1Fan
06-08-2004, 09:06 AM
Looks like my invention was a popular one :)

silverwhite
06-08-2004, 01:00 PM
Looks like my invention was a popular one :)

:lol: Why don't you play then?

silverwhite
06-13-2004, 03:54 PM
How ranking points are decided
Due to the small number of players we have, we cannot have a fixed system for ranking points.

The number of ranking points for the winner is approximately based on the no. of ranking points an ATP player gets for winnning that tournament. The number of ranking points the last-placed poster gets is always 1.

For example, if anantak2k is the winner of RG, he gets 100 points and the last-placed poster, Jinx, for example, gets 1 point.

The posters placed between anantak2k and Jinx are then awarded points between 100 and 1. The #2 for RG gets 20 points less than anantak2k, the #3 gets 10 points less than the #2, the #4 gets 10 points less than #3 and so on. The point difference decreases as we go down the list until we reach 1 point, which is awarded to Jinx.

silverwhite
06-13-2004, 03:55 PM
Guys, I really need your suggestions for the scoring points and the ranking points! I think they are not good enough yet!

silverwhite
06-17-2004, 06:07 PM
Unfinalised Proposal of New Scoring System
Correct winner – 10 points

Correct no. of sets – 5 points

Correct order of sets for:
1 set – 1 point
2 sets – 3 points
3 sets – 5 points
4 sets – 7 points
5 sets – 10 points

Correct scoreline for:
1 set – 4 points
2 sets – 8 points
3 sets – 12 points
4 sets – 16 points
5 sets – 20 points
*2 additional points per set if the scoreline is in the correct set order

Bonus for Top ? scores:
1st – ? points
2nd – ? points
3rd – ? points
4th – ? points
5th – ? points

Those in bold are the changes made

silverwhite
06-17-2004, 06:11 PM
Does anything else need to be changed? How many of the top scores of the whole tournament should get bonus points and how many bonus points should they get?

jazz_girl
06-18-2004, 10:56 AM
I don't understand what you mean with bonus points, where do they come from???

denim
06-18-2004, 09:43 PM
This thread looks cool, are you doing it for wimbledon fortnight? I'd love to participate :)

silverwhite
06-19-2004, 01:04 AM
I don't understand what you mean with bonus points, where do they come from???

At the end of the tournament, bonus points will be awarded to the people who predicted the highest scoring predictions, just that I'm still not sure how many of the highest to award bonus points to and how many points to give toeach. :)

silverwhite
06-19-2004, 01:06 AM
This thread looks cool, are you doing it for wimbledon fortnight? I'd love to participate :)

Of course. :)

Lady
06-19-2004, 01:45 PM
Ok, I have one idea, I'm not sure, maybe this was used in WTA game, but how about awarding bonus points or something if player guess sets score right but in wrong order.
For example, player's pick - Player A def. Player B 6/2 7/5, but the right scoreline is Player A def. Player B 7/5 6/2.

Or some little little points (2 or 3) if player got the score completely right, but the winner of the match wrong?

That's just some suggestions :D

silverwhite
06-19-2004, 03:02 PM
Ok, I have one idea, I'm not sure, maybe this was used in WTA game, but how about awarding bonus points or something if player guess sets score right but in wrong order.
For example, player's pick - Player A def. Player B 6/2 7/5, but the right scoreline is Player A def. Player B 7/5 6/2.

Or some little little points (2 or 3) if player got the score completely right, but the winner of the match wrong?

That's just some suggestions :D

I've already increased the number of points for correct scorelines from 2 to 4 per set. :)