How Will Dickhead Handle Richard Gasquet Having all the Attention This Year and Next? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

How Will Dickhead Handle Richard Gasquet Having all the Attention This Year and Next?

Pea
08-22-2002, 01:21 AM
It's about time they acknowledge a face out of America! You can't deny THIS kid's talent! Lovely game he has! Although I have not taken a liking to him, I see a better future for him than roddick!:D

Chloe le Bopper
08-22-2002, 01:43 AM
I hope he qualifies so I can watch his first round match.

But seeing as he's French, I'm not sure we'll go into "hype overload" with him.

At least not in North America we won't.

Our French posters might feel different about that though ;)

dots
08-22-2002, 02:26 AM
He would either win a slam so he can live up to the hype...

or

Date Gasquet, at least to get some of the attention the other is getting:D :D :D you know what they say...If you can't beat them:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

John.Charles
08-22-2002, 03:13 AM
haha....dickhead....known around the world

tennischick
08-22-2002, 03:36 AM
i feel an attack of poesie coming on...:eek:

Dissident
08-22-2002, 05:03 AM
Im worried about this. Gasquet is almost getting this super-pressure over him, due to the enormous attention he attracted. Thats cool and everything, but it can get very bad for the kid´s development as a better player.

Please dont let such a big talent be overwhelmed by overhyping.

King Aaron
08-22-2002, 10:14 AM
i think gasquet won't get as much attention because he's not american

Lily
08-22-2002, 10:34 AM
I kept hearing about this kid during, I think Monte Carlo?, when he got through qualifying, then beat Squillari in the 1st rd, but then lost to Safin in the 2nd rd. Hopefully we'll get a chance to see him. Very curious.

tennischick
08-22-2002, 02:00 PM
he has talent and he's fearless. i enjoyed watching him spank Squillari. thanks for the reminder...;) ;)

SanTaureau Fan
08-22-2002, 02:40 PM
I had the chance to see king Richard playing against Caretti... A very boring match, embarassing for Caretti ;) There is no doubt that Richard :kiss: will be number 1 one day, and Andy will be number 2 not far behind ;)

Nimi
08-22-2002, 03:26 PM
Not as much hype as Roddick's but still the media loves him, & so do the commentators of Eurosport. Just too bad we cant have a serve/volley kid wonder. I miss those :(

dots
08-22-2002, 04:47 PM
We need some pics of him...:D :D Anyone that can find one?:D

Chloe le Bopper
08-22-2002, 10:42 PM
i enjoyed watching him spank Squillari. thanks for the reminder...

Didn't he just win that match by his teeth? LIke 7-5 in the third or something? :D

pft people here and their Spankings :p

tennischick
08-23-2002, 02:09 AM
a spanking is a beating. i didn't say he destroyed him, just that he spanked him. which he did regardless of the score...:p ;)

Poe
08-23-2002, 02:18 AM
pea is a dickhead :angel:

steph_g
08-23-2002, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by Poe
pea is a dickhead :angel: but he is not as famous as Richard Gasquet, so he is jealous :angel: .

vbn
08-23-2002, 02:10 PM
For whoever wanted the pic ...

http://www.usopen.org/images/pics/large/bh_richardgasquet.jpg

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

dots
08-23-2002, 04:22 PM
Thanks Sinn Feignt:) I keep hearing about this guy, but I haven't seen him before. Thank you !

mboyle1988
08-23-2002, 04:48 PM
Andy gets so much bad press on this board. STOP THE HATE!

Pea
08-24-2002, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by Poe
pea is a dickhead :angel:

:o:blush:

essielewis
08-24-2002, 04:17 AM
Why don't we wait until M. Gasquet gets out of qualifying at a Slam before we anoint him the next greatest.:rolleyes: So far he's only beaten one or two players and Andy Roddick has won five tournaments.;) So, why don't we wait a year or two before comparing the two of them.

Also, I seriously doubt we will hear a whole lot about him in America for the time being but the French seem to be writing a great deal about him. Isn't he only 15 or 16 years old? That's a lot of pressure on boy his age.

Pea
08-24-2002, 04:22 AM
Who is annointing?;) I just think he's MUCH more talented than roddick already!:p

His ranking speaks for himself! I think it would be nice to have some INTERNATIONAL flavor into what the media dishes out.

Chloe le Bopper
08-24-2002, 04:50 AM
So far he's only beaten one or two players and Andy Roddick has won five tournamentsp

It would be far more accurate to compare Gasquet to Roddick at 16, as opposed to nearly 20.

Either than that, I agree- poor kid, hope he doesn't let it all get to him :)

the cat
08-24-2002, 12:13 PM
Aren't you jumping the gun, Pea?

Will Gasquet be able to handle being the next great French hope in tennis? Maybe. Maybe not. How has Mauresmo handled that pressure? No too well.

Roddick has certainly had a letdown of sorts this year. The attention and fame has to be hard to deal with. I hope Gasquet doesn't face such pressure and hype. But he will in the French Media. They will pump him up bigtime! :eek:

And Pea, you think he's"much more" talented than Roddick already. :confused: I doubt his serve and forehand are even in the same league as Roddick. So that's quite an assumption on your part.

If Richard is as good or better than Andy in a couple of years, then men's tennis will be better for it. They need all the good and exciting young players they can get! :) That's what Roddick gives men's tennis. I hope Gasquet will do the same.

tfannis
08-24-2002, 12:21 PM
I don't know how dickhead will handle it, but Dick, Dick Norman that is, handled it pretty well :D

Richard Gasquet was already on the cover of Tennis magazine in France at the age of 9 or so :eek: I really want to see him play...;see what the fuss is all about

Lily
08-24-2002, 01:20 PM
I think Roddick's doing alright this year. He's won 2 tournaments and hes moved into the top 10.

As for Gasquet, hopefully in 2 or 3 years he'll be able to compete with Roddick.

essielewis
08-25-2002, 06:15 AM
Who is annointing? I just think he's MUCH more talented than roddick already!

To say that a kid who has only won two MATCHES is better than a kid who has won five TOURNAMENTS and is in the top 10 is rather silly, I think.

Will Gasquet be able to handle being the next great French hope in tennis? Maybe. Maybe not. How has Mauresmo handled that pressure? No too well.

Well put. Amelie has tons of talent but she became a head case because of the pressure from the French media. She plays so much better away from France.

I haven't seen Gasquet play but I would love to. However, he lost in the qualies for the Open so I won't get to see him at this Slam.:rolleyes: Better luck next time, Richie.

Pea
08-25-2002, 02:01 PM
Did roddick win 2 matches at 16? NO:o

BTW, this started out as how would roddick handle not having the attention of the new wonder kid on the tour anymore and turned into a rather horrific demonstration of roddick fans once again hyping him up.:rolleyes:

essielewis
08-25-2002, 07:44 PM
Did roddick win 2 matches at 16? NO

No, Roddick wasn't even playing in the pros at 16. He was in school from which he graduated and then began his tennis career.

Richard Gasquet will most likely become a very good player but he lost in qualifying to a 31 year old who retired from tennis for two years and decided to make a comeback. Based on that, I don't think people should make comparisions between Roddick and Gasquet just yet. :rolleyes: Give him time. He's just a baby.