Last Movie you watched, and what you thought about it? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Last Movie you watched, and what you thought about it?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

aura of moya
08-21-2002, 12:50 PM
Hi guys,
I thought, everyone likes movies, so I was bored and thought I'd put this thread together.

I watched The Sign on Sunday with Mel Gibson and Joaquin Phoenix in it.
It is director by M. Night Shyamalan, who directered Sixth Sense and Unbreakable.
The film was very interesting, but quite unexpected.
I wont talk about the ending, cause his films have very interesting ones, and this is no exception.
---------------------------
Rating ***1/2 (of 5)

On Monday night, while at work, I watched The Royal Tenenbaums.
This was quite a dark comedy with heaps of great actors in it.
It was a good film, but to be honest, it never really reached the high expectation in which a cast including Gene Hackman, Bill Murray, Ben Stiller and Gwenlyn Paltrow (just to name a few) would warrant from it.
Rating *** (of 5)

Simon V

Leo7
08-21-2002, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by aura of moya
Hi guys,
I thought, everyone likes movies, so I was bored and thought I'd put this thread together.

I watched The Sign on Sunday with Mel Gibson and Joaquin Phoenix in it.
It is director by M. Night Shyamalan, who directered Sixth Sense and Unbreakable.
The film was very interesting, but quite unexpected.
I wont talk about the ending, cause his films have very interesting ones, and this is no exception.
Rating ***1/2 (of 5)

On Monday night, while at work, I watched The Royal Tenenbaums.
This was quite a dark comedy with heaps of great actors in it.
It was a good film, but to be honest, it never really reached the high expectation in which a cast including Gene Hackman, Bill Murray, Ben Stiller and Gwenlyn Paltrow (just to name a few) would warrant from it.
Rating *** (of 5)

Simon V

oh i saw The Royal Tenebaums! kinda funny, kinda not. the whole suicide part was :fiery: ! so i will give it 3 starts out of 5!

okay...

last movie i saw in theaters:
MIB2

nothing like the original movie. IMO, this sequel fell short, as most sequels do. i DON'T recommend it, it wasn't funny! 1 star out of 5!:(

last movie i saw:
Lord of the Rings

well i just bought this movie on DVD and i've already seen it 5 times!:D :angel: J'adore Cate Blanchett!:hearts: 5 starts out of 5! :D

aura of moya
08-21-2002, 01:17 PM
Hi Leo,

I was shocked at the suicide part to. Being a tennis player, it hit home a bit. :sad:
Funny how he was a Borg look a like tho. :p

I fell asleep during MIB2, and thought it was me being tired, but it must have been the movie. Pity, the original was cool.

And Happy Birthday buddy........:) :bounce:
Make sure you enjoy yourself.

Simon V

Layla
08-21-2002, 01:26 PM
You won't believe this but I was just thinking of starting a thread with the very same title, Simon!!!!! :eek: :D

5 stars for Lord of the Rings, absolutely. I also read the book 3 times. :o I agree, Cate Blanchett was phenomenal, just perfect for that part. So beautiful and yet so scary. I got goose bumps. But maybe that's not what you meant. :angel:

The last movie I saw was Bandits and it was a complete waste of my time. I went to see it becaue I've never seen a bad movie with Billie Bob Thornton in it... until now! :rolleyes: I have seen terrible movies with Bruce Willis, so maybe I should've known better. The movie was trying so hard to be funny but it only succeeded in being dreadfully dull.
Rating **

But the one before that was a different story. Memento is certainly one of the movies I've seen in the last few years. It's highly original, has a perfect structure, it makes you think and Guy Pierce has once again proven that he's a great actor. I expect great things from Christopher Nolan, the director.
Rating ****1/2

aura of moya
08-21-2002, 01:41 PM
Hi Layla,
wow, maybe it was fate huh..........soul mates or something :)

Geee, I kinda feel left out........I haven't seen Lord of the Rings, and haven't really planned to, but now I've recieved another two great reviews, I may have too.

Memento is definitely the most unique film of the last few years, and it succeeds in being brilliant.
Why else would I be downloading a 700mb version off the net :eek:
Guy Pearce is definitely the underrated aussie actor......Russell Crowe the glory hog :p

Simon V :wavey:

Layla
08-21-2002, 01:47 PM
Hi soul mate! :wavey:

I have to warn you though. Now you'll never get me off this thread. I'll post here all the time. Once I start talking about movies, you can't shut me up. :rolleyes: :)

But we are about 3 months behind the USA or GB or Australia in terms of what movies we get.

