Rafa's 2008 Schedule [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Rafa's 2008 Schedule

l_mac
11-23-2007, 09:59 PM
I don't know it.

Let's guess!

I'll bold the ones we know he's entering (where's he announced his intention to play and the MS + Slams) I'll put DC ties in itallics. The ones he played last year have ? beside them.

DEC 31 Chennai Chennai Open (H) - FINAL (lost to Youzhny)
JAN 14 Melbourne Australian Open (H) -SF (lost to Tsonga)

FEB 18 Rotterdam ABN AMRO World Tennis Tournament (IH) 2nd Round (lost to Seppi :retard:)
MAR 3 Dubai The Dubai Tennis Championships (H) QF(lost to Roddick)
MAR 10 ATP MASTERS SERIES Indian Wells Pacific Life Open (H) SF (lost to Nole :bigcry:)
MAR 24 ATP MASTERS SERIES Miami Sony Ericsson Open (H) Finalist (lost to Davydenko)

APR 7 Davis Cup Quarterfinal (Played, def. Keifer)

APR 21 ATP MASTERS SERIES Monte-Carlo Masters Series Monte-Carlo (CL) WON
APR 28 Barcelona Open SEAT 2008 (CL) WON
MAY 5 ATP MASTERS SERIES Rome Campionati BNL d’Italia (CL) 2nd round (lost to Ferrero)
MAY 12 ATP MASTERS SERIES Hamburg Masters Series Hamburg (CL)

MAY 26 Paris Roland Garros (CL)
JUNE 9 London The Artois Championships (G) (confirmed by official site)
JUNE 23 Wimbledon Wimbledon (G)
JULY 7 Stuttgart MercedesCup (CL) ??

JULY 21 ATP MASTERS SERIES Toronto Rogers Masters (H)
JULY 28 ATP MASTERS SERIES Cincinnati Western & Southern Financial Group Masters (H)

AUG 11 2008 OLYMPICS

AUG 25 New York US Open (H)

SEP 15 Davis Cup Semifinal*
SEP 22 Bangkok Thailand Open (IH) ??

OCT 13 ATP MASTERS SERIES Mutua Madrilena Masters Madrid (IH)

OCT 27 ATP MASTERS SERIES BNP Paribas Masters (IS)

NOV 10 Tennis Masters Cup Shanghai Tennis Masters Cup Shanghai (IS) ??
NOV 17 Davis Cup Final

I don't really see how he can play Stuttgart next year, unless he loses really early at Wimbledon ... :sad: Have I said here how stupid I find his decision not to play the SA clay swing next year? Because I think it's really stupid.

I'll keep editing this as we find out more.

Metis
11-23-2007, 10:59 PM
I wonder if he intends to play Queens again. His original contract was for 2 years...

l_mac
11-23-2007, 11:00 PM
I hope he doesn't.

edited to add: Jesus, there is much doom and gloom over rafa's physical problems. :sad:

Björki
11-23-2007, 11:14 PM
he has an contract with Stuttgart too.

l_mac
11-23-2007, 11:16 PM
I know. Sometimes I really think he's :retard:

Sunset of Age
11-24-2007, 12:28 AM
There was a poll in a Dutch newspaper lately, on the subject of Raf indeed appearing at the Rotterdam ABN AMRO-tournament - and the outcome was that 80% of the voters expect that he won't.

This schedule seems a bit too much to me... really, with his tendonitis problems (which is a chronic injury!), he should be more careful and cut down on this schedule of his, or I'll seriously start fearing for him to burn out too soon. Learn from Roger, Raf, and choose your tournaments sensibly!

l_mac
11-24-2007, 12:33 AM
There was a poll in a Dutch newspaper lately, on the subject of Raf indeed appearing at the Rotterdam ABN AMRO-tournament - and the outcome was that 80% of the voters expect that he won't.

This schedule seems a bit too much to me... really, with his tendonitis problems (which is a chronic injury!), he should be more careful and cut down on this schedule of his, or I'll seriously start fearing for him to burn out too soon. Learn from Roger, Raf, and choose your tournaments sensibly!

Karin, did you read the latest gloom mongering injury article? The one about his flat feet? :sad:

Sunset of Age
11-24-2007, 02:54 AM
Karin, did you read the latest gloom mongering injury article? The one about his flat feet? :sad:

Oh dear, not ANOTHER one? :sad:
His team should really give the guy a break - and perhaps he himself should allow it just as much. After having read about the offer Tio Toni gave him - to quit as his trainer - which Raf turned down, I'm really feeling the guy is pushing himself a mite too hard...

Well, whatever. His year 2007 was a great one indeed, ranking up 1300 points more than in 2006. I can only wish for him not putting too much of a strain on himself. Have to love the guy for his remarkable fighting spirit, though... (if not for MANY other reasons, too!).

Castafiore
11-24-2007, 11:12 AM
The one about his flat feet? :sad:
I read it. I don't know what to think of that article since Rafa's feet don't look flat at all to me.

l_mac
11-24-2007, 01:21 PM
^^Me either. It was a mighty depressing read.

Rafa obviously doesn't care about his myriad of physical problems as I see he is playing the Malaga Masters next weekend. :rolleyes:

The Pro
11-24-2007, 05:43 PM
Rafa don't skip Queen's you PILLOCK :mad:

It's a great tournament... but I'm biased.

I think this'll be the make or break year in regards to Rafa's health. Either he'll be dogged by injury (please no) or he'll be able to mix up his game or work a schedule that doesn't wear him out. Over the last 3 years he hasn't missed too much due to injury, just the odd tournament here and there, so I'm not too worried. ;)

Metis
11-24-2007, 06:19 PM

:confused: What's this all about? Can someone post it?

l_mac
11-24-2007, 06:38 PM
I'll post the translation that andrea did at vamosbrigade (and I hope I don't get into trouble)

A champion made out of pain

Nadal lives with extreme physical situations, that would have driven many into depression. He suffers a chronical tendinitis in his kneecap, the inner part of one of his feet tends to descend while walking too (I really have no idea how to explain this, but if I understood the info correctly, Rafa has a flat foot, does that word exisist in english? ) And he has got to the point to sumerge in water with ice to mitigate the pain.

Tomeu Maura

PALMA- He is a champion made out of pain. Consolidated as the second best tennis player of the world, he is able to remain in top of the circuit thanks to his enormous capacity to sacrifice.

Nadal is a mental beast, who lives, with only 21, phisical problems that normally show up much later, on the last track in the career of a professional sportsman, that would have cause serious depressions in the majority of his rivals.

Because of his chronical tendinitis in his kneecap he suffers since two seasons, Rafa canīt make a consistent career, and has to dose his effort in order to not suffer the stress fracture in his right foot like in 2004 again, which forced him to do a long, sporadic rest to reduce the inflamation in his tendons and ease the pain.

Extreme measures. He tried everything, even the therapy of shock waves, in which the affected zone is hitted hard to provoke a bruise, improve the blood circulation and end with the calcifications. A voluntary torture in which he subjects himself a few times a week, though Angel Ruiz-Cotorro, his doctor, suspects that it isnīt that effective anymore. But itīs not the only extreme treatment he tried. In January, after defeating Andy Murray in the first Grand Slam of the season, The Australian Open, he sumerged into a tub full of ice six in the morning in order to mitigate the consequences of his effort. It wasnīt the first time. Neither the last.

The roots of everything seems to lay in his physical constitution. Nadal has "flat feet" and therefore, he overloads them. When he touches the ground, the inner part of his feet is pushed down extremely. When the foot needs to elevate, it keeps pushing itself to the inside, and creates a diversion. Obviously with this kind of diversion, the inner part of his shoes are being deteriotated. This move creates an overload on his joints provoked by the way he stands on his feet. This indicates that all the weight goes to that zone and hurts.

Of course, a "flat foot" is more exposed to suffer injuries in its ligaments, and maybe that explains the cause of the stress fracture in his right foot in 2004, that kept him away for 4 months, and from which he could never fully recover, in spite of all the treatments he went through.

