The "Slip-Sliding to Spain to Try Their Best" 2008 Davis Cup Thread!! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The "Slip-Sliding to Spain to Try Their Best" 2008 Davis Cup Thread!!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Deboogle!.
09-27-2007, 03:07 PM
The 2008 draw was released today. The US is the #2 seed and drew Austria in the first round - we hosted them about 3 years ago so we have to go there. Surely it will be a tie on clay but we can do it :bounce: Spain's in the US's half so assuming Spain gets that far we will prob lose to them in the Semis b/c it'd be an away tie :sobbing:

full draw: http://www.daviscup.com/news/newsarticle.asp?articleid=14369

witty title coming soon :p

kaylee
09-27-2007, 03:13 PM
OMG Deb you are fast!!!!!!!!!!!

Deboogle!.
09-27-2007, 03:24 PM
Well not really it was announced at least an hour and a half before I even woke up :lol:

kaylee
09-27-2007, 03:53 PM
Heehee I would never have known tho it you hadn't posted it!!!!

Fumus
09-27-2007, 04:15 PM
Lloyd: That's a lovely accent you have. New Jersey?
Lady at bus stop: Austria.
Lloyd: Austria! Well, then. G'day mate! Let's put another shrimp on the barbie!
Lady at bus stop: Let's not.

kaylee
09-27-2007, 04:40 PM
huh?

Tytta!.
09-27-2007, 04:57 PM
Easy first round. :smoke:

tangerine_dream
09-27-2007, 06:24 PM
This makes me even more stressed out about our beating Russia in the final this year because we have no chance of winning it next year. :sobbing:

Winston's Human
09-27-2007, 06:32 PM
We can get past Austria and then Romania on the road or France at home; but, I think next year will end in the mire of Spanish dirt.

kaylee
09-27-2007, 06:59 PM
As long as we stay away from clay but that is highly unlikely although I recolllect that US beat Czech on clay sooooo we shall see why are we talking about next year we haven't won this year yet?

kaylee
09-27-2007, 06:59 PM
As long as we stay away from clay but that is highly unlikely although I recollect that US beat Czech on clay sooooo we shall see why are we talking about next year we haven't won this year yet?

kaylee
09-27-2007, 07:00 PM
As long as we stay away from clay but that is highly unlikely although I recollect that US beat Czech on clay sooooo we shall see why are we talking about next year we haven't won this year yet?

GollyLou
09-27-2007, 08:33 PM
It could have been worse. But it definitely could have been better. Austria (probably on clay) shouldn't be too bad and though I'll probably jinx the team I don't think Andy'll have a problem. Or with Romania or France. It's that semi with probably Spain that will be bad. :sobbing:

surfpinky
09-27-2007, 08:48 PM
"andy ate, so don't be late, in 2008, byows"

how's THAT for a witty title...uh huh.

Deboogle!.
09-28-2007, 11:02 PM
Title thanks to Nat :bowdown:

Tytta!.
09-28-2007, 11:13 PM
:worship: n@

knight_ley
09-29-2007, 01:07 AM
:haha: @ the title.

tangerine_dream
09-29-2007, 04:20 AM
Great new title. :lol:

snaillyyy
09-29-2007, 04:37 AM
:lol: Love the new title.

tennis lover
09-30-2007, 01:54 AM
:lol: at the title!

:ras: at the possible USA-France tie not being in France! :sobbing:

It feels so weird to have a thread for this already when it is still 2 months until this year's final! :o

Deboogle!.
11-20-2007, 05:53 PM
The venue/surface has been announced.... no surprises :lol:

Austria v USA (http://www.daviscup.com/ties/tie.asp?tie=100010163): Ferry Dusika Hallenstadion, Vienna, Austria - clay (indoors)

Winston's Human
11-20-2007, 06:03 PM
The clay surface should not make too much of a difference.

Austria seems to be more on the clay caliber of the Czech Republic and Belgium rather than the caliber of Spain and Russia.

GollyLou
11-20-2007, 07:01 PM
VIENNA! :hearts: I AM SO THERE.

Björki
11-20-2007, 10:13 PM
I am going :cool: just because it's in Vienna :p

Deboogle!.
11-20-2007, 10:20 PM
good reason :p

GollyLou
11-20-2007, 10:22 PM
I am going :cool: just because it's in Vienna :p

Other than the fact I love Andy, that is my main reason too. *wants to go now*

Deboogle!.
11-20-2007, 10:28 PM
i hope you guys aren't disappointed by Vienna as much as I was :sobbing: OK, it's still quite lovely, but not as nice as I was expecting :p Hopefully it's happening not too far from the historical district although the trams and buses are excellent and cheap there :D

ooohhhh it's not far from the historical center at all it looks. It's near the Prater amusement park which has a really famous ferris wheel. I didn't go there but yea it's close to the main stuff, short tram ride away. should be fun for you guys :)

~*BGT*~
12-03-2007, 08:54 PM
:ras: at the possible USA-France tie not being in France! :sobbing:

Accodfing to this, that tie will be in the US. :D I'm so there. :rocker2:

http://www.daviscup.com/shared/medialibrary/pdf/original/DC_8488_original.PDF

tennis lover
12-03-2007, 09:03 PM
Accodfing to this, that tie will be in the US. :D I'm so there. :rocker2:
I know, that's why I'm annoyed! ;) I can't go to the US! :sobbing:

kaylee
12-03-2007, 09:36 PM
OMG hopefully (I know this can't be booked too much in advance) that they have a more accessible venue than either Portland or W-S. I guess I am being slightly selfish but from a Canadian point of view of flying just way to difficult (actually not difficult but the flights I took this year were so delayed that I missed James' match and just got there in time for Andy).

I agree they just won 2007 and we are already looking to 2008. I loved Vienna but I was mainly near the market area where it sounds as though the tie will be held!

Deboogle!.
12-03-2007, 09:53 PM
If it happens it'll happen in April and I'd guess next year they'd go back to an outdoor venue - Florida, Houston, California, Arizona, the Carolinas, etc. I don't think they'd put the French indoors. I don't think it'd be wise and in April they wouldn't have to. So I think you'd have to fly anywhere it would be ;) But then, so would most American posters here sooooo :shrug: :lol: But of course anything's possible and they might go indoors somewhere but after 2 indoor ties in a row it seems unlikely, then again never can tell with the USTA since they follow the dollar signs ;)

Tytta!.
12-03-2007, 10:03 PM
Deb your siggy :inlove:

~*BGT*~
12-03-2007, 11:27 PM
I know, that's why I'm annoyed! ;) I can't go to the US! :sobbing:

I'll send you a post card and post some pics. :D

GollyLou
12-04-2007, 02:53 AM
I wuold looooooove to come and see the US play France but it's just so far to go. :(

Deboogle!.
12-04-2007, 02:54 AM
let'ssssssss beattttttttt austriaaaaaaaaaa firsttttttttttt :sobbing:

Winston's Human
12-04-2007, 03:04 AM
I wish they would come to Texas; but, it would have to be indoors since April is usually storm season.

Deboogle!.
12-04-2007, 03:06 AM
They did have that tie in Houston in 2002 on grass....

GollyLou
12-04-2007, 03:07 AM
I am quietly confident about beating Austria and I don't know why. Usually I panic nearer the time. :sobbing:

Deboogle!.
12-04-2007, 03:09 AM
The reason Austria could be potentially tough is that they actually have a good doubles team in Knowle/Melzer who actually played together on the tour for a while and were successful. I mean we should beat them but it's 2 months away, anything can happen then, like who knows maybe Melzer will find a brain :p

GollyLou
12-04-2007, 03:11 AM
Saying Melzer will find a brain is like saying Mardy will find his serve. :sobbing:

Deboogle!.
12-04-2007, 03:21 AM
:sobbing: so true so true :sobbing: I've seen Andy beat Melzer on clay actually. It was in houston a couple years ago, it was a really close match but I remember it was right after Andy had won Miami then immediately played Davis Cup and he was like a walking zombie who point blank told the crowd that night he wouldn't have won if it hadn't been in Houston with that crowd behind him :lol: Anyway I just remember it was close and Melzer served for the first set but Andy broke him back easily :lol: But like on his day, he is very dangerous.

knight_ley
12-04-2007, 04:58 AM
I never had schnitzel before.

~*BGT*~
12-04-2007, 05:23 AM
If it happens it'll happen in April and I'd guess next year they'd go back to an outdoor venue - Florida, Houston, California, Arizona, the Carolinas, etc. I don't think they'd put the French indoors. I don't think it'd be wise and in April they wouldn't have to. So I think you'd have to fly anywhere it would be ;) But then, so would most American posters here sooooo :shrug: :lol: But of course anything's possible and they might go indoors somewhere but after 2 indoor ties in a row it seems unlikely, then again never can tell with the USTA since they follow the dollar signs ;)

I'm hoping Houston. It's a 4 hour drive from me. I would actually try to get there a few days early and try to catch the guys practicing.

We will. :sobbing:

I never had schnitzel before.

Yeah, what is that? :confused: It's sounds like sausage. Is that weinerschnitzel? :confused: I feel stupid right now. :(

Deboogle!.
12-04-2007, 05:33 AM
Wienerschnitzel is like, veal or pork pounded thin, breaded, and deep fried. It's like, the national dish of Austria (or at least Vienna :lol: ) I didn't personally eat it when I was there, since it doesn't appeal to me at all, but it's on pretty much every Viennese menu :p

edit: this is the place in Vienna famous for serving the best - and biggest - schnitzels :lol:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2379/1610747491_d762604602.jpg

Björki
12-04-2007, 06:39 AM

:bounce: :rocker2:

~*BGT*~
12-04-2007, 07:26 AM
Wienerschnitzel is like, veal or pork pounded thin, breaded, and deep fried. It's like, the national dish of Austria (or at least Vienna :lol: ) I didn't personally eat it when I was there, since it doesn't appeal to me at all, but it's on pretty much every Viennese menu :p

edit: this is the place in Vienna famous for serving the best - and biggest - schnitzels :lol:

So it's basically a fried flattened pork chop with no bone? :confused: Why does it have wiener in it? That name sounds German. Well, if the Austrian players eat it, the Austin king will knock it out of them. :rocker2:

Winston's Human
12-04-2007, 12:20 PM
So it's basically a fried flattened pork chop with no bone? :confused: Why does it have wiener in it? That name sounds German. Well, if the Austrian players eat it, the Austin king will knock it out of them. :rocker2:

My German is a little rusty -- Wien is the German spelling for Vienna. I believe that Wiener means that is is from Vienna.

Tytta!.
12-04-2007, 12:22 PM
Saying Melzer will find a brain is like saying Mardy will find his serve. :sobbing:

That's so... So... So... No words.

:sobbing:

kaylee
12-04-2007, 02:40 PM
Oh my lord .........

Deboogle!.
12-04-2007, 03:56 PM
So it's basically a fried flattened pork chop with no bone? :confused: Why does it have wiener in it? That name sounds German. Well, if the Austrian players eat it, the Austin king will knock it out of them. :rocker2:Yes, or like I said I believe the more traditional meat is veal. The name sounds German because they speak German in Austria.

My German is a little rusty -- Wien is the German spelling for Vienna. I believe that Wiener means that is is from Vienna.Yes, that's exactly correct. the main official website for the city of Vienna is www.wien.at :)

kaylee
12-04-2007, 04:39 PM
I agree Deb veal is not my favourite either. I liked Vienna did u get to visit the palace whilst you were there? Please don't ask me to spell it!!!! :lol:

Deboogle!.
12-04-2007, 04:48 PM
Schonbrunn, yes I did:D

GollyLou
12-04-2007, 05:39 PM
If I was going to go to the USA vs France (if it happens) it would neeeeed to be somewhere that has international direct flights. London flies a lot of places but not Portland or Winston-Salem or several of the other places that the USTA likes to choose. :sobbing:

Wienerschnitzel looks goooood. I would so eat that now if there was some here.

kaylee
12-04-2007, 06:56 PM
Hahaha Holly neither do they from Canada. My trip to Winston-Salem was a nightmare BUT it was worth the hastle cos I got to meet some people from ar.com and also Tangerine! Oh and the tennis was OK too!!! :lol:

GollyLou
12-04-2007, 07:13 PM
Obviously there are reasons for picking those sites, because there will need to be lots of hotel rooms and facilities available at short notice and the stadium will need to be available for the whole week for practise and stuff. A lot of the people I met at Portland had actually had to take connecting flights into Portland even from other places in the US.

Deboogle!.
12-04-2007, 08:18 PM
Yeah, Portland is neither a major major city nor a hub for any major US Airlines that I'm aware of, so flights there will be tough no matter where you're talking about coming from.

Kate I didn't know you met tangy, how fun!

Luckily, at least in April, the weather is a lot better, which would allow for much wider possibilities for outdoor ties throughout the whole south

~*BGT*~
12-04-2007, 09:14 PM
Yeah, Portland is neither a major major city nor a hub for any major US Airlines that I'm aware of, so flights there will be tough no matter where you're talking about coming from.

Kate I didn't know you met tangy, how fun!

Luckily, at least in April, the weather is a lot better, which would allow for much wider possibilities for outdoor ties throughout the whole south

We could have it in Baton Rouge, LA, where I live. The PMAC stadium would be perfect for lots of reasons. :D

GollyLou
12-04-2007, 09:49 PM
We could have it in Baton Rouge, LA, where I live. The PMAC stadium would be perfect for lots of reasons. :D

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: That would be so perfect.

knight_ley
12-05-2007, 02:15 AM

:o :o :o I am so sorry I asked what it was.... :o

kaylee
12-05-2007, 06:39 PM
Hehehehe Mary hmmm unless u r a veal lover I would stay away!