ILR
08-21-2002, 01:48 PM
Hmm no 1 recommens MIB2? Was thinkin of goin 2 c that!Prob the last film I saw was What women want on DVD.Its was quite good! :D I wish I knew what all men were thinkin! ;)

Leo7
08-21-2002, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by aura of moya
Hi Leo,

I was shocked at the suicide part to. Being a tennis player, it hit home a bit. :sad:
Funny how he was a Borg look a like tho. :p

yeah, he always wore that damn headband, even when he wasn't playing tennis!lol! but i felt sorry for him when he lost that match 6-0, 6-0, 6-0!:(

and how sick was it that he was in love with his sister?! she was adopted, but still very WRONG!

Leo7
08-21-2002, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by IluvRogi
Hmm no 1 recommens MIB2? Was thinkin of goin 2 c that!Prob the last film I saw was What women want on DVD.Its was quite good! :D I wish I knew what all men were thinkin! ;)

another Mel Gibson fan, just like Simon!

i saw this movie too. it was actually pretty funny, and i always enjoy Helen Hunt movies.

Leo7
08-21-2002, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Leo7

another Mel Gibson fan, just like Simon!

i saw this movie too. it was actually pretty funny, and i always enjoy Helen Hunt movies.

all Helen Hunt movies EXCEPT for Pay It Forward! hated that movie! so cheesy!:p

Layla
Prob the last film I saw was What women want on DVD.Its was quite good! :D I wish I knew what all men were thinkin! ;)

Are you sure? :p

ILR
Hmm any of u seen Road Trip?

aura of moya
That was funny when he just sat down on the court......and kinda gave in.
He was cool when he was young, but I think he lost the plot wearing the headband around the streets when he was like in his 20's.......hehehe.

ILR
08-21-2002, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Layla

Are you sure? :p

Erm on second thoughts,not everything,just what they thought about me! ;)

Layla
08-21-2002, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Leo7

all Helen Hunt movies EXCEPT for Pay It Forward! hated that movie! so cheesy!:p

Pay It Forward was disgusting. And I'm a HUGE Kevin Spacey fan. It was so bad it was painful. :eek:

aura of moya
08-21-2002, 01:58 PM
Layla, I'm glad you like the thread.
At least I'll no where you are if I cant find you......hehehe.

hehehe........also, what do you think I'm thinking right now?

actually.......it's time for bed, so I'm thinking of sleep........but I could be thinking of something else.
Could be about watching The Man Who Wasn't There or something totally different :p

And no, I don't know what women want........unfortunately, but I succeeded in making this thread, thats a start :)

Simon V :wavey:

Leo7
08-21-2002, 02:12 PM

Pay It Forward was disgusting. And I'm a HUGE Kevin Spacey fan. It was so bad it was painful. :eek:

i'm glad i wasn't the only one who thought it was horrible!:)

who has seen Double Jeopardy with Ashley Judd and Tommy Lee Jones?! i love that movie!:D

i've seen Road Trip before, IluvRogi! although i think Tom Green is a babbling idiot, i was ROTFLMFAO the tnire movie!

ILR
08-21-2002, 02:14 PM
Yeah it was funny!I loved the skinny dude (god whats his name?!?!?!!?)Hes on Britneys vid aswell

Leo7
08-21-2002, 02:19 PM
Yeah it was funny!I loved the skinny dude (god whats his name?!?!?!!?)Hes on Britneys vid aswell

i love that guy too! but i don't know his name!:confused:

ILR
08-21-2002, 02:19 PM
Can anyone help out plz?Its very frustrating! :D

aura of moya
08-21-2002, 02:24 PM
DJ Qualls.........he's in a film called the New Guy ;)

ILR
08-21-2002, 02:25 PM
Ah thanx!It was really annoying me! :kiss:

Angele
08-21-2002, 02:55 PM
Can't even remember the last film I saw in the theatre :o So here are just some I've seen recently :)

A Walk to Remember

:hearts: :hearts: Probably the best movie I've ever seen in my life!! It's so good! I cried for about the last hour of the movie but it was awesome! Before I watched it I wasn't so sure it was going to be great cuz I knew what the story was about but the way it's written is wonderful and the ending was just perfect :angel: 5 stars!!