One of them was the implantations of special insoles, designed after a deep biomechanical research, which in theory should have corrected his support position to avoid contractures, but he never could fully adapt to them either. The result of that was that he had to stay away from the circuit for long 4 months, from October 2005 to February 2006, and during 2007, even though he didnīt suffer such long breaks, he had to interrupt his activity many times, the last one of them, in the previous weeks of the Master Cup in Shanghai.

Raised in a privileged family environment, Rafa inherited his uncleīs capacity to sacrifice. The football player Miquel Angel Nadal, a titan who manage to play a match for Mallorca with a broken toe, or who refused to leave the field in spite of having a punctured lung and suffering huge pain. Miquel Angel had to go through a tendinitis in his kneecap too, and back problems. But he never complained. "There were days-he remembers- when I woke up and put my foot on the floor, I saw stars. But I guess that the pain is part of the life a sportsman has. And Rafa knows that too."

The living example of his uncle serves him to accept what is necesary. Just like the endless sessions of rehab his physiotherapist, Miquel Maymó, makes him go through after every match, in which he tries to get a muscular balance where the joints can be in an ideal state. The job concentrates on the recentration of the joints in order to avoid injuries, and in regard to the tendinitis, for his knees he performs isometric and eccentrics excercises of quadriceps so the tendon can take consistency.

When his ankle inflamates, they apply creams in order to retrieve its normal state. And when the situation is desperate, there is no better medecine than a bath of contrast. Or the same thing, get in a tub full of ice water.
On the court, besides from the insoles, Nadal needs protection in his kneecap. Thatīs why they are doing a orthopedical treatment, a tape under his kneecap or a circular tape under the lower pole of the kneecap or a knee protection centered in his kneecap, though for the next season they are thinking about the possibility to extend the protection to his quadricep. (<----that doesn't sound good :sad: )

Without infiltrations. Until now, Rafa has endured everything, and that will be the tendency for the next season, which will start in January in Australia. Nothing indicates that the pain will fade away, and even though for the moment, it has been succesfull to avoid the inflitrations, injections of corticoesteroids that are introduced to almost three times in an interval of one or two weeks in the affected zone, are prepared, and they donīt disccard the possibility to use them one day.

A case similar to Nadalīs is unknown. Of course that in the professional circuit, we donīt know such a case. And in his attempt for the number one spot, Rafa claimes to be only able to compete in equal physical conditions as the rest. Surely in that case, nobody could stop him. Not even Federer.

Happy reading.

l_mac
11-24-2007, 06:41 PM
I just read that Rafa thinks if he has to drop a tournament next summer it will be Cinci. Is he mental? What about Stuttgart? It starts the day after the WImbledon final. And he seems to think he will be playing MC-Barca-Rome-Hamburg, and he also mentioned Queen's. :retard:

Castafiore
11-24-2007, 07:43 PM
About the European clay court tournaments: if he plays Monte Carlo, Barcelona and Rome back-to-back (which is already pretty intense), I can't see him playing in Hamburg (and if he does, I plan to hunt him down in Germany to slap him myself. ;) )

Queens is a great tournament and he needs at least one grass court tournament in preparation for Wimbledon. Why the :retard: ?

Stuttgart is something he can't really drop since he's under contract to play there with a nice fee to tie him to that tournament. I don't quite agree with the clay court tournament in between Wimbledon and the US HC season but I can't see him drop this one for now.

Montréal/Toronto & Cinci back-to-back never worked out well. I'm not surprised to see him contemplating dropping one of them but it's a Masters Series event so it's not supposed to be optional. Quite a few of the top players who plan to go to the Olympics are probably seriously thinking about an excuse to drop Cincy, no?

l_mac
11-24-2007, 07:54 PM
The :retard: wasn't for Queen's specifically, it was for all those tournaments he's intending to play. I know he won't, but he should drop Barcelona and Stuttgart. He should have thought things through more carefully before commiting to Stuttgart for two years. It's not like the Olympics is some suprise tournament he wasn't expecting.

If he wants to save his body and play more tournaments on his favourite surface, he should be doing the clay swing in SA. Not squashing more tournaments into the 10 week window as he does now.

cmurray
11-24-2007, 07:58 PM
Good Lord. That article is AWFUL. How can he go through that ALL the time? How can he run like he does if he's flat-footed?

It makes me even more irritated when the yahoos on this board say that he's "faking" an injury. He doesn't need to fake one - sounds to me like he basically just plays injured all the time.

I wonder if he thinks he needs to be just like Uncle Miguel Angel? :sad:

Castafiore
11-24-2007, 08:02 PM
I'd love him to drop Barcelona but he's never going to do that since it's pretty much his home tournament.

Stuttgart...well, yes. I'm not exactly excited about that choice either.

What happened to his plans to play the South American clay court events, by the way? He's going to go to Rotterdam and Dubai instead?
More money offered in Rotterdam and Dubai?

l_mac
11-24-2007, 08:06 PM
I'd love him to drop Barcelona but he's never going to do that since it's pretty much his home tournament.

Stuttgart...well, yes. I'm not exactly excited about that choice either.

What happened to his plans to play the South American clay court events, by the way? He's going to go to Rotterdam and Dubai instead.
More money offered there?

I think it's because he would be away from Manacor too long. Toni Nadal said it would "make the season too long." I suppose potentially he would be away from the last week in December (Chennai) until April (after Miami)

He forgets he'll probably lose early at the AO, and would be able to nip home then :devil:

Good Lord. That article is AWFUL. How can he go through that ALL the time? How can he run like he does if he's flat-footed?

It makes me even more irritated when the yahoos on this board say that he's "faking" an injury. He doesn't need to fake one - sounds to me like he basically just plays injured all the time.

I wonder if he thinks he needs to be just like Uncle Miguel Angel? :sad:

Isn't it just the most depressing thing you've ever read about him? But then he still makes these strange decisions - playing more hard court tournaments than ever, playing an exho in Malaga next weekend instead of resting ... Maybe he can take all the pain? Or maybe he knows he's only got another 2-3 years left to play and wants to make the most of it while he can :crying2:

anon57
11-24-2007, 08:09 PM
That article really is depressing. If that's indeed all he has to go through to play at his age, it's worrying for his future career. Hopefully him and his team will realise that they needs to come up with a schedule that isn't as demanding on his body. I also hope he starts listening to his body a bit more, I understand that Nadal doesn't want to miss any important tournaments but when his foot/knees are constantly bothering him and he needs painkillers/icebaths etc. to be able to function properly maybe it's a sign that he needs some rest.

Castafiore
11-24-2007, 08:10 PM
Yes, l_mac,
that's why he plays Stuttgart and no little tournament in N-America - to be closer to Manacor so that he can go back home for a bit (even if it's just for a few days).

But without looking at the schedule in detail:
He's playing the Davis Cup tie early February, flies back to Europe to Rotterdam and then he travels to Dubai, to fly all the way back to the Americas to play Indian Wells and Miami. Right?

Wouldn't it make more sense to play the DC in S-America, get a couple of clay court events there as well and then go to IW and Miami.
But then he's too long away from Manacor again.

l_mac
11-24-2007, 08:13 PM
Wouldn't it make more sense to play the DC in S-America, get a couple of clay court events there as well and then go to IW and Miami.
But then he's too long away from Manacor again.

To me, yes, that makes sense :lol:

I know he's quoted as saying that he likes that Xisca has her own life, and that it is more important for her to study than follow him around, but I think it might be better for him emotionally and mentally if he had a GF that could travel with him all the time. Uncle Toni thinks he's losing his "spark".

Castafiore
11-24-2007, 08:18 PM
Uncle Toni thinks he's losing his "spark".
Didn't uncle Toni add that this is a normal part of growing up and getting used to life at the top?

l_mac
11-24-2007, 08:23 PM
Didn't uncle Toni add that this is a normal part of growing up and getting used to life at the top?

