Racquet Grip Size... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Racquet Grip Size...

Emil22
09-26-2007, 08:24 PM
Hello all. Just a simple question.
I went to the store today to buy my racquet, and I always used grip size number 3.
And, in the store, there was only size 2.
I bought it though, cause if I put a bigger base grip, and usual grip, it will be just like size 3.
Am I right?

Thanks

-Emil

trixtah
09-26-2007, 09:18 PM
What type of base grip are you replacing it with?

European size 2 - (4 1/4) and 3 is (4 3/8) correct?

I'd never recommend going larger but going smaller is fine. Replacement grips vary in thickness and most overgrips are abooout 1/16th inch thick which is a little more or less than 1/2 a size depending on how you stretch it when applying (eh, to my knowledge at least). The only concern you might have is that different grip sizes can slightly alter the balance and swingweight of your racket and for some, smaller grips cause them to spin the ball more. Apart from that, I think it's fine. Unless it's significantly cheaper at that store, you might consider returning it and finding the same grip size elsewhere, though.

Edit: Ok, I just found the tennis-warehouse "Increasing Grip Size" page that might help you out a bit

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Features/increasegripsize/increasegrip.html

Emil22
09-26-2007, 09:22 PM
Grip size is 2, yeah.
I was thinking if I add a bigger base grip + standard overgrip, would it be as big as size 3?

-Emil

scarecrows
09-26-2007, 09:24 PM
put a cover grip and you'll be fine

just my curiosity, couldnt you wait till they had size 3 or buy it in another shop?
you know, buying a racket it's not like buying bread in a supermarket, you need to get what is best for you

Emil22
09-26-2007, 09:30 PM
I guess I could...
Dont know why I did it...
I will ask him if I can replace maybe...
If not, I just read the article on tennis warehouse about increasing, so if I add a bonus grip it should be the same :).

-Emil