Do you happen to choke in a match??? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Do you happen to choke in a match???

markhingis
10-12-2007, 06:45 AM
I do:( After I got a comfortable lead I misshit those easy shots and let an opponents to get close. Most times I'm able to finish of the match, but sometimes my rival goes on win :(
Yesteday I was leading 5-2 in the decider and i choked. I won the match in the tiebreak after saving 2 MP :) Those MP are really stressful!

tennisplayer89
10-12-2007, 12:22 PM
When you're ahead, tell yourself "I'm behind. I need to play well so I can come back." You know that you're winning, but try and convince yourself that you are losing. If you think that you are losing, then you'll play better. If that doesn't help, then you can always concentrate on your footwork and intensely wath the ball.

Rogieva
10-14-2007, 04:03 PM
Final of a tournament, I lead 51 in the first set, and eventually lost 75 36 62

GlennMirnyi
10-14-2007, 08:13 PM
Once I had 6/1 5/1 and serve and managed to have to play a TB. It happens, it's normal.

Kolya
11-28-2007, 04:56 AM
Its mental just stay focused.

Don't relax because you have a nice lead.

azza
11-28-2007, 05:24 AM
Nuh i neva get nervous because i know its just a game i can be down 0-6 0-5 00-40 and still throw in a hard 2nd serve to see how i go who gives a fuck lol?

adee-gee
11-28-2007, 09:28 AM
I choke more when I'm about to lose :lol:

Closing out matches isn't a problem, I'm much worse when I have to serve to stay in a match, face match points etc... I go so negative, totally unwilling to risk anything.

Bernard Black
11-28-2007, 10:24 AM
Only time I can think of is recently throwing in a double fault to lose a tight first set, came back and won the next two comfortably though so it didn't play on my mind too much.

Not so much a choke, but I sometimes have the tendancy to take my foot off the pedal if I'm winning easily or holding serve to love each game. I think I prefer a tight competitive game just to bring the best out of me. Heck if I was a pro I'd probably play like Tim Henman :(

Burrow
12-12-2007, 12:28 AM
When you're ahead, tell yourself "I'm behind. I need to play well so I can come back." You know that you're winning, but try and convince yourself that you are losing. If you think that you are losing, then you'll play better. If that doesn't help, then you can always concentrate on your footwork and intensely wath the ball.

Some people say this a lot, but you will always know you are winning, so it is useless.

Just work on your game, improve, and as you improve you'll become more self confident.

Choking is due to lack of confidence which makes you nervous and unassured.

Me, myself, I don't choke, for a couple of reasons.

I don't really care if I win or not and I don't really get nervous.

Machiavelli
12-28-2007, 05:35 PM
I live in Zagreb; and I have two friends with which I play the whole year around on clay, hard court and indoor.

We are all at the same level, good amateur players and every match is a great battle.

I am definitely the most talented of us three, excellent serve and forhand, good volleying, i have a great touch for the ball, the drop shot is my best shot, but my bekhand is my weak spot, i hit it almost always slice, sometimes when i feel comfortable enough i hit a onehanded bekhand; the other two guys are great athletes and almost as good as I am; so because I am not in the best shape (1.93m, 95kg), every match is one of a kind....

A year ago, it was spring, we played on clay outdoors and i was leading 6/2,*5/1 and had *40/0 on serve; I started to make fun with my opponent and this was the beginning of a disaster, i missed some easy shots, made a couple of double faults and in a few moments it was 5/4*, I had two more match points on my opponents serve, after i did not use them i lost it completely... :devil:

The final result was 6/1,5/7,1/6.. :(

Against this friend i have a bad score, lets say 60/40 of all matches we played, which was eveven more painful because I was not able to win a match for some time against him; and i was the main joke at the tenis club for a couple of months, and my friend still laughs about it every time we see a pro tennis player choke... :D

Ophidian
01-11-2008, 12:49 AM
I have a hard time finishing matches I get too nervous. Lots of double faults. Once I'm in a rally I'm ok.

fleabitten
01-13-2008, 03:47 AM
Yeah, I used to. But now that I'm older I have more important things in my life, so my stress level goes down and I'm more relaxed and I play better. My 2 bits of advice are: 1. Watch the ball and move your feet. Simple. and 2. Realize that it is only a tennis game and that you are meant to have fun.... If I don both of these, it's all good. :)

-

StevoTG
01-13-2008, 11:01 PM
Not really a choke, last Friday was 5-1 down in the first set tie-breaker and i butchered a simple volley at the net and lost the breaker 7-1... for the first time in a tennis match i then had a big lapse in concentration and was 5-0 down in the second before i copped on, i was able to claw back 2 games but that was it. That said my opponent was playing well and I don't feel right taking credit from his win... I'd like another crack at him though;)

HKz
02-03-2008, 05:57 AM
I was up 5-0 in the final set of a match to decide school rankings and I suddenly became scared and I lost 7 straight games. I don't know if this would work for you, but to overcome these things, I would start playing serve-volley/dropshots/lobs just so I could close it out, because when I'm in that "scared" mode, I can't hit any of my groundstrokes at all.