Yes.

I was just thinking of ways to keep him happy now that his enthusiasm and excitement are not at the levels they were when he was a kid. ;)

Johnny Groove
11-24-2007, 08:24 PM
I just hope Nadal can hold out long enough to take #1 and win Wimbledon and break Borg's RG record.

Another other than that is gravy, as i cant see the guy playing longer than Borg, at 25/26, and that is VERY generous

Castafiore
11-24-2007, 08:36 PM
I was just thinking of ways to keep him happy now that his enthusiasm and excitement are not at the levels they were when he was a kid. ;)
A GF who could accompany him would probably help but at the same time, I think that it's nice of him to say that it's more important to him that she has a life of her own and can develop herself (studies) than following him around to watch him play tennis.

I've always felt that part of the missing spark has to do with scrutinizing media (and the fact that he's shy probably doesn't help). When he just reached the top, he could do no wrong. He was that new kid on the block and you could hardly hear a word of criticism in the media.
Now, every word he says and every gesture he makes is analysed, made bigger, put out of context, dramatised,...
Take this flat foot article. His feet have an arch. They don't look flat. How odd is that article?

I have the impression that the relationship with the French media is quite tense. He always seems that much more relaxed when he's in the UK for Queens and Wimbledon.

I just hope Nadal can hold out long enough to take #1 and win Wimbledon and break Borg's RG record.
I so want him to win RG and Wimbledon back-to-back but I don't dare to hope for it since it's so hard to do.
Yes, the number 1, even if it's for a couple of weeks, would be good as well.
For now, I'm using the "hope for the best, prepare for the worst" motto.

Johnny Groove
11-24-2007, 08:39 PM
I have the impression that the relationship with many French sports journalist is quite tense. He always seems that much more relaxed when he's in the UK for Queens and Wimbledon.

Because the French are pissed because Nadal always beats Gasquet and wont let Federer (speaks French) win it. Federer and Gasquet play the "Lacoste" flashy style of play that they like. :rolleyes:

Castafiore
11-24-2007, 08:45 PM
Because the French are pissed because Nadal always beats Gasquet and wont let Federer (speaks French) win it. Federer and Gasquet play the "Lacoste" flashy style of play that they like. :rolleyes:
Yup.

They seem to be fed up that so many Spaniards have won RG and it's been too long for them since a Frenchman won it. I don't want to generalise because it's a great country but they've always had a bit of a problem with people from a certain nationality winning their big home tournaments too often for their liking.
Eddy Merckx used to be hated in France. Apparently, the French tour de France organisers once asked him to stay home for the year to give somebody else the opportunity to win the event and one time, he was punched hard in the stomach when he was once again leading the event. Lance Armstrong has a story or two to tell about that sort of thing as well. I remember when Jan Ullrich was leading the Tour de France, every day, they had these huge rants on French tv on how it's appalling that a German is leading their event and that every French cyclist must try hard to prevent him from winning.

Metis
11-24-2007, 10:49 PM
I'll post the translation that andrea did at vamosbrigade (and I hope I don't get into trouble)

Happy reading.

Thanks for posting the article!

Hmmm... It does sound depressing, but then again journalists tend to overdramatize things. I doubt the situation is so serious. This is a problem that dates back to late 2005, not recently, and apart from those 4 months he was sidelined, it appears that he managed very well in 2006 and 2007. He said himself in the El Pais interview that he has adapted (and I'd rather put more weight on his words). Of course it would be great if he didn't have that problem (and the more recent knee troubles) and who knows how much more he might have achieved. However, it seems that he can work around these problems and still play at a high level. Let's not forget many players had to deal with more prohibitive injuries.

So, let's be positive people. Things are not that bad. Besides he said himself he's going to try running again in December. Hopefully it will work out well for him. :shrug:

One thing I wonder about though (and I remember this has been mentioned before) is whether playing that Madrid 2005 tournament had a lot to do with the seriousness of his present condition...

I just read that Rafa thinks if he has to drop a tournament next summer it will be Cinci. Is he mental? What about Stuttgart? It starts the day after the WImbledon final. And he seems to think he will be playing MC-Barca-Rome-Hamburg, and he also mentioned Queen's. :retard:

Dropping Cinci sounds reasonable assuming he is participating in the Olympics and Queens has worked well for him in terms of preparation for Wimbledon (I doubt he will want to change that :) ). I really think he might drop Barcelona though now that the schedule has been shortened and there is no break between that tournament and Rome.

In any case, let's wait for the official schedule before :smash: ing and :shout:ing at him.

:lol:

l_mac
11-24-2007, 10:57 PM
One thing I wonder about though (and I remember this has been mentioned before) is whether playing that Madrid 2005 tournament had a lot to do with the seriousness of his present condition...

I would say definitely. The folly of youth.

Dropping Cinci sounds reasonable assuming he is participating in the Olympics and Queens has worked well for him in terms of preparation for Wimbledon (I doubt he will want to change that :) ). I really think he might drop Barcelona though now that the schedule has been shortened and there is no break between that tournament and Rome.

In any case, let's wait for the official schedule before :smash: ing and :shout:ing at him.

I bet it's Hamburg he drops/tanks.

I like :smash: ing him :lol:

l_mac
11-27-2007, 09:26 PM
Rafa isn't on the entry list for Sydney, or any of the tournaments in the week directly preceeding the AO.

This pleases me.

Johnny Groove
11-27-2007, 09:29 PM
Rafa isn't on the entry list for Sydney, or any of the tournaments in the week directly preceeding the AO.

This pleases me.

me too :bigclap:

He is beginning to wise up :banana:

I just wish he would play in Adelaide instead of Chennai, so hes right there

MariaV
11-27-2007, 09:30 PM
I think he might have some contractual commitment to Chennai.

Sunset of Age
11-27-2007, 09:43 PM

This pleases me.

That's good news, indeed! :yeah:

Johnny Groove
11-27-2007, 09:47 PM
Boo contracts :ras:

If i was Toni, here is what his schedule would be next year:

Adelaide

Week off

AO

Week off

DC

Week off

Buenos Aires

Acapulco

Week off

IW

Miami

DC (if still in, if not, week off)

Week off

MC

Barcelona

Rome

Im thinking he should skip Hamburg, but im still undecided here

Week off

RG

Queens

Week off

Wimbledon

Week off

Week off

Toronto

Cincy

Week off

Olympics

Week off

USO

3 weeks off, then Metz, then another rest week

Madrid

Rest

Bercy

Shanghai

YE ranking= #1 :D

MariaV
11-27-2007, 09:53 PM
YE ranking= #1 :D

I totally like that part! :D :worship: :bowdown:

l_mac
11-27-2007, 09:54 PM
I think that's what he should play too, Blaze. Though I might swap Barcelona for Hamburg. Honestly, I find his decision not to play the SA clay swing BAFFLING. Especially considering the DC tie in Peru.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Johnny Groove
11-27-2007, 09:57 PM
why hes playing in Europe in February is beyond me.

Idiot. You are injured. Playing on hard courts hurts you. Clay, it doesnt. Also, you can win clay tourneys playing righty, i dont see why he doesnt do it :rolleyes:

And the DC tie in Peru is the icing on the cake :retard:

play DC, chill for a week, win 2 tourneys, head to IW, and defend your title, moron

l_mac
11-27-2007, 09:59 PM
It's because he's a :baby:

Johnny Groove
11-27-2007, 10:01 PM
didnt have a problem with it in 05 :shrug:

l_mac
11-27-2007, 10:04 PM
In 2005 he still had his joy. Now he needs to get back to Manacor regularly to fill up on joy.

edit, actually he's probably going where the big $$$$ are, because he knows he's only got another 2-3 years to make it.

Johnny Groove
11-27-2007, 10:10 PM
I dont buy that

He has enough money for the rest of his life, what with tourney winning, TV commercials, sponsorships, appearance fees, etc. etc. etc.