The Piano Man's Daughter

It was good, but not great! I thought the way they went back in time was confusing a little bit but overall it was a good movie! I would of like to know a little more about all the not so important characters in the story. Also it's a very, er, deep movie and I think there are a few parts that I didn't totally grasp. 4 stars!

Goonergal
08-21-2002, 03:07 PM
Minority Report :D Great Storyline and effects/graphics I thought the storyline would be more difficult to grasp but it wasn't.

ILR
08-21-2002, 03:12 PM
Ooo so u recommend it LC?Im goin the pics on Fri! :D

Goonergal
08-21-2002, 03:20 PM
Yes I reccomend it ILR :D ;) Snap I'm going to the Flicks on Friday too! Lol! :eek:

ILR
08-21-2002, 03:26 PM
WOW! :eek:

What u goin 2 see?

Goonergal
08-21-2002, 03:34 PM
No Idea, but thinking about it I'd quite like to see The Guru. You?

ILR
08-21-2002, 03:36 PM
mmm I duno yet either that ,Austin Powers or MIB2!I havent decided yet

Marri
08-21-2002, 05:05 PM
the Sweetest Thing!!!!!

OMG, i was rotflmfao ALL through the movie!!!!!!1 :D :D :Dmy god i love CAmeron Diaz, C. Applegate and Selma!!!! it's not a very "intellectual" movie, but is was funny!!!!!

Leo7
08-22-2002, 01:01 AM
IluvRogi, i also recommend Minority Report! it was really exciting all the way through!

what are your favorite 80's/early 90's movies? i LOVE the Breakfast Club! no seriously, i worship this movie!lol! i also REALLY like Don't Tell Mom, the Babysitter's Dead!:)

Layla
08-22-2002, 01:14 AM
Off the top of my head...

Footloose. :D But mostly for that dance scene. :o

All John Cusack movies, like Better Off Dead, The Sure Thing and Say Anything.

Ferris' Beuller's Day Off

I also loved the first Back to the Future and most of the sci-fi or horror movies you can think of.

Leo7
08-22-2002, 01:18 AM
Off the top of my head...

Footloose. :D But mostly for that dance scene. :o

All John Cusack movies, like Better Off Dead, The Sure Thing and Say Anything.

Ferris' Beuller's Day Off

I also loved the first Back to the Future and most of the sci-fi or horror movies you can think of.

oh, how could i ever forget Ferris Beuller?! that movie is a classic!:)

Layla
08-22-2002, 01:21 AM
I know. I don't think I've ever laughed so hard. :D

Steam
08-22-2002, 01:54 AM
I watched some A walk in the park movie on Family Channel only because Jane Krakowski was in it and she's hot.

Layla
08-22-2002, 01:58 AM
She is hot and so is her husband. :D

Steam
08-22-2002, 04:02 AM
Who is she married to? It should be me.

Dissident
08-22-2002, 04:26 AM
MIB2 sucked. I was expecting something at least half as cool as the first. It was a lot less than that.
I bought LOTR DVD too. Watched it many times as well. Good movie :D
The sweetest thing was the youckiest thing :p some parts were funny though. But the whole movie could be cut to that piecing part. The rest was *yawn*

Memento kicks ass. Nolan´s new movie is on right now. Ill go see it this week I guess.

Poe
08-22-2002, 04:44 AM
i loved the sweetest thing too marri... great movie

we rented blackhawk down a few days ago and i shut it off after 20 min.

after watching the 50th person get shot and still waiting for the plot.. i was like yeah ok

aura of moya
08-22-2002, 04:49 AM
Speaking of old films, nothing beats Stand by Me.

It's everything the young teen every wanted to do.
And it is funny seeing actors like River Phoenix, Cory Feldman and John Cusack a little younger.
btw, John played Denny, the kids brother that died. ;)

Simon V

Layla
08-22-2002, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Steam
Who is she married to? It should be me.

Bradley Whitford, Josh from The West Wing.

