Patty Mac causes a stir [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Patty Mac causes a stir

Goonergal
08-22-2002, 01:53 PM
McEnroe's jibe at top stars

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/38211000/jpg/_38211088_safin300.jpg
McEnroe says Safin should win more Slams

US Davis Cup captain Patrick McEnroe believes the inability of the top players to dominate on a regular basis is damaging the men's game.

McEnroe insists the likes of Lleyton Hewitt, Marat Safin and Roger Federer should be taking an iron grip on the Grand Slam tournaments.

And he is "shocked" that Thomas Johansson and Albert Costa have been able to win major championships this year.

That Thomas Johansson won a Grand Slam to me was shocking

Patrick McEnroe
"You can't say that there aren't personalities in the men's game," McEnroe said at the draw for the US Open.

"There's Lleyton Hewitt, Marat Safin, Roger Federer - these guys are great players, interesting guys.

"What we do need more of is the best guys doing well consistently. I think that has been a problem for the men's game this year."

McEnroe played his tennis at the end of an era when his elder brother John, Bjorn Borg, Jimmy Connors and Ivan Lendl had enjoyed fierce rivalries.

A similar situation has developed in the women's game where big hitters like Serena and Venus Williams, Jennifer Capriati and Lindsay Davenport have begun to dominate.

World number one Hewitt has won two of the last four men's Grand Slam tournaments, but his Wimbledon triumph came against rank outsider David Nalbandian.

And McEnroe insists the respective victories of Johansson and Costa at the Australian and French Opens are bad for the sport.

"This year Thomas Johansson won the Australian Open - he is a fine player but, to me, that he won a Grand Slam was shocking.

"And Albert Costa, who is a fine guy and a very good player on clay, he wins a Slam too.

"It's like this guy who won the USPGA (golf championship) the other day. It's very similar - what is his name?

"It's the same about tennis... 'who is this guy Costa who won the French'?

"What I hope is that the best - who I think are players like Federer, Safin and Hewitt - consistently do well in the big tournaments.

"If that happens, I think it will get a little bit better."

McEnroe's comments could cause a stir in his home country as he fails to name any American players on his wish list of future winners, despite his role as Davis Cup captain.

tennischick
08-22-2002, 01:57 PM
at least his list of the three "best" players are all non-American so folks can't accuse him of wanting the Yanks to dominate the tour as they are doing on the WTA side of the fence.

and actually this has been Egg's point alll along -- 2002 the Year of Nobodies. lol! i wish these guys would come up with their thoughts and stop trolling tennisboards for ideas...;) ;)

Lindsayfan
08-22-2002, 02:02 PM
he shouldnt come out telling these nasty things about Johansson and Costa,and also about Rich Reem (or whatever is his name!),it's very rude!but i think he's right... :o

Nimi
08-22-2002, 03:31 PM
Omg he is such an idiot.
What he said that the top players not dominating is right, but than he says the Albert shouldnt have won the French?? Look at his trophys, there are like 12 clay court titles there.

ILR
08-22-2002, 03:34 PM
hmm maybe he is right aboutRogi,he hasnt won a grand slam yet!Im sure he will do.I am cheering all the way! :D Hewitt usually always does well in slams and Safin won the US Open 2000.....but there are too many good players out there and wouldnt it be boring if just 3 players dominated every tournament? (yes even if 1 of them is Rogi! ;))

PS.I think its Rich Beem! ;)

ILR
08-22-2002, 03:35 PM
pps. Johansson and Costa deserved the titles because they played consistantly good tennis beating some of the top seeds

:D

Lily
08-22-2002, 07:31 PM
Just as I was about to rip into dear mr. pattymac, he goes and says nice things about Roger. So maybe he isnt a total jerk after all. But he's still a jerk to some degree. For him to disrespect the accomplishments of Johansson and Costa after such victories is just unacceptable. What does he want to do? Go up to those guys and say...I'm sorry, but your wins are really bad for the sport, you'll have to return your trophies....oh please! Hey, you play 2 great weeks of tennis, beat some seeds along the way, fight your heart out in the final....you deserve to win! If anyone is bad for the sport, its him!

irma
08-22-2002, 08:12 PM
how many grand slams did he win himself?
the reason why he is allowed to speak up his mind is not even because of himself
he should be a little bit quieter :o

irma
08-22-2002, 08:13 PM
the reason that he is daviscup captain is neither because of his own qualities.
I think the man should know his place :o

Chloe le Bopper
08-22-2002, 10:30 PM
"And Albert Costa, who is a fine guy and a very good player on clay, he wins a Slam too.