Sunset of Age
11-27-2007, 10:15 PM
I dont buy that

He has enough money for the rest of his life, what with tourney winning, TV commercials, sponsorships, appearance fees, etc. etc. etc.

Earning *more* money can become addictive... :angel:

To be honest: I don't understand Team Nadal's choices either. :shrug:

l_mac
11-27-2007, 10:20 PM
Must just be the joy thing then.

Sunset of Age
11-27-2007, 10:27 PM
Must just be the joy thing then.

Don't really buy that either - it's not like he looked unhappy on court lately, was it? :confused:

Still, I'd be highly surprised if he indeed turns up in Rotterdam. :cool:

l_mac
11-27-2007, 10:31 PM
Don't really buy that either - it's not like he looked unhappy on court lately, was it? :confused:

Um ... I think it's the drag of travelling all the time and the constant press questioning. His face could not have been tripping him more in Hamburg this year :lol: Uncle Toni said the reason for not doing the SA clay was that it would make the season "too long" - I don't see many other ways to interpret that other than Rafa needs to play more in Europe, so he can hop home.

Still, I'd be highly surprised if he indeed turns up in Rotterdam. :cool:

He can play Rotterdam. But if his name turns up on the entry list for Marseille - :armed:

Johnny Groove
11-27-2007, 10:35 PM
He needs to man up and grow a pair. Hes gonna risk injury so he can stay closer to home? :retard:

Sunset of Age
11-27-2007, 10:38 PM
Um ... I think it's the drag of travelling all the time and the constant press questioning. His face could not have been tripping him more in Hamburg this year :lol: Uncle Toni said the reason for not doing the SA clay was that it would make the season "too long" - I don't see many other ways to interpret that other than Rafa needs to play more in Europe, so he can hop home.

Oh yes, the whole pressure of travelling and being chased by press and whatnot (:angel:) may well be a big drag for him, as he's obviously very happy to be at home in Manacor - but then, that's one of the sacrifices a top player must make.
Perhaps it's indeed a sign that he'd rather not whore himself out for points this year like he did last year...

He can play Rotterdam. But if his name turns up on the entry list for Marseille - :armed:

Well, Rotterdam is in fact one of the fastest HC tournaments around, so, while I'd love to see him playing there, I don't think it's the best choice to make should he have a lingering injury - I expect him to pull out if there's anything bothering him physically. If not... :rolleyes:

l_mac
11-27-2007, 10:38 PM
He needs to man up and grow a pair. Hes gonna risk injury so he can stay closer to home? :retard:

Hence my :baby: earlier.

Metis
11-27-2007, 10:56 PM
Hey, what's all this bitching about Rafa's schedule? :armed:

IMO it's better that he's playing Dubai instead of those SA tournaments (besides, Roger is going to be there too :aplot: :D). And is it definite that he's playing DC in Peru? The Spanish team can definitely handle Peru without him, no?

Let's take things one tournament at a time and see how he does in AO :sad:.

l_mac
11-27-2007, 11:00 PM
Hey, what's all this bitching about Rafa's schedule? :armed:

IMO it's better that he's playing Dubai instead of those SA tournaments (besides, Roger is going to be there too :aplot: :D). And is it definite that he's playing DC in Peru? The Spanish team can definitely handle Peru without him, no?

Sorry, Metis :hug: :o

I will bow to the Nadals' genius for scheduling. Look how it's paid off for him the last few years :) Burnt out by July :worship: Why change that formula? :shrug:

I think Rafa will win the AO. So does Blaze.

Feel that positivity!

Metis
11-27-2007, 11:16 PM

Feel that positivity!

Vamos! :banana:

Wasn't that what everyone thought this time last year too? :tape: I remember RFK had pretty strong feelings about it. :haha:

Let's not forget the surface is going to be faster. Last year I actually believed he was going to win it or at least reach the final. This time, errr... not really :bolt:

Maybe if his serve improves a lot during the off season... :unsure:

One thing is for sure. If he wins AO it will be an enormous boost for him...

l_mac
11-27-2007, 11:18 PM
^^ Of course he's not going to win the AO, silly!

I bet he doesn't even defend his QF points.

Nole will be #2 by IW/Miami. He will consolidate his #2 spot after Rafa has to miss the start of the clay season due to injuries he picks up during his hardcourt run. :mad:

Metis
11-27-2007, 11:22 PM
:lol: you are so cyclothymic

l_mac
11-27-2007, 11:23 PM
^^ It's exhausting :lol: :crying2:

Johnny Groove
11-28-2007, 03:16 AM
Im sure Linda would LOVE to see Djoke at #2 :devil:

Metis
11-28-2007, 04:49 AM
Im sure Linda would LOVE to see Djoke at #2 :devil:

:scared: that would be scary; I bet we would see some RaveR-like reactions... :p

MariaV
11-28-2007, 07:47 AM
:scared: that would be scary; I bet we would see some RaveR-like reactions... :p

From me too btw. ;) Retire you moron! Total idiot! :mad: :fiery:

*going to work on her Raver impersonations*

And is it definite that he's playing DC in Peru? The Spanish team can definitely handle Peru without him, no?

Yep, I prefer taking things one tournament at a time too and TRY not to have any great expectations. :o :tape: :ignore:
And exactly what I wanted to say - is it ABSOLUTELy necessary for him to go to Peru, other chicos, those who will play the SA clay tourneys anyway could handle the 1st rd for him. How horrible can it be in Lima vs Horna & Miranda?

Castafiore
11-28-2007, 09:56 AM
Sorry, Metis :hug: :o

I will bow to the Nadals' genius for scheduling. Look how it's paid off for him the last few years :) Burnt out by July :worship: Why change that formula? :shrug:

Feel that positivity!
There must be a middle road between naive "see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil" optimism and the sarcastic "gaining MTF popularity/credibility by being negative about your favorite player" bitching, though. No?

On the one hand, some parts of the scheduling has me :scratch: as well (like the DC tie in Peru, coming back to Europe, then going to Dubai etc etc or that packed European clay court schedule) but some of these tournaments are scheduled in "just in case" IMO. Schedule that tournament just in case he doesn't get far in this tournament.
I'm also one of those "take it one tournament at a time" because who knows where he will show up and where not?

By the way, I just read an interview with Toni Nadal and he spoke about Rafa's foot injuries he's been having for two years and he called it a very serious problem so I really am not going to look too far ahead.

l_mac
11-28-2007, 03:42 PM
There must be a middle road between naive "see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil" optimism and the sarcastic "gaining MTF popularity/credibility by being negative about your favorite player" bitching, though. No?

I think Nadal's scheduling decisions for next year are crazy, particularly in light of everything that has been written about his injuries recently. Other than my genuine belief that he would be better served with a schedule that included the SA clay swing and didn't have 8 tournaments (includng 2 slams and 3 MS) in a 9 week window, I don't recall ever writing anything approaching negativity with regard to Rafa. However, I'm completely dumbfounded by even the idea of playing Rotterdam and Dubai, and defending Stuttgart in the week immediately following Wimbledon. It makes me :eek: If I was worried about having credibility on MTF, I wouldn't even admit to being a Rafa fan :p

By the way, I just read an interview with Toni Nadal and he spoke about Rafa's foot injuries he's been having for two years and he called it a very serious problem so I really am not going to look too far ahead.

I just read this on the BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/7117076.stm

World number two Rafael Nadal's camp have moved to calm fears about his future after comments regarding a foot injury from his coach Toni Nadal.

Reports suggested the 21-year-old's career was in doubt after uncle Toni admitted: "It's very serious. I don't know (if it's career-threatening)."

But the Spaniard's spokesman Benito Perez-Barbadillo told BBC Sport: "This is nothing new and really serious.

"It's something he lives with. It's definitely not career-threatening."

Nadal's season ended with a 6-4 6-1 defeat by world number one Roger Federer at the Masters Cup in Shanghai on 17 November, although he has since played an exhibition match against Richard Gasquet.

