Too short, Too light, Too Fat [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Too short, Too light, Too Fat

heya
06-05-2004, 11:58 PM
Too short? Too light? No problem, says Coria
PARIS

HERE is one for the midgets, proclaimed French Open title favourite Guillermo Coria after reaching the Roland Garros final.

The slightly-built, 22-year-old weighs in at just 65kg and stands at only 1.75m compared to the world's top two men, Roger Federer and Andy Roddick - 80kg, 1.85m and 89kg, 1.88m respectively.

On top of that, he lacks the all-consuming big serve which is a feature of the men's game.

But the Argentinian is adamant that those drawbacks will not hamper him when he faces compatriot Gaston Gaudio in tonight's final.

'Those players who serve very fast tend to have a low percentage, whereas both Gaston and I have a high percentage. That is very important,' said Coria, proudly sporting an Argentinian football shirt.

Coria, who defeated Britain's Tim Henman 3-6, 6-4, 6-0, 7-5 on Friday to reach the final, has something else to prove to the slightly taller and heavier Gaudio.

The two had a bitter clash last year at the Hamburg Masters which ended in fisticuffs in the locker room after their semi-final match.

At one set all and up a break in the decider, Coria pointedly thumped his chest and glared at Gaudio at a change-over with the message: 'You have no heart.'

Coria went on to win that set 6-0 but an incensed Gaudio and one of his coaches pinned Coria against a wall in the locker room after the game. They had to be separated by officials. According to Gaudio, it is all in the past.

'We talked about it and that's it,' he said after his straight-sets demolition of the third of the Argentinian semi-finalists, David Nalbandian, on Friday. 'It's over. Everything is clear now.'

Coria comes from the small provincial town of Venado Tuerto, three hours from Buenos Aires, and is a product of the Argentinian tennis federation coaching system.

Gaudio is a city boy from Buenos Aires who dabbled in football and rugby before ploughing his own furrow through the junior tennis ranks in Argentina.

The unseeded player admits that he will need to play 'unbelievable' tennis to get the better of third-seeded Coria, who was named after Guillermo Vilas, the last Argentinian to win the French Open in 1977.

He said: 'I have to convince myself that I have the ability. If it happened, great. If not, what can you do?' -- AFPhttp://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/sweat/story/0,4386,254808,00.html

tangerine_dream
06-06-2004, 12:15 AM
It's a shame the Argentines don't get along so well. :o

I'm glad the young Americans are such good friends. :)

Carito_90
06-06-2004, 01:00 AM
Yah Argentinean players don't really get along :lol:
And yes, guys here are pretty agressive.

Anyway... good luck Coria! :)

J. Corwin
06-06-2004, 10:57 AM
Why not just all be one happy family. :)

star
06-06-2004, 01:11 PM
They get along to some extent. When Calleri had that tough three setter with Soederling at IW, there were a bunch of Argentine guys and some Spanish guys too cheering for him.

I think that one thing that is different with them and say the Spanish or French guys is that the Argentine federation doesn't have much money and decides which young players to favor. Coria and Nalbandian (I think that is right) got money from the federation, but Chela, Calleri, Canas, and Gaudio didn't. That sort of thing creates jealousy, I think.

Anyway, Gaudio has got his sports psychiatrist now and that seems to have done wonders for him. That's a good thing because his mental meltdowns were painful to see.

Carito is off to some sports bar this morning to watch the match. She should have a lot of fun. :)

Fumus
06-21-2004, 02:58 PM
Too short, too light, too fat I thought for a second this was a thread about Robby, Coria, and Dent(respectively) :lol:

Jennay
06-21-2004, 06:07 PM
Fumus! :lol:

Fumus
06-21-2004, 06:22 PM
Jennay!! I am not a smart man but, I know what love is!:lol:

Jennay
06-21-2004, 08:19 PM
Fumus!! I can see you have love for Robby, Coria, and Taylor. :lol:

Fumus
06-21-2004, 08:23 PM
I have love for the two Americans...:kiss:

Jennay
06-21-2004, 08:25 PM
Well Taylor's just a fat ass.. no offense to him, he knows I love him :kiss:

Fumus
06-21-2004, 08:27 PM
He's not a fat ass, he just big boned....ert..big stomached...

Jennay
06-21-2004, 08:33 PM
Well he does have a fat ass. *smack*

Fumus
06-21-2004, 08:41 PM
*austin powers voice* oooo, bee-have!

Jennay
06-21-2004, 08:46 PM
Yeah, baby ;)