Um, yeah, he wins a slam on clay :p So where is the problem?

The only active player with more clay titles is Kuerten, and excuse him for being injured.

If someone had told Patty Mac right after Costa played Muster years ago, that this Costa guy would win the French someday - I dont think he would have been going on about how it would be bad for the sport :p

Vera
08-23-2002, 01:01 AM
Pat Mc has proved once again how shallow he is. Though I must say that no one would have thought that Johansson and Costa would win the Slams. But the fact that they did, deserve some respects. Of course, if the favorites always win, then it will make his job as a commentator a lot easier. At least, he wonít keep picking the wrong guy and gets his month slaps. I was surprised though, that he didnít mention his beloved protťgť Roddick. Iím sure that deep down, he knows Andy lacks the quality to make to the top. Well, at least Pat is not a total fool.

Is it only me, but I thought menís tennis is very exciting right now. Because itís high quality, unpredictable and a big serve wonít guarantee you a win anymore. Why is it good to see the Williams handing out bagels? So maybe Sampras and Agassi and other Americans are not dominating the game, does it make the American viewers lost interest? If thatís the case, thatís not men tennisí problem, itís American tennis problem. Donít get me wrong, I like Sampras and Agassi, but I actually lost interest watching Wimbledon final when Pete is on his third title. The predictability makes it boring to watch.

syd17
08-23-2002, 01:14 AM
well who'd give a f**k what this loser thinks neway considering his attitude over the year and neverending tantrums!

JonBcn
08-23-2002, 02:28 AM
Tosser.

anton
08-23-2002, 07:17 AM
Mac is fishing for controversy so he can sells books. Wonder if he'll phone his ex-wife and pay her off to trash him in the papers so the two of them will have a back and forth in the trash papers during the US OPEN. And then Mary Carillo will of course report the latest Mac news in between dissing Serena and Venus.

Chloe le Bopper
08-23-2002, 07:20 AM
This was Patrick, not John.

syd17
08-23-2002, 07:22 AM
sorry, i thought it was john macanroe (if thats how u spell it!), SORRY! :)

Chloe le Bopper
08-23-2002, 07:27 AM
Its all good ;)

anton
08-23-2002, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Rebecca
Its all good ;)

ops, i thought this was about john also.

irma
08-23-2002, 07:43 AM
no this the brother who owns his job to him(johnny) and still he can't keep his mouth

anton
08-23-2002, 07:46 AM
they both get on my nerves but I like Patrick better I think. John McEnroe is like a closet WTA hater and he is SO tiresome!!

TennisHack
08-24-2002, 10:03 PM
Perhaps it's better that I didn't see this when it was first posted . . . because I am LIVID.

Of course, it also gives me some *great* fodder for the story in the Juan Carlos forum.

PMac is a fucking idiot, and everytime he opens his mouth, he removes all doubt about it. :fiery:

Dissident
08-25-2002, 04:20 AM
And they give a guy like this a microphone and a camera.... :rolleyes:
Any of us here could do better. :bounce: ;)

AdriRob
08-25-2002, 05:23 PM
The guy knows what he is talking about...you don't need win grand slams to know about tennis.
I think he is right.......the best tennis players at the moment are not being consistent and thus the tour is somehow suffering.
we have come to a moment where we don't know who is gonna win or dominate the big slams..... I am not saying that 3 guys must rule the tour, but they should impose the game and be challenge for the others.
It's amazing that Johansoon had won a slam.....it proves the weakness of the top seeds.