"He's had a very successful year," said Perez-Barbadillo. "He was probably the guy who played the second-most number of matches and he wouldn't do that if it was a serious problem.

"Rafa is not happy with what came out. He arrived back from a holiday in Egypt today and he starts training tomorrow, and plays an exhibition in Malaga at the weekend."

The physical nature of Nadal's game has often taken its toll - he had to pull out of a Davis Cup tie in March and carried a knee injury throughout the US Open.

"He's been affected by an injury to his foot since 2005," said Toni Nadal. "He has to learn how to live with it and so far he has managed for two years."

He added: "We are pleased with the season just finished, with the injury and everything. His play has improved and the matches have been less intense.

"Roger Federer is a fully-rounded player; Rafael has a different style. The key factor has been to shorten the length of matches and we have achieved that.

"His problem is that he has to play to maintain his physical tone and fitness levels. There's no other way to do it than by competing."

I wonder if Uncle Toni is trying to get sacked? :lol:

Castafiore
11-28-2007, 08:19 PM
If I was worried about having credibility on MTF, I wouldn't even admit to being a Rafa fan :p
Touché ;)

l_mac
12-09-2007, 03:49 PM
I saw a clip of Rafa training hard at vb.com. He was using different coloured strings (red), this has caused some confusion/excitement/trepidation.

Only 3 weeks till Chennai :eek:

NevaNadal
12-10-2007, 02:43 AM
I'm kinda hoping during the off season, I get a small bump on the head which will allow me to retain all memories EXCEPT for my love :inlove: and admiration :worship: for one Rafael Nadal. This would also allow me to remove my shrine to him and other embarrassing whatnots.

It's looks like 2008 will be a very trying time for Rafa......and his fans :sad: :) :confused:

Metis
12-10-2007, 07:34 AM
So, is Rafa ever going to announce his 2008 schedule, or is he planning to take it one tournament at a time? :awww:

I saw a clip of Rafa training hard at vb.com. He was using different coloured strings (red), this has caused some confusion/excitement/trepidation.

:spit: yes, if he loses more the red strings are to blame (tard excuse)... if he wins more then there is something fishy with those strings, cheater etc (hater excuse)... :p

I'm kinda hoping during the off season, I get a small bump on the head which will allow me to retain all memories EXCEPT for my love :inlove: and admiration :worship: for one Rafael Nadal. This would also allow me to remove my shrine to him and other embarrassing whatnots.

:unsure:... :silly:

cmurray
12-10-2007, 01:50 PM
:unsure:... :silly:

Xristos
12-11-2007, 04:52 AM

Only 3 weeks till Chennai :eek:

Maybe to match his red AO outfit?

Can you post me a link to the clip.

l_mac
12-12-2007, 08:11 PM
^^ Here you go http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJUDkDmupPs

Thanks to Patxy at vb.com :hug:

Xristos
12-13-2007, 01:00 AM
Nice thank you..

l_mac
12-15-2007, 01:31 AM
Rafa schedule and training news translated by nou.amic at vb.com
14 Dec 07 · MARCA (print edition)

TRABAJA MAS DE SEIS HORAS DIARIAS
Nadal se entrena de sol a sol
Joan Solsona
www.marca.com

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/8853/pretemporada2008marca01vg2.th.jpg (http://img81.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pretemporada2008marca01vg2.jpg)

HE PUTS IN MORE THAN SIX HOURS A DAY

Nadal trains from sunrise to sunset...

... getting the most out of himself so as to have a chance at winning the Australian Open title and of closing the gap on Federer

Since 4th December, Rafael Nadal's alarm clock has gone off every day at 9 a.m. This has only been interrupted one weekend, for him to go to the Malaga Masters and from there to a photo session for Nike in Barcelona. That same day in Barcelona, he underwent a physical test in the CAR in San Cugat. "The results were satisfactory," confirmed his doctor, Angel Ruiz Cotorro.

After a quick breakfast, Rafa begins his routine on the Manacor practice courts, the same ones where he picked up his first racquet sometime in the spring of 1990. First on the agenda is an exercise session supervised by Joan Forcades, whose pupil keeps his weight at a constant 82 kilos thanks to relative force exercises that do not make use of weights. When preparing for a new season, the most important is aerobic work, in generous amounts, to build up resistance.

Meanwhile, his uncle and coach, Toni Nadal, is anxiously awaiting him, racquet in hand. But, before that, Rafael Maymo, the player's physio, appears to tape him up expertly. "We do two and a half hours of tennis until we stop for lunch. There are things to improve," he explains. "We've got to be more aggressive to shorten the points, but we won't be making grip changes like last year. To tell the truth, they didn't work."

The king of clay arrived at the Australian Open without a clear pattern of play, despite reaching the semi-finals in Chennai, and he paid for it with tennis that was unconvincing until he got to Dubai. "I had many doubts. It's impossible to turn up in Melbourne in a worse state. I didn't really know what I was doing and I got to the quarter-finals. That wasn't bad. The more continental, the more closed grip didn't have the desired effect. It's difficult to play with no confidence," Nadal explained.

Every afternoon, he spends one and a half hours on serves, returns and volleys. "The aim is to serve harder and improve the placement, but up to a certain point. We'll never serve like Murray. The important thing is to achieve the continuity we haven't had in the past, combining good tournaments like Indian Wells and Miami with others like the Shanghai Masters," commented his mentor.

When the sun sets in Manacor, Rafa has another exercise session waiting for him, this time in the gymnasium. "He runs on an exercise belt, cycles and rows, but we haven't done any swimming to save on his joints yet. We haven't needed to," said Dr Angel Cotorro.

This spartan training regime will end on 20th December when Nadal travels to Madrid to play a seven-a-side football match at the Rockódromo (Madrid Arena) to raise funds for the fight against malaria. There will be other tennis players from the tour on the teams. When he returns to Mallorca, he will only do on-court training with his friend Carlos Moyà, who will then be back from Buenos Aires. They will board the same flight to Chennai. On January 1st, after bringing in the New Year, his season will get under way in India, at the tournament in Chennai.

He will then have a week in Melbourne to get accustomed to the new Australian Open surface, a cement one that has replaced the traditional Rebound Ace. "Though what really matters are the balls," says Toni. "Depending on which ones they are, the effects you can put on them can be greater or less." This time Rafa has missed out on the Kooyong Classic, the pre-Australian Open exhibition tournament, "because by the time we wanted to be in it, it was already too late".

By Joan Solsona
Translated by nou.amic for VamosBrigade.com

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/8317/pretemporada2008marca02yx8.th.jpg (http://img81.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pretemporada2008marca02yx8.jpg). . Para 2009, Rafa se plantea volver a la tierra de Sudamérica

This other brief article, also by Joan Solsona, has nothing new. It says he had planned on playing the Costa do Sauipe, Buenos Aires and Acapulco tournaments on the Latin American claycourt swing this year, as clay where you can slide is not so hard on his chronic foot injury as hardcourts where you have to brake more abruptly, but the fact that the Davis Cup first round tie is in Peru, the compression of the schedule with Indian Wells being moved back, and that it is an Olympic year, all meant more trips and more matches for him. The article says he plans to return to play in South America in 2009, though.

It also says he leaves for Chennai on 28th December and that his coach there will once again be Francis Roig.

Thanks, nou :hug:

Don't practise too hard, Rafa :angel: I'm pleased he'll be doing the SA clay in 2009.

Monteque
12-16-2007, 03:15 AM
2008 surely is going to tougher than 07 for Rafa with all kind changes they make and shorter clay season....so DONT GIVE UP RAFA cause i like this era esp. the classic rivalry between Rafa-Fed, and now Rafa-Nalby, Rafa-Gasquet, i always waiting those matches :)

RogiRafaFan86
12-17-2007, 04:38 PM
Rafa's schedule for the first half of the season is up on his site.

http://www.rafaelnadal.com/en/calendar-07.htm

No surprises, really, if you've been listening to what Team Nadal has been saying. They've been pretty straightforward about their plans.