Layla
08-22-2002, 01:19 PM
Omg, I forgot about Stand by Me (and plenty of others I'm sure). I loved that movie. I think I saw it 5 times or more, but I wouldn't mind seeing it again. I should try and find a copy. :D

Leo7
08-22-2002, 03:13 PM
oh i love Ghost ! it's on EVERY Thanksgiving and i HAVE too watch it! Whoopi is hilarious!:)

>>vamos_tommy<<
08-22-2002, 08:55 PM
Last movie I watched was:

Bend it like Beckham

Absolutely hilarious and fun! I was entertained all throughout the movie and I definitely recommend it!

4/5 stars

Steam
08-22-2002, 10:24 PM
No, I was talking about Jane Krakowski who used to be on Ally McBeal, not the Jane Kwhatever from Malcolm. Jane Krakowski is HOT!!!!

Marri
08-22-2002, 10:30 PM
pay it forward... :sad:

bcoene
08-22-2002, 10:58 PM
I just saw Dragonfly with Kevin Costner. I really loved the movie. I give him a 5. I even was a little scared during the movie, and that's what I love most in a movie, it doesn't happen very often.

bonkers186
08-23-2002, 02:40 AM
I just saw the Wizard of Oz and i think I was a Scarecrow in another life.

Gandalf
08-23-2002, 09:44 AM
I saw Minority report last week.

The story is good, it reminded me a bit of Twelve monkeys. There are some nice turns on the plot. A little bit too long. I give it 3 and 1/2 out of 5.

Princess Fiona
08-23-2002, 11:05 AM
The last movie I watched was Mulholland Drive. I'd be lying if I said I understood all of the plot (:o) but I certainly recommend the film - very stylish, and intriguing, with magnificent acting. 4.25 out of 5 rating from moi! :D

The Crow
08-23-2002, 11:12 AM
O o Twin!!!! Mulholland drive is fantastic (and in a short moment of genius I understood the complete plot, but lost it again almost directly ;) ). Have you seen Lost Highway? That movie was even better (and less understandable :eek: ).

Last movie I've seen: Jean de Florette (and taped the following: Manon des sources). I think it's French classic and it was a good movie.

Dissident
08-24-2002, 04:10 AM
Mullholand Drive was great.

I just seen the Curse of the Jade Scorpion. Very funny and interesting :D

Static
08-24-2002, 05:11 AM
Der Krieger und die Kaiserin - was a nice movie, almost like a fairy tale of some sort. It had some very good moments, and some were a bit unfinished. Overall I liked it, but it wasn't what it could have been.

irma
08-24-2002, 07:23 AM
I watched she is all that yesterday.
it was not such a good movie and the story was done already very often.
but it was not the worst movie either so I still watched it till the end:)

Princess Fiona
08-24-2002, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by The Crow
O o Twin!!!! Mulholland drive is fantastic (and in a short moment of genius I understood the complete plot, but lost it again almost directly ;) ). Have you seen Lost Highway? That movie was even better (and less understandable :eek: ).

Twiiiiiiiiiiin!! :D :wavey: I think I'll have to see the movie about, ooooh, a squillion more times before I come close to understanding it. ;)

I haven't seen Lost Highway but I will make an effort to check it out!! *taking notes* ;)

aura of moya
08-24-2002, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by hitman
Mullholand Drive was great.

I just seen the Curse of the Jade Scorpion. Very funny and interesting :D

Hey Fern,
Out of those two, which should I download?

I know Mulholland Drive is really good and weird, and remember Curse of.... was talked about quite a bit when it was release, but overall, I dont know too much about either.

Tell us on MSN.........there about 700mb each, and I think one at a time is the smart choice :p

Simon V

Magnus's #1 Fan
08-25-2002, 12:00 AM
Pay It Forward :sad: I watched the movie last year and I was cry alot!! :o

Anyway, last time I watched movie was Small Soldiers last night on free air on TV :o I actually like the movie!! :o LOL!!

