Petition supporting GlennMirnyi (banned for 6 months from General Messages) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Petition supporting GlennMirnyi (banned for 6 months from General Messages)

Nathaliia
10-30-2007, 02:37 PM
In the name of many who have posted in my thread about "let GlennMirnyi post in GM again", I kindly ask for not closing this thread for few days. Let this place be a "vox populi" about his situation. I am GlennMirnyi's lawyer and the representant of MTF Amnesty.

Have you ever seen at the street a mother who out of the sudden hits a baby crying for a candy, and shouting with undeserved anger "You won't be getting any candies until you grow up and get smart"? Us, the passers-by, might know nothing about the situation. The mother must be probably very tired bringing up a naughty baby, though nothing ever excuses the big overreactions. The upgrowing annoyance upon someone's activity, whether it's a crying child or trolling GlennMirnyi leads often to actions that have no big sense for an objective observer.

Gustavo, aged 21, has been lately banned from MTF for 2 days and from General Messages for half a year while doing his routine troll check-up. On questions "Why was he banned?" us, his friends, were answering: "For doing the same as always". The following questions couldn't have been any different to: "Why him and not 80% of other GM users together with him?" and "Why for so long?".

As a former moderator, I cannot imagine a situation that has happened, such as banning a Premium Member from a certain forum section WITHOUT A WARNING, and replying to his PM, according to his report, lasted for 7 days. GlennMirnyi is undoubtfully one of the easiest recognizable MTF posters, therefore his sudden disappearance causes a lot of controversies, and especially requires the quick actions. Recalling the fact he has been banned 1,5 years ago for a week means nothing therefore not needing the warning makes no sense at all. There has been made an agreement on amnesty before the big widening the moderator team. We were about to work with the new rules - old bans don't count, 2 warnings and a ban, 3 timebans and a permban. At sudden situations, bans were allowed with no warning, for example telling another person to kill him/herself, I would also count into that the 2 day lasting ban for my client just to calm the general situation.

Gu isn't one of the illiterates or he isn't boarderlining hebephrenia like some of the people we have been dealing with in the past, it took me two minutes to tell him that this meant the end of accepting his controversial posts and that he had to change when he was back. He replied he understood everything, end of fun this way, time to change the style of posting for the sake of not playing with fire. Two minutes, that was it. No need of a six months ban, especially without letting him know before and defending himself.

As for the details of GlennMirnyi's behaviour, we don't say it was accurate with the rules that everybody has to accept joining forums. But the practise showed, it was accepted for a long time by the community, and some "jokes" addressed at some posters, despite their answers, were fitting into a convention that GlennMirnyi and spoken posters have silently agreed on (we can compare it to some insults between people during ACC that both sides find funny). Surely, not everybody had to enjoy having own post quoted and being called a dumb fanboy (even despite being a dumb fanboy for real) so the general idea of temporary suspension is understood. The lenght of it - is not understood. I suggest shortening it to one month or till the new season.

Feel free to leave the words of support for Gustavo.

GonzoFed
10-30-2007, 03:51 PM
Gu counts with my full support. He doesn't suffer fools very easily, that's his problem. Sure, he can be a little trollish sometimes, and be too harsh with some fanboys or fangirls, or just people who disagrees with him, but in a bad manner, because if you disagree with him but you show him your arguments in a reasonable and coherent way, he will engage in a debate without recurring to insults. Finally, if the MTF supermods thinks Gustavo deserves to be banned for the reasons exposed above, fine, but in that case (and this is why i consider to be this an extremely unfair banning) there are many MTF posters in GM who deserves to be banned much more than he is, and they keep spewing his/her bullshit without anyone taking strong action against them.

Black Adam
10-30-2007, 03:55 PM
The only thing that makes sense in this petition is the right for said poster to be given the chance to defend him/herself and in return be given a period to change his bad ways.I also support the fact that there should be warnings before banning a poster. I will support that motion.

The rest is totally irrelevant as this poster has had it coming to him for quite some time now and continued to ignore signs of trouble nevertheless. Having a vision of the game is one thing but trying to shove it down everybody's throats and bash those who refuse to swallow truly deserves some disciplinary procedure. Great to see that the mods can actually see the light. It's simply for the better good.

Words of support: Enjoy your free time wanker. :devil: Too bad you won't be in GM when Nadal become Number 1 early next year :sad: but there will be other quality trolls to fill up for you ;)

gulzhan
10-30-2007, 04:02 PM
I don't know the exact words (Americans may help here) but as their Constitution guy said--- I hate everything you say, but I'd give my life for you having right to say it!

I hate almost everything Gustavo says, there is no single ATP player we both like or dislike, not to mention Maria Sharapova (he breaks my heart after each match Masha loses). And I really disapprove of his manner of posting.

But.... it's true he did not do anything what many other posters do from time to time. So, such a long banning could be understood not as punishment for the tone of posting but punishment for openess. And that is not only wrong but also dangerous. Gustavo's posts, I think, merely aimed to add flavour to MTF in general and GM in particular. So, 2 days of banning from MTF and one month of banning from GM is a more adequate reaction to Gustavo's mmmh... arrogance.

I support this petition and hope the management will reconsider the length of the banning time.

TMJordan
10-30-2007, 04:03 PM
This is an absolute fucking joke, give him his money back.

Mods you are pathetic :o

Just because he keeps the absolute morons of this forum inline means he should be banned for half a year? give me a break and this without warning? come on.

danton
10-30-2007, 04:03 PM
I don't know whether he deserved 6 months it does seem like a long time. However just lately I have gone into GM threads to find he has trolled them to death. Page after page of insults and slagging off of playings and other posters that the point of the thread is lost. Yes other people shouldn't rise to the bait but with Glenn it's not just one troll post per thread it goes on for pages and when people do ignore him and try and return to topic he just increases the level of trolling.

This was my observation on approx 6 threads over the last month. It got to the point where I went to a thread on the last page it had numerous posts by him and I didn't even bother reading.

As I said six months seems like a long time and i don't know if he had a warning from the moderators but plenty of GM posters let him know his posts were not ok.

scoobs
10-30-2007, 04:07 PM
GlennMirnyi and I have clashed in the past, sometimes heatedly, so we are hardly what you would call the best of friends.

Yet I consider this ban to be unjust, unnecessarily harsh, and the whole situation has been handled poorly from the start.

I do not believe this ban is necessary at this time and I think it should be reversed, on the understanding that any future trouble will see it reinstated.

I'd be the first to agree he needs to reel it in a little sometimes but there's plenty of other people who post moronic things and aren't banned for six months as a result, and plenty of people who take exception to his brutal style of posting about some players and treat it like an attack upon themselves, attacking him personally in response. In my book that's their problem not his and he shouldn't be scapegoated for that.

decrepitude
10-30-2007, 04:11 PM
Ok, I will add my vote to the petition. I never agree with anything he says, and he is certainly at times offensive, but no more so than many others. Six months is far too long. A shorter ban and a stern warning to behave should be enough.

Rogiman
10-30-2007, 04:12 PM
I support Gustavo.

One may or may not identify with his posts but in the end it's all pretty harmless, and if he's viewed as a controversial poster then even better - these boards would be rather boring were ass kissers like the bunch of idiots who find J'torian's humor (giving tennis matches sexual connotations) funny.

It's not very democratic either.

*Viva Chile*
10-30-2007, 04:12 PM
Count with my support to Gu in this :yeah: For sure I sometimes really disagree with his thoughts, but if we're talking about trolling in GM, there are several another people who can make GM a really disgusting place. And over all, he's has pay membership and has posted over than 18000 messages so it's very unfair that people who are less than a month here started to complain against a recognized member here. And for other part, you can be so serious with all the staff that Gu posted in GM :lol:

stebs
10-30-2007, 04:14 PM
GlennMirnyi simply doesn't need a six month ban from GM. There are several reasons for this and here are just a few:

1 - From what I understand the offence was petty and nothing out of the ordinary. Perhaos he was warned and I'd like to assume he was but even so, a jump from a warning to a SIX month ban is out of order
2 - Glenn is an intelligent guy even though he enjoys trolling, this length of ban is stupid and makes no sense, if he is going to change then a few weeks of ban should do the job, if his new behaviour isn't 'acceptable' do whatever you want.
3 - There is far greater support for GM to stay in GM than to get rid of him, just because a few people can stand the heat doesn't mean a guy should get banned, there is an ignore function, if you don't want to read his posts then don't.

bokehlicious
10-30-2007, 04:16 PM
Gu rocks, set him free !

Hendu
10-30-2007, 04:16 PM
I have to admit I find the comparison of GlennMirnyi with a crying baby particularly apt. :p

Having said that,

FREE GUSTAVO!!!!!!!!!!

stebs
10-30-2007, 04:17 PM
I support Gustavo.

One may or may not identify with his posts but in the end it's all pretty harmless, and if he's viewed as a controversial then even better - these boards would be rather boring were ass kissers like the bunch of idiots who find J'torian's humor (giving tennis matches sexual connotations) funny.

It's not very democratic either.

Sorry about getting off topic but I couldn't agree more about the 'Perv Squad' thing. It is seriously, seriously weak humour, I wouldn't mind the sexual connotations jokes if they were funny but it's like catchphrase comedy and it got old so long ago. I wish I could put the jokes on ignore without having to ingore the actual interesting posts some of them make.

mtw
It is very sorry. What did he do?

scoobs
GlennMirnyi simply doesn't need a six month ban from GM. There are several reasons for this and here are just a few:

1 - From what I understand the offence was petty and nothing out of the ordinary. Perhaos he was warned and I'd like to assume he was but even so, a jump from a warning to a SIX month ban is out of order
2 - Glenn is an intelligent guy even though he enjoys trolling, this length of ban is stupid and makes no sense, if he is going to change then a few weeks of ban should do the job, if his new behaviour isn't 'acceptable' do whatever you want.
3 - There is far greater support for GM to stay in GM than to get rid of him, just because a few people can stand the heat doesn't mean a guy should get banned, there is an ignore function, if you don't want to read his posts then don't.

That's the point, isn't it - people need to take responsibility for themselves and not act like they have the right to demand that nobody disagree with them or offend them in any way. If you don't like a poster or what he says then put him on ignore, or just put up with it. Nobody has the right to expect other people never to offend them, life isn't like that. You need to be able to handle disagreement and argument like adults. Far too many people can't handle an honest argument without taking it personally that someone doesn't agree with them.

scoobs
10-30-2007, 04:20 PM
Sorry about getting off topic but I couldn't agree more about the 'Perv Squad' thing. It is seriously, seriously weak humour, I wouldn't mind the sexual connotations jokes if they were funny but it's like catchphrase comedy and it got old so long ago. I wish I could put the jokes on ignore without having to ingore the actual interesting posts some of them make.
I know some people don't like it, but that's the point isn't it - putting up with things you don't like is part of being on a board with a diverse membership.

Personally, I find C'MonAussie 2 or 3 "historical comparisons and snap judgements" threads a week, littered with %%***@@@~~~~@!!!@~@***$$, irritate the hell out of me, but you take the stuff you don't like in order to enjoy the bits that you do.

Naide
10-30-2007, 04:22 PM
It is very sorry. What did he do?

:hearts: you've been missed
Where's your fellow friend Kapranos?

*Viva Chile*
10-30-2007, 04:23 PM
why is this not in the suggestions board?? :sad: :confused:

bokehlicious
10-30-2007, 04:28 PM
So Gustavo is silenced and the likes of Jogy can spread their hatred around without even being warned? You got to be talented at modos' balls sucking I guess... :sad: :o

scarecrows
10-30-2007, 04:30 PM
signed

and i concur with what was said by most of the previous posters
there are much bigger trolls there left free and also the ignore function is there to be used

Sunset of Age
10-30-2007, 04:32 PM
I'd be the first to agree he needs to reel it in a little sometimes but there's plenty of other people who post moronic things and aren't banned for six months as a result, and plenty of people who take exception to his brutal style of posting about some players and treat it like an attack upon themselves, attacking him personally in response. In my book that's their problem not his and he shouldn't be scapegoated for that.

Scoobs said it just the way I feel about this...

Glenn can be a troll at times. A BIG TROLL, indeed.
However, he is not the only one, and there are certain posters around who are far worse (I'm not going to mention names here). Did they ever get banned? No.

I've asked for an explanation at times, and got an answer in the lines of 'if it bothers you, you should report said poster' or something the like. Which is okay with me... but - and I don't know if I'm right about this - I have the feeling that here lies the sore point: some people on this board feel insulted by even the slightest negative remark about their favourites, even taking it as an insult to a whole nation, I've recently seen. Apparently some of those have indeed reported Gu's post, which right they have, with the known consequences. But doesn't this procedure lead to the very injust system that a ban can result because of the childish, over-sensitive nature of certain posters? Ever heard of the saying 'if you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen?' :shrug:

Perhaps some over-sensitive posters should get used to the idea that on every forum, there are trolls - and one doesn't necessarily always have to continue FEEDING them. :rolleyes: Perhaps some moderators should have pointed this out to them, too. And how about the suggestion to just LAUGH at Gu's trolling? I don't know - just some thoughts.

Furthermore, Gu isn't just a troll - he knows a lot about TENNIS too, and I'm going to miss those more serious posts he made. We don't always have to agree, but these posts have surely been very valuable to me at times.

In all: I consider a six months ban way, way too long for his misdeamenor. I'm going to miss him.

ycpg
10-30-2007, 04:42 PM
Gustavo
Counts with my support, i don´t agree with everthing what you speak.
But I like you and know what you know about tennis.

I hope that the mods reconsider the time.Please

Merton
10-30-2007, 04:43 PM
Thanks for starting the petition Nathi, I also add my words of support for the reduction of the ban. There is a difference between player forum bans and a ban from GM. Player forums are communities where regular posters have the right to communicate in peace. Intruding there to needle regular posters is not acceptable and bans for posting there is a normal response.

GM is the forum for general information on tennis issues, so I do not understand how violating the rules for posting in GM is different than violating the rules of the forum in general. An offense that requires banning from GM is the same as an offense that requires banning from the forum. Saying in GM that "because of behavior such and such, player X sucks" may hurt the feelings of some fans of player X but is not bannable behavior. Saying "because of behavior such and such, player X sucks and all his fans also suck" may deserve, depending on the context and the circumstances, a ban from the forum but I cannot see how it will deserve a ban from GM but not a ban from the forum.

RickDaStick
10-30-2007, 04:45 PM
Man has MTF gone downhill lately. Bias Mods, screwing people who paid for premium membership by not providing the service they advertised. This place has turned into a joke. And now banning Gu from Gm just cause a few little fanboys couldnt handle him? There are many many posters in GM who should have been banned a long time ago but werent because they join some of the mods for a circle jerk on their favorite players. The only ban that should take place here is for the Bias mods(not all) who arent doing what they signed up for.Bring back Gu and get rid of the the mods who feel the need to remove a thread or suspend people just because they dont like what is being said about their favorite player and perhaps refund the people who paid for a membership yet recieve nothing due to all the problems with this board and finally VAMOSSS GU. The guy clearly has more tennis knowledge than 98 % of GM who are only their to talk about shirtless players and other fanboyish crap.

rofe
10-30-2007, 04:49 PM
The six month ban cannot be justified. He does troll sometimes but so do countless others and MTF has the ignore feature precisely for this reason. I support the petition for moderators to remove the ban. His ban has made no perceptible difference to the signal to noise ratio in GM so I fail to understand this harsh punishment.

rocketassist
10-30-2007, 04:50 PM
I support this petition. Gu has watched tennis for years, yes he may get on people's cases but he contributes far more to the forum than some people getting away with murder in there.

Björki
10-30-2007, 04:53 PM
I support Gu as well.

He just shouldnt be allowed to write "Fakeric" again! :D :p ;)

adee-gee
10-30-2007, 04:56 PM
As much as I think he's a tool, GM has become kind of boring. MTF thrives on trolls and clowns, if we got rid of all of them this place would be about as exciting as a Federer match is to Mirka.

I have no problem with his ridiculous posts in GM, I mainly object to him slaughtering some of the people he has about this ban with absolutely no substance to the attack.

mtw
10-30-2007, 05:00 PM
:hearts: you've been missed
Where's your fellow friend Kapranos?

He was not my friend. I do not know him. I don't know. Maybe he hides from Muslims ( it seems that he had terrible, irrational fear of all Muslims ).

mtw
10-30-2007, 05:01 PM
That's the point, isn't it - people need to take responsibility for themselves and not act like they have the right to demand that nobody disagree with them or offend them in any way. If you don't like a poster or what he says then put him on ignore, or just put up with it. Nobody has the right to expect other people never to offend them, life isn't like that. You need to be able to handle disagreement and argument like adults. Far too many people can't handle an honest argument without taking it personally that someone doesn't agree with them.

It is good that he did not get death penalty or something alike.
Poor Glen Mirnyi

Andre♥
10-30-2007, 05:07 PM
Gu is one the reasons why I like MTF. He isn't politically correct, so what? This is a internet forum, a place where people come to have fun, not to have some serious bullshit where you can't post (although without going too far) what you think. For that, we have real life, our problems, where we need to be Mr. Right or the whole world is coming after you.

The mods take MTF too seriously. This is a forum for people have fun. If I wanted to visit a place where nobody can cross the line without getting punished, I would have joined the army. I understand that some lines can't be crossed (racism and any other kind of discrimination) and as far as I know, Gustavo never crossed that line - unlike several members who did and continue to visit and post in MTF without any kind of problem.

Gustavo can be sometimes harsh and annoying, but he is far from being a bad person. He is also nice, a good buddy who has simply a strong personality and likes to have an opinion on every subject. He is also one of the few intelligent persons in here that understand that this is an internet forum, not the United Nations with the protocols, the fake smiles and the "Yes, sir" guys. This is MTF, a place where people discuss tennis on a passionate way.

The only crime Gustavo can be accused of is having a heart and not having a weak personality, being able to step up and say no to some of the "untouchable" persons in here. Punishing people for loving tennis so much that in the heat of the conversations they say something politically incorrect is killing the community.

People just take the Internet too seriously and want to create a whole new personality, different of the one they have in the real life. Gu is what he is and I praise him for being like that. For the ones that wanted to be like Gu and end up hiding on MTF, get some attitude. But not here showing who's the boss. Do it in real life, where it REALLY counts.

And yes, I stopped playing TT (although I may play Shanghai) mainly because I don't feel like part of this community anymore. It's just too strict for me.

Gustavo, you have my support! :yeah:

Naide
10-30-2007, 05:11 PM
He was not my friend. I do not know him. I don't know. Maybe he hides from Muslims ( it seems that he had terrible, irrational fear of all Muslims ).

It is good that he did not get death penalty or something alike.
Poor Glen Mirnyi

I'm your fan N°1. Too bad you're a girl, otherwise i would have married you.

JBdV
10-30-2007, 05:16 PM
What a ridiculous decision. How can he be banned for 6 months for apparently "insulting a nation" (personally I have never seen Glenn cross the line, his stuff in GM is just a bit of entertainment and no-one should take it personally) when I have seen many other posters insult whole nations and even go into those nations' players forums and troll in there, and nothing is done. It seems he just got into an argument with the wrong people and paid the price. But a ridiculously over-the-top price. 6 months ban is a joke :rolleyes:

Adler
10-30-2007, 05:17 PM
The ban decision was a bit harsh in my opinion. Personally, I haven't ever had any problems with GlennMirnyi, nor was I ever defamed by him. If it's true that there was not a single warning, it's a complete joke situation

I hope it will be all set up nicely

Ome
10-30-2007, 05:21 PM
I'm sure whoever sentenced this ban for him has their reasons. However, I can't seem to think of a single one to justify this 6-month ban. None.

Many posters signing this petition supporting GlennMirnyi despite their previous disagreements. Many posts here were left with reasons suggesting that the banning with such length is unnecessary. Why can't these reasons - at the very least - be taken into consideration as well?

Stensland
10-30-2007, 05:28 PM
can someone tell me what he has done what got him suspended?

R.Federer
10-30-2007, 05:30 PM
Let me just put it this way: this forum NEEDS Gu.

And let me add, if Adeegee says the forum needs Gu, believe me, the forum needs Gu.

I miss him. It is so boring to read only great compliments about each player, even though you know the poster means something else. We need Gu to call it as it is.

GM NEEDS GM!!!!

Kitty de Sade
10-30-2007, 05:42 PM
A six month ban, sans any kind of warning seems inappropriately harsh. I do not know what exactly took place to precipitate it, but it comes across as pretty unfair to lay blame at the doorstep of one person, when it is clear that MANY have posted what has been deemed to be "inappropriate."

Certainly a private discussion, by way of pm or something similar, would have been more just, before delivering a ban like this one. I always thought that before it happened, everyone was afforded the chance to adjust and/or rectify their situation, prior to ban as extreme as this. Very inconsistent policy.

TMJordan
10-30-2007, 06:20 PM
Was it Nelly?

EDIT: Forget my question, I don't want to get banned :p

MariaV
10-30-2007, 06:54 PM
GlennMirnyi and I have clashed in the past, sometimes heatedly, so we are hardly what you would call the best of friends.

Yet I consider this ban to be unjust, unnecessarily harsh, and the whole situation has been handled poorly from the start.

I do not believe this ban is necessary at this time and I think it should be reversed, on the understanding that any future trouble will see it reinstated.

Scoobs said it very well.
I'm not the best of mates with GlennMirnyi either and I've had my fights with him but I've got over it. No need to take what he says personally. Exactly as Scoobs said, it's not GlennMirnyi's problem if some people do so. :shrug:
I don't know exactly what he said but the 6-month-ban seems to be too harsh considering other things that are posted on this forum.
I just wanted to say that I personally have no problem with him if you want my take on the matter. And I hope this issue can be solved in a more amicable manner.

R.Federer
10-30-2007, 06:59 PM
Are posters typically banned for 6m without any prior warnings?

partygirl
10-30-2007, 07:14 PM
... if we got rid of all of them this place would be about as exciting as a Federer match is to Mirka.
:spit:

Yes, bring him backhttp://www.freesmileys.org/emo/signs005.gif.

MisterQ
10-30-2007, 07:16 PM
I'll be honest: the way Glenn carries on in GM has been annoying enough to make me leave threads in the past. He may be intelligent, but obsessively stating the same one-liners over and over again is not an intelligent mode of discourse. I don't find his dismissiveness refreshingly un-PC -- I just find it rude.

At the same time, I have had nice experiences outside of GM with Glenn. He knows a lot about tennis, and has much to contribute to the forum.

It's hard to comment on the ban without knowing the details. I support openness and tolerance in the forum (though posters should understand that with this freedom comes a responsibility to practice restraint and tolerance oneself). If penalties are to be imposed, they should be applied consistently and unambiguously -- and that is what appears to be problematic in this situation.

Blue Heart24
10-30-2007, 07:17 PM
I support this petition,too. Gu didnt deserve that.

Aleka
10-30-2007, 07:53 PM
I support the petition as well :) Força Gu! ;)

ClaudiuS
10-30-2007, 08:31 PM
Support for Gu :yeah:

He doesn't deserve this punishment.

Allure
10-30-2007, 09:01 PM
Glenn shouldn't have been banned, maybe given a warning at most. What about posters like Bad Religion or R=FK who has nothing intelligent to contribute but to say ''Federer sucks. Gasquet is gay.'' At least Glenn has decent composition skills and knows about tennis. However, some things he have said are a little harsh and can cross the line at times. But sixth months? No way.

BodyServe
10-30-2007, 09:03 PM
I support the petition,it's totally unfair that someone who has such knowledge in tennis get a ban for nothing.
He contributes so much to GM.

mangoes
10-30-2007, 09:07 PM
I echo what most are saying in this thread. This ban is too harsh, especially when also considering the fact that no prior warning was given. In addition, his status as a premium member should have afforded him the right to have this matter discussed with a mod prior to any action being taken.

Gu is far from being the most politically incorrect poster on GM. Furthermore, unless a poster is a newbie, most know that Gu's clashes on GM aren't meant to be taken seriously, but with a laugh at the off color humor. And it says something when the very posters he jests at are surprised by the action taken by the mods.

As I said, there are many posters on GM who next to GU make him seem like a baby lamb. They haven't been banned:shrug: Hence the saying, what's good for the goose is good for the gander. Since that doesn't seem to be the case, I hope this ban isn't a result of someone manipulating the situation behind the scenes to get this desired outcome.

Please try to resolve this situation without this type of ban.

p.s........if it was a regular poster on mtf that complained about GU :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Grow Up because that was petty.

cobalt60
10-30-2007, 09:07 PM
I'll be honest: the way Glenn carries on in GM has been annoying enough to make me leave threads in the past. He may be intelligent, but obsessively stating the same one-liners over and over again is not an intelligent mode of discourse. I don't find his dismissiveness refreshingly un-PC -- I just find it rude.

At the same time, I have had nice experiences outside of GM with Glenn. He knows a lot about tennis, and has much to contribute to the forum.

It's hard to comment on the ban without knowing the details. I support openness and tolerance in the forum (though posters should understand that with this freedom comes a responsibility to practice restraint and tolerance oneself). If penalties are to be imposed, they should be applied consistently and unambiguously -- and that is what appears to be problematic in this situation.

I am breaking my silence because I was asked. However Matt says it quite well. I personally have no issues with Gu. I enjoy what he posts but honestly I rarely read what he posts in General Messages. That said how about if everyone just grows up a bit more;) Or is that too much to ask?

tennismaster882001
10-30-2007, 10:01 PM
This realy looks to be very harsh, there are some (in fact many) much worse posters who deserve it more!
So I support GlennMirnyi 100%!
You should have same criteria for all!

Marek.
10-30-2007, 10:05 PM
Set Gu free! Set Gu free! Set Gu free!

my0118
10-30-2007, 10:27 PM
I support Gu.
From what I saw him posting on GM, it seems to me 6 months banning is so unfair.

stebs
10-30-2007, 10:37 PM
I just hope that even if Mods decide that they were right all along they at least show up in this thread and explain themselves because very good points have been made and some answers would be appreciated.

+alonso
10-30-2007, 10:39 PM
Like some of you say, I don't particulary share the way he behaves in GM, and I must tell that I've felt pretty bad more than once 'cause of a biased comment he said. [I haven't reported him BTW]
Anyway, I've talked to him out of GM and he seems like a good person who wants to help when its needed and stuff...
Quite strong news!

Well, PEACE for all of the members of this forums..

Fee
10-30-2007, 10:42 PM
6 months is too long, 3 would be more fair.

The mods are not going to come in here and explain themselves, and they shouldn't do that anyway. It has not been done before beyond the brief explanations posted in the banning thread. There are so many rumors, half-truths, and innuendos floating around on this topic that half wouldn't believe what they posted anyway.

Zirconek
10-30-2007, 10:42 PM
yes, Gu aka GlennMirnyi should be allowed to post in General Messages again, please.
I guess he will behave nicely (what is needed) and keep contributing to the site.

Deivid23
10-30-2007, 10:58 PM
Concerning the topic, I couldn´t care less if he´s banned or not, he´s one of the very few posters in my ignore list, that says enough, and even if he wasn´t I wouldn´t care shit. But this petition is beyond hilarious, just bc of these laughs it´s been certainly worth the ban :haha:

Now you can keep moaning :wavey:

stebs
10-30-2007, 10:58 PM
The mods are not going to come in here and explain themselves, and they shouldn't do that anyway.
It would be nice if they did considering the topics raised in here are of relevance and if they need to show strength then fine but it's not as if there won't be more issues in the future and the points should be adressed at some point.

It has not been done before beyond the brief explanations posted in the banning thread. There are so many rumors, half-truths, and innuendos floating around on this topic that half wouldn't believe what they posted anyway.
Neither of these things matter a jot, they should still address the issues bought up and if people choose not to believe then fine.

Johnny Groove
10-30-2007, 11:03 PM
The thing about Gu is just that he has 2 sides.

The rational, cool, intelligent, guy who is very knowledgable about tennis and can construct his arguments in a rational way and have conversations with,

and of course, the mean spirited, racist, sexist, demoralizing jackass we all see in GM, who constantly is insulting people and using the fanboy and other repetetive one liners over and over.

He has the capability of being a great poster on here and sharing his views intelligently as a great human being. I've seen it manifest itself. Why he continues to choose the path of assclown is beyond me. Why a guy that smart constantly tries to be stupid, it really makes no sense.

GlennMirnyi
10-30-2007, 11:27 PM
Just two points that must be clarified:
1- I got no warning. That's not a rumour, that's a fact.
2- I'm not racist or sexist. Those are awful accusations.

Byrd
10-30-2007, 11:36 PM
I must admit Glenn can ruffle a couple of feathers, but this seriously doesn't justify a guy who contributes alot to the forum being banned for 6 months, if you put aside all the stuff in the GM you can see how he puts in alot of insightful and meaningful discussions in the other sub-forums, and elaborates on many intelligent planes, yet this is overlooked in relation to his so called 'bad' demeanours. If glenn gets banned, then why isn't someone like RFK getting the same consequences as well?, he clearly incites hate and calls specific fangroups derogatory terms, yet is able to get away with it, however such personas are seen as jokers by me personally and by so many other people as well, who usually just brush it off and ignore it and find it funny, which Glenn comes under. Do you mods seriously think a guy who loves Tennis so much would want to stick his neck out so far that the following situation would occur, I'm 100% sure he wouldn't,which makes this thread and discussion quite frustrating to read, as this shouldn't even be happening.I'm also inclined to say that the fact Gu got no warning before being banned is quite appalling as there was no attempt to even deter what you deemed as 'bad' from occuring if you at least messaged him beforehand, the fact it was a straight ban is quite shocking, and isn't the right system when dealing with these kind of situations. I just hope you guys do the best for the forum, and keep one of the best and most recognised posters unbanned so his qualities can stayed appreciated to present posters of the forum, and new individuals to the forum.

Deivid23
10-30-2007, 11:39 PM
I just hope you guys do the best for the forum, and keep one of the best and most recognised posters unbanned so his qualities can stayed appreciated to posters of the forum, and other generations to come.

:haha:

QUOTE OF THE YEAR IN THE THREAD OF THE YEAR

Byrd
10-30-2007, 11:43 PM

Trying to derail a thread troll?, go back your cave dickwad.

R.Federer
10-30-2007, 11:58 PM

:confused: Thread of the year, wasn't that Rafael Nadal is Number #1 in the ATP race?

:lol:

GlennMirnyi
10-31-2007, 12:08 AM
I bet if our fellow Spaniard poster got banned not even his mom would ask him back. :lol:

JBdV
10-31-2007, 12:23 AM
and of course, the mean spirited, racist, sexist, demoralizing jackass we all see in GM, who constantly is insulting people and using the fanboy and other repetetive one liners over and over.

I'm not sure what you're referring to there but if you're calling him a racist because of a few jokey remarks he's made, then you could be called that too because of some sweeping, generalizing comments you made about France and the French. And many other posters on GM too. If I were to complain about all posts like that I saw from you and many other posters (I wouldn't because I have a sense of humour and they don't offend me), does anyone really think those posters would be banned? Seems like there's a lack of consistency there.
When you think about what a poster like R=FK has got away with, praising Hitler, being an apologist for ****, etc. not to mention being caught with a double account, there really is a lack of consistency.

R.Federer
10-31-2007, 01:13 AM
When you think about what a poster like R=FK has got away with, praising Hitler, being an apologist for ****, etc. not to mention being caught with a double account, there really is a lack of consistency.
In the thread on banned posters, there is indeed one poster who has been banned permanently (not sure how that is accomplished, but anyway) because of creating double accounts. RFK gets away with a lot. I guess it would be nice to have a uniform set of standards, and for those to be applied uniformly to all posters.

Snowwy
10-31-2007, 01:18 AM
Gu is an excellent poster, I want him back, even if he makes fun of my sometimes for cheering for Robredo

fmolinari2005
10-31-2007, 01:32 AM
Bad decision. Specially not giving a warning previously and giving an extreme penalty. And moderators should be accountable too btw ... and if they dont listen to the other posters and dont explain themselves, something is wrong with the system.

Gustavo is a very smart kid. It is obvious (for anyone with two neurons) that GlennMirnyi is just a "telling as he sees it" persona that Gustavo built. And, most of the time his comments are tongue-in-cheek/ not to be taken literally. I would take his "rude" remarks anytime over the "awww ... puppies are cute, why you hate each other, that player has pretty legs" comments. Or over those pretentious comments from guys that like to gloat about their "knowledge".

Gustavo: It seems that a lot of the fanboys/ fangirls got mad though...I blame Brittney Spears for being on a slump.

El Legenda
10-31-2007, 01:44 AM
Glenn is a tool, but he is not a bigger tool than i am

that is correct, who would be a bigger tool than you.

El Legenda
10-31-2007, 01:45 AM
Just two points that must be clarified:
1- I got no warning. That's not a rumour, that's a fact.
2- I'm not racist or sexist. Those are awful accusations.

do you get warn when you kill somebody, i think not.

this is a private forum they dont need to warn anybody.

GlennMirnyi
10-31-2007, 01:59 AM
do you get warn when you kill somebody, i think not.

this is a private forum they dont need to warn anybody.

Don't be so oversensitive, nobody killed people here. :rolleyes:

A private forum I support, mind you.

I just posted to clear some rumours, not to defend a point.

Fee
10-31-2007, 02:10 AM
I think your previous ban may count as your warning.

Corey Feldman
10-31-2007, 02:13 AM
There are many many posters in GM who should have been banned a long time ago but werent because they join some of the mods for a circle jerk on their favorite players. The only ban that should take place here is for the Bias mods(not all) who arent doing what they signed up for.Bring back Gu and get rid of the the mods who feel the need to remove a thread or suspend people just because they dont like what is being said about their favorite player Yep.

and never insult 'a good mate' of a mod, coz they run away and tell the teacher, and they are teachers pet afterall.

El Legenda
10-31-2007, 02:52 AM
Don't be so oversensitive, nobody killed people here. :rolleyes:

A private forum I support, mind you.

I just posted to clear some rumours, not to defend a point.

you can still get banned if you support the forum, supporting it does mean a free pass to ruin it.

GlennMirnyi
10-31-2007, 02:58 AM
you can still get banned if you support the forum, supporting it does mean a free pass to ruin it.

Ruin it? :lol: :rolleyes: You're hanging too much with the Ducktards' fan club - you're turning into one of them.

Johnny Groove
10-31-2007, 03:05 AM
I'm not sure what you're referring to there but if you're calling him a racist because of a few jokey remarks he's made, then you could be called that too because of some sweeping, generalizing comments you made about France and the French. And many other posters on GM too. If I were to complain about all posts like that I saw from you and many other posters (I wouldn't because I have a sense of humour and they don't offend me), does anyone really think those posters would be banned? Seems like there's a lack of consistency there.

I myself have French blood in me, my posts were joking. Perhaps we see things differently, maybe a joke to me isnt a joke to you, but i have no problems with French people, as i would be hating myself.

Ive seen Gu say some horrible things about Spaniards and Argentinians, but perhaps those were also in jest, im not sure. Also, some of his sexist remarks include telling posters to get back in the kitchen, do his laundry, etc. But NOT anything dealing with the WTA and prize money issue, as that is simply a matter of the WTA being severly lacking in quality of matches, and has nothing to do with them being women.

As for RFK, he is just an absolute fool and should have been banned a long time ago. He went back on his bet, he created a double account, is an extreme sexist, racist, and praises Hitler for his actions :rolleyes: If they're going to get rid of anyone, he's the one.

Corey Feldman
10-31-2007, 03:05 AM
You're hanging too much with the Ducktards' fan club - you're turning into one of them. :lol:

I say make me a mod.......

Mods reading this :singer: i wanna become a mod, what are the qualifications? just let me do it somewhere.

ufokart
10-31-2007, 03:14 AM
I support the petition to let Gu be free too :lol:

Why can't the people that can't stand him just ignore his comments in GM? :shrug: It can't be that difficult, i know i do it everytime he rants about Chela, Nalbandian and Del Potro :rolls:
I don't really think he has said things as bad as some people make it seem. So he doesn't like the spaniard and the argie players, big deal :rolleyes: :lol:

Allure
10-31-2007, 03:14 AM
Glenn you can create a double account but you don't want to stoop to R=FK's level. ;)

El Legenda
10-31-2007, 03:16 AM

I say make me a mod.......

Mods reading this :singer: i wanna become a mod, what are the qualifications? just let me do it somewhere.

:rolleyes:

GlennMirnyi
10-31-2007, 03:21 AM
I myself have French blood in me, my posts were joking. Perhaps we see things differently, maybe a joke to me isnt a joke to you, but i have no problems with French people, as i would be hating myself.

Ive seen Gu say some horrible things about Spaniards and Argentinians, but perhaps those were also in jest, im not sure. Also, some of his sexist remarks include telling posters to get back in the kitchen, do his laundry, etc. But NOT anything dealing with the WTA and prize money issue, as that is simply a matter of the WTA being severly lacking in quality of matches, and has nothing to do with them being women.

As for RFK, he is just an absolute fool and should have been banned a long time ago. He went back on his bet, he created a double account, is an extreme sexist, racist, and praises Hitler for his actions :rolleyes: If they're going to get rid of anyone, he's the one.

Bullshit. One of the first posters to send me a PM offering a hand was jayjay (Argie). Hendu is Argie, ufokart is Argie. :rolleyes:

Johnny Groove
10-31-2007, 03:35 AM
Bullshit. One of the first posters to send me a PM offering a hand was jayjay (Argie). Hendu is Argie, ufokart is Argie. :rolleyes:

Well then evidently they are just jokes then. I guess i am just not as thick skinned as some of the other posters around here, and can just shrug off some of the stuff you say. I am more emotional and take things to heart. Sorry, thats just how i am. and probably how alot of the people around here feel as well, where they read some of the stuff you say, even if you think its not that bad and they should shrug it off, some of us just cant. Its not in our nature.

Fee
10-31-2007, 03:43 AM
Ruin it? :lol: :rolleyes: You're hanging too much with the Ducktards' fan club - you're turning into one of them.

You need to let go of this. It is inaccurate, at best.

GlennMirnyi
10-31-2007, 03:51 AM
Well then evidently they are just jokes then. I guess i am just not as thick skinned as some of the other posters around here, and can just shrug off some of the stuff you say. I am more emotional and take things to heart. Sorry, thats just how i am. and probably how alot of the people around here feel as well, where they read some of the stuff you say, even if you think its not that bad and they should shrug it off, some of us just cant. Its not in our nature.

Of course they are jokes. I mean, I'm sure you're much more of an Argie than they are. :rolleyes:

GlennMirnyi
10-31-2007, 03:55 AM
You need to let go of this. It is inaccurate, at best.

What have I said, darling?

R.Federer
10-31-2007, 03:57 AM
So Gu, what was this last ban all about? I still don't know (Escude can chip in here to say I'm slow, but I never did find out -- and I asked around too). Escude said fighting with some posters of Serbian origin?

Fee
10-31-2007, 04:02 AM
What have I said, darling?

Coy doesn't work on you and the implication of your posts are clear, especially to anyone who reads them all at once lately. The ducktards are not ganging up on you, in fact I would say that most of them don't care about you or your ban. The few that have taken notice of it seem to be neutral.

I said before that I don't want you to be permanently banned. Please, behave, man up and accept responsibility for the mistakes you made, and move on. Please.

GlennMirnyi
10-31-2007, 04:07 AM
I never said Ducktards in general, you know it.

Fee
10-31-2007, 04:17 AM
I'm not going to go round and round with you. I've said my piece.

Please don't get banned.

MCL
10-31-2007, 04:23 AM
I support the poster GlennMirnyi in this matter given the information available thus far.

Please end or shorten his six month ban from GM. :yeah:

He appears to have done no more than his usual trolling. That does not warrant such a prolonged ban from GM. If so, many others should be banned as well.

Given that a) he receives a chance to defend himself and b) he is given clear, explicit directions for behaving, I am fairly confident that things will improve.

(I had written a much longer support post but my login timed out and I lost it :()

martine2
10-31-2007, 04:27 AM
Gu can count on my full support and I want him back on GM!!

Ok, he trolls sometimes but he never went over the edge and it never was meant to really hurt someone. Aren't we supposed to be grown ups here instead of a bunch of fighting kids and isn't this forum meant to be fun? So nothing wrong with a bit of sarcasm now and then ;) .
If Gu has to get banned I really don't understand why some others, who are MUCH worse, can stay....

He's been banned from GM long enough now, so PLEASE let him come back. We need him there!

R.Federer
10-31-2007, 05:45 AM
I said before that I don't want you to be permanently banned. Please, behave, man up and accept responsibility for the mistakes you made, and move on. Please.

Fee ... :sobbing: .. you're allowing RFK coins like man up to become everyday lingo here. :mad:

RonE
10-31-2007, 06:15 AM
Gu has my full support- count me in!

GM needs a character like Gu to keep things interesting and on more than one occassion put some idiots in their place (albeit he does smetimes overdo it a little).

As the old saying goes "if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen". As far as I am aware the 'ignore' function still works perfectly fine and if there are some posters who truly cannot stand to read Gu's posts they should use that function.

As many have mentioned before, how come Gu has been given such a harsh penalty while other posters who do much worse things get away with it? A poster like R=FK for example not only continually insults other posters calling them names but also created a double account which is clearly against the rules. What does he get? A slap on the wrist. There is a certain degree of double standards here. (mind you, I also enjoy having a poster like R=FK around which adds another dimension to GM)

Finally, if in fact Gu did not do anything out of the ordinary compared to what he usually does and he did not get warned for it, then the ban itself makes no sense not to mention the severity of it. If his persona was so troubling for so long and he would have gotten repeated warnings and yet continued with his old ways thus resulting in the ban that is 100% ok. But if this was not the case (I am being careful here because I don't know what instigated the ban to begin with) then it doesn't seem right in my eyes to conduct a witch hunt.

OK, end of my rant. Gu, Nathi, if there is anything else that can be done that you need from me I'm with you.

Castafiore
10-31-2007, 09:22 AM
1. I find Glenn easy to ignore due to his repetitive nature but that ignore function doesn't always work since quite a few posters love to quote him so you end up reading his endless one-liners anyway if you want to read what other posters have to say in a thread.

2. Martine2 says: "We need him there!"
Why? What's the added value for you, Martine? Honestly, the huge reaction baffles me.
I think that he's quite harmless most of the time but to say "we need him there"?
A forum needs a wide variety of posters and a nice % of "characters" but why exactly does GM need a repetitive, non-creative poster? I mean, if you're going to troll, the only way to make it fun(ny) is to be creative. Prima Donna was a good example of that (most of the time anyway).
What does Glenn himself get out of his one-liners? He loves the attention it gets him? If so, he must be loving all this.
The only explanation I can come up with is that some people in here love to see other posters trying to have a conversation with him (which is pointless in GM). It's like somebody else said elsewhere about the issue. It's like that tv show big brother: a show like that needs tools to make that show work (I know that his fans say that he's a smart guy but he doesn't show it in GM).
Heck, the thread starter hardly ever posts in GM. She still gets to talk to Glenn outside GM so what is she missing exactly?

The only real issue here is consistency in moderating but it's hard to have a fair opinion on it if you don't know exactly what triggered it. I know that Glenn has received a temporary ban before so perhaps this serves as a warning. Other than that: did he get PMs with an explanation? I think so since I've seen it being mentioned. I think that he received a PM from at least 2 moderators.
Does a moderator have to contact everybody whose behaviour on MTF is getting him close to a ban, esp. when that poster has been banned before so he should get the idea where to draw the line?

martine2
10-31-2007, 10:54 AM
Why? What's the added value for you, Martine? Honestly, the huge reaction baffles me.
I think that he's quite harmless most of the time but to say "we need him there"?

Well what I said is MY opinion and I happen to like the guy.
I agree that sometimes he exaggerates, but he brings some life in the threads and you have to take his posts with “a grain of salt”.
He often attacks my fav players too, but it never has irritated me (something I cannot say from other posters who are really humiliating and never get a warning, let go a ban…).

Heck, the thread starter hardly ever posts in GM. She still gets to talk to Glenn outside GM so what is she missing exactly?

It’s not because someone hardly posts there that they don’t READ.
And I’m talking to Gu outside MTF too (yes, he is smart & nice…), but I’d also like to have him back here.

The only real issue here is consistency in moderating but it's hard to have a fair opinion on it if you don't know exactly what triggered it. I know that Glenn has received a temporary ban before so perhaps this serves as a warning. Other than that: did he get PMs with an explanation? I think so since I've seen it being mentioned. I think that he received a PM from at least 2 moderators.
Does a moderator have to contact everybody whose behaviour on MTF is getting him close to a ban, esp. when that poster has been banned before so he should get the idea where to draw the line?

I don’t want to judge the competence of the Mods at all (respect the work they are doing), but yes I do think Gu is being treated unfair if you compare his behavior to that of some other posters.
His posts hadn’t changed to what he was doing before, but I’m afraid this time his only fault was he “stepped on the wrong toes”.

And yes, I do think there should be at least a formal warning before actually banning somebody.
Also the extent of the punishment (6 months!) isn’t realistic. He’s been out of GM for almost 2 weeks now, so why not see this as a warning to him and give him another chance.

Castafiore
10-31-2007, 11:46 AM
Well what I said is MY opinion and I happen to like the guy.
I didn't claim otherwise, did I? It's quite obvious that it's your opinion, Martine. It may surprise you but I wasn't under the impression that you are acting as the spokesperson for the pope on MTF.
It's also obvious that you like the guy and you're sticking up for your friend. I don't talk to him at all and I have mainly seen his posts in GM so it's nice to find out that he's only a tool inside GM.

For me, it's not about the fact that Glenn attacks players I like. Mikey does that and I like (most of) his posts. Prima Donna used to do that and I found his trolling attempts amusing. I guess that it's a matter of opinion, indeed.

However, all those who defend him by saying that he's a great guy outside GM: what does this have to do with his behaviour inside it? Nothing at all.

I do think there should be at least a formal warning before actually banning somebody.
It's up to the moderators and the admin to decide upon this but perhaps his previous ban (two weeks?) acts as a formal warning. He should know by now where to draw the line.
I don't know about warnings given to other posters. I don't really follow this sort of thing. Every story has two sides and for now, I'm only reading one side.

The only real issue here is consistency in moderating and I do agree with what some others have said about it.
I have no problems with strict rules and I don't think that moderators need to explain their every move on this message board but it's got to be one set of rules for all, regardless if the posters involved are close friends to the moderators or not (although I can imagine that it's not always easy to be consistent all the time with so much traffic on MTF)

martine2
10-31-2007, 12:11 PM
I didn't claim otherwise, did I? It's quite obvious that it's your opinion, Martine. It may surprise you but I wasn't under the impression that you are acting as the spokesperson for the pope on MTF.)

No but you were "baffled by my huge reaction" ;) so I only stated that it was my personal opinion and I have the right to express that.

I don't talk to him at all and I have mainly seen his posts in GM so it's nice to find out that he's only a tool inside GM.)

Well, it used to be the same with me and I'm glad I judged him wrong in the beginning

For me, it's not about the fact that Glenn attacks players I like. Mikey does that and I like (most of) his posts. Prima Donna used to do that and I found his trolling attempts amusing. I guess that it's a matter of opinion, indeed.)

Mikey has been banned too. He was when I registered here, so I only know him for a short time, but I'd defend him just the same (guess I have a weak spot for controversial persons :p )

However, all those who defend him by saying that he's a great guy outside GM: what does this have to do with his behaviour inside it? Nothing at all. )

Agree

Castafiore
10-31-2007, 12:24 PM
No but you were "baffled by my huge reaction" and I have the right to express that.
I'm mostly a bit stunned by the general reaction, not just yours. ;)

"I have the right to express that."
I didn't say otherwise either. You express your opinion, I'm trying to understand where you are coming from. People express an opinion, others question that opinion or they agree with it, a conversation starts...that's the way it works on a message board, right? Just because a person asks why she has that opinion, doesn't have to imply that this opinion isn't valid.

Byrd
10-31-2007, 12:27 PM
I'm totally behind you on this matter Glenn, and if you need anymore help relating to this situation, just give me a shout.

Naide
10-31-2007, 01:07 PM
I support the petition to let Gu be free too :lol:

Why can't the people that can't stand him just ignore his comments in GM? :shrug: It can't be that difficult

Because people have the right to express their opinions about players without being insulted.
Because supporting a certain player doesn't make you an idiot.
Because not agreeing with him means knowing nothing about tennis.
Because of his obessive need to be right about everything.
Because of his repetitive attacks about nationalities
Because he attacks newbies when he doesn't even know since when they started following tennis.
Because saying "go to the kitchen" and pretending this is humor is simply not funny.

...i could go on forever...

R.Federer
10-31-2007, 02:22 PM
A forum needs a wide variety of posters and a nice % of "characters" but why exactly does GM need a repetitive, non-creative poster? I mean, if you're going to troll, the only way to make it fun(ny) is to be creative.
You're stating these like they are facts, they aren't. These are merely your opinions. Many posters find GM to be creative.

I find Glenn easy to ignore due to his repetitive nature but that ignore function doesn't always work since quite a few posters love to quote him so you end up reading his endless one-liners anyway if you want to read what other posters have to say in a thread.

This is true about ignore functions for anyone, so this is irrelevant to GM's suspension.

GlennMirnyi
10-31-2007, 03:28 PM
1. I find Glenn easy to ignore due to his repetitive nature but that ignore function doesn't always work since quite a few posters love to quote him so you end up reading his endless one-liners anyway if you want to read what other posters have to say in a thread.

A forum needs a wide variety of posters and a nice % of "characters" but why exactly does GM need a repetitive, non-creative poster? I mean, if you're going to troll, the only way to make it fun(ny) is to be creative. Prima Donna was a good example of that (most of the time anyway).
What does Glenn himself get out of his one-liners? He loves the attention it gets him? If so, he must be loving all this.
The only explanation I can come up with is that some people in here love to see other posters trying to have a conversation with him (which is pointless in GM). It's like somebody else said elsewhere about the issue. It's like that tv show big brother: a show like that needs tools to make that show work (I know that his fans say that he's a smart guy but he doesn't show it in GM).

You write a lot but I doubt you can read decently. :rolleyes:
Nobody ever posted I received PMs before the ban because I didn't.

Denaon
10-31-2007, 03:36 PM
IMHO if there was no disrespect, which I mean being discriminative in any way people can be, and there were no controversial issues brought to discussion...no ban is necessary.
Of course we all would love to ban those posters that merely think different than we do...but that's not correct...:devil: :aplot: and that's not how this should work...:shrug:

I say let GM post in GM :banana: (in case he wasn't really acting as a dork)

GM in GM!!! :D

Castafiore
10-31-2007, 03:55 PM
You're stating these like they are facts, they aren't. These are merely your opinions. Many posters find GM to be creative.
Nope.

I'm stating it as my opinion. I have found Glenn to be totally and utterly repetitive in GM. You don't expect me to add "in my opinion" every time I write something, do you? I thought that this is rather obvious on a message board.

If others disagree with my opinion, fine.

By the way, do you think that he's creative in GM and if so, why? What's creative about his posts?

This is true about ignore functions for anyone, so this is irrelevant to GM's suspension.
This was a reply to those who say that Glenn posting in GM should not be a problem. If he annoys you, put him on your ignore list so you don't have to read his "creative" posts.
So, you are replying to the wrong person about that ignore function since I did not bring it up in the first place.

R.Federer
10-31-2007, 04:12 PM
Nope.

I'm stating it as my opinion. I have found Glenn to be totally and utterly repetitive in GM. You don't expect me to add "in my opinion" every time I write something, do you? I thought that this is rather obvious on a message board.

Nope. There are obvious ways of stating things that are clearly your opinions, which you yourself do by the way, and ways of stating things as premises, such as "Why does GM need a non creative repetitive poster ..." which is not stating anything about your opinion, and I think you know that. Opinions are obvious, such as (from your post):

I find Glenn easy to ignore due to his repetitive nature.

The only explanation I can come up with is that some people in here love to see other posters trying to have a conversation with him (which is pointless in GM)

You didnt say IMO in any of these and it is pretty obvious to any reader of ordinary reading skills that those are IYO. Are you saying you do not understand the difference between statements like that and a statement like this:

A forum needs a wide variety of posters and a nice % of "characters" but why exactly does GM need a repetitive, non-creative poster?

By the way, do you think that he's creative in GM and if so, why? What's creative about his posts?
His posts are creative because I find them unique, cut to the point and humorous. There is sarcasm and there is wit. Beyond that, it is like asking you to define what is a great post. Can you define it? I think not. I am also sure that what you define as a great post will not be everyone else's definition of a great one. It is sort of like porn v/s almost-porn: you just know it when you see it.

So, you are replying to the wrong person about that ignore function since I did not bring it up in the first place.
Regardless of the origin of the ignore function in this thread, you made a point about the ignore function and I am responding ONLY to YOUR point. Thus I am not responding to the wrong person. Your point was that it is insufficient to put him on ignore, and my point is that then the ignore function is useless altogether for everyone here on MTF.

Castafiore
10-31-2007, 04:16 PM
You're arguing with me for the sake of arguing without making sense for the most part of what you have written there, R. Federer.

I've said what I have to say about Glenn and I don't need to say anything more about it.

R.Federer
10-31-2007, 04:25 PM
You're arguing with me for the sake of arguing without making sense for the most part of what you have written there, R. Federer.

It seems you did not have a response to what I said so this is about the best way to end it. Fine with me.

Regardless you are in the wrong thread. You might have missed the title. It is a petition SUPPORTING GlennMirnyi ;) There is a thread started by Jogy for nonsupport. You'll find all of your comments with and without IMO better received there!

R.Federer
10-31-2007, 04:26 PM
I suspect that this is what's truly got Gu's goat, the fact that the Ducktards are one of the few fanbases who haven't taken any notice of him no matter how hard he tries to bait and troll. :lol:

Gu loves Andy .... :inlove: and most Ducktards as well ... I think! :)

But I think there is a Duckatard here and a Duckatard there that he might love a little less....

Castafiore
10-31-2007, 04:28 PM
It seems you did not have a response to what I said so this is about the best way to end it. Fine with me.
It's not a matter of not having a response, it's a matter of not wanting to talk to you since I find you impossible to talk to because you have the tendency to talk in circles in order to stick with your opinion no matter what and I think that you're trying to bait me a bit.

I'll go look for Jogy's thread.

nolop
10-31-2007, 04:31 PM
I'm sure he will survive the next 6 months, no need for petitions.:)

R.Federer
10-31-2007, 04:46 PM
It's not a matter of not having a response, it's a matter of not wanting to talk to you since I find you impossible to talk to because you have the tendency to talk in circles in order to stick with your opinion no matter what and I think that you're trying to bait me a bit.

I'll go look for Jogy's thread.

Yes, and the way to go when you don't want to talk is to respond to my post. Sounds about right.

You can use that partly useless ignore function!

R.Federer
10-31-2007, 04:46 PM
I'm sure he will survive the next 6 months, no need for petitions.:)

Nolop, the question is, will We Survive the next 6 months... ? :sad: :lol:

Julio1974
10-31-2007, 05:03 PM
This ban is absurd. I support Gustavo, despite the fact I disagree with 99% og his posts.

RickDaStick
10-31-2007, 05:21 PM
MTF sucks these days. Im out of here :wavey:

MusicMyst
10-31-2007, 06:24 PM
I can't even begin to fathom what rules are being enforced and which aren't. It seems that the mods never apply the rules consistently. In the Hewitt forum, there's this huge chat thread about women's tennis, but posts about women's tennis in other forums routinely get removed. That's just one example, there are loads of others demonstrating inconsistent rules enforcement.

I don't pay for my membership, so maybe I shouldn't care, but the mods need to be more professional in their administration of the rules and especially in banning people.

Let me add that I think some of the mods are trying very hard, and I don't think that they get compensated in any way, but a for-profit site like this should hire professional admins to do the heavy lifting on rules enforcement, rather than leaving it to volunteer mods.

R.Federer
10-31-2007, 06:28 PM
In the Dubai thread, ezekiel made comments (I made a pdf of some of them because it was so bad :eek: , so don't worry if he has now gone and deleted, I'll post them). These include comments about why the Arabs deserved what they were getting and incendiary and hateful posts about Muslims in general.

And this poster was allowed to stay.

There were mods on that thread, and they deleted some of the posts. But how come he was not banned? Now there isn't really an excuse of saying "Mods cannot be everywhere" which is true, but when they are present the rules really ought to be applied equally. Because if one person sees that others can write hateful things about people, groups, countries, etc., it is not clear why another poster would not think it is fair game to do so.

R.Federer
10-31-2007, 07:06 PM
J'Torian, if there are some rules about behavior, everyone should follow them.

The difficulty is when different standards are applied to different posters. There is no need for the moderators of the forums to be more explicit than Shotgun's posted rules of behavior. But when you see comments from one poster leading to bans and the similar style of comments from another poster leading to nothing, then it is a pity.

That is the actual underlying theme of this thread. It is not just the naive "We miss Gu" and " We need Gu" that all of us have had some fun with.

Jadranka
10-31-2007, 07:37 PM
I support Gu :)
FREE GU!!

mir
10-31-2007, 07:40 PM
I'm only weighing in here because I saw my username brought into this discussion, so here's just a quick rundown of my thoughts:

1. I notice that not all, but a lot of the posts here supporting this person basically boils down to: "Yes, he behaves like a troll, but he's not really one elsewhere," or: "Yes, he behaves like a troll, but that's what makes MTF entertaining."

Wait, what? So a person who, by your own admissions, isn't a troll but intentionally stirs up shit on purpose, creates negativity/discord that hampers discussion, and attacks other posters on the board on a personal level deserves leniency because "it makes things interesting" or because they don't act that way elsewhere on the boards? Sorry, but if I knew someone who treated me well but who was treating others in their life very poorly for specious reasons, I wouldn't plead that others be lenient in their judgment of that person simply because I was getting the good end of the bargain.

2. Frankly I think it's a cop-out to have a long track record of saying bigoted things and then to revise history and say: "It's just a joke, obviously." The point is that "obviously" doesn't apply here: This is the internet, not a closed circle of friends. Your friends may know you're joking; the rest of the world does not, and as I'd imagine there are new people joining this board all the time there will always be someone who doesn't realize that bigoted statements about women or gays or certain nationalities are "just jokes." (And while I can't read any minds I highly doubt those who run MTF want that kind of thing to be the first thing tennis fans see when they read the boards.) If even the people who support this person acknowledge that this person says things only to provoke reactions/discord, that is all the more reason to put a stop to the hurtful speech.

3. Regardless of my low opinion of the person in question, if it's true that this person was banned without warning and/or before having a chance to defend himself, then the issue and the punishment should be reevaluated. However, I am not a mod and I do not know if this person was warned or what the full story of the ban was about so I'm not going to sit here and make any judgment calls.

4. Lastly - and this is the real reason I'm in this thread - to whomever it was that felt the need to bring my name into a discussion that should have nothing to do with me:

For anyone who finds my humor tiresome, I'd like to apprise them of a few points: I make it a point to use my humor to make people laugh; not to attack other posters on this board, to piss people off, or to attack tennis players for the most specious of reasons. In fact, the first time I ever made a "blow off the court" comment I did it because several people were ganging up on Scott for petty reasons and I made my comment to defuse things. I don't make racist, homophobic, sexist comments to stir the pot and then cover my tracks by calling them "jokes" (as if them being jokes would make them 100% acceptable).

Don't get me wrong - I'm fine with people not enjoying my humor, as I'm not here to be loved by everyone or agree with everyone. But I think it speaks volumes about the priorities of people who are far more interested in complaining about the harmless stuff I have to say instead of complaining about people who attack others personally, who make bigoted comments, who think it's a badge of honor to behave like a troll, or who think it's cool have phrases like "you cocksucker" and "you fucking queer" in their signatures.

That's it for me in this thread.

:worship: :worship: wish I could rep you

R.Federer
10-31-2007, 07:59 PM
Lastly - and this is the real reason I'm in this thread - to whomever it was that felt the need to bring my name into a discussion that should have nothing to do with me:

For anyone who finds my humor tiresome, I'd like to apprise them of a few points: I make it a point to use my humor to make people laugh; not to attack other posters on this board, to piss people off, or to attack tennis players for the most specious of reasons. In fact, the first time I ever made a "blow off the court" comment I did it because several people were ganging up on Scott for petty reasons and I made my comment to defuse things. I don't make racist, homophobic, sexist comments to stir the pot and then cover my tracks by calling them "jokes" (as if them being jokes would make them 100% acceptable).

Don't get me wrong - I'm fine with people not enjoying my humor, as I'm not here to be loved by everyone or agree with everyone. But I think it speaks volumes about the priorities of people who are far more interested in complaining about the harmless stuff I have to say instead of complaining about people who attack others personally, who make bigoted comments, who think it's a badge of honor to behave like a troll, or who think it's cool have phrases like "you cocksucker" and "you fucking queer" in their signatures.

I didn't see which post refers to you but I just wanted to say that regardless of whether I agree with you or not, your perceptions of what you are writing and in what spirit you write them may be quite different than how they are received. For instance, you said " I make it a point to use my humor to make people laugh" -- what I mean is, some people may not find it funny, might find the constant sexual connotations tiresome or even repulsive, who knows? Your finding it funny is not the gold standard for everyone to find it funny, I'm sure you realize that.

I am not speaking for myself, btw. I am agnostic on this, but you are not really in a position to speak about how your posts are perceived. Others are in that position. Just as you perceive Glenn's posts in a particular way (words you used included "bigoted"), the intention behind these posts might be quite different from you perceive. Similarly, you speak about people's priorities, judging them based on what they find acceptable and what they don't. Yes, they are possibly different priorities from yours. But that doesn't make them either worse than yours of less than yours. Just different.

Black Adam
10-31-2007, 08:08 PM
J'Torian, if there are some rules about behavior, everyone should follow them.

The difficulty is when different standards are applied to different posters. There is no need for the moderators of the forums to be more explicit than Shotgun's posted rules of behavior. But when you see comments from one poster leading to bans and the similar style of comments from another poster leading to nothing, then it is a pity.

That is the actual underlying theme of this thread. It is not just the naive "We miss Gu" and " We need Gu" that all of us have had some fun with.
This is laughable. Get a grip. He isn't completely gone. He will be around for you needy one to get your time with him. And at the same time GM will get a breath of Fresh Air. All is well.
Ruin it? :lol: :rolleyes: You're hanging too much with the Ducktards' fan club - you're turning into one of them. :haha: Keep it up :bigclap:. False accusations and whining. Face up to the punishment silently because grumbling, accusing, petitions and complaining will only worsen things. A certain Natasc did that and got a perma ban. The starter of this thread might have made your case worse it's only making irritating noise in the ears of Mods who aren't gonna go back on their decision.

I always figured for a guy who was always playing with fire, it was very stupid to get a Premium account because they don't refund you in case of ban. Do your time silently, change your ways and you will be allowed back.

Naide
10-31-2007, 08:10 PM
Go back to your kitchens, fangirls

R.Federer
10-31-2007, 08:11 PM
I always figured for a guy who was always playing with fire, it was very stupid to get a Premium account because they don't refund you in case of ban. Do your time silently, change your ways and you will be allowed back.

If I didn't know better I would say you sound like a mod! :eek:

Now THAT is laughable :lol:

Black Adam
10-31-2007, 08:21 PM
If I didn't know better I would say you sound like a mod! :eek:

Now THAT is laughable :lol:
It's not about behaving like a mod. It's about having sense and realising that rules are there for a reason. Nobody is above the law here (The Mods and Admin) no matter how popular you might be. It's more like advice since more complaining on his behalf by the naïve in this thread will only make things worse for him.

Castafiore
10-31-2007, 08:26 PM
J'Torian,

I can't goodrep you but...brilliant post! :yeah::)

I'd like to apprise them of a few points: I make it a point to use my humor to make people laugh; not to attack other posters on this board, to piss people off, or to attack tennis players for the most specious of reasons.
Exactly. If only more people had the same idea of humor.

R.Federer
10-31-2007, 08:28 PM
It's not about behaving like a mod. It's about having sense and realising that rules are there for a reason. Nobody is above the law here (The Mods and Admin) no matter how popular you might be. It's more like advice since more complaining on his behalf by the naïve in this thread will only make things worse for him.

I think if you read the thread you'll see that many are unsure what exactly the rules are. A poster making incendiary remarks about Muslims on the Dubai thread (I pdfed it, so I know) did not result in a ban. So I guess the enforcement of Shotgun's rules are unclear.

Black Adam
10-31-2007, 09:14 PM
I think if you read the thread you'll see that many are unsure what exactly the rules are. A poster making incendiary remarks about Muslims on the Dubai thread (I pdfed it, so I know) did not result in a ban. So I guess the enforcement of Shotgun's rules are unclear.

Category 1
Mtw spouts :bs: regarding Americans and Muslims from time ti time- No Ban
RFK trolls heavily from time to time- No Ban
Joggy can be out of order from time to Time- No Ban
Scotso could be bad News at certain times- No Ban
Jerry Seinfeld can be a pain when he is in bashing Roddick plus his fans mode- No Ban
Ivan Ljubicic can also be out of order when it involves either Roddick or "doping Argies" Also very racist when it involves Black players- No Ban

Category 2
Jocaputs was very violent and insulting to Safin Rules n.1 and me even after warnings- Perma ban
I Suggested Burrows kill himself and got - 3 months Ban
It's.Like.That suggested a poster kill himself- 6 months ban
Dimonator suggested GlennMirnyi kill himself and picked fights with anyone who rose to the bait- 3 months ban.
Natasc- Argued with mods and fought them using multiple accounts.- Perma Ban.
Escude- Became very powerful that the Mods decided they had to reduce his power by giving him a break.- 6 Month ban.

Category 3
GlennMirnyi trolled heavily non stop for the past 1 and half years and finally got a 6 months ban from GM were he was very active.

The guys in Category1 get away with it because they aren't always behaving that way. They have good reasonable days and aren't consistent pain in the backside. The way I see it, you can get away with a bit of racism, sexism, homophobia and trolling unless you take it to a level where it's no longer acceptable. Unless they become consistent in their trolling or get excessive they will always be safe as they Troll in Moderation.

The guys in Category 2 are beyond what is acceptable and deserve the punishments they received. These guys broke the main rules that say Personal insults won't be accepted especially when you ignore warnings or suggest that must one commit suicide. Also fighting with Mods is punishable by some kind of ban as they represent the authority around here. It was necessary for the sake of this board for these to either take a leave or leave for Good.

Category 3 is for special cases. GlennMirnyi normally would be safely in category 1 but because he didn't take a break and was like a broken tape repeating the same trolling over and over, non stop, they gave him 6 Month break as he wasn't trolling in Moderation.

Now this is the way things seem to work around here for me. Might as well make them official rules as Category 1 guys do their act in moderation and really do get away with it (aka RFK and the Sondraj fiasco)

Corey Feldman
10-31-2007, 09:51 PM
Escude- Became very powerful that the Mods decided they had to reduce his power by giving him a break.- 6 Month ban. wow

really ?

i always knew there was something Fishy about my 6 month sentance.

Black Adam
10-31-2007, 09:57 PM
wow

really ?

i always knew there was something Fishy about my 6 month sentance.
Stop playing the guy in awe. We all know what happened.

The mods will always feel threatened by your popularity. Remember that popularity + loads of v cash = power ;)

martine2
10-31-2007, 10:01 PM
Stop playing the guy in awe. We all know what happened.

The mods will always feel threatened by your popularity. Remember that popularity + loads of v cash = power ;)

:devil: So that's why he got banned.... Could buy all the girls... :p

Denaon
10-31-2007, 10:03 PM
:devil: So that's why he got banned.... Could buy all the girls... :p

And some guys too :drool: :hearts: :aplot:

Corey Feldman
10-31-2007, 10:05 PM
You might well be right Black Adam...
and i want them to make me a Mod - fat chance

Corey Feldman
10-31-2007, 10:07 PM
lol Denaon

those were the days.... when i had $2.5 million in v-cash :D

altho i think i'd blown it all well before that ban ;)

+alonso
10-31-2007, 10:55 PM
J'Torian! :worship:

Everyone is allowed to have their own opinion but under certain behaviour patterns.

Julio1974
10-31-2007, 11:08 PM
Exactly. If only more people had the same idea of humor.

If only people were not so over sensitive. It's funny how Gustavo makes fun of all Argentine posters and players but a lot of us think this ban is simply stupid.

Btw, I wonder why Gustavo is banned and I have to put up with mtw antisemitic posts and her irrational hatred against Americans (which would constitute hate speech under any European law)

GlennMirnyi
10-31-2007, 11:21 PM
I suspect that this is what's truly got Gu's goat, the fact that the Ducktards are one of the few fanbases who haven't taken any notice of him no matter how hard he tries to bait and troll. :lol:

Never tried to bait any Ducktard, but they are surely the most bitter fanbase ever.

This ban is absurd. I support Gustavo, despite the fact I disagree with 99% og his posts.

This is a big example of how people can disagree but don't take it personally.

I'm only weighing in here because I saw my username brought into this discussion, so here's just a quick rundown of my thoughts:

1. I notice that not all, but a lot of the posts here supporting this person basically boils down to: "Yes, he behaves like a troll, but he's not really one elsewhere," or: "Yes, he behaves like a troll, but that's what makes MTF entertaining."

Wait, what? So a person who, by your own admissions, isn't a troll but intentionally stirs up shit on purpose, creates negativity/discord that hampers discussion, and attacks other posters on the board on a personal level deserves leniency because "it makes things interesting" or because they don't act that way elsewhere on the boards? Sorry, but if I knew someone who treated me well but who was treating others in their life very poorly for specious reasons, I wouldn't plead that others be lenient in their judgment of that person simply because I was getting the good end of the bargain.

2. Frankly I think it's a cop-out to have a long track record of saying bigoted things and then to revise history and say: "It's just a joke, obviously." The point is that "obviously" doesn't apply here: This is the internet, not a closed circle of friends. Your friends may know you're joking; the rest of the world does not, and as I'd imagine there are new people joining this board all the time there will always be someone who doesn't realize that bigoted statements about women or gays or certain nationalities are "just jokes." (And while I can't read any minds I highly doubt those who run MTF want that kind of thing to be the first thing tennis fans see when they read the boards.) If even the people who support this person acknowledge that this person says things only to provoke reactions/discord, that is all the more reason to put a stop to the hurtful speech.

3. Regardless of my low opinion of the person in question, if it's true that this person was banned without warning and/or before having a chance to defend himself, then the issue and the punishment should be reevaluated. However, I am not a mod and I do not know if this person was warned or what the full story of the ban was about so I'm not going to sit here and make any judgment calls.

4. Lastly - and this is the real reason I'm in this thread - to whomever it was that felt the need to bring my name into a discussion that should have nothing to do with me:

That's it for me in this thread.

This thread ain't about you, why do you have always to show up, call attention and still go on the bad "humorous" tirade?

This is laughable. Get a grip. He isn't completely gone. He will be around for you needy one to get your time with him. And at the same time GM will get a breath of Fresh Air. All is well.
:haha: Keep it up :bigclap:. False accusations and whining. Face up to the punishment silently because grumbling, accusing, petitions and complaining will only worsen things. A certain Natasc did that and got a perma ban. The starter of this thread might have made your case worse it's only making irritating noise in the ears of Mods who aren't gonna go back on their decision.

I'm not trying to counter my ban, I didn't start the post.

Category 1
Mtw spouts :bs: regarding Americans and Muslims from time ti time- No Ban
RFK trolls heavily from time to time- No Ban
Joggy can be out of order from time to Time- No Ban
Scotso could be bad News at certain times- No Ban
Jerry Seinfeld can be a pain when he is in bashing Roddick plus his fans mode- No Ban
Ivan Ljubicic can also be out of order when it involves either Roddick or "doping Argies" Also very racist when it involves Black players- No Ban

Category 2
Jocaputs was very violent and insulting to Safin Rules n.1 and me even after warnings- Perma ban
I Suggested Burrows kill himself and got - 3 months Ban
It's.Like.That suggested a poster kill himself- 6 months ban
Dimonator suggested GlennMirnyi kill himself and picked fights with anyone who rose to the bait- 3 months ban.
Natasc- Argued with mods and fought them using multiple accounts.- Perma Ban.
Escude- Became very powerful that the Mods decided they had to reduce his power by giving him a break.- 6 Month ban.

Category 3
GlennMirnyi trolled heavily non stop for the past 1 and half years and finally got a 6 months ban from GM were he was very active.

The guys in Category1 get away with it because they aren't always behaving that way. They have good reasonable days and aren't consistent pain in the backside. The way I see it, you can get away with a bit of racism, sexism, homophobia and trolling unless you take it to a level where it's no longer acceptable. Unless they become consistent in their trolling or get excessive they will always be safe as they Troll in Moderation.

The guys in Category 2 are beyond what is acceptable and deserve the punishments they received. These guys broke the main rules that say Personal insults won't be accepted especially when you ignore warnings or suggest that must one commit suicide. Also fighting with Mods is punishable by some kind of ban as they represent the authority around here. It was necessary for the sake of this board for these to either take a leave or leave for Good.

Category 3 is for special cases. GlennMirnyi normally would be safely in category 1 but because he didn't take a break and was like a broken tape repeating the same trolling over and over, non stop, they gave him 6 Month break as he wasn't trolling in Moderation.

Now this is the way things seem to work around here for me. Might as well make them official rules as Category 1 guys do their act in moderation and really do get away with it (aka RFK and the Sondraj fiasco)

Category 4 - defenders of **** - Meggy White aka TGS.

I bet you're pretty afraid of gettin' your perma ban. :lol:

stebs
10-31-2007, 11:35 PM
This will be my last post in the thread because I have said my piece on topic and I don't want to derail the thread, if you wish to reply and for me to see that reply J'torian the I request that you PM me. :)

For anyone who finds my humor tiresome, I'd like to apprise them of a few points:

Well I was one who posted that in thsi thread but I would like to say firstly that I never picked you out individually and I'm sorry if you felt it was an attack, it wasn't.

I make it a point to use my humor to make people laugh; not to attack other posters on this board, to piss people off, or to attack tennis players for the most specious of reasons. In fact, the first time I ever made a "blow off the court" comment I did it because several people were ganging up on Scott for petty reasons and I made my comment to defuse things.

I respect your reason for bringing humour to MTF. ;)

I don't make racist, homophobic, sexist comments to stir the pot and then cover my tracks by calling them "jokes" (as if them being jokes would make them 100% acceptable).

Not that this isn't a good thing but I don't think I compared you to GlennMirnyi (assuming that is what you are insinuating) in my post, perhaps someone else did?

I agree with you about several things in this paragraph.

1 - I am not the type of guy where if someone said something like "shut up and get back to the kitchen" to me or to a friend I would think it quirky and funny, I would simply thing they were stupid. I am not offended by it, nor do I feel a sense of command to the attackees here, they ask, to a certain extent, for what they get. Let's face it, anyone who's been here a week should know Glenn. However, these comments are just stupid and further, they are a clear sign that GM has lost whatever argument he is in.

2 - Bigoted comments, 'cool' phrases, personal attacks. All bad things.

3 - My only point was not that you are a troll or anything like that, you are for the most part a very good poster and it must be extroadinarily hard to keep that up as a Robredo fan with the abuse he receives day to day here.

All I was saying was I find it boring but whilst we're here I'd like to make another point. Sorry to use you as an example and I want to make it clear that this isn't meant as an attack but...

...some of the things many of those condemning Glenn cite as reasons are

1 - Mindless repetitive posts
2 - Sensitive issues
3 - Pushing threads off topic

Okay, its true they do it in different ways and yes it would take a fairly ill informed and naive child to find what J'torian posts sensitive but overall other perfectly legitimate posters do these things as well. Sorry to call your jokes mindless and repetitive but in a way I feel like I should do it just as you condemn mindless posts of others. No, Glenn's posts aren't fun to read often but if you don't enjoy the humour of you and your 'perv squad' posts then they are every bit as irritating and probably even more mindless frankly. It's like 9 times out of 10 when scrolling down a post I can predict "Oh, we will see an insulting retort from GM" but at the same time I could also predict "Oh, I will see J'torian make this into a players having gay sex joke."

I was far harsher to you than I wanted to be in that last paragraph so I will finish the post by re-iterating that you are an excellent poster for the most part.

TNX1.0E6TOPCA
11-01-2007, 10:12 AM
After Escude, I support Gu... it's unfair and I hate injustice.

question: why do some posters enjoy preferential treatment?

Jelena
11-03-2007, 02:20 PM
I already gave my opinion about the ban of Gu in another thread, but I need to give my 2 cents about that ban again.

Personally I think it was good to give Gu a break of GM, cause he was exaggerating with his trolling in the last few weeks. BUT he realised it himself already on the weekend when he was banned of mtf completely. He is someone who knows a lot of tennis though and has strong opinions about players. There is another aspect which was never mentioned before. Gu was a competitive athlete himself some years ago and because of the values he learned there he doesn't like unfair sportsmenship behaviour. Also he followed tennis for a long time considering his young age and has made his opinions about players. You CAN have reasonable discussions with him about tennis and also about the players he bashes loads.

To end this post: Six months is way too harsh comparing with the stuff other posters post and don't get any warning - not talking of ban. There are other posters who are as annoying as Gu can be and far worse and who don't get anything. This half-year-ban is simply ridiculous.

BgStallion
11-04-2007, 07:43 AM
Well , I'm sorry for coming in so late ,but I haven't been on the mtf for ages. I support Glenn and I think that he is the person that deserved to be banned the least.

Grinder
11-04-2007, 11:59 PM
A six month ban from GM is ridiculous. Gu shouldn't even be banned from GM at all. When we have people like alfonsojose and Farenhajt posting on GM, there's no reason fro Gu to be banned from it.

I suppose this whole ban is because a certain poster decided to get all self-righteous and whine to the mods about him.

scarecrows
11-05-2007, 08:35 PM
funny how there are 10 pages of posts supporting Gu (and some very respected posters i mus add) and still no mod has even bothered giving an answer to the numerous questions asked concerning his banning

GlennMirnyi
11-05-2007, 08:41 PM
funny how there are 10 pages of posts supporting Gu (and some very respected posters i mus add) and still no mod has even bothered giving an answer to the numerous questions asked concerning his banning

Total lack of respect. Not to me, that was clear from the start. To the MTF community.

l_mac
11-05-2007, 09:14 PM
Six months seems ridiculously excessive. If people find his posts that upsetting they could just put him on ignore. And, despite the fact that much of his trolling consists of heinous slurs on my favourite player :hug: :lol:, he certainly isn't the most offensive poster on GM.

I'm very concerned this ban could affect his ACC performance :mad: I really hoped he would win.

danton
11-05-2007, 09:30 PM
I don't know whether he deserved 6 months it does seem like a long time. However just lately I have gone into GM threads to find he has trolled them to death. Page after page of insults and slagging off of playings and other posters that the point of the thread is lost. Yes other people shouldn't rise to the bait but with Glenn it's not just one troll post per thread it goes on for pages and when people do ignore him and try and return to topic he just increases the level of trolling.

This was my observation on approx 6 threads over the last month. It got to the point where I went to a thread on the last page it had numerous posts by him and I didn't even bother reading.

As I said six months seems like a long time and i don't know if he had a warning from the moderators but plenty of GM posters let him know his posts were not ok.

There maybe 10 pages of support for GM but since this post I have had plenty of good reps. Therefore the Mods`have probably had plenty messages of support. GM is not as popular as it would first seem.

GlennMirnyi
11-05-2007, 10:50 PM
The most important and respected posters voted in my favour. I bet I can name who repped you. :rolleyes:

danton
11-06-2007, 12:53 AM
Guess again

GlennMirnyi
11-06-2007, 01:15 AM
Stebs, scarecrows, Merton of a few have posted here and you can't find more respected posters than them. I could go on with this list.

Deivid23
11-06-2007, 06:50 AM

:haha: :baby:

It might sound weird to you but there´s life outside MTF and people have more important things in their lives than losing their time bc some people are moaning like little kids bc a guy has been banned from a section of a tennis board, tool. :D

scarecrows
11-06-2007, 07:06 AM
sorry Deivid, you're not my type

you're trying hard to get my attention but I dont love you back :awww:

Nathaliia
11-06-2007, 09:18 AM
Apparently I have been kicked off from the moderating for having too much of private life, so I assume the ones who stayed are devoted to moderating enough hence they deserve still doing it. Bad explaination.

Yes, the petition was started for some fun, but honestly saying I am surprised it has been on for so long and nobody decided to speak up, not only Gustavo needs to be given reasons of such a harsh ban (nobody has contacted him since the petition has been published and many points brought up), but also the people who posted here are probably owed something. We are a community here, many of us have spent here few years of daily posting. It is apparently going away from what Gu has done, and going to what the mods have done not. It also has nothing to do with a thread started chatting with GlennMirnyi in GM or NT or if she finds his posts funny or not.

I know very well how the bans were given in the past, I remember how many millions of warnings Just Cause had, or Erhnam had. Both were kicked out deservedly but the number of second chances they got was uncountable. Also the progression of temp bans looked very appropriate in both cases. Why such a sudden change of behaviour in GlennMirnyi's cause? Because of "We accepted him for so long, time to just give him a long break, he should have guessed it was going to happen one day"? Bad thinking track if it's the real one.

People who normally argue with him, even in nasty words, came here and apart from posting 2K characters on what a moron Gustavo is, also mentioned how bad the situation has been handled and the ban is too harsh.

This is very subjective if he is or is not the biggest troll around, he has violated the rules several times and deserves a punishment, hardly anyone questions it even if finds his activity colourful for GM. We question the LENGHT of it, regarding the fact Gu has already understood the fact his sense of humour stopped being tolerated and he needs to change. And check how he has replied in this thread to the ones who have hydeparked him. I haven't seen anything insulting, just light self-defence.

He isn't one of those who count the days to come back just to "show 'em all" and be "the troll of the century" like some of the ones on a perm ban right now. He isn't startring second accounts. He doesn't go around and calls the mods names. Only he is upset that with having so much support of our thesis, nobody from "above" bothers.

This is human to make mistakes also on judging the situation. This is why in democratic countries we have the institution of appeal. This is our appeal from the sentence, and I know that the mod council wants to believe this place is a democracy, therefore Gu, myself, and a lot of MTF posters (check the number of views of this thread) would be very glad to know the final decision and the reasoning.

Also please keep in mind it has been on for many days, and no nasty fight has aroused in here, it isn't typical for this forum, is it?

Thank you very much,
Nathaliia

Zirconek
11-06-2007, 11:28 AM
I'm not sure if people checked this:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/announcement.php?f=2

(...)
Posting:
(...)
7. In the interest of public disclosure, the procedures for warning and banning posters are as follows:
Step 1. Written warning via PM
Step 2. Suspension (temporary ban) and another message from an administrator or Super Moderator explaining the infraction and reason for suspension. The length of the temporary ban is at the discretion of the Super Moderators and admins depending on the particular situation, and is not a decision taken lightly.
Step 3. Permanent ban.
Note: Depending on the severity, the staff of MTF can make the decision to "express ban" at any time. If someone you know has been banned and you are curious as to why, please review these rules or visit

http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...33#post4508933

A lot of discussion is taken prior to a ban therefore if someone has been banned it will not be overruled and any complaints should be taken up by the bannee or VIA PM. Do not start a thread.
(...)

Shabazza
11-06-2007, 04:29 PM
Of course, there won't be any reaction or justification from the mods and admins beyond the statement already given in the ban-thread.

Still, this thread does have it's purpose for raising some questions about the rules and their "selective" use on different members. This ban was handled bad, but once the ban is decided the admis won't go back on their decision (legitimate or not). Nathalie, I think this thread and it's message won't go unnoticed by the mods and admins, but don't expect any response from them, you should know better.

Personally, I don't care about Glenn and his ban. He knew he was walking on thin ice the whole time and just had it coming for him sooner or later. I think he's smart enough to learn from this ban. Sometimes "less" is better than "more".

virex
11-06-2007, 07:41 PM
free gu!
just wanted to make the list longer!

HarryMan
11-08-2007, 03:44 AM
Personally, I don't care about Glenn and his ban. He knew he was walking on thin ice the whole time and just had it coming for him sooner or later. I think he's smart enough to learn from this ban. Sometimes "less" is better than "more".

Very true :yeah:

trixtah
11-08-2007, 06:15 PM
Glenn isn't that much of a dumb ass, though he plays one on the forums, and while he deserved a "stern talking to," 6 months from GM for a paying member is a bit much. A warning and a short term ban would have sufficed, a longer ban pending if such behavior continued. In all seriousness with the antics and asshattery of GM aside, all that he needed to be told was to stop the offensive posts, trolling, and causing threads to go off topic with accusatory remarks. He's not that dimwitted that he wouldn't learn from this ban whereas some of our other more "uninformed" members would repeat the same mistake, warranting a permanent ban.

Bet you didn't expect to see me here ;)

trixtah
11-09-2007, 04:01 AM
Ok, so I got some "traitor" comments and a thumbs up comments. Let me elaborate.

Like I said, he doesn't deserve the six months but I do agree with a temporary ban--it's daunting for new members to join and post when every thread they open is in the process of an all out flame war, many times initiated by the same members. This is an open community with the purpose of growth, welcoming (not flaming) new members, and discussing tennis. Once people start assuming the "asshole" role 24/7 just because they've been a part of a community for a long time, it's time to be sent to the corner for a time out. Just my thoughts. I liken this to one of my teachers going to prison for 12 years for consensual sex with a student :p A lesser punishment followed by a ban if it continues.

Byrd
11-09-2007, 09:48 AM
Someone thinks its funny to delete my posts because I actually had a valid point, what a joke.

Nathaliia
11-09-2007, 01:07 PM
Someone thinks its funny to delete my posts because I actually had a valid point, what a joke.
Well, you can't accuse me or Gu of this one at least ;)

Nathaliia
11-22-2007, 02:15 PM
News on the case, Gustavo still is banned with no reducing with the official reason "insulting the nation" while RFK came back after 2 days in glory allowed to post everywhere after his (leaving alone the double account issue and long term trolling) remarks on Israel/Palestine conflict, easily nation-insulting.

I am myself a big fan of talking to people and giving them chances, I find it cool that RFK apologized in a newly made thread, but I guess you follow the main drift of my post.

l_mac
11-22-2007, 03:04 PM
R=FK is back already? :retard:

GlennMirnyi does indeed seem to have been harshly punished. Having said that, I'm not missing his posts in GM.

Nathaliia
11-23-2007, 12:08 AM
I have to take some words back, been just informed it was an unfortunate case that RFK temporarily escaped from the whip of justice, he got caught and imprisoned again.

Cheers.

Snowwy
11-23-2007, 02:37 AM
Waaaait..GlennMiryni gets 6 months, RFK gets 2 days????

Castafiore
11-23-2007, 06:52 AM
Waaaait..GlennMiryni gets 6 months, RFK gets 2 days????
Waaaait....As Nathaliia already indicated in the post above, RFK also gets 6 months.

From the banning info thread:
Rafa = Fed Killa - 6 month ban starting 23rd November 2007. Previous wanrning received about his posting manner in GM and board in general. Crude & extreme comments in the GM about the Israel/Palestine conflict towards another poster.

Neely
11-24-2007, 02:08 PM
I have to take some words back, been just informed it was an unfortunate case that RFK temporarily escaped from the whip of justice, he got caught and imprisoned again.

Cheers.
Very good that you were informed that he should not have been set free. If I had had the time to care for him earlier after we decided about him, he would have never been able to post again now.

And for all others: No, it has nothing to do with Nathaliia posting in this thread and complaining about R=FK. It was decided and agreed before already.

Nathaliia
11-24-2007, 02:23 PM
It was an unfortunate accident that he made those few posts, at first I didn't know what was going on, so posted here but as soon as I figured, I came back here excusing.

MissPovaFan
11-28-2007, 09:45 PM
I'm not really a heavy user of GM on MTF but lurk in there from time to time but from what I can see Gu provided a spark and an edge to GM, wasn't afraid to speak his mind and I feel GM has become rather a boring place since the ban :sad: It can only be a positive to reinstate him.

l_mac
11-28-2007, 09:58 PM
Just today, when Jaap called Nadal a moonballer, I too was struck by just how much GM misses GM. :sad:

LK_22
11-29-2007, 08:41 AM
Let Gu back onto GM

sawan66278
11-29-2007, 09:56 AM
Rafa Nadal is my favorite player on the ATP tour. I am a HUGE fan of his. Glenn...on the other hand...well, let's just say he is not a fan of his style of play. Anytime he gets a chance to bash Rafa and his style, he goes full force. If this is trolling, guess what? I DON'T CARE. As a matter of fact, its what makes forums like these fun. If memory serves me well, Glenn does NOT use a great deal of vulgarity...he simply bashes players he doesn't care for...in a style akin to a bludgeoning. I'm sorry: if people can't take the heat that comes from posters who aren't "suck-ups" of their favorite players, than GROW UP...and get some thicker skin. And take him on...

Children handle opposing viewpoints bu "taking their ball and going home"...Banning Glenn for six months is insane. As a matter of fact, I think it is cowardly.

I am against the ban. I support the return of the man whom was allowed to be listed in the Arse Clown Contest...but NOT allowed to post in the GM boards.

Getta
11-29-2007, 04:21 PM
GlennMirnyi does indeed seem to have been harshly punished. Having said that, I'm not missing his posts in GM.

You seem to be a fair player. ;)

Getta
11-29-2007, 04:29 PM
I am against the ban. I support the return of the man whom was allowed to be listed in the Arse Clown Contest...but NOT allowed to post in the GM boards.

Sawan, you bring up an interesting point here.

KaxMisha
11-29-2007, 10:41 PM
I'm all for it! Free GlennMirnyi!

Stgobaiano
12-04-2007, 02:54 AM
:worship: Free Gu

Nathaliia
12-08-2007, 09:11 PM
News from Gu, he passed his exams.

Björki
12-08-2007, 09:17 PM
Gu :bigclap:

GlennMirnyi
12-08-2007, 10:12 PM
News from Gu, he passed his exams.

This shouldn't be something special... :p

Sunset of Age
12-10-2007, 02:29 AM
Come back, Gu!

Nathaliia
12-12-2007, 12:58 AM
He wishes you all the Steppa Christmas :D

BlakeorHenman
12-12-2007, 04:34 PM
I must not get the whole picture here. Why do people even come to MTF if they're gonna be banned for the kind of posts in question? Are the mods just getting tired of hearing all the MTF Bitches bitch all the time?

jayjay
12-12-2007, 08:24 PM

I offered you a hand inspite of your Argie-rantings you fucking Brazilian ****. :lol:

GlennMirnyi
12-15-2007, 12:00 AM
I offered you a hand inspite of your Argie-rantings you fucking Brazilian ****. :lol:

You know that's why I love you! :smooch:

Getta
12-15-2007, 01:21 AM
Enjoy your holidays , Gu. :D

Hope to see you much stronger on GM the soonest possible. :bounce:

GlennMirnyi
12-15-2007, 03:48 AM
Enjoy your holidays , Gu. :D

Hope to see you much stronger on GM the soonest possible. :bounce:

Thanks and right back at ya. Have Steppa holidays. :D

Will do my best.