Xristos
12-17-2007, 05:03 PM
Ohh if only Rafa played Kooyong..

Maybe he still will play one match, one can hope.

l_mac
12-17-2007, 08:35 PM
Rafa's schedule for the first half of the season is up on his site.

http://www.rafaelnadal.com/en/calendar-07.htm

No surprises, really, if you've been listening to what Team Nadal has been saying. They've been pretty straightforward about their plans.

Yeah, no surprises. :(

GuiroNl
01-07-2008, 08:33 PM
So his team wanted him to play Kooyong this year. Maybe, with Fed's withdrawal he'll play a match or 2?

l_mac
01-07-2008, 08:46 PM
^^ Hope not. I think he got enough matches last week.

MariaV
01-07-2008, 09:19 PM
Yeah, I think it was quite enough for him. And he said so himself.

Sunset of Age
01-07-2008, 09:25 PM
That would be an insane thing to do.

l_mac
01-08-2008, 12:29 AM
krystel said on GM that Baggy is taking Fed's place.

MariaV
01-08-2008, 10:10 AM
And Davydenko will replace Haas.
Thank God Rafa is still a quite reasonable person. :angel:

l_mac
01-24-2008, 07:29 PM
Uncle Toni is advising Rafa not to travel to Peru for the Davis Cup. But Rafa will make the final decision.

MariaV
01-24-2008, 08:32 PM
They do NOT need him in Peru but try to argue with Rafa. :lol:

Metis
01-24-2008, 09:17 PM
I hope Rafa listens to Toni. They can do well without him in Peru.

l_mac
01-25-2008, 06:21 PM
I think it's now confirmed Rafa won't play DC.

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/breakingnews/feedstory/0,,-7255900,00.html

Nadal and Ferrero opt out of Davis Cup tie against Peru

MADRID, Jan 25 (Reuters) - World number two Rafael Nadal and Juan Carlos Ferrero have opted out of Spain's opening Davis Cup tie against Peru to concentrate on the hard court season.

World number five David Ferrer will spearhead the Spanish challenge in Nadal's absence for the first round World Group clash on clay at the Jockey Club in Lima between Feb. 8 and 10.
Team captain Emilio Sanchez Vicario also said on Friday that world-ranked number 31 Nicolas Almagro had been called up to the the Davis Cup team for the first time.

Tommy Robredo and Fernando Velasco complete the lineup.

Getta
01-25-2008, 06:37 PM
That's good to hear.

Tnn74
01-25-2008, 10:49 PM
that's a good decision... as they will be fine without him in Peru... :angel:

l_mac
01-26-2008, 04:53 PM
Rafa's year so far, and his schedule up to the start of the Clay.

DEC 31 Chennai Chennai Open (H) - FINAL (lost to Youzhny) (+ 45)
JAN 14 Melbourne Australian Open (H) -SF (lost to Tsonga) (+200)

FEB 4 Davis Cup First Round

FEB 18 Rotterdam ABN AMRO World Tennis Tournament (IH)

MAR 3 Dubai The Dubai Tennis Championships (H)
MAR 10 ATP MASTERS SERIES Indian Wells Pacific Life Open (H)
MAR 24 ATP MASTERS SERIES Miami Sony Ericsson Open (H)

APR 7 Davis Cup Quarterfinal

Johnny Groove
01-26-2008, 04:56 PM
I still think he shoulda played BA and Acapulco, and then stay in North America to train at IW.

I mean, he is the defending champ, he should want to acclimate to the conditions well, and the clay events are basically free points and cash.

l_mac
01-26-2008, 04:58 PM
I still think he shoulda played BA and Acapulco

Well he isn't going to for whatever reason, but he is next year :woohoo:

l_mac
01-29-2008, 11:35 PM
:rolleyes:

Davis Cup captain understands Nadal's decision to opt out
Tue 29 Jan, 01:31 PM

MADRID (Reuters) - Rafael Nadal's decision to opt out of Spain's Davis Cup tie against Peru is understandable given the physical problems the world number two has experienced in recent seasons, captain Emilio Sanchez-Vicario said.

"The difficult thing for him about this tie is that he has been training on hard surfaces for the last four months and playing on clay for two weeks and then going back to hard courts would require a great effort," Sanchez-Vicario told sports daily AS on Tuesday.

"With his present physical limitations changes of surface are not recommended."

Nadal, who has experienced intermittent problems with an injury to his left foot since 2005, reached the semi-finals of the Australian Open, where he was beaten by unseeded Frenchman Jo-Wilfried Tsonga.

Spain will also be without Juan Carlos Ferrero after the former world number one decided to concentrate on the hardcourt season.

"He decided not to come because playing on clay didn't fit in with his plans," said Sanchez-Vicario.

"I always try to select the best team. I tried to convince the best players to come but it is a difficult year because of the Davis Cup and the Olympics and it isn't the best time for any player.

"I respect their decisions as I was a player too and I know about these situations."

World number five David Ferrer will spearhead the Spanish challenge in Nadal's absence for the World Group first round tie which will be played on clay at the Jockey Club in Lima between February 8 and 10.

Tommy Robredo, Fernando Verdasco and Nicolas Almagro complete the Spanish line-up.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/080129/2/xs3g.html

Fan the flames, Emilio :lol:

NaDALiTa
01-30-2008, 12:26 AM
he isn't a cripple tho :shrug: and the Spanish team doesn't Rafa to win this tie!

Last year when he got injured vs Switzerland the surface was the same!The start of the season is too decisive to take risks.

Sunset of Age
01-30-2008, 02:50 PM
Very strange article, indeed.
Hasn't Rafa himself said there is nothing wrong with him very recently? :confused:

Metis
01-30-2008, 04:31 PM
Why are you people surprised? He is not injured they just have to say something to excuse his absence since he is the No1 Spanish player.

This is what Nadal said:

Nadal says he's not ready for Spain's Davis Cup match with Peru

Associated Press

MADRID, Spain -- Rafael Nadal (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/players/profile?playerId=261) thinks Spain has a better chance of beating Peru in the first round of the Davis Cup without him.

The three-time French Open champion is skipping Spain's match on clay in Lima from Feb. 8-10 because of fatigue after traveling back from the Australian Open.

"I arrived in Australia with a time change of 10 hours and if I go to Peru now it'll be hard to be 100 percent," the second-ranked Nadal said Tuesday. "It's better if those who are already prepared go. I don't consider myself suitable for this tie."

Nadal, who reached the semifinals in Melbourne but lost to Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/players/profile?playerId=435), is confident the Spanish public will understand his decision, especially with No. 5 David Ferrer (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/players/profile?playerId=346), 17th-ranked Tommy Robredo and clay-court specialist Nicolas Almagro (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/players/profile?playerId=270) available. Fernando Verdasco (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/players/profile?playerId=366) is also on the team.

"I've always done all I could to play and this is the first time that I haven't volunteered myself. I hope people understand my reasons and if not, I'm sorry," said Nadal, who helped lead Spain over the United States in the 2004 final.

"I think we'll win anyway and move on to the quarterfinals. If the captain [Emilio Sanchez Vicario] wants it, I'll go for the next round."

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=3221744

l_mac
01-30-2008, 04:50 PM
I thought Emilio said those things because he is pissed with Rafa :lol:

I'm glad he's not playing.

I read at vb that he played golf instead of watching the AO Final :lol:

NaDALiTa
01-30-2008, 09:18 PM
:lol: :lol: it seems that a lot of tennis players aren't keen on watching tennis ...well watch the Djoke winning a slam isn't that much fun,at least less fun than playing golf!

Sunset of Age
01-31-2008, 03:36 AM

:aplot:

:lol: :lol: it seems that a lot of tennis players aren't keen on watching tennis ...well watch the Djoke winning a slam isn't that much fun,at least less fun than playing golf!