Last week, I rented a movie video called Rat Race and it was funny!! :D I really enjoyed it!! ;)

Central
08-25-2002, 11:49 AM
Mulholland Drive turned to be a great movie the fourth time I watched it...

aura of moya
08-25-2002, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Central
Mulholland Drive turned to be a great movie the fourth time I watched it...

hehehe.........so, thats 5 for confusing, and 1, 2, 3, ummm, none for understandable.........:p

I must watch it now.....:)

Simon V

aura of moya
08-25-2002, 01:35 PM
Tonight, I went and saw Orange County.
This was a nice fun film about a guy who is a promising writer trying to get into Stanford University only to have his crazy family block his way at every turn with their stupidity and silly selfishness.
I have to say that the movie was a nice easy going film, and the lead actor was a genuine nice guy, played by newcomer, Colin Hanks. His goofy looks really made you feel for him when everything kept going wrong.
Jack Black was at his usual and extremely funny sillyest, but still hasn't reached the high level of comedy he reached in the John Cusack film, High Fidelity.

Rating *** (of 5)

Simon V

warfreakbix
08-26-2002, 11:16 AM
Watched XXX yesterday :D, amazing stunts, soundtrax was terrific and Vin Diesel is a stud :drool: :drool:! Highly recommended for people who like action flicks!

My favorite Ferris scene ---- I heard that you are very sick, headache, fever and a flu......... too funny :D :D :D

ILR
08-26-2002, 11:46 AM
Hmm just watched Goldmember and Eight legged freaks.Me being totally aracnaphobic,gets very scared easily when spiders are around yet I managed 2 quite enjoy it! :D

Layla
08-26-2002, 12:08 PM
You're aracnophobic too? OMG, the movie Aracnophobia is my worst nightmare. :eek: I kept wanting to scream but I was at the cinema, so it wouldn't have been appropriate.

ILR
08-26-2002, 12:10 PM
Oooo god I hate spiders!I will NEVER watch aracnaphobia EVER!I swear I wont be able 2 sleep again!

nevenez
02-23-2013, 10:22 PM
Mulholland Drive, a couple of really hot lesbo scenes between naomi Watts & Laura Herring. Weird movie though. I give it 3 out of 5 stars.
Did I say it had a really hot lesbo scene, mmm, mmm, mm, m mmm!

Mountaindewslave
02-24-2013, 03:33 AM
Drive - Ryan Gosling

is the last movie that had be thinking like shit for hours aftwards.
brilliantly shot. stylish. great soundtrack. relatively thought provoking.
catch it if you haven't yet... as long as you dig/can handle movies that start out a bit slow

BauerAlmeida
02-24-2013, 04:17 AM
A Kiss And A Promise

Good movie but nothing special. 7/10

viruzzz
02-24-2013, 04:42 AM
Why nevenez is reviving all these threads? :confused:

"I love miami". It's a pretty nice movie, 3.5 stars

Chair Umpire
04-11-2013, 11:47 AM
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.

:zzz:

RIboy
04-11-2013, 02:23 PM
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.

:zzz:

a very, very long :zzz:

B-Nard
04-17-2013, 01:44 AM
Mulholland Drive, a couple of really hot lesbo scenes between naomi Watts & Laura Herring. Weird movie though. I give it 3 out of 5 stars.
Did I say it had a really hot lesbo scene, mmm, mmm, mm, m mmm!

It's David Lynch. Of course it's going to be "weird". It's a masterpiece and probably, alongside Billy Wilder's Sunset Blvd. and the Coen Brothers' Barton Fink, the best film to look into the corruption and darkness of Hollywood. For more weirdness, watch Lost Highway, Inland Empire and Eraserhead.

And my dream came true when Naomi Watts made love with another woman.

Mr. Oracle
04-17-2013, 02:39 AM
There are 3 or 4 movie threads now? Ridiculous. Showed the mods which ones to merge. Nothing was done. Quality of website suffers therefore: fragmentation, alienation, consternation :facepalm:

B-Nard
04-17-2013, 10:28 AM
Tokyo Story (1953)

A profound and somewhat poignant depiction into the value of family in capitalist post-WWII Japan. Very few filmmakers can be sentimental and compassionate without feeling contrived or overly-manipulative - Ozu is one of them. Avant-garde cinema at its finest. Ozu provides quite the stylistic contrast from his other two other main contemporaries in Kurosawa and Mizoguchi. The camera only moves once in this film, and it was a relatively minimal panning shot. It's a very bleak film but has an underlying sense of optimism throughout, primarily in its central characters.

BauerAlmeida
04-18-2013, 01:31 AM
"Religulous" Great documentary by Bill Maher.

B-Nard
04-19-2013, 08:31 AM
Late Spring (1949)

The beginning of postwar Ozu. A critique of marriage, in many respects, and a poignant look into the ideas of modernity vs. tradition. Ozu is a master at exploring social constraints and how they affect the lives of middle class families. The ending is incredibly beautiful but also quite bittersweet. This film is just about as "anti-Hollywood" as it can get; it goes against all normal filmic conventions we've grown accustomed to seeing in the West. In spite of Ozu never marrying nor having a family of his own, he seemed to understand the psychology and social functions of marriage. A fine character study and one of the best films the Eastern world has to offer. Ozu was one of a kind.

Droog
04-19-2013, 06:08 PM
Before Sunrise (1995)

The premise of the film sounds simple. A man and lady meet on a train and decide to get off together at Vienna, and spend the night walking around and getting to know each other. This is a dialogue and character driven film and the dialogue is utterly amazing - Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy have great chemistry also. An instant favourite for me.

Topspindoctor
04-19-2013, 08:37 PM
Django Unchained. One of the few movies during which I didn't fall asleep in the recent years. Tarantino is a bloody genius IMO. Very well done.

rate it 8.5/10

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

ProdigyEng
04-19-2013, 08:43 PM
Skyfall.

Quality film, best Bond film of Craigs reign as Bond imo. The bit at the end is sad as hell but I aint gonna spoil. First time I've been close to tears at a film since Black Beauty died.

Sham Kay
04-19-2013, 11:01 PM
Olympus has fallen

Foreigners do bad shit, a lone Scotsman pretending to be an American kicks some butt and raises the stars and stripes. So a pretty typical ultra realistic Hollywood movie.

B-Nard
04-20-2013, 01:33 AM
Before Sunrise (1995)

The premise of the film sounds simple. A man and lady meet on a train and decide to get off together at Vienna, and spend the night walking around and getting to know each other. This is a dialogue and character driven film and the dialogue is utterly amazing - Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy have great chemistry also. An instant favourite for me.

For more simplistic, beautiful and poignant romantic films, shying away from sentimentality, seek Clint Eastwood's The Bridges of Madison County.

J99
04-24-2013, 04:17 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2e/Oblivion2013Poster.jpg

Pretty weird and familiar referencing at least 10 sci-fi movie's, don't expect this kind of weirdness from a big budget hollywood pic, see it for yourself.

HKz
04-24-2013, 04:29 AM
Savages

A rather fucked up movie. Definitely don't watch this while high like I did :o

Mr. Oracle
04-24-2013, 04:37 AM
Django Unchained. One of the few movies during which I didn't fall asleep in the recent years. Tarantino is a bloody genius IMO. Very well done.

rate it 8.5/10

After a second viewing, I like it a lot now. Great Q.T dialogue as usual. Even Leo wasn't too bad. The funniest/saddest thing is S.L. Jackson's devotion to his "master" despite his bondage. Just unreal that people can be brainwashed that way. Excellent and biting social commentary by Q.T. on the sad reality of American slavery, done with comic genius.

ssin
04-24-2013, 07:32 AM
Korean movie the Host 2006 : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0468492/

iV-mYZAPcRE

well done and fun movie, monster sci-fi horror with plenty of humor. Some social and political commentary as well. I heard there is a sequel this year. It's strange I missed the first part when it came out.

This year will be interesting, with new films of Coen brothers, Takashi Miike, Polanski and Soderbergh. Is anyone going to be in Cannes this year in May??

B-Nard
04-24-2013, 10:35 AM
Early Summer (1951)

Very thematically similar to Late Spring, but a little more lighthearted, and, perhaps, optimistic. Ozu once again deals with the ideas of marriage being a social constrain and also the inevitability of families slowly drifting apart, due to obligation and conformity. The ending is absolutely beautiful and the film contains more moving shots than Tokyo Story, Late Spring and Tokyo Twilight combined. Sometimes I just wish Ozu moved the camera on a more regular basis; the panning shots are divertingly gorgeous.

B-Nard
04-26-2013, 05:51 AM
Fires on the Plain (1959)

For its time, shockingly violent and bleakly disturbing. A film that depicts the sheer filth, horror, and trepidation of the closing stages of World War II in Japan. Ichikawa witnessed the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki firsthand, so his vision is anything but inaccurate. It's also adeptly shot, containing some orgasmic tracking shots.

Droog