I don't mind having connecting flights it was just the connecting airports that were bad (although I did have to wait in Toronto for 5 hours for them to change a tire on the plane but that is another story).

Deb Tangerine is a lovely person!!!!

tangerine_dream
01-28-2008, 09:52 PM
^^ Thanks, Kate. You're a sweet person too. :kiss: I'm sure people would be shocked to find out that I'm really quite normal in person. :angel:

So, after the disastrous performance of our American boys at AO (except for Blake, who did very well) I have a bad feeling about DC this year. If they couldn't get inspired to do well at AO when all the luck and momentum was on their side then how are they going to find that extra gear for DC now that they've won it? Bah. First round exit coming right up.

kaylee
01-29-2008, 04:14 PM
No, no, no Tangy DC always inspires Andy no matter how badly he has done in previous matches/tournaments. The Bryans didn't exactly do well either but they always seem to find a second wind when playing for their country. I see 5-0 heehee!

tangerine_dream
01-29-2008, 04:39 PM
I hope you're right Kaylee. After Andy's craptastic AO I'm not terribly excited about his upcoming tournaments. :o

Deboogle!.
01-29-2008, 05:15 PM
The one event Andy's never given cause for concern - at least in terms of his energy level, passion, and dedication - is DC. So I'm feeling pretty good about it til he gives a reason not to :unsure: :scared:

kaylee
01-29-2008, 06:18 PM
I agree with Deb btw guys go over to si.com there some players are given grades, Andy was B- and the caption is hilarious.

Deboogle!.
01-30-2008, 11:34 PM
UNITED STATES TENNIS ASSOCIATION MEDIA CONFERENCE

January 30, 2008

Patrick McEnroe

THE MODERATOR: Thank you everyone for joining us today for our media conference call with U.S. Davis Cup Captain, Patrick McEnroe. The U.S. begins their defense of their Davis Cup title next weekend against Austria on an indoor red clay court in Vienna. Just eight weeks ago the U.S. Davis Cup Team defeated Russia in the 2007 Davis Cup by BNP Paribas final in Portland, to win its record 32nd Davis Cup Title and its first since 1985.
This will be the ninth consecutive time that Andy Roddick, James Blake and the Bryan brothers have represented the U.S. in the Davis Cup dating back to the 2005 world group playoff game in Belgium. With that, we'll open it up to questions.

Q. How is your approach different? Does it feel different to be the defending champion coming into Davis Cup this time?
PATRICK McENROE: Well, it doesn't, our approach isn't different. I think it feels great to know that we've been able to win the Cup. Certainly that's been a huge goal for us as a team for all these years.
I know that the hunger to continue to try to win is still there. Obviously, it will be the first time that we're all together as a team, so I think that's exciting. Obviously we've got the same group of guys back, so the commitment from the guys is still there and is still incredibly good.
But I think we all feel pretty darn proud that we were able to do it and do it with this team. I think the rest of it moving forward now it will be a different feeling, I think. But I think it will make us even hungrier to try to make a run again.

Q. Was there any thought to giving somebody new, somebody young, maybe, a chance to play in the opening round?
PATRICK McENROE: You know, I don't think there is anybody really that quite ready to do that yet. This is going to be a tough match. Austria has got a couple of very good players. To go away and play on clay has always been difficult. So to be perfectly honest, I really think we need our best team to have a chance to move forward and win this match.
So I don't think there's quite the guys yet that are ready to step into this kind of environment, you know, both physically and mentally. But I think we've certainly got some guys making progress from the younger front, and we'll continue to try to look at them and keep them in the mix as much as we can.

Q. On the Davis Cup, you say that the hunger's still there and all that. Do you worry at all about sort of an emotional let down going from a championship to a first round match. That is the first question. And the second thing is of all the great stories at the Australian Open this year, what do you think were maybe the two biggest surprises or things that make the rest of the season a little more interesting?
PATRICK McENROE: Well, first of all, I don't really worry about the passion of the guys. I think there are let downs, as I said. I think winning it is something we've always had, and now we've done it. That was a huge motivating factor behind all the guys staying together.
But at the same time, I think the other motivating factor is that the guys just love Davis Cup. They love to play for their country. They love the environment. And in that sense you love that obviously as a captain that they continue to want to come back. So I don't feel like we've lost any of that. I feel like in some sense getting that sort of monkey off our back might make us sort of enjoy it even more and play even better.
In the first round match to go away and play a tough team on clay is not easy. As far as the Australian Open goes, I think certainly the biggest door had to be Federer losing and sort of another young guy thrown into the mix in Djokovic to win a major. I think that for the first time for me leaving the Australian Open in the last four or five years, I felt like it's sort of up for grabs who can be number one. I don't think it's a given that Federer's going to be number one. I think in years past it's been this guy's going to be number one for sure. It's just how many majors is he going to win?
That's one thing that I left there thinking about. And I thought that Tsonga had an incredible run. It was sort of a breath of fresh air to see someone with that charisma and personality and game.
I think the men's game is in great shape. You've got some terrific young players coming up. You have some of the veteran guys that will still be around. Hopefully our top two guys will continue to stay in the mix and stay in the Top 10, and in Roddick and Blake, I think they will.:tape:
As far as the women go I thought that even on their side it should be an exciting year. I thought Venus and Serena came down there looking in good shape and looking extremely motivated. Sharapova sort of took her game to another level, which was great to see. And you throw in Justine Henin and the two young Serbs, and I think you've got the makings -- I think you could easily see four different slam winners in the women's game this year. So I think there is a real race for number one there as well.

Q. What makes the Bryan brothers so special, what they did?
PATRICK McENROE: I guess number one, they win. So that's always helpful. But they bring so much to the table as far as their energy and their enthusiasm and their professionalism. You know what I've always admired about them is that every time they come to play a Davis Cup match, they treat it as if it's the biggest match they've ever played. And I mean that's really true. They sort of put that kind of pressure on themselves that this is the biggest match of the year. We've got to win this one.
So I really admire the way they can handle putting that kind of pressure on themselves and actually go out there and play their best tennis. I think they'd be the first to admit that some of the best matches they've ever played have been in Davis Cup.
So I love that about them. I love, as I said, what they bring from an energy standpoint, and the commitment standpoint, the way they prepare for their matches every day during the Davis Cup week is amazing to watch. So not only do I think it rubbed off on Andy and James, but I think for the young players that we bring along as practice guys, it's great to see -- for them to see how professional the Bryans are and how much passion they bring to not just every match, but sort of to preparing for the match. So you can't really replace that kind of passion.

Q. Do they have similar personalities?
PATRICK McENROE: No, they're pretty different. They're different. Bob is the more sort of probably more the leader of the team, and Mike's a little more of a worrier:lol:, and he's always worried about something. They sort of feed off each other and know how to make each other tick and help each other out if one of them's struggling in a certain way.
Certainly from my standpoint as a captain, I've learned over the years that one of them might need a little more of my attention at certain times. Even though they look exactly the same, they're definitely different personalities.

Q. What does your win last year in the Davis Cup, what's that say about the state of tennis right now in the states?
PATRICK McENROE: I think it can only help. I think I feel like tennis overall is on a major upswing. I think this is only going to help. I think we saw the passion from our fans and the different places that we went to like Winston-Salem last year and Portland. You know, people really came out to support it. So I think that's great news. We've just got to try to build on that. It's a small part of what the USTA is trying to do and what tennis fans are trying to do all around the country.
We hope that we, just like we did years ago when Andy Roddick was at the Davis Cup final in Texas in '91 or '92, we hope that we have some of those young player that showed up to some of these matches. I think our fans that came to the actual matches were pretty inspired by what they saw.

Q. Are any of the young players are the verge of a breakthrough like what we saw from like Tsonga at the Australian Open?
PATRICK McENROE: I think we're not quite there, but I think we're getting closer. I think Sam Querrey had a pretty good Australian Open. Got to the third round. I think he made some real progress physically in the off-season, got a lot stronger. I think Donald Young certainly has potential. He's still got a lot of physical work to do, I think, to get to the level of a Tsonga. But game-wise, I think he's got a lot of ability.
So I think those two guys have some serious ability. We've got some other young guys coming up that I think could make some inroads like Jesse Levine, a kid from Florida who is coming with us to Austria. So we're looking forward to having him with us and helping our guys out.

Q. As you mentioned before, you started with an early road test on clay. Does the team take a lot of confidence knowing that they went to the Czech Republic last year? Roddick beat Berdych on the indoor clay, once you got there you won that as well?
PATRICK McENROE: Yeah, I think going back even a couple of years ago when we went to Belgium and won there, which was a very tough match also on indoor clay playing extremely well and Andy having a five-set match there. So that helps. And I think doing that in the last couple of years has been paramount to us. We were fortunate to get the final at home, but we had to win two road matches. So I think we'll go in there with confidence.
But we'll also go in there knowing it's extremely difficult winning on the road. You've got to keep your whits about you and mentally stay in it from the first point to the last. You know the crowd's going to be against you, and we're playing some darn good players. But I do think that having those wins in the last couple of years has certainly been a huge factor for us.

Q. Your early thoughts on the Austrian roster? You have two lefties Koubek and Melzer, who is easier to deal with?
PATRICK McENROE: They're both good players. They both have a lot of experience. They've both beaten big players in their careers. Koubek plays well in the Australian Open. Melzer is dangerous. And playing in front of their home crowd they'll be even that much better. So they're quality players.
They're guys you've got to beat even if you play them in a regular tournament. James had a very tough four-set match with Koubek in the U.S. Open. So we're well aware of what they bring to the table. But at the same time our guys, you know, will be ready. So, hopefully, we can somehow sneak through this one and make a run.

Q. Is that part of the thought process there that he was lefty and he could help out with the match-ups?
PATRICK McENROE: Oh, absolutely. We actually have another lefty named (indiscernible) who was a college player for a couple of years coming with us, too. So we tried to get out a couple of lefties that we could. So that is definitely part of our preparation.

Q. Five different winners now in Davis Cup in the last five years. Do you get the sense that teams are now gunning for you as the defending championship? Does that really show you how hard it is to defend?
PATRICK McENROE: I think it does show you that. I don't think anyone's gunning for us more than they normally are. We're the USA so I think people always gear up to play us. But that's good, that's normal. I think, obviously, you've got countries now that you get two really good players and you can make a run. We've seen that in the last few years.
Then you've got the traditional powers in the last 15 years like France and Spain and Russia and the U.S. still fielding good teams. Now you've got teams like an Austria has got a couple of dangerous players. Croatia that did for a couple of years. Serbia now would be a tough team to play. So that is sort of the beauty of Davis Cup, and the fact that tennis is growing in so many places around the world. Great players are coming from sort of non-traditional tennis powers.

Q. What should we take out of the Americans performance at the Australian Open? Blake, Roddick, Bryans, definitely showed some signs that their game had carried over from the final.
PATRICK McENROE: I think certainly from Andy's standpoint was disappointing. I think he was playing well and he ran into a guy that got extremely hot in Kohlschreiber and lost a tough match. :tape: But Andy usually moves on pretty quickly and has a long year ahead of him. I think he's done a lot of hard work in the off-season. So I expect him to be ready to go over there.
James had an excellent tournament, I thought, getting to the quarters and playing Federer very tough. And coming back and winning a match five sets and two sets to Love down was huge for him mentally. So I think James has had signature wins for him in the last few months. Starting with last year's U.S. Open, and then the Davis Cup final, winning that match against Youzhny and coming from way down against Grosjean, so I think that's a good sign for James. And I fully expect he'll play in the Top 10 for most of this year.
For the Bryans, they're always disappointed to not play for a title and a slam. They've set the bar pretty high for themselves. They've lost a tough match, very tough match, in fact the one they lost down under. The last thing I'm ever worried about are the Bryan brothers.

Q. Can you describe as captain it's a difficult proposition to be coach for a week for these players. Describe some of these things you might be relating to them playing on a red clay court against difficult opponents on the road. What sort of different approach do you take in a match like this?
PATRICK McENROE: I think it's sort of important for them to keep their whits about them. They need to stay solid. It's something that Andy really improved over the years. I think it's a sign that James is starting to do the same thing. And James, quite honestly, has a little trouble doing that in some of the away matches. It gets too up-and-down. And so I think the matches that James has won, as I mentioned, over the last few months I thought were really signature matches for him.
From a mental standpoint, I think it will really serve him well in that situation. He had to go in knowing that there are going to be tricky spots. That you're not going to be able to sort of play an aggressive game point in and point out and you just have to weather the storm in a five-set match on clay. I think it's more of that from a mental standpoint.
I still want our guys to play their game. Obviously you try to play with a little more margin, a little more spin, if you can on the clay. I think for our guys they know how to do that, it's just a question of not letting the conditions effect them in a negative way mentally. (don't worry PMac, playing with some spin won't be a problem for Andy :yeah: :o:o:o)

Q. Looking across the net at Koubek and Melzer, two very volatile characters. For you, how much do you keep your eye on these guys and see if they're ready to go down? Do you sort of understand what it takes to get these guys off their game?
PATRICK McENROE: Well, I think for them, obviously they're going to handle their emotions better because they're playing at home and that's where the home crowd can really help you. I think for our guys it's really taking care of their own mentality and taking care of themselves. Not letting whatever they're doing on the other side effect them.
These guys, as you said, are going to be pretty volatile. They're capable of playing great for a couple of stretches and they're capable of going south at some point. So I think if we're mentally sounder, that's going to give us a much better chance to win.

Q. Who do you think is going to be the doubles side from Austria?
PATRICK McENROE: Well, I've heard that Knowle has had some problems, I believe, with his elbow. There were some questions as to how healthy he was. Assuming he's healthy I would say it's going to be Knowle and Melzer in the doubles. That would be my assumption.
But we're never really that worried about who is going to step out. The Bryans usually prepare for whatever options can be there during the week as far as do we play against two lefties, play against a lefty-righty? Are they going to stay back?
So as soon as they found out who was playing, for instance, in the final against Russia, you know, their next practice they went out and made sure they practiced against guys that were staying back. So they sort of do a really good job of preparing for whoever the opposition throws out at them.

Q. Can you talk about it's only eight weeks since you guys won the title. I know you've been vocal in the past about the format for Davis Cup. Now you're, as champions, going to have to start defending soon. Can you talk about what format you think would be stronger for the competition?
PATRICK McENROE: You know, I'd rather not talk about that at this moment. I'd rather focus on the match, and this is what the match is coming up. There are plenty of countries that have won it. We're glad we won it, okay. We have to deal with the quick turn around. I'd rather not talk about that at this particular moment.

Q. You've been able to get the guys to come out each and every match, which previous captains have had a problem with of late. On the women's side they seem to be having the same problem. How difficult do you think it is for our country that Serena or Venus aren't supporting the Fed Cup?
PATRICK McENROE: I can only speak for myself and our team, which is that I've been extremely lucky. We've got a group of guys that love to play for their country, that love supporting each other and that have answered the call every single time I've asked them. So that's pretty amazing considering the world we live in.
I certainly understand the players that do skip matches here and there. I feel for Zina and now for Mary Joe what they have to deal with. As I said, I've been very lucky that these guys continue to play.
I'd love to take the credit, but to be quite honest, the credit goes to them because they really do enjoy it. They really do enjoy the weeks together, and I think it helps that they all get along so well with each other. They're great friends away from Davis Cup.
When I first became captain the first thing I said was I want to try to get players that real want to play. Really want to be there. I've been lucky those guys have been the guys that are our best players. But it is tricky with the schedule and all the other things going on. Not having Serena and Venus certainly makes it difficult. They can pick and choose when they want to play. That makes it tough on the captain.

Q. You mentioned the Federer loss; how much more do you think this loss to Djokovic might play in his mind and also maybe the other players mind of his vulnerability as opposed to losing the few times he's lost to Nadal at the French where clay is not his surface? But this is like his money.
PATRICK McENROE: I think it's probably a little of both. Clearly he wasn't a hundred percent, but then again that's when the best players start to come down. Maybe he won't be -- maybe he will never dominate the way he did in the last couple of years. We just don't know that. That's why we're interested and we're going to watch.
But I still think they'll come back strong. I expect them to be ready to play in Indian Wells and Miami. He wants to keep the number one ranking, and he has a lot of pride.
I think for Djokovic, the guy's proved that he's the second best hard court player in the world in the last year. He's won a major. He can play on any surface. So as I said earlier, I think for the first time leaving Australia, I feel like it's not clear cut that Federer's going to be number one.
I think Djokovic proved that if you go out there and you have an all-court game and you're incredible tough and you can move very well, you can stay with Roger. And Djokovic has been able to do that countless times now. He's only beaten him twice. And even in the matches he's lost to him, including in the Open final, he was right there with him.
Obviously he's a special player. For some of the other guys out there, I think this is that's got to give them a little positive thought that they might be able to take him down.

Q. You sort of answered it already. I was going to ask about Jesse Levine. I guess because he's a lefty, that's the big reason he's going?
PATRICK McENROE: That is a big reason. Another reason is that he's shown a lot of promise. He's done real well in the last six to nine months. He's improved his ranking a lot from everything I've heard and seen, he's a great kid and incredibly hard worker.
I think the guys, meaning the guys on our team, usually have a pretty good read on how good or how hard the young guys work. And I think they respect the young guys that come along and really work hard. When they see that they really try to reach out and help them.
So I think it will be a great experience for Jesse. I think he'll get a lot of positives and I think he'll help our guys a lot.

Deboogle!.
01-30-2008, 11:47 PM
And apparently if the US beats Austria, the QF will be at Winston-Salem again. :o And people complained about all the SoCal ties - at least they were a few hours apart :ras:

tangerine_dream
01-31-2008, 02:22 AM
Credit to the Americans for playing with a full team again while other players slack off from first round duties. Our boys really love DC. :cool:

http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5g036_m4SQu6rWu-rphbyw3cPaqPA

Unlike older brother, Patrick McEnroe gets best to play Davis Cup for US team

John McEnroe's brief tenure as U.S. Davis Cup captain was marked by frequent laments about how tough it was to get Pete Sampras and Andre Agassi to play for his team.

McEnroe's successor as captain, his younger brother Patrick, has no such trouble getting the current crop of top Americans to participate - which probably is why he finally won a championship. And when the United States opens defence of its first Davis Cup title since 1995 next month, he'll once more be able to rely on Andy Roddick, James Blake and twins Bob and Mike Bryan.

"I've been extremely lucky. We've got a group of guys that love to play for their country, that love supporting each other, and that have answered the call every single time I've asked them," McEnroe said Wednesday in a conference call. "That's pretty amazing, considering the world we live in. I certainly understand the players that do skip matches here and there." :cool:

The Feb. 8-10 series at Austria will mark the record ninth consecutive time that Roddick, Blake and the Bryans comprise the U.S. team. No other quartet from the country ever participated in more than three Davis Cup series in a row, according to the U.S. Tennis Association. :worship:

"I'd love to take the credit, but to be quite honest, the credit goes to them, because they really do enjoy it and they really do enjoy the weeks together," McEnroe said.

"When I first became captain, the first thing I said was: 'I want to try to get players that really want to play, that want to be there.' I've been lucky that those guys happen to be the guys that are our best players."

Roddick is currently ranked No. 6 in singles, with Blake at No. 9. The Bryans lead the doubles rankings.

They ended the longest U.S. championship drought in Davis Cup history by beating Russia in December on an indoor hard court at Portland, Ore.

Now the quick turnaround has the group heading to Vienna to face Stefan Koubek, Jurgen Melzer, Werner Eschauer and Julian Knowle on indoor clay. Koubek is ranked 55th, Melzer 71st.

The United States has won the title 32 times, Austria none.

But McEnroe knows how tough it can be to play on the road, in a hostile environment.

"It's very important for them to keep their wits about them and mentally just stay solid," he said. "That's something that Andy has really, really improved over the years. And I think we're seeing signs that James is starting to do the same thing. James has, quite honestly, had a little trouble doing that in some of the away matches. He gets a little too up and down."

~*BGT*~
01-31-2008, 05:07 AM
And apparently if the US beats Austria, the QF will be at Winston-Salem again. :o And people complained about all the SoCal ties - at least they were a few hours apart :ras:

I assumed that. I was hoping Houston so I could drive there. :o But, planning ahead: who of y'all have gone to ties in Winston-Salem? What are good hotels to stay at, and which airport did you fly into? :wavey: Sorry if it's sort of off-topic but I'm forgoing Miami TMS for this France/USA tie. :o

kaylee
01-31-2008, 03:26 PM
Fly to Greensboro, NC. That is the nearest big airport. I stayed at a Marriot right next door to the arena so I could walk but there is nothing else there except a mall strip and if you don't have a car there isn't much else within walking distance. Best thing is to go to Davis Cup website and also the coliseum has a website too which lists hotels. Tangerine came last year too but I believe stayed downtown. I would like to go again this year but it depends when the next tie is (when they win of course)and besides getting there from where I live was a nightmare!

Deboogle!.
01-31-2008, 06:23 PM
Davis Cup, Again!

Posted By Andyroddick.com Staff On 30th January 2008 @ 19:41 In Spreen Says | Comments Disabled

We are off to Vienna for the 1st round of the 2008 Davis Cup in a few days. Hard to believe it is time for Davis Cup again. It seems like we were just in Portland winning the Davis Cup title and now it is time to try and see if the team can defend the cup. It is not going to be easy since Austria has put the matches on a clay court. They have a pretty solid team and it will take a good effort from the team to get us into the 2nd round. However Andy, James, and the Bryans have a good habit of stepping it up and playing well at Davis Cup. Been back home in Cincinnati for a little over a week and it has been a shock going from the nice weather in Australia to the cold and sometimes snow here. Well that’s all for now. Time to pack my bags and get ready to leave for Vienna in a couple of days.

Tytta!.
01-31-2008, 06:25 PM
Whoa.

Deboogle!.
01-31-2008, 07:00 PM
Whoa.

kaylee
01-31-2008, 07:15 PM
whoo hooooo

Kate87
01-31-2008, 07:47 PM
Hopefully I can go on Saturday to watch the Bryans:dance: tomorrow I will try to buy tickets:Dit's not sold out yet so I hope it won't be late:awww:

so the austrian newspapers are full with DC. I read that they will arrive on sunday. PMac will arrive 8.40am(local time) with a plane from New York. Andy's plane will arrive at 8.50 from Chicago while James and the Bryans will arrive at 9.55 from Atlanta.

Deboogle!.
01-31-2008, 07:53 PM
wow :lol: You will have to keep us updated then :lol:

Well if you do go, have a lovely time :D I forget that you're only a few hours by train :)

kaylee
01-31-2008, 07:57 PM
sigh wish I could go I love Vienna never mind, have a good time Kate!

Kate87
01-31-2008, 08:04 PM
of course I will keep you updated:)

ohoh it's not done yet, I'm a bit nervous because I have to speak german tomorrow and I haven't used it for three years:scared:I read they sold 50% of the tickets

yes, it takes one and a half hour by train:D

Deboogle!.
01-31-2008, 08:09 PM
Aw, I'm sure you'll be fine ;) Well, everyone I talked to in Vienna spoke English too, you can always try that :lol:

Only 50% of tickets sold? :eek:

only an hour and a half?!!?!? Geez, I should've gone there for a day :(

Kate87
01-31-2008, 08:17 PM
Aw, I'm sure you'll be fine ;) Well, everyone I talked to in Vienna spoke English too, you can always try that :lol:
thanks:hug:yeah but I'm not sure if they speak English in the ticket-office, too:p
Only 50% of tickets sold? :eek:
yep. I was surprised, too. and I'm almost sure that there are still tickets for the second day.
only an hour and a half?!!?!? Geez, I should've gone there for a day :(
;)you should have

Kate87
02-01-2008, 12:14 PM
oh well. I spoke with them.:scratch: I couldn't book tickets because I have to pay via credit card. BUT I can use my card only in Hungary.:o I should request a so called internet card but that is completed in 4-5days which is too late.

So we will go there on Staurday morning and HOPE that there are tickets left:unsure:

(oh and half of the conversation was in German and half of it in English. I don't want to know what he thought about me:lol:)

Tytta!.
02-01-2008, 12:18 PM
:rolls:

Hope you will get tickets, Kate :smooch:

Kate87
02-01-2008, 12:21 PM

Tytta!.
02-01-2008, 12:26 PM
:smooch: :smooch: :smooch:

Kate87
02-01-2008, 12:30 PM
:D:hug:

kaylee
02-01-2008, 02:40 PM
We will keep our fingers crossed for you!

Deboogle!.
02-01-2008, 03:57 PM
Good luck Kate! Is it a special naitonal card or something like that? Sucks you can only use it there :awww:

Kate87
02-01-2008, 04:41 PM
I didn't know it either...until today:o
yeah it's a hungarian bank but it's a visa card so I thought I can use it abroad, too...

Deboogle!.
02-01-2008, 05:32 PM
awwwwwww..... that's weird!!! I used my USA Visa all over.... must be something different about it :( well it sounds like there will be tickets anyway, hope so :D

Kate87
02-01-2008, 06:30 PM
maybe it has something to do with the fact that euro still isn't the currency here.:scratch:

yes, hopefully.:)especially since it will be "only" the doubles-day:)

Deboogle!.
02-01-2008, 06:36 PM
maybe, but the Euro is certainly not the currency here either :lol: Did your bank tell you that you couldn't use it abroad? I know for credit cards in the US if you want to take them overseas, you have to tell them beforehand otherwise they will assume your card was stolen and they will block the transaction. so I did that before I left and had no problems :awww: Like I know in Denmark, they have a national card which probably isn't accepted outside Denmark but if yours is a Visa, it just doesn't make sense to me :scratch: Ah well, yes, if they're only 50% sold out now I just can't imagine Saturday will sell out in a week :lol:

Kate87
02-01-2008, 06:47 PM
well I think I could use it abroad(I think I should tell them that I'm going to travel there...)or I don't know

when I opened my account they said to me that if i want to order something from abroad (via internet) then I must open an another account(the internet card) and its currency will be Euro or Dollar...and when I phoned them today they said exactly the same thing.:scratch:

yeah, I think so, too;)anyway I won't fury about it if the tickets are in our hands:lol:

kaylee
02-01-2008, 07:05 PM
good luck!!!!

Kate87
02-03-2008, 04:13 PM
according to Austrian media Andy will arrive only tomorrow(now from NY) because his plane couldn't take off from Chicago(beacause of the snow):rolleyes:

Tytta!.
02-03-2008, 04:15 PM
:rolleyes:

He'll get there Thursday night probably :wavey:

Deboogle!.
02-03-2008, 04:17 PM
oy :sobbing: that's what you get when you plan flights during winter through the midwest :tape:

Tytta!.
02-03-2008, 04:19 PM
Good luck Andy :wavey:

Kate87
02-03-2008, 04:33 PM
He'll get there Thursday night probably :wavey:
nooo, you know he isn't that type of person:rolls:

Tytta!.
02-03-2008, 04:38 PM
Nooooooooo :bigwave:

kaylee
02-03-2008, 04:52 PM
U guys crack me up.

Kate87
02-03-2008, 04:57 PM
;)

kaylee
02-04-2008, 02:37 PM
:wavey:

Tytta!.
02-04-2008, 02:43 PM
:wavey:

Fumus
02-04-2008, 03:34 PM
Wake me up when the master series start.

Tytta!.
02-04-2008, 03:36 PM
wake me up when he plays well :sobbing:

tangerine_dream
02-04-2008, 04:08 PM
Wake me up when he decides to play like Andy Roddick again. :zzz:

Tytta!.
02-04-2008, 04:12 PM
what she said :zzz:

kaylee
02-04-2008, 05:17 PM
oh guys don't be cruel (heehee I know EXACTLY what u mean).

Fee
02-04-2008, 06:51 PM
Wake me up when someone decides to show Men's Tennis on American TV again...

Tytta!.
02-04-2008, 06:57 PM
aw fee! :hug:

tangerine_dream
02-04-2008, 07:12 PM
Wake me up when someone decides to show Men's Tennis on American TV again...
At least you have the Tennis Channel. AND Masters TV streaming video. I have neither of those. :mad:

kaylee
02-04-2008, 07:26 PM
The problem is that the tennis channel doesn't see to be showing DC matches and also I can't get the stream video channel that I normally get so maybe I will be stuck with livescore all weekend. Bah!

Fee
02-04-2008, 07:29 PM
At least you have the Tennis Channel. AND Masters TV streaming video. I have neither of those. :mad:

Holy crap, thanks for the reminder. I think the ATP is still letting their players designate a free subscription to their online service. I need to hit someone up...

Wait, why can't you get Masters TV? Is it not Mac compatible? That's pretty shortsighted of them.

I don't know if the Tennis Channel has the rights to anything coming up, last time I looked around their website there was no info. Let me go look again.

kaylee
02-04-2008, 08:39 PM
There was a message way back that ESPN and Tennis channel had dropped coverage of SAP and Miami. I am not sure who will be carrying these tournaments but I did see something about going to the SAP website and you can watch via interactive better than nothing I guess.

tangerine_dream
02-04-2008, 08:56 PM
SAP has been carried by Fox Sports for the past few years now. Maybe Fox Sports, Versus, or CBS will pick up the Miami and Indian Wells masters. The only problem with CBS is that they'd show just the finals and nothing before that.

kaylee
02-04-2008, 09:21 PM
Well I know Versus are showing the DC matches next weekend. Now if I could only get the interactive players to work I would be so happy! Hmm yes I agree CBS only show the weekend matches.

Fee
02-04-2008, 09:32 PM
There was a message way back that ESPN and Tennis channel had dropped coverage of SAP and Miami. I am not sure who will be carrying these tournaments but I did see something about going to the SAP website and you can watch via interactive better than nothing I guess.

ESPN never carried San Jose, it's been on Fox Sports for as long as I can remember. Both Delray and San Jose will be broadcasting online using the same company, but I doublt I'll be signing up for that with my current budget.

snaillyyy
02-05-2008, 12:23 AM
Don't wake me up at all.

~*BGT*~
02-05-2008, 04:18 AM
Well I know Versus are showing the DC matches next weekend. Now if I could only get the interactive players to work I would be so happy! Hmm yes I agree CBS only show the weekend matches.

TTC will show USA/Austria and Russia/Serbia :banana:

Deboogle!.
02-05-2008, 05:06 AM
TTC is the secondary carrier for USA/Austria, though. Versus will have it every day at noon

Winston's Human
02-05-2008, 12:19 PM
Versus will be carrying the matches on tape-delay. They would not want to interfere with their regularly-scheduled fishing shows.

kaylee
02-05-2008, 02:40 PM
Hahahaha yep you got that in one! Now if I could only find Versus on my interactive channel!

tangerine_dream
02-05-2008, 07:12 PM
Versus will be carrying the matches on tape-delay. They would not want to interfere with their regularly-scheduled fishing shows.
Here on the East Coast it's usually a deer hunting show that gets preference over tennis.

U.S. faces obstacles in defending Davis Cup championship
By Bonnie D. Ford
February 5, 2008

Ten weeks have elapsed since the United States Davis Cup team won its first title in 12 years -- barely time for dry cleaners to lift the Champagne and cigar smoke from the players' laundry. Yet they're back at it again.

The relentless, year-round, no-breaks-for-victors Davis Cup carousel has spun the defending champions off to Vienna for the Feb. 8-10 first round, where they'll face Austria on soft indoor clay, the least favorable surface for the U.S. team.

It's a situation ripe for upset, as history bears out. No country has earned back-to-back Davis Cup titles since Sweden did it in 1997-98. Since then, three winners did make it all the way back to the final, but another four lost in the first round and suddenly found themselves required to win a playoff to avoid dropping out of the elite 16-team World Group.

The U.S. team does have an encouraging precedent, having kicked off its 2007 title campaign by defeating the Czech Republic away on clay. And player attendance isn't a problem. Captain Patrick McEnroe will have the same quartet on the bench for a U.S.-record ninth straight time with No. 6 Andy Roddick, No. 12 James Blake and the world's top-ranked doubles team, Bob and Mike Bryan.

Their presence was practically assumed, though never taken for granted, by McEnroe, despite the tight turnaround and a calendar crowded by the Beijing Olympics later this year. "I did not have to do any extra asking [or] convincing in any way at all," he said. "These guys are unbelievable in their commitment."

Roddick confirmed that it never crossed his mind to bail. "I'd be the first to tell you that I think the two teams in the final from the year before should get a bye into the second round," he said during a recent conference call with reporters to promote his upcoming appearance in the SAP Open in San Jose. "It's just not long enough in between.

"But that being said, you play the hand you're dealt. Davis Cup is a priority. We've won it, but that doesn't mean we're in the clear. It's going to be with us forever. But you just can't abandon what you're passionate about just because there's been a little bit of success."

Austria constitutes a somewhat quirky opponent, a veteran team that in recent years has played just well enough to stay in the World Group, but isn't strong enough to make much headway in the draw. The Austrians have lost four straight first-round encounters, including one in the United States in 2004, but avoided demotion by winning their playoff tie each time.

Three of its four players -- stubble-faced, mountain-man No. 55 Stefan Koubek, No. 58 Werner Eschauer and doubles specialist Julian Knowle -- are over 30. They're joined by No. 57 Jurgen Melzer, who's 26.

Koubek showed particular tenacity at the Australian Open, toppling Carlos Moya and taking Paul-Henri Mathieu to an 8-6 fifth set before capitulating in the third round. But the head-to-head matchups in singles tilt heavily toward the United States. Koubek and Melzer are a combined 0-10 to Roddick and 1-2 to Blake, while Eschauer has never played either one.

The Austrians are hoping that clay helps neutralize that advantage, although they're not stellar on the surface themselves. None of the team's three singles players had a winning record on clay last season. But, as Melzer noted in Australia, "It would be suicide to pick anything else. & It's going to be as wet and heavy as it can get."

Bob and Mike Bryan bring a formidable 13-1 Davis Cup record and a good comfort level on clay to the mix. They're almost certain to oppose Knowle and Melzer, who have played together for their country frequently.

Knowle, not to be confused with the inconveniently-named Mark Knowles of the Bahamas, another distinguished doubles specialist, is currently ranked sixth in the world. He and regular partner Simon Aspelin of Sweden won their first career Grand Slam title at the U.S. Open last year, breaking the Bryans' hearts in the quarterfinals along the way.

No discussion of Davis Cup is complete these days, it seems, without questioning its structure. Is it sporting for the defending champion to have to start from less than scratch, away on a treacherous surface, as the U.S. will this year?

McEnroe has grown so weary of that line of inquiry that he won't respond to it, saying it's better for him to simply focus on the schedule as it exists. His fatalism may be realistic, given that International Tennis Federation president Francesco Ricci Bitti has repeatedly said he thinks the format is fine the way it is.

"We believe that each solution has its pros and cons," Ricci Bitti said after the U.S. team clinched against Russia in Portland, Ore., last December. "But the solution that we have now, first is a traditional one, and second has much more pros for the majority of the countries. We have to listen to the majority of the countries, because we are an organization of 205 countries, about 140 taking part in the Davis Cup every year."

Blake took issue with that when he spoke to reporters after losing to Roger Federer in the Australian Open quarterfinals. "I understand [the ITF's] position that the smaller countries need this for revenue," he said. "It just doesn't seem to be gaining any momentum. & I don't know if we're looking at the big picture: the fact that if we fix the system, maybe the small countries can benefit more from the whole system benefitting in the long run."

He agreed with Roddick that first-round byes would be a way to reward finalists without tweaking the system too much. "My coach, my friends can't believe that I'm already getting ready to go to Davis Cup again, because they feel I should still be celebrating the fact that we just won," Blake said. "With how exciting, how much drama there is involved, how much emotion we spend on that, to be going back and playing again is just insane."

Yet this Davis Cup tie arguably falls at an auspicious time for the U.S. players to ramp up from recent disappointments. Blake wasn't able to solve Federer. Roddick has played sparingly since last fall -- nine matches total since late September -- and didn't get the workout he wanted in Australia after losing to Philipp Kohlschreiber in the third round. The Bryans, two-time defending Australian Open champions, were upset in the quarterfinals in Melbourne.

"I'm sure once we get there, it's amazing what playing in front of a hostile crowd can do for your competitive juices," Roddick said. "It's just a matter of trying to get in good practices and then hope adrenaline takes over, which it always does in Davis Cup."

If the U.S. wins and favored France beats Romania in its first-round tie, the U.S. would host France in the quarterfinals in Winston-Salem, N.C., in April.

Photo caption: The U.S. is going to have to put this image behind it as the 2008 Davis Cup season is already here.

kaylee
02-05-2008, 09:26 PM
sigh Tangerine another visit to W-S? Sadly the time off would not work this time around Goooo Team USA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deboogle!.
02-06-2008, 02:06 AM
PMac is blogging from Vienna :p
===================
Blog Entry #1 - Tuesday, Feb. 5

Before I share my thoughts on our Davis Cup first-round match-up with Austria in Vienna, I’d first like to congratulate Zina Garrison and the U.S. Fed Cup team on their win over Germany in La Jolla. I was really happy to see American Ashley Harkleroad get a couple of big wins – that was a really nice story.

Also, I was really happy for new U.S. coach and fellow ESPN broadcaster Mary Joe Fernandez, who made her debut with the team. It’s always nice to open with a win. It was nice to see how Lindsay Davenport rebounded after a tough first match. Overall, it’s great that the United States has made it into the Fed Cup final four, with a tough semifinal match on the road against Russia next.

But, hey, we’re expecting a tough match here in Vienna. Every Davis Cup match is a tough match, including the doubles, which could be tricky. Austria doesn’t have any players who are dominant, but they have a very solid overall club. On this indoor clay court, with a strong crowd, it’s not going to be easy.

Thinking back to the last time that we played Austria in February 2004 at the Mohegan Sun Arena in Connecticut (the United States swept Austria, 5-0), it was a totally different atmosphere, but one of the things that I remembered the most was how great Jurgen Melzer of Austria played. For a couple of sets against Robby Ginepri, he really made him work. Robby was able to turn it around and win it in five sets, and that was certainly a key match in that series. On a fast indoor court, Andy Roddick set a new serve speed record there, too.

All of our guys have played against their guys a lot, so I think there’s a lot of respect between both sides. For the Austrians to play against the United States in their home country, it is a huge opportunity for them.

This is our first day here at the stadium (the U.S. trained at a different indoor facility in the days prior). I think the court is playing pretty good. Indoor red clay is always going to be tough for us, but as far as the surface itself, it’s in pretty decent condition. By match-time on Friday, I expect that our players will be used to it.

I must say that it’s a little strange coming back so soon after wining the Davis Cup last December, but we know what the deal is. The good news is that we have the same team coming back, and all of the guys are as committed as ever.

I’ve been asked so many times if it was difficult to get the guys to come back. People just assumed that once we won the Cup, the guys would lose some interest, but that’s really not what this team is about. The team has always been about the love for their country and being part of this group of guys and enjoying the Davis Cup weeks. Obviously, the goal to win it all is there, but I think the reason they keep coming back is because they enjoy it so much. Just because you achieve a goal doesn’t mean that you lose your interest and the process to get to the top. That’s just a great lesson to learn from these guys, how much they support Davis Cup.

Although we’re halfway around the world, everyone knew about the Super Bowl and watched some or all of it. Andy Roddick was on a flight during the game, and James Blake, a die-hard Giants fan, was back at the hotel watching it. James and I had an agreement during the Australian Open that if he beat Roger Federer, he could go to the Super Bowl. I changed that to winning the whole tournament, not just beating Federer. So I would have loved to have seen him win it, but I was glad that he got here on Sunday.

Now that we’re here, I’m hoping to get everyone rested and ready to go. It’s going to be a tough weekend, so I want to make sure that everyone is as fit and fresh as possible.

Tytta!.
02-06-2008, 11:57 AM
Obrigada, Deb. :smooch:

kaylee
02-06-2008, 02:40 PM
whoooo hoooo Pmac that daughter of his is adorable!!!!

Raina
02-06-2008, 02:55 PM
Andy Roddick, right, from the United States makes an imprint of his hand for a plaque that will be displayed on a Vienna shopping street, on Wednesday, Feb. 6, 2008, at Vienna's Dusika stadium. The plaque will be included in a sidewalk display that already features the feet and hand imprints of various other athletes. Andy Roddick is part of the U.S. Davis Cup team that will play against Austria this weekend.

Tytta!.
02-06-2008, 03:01 PM
Thank you, Raina! :smooch:

Deboogle!.
02-06-2008, 03:02 PM
WTF? :lol:

Andy's hair looks really short :o

Tytta!.
02-06-2008, 03:02 PM
I'm surprised he actually got there. :wavey:

kaylee
02-06-2008, 03:50 PM
well he did say he wondered where it was going. Perhaps he is giving his hair a hand personally I like it long but there ya go!

Raina
02-06-2008, 03:52 PM
Blog Entry #2 – Wednesday, Feb. 6

Today, the team practiced from 9 a.m. to noon at the stadium (locally known as the Ferry Dusika Hallenstadion). Following practice, we had our first press conference of the week.

I haven’t been to Vienna in about 10 years. It’s a beautiful city with great culture. I actually had a coach when I was a player on tour who lived here. He was an Austrian guy, Gunter Bresnik, so I actually spent a bit of time here. Gunter used to be the Austrian Davis Cup captain. In fact, he was the captain the last time that we played Austria in 2004. He coached me for about a year in the early 90s.

Just a few short months removed from the 2007 Davis Cup Final, we’re still savoring the victory. As I’ve said in the past, it was an awesome weekend, an awesome year, and to be able to do it with the same group of guys that have been together for so long is great. So we’re still savoring it, but we’re really looking forward to trying to do it again.

Meanwhile, you might have heard that the USTA has already selected Winston-Salem, N.C., as the potential site for the Davis Cup quarterfinal in April (11-13). We played a home tie there last year at the Joel Coliseum, defeating Spain, and were treated so nicely by the organizers of the event.

If we’re fortunate to get past Austria – which won’t be easy – we’d host the winner of the first-round match-up between France and Romania. We’re obviously not trying to look too far down the road, but I think that the French have a very versatile team.

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga was obviously a great story at the Australian Open, reaching the final. He provided a real breath of fresh air to the sport, and hopefully, he’ll continue to stay healthy and keep doing well. That would be a big match for us to play them at home – it would be a great tie.

Really, if you think about it, there are a lot of positives going for tennis at the moment. There’s going to be a Pete Sampras vs. Roger Federer exhibition match at Madison Square Garden in New York City in March, which I’ve heard is almost sold out. The Australian Open was tremendous on the heels of the United States winning the Davis Cup, so there’s a lot of good buzz. So that’s why I’d love to see us get another home match as the champion – that’s definitely part of our inspiration to try to get a win here. Because to go to Winston-Salem, in front of another huge crowd, would be great for the game.

But again, by no means have we put that in pen. We realize how tough this match is going to be. I can tell you that the guys aren’t looking ahead to that just yet.

:)

kaylee
02-06-2008, 03:56 PM
great articles keep them coming!!!!

tangerine_dream
02-06-2008, 05:39 PM
It looks like Andy cut his hair again. Thankfully he's decided to leave the cap on until it grows out a bit. :scared:

*edit*

Roddick's domination of top Austrians gives U.S. Davis Cup edge
Feb. 6, 2008

VIENNA, Austria -- Andy Roddick has had nothing but success against Austria's top two players, and that should give the United States the edge in the first round of the Davis Cup.

Roddick, who helped the Americans win their 32nd Davis Cup title in December, is 4-0 in his career against Stefan Koubek and 6-0 against Jurgen Melzer. But the sixth-ranked American is still wary of the best-of-five series, which starts Friday with two singles matches.

"I always played some of my best tennis against these guys, for whatever reason," Roddick said Wednesday, a day ahead of the draw. "But I never played them in Austria in front of a big home crowd or on a slow clay court. So that's no warranty."

The Austrians plan to have about 6,500 fans at the Ferry-Dusika Stadium, which has a slow clay court that the hosts hope will hinder the Americans.

"These are the most difficult circumstances for me to play," Roddick said after finishing a training session.

Austria has not won in the World Group since 1995, and has lost to the U.S. in both previous encounters -- on clay in Vienna in 1990 and on hard courts in Connecticut in 2004.

"I don't say we are favorite to win," U.S. captain Patrick McEnroe said. "We have a lot of respect for Austria and need to play well and handle the circumstances to get a good result."

Roddick will be joined by James Blake and doubles pair Bob and Mike Bryan.

"Both Koubek and Melzer have beaten top-10 players so they can be dangerous," Blake said. "We put a lot of pressure on us to win the title last year, and now we have done that we should be well equipped to defend it."

Blake also said he doesn't mind being the team's No. 2 singles player behind Roddick.

"I am in this role ever since being in the team and I like it," Blake said. "Andy is one the best players in American tennis history and Bob and Mike are the world's best doubles pair, so I am glad to be part of this team. I am No. 2 but would be No. 1 in many other teams."

The Bryan brothers, who lost in the quarterfinals of the Australian Open last month, are expected to play Melzer and U.S. Open doubles champion Julian Knowle on Saturday. The reverse singles are set for Sunday.

kaylee
02-06-2008, 06:10 PM
:haha::haha::haha: Tangy - poor Andy damned if he does and damned if he doesn't but I have to agree.

Kate87
02-06-2008, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the pics and the articles.:)I'll check out this Walk of Fame on Saturday:D

DAVIS CUP FIRST ROUND: USA v AUSTRIA

February 6, 2008

VIENNA, AUSTRIA

TIM CURRY (THE MODERATOR): Questions for Captain McEnroe and the US Team.

Q. Can you tell us about your first impressions here? Also what do you think about this type of court?
CAPTAIN McENROE: We're very happy to be here. I think, obviously, you know, Austria has a very good team, solid players all around. We're expecting a tough match.
But the court is fine. I think it's normal that indoor clay courts take a couple of days to settle and get a little better. But I think for the first couple of days it's been okay. I think by Friday it will be much better.

Q. How do you manage it that you always have these four guys on your team? Nine times in a row. Some people here in Austria expected maybe one time, come and have a big success.
CAPTAIN McENROE: I think we're lucky, that's all. These guys have been committed to playing for their country ever since they started playing. There's no secret other than they care, and they're committed thru wins and losses. So I think we should ask them more why, than ask me. I've just been lucky to be here and to be part of this ride.

Q. You never lost a set to Melzer and Koubek are they a big favorite?
ANDY RODDICK: You can look at it two ways either they're due to win a set or two or three. I matches that I remember I remember I played some of my best tennis against those two guys for whatever reason. But never in this type of atmosphere, you know, in their home country, on clay. It's going to probably be the most difficult situation for me to play them in. So I don't know if I'm putting a whole lot of stock into the previous meetings.

Q. James, is there any pressure as the defending champions, or is this just another tie for you guys?
JAMES BLAKE: I don't think there is such a thing as just another tie in Davis Cup. There is so much pressure we put on ourselves. We wanted to do this for many reasons: especially for how much we care about the team and the fact that we're representing our country. So there's no Davis Cup title without pressure.
To add anymore pressure being defending champs, I don't know if I'd put any stock in that, because like I said we put so much pressure on ourselves before that. We're proud to be Davis Cup champions. We understand that the bullseye's on our back as the champions.
But Andy and the Bryans are probably even more comfortable dealing with that than I am, being at the top of the game for so long. So, we should be pretty well equipped to deal with whatever pressure is put on us.

Q. Still kind of surreal being here so soon after winning the Cup?
JAMES BLAKE: It does. And you know, it's tough, I think. Tougher for the fans to realize than it is us. Because for fans to see how excited and how thrilled we were to be Davis Cup champions just a couple months ago and realize we're already playing again is just crazy to think how quickly of a turn around it is, and the fact that we had a Grand Slam, one of our biggest events in between. It just shows how seemingly endless the schedule is. And that maybe there could be calls for reform and maybe having the finalist nations get a bye or have it every two years.
But that is something we need to discuss with the ITF, and hopefully they'll understand the point of view from the players' side as opposed to just the organizers' side.

Q. The Austrians in a way think you might be the weakest point in a very strong team. What do you think of this role?
JAMES BLAKE: I think I've been in that role ever since this team was put together. Andy Roddick's one of the best players America's ever seen. And I'm pretty comfortable with the situation being that I am also playing with the best doubles team in the world.
So, I mean, I'm realistic that I'm the number 2, and that's probably going to be the focal point of most teams. I understand that pressure. I know that coming in, and I hope these guys have the confidence in me that I'm going to give my best and hopefully come up with at least one, maybe two wins.
I feel like every team has a number 2 that the other teams kind of focus in on as the weak point. I feel like I'm hopefully not quite as weak as any other teams. I feel like I'm a pretty strong number 2. On other teams I could even be a number 1. So I'm pretty comfortable with that role that they're going to try to win two against me, and I'm just going to make sure not to let that happen.
ANDY RODDICK: That being said, the majority of the time he's ranked higher than number one for most teams, so that's pretty good for us.

Q. Bob and Mike, do you guys still think about that final point where you clinched it (the 2007 Davis Cup title)?
MIKE BRYAN: Yeah, every day. We're still riding high after winning that. That was, I think, the pinnacle of our career. Just dreaming about Davis Cup for so long and being able to clinch it. Looking back and seeing some of the pictures, seeing Andy and James jump on us, and the celebrations were so fun. Yeah, I mean, it was one of our huge goals. And yeah, we accomplished it and had, and we were fortunate enough to be able to clinch it, which is cool.

Q. Should people take too much out of your result in Australia?
BOB BRYAN: Obviously it was, you know, it was tough to lose a heartbreaker in the quarters there. But like James says, the schedule never stops. There's always the next opportunity. Right when we lost there, we started shifting our eyes to this match right here and started working hard. Tennis always gives you that next chance to redeem yourself and to have a next glory.
So we really want to win this match. It's a big match for us, and we're playing against a tough team. One of the toughest teams in Davis Cup. Julian Knowle beat us at the US Open. So we know he can play good tennis. Hopefully, they're going to play their best stuff, and we can match them and play a little better.

Q. Can you tell a little about what Davis Cup means to you? Also you've had more time than expected as preparation. Do you prepare more for this Davis Cup now?
ANDY RODDICK: I think it goes without saying, I've said many times that Davis Cup means a lot to me. It's a priority in my career that hasn't changed since last year. I guess you could say the one good thing coming out of Australia was that I had more time to prepare for this tie which I took advantage of. So I feel prepared.

Q. Andy, what do you remember from the last tie against Austria at Mohegan Sun? I think you had a record serve at the time.
ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, I don't know. I don't get too high on the service guns and speeds and stuff. That's kind of just something that's like a circus stat as opposed to anything that has any substance or relevance in the grand scheme of things.
But I remember it was a little bit of a smaller crowd than expected because there was a snowstorm outside when we started. So I'm hoping the weather will stay like this so we can actually have a crowd.

Q. In your estimation, can you say what do you think your odds are as the favorites?
CAPTAIN McENROE: No, I don't get into any of that. But I think your guys look good. We're ready to play our best. We all know that each match has potential difficulties, but each match for them has difficulties, too. So we have a lot of respect for their team. They've got experience, so I think if our guys play well and if they handle the conditions well, we've got a good chance.

Q. James, Koubek and Eschauer, which one is the most dangerous for you?
JAMES BLAKE: Tough to say most dangerous with the depth in men's tennis the way it is because anyone on a given day can play Top 10 tennis. Both of them have beaten Top 10 players and both can compete in Davis Cup as well. So I would say either one on a given day can be very dangerous. So I don't want to rate them one higher than the other.
They're very close in the rankings. Koubek's just a couple spots higher. So it shows throughout the past year they've had a very comparable year. So both of them, I know, are going to be very dangerous.

Q. Do you keep your guys concentrated? They must be watching TV all the time: First Super Bowl and Super Tuesday?
CAPTAIN McENROE: It's good, keeps us busy when we're back in the hotel. As long as they come on the court and concentrated, that's all I care about.
ANDY RODDICK: We don't play football, and I don't think any of us are running for office any time soon.
CAPTAIN McENROE: You should, you should consider that.
ANDY RODDICK: I'm good. I'm politically correct. Never say anything bad, so, I'd be a good policitian.
CAPTAIN McENROE: We're hoping for a Super Weekend for us.
ANDY RODDICK: Super Sunday.
TIM CURRY (THE MODERATOR): Thank you.

kaylee
02-06-2008, 08:18 PM
Wow Kate does that mean you got tickets? Geeze I wish my budget stretched to Davis Cup but I love the sun too much!

Kate87
02-06-2008, 08:59 PM
No, I can only buy them there:o
I wrote that beacause the caption said it will be on a shopping street in Vienna ;)

kaylee
02-06-2008, 09:14 PM
I know I keep saying this BUT this forum is more up-to-date than Andy's own which I am not sure, says about the ar.com staff. Good luck on getting tickets!!!

partygirl
02-06-2008, 09:31 PM
This Forum is super awesome-ness;)
-cause we roll like that, even among the other forums here...we are tops & thats just that.

At this point i don't think i could care any less about Davis cup, considering all the other tennis i will be missing.

eh.http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/sick009.gif

partygirl
02-06-2008, 09:33 PM
Buzzcut:rocker2:

Kate87
02-06-2008, 10:15 PM
This Forum is super awesome-ness;)
-cause we roll like that, even among the other forums here...we are tops & thats just that.
:rocker2::banana:

Deboogle!.
02-07-2008, 01:56 AM
:p http://www.laola1.tv/asx/1202349317_26303.asx

Kate87
02-07-2008, 11:28 AM
Thanks Deb:)
I can't open the link you posted so maybe I'll post the same thing:p
there are videos on (that ^ (http://www.laola1.tv/index.php)) site, too but you can watch them after registration(which is in German). you can use my username(Kate107) and password(EvsQ5o21). Good luck:D

EDIT: maybe that link^ is a video and only this library pc cant open it?! ;):scratch:

Raina
02-07-2008, 12:11 PM
Thanks Deb & Kate, but the link does not work for me! :sad:

Tytta!.
02-07-2008, 12:53 PM
Deb's link says:

Not Found

The requested URL /asx/1202349317_26303.asx was not found on this server.

:o

kaylee
02-07-2008, 02:53 PM
oh dear me can't open it either.

Deboogle!.
02-07-2008, 02:55 PM
oh :( hmm...

So it's Andy/Melzer first....

edit: I'm gonna upload the video somewhere :)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=05N90U68

kaylee
02-07-2008, 02:58 PM
darn it Deb you beat me too it. Here is the total line up......

Andy Roddick will begin the USA's defence of the Davis Cup by BNP Paribas, taking on Jurgen Melzer in the first singles rubber in Vienna on Friday.

Up second on the opening day for the titleholders is world No. 12 James Blake against world No. 55 Stefan Koubek.

The full schedule for the weekend is as follows:

Friday
Jurgen Melzer (AUT) v Andy Roddick (USA)
Stefan Koubek (AUT) v James Blake (USA)

Saturday
Julian Knowle/Jurgen Melzer(AUT) v Mike Bryan/
Bob Bryan (USA)

Sunday
Stefan Koubek (AUT) v Andy Roddick (USA)
Jurgen Melzer (AUT) v James Blake (USA)

Fumus
02-07-2008, 04:22 PM
darn it Deb you beat me too it. Here is the total line up......

Andy Roddick will begin the USA's defence of the Davis Cup by BNP Paribas, taking on Jurgen Melzer in the first singles rubber in Vienna on Friday.

Up second on the opening day for the titleholders is world No. 12 James Blake against world No. 55 Stefan Koubek.

The full schedule for the weekend is as follows:

Friday
Jurgen Melzer (AUT) v Andy Roddick (USA)
Stefan Koubek (AUT) v James Blake (USA)

Saturday
Julian Knowle/Jurgen Melzer(AUT) v Mike Bryan/
Bob Bryan (USA)

Sunday
Stefan Koubek (AUT) v Andy Roddick (USA)
Jurgen Melzer (AUT) v James Blake (USA)

:zzz::zzz:

Raina
02-07-2008, 04:53 PM
Andy Roddick plays Jurgen Melzer in Austria for opening round of Davis Cup

By ERIC WILLEMSEN, Associated Press Writer
February 7, 2008

VIENNA, Austria (AP) -- Andy Roddick will face Jurgen Melzer on Friday in the opening match when the United States defends its Davis Cup title against Austria on indoor clay.

James Blake and Stefan Koubek will play in the second match of the best-of-five series. The pairings were announced Thursday.

"I don't see it as an advantage nor as a disadvantage to start," said Roddick, who is 6-0 against Melzer and hasn't dropped a set against the Austrian.

Still, Melzer is glad to get out on the court first.

"I am pretty happy to be out there first as it gives me some more time to recover for the doubles on Saturday," said Melzer, who expects a loud home crowd of about 6,500 boisterous fans. "But the spectators alone won't win matches -- we have to be at our best."

In Saturday's doubles, top-ranked Bob and Mike Bryan will play Melzer and Julian Knowle. The reverse singles are scheduled for Sunday.

The United States won its record 32nd Davis Cup title in December. The Americans won both previous meetings against Austria, in 1990 and 2004.

Apart from substitute Werner Eschauer, all Austrian players are left-handed, and the Americans have been preparing for them. :eek:

"We brought in a couple of left-handed practice partners so we should be well-prepared for that," Roddick said, who is ranked No. 6.

United States captain Patrick McEnroe said he hoped the newly prepared clay court at the Ferry-Dusika Stadium would be settled by Friday.

"It always takes some time with a new court," McEnroe said. "The playing surface is OK now, but there are still some rough spots behind the baseline. I hope they'll fix that by tomorrow."

Austria team captain Gilbert Schaller said the series was significant for Austrian tennis.

"If we win, we will be heroes," Schaller said. "But even if we lose, this tie could give the tennis sport in Austria an enormous boost."

Austria hasn't won in the World Group since 1995.

tangerine_dream
02-07-2008, 04:54 PM
:zzz: is right. I wish we could see Russia-Serbia instead.

btw Andy Murray is a coward. Just wanted to let you all know that.

Tytta!.
02-07-2008, 04:58 PM
Lefties rule but they must lose. :angel: :p

kaylee
02-07-2008, 05:10 PM
Well since I can't seem to find interactive Versus channel anywhere it looks as though I will have to be glued to DC website and look at live scores. I tried seeing if I could watch Russia v Serbia on Eurosport but not so lucky on that either - I give up.

Tangerine I totally agree coward isn't strong enough a word for Andy Murray even his brother isn't proud of him.

tangerine_dream
02-07-2008, 05:53 PM
Tangerine I totally agree coward isn't strong enough a word for Andy Murray even his brother isn't proud of him.
I'm glad Jamie said something. Even if Andy is really injured it would have been great for his team's morale (and his own image) if he tagged along to offer moral support and be his team's cheerleader. He could have shown real leadership by doing that. The Brits will need any help they can get just to keep from getting skinned alive. It's very disappointing to see Andy wuss out like that, abandoning his team in one of the most hostile DC countries.

Raina
02-07-2008, 06:00 PM
HQ pics :)

Raina
02-07-2008, 06:01 PM
hair!!!:(

kaylee
02-07-2008, 06:33 PM
I agree Andy Murray obviously just couldn't be bothered just makes me totally pissed off. At this rate Andy M better stay Scottish and not play for GB - I bet if there were just a Scottish DC team he would be there grrrr.

Ooooo Raina hair where? The only hair you might see right now is on Andy's chest!! :haha:

Raina
02-07-2008, 06:49 PM
http://www.usta.com/news/fullstory.sps?inewsid=530019

Blog Entry #3 – Thursday, February 7

I’m not sure how you like to start your morning, but during my time here in Vienna, it’s all about the coffee. If you’re ever in Vienna, and you’re a java lover, you need to get yourself a cup of the traditional Viennese coffee. I’ve been getting an espresso with sweet whipped cream on top. You get a nice little glass of water with it and a perfect little stirring spoon.

I discovered a coffee shop just down the street from our team hotel a couple of days ago. I asked the concierge at the hotel where I could get a real traditional cup of coffee. They gave me a couple of options, but advised to me to go to the one where all of the locals go. They give you freshly-squeezed orange juice and a perfect little biscuit. What else can I say except that if you’re ever in Vienna, I highly recommend trying it. Besides, there’s plenty of Starbucks at home – it’s like having Pizza Hut when you’re in Rome.

Last night, there was a big soccer match in Vienna between Austria and Germany. It took place at the Ernst Happel Stadium which was also where the official Draw Ceremony was held today.

I can still remember the 1990 Davis Cup tie. The United States and Austria played an epic semifinal that was carried over to Monday because of rain. Michael Chang was two sets to one down and came back to give the Americans the victory.

The Austrians have been saying all week that this weekend’s tie will be the biggest Davis Cup event here since then. That’s the thing about being the U-S-A – everyone’s gunning for you. Now that we won the Davis Cup, it’s even more so. But we’re used to that.

Speaking of the draw, there weren’t many surprises, but it was nice to have Andy play first on Friday instead of sitting around all day. People might think that maybe Austria has a better chance to beat James on the first day, but I don’t really get caught up in that whole game. When you’re the captain and in every point, every match, you sort of look at each match as its own entity.

The guys were saying how funny it was that Andy keeps getting drawn as the first match – they thought it was something like six ties in a row, but remembering back, James played the first match last year in Winston-Salem, defeating Tommy Robredo of Spain. The way that I look at it, Andy really likes to play right away, and James sort of prefers to play later in the day, so it works out just fine for us.

Knowing that we were going to face two lefties in singles, I invited Jesse Levine as our practice partner. He’s been great all week, especially since our other practice partner has been a bit sick. Jesse’s been getting his money’s worth.

The short of it is that we’re well-prepared for this weekend. It’s always tough playing away on clay, but we’ve been able to win some of these matches in the past.

Winning the Cup was such a shared experience. While there’s always pressure to win when you go out and play for your country, I think it could help us in the long run because we can go out and know that we’ve done it before. I think this year the guys will be able to play with more fun – enjoy each match a little bit more. A lot has to break right and you need your best guys, but so far, we’ve enjoyed the ride. The biggest step was to get all of our guys back, which we’ve accomplished.

The night before a Davis Cup tie begins, I make sure that the guys get to bed early. But honestly, they’re such pros that they sort of know the routine of what they need to do. We try to get practice done relatively early the day before, so they can have the rest of the day to relax and gear up their mental energy. Andy often gets pretty wound up the night before, so we just try to keep him calm, because he gets so excited and nervous about playing. But it’s a good sort of nervous – definitely positive energy that the guys care. Overall, I just let the guys who are playing the next day do what they’re comfortable with doing to prepare themselves.

Tytta!.
02-07-2008, 06:56 PM
pics :)

http://www.usta.com/photogallery/default_detail.sps?assetid=580746
http://www.usta.com/photogallery/default_detail.sps?assetid=581185

kaylee
02-07-2008, 07:26 PM
hahaha in the second set of pictures both Andy and James look as though they have been speaking to their Mom's "Stand up straight with arms to your sides when you are having your picture taken"...........

kaylee
02-07-2008, 08:59 PM
wow those stats are pretty good!!!

Tytta!.
02-07-2008, 09:01 PM
:tape:

kaylee
02-07-2008, 09:12 PM
good idea.

snaillyyy
02-07-2008, 10:03 PM
How sad is it, that I forgot it was this weekend.:o:help:

Tytta!.
02-07-2008, 10:06 PM
QUEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN :worship:

Kate87
02-07-2008, 10:50 PM
:woohoo:Thanks for all the the pics, articles, blog.

the guys in their suits:hearts: (oh and Andy's hair isn't that short:D)

Deboogle!.
02-07-2008, 10:52 PM
PMac is dead on about Viennese coffee. a "melange" is like a cappuccino and the way they serve it is unreal. Definitely a great experience in Vienna, actually going to the coffee house and just sitting and reading the paper was probably one of my favorite things about the city :lol:
=======================
An interview with:

THE U.S.
DAVIS CUP TEAM

THE MODERATOR: Questions to the U.S. team, please.

Q. I guess the surprise is not very big. Can you give us your statement on your first match tomorrow.
ANDY RODDICK: I play Jurgen Melzer at 1:00.
How far are we ahead? It will be 7 a.m. at home.
I mean, I guess the only anticipation is, you know, players and order of play. Like you said, it's a little anti climactic sometimes. At least now we know what's ahead of us.

Q. You guys are more used to the clay court because I heard you were not too content to play on it?
ANDY RODDICK: Who did you hear that from?
Q. Someone who was at the court.
ANDY RODDICK: Well, someone doesn't know anything. :spit: :rolls: :haha:

Q. James, Andy, how have you fared against lefties? Do you enjoy playing them?
JAMES BLAKE: Yeah. Actually, I've have a pretty good record against lefties. I was thinking about it the other day and I can't remember the last lefty I lost to. I have a good record against (Rafael) Nadal, good record lately against (Stefan) Koubek, against (Jurgen) Melzer. I got wins over both of them last year, I think. (Jarkko) Nieminen, (Feliciano) López, (Fernando) Verdasco, I've had pretty good success.
Hopefully that fares well for tomorrow. But probably not too many of those have been on clay, so we'll see if that changes things. It will give me a little measure of confidence knowing that I've played well against lefties. A lot of people tend to struggle when it's something you're not used to playing.
ANDY RODDICK: I think I've done okay in my career. We've had a couple lefty practice partners (Jesse Levine and Ryler de Heart) here this week also so is not going to be some new and different ball coming at us.

Q. Bob and Mike, your thoughts on the doubles matchup? I think it was expected.
BOB BRYAN: Yeah, I think this is the best team they can put together. They played many matches before. We've played a lot of teams in Davis Cup where they're kind of just makeshift teams, and that plays out to our advantage. But this is a team that's established. I think, you know, it's going to be a tough test for us.
MIKE BRYAN: Yeah. I mean, Knowle is 6 in the world. We lost to him at the US Open. He's played us in big matches before. He's a lot better than when he played us at the Mohegan Sun?

Q. What do you remember of that match?
MIKE BRYAN: He's a great good returner. So he strikes them pretty clean. And, yeah, he played great. When he hits it well, it's pretty tough. He can serve well, too. And, yeah, does everything pretty well. We're going to have to come out there and play a good match and bring our good stuff.

Q. Patrick, I think you said you were waiting for the court to settle. Is it in good condition now?
CAPTAIN McENROE: Hopefully it has another 24 hours to settle a little more. It's okay. It's always difficult when you try to put down an indoor clay court. It's a little tricky.
But, you know, I think they're working hard on it. The playing surface inside the lines is pretty good. It's a little roughed up behind the baseline. But hopefully by tomorrow it will as good as it's going to be.
It's sort of out of our control, so we're not worrying about it too much. We're expecting a good atmosphere, a tough match. We're just looking forward to go out there and play and just play with a good attitude and play well.

FastScripts by ASAP Sports

Tytta!.
02-07-2008, 10:53 PM
Hi Debs.

Deboogle!.
02-07-2008, 10:58 PM
Hi Re.

snaillyyy
02-07-2008, 11:26 PM
QUEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN :worship:

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE:wavey::hug:

Tytta!.
02-07-2008, 11:55 PM
Hi Re.

Hi Debs.
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE:wavey::hug:

Hi Queennnnnnnnnnnn

laure xxx
02-08-2008, 02:21 AM
Hate to be pessimistic, but Austria could totally win this. If Melzer manages to beat Andy, Koubek could beat James, and the Bryans just don't seem as invincible as they once were. :shrug:

Deboogle!.
02-08-2008, 05:00 AM
Of course they could. But let's hope they don't. :shrug:

GollyLou
02-08-2008, 07:24 AM
:banana: :banana: I found out my seats are right behind the players box. :D I really want to know where PMac went for his coffee, we have only managed to find a Starbucks so far. (Although, Starbucks. :hearts:) And they do not serve freshly squeezed orange juice. :(

Austria could totally win this but I am hoping that Andy plays DC-well, and not like he did at the AO.

Sky decided to show Russia-Serbia at home. Which is :(

Tytta!.
02-08-2008, 11:39 AM
Hollyyyyyyyyyy :hug:

TwistedDesire.
02-08-2008, 12:29 PM
Andy better be happy I woke up for him and win this to show how much he appreciates

Good luck USA :)

Deboogle!.
02-08-2008, 03:10 PM
i'll start with some pics and someone else can post the rest and the news etc :)

Tytta!.
02-08-2008, 03:11 PM
Obrigada, sister. :)

Deboogle!.
02-08-2008, 03:13 PM
Holly, for a coffee house, check near St. Stephan's Cathedral. There are several right around in that area.... maybe ask the people in your hotel? You cannot leave Vienna without going to a real Viennese coffeehouse, it would be a real shame :awww:

Tytta!.
02-08-2008, 03:13 PM
:fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery:

Kate87
02-08-2008, 03:15 PM
:fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery:

*coughs* other thread;):angel:

so Holly I didn't know that you are going to be there. Will you be there tomorrow, too?:D

Tytta!.
02-08-2008, 03:17 PM
deb's being mean to me today

kaylee
02-08-2008, 03:30 PM
awwwww Re why?????????

Tytta!.
02-08-2008, 03:31 PM
:sad:

kaylee
02-08-2008, 04:20 PM
:hug::hug::hug:

Kate87
02-08-2008, 05:14 PM
James up a break in the first set:banana:
hold (:D) James!

kaylee
02-08-2008, 05:22 PM
yayyyyyyyyyyy1 darn it and I can't watch the match my computer seems to have given up on versus channel bah!!

Kate87
02-08-2008, 05:47 PM
oh James:o

tangerine_dream
02-08-2008, 05:50 PM
GWH is all pissed off in GM Andy must have done something good.

Tytta!.
02-08-2008, 05:53 PM
So? :confused:

Who cares? :p Andy won and that's what matters. :)

Winston's Human
02-08-2008, 05:55 PM
I see James is folding like a house of cards.

I guess it will again fall on Andy to prevail on Sunday.

tangerine_dream
02-08-2008, 06:08 PM
It would be a miracle if James won this.

kaylee
02-08-2008, 06:11 PM
oh dear yes I agree sigh well rock on Bryans!!!!!

snaillyyy
02-08-2008, 06:20 PM
Glad I came home to see that Andy won :)

Deb, Thanks for the pics :) He looks really tired :awww:

Tytta!.
02-08-2008, 06:24 PM
Queen's back!!

snaillyyy
02-08-2008, 06:31 PM
:lol: For a little while yes.

tangerine_dream
02-08-2008, 06:35 PM
Watching the scoreboard I can't help but admire the fight James must have showed in that last game to break. :eek: Can he hold now?

*edit*

Yes yes! James takes the second set 7-5 :woohoo:

kaylee
02-08-2008, 06:46 PM
whoooo hoooo and he broke at the start of the third GOOOOOOOOOOOO JAMESSSSSSSSS!

Kate87
02-08-2008, 07:35 PM
James:rocker2:

DAVIS CUP FIRST ROUND: AUSTRIA v USA

February 8, 2008

Andy Roddick

VIENNA, AUSTRIA

THE MODERATOR: Questions.

Q. You expected a tough one and you got it. What's your opinion on that match? How happy are you made it in five sets?
ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, a little bit. I think I think it's only natural. I tried telling you guys all week that it's to be a tough match and that the conditions probably were more favorable for him than they've been in our previous matches. I think the crowd support helped him. I thought he played pretty well.
But I'm happy to have gotten a win for our team.

Q. Do you feel like you're (indiscernible) on the court as much as you were fighting against Melzer?
ANDY RODDICK: No, you know, I thought Jurgen played well. Bottom line: The court was terrible, but it was terrible on both sides.

Q. Do you think he returned extra special just because?
ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, he returned well.

Q. Did you expect him to return that well? Was it kind of frustrating that he returned that well to your service?
ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, obviously it's frustrating when someone returns your serve well. You know, I don't know if I expected it. I think it's by far the most times I've ever been broken against him.
Clay slows down the serve. You can't get the spins that you want on it. He was taking it early and he definitely was making his presence felt on the returns.

Q. As defending champs, do you feel like you're playing with more pressure? Less pressure? The same?
ANDY RODDICK: I don't know.

Q. Something that you think about out there?
ANDY RODDICK: Haven't really thought about it. Probably a little bit less. We've kind of accomplished our goal. But I don't know if that makes us any less hungry, just a little less nervous before the matches.

Q. After you lost the tiebreak and then Jurgen got the break and was 40-15 up you really raised your game. You changed your tactics to be more aggressive. Was that the key to the win?
ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, could have been. He was getting -- playing too well for me to stay back. He wasn't going to miss shots, so I had to try to switch it up a little bit. Fortunately it worked.

Q. You've played a couple of these tough five-set matches in Davis Cup. Including notably Belgium. Do you take that kind of experience into a match like this?
ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, but, you know, I think -- I honestly think that too much gets made of fifth-set experience. If someone's riding a hot racquet, I'd much rather feel like I'm the hot player than the experienced one in the middle of a fifth set.
I guess there's a certain sense of calm knowing that you've been through that before.

Q. Was that the worst court you've played on in Davis Cup?
ANDY RODDICK: What?

Q. Was that the worst court?
ANDY RODDICK: Absolutely.

Q. Serious question: Do you think the ITF should have standards?
ANDY RODDICK: Well, they do. The court is supposed to be done by Monday and they got granted special permission somehow to have it done Tuesday.
So to have a temporary clay court put down Tuesday and get three days of practice in on it, you know, it's rough to have it be okay in, you know, three days after laying it down.
I'm not sure why they were granted special permission. I don't know if there was something here Sunday night. I heard the last event here was last Wednesday.
I don't know. I tried asking the referee here and he said, I don't know. So I asked, If you don't know, who should I ask next?

Q. (No microphone.)
ANDY RODDICK: When was it finished? Last week. Well, they had a court done a week later.

Q. No, no. They started just five days. Wednesday morning at 6:00 a.m. trucks came in.
ANDY RODDICK: All right. You have five days. I mean...

Q. At a pretty young age you've played the second most matches now in U.S. Davis Cup history. Is that kind of mind boggling that you would reach that number?
ANDY RODDICK: Yeah. I mean, Patrick showed some faith in me early on and let me play my way into being an okay Davis Cup player. Without his faith and giving me the chance to go out and play we wouldn't be saying that.
I kind of look at the individual record books of the States and see that I'm slowly kind of creeping up and I'm 25 is -- it's nice. It's something that I enjoy.

Q. If you look on your next singles match, do you expect kind of the same game now or do you think it's going to be completely different?
ANDY RODDICK: There probably going to be some similarities, but it's going to be different. I think Koubek plays a little bit more spin goes for broke a little bit more from the baseline.
Melzer can maybe play some dropshots and come into the net and play some volleys. So similar in the fact that they're both lefties and can kind of get the that lefty spin on the ball, but the intricacies of the game are a bit different.

Q. Did you have time to speak to James in between matches sort of and warn him what to expect out there?
ANDY RODDICK: Well, I think he knows what to expect. You know, I don't think we're going three days in practice and all of a sudden fooling ourselves into thinking everything is going to be perfect today.
I'm sure he was watching the match and I'm sure he saw the ball hit and roll a couple of times. I don't know if I really needed to say anything to him. He's a smart guy.

Q. How do you feel about dropshots?
ANDY RODDICK: I just wish I could hit one.

Q. Koubek played a couple of tough matches at the Australian Open. Do you expect coming a tougher match on Sunday?
ANDY RODDICK: Yeah. I mean, I have a lot of respect for Stefan. He's certainly not scared to play long matches. You know, it's going to be another battle.

Justin's column from SI.com
Refill this Cup
Dilemma shows inherent flaws with great tournament
Posted: Friday February 8, 2008 10:35AM; Updated: Friday February 8, 2008 11:14AM

No, your TV isn't broken. Unless you're tuned into ESPN Classic, the tennis you see in front of you isn't a replay of the U.S. clinching the 2007 Davis Cup -- it's actually already the first match of the '08 Davis Cup.

It's hard to believe, but a mere 10 weeks after their heroic victory against Russia, the American boys are in Austria, playing on their arch-nemesis: slippery red clay.

But what's more amazing -- or impressive, depending on where you stand on the controversial Davis Cup scheduling -- is that Team USA rallied around the challenging circumstances and fielded its A-team in Vienna.

While Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, David Ferrer and Andy Murray took a pass on the physically and emotionally taxing competition, Andy Roddick, James Blake and Bob and Mike Bryan are all ready to lay it on the line to defend their hard-earned title.

They certainly weren't pumped about flying across the Atlantic to play on a surface that, as Roddick told me, "makes huge holes when you slide." But, he was quick to add, "This is going to be how it is -- we know it isn't going to be easy, but we're a team, and we're going to fight to defend what we worked so hard to win."

Keep that in mind as you keep reading about other top players begging off. As Team USA captain Patrick McEnroe told me, "The main story going around this week is about the top players not playing Davis Cup. Well, guess what? Despite winning it all of 10 weeks ago, all of our guys are doing it again. Who else can say that?"

Although I understand the challenges that arise from an overloaded ATP Tour calendar, I'm still repeatedly disappointed that Davis Cup is often sacrificed. The rigors of the ATP schedule are well-noted, and when I was on the ATP Player Council, creating a more harmonious schedule with the ITF (which controls Davis Cup competition) was always on the top of the agenda.

Sadly, the ITF is unwilling to make seemingly obvious adjustments. The Davis Cup should use the Ryder Cup as its model. Golf's international team tournament is played every two years in order to help guarantee maximum participation and build momentum for the prestigious event.

The Davis Cup should be celebrated and revered. It's the largest annual team competition in sports, with 127 nations competing this year. However, because of a confusing format where winning teams are capable of being dethroned only 10 weeks after their coronation, it minimizes the allure.

Paul Annacone, men's head coach of the Lawn Tennis Association, agrees that the ITF needs to recognize how much tennis is losing by not making the necessary adjustments.

"It's a shame when an event with the historical magnitude of Davis Cup has been relegated to a value far below its worth due to an antiquated format and an unwillingness to adapt and adjust with the times," he says. "Instead, it confuses non-tennis sports fans and is merely an afterthought on the global stage of sports. As a result, a number of the top players in our sport continue to skip Davis Cup, which should send a message that something needs to be addressed."

From the ITF's perspective, it's the priority, and the ATP calendar isn't. The ITP runs the Grand Slams and Davis Cup, and as far as it's concerned, those are the marquee events. The ITF also says it feels a responsibility to smaller nations whose primary source of funding is from Davis Cup -- countries like Israel, Sweden and Zimbabwe, which don't have built-in money makers like Slams or Masters Events.

Be that as it may, what would people think if the New York Giants had to start defending their Super Bowl title in mid-April on the road in Green Bay? Or if the Boston Red Sox had to defend their World Series crown in a seven-game series with the Mets that began just after New Year's Day? It makes no sense.

Teams, players and fans need and deserve the chance to savor their victories and regroup for the next season. Tennis players are no different.

I have no doubt Team USA will put in a great effort this weekend in Austria, but they shouldn't have to. It's time the ITF woke up.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/justin_gimelstob/02/07/davis.cup/index.html

snaillyyy
02-08-2008, 07:46 PM
Thanks Kate :D :kiss:
Come on James!

kaylee
02-08-2008, 07:48 PM
good article from Justin. Goooooo James.

tangerine_dream
02-08-2008, 07:49 PM
It would be a miracle if James won this.
A miracle is in the making. James is about to win his first DC away match on clay. *is stunned* :eek:

snaillyyy
02-08-2008, 07:59 PM
:eek: fights back for a 2nd time in as many DC matches *falls off chair*

tangerine_dream
02-08-2008, 08:13 PM
I know, right? :eek: I'm in shock. Is this a new and improved James Blake we are witnessing? A guy who actually fights back? No more weakest link? I would say that James' win is far more impressive than Andy's over Melzer. Seriously, I'm floored. I really thought he would lose, especially after dropping the first set.

blosson
02-08-2008, 08:22 PM
Well done to the boys for proving they are superior players even on very slow clay. :yeah:

kaylee
02-08-2008, 08:29 PM
I agree whoooo hooooo James. I know Andy had us worried but we kinda expected him to win but James!!!!!! This is fantastic whooo hoooooo.

Winston's Human
02-08-2008, 09:41 PM
Wow!!!

James came back and took it -- on the road and on clay!!!

OnyxRose
02-08-2008, 09:43 PM
Yay James!!!!!! Now, Bryans, come on and put the fork in it!

GollyLou
02-08-2008, 10:14 PM
Hollyyyyyyyyyy :hug:

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :hug:

so Holly I didn't know that you are going to be there. Will you be there tomorrow, too?:D

I am here all weekend. :D DC rules! :rocker2: I just looked at the pictures and I am not in any of them which also rules. (I hate photos.)

Andy was so pissy about everything, it was funny at first and when he kept playing like shit because of it, it was less funny. However, the court was just so bad. :o I have never seen a court that actually rubs away when people slide on it before. Even Russia in 2006 wasn't that bad. It's just not even made well. And then some of the Austrian crowd booed them because they complained about it!

The crazy Austrian fans were so much fun! They invited us out with them. One of them was obsessed with getting a picture of Thomas Blake. I have no idea why.

Kate87
02-08-2008, 10:23 PM
I am here all weekend. :D DC rules! :rocker2:
I asked it because maybe tomorrow I'll be there, too:D(If there will be tickets left:unsure:)

PMac:banana:

ENTRY #4 – Friday, February 8

Today was a very satisfying day. To win both matches was a great performance by our guys. Mentally, it was a strong test for us and I thought that both guys passed. Physically, Andy and James were able to handle a couple of tough, long matches. Especially Andy – he should have closed out the match in four sets, but he battled back. Overall, it was a heck of an effort from both guys.

I never try to predict what’s going to happen in a Davis Cup tie. I always say that you have to take one point at a time and one match at a time, and try to get our guys to play well.

James got down and was in real trouble. He was almost down two sets to love. But he kept going for his shots and kept a great attitude mentally and I think that was a key for him. Once he got on a roll, he was able to dominate the last couple of sets.

A lot was made of the clay court today, but for me, it was more about the condition of the clay. We didn’t like the holes out there; someone could have gotten hurt. We understand that when we leave the U.S.A., other teams are going to pick clay, but honestly, there were bad bounces for both sides. The grounds crew did the best they could to make sure that it didn’t get too bad, which made it playable.

We hope to take care of business tomorrow. Obviously, having the Bryan brothers coming out is a good position for us to be in, but we’re expecting a tough doubles match. We certainly wouldn’t mind it if Jurgen Melzer, who played a long five-set match with Roddick today, was a little bit tired on Saturday. But he played great today, has excellent experience as a doubles player and has a really great partner. I’m sure they’ll play well, so the boys will have to bring out their best stuff.

It’s great to see the guys playing so well on clay once again. I’m not sure that host nations will stop choosing clay when they play us, but I think we’ve made some strides. The way that we’ve been able to handle the tough conditions and the crowd – everything that comes with playing an away match – is impressive. All of our guys have gained in maturity and I think that’s been a big key for us.

Talking about Andy for a moment, I thought today was one of his biggest wins in Davis Cup, which says a lot. I was really proud of his effort, because physically, it was an incredibly demanding match. To lose the fourth set in a tie-break and then come back the way he did after Melzer was playing lights-out, was impressive. He weathered the storm and started to play more aggressively toward the end of the match, which helped him a lot.

I’m headed back to the hotel now, and with any luck, the Bryans are already fast asleep. They’re going to be so excited for tomorrow, and with the chance to close it out, even more so. Without a doubt, they’ll be ready to go.

acoffeygirl
02-08-2008, 10:59 PM
So...has anyone seen any of Andy's match?

snaillyyy
02-09-2008, 12:38 AM
Some of it Amber, don't watch if you are wanting to feel all warm and fuzzy ;)

Deboogle!.
02-09-2008, 01:48 AM
2nd point of the match Melzer is controlling play, Andy's 10 feet back....... glad to hear he learned nothing from his AO loss :)

williaer
02-09-2008, 02:06 AM
Wow that quote in your signature is really depressing, Deb. It's actually gotten to the stage where Andy playing aggressively is a surprise. :(

Deboogle!.
02-09-2008, 02:15 AM
Exactly.

:sobbing:

So now we know, he has to be down a break in the fifth set and in Davis Cup before he plays like Andy Roddick :sobbing:

acoffeygirl
02-09-2008, 03:33 AM
Some of it Amber, don't watch if you are wanting to feel all warm and fuzzy ;)
I can't watch it....no cable, so I guess I'm safe. I was just wondering because I hadn't really heard any reports of his actual play. LOL

Deboogle!.
02-09-2008, 03:37 AM
after watching the first set and a half before my mom called, I'd say it's the same old same old.

GollyLou
02-09-2008, 06:45 AM
after watching the first set and a half before my mom called, I'd say it's the same old same old.

*agrees* There is one point where he is standing so far back to return serve he blends in with the line judges. He placed some great points over the course of the match but mostly it was horrible.

Tytta!.
02-09-2008, 12:14 PM

*agrees* There is one point where he is standing so far back to return serve he blends in with the line judges. He placed some great points over the course of the match but mostly it was horrible.

Same old same old :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

snaillyyy
02-09-2008, 01:36 PM
If he were to play anything but the same old way, the shock would be too much to handle :o ;)

Tytta!.
02-09-2008, 01:38 PM
Queen :smooch:

snaillyyy
02-09-2008, 01:54 PM
:kiss: off too work, talk to you later:) Go BRYANS

Tytta!.
02-09-2008, 01:55 PM
Ok :sad: Vamos twins!

Tytta!.
02-09-2008, 02:48 PM
61 64 62 :yawn: :banana: :banana: 3-0 :banana: :banana: :banana:

Deboogle!.
02-09-2008, 03:06 PM
Bob and Mike! :banana: USA :banana: :dance:

I finally finished the match before going to bed...... that fifth set was the Andy Roddick we know is hiding inside him. Return winners, good volleys, good approaches :eek: Where it is the other 99.9% of sets he plays............

Tytta!.
02-09-2008, 03:10 PM

Raina
02-09-2008, 03:22 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=reu-davisaustria_pix&prov=reuters&type=lgns

It also ensured that Roddick will probably avoid a court he detests and the chance to rest an injured right knee on Sunday while the dead two final singles rubbers are contested.

Andy got injury???

Tytta!.
02-09-2008, 03:25 PM
:sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing:

Deboogle!.
02-09-2008, 03:27 PM
Ummmmmmm.... :scratch: Well he wasn't seen by the trainer, didn't have it wrapped or anything and was moving fine.... He does have problems with tendinitis in one of his knees fairly regularly but usually only when he plays a lot, and we know he hasn't played a lot lately..... no idea :shrug: and I fully expected Mike will play tomorrow anyway. :lol:

Tytta!.
02-09-2008, 03:29 PM
He just wants to let Mike play. ;)

Raina
02-09-2008, 03:34 PM
So I assume the injury is not serious, but anyway it is the best decision to avoid to play on this terrible and protentially dangerous surface!! :scared: :sobbing:

If it is Bob tomorrow, then I will be a bit surprised and also it is very unfair, and Bob is so poor!! :sobbing::p

Tytta!.
02-09-2008, 03:35 PM
It's Mike, haha. :p

Deboogle!.
02-09-2008, 03:45 PM
Based on their deal after the final, Mike has to play at least the next one :lol:

some more pics from Andy's match :)

Deboogle!.
02-09-2008, 03:48 PM
And the celebration continues.... why Andy isn't wearing the team suit..... no comment.....

will edit more in here when they come out :)

Tytta!.
02-09-2008, 03:49 PM
Obrigada sister :D

blosson
02-09-2008, 04:03 PM
This one was quite easy. Who's next for USA?

Andy looks cute with the short blond hair.

Deboogle!.
02-09-2008, 04:09 PM
Most likely France at home in Winston-Salem :) Will actually be a really tough tie since the French guys are all good on indoor surfaces too

tangerine_dream
02-09-2008, 04:25 PM
It's amazing nobody got killed playing on that surface.

*edit*

Adding screencap of crater court.

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/6365/craterhy4.jpg

More photos of the court here. (http://globoesporte.globo.com/ESP/Noticia/Tenis/0,,MUL292417-4434,00.html)

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=tennis&id=3237235
Terrible clay court fails to stall U.S.
February 8, 2008

VIENNA, Feb 8 - Davis Cup holders the United States looked in danger of stalling on a hastily-laid indoor Austrian clay court described by Andy Roddick as "terrible" before hauling themselves out of trouble on Friday.

World number six Roddick grumbled his way through a testing five-setter 6-4 4-6 6-3 6-7 6-3 against Juergen Melzer in the opening rubber to get the holders off to a winning, if faltering, start to their title defence.

James Blake looked to have an even tougher task against Austrian number one Stefan Koubek, especially after losing the first set, but conjured up some sublime tennis to eventually come through 5-7 7-5 6-2 6-2.

That left the holders looking comfortable with a 2-0 lead after day one of their first-round World Group tie on a court that repeatedly levelled the gap in talent with a string of comically poor bounces.

The top-ranked Bryan brothers are heavily favoured to make their class count on Saturday in the doubles to complete the job for a team that won the first Davis Cup title for the U.S. in 12 years with a 4-1 final victory over Russia in December.

In all, the U.S. have a record 32 Davis Cup titles.

Roddick has been questioning the quality of the court all week and his tight victory over Melzer in four hours six minutes did not improve his opinion.

'THE WORST'

"It was terrible but at least it was terrible for both sides," Roddick told a news conference. "Is it the worst I've played in the Davis Cup? Absolutely."

The court was only put in place at the start of this week and Roddick believes that did not give the Americans enough time to get used to it.

"I'm not sure why they were granted special permission by the ITF (International Tennis Federation) to do this. I tried asking the referee and didn't get an answer. I don't know who I should ask next."

The 57th-ranked Melzer had not previously won a set against the American in six attempts but a break at the start of the fifth left him briefly with a glimpse of probably the biggest win of his career.

Roddick, though, had an extra gear and his heavier weight of shot plus a howitzer serve -- he hit 21 aces to Melzer's seven -- eventually steered him to victory.

World number 12 Blake took time to find his feet and early on looked in serious trouble against Koubek, who is ranked 43 places behind him and is in the twilight of his career at 31 years old.

The American, however, slowly but surely imposed his will with superior consistency and some improbable winners on the run.

Deboogle!.
02-09-2008, 04:34 PM
Yes, yes it is.

GollyLou
02-09-2008, 04:41 PM
Andy looks like a fan rather than part of the team in those pictures. :rolls: He was wearing the outfit and after the opening ceremony went BACK and get changed. Oh Andy.

He twisted his knee out twice yesterday, I think in the third set, it didn't look too bad while he was playing but he was limping around today. Mike also poked his back as he was waiting around at the end and he was wincing in pain from it. :/

Um... twins RULE. I have a photo with Bob!!!! That pretty much made my day.

Tytta!.
02-09-2008, 04:43 PM
YOU HAVE A PIC WITH BOB I AM SO JEALOUS dckjsfkjfdkjgjdgjkdfg :sobbing: :ras:

Deboogle!.
02-09-2008, 04:44 PM
Andy looks like a fan rather than part of the team in those pictures. :rolls: He was wearing the outfit and after the opening ceremony went BACK and get changed. Oh Andy.

He twisted his knee out twice yesterday, I think in the third set, it didn't look too bad while he was playing but he was limping around today. Mike also poked his back as he was waiting around at the end and he was wincing in pain from it. :/

Um... twins RULE. I have a photo with Bob!!!! That pretty much made my day.oy :awww: Thanks for the info. At least he has a week off and doesn't play tomorrow. Luckily this year for whatever reason San Jose is a week later. hopefully that's enough time to heal and hopefully it's just from his long match :o

Have you found a coffeehouse? YOU MUST before you leave :p

GollyLou
02-09-2008, 04:50 PM
I forgot San Jose was a week later. At least that's good for Andy. Twisting his knee did not look fun. :(

I HAVE NOT YET FOUND A COFFEEHOUSE. I will find one though.

Deboogle!.
02-09-2008, 05:04 PM
Pffff you are 5 min walking away from like 5 big famous coffee houses. We will rectify this ASAP ;)

I really hope he's ok :awww:

kaylee
02-09-2008, 05:23 PM
well these forums always make me smile which is why I love coming here. We can all be critical and not get yelled at for it not like some other websites (erhmm I think you know which one I am referring to). I guess a win is a win, I am behind so am just watching the Bryans play now. I wonder if Andy could have a week with them they could teach him how to play on clay. :haha:

Raina
02-09-2008, 06:23 PM
Thanks for your info Holly!
Poor Andy! :sad: 
I hope he's OK!!

Deboogle!.
02-09-2008, 06:37 PM
according to the article at the USTA site James is having problems with his back...... so BOTH twins might play tomorrow :lol:

kaylee
02-09-2008, 06:40 PM
ooooo now that would be exciting!!!!!