Exactly. :angel:
Roger didn't care, Rafa had better things to do. Good for the both of them! :yeah:

Tnn74
01-31-2008, 04:56 AM
Yet, most players tuned in to watch last year's Wimbly/FO, of course :angel:

l_mac
03-09-2008, 09:41 PM
Updated, with year so far results :mad: ;)

FEB 18 Rotterdam ABN AMRO World Tennis Tournament (IH) 2nd Round (lost to Seppi :retard:)
MAR 3 Dubai The Dubai Tennis Championships (H) QF (lost to Roddick)

MAR 10 ATP MASTERS SERIES Indian Wells Pacific Life Open (H)
MAR 24 ATP MASTERS SERIES Miami Sony Ericsson Open (H)

APR 7 Davis Cup Quarterfinal

APR 21 ATP MASTERS SERIES Monte-Carlo Masters Series Monte-Carlo (CL)
APR 28 Barcelona Open SEAT 2008 (CL) (confirmed by official site)
MAY 5 ATP MASTERS SERIES Rome Campionati BNL d’Italia (CL)

JULY 28 ATP MASTERS SERIES Cincinnati Western & Southern Financial Group Masters (H)

AUG 11 2008 OLYMPICS

AUG 25 New York US Open (H)

SEP 15 Davis Cup Semifinal*
SEP 22 Bangkok Thailand Open (IH) ??

NOV 10 Tennis Masters Cup Shanghai Tennis Masters Cup Shanghai (IS) ??
NOV 17 Davis Cup Final

Clay Death
03-10-2008, 03:51 AM
I thought Emilio said those things because he is pissed with Rafa :lol:

I'm glad he's not playing.

not very smart. those are the guys who are going to be beating the hell out of him on hard courts again and again. why not watch and see how they approach the game and how they solve problems on the hard courts.

Fed watches these matches and learns as much as he can.

l_mac
05-08-2008, 08:11 PM
Results this year and projected schedule until Olympics :mad:

MAR 10 ATP MASTERS SERIES Indian Wells Pacific Life Open (H) SF (lost to Nole :bigcry:)
MAR 24 ATP MASTERS SERIES Miami Sony Ericsson Open (H) Finalist (lost to Davydenko)

MAY 5 ATP MASTERS SERIES Rome Campionati BNL d’Italia (CL) 2nd round (lost to Ferrero)

AUG 11 2008 OLYMPICS

l_mac
05-08-2008, 08:13 PM
. I know he won't, but he should drop Barcelona and Stuttgart. He should have thought things through more carefully before commiting to Stuttgart for two years.

I really think he might drop Barcelona though now that the schedule has been shortened and there is no break between that tournament and Rome.

Though I might swap Barcelona for Hamburg.

See? We told you you should have dropped Barca in November, numpty.

l_mac
07-06-2008, 01:41 PM

MAY 12 ATP MASTERS SERIES Hamburg Masters Series Hamburg (CL) WON

MAY 26 Paris Roland Garros (CL) WON

JUNE 9 London The Artois Championships (G) WON

JUNE 23 Wimbledon Wimbledon (G) WON

AUG 11 2008 OLYMPICS

:mad: :mad:

I really thought Rafa would withdraw from Stuttgart, but no, he's still going. His hands look like crap, and he must be exhausted. He's crazy.

If he goes there just to pacify the sponsors, and then withdraws, I will be pleased.

nashty
07-07-2008, 06:43 PM
^^ so i guess you are pleased now.:D

zero060891
07-07-2008, 07:28 PM
Love that Rafa decides to rest, 2 weeks is very important. I think he will dominate the hard court soon

l_mac
07-07-2008, 07:54 PM
^^ I don't, but I don't care. Hardcourt tennis is the least inspiring IMO.

Wimbledon Champion! :woohoo: :woohoo:

^^ so i guess you are pleased now.:D

Very.

He's a good boy.

Hope his knee is okay :scared: :awww:

Tnn74
07-08-2008, 01:25 AM
Good for Rafa to withdraw...
He needs the rest :angel:

Mansave_75
07-09-2008, 07:31 PM
Although as a Rafa Fan I like to see him playing I understand he has to rest. The summer HC season will be tough and he has to rest.
RAFA YOU'RE A LEGEND. :)

rafa_maniac
07-11-2008, 03:37 AM
Does anyone know if rafa plans to play any other optionals besides the olympics for the rest of the year, and if he's definately playing cincy?

Lopaka
07-11-2008, 06:09 AM
Assuming he is healthy he will play the Davis Cup semi and if Spain wins, then the final.

nashty
07-11-2008, 02:32 PM
For the rest of the calendar, how many points does Rafa have to defend? anyone?

I really hope he does better this year.

Lopaka
07-11-2008, 04:13 PM
Accepting Rafa loses 250 points for not playing Stuttgart he still has 1055 points to defend. (Rogers Cup, Canada - 225; Cincinnati - 5; USO - 150; Madrid - 125; Paris - 350; Master Cup - 200)

Based on Rogers Cup, Canada; Cincinnati; USO; Madrid; Paris; and the Masters Cup there are a total 3750 points available. Hopefully Rafa will also win points for his participation in the Olympics.

zero060891
07-11-2008, 04:33 PM
I believe Nadal will be more successful this year for 2 important reasons. The first is the glory of Wimbledon, it will boost his confidence to the near limit :worship: (It's very crucial because in 2007, after Wimbledon he seemed to be nervous against Big players). The second reason is his playing style now, more attacking, much better forehand and backhand as well. In my opinion, if he has a good movement on hard court, he will have many many chances to win more tours

nashty
07-12-2008, 01:43 PM
Accepting Rafa loses 250 points for not playing Stuttgart he still has 1055 points to defend. (Rogers Cup, Canada - 225; Cincinnati - 5; USO - 150; Madrid - 125; Paris - 350; Master Cup - 200)

Based on Rogers Cup, Canada; Cincinnati; USO; Madrid; Paris; and the Masters Cup there are a total 3750 points available. Hopefully Rafa will also win points for his participation in the Olympics.

Thanks!:) And hopefully he gets many points, slightly better than last year's would be good enough.:)

born_on_clay
07-16-2008, 10:01 AM
if he gains 1600 it will be ok :)

rafa_maniac
08-20-2008, 07:30 PM
Just reading back over all this thread, it's so wonderful seeing in hindsight how wrong people were with their cynicism over Rafa's injury, and his chances to do well this season. Personal favourite bit to read now:

"I so want him to win RG and Wimbledon back-to-back but I don't dare to hope for it since it's so hard to do.
Yes, the number 1, even if it's for a couple of weeks, would be good as well."

Done, done, and DONE! :D :worship:

l_mac
08-20-2008, 08:50 PM
No more optionals for Rafa :woohoo: :woohoo:

Hopefully.

Aenea
08-27-2008, 12:44 PM
Assuming he is healthy he will play the Davis Cup semi and if Spain wins, then the final.

I hope he doesn't play the SF, the team doesn't need him for those matches. All the Spaniards are strong on clay and they are playing vs USA for God's sake. Rafa better rests and plays in the finals. If Spain plays Argentina they'll definitely need him.

l_mac
09-20-2008, 04:37 PM
DEC 31 Chennai Chennai Open (H) - FINAL (lost to Youzhny) (5 matches)
JAN 14 Melbourne Australian Open (H) -SF (lost to Tsonga) (6 matches)

FEB 18 Rotterdam ABN AMRO World Tennis Tournament (IH) 2nd Round (lost to Seppi :retard:) (2 matches)
MAR 3 Dubai The Dubai Tennis Championships (H) QF(lost to Roddick) (3 matches)
MAR 10 ATP MASTERS SERIES Indian Wells Pacific Life Open (H) SF (lost to Nole :bigcry:) (5 matches)
MAR 24 ATP MASTERS SERIES Miami Sony Ericsson Open (H) Finalist (lost to Davydenko) (6 matches)

APR 7 Davis Cup Quarterfinal (Played, def. Keifer) (1 match)

APR 21 ATP MASTERS SERIES Monte-Carlo Masters Series Monte-Carlo (CL) WON (5 matches)
APR 28 Barcelona Open SEAT 2008 (CL) WON (5 matches)
MAY 5 ATP MASTERS SERIES Rome Campionati BNL d’Italia (CL) 2nd round (lost to blisters) (1 match)
MAY 12 ATP MASTERS SERIES Hamburg Masters Series Hamburg (CL) WON (5 matches)

MAY 26 Paris Roland Garros (CL) WON (7 matches)
JUNE 9 London The Artois Championships (G) WON (5 matches)
JUNE 23 Wimbledon Wimbledon (G) WON (7 matches)

JULY 21 ATP MASTERS SERIES Toronto Rogers Masters (H) WON (5 matches)
JULY 28 ATP MASTERS SERIES Cincinnati Western & Southern Financial Group Masters (H) SF (lost to Nole) (4 matches)

AUG 11 2008 OLYMPICS WON (6 matches)

AUG 25 New York US Open (H) SF (lost to Murray) (6 matches)

SEP 15 Davis Cup Semifinal* (1 match so far)

NOV 10 Tennis Masters Cup Shanghai Tennis Masters Cup Shanghai (IS)
NOV 17 Davis Cup Final

Rafa only has 3 more tour events to play this season, and the DC final (if they get there)

He's played a huge number of matches this year. And while this has been great I am already worried about the pay off for this next year.

If Spain play the DC final he'll have to go to (likely) Argentina straight from Shanghai, with maximim of a week between matches. His season (which started on Dec 31st 2007) won't end until November 23rd. :awww:

l_mac
09-20-2008, 05:48 PM
Chennai

Nadal def. Montcourt 6-2 6-4
Nadal def. Ram 6-2 6-1
Nadal def. Garcia-Lopez 6-3 6-2
Nadal def. Moya 6-7 7-6 7-6
Youzhny def. Nadal 6-0 6-1

Australian Open

Nadal def. Troicki 7-6 7-5 6-1
Nadal def. Serra 6-0 6-2 6-2
Nadal def. Simon 7-5 6-2 6-3
Nadal def. Mathieu 6-4 3-0 (ret)
Nadal def. Nieminen 7-5 6-3 6-1
Tsonga def. Nadal 6-2 6-3 6-2

Rotterdam

Nadal def. Tursunov 6-4 6-4
Seppi def. Nadal 3-6 6-3 6-4

Dubai

Nadal def. Kohlschreiber 3-6 6-1 6-4
Nadal def. Ledovskikh 6-4 6-0
Roddick def. Nadal 7-6 6-2

AMS Indian Wells

Nadal def. Giraldo 6-3 6-3
Nadal def. Young 6-1 6-3
Nadal def. Tsonga 6-7 7-6 7-5
Nadal def. Blake 7-5 3-6 6-3
Djokovic def. Nadal 6-3 6-2

AMS Miami

Nadal def. Becker 7-5 6-2
Nadal def. Kiefer 6-2 6-4
Nadal def. Mathieu 6-4 6-4
Nadal def. Blake 3-6 6-3 6-1
Nadal def. Berdych 7-6 6-2
Davydenko def. Nadal 6-4 6-2

Davis Cup QF

Nadal def. Kiefer 7-6 6-0 6-3

AMS Monte Carlo

Nadal def. Ancic 6-0 6-3
Nadal def. Ferrero 6-4 6-1
Nadal def. Ferrer 6-1 7-5
Nadal def. Davydenko 6-3 6-2
Nadal def. Federer 7-5 7-5 :worship:

Barcelona

Nadal def. Starace 6-4 6-2
Nadal def. Lopez 6-4 6-3
Nadal def. Chela 6-4 6-2
Nadal def. Gremelmayr 6-1 6-0
Nadal def. Ferrer 6-1 4-6 6-1 :worship:

AMS Rome

Ferrero def. Nadal 7-5 6-1

AMS Hamburg

Nadal def. Starace 7-6 6-4
Nadal def. Murray 6-3 6-2
Nadal def. Moya 6-1 6-3
Nadal def. Djokovic 7-5 2-6 6-2
Nadal def. Federer 7-5 6-7 6-3 :worship:

French Open

Nadal def. Bellucci 7-5 6-3 6-1
Nadal def. Devilder 6-4 6-0 6-1
Nadal def. Nieminen 6-1 6-3 6-1
Nadal def. Verdasco 6-1 6-0 6-2
Nadal def. Almagro 6-1 6-1 6-1
Nadal def. Djokovic 6-4 6-2 7-6
Nadal def. Federer 6-1 6-3 6-0 :worship:

Queen's

Nadal def. Bjorkman 6-2 6-2
Nadal def. Nishikori 6-4 3-6 6-3
Nadal def. Karlovic 6-7 7-6 7-6
Nadal def. Roddick 7-5 6-4
Nadal def. Djokovic 7-6 7-5 :worship:

Wimbledon

Nadal def. Beck 6-4 6-4 7-6
Nadal def. Gulbis 5-7 6-2 7-6 6-3
Nadal def. Kiefer 7-6 6-3 6-2
Nadal def. Youzhny 6-3 6-3 6-3
Nadal def. Murray 6-3 6-2 6-4
Nadal def. Schuettler 6-1 7-6 6-3
Nadal def Federer 6-4 6-4 6-7 6-7 9-7:worship:

AMS Toronto

Nadal def. Levine 6-4 6-2
Nadal def. Andreev 6-2 7-6
Nadal def. Gasquet 6-7 6-2 6-1
Nadal def. Murray 7-6 6-5
Nadal def. Kiefer 6-3 6-2 :worship:

AMS Cincinnati

Nadal def. Serra 6-0 6-1
Nadal def. Haas 6-4 7-6
Nadal def. Lapentti 7-6 6-1
Djokovic def. Nadal 6-1 7-5

Beijing Olympics

Nadal def. Starace 6-2 3-6 6-2
Nadal def. Hewitt 6-1 6-2
Nadal def. Andreev 6-4 6-2
Nadal def. Melzer 6-0 6-4
Nadal def. Djokovic 6-4 1-6 6-4
Nadal def. Gonzalez 6-3 7-6 6-3 :worship:

US Open

Nadal def. Phau 7-6 6-3 7-6
Nadal def. De Heart 6-1 6-2 6-4
Nadal def. Troicki 6-4 6-3 6-0
Nadal def. Querrey 6-2 5-7 7-6 6-3
Nadal def. Fish 3-6 6-1 6-4 6-2
Murray def. Nadal 6-2 7-6 4-6 6-4

Davis Cup SF

Nadal def. Querrey 6-7 6-4 6-3 6-4
Nadal def. Roddick 6-4 6-0 6-4

AMS Madrid

Nadal def. Gulbis 7-5 3-6 6-3
Nadal def. Gasquet 6-4 6-2
Nadal def. Lopez 6-4 6-4
Simon def. Nadal 46 63 76

AMS Paris

Nadal def. Serra
Nadal def. Monfils
Davydenko def. Nadal 6-1 (ret)

What a lot of matches :sad:

Getta
09-20-2008, 05:58 PM
If Spain play the DC final he'll have to go to (likely) Argentina straight from Shanghai, with maximim of a week between matches. His season (which started on Dec 31st 2007) won't end until November 23rd. :awww:

Just enjoy the present. :)
We've got to deal with future problems if and when they arrive.

Getta
09-20-2008, 05:59 PM
We've got to deal with future problems if and when they arrive.

Well, this is exactly what I never do. :lol:

Metis
09-20-2008, 06:47 PM
Linda :lol:

As Getta said let's enjoy this great year, 8 titles already, 2 GS, Olympic gold, 3 AMS :banana:. When 2009 comes we'll worry about it. It's not in our hands anyway. :sad:

I like the surface-based coloring of the matches :lol:

wildegirl05
09-20-2008, 07:27 PM

and that's not even counting the doubles he's played :eek:

poor rafito :hug: