Tommy advances in Long Island [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Tommy advances in Long Island

Leo7
08-22-2002, 03:26 AM
Gutsy Haas Wins in Three
Defending champion overcomes shoulder pain

© Brian Bahr/Getty Images

Haas survived a second-set tie-break.

Defending champion Tommy Haas recovered from a sluggish start against Ramon Delgado to win through to the third round of the TD Waterhouse Cup at Long Island Wednesday. Haas, who beat Pete Sampras in the final here last year, won 1-6, 7-6(4) 6-4.

What the Players Said:

Tommy Haas: "I didn't find my timing early in the match but I came through and I was proud of myself to do that. The shoulder is like a roller coaster at the moment - up and down. At one point in the second set I thought I may have to default, but I hung in there. I was very close to calling a trainer to have my arm massaged.

"It's a pain in the butt having to worry about the shoulder rather than being able to go out there and focus on the match. I'm fighting against two things - my arm and my opponent."

~~~~~
i'm not sure if i'm happy or sad. he won his match :), but he is still in pain on the court!:(

ILR
08-22-2002, 10:10 AM
Awww poor Tommy,but well done yay!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

At least 1 of my players won in Long Island.....
:( :( :( :(

Leo7
08-22-2002, 03:25 PM
:wavey: IluvRogi !

next up for Tommy Haas in Long Island: #16 Calleri

Good Luck!;)

ILR
08-22-2002, 03:27 PM
Hi Leo! :wavey:

Yeah come on Tommy!I must say I was a bit nervous when he lost the 1st set 6-1!Well done anyway and good luck for the next round! :kiss: :kiss:

:bounce:

Layla
08-22-2002, 03:36 PM
Good luck Tommy! :D

More than anything I wish you a painless match. :(

ILR
08-22-2002, 03:38 PM
Hi Layla! :wavey:

Yeah beat the pain!No wait,plz dont have pain....Go 4 it Tommy! :kiss:

Leo7
08-22-2002, 03:51 PM
:wavey: Layla !

GOOOOOOOOOOOOO Tommy! :bounce: no more pain!

Layla
08-22-2002, 04:01 PM
Hi Leo! :wavey: Hi IluvRogi! :wavey:

Let's see him through to the trophy ceremony. The draw in Long Island is looking more and more pathetic and I want someone I really like to win it. :)

ILR
08-22-2002, 04:05 PM
HI EVERYONE! :wavey:

Yeah go 4 it Tommy we all want u 2 win not just a nobody!(that sounds terrible because Im a nobody!lol)

Leo7
08-23-2002, 02:54 AM
Haas def. Calleri 4-6, 6-2, 6-1 :bounce:

Tommy started off slow again tonight, but he rebounded to take the last two sets with ease!:) GOOOO Haas!

lurker
08-23-2002, 03:03 AM
Tommy!!:bounce::bounce::bounce:

(But another 3 setter...and I don't like what I'm reading about a NEW pain in the arm and elbow...:sad: )

fleemkeČ
08-23-2002, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by lurker
Tommy!!:bounce::bounce::bounce:

(But another 3 setter...and I don't like what I'm reading about a NEW pain in the arm and elbow...:sad: )

I don't like it either :( hopefully he gets a painless USOpen :(

Come on Tommy :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Leo7
08-24-2002, 01:46 AM
Tough Tommy Wins; Chela, Corretja Advance

Defending champion Tommy Haas claimed a courageous three-set victory against Jarkko Nieminen Friday night to advance to the semifinals of the TD Waterhouse Cup at Long Island. Playing in pain all week with arm soreness, Haas rallied from a set down for the third consecutive match to win 3-6, 6-4, 6-2.

:bounce:

lurker
08-24-2002, 02:45 AM
Tommy says he won't play tomorrow if his arm is still hurting in the warmups like it did today. Good decision!!!

Good luck for the US Open!:bounce:

Leo7
08-24-2002, 02:50 PM
:bounce: TOMMY! :bounce:

fleemkeČ
08-24-2002, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by lurker
Tommy says he won't play tomorrow if his arm is still hurting in the warmups like it did today. Good decision!!!

Good luck for the US Open!:bounce:

Maybe he must take a long rest afther the USOpen because i don't think this way of playing could last forever :( And I really don't won't him to quit tennis because of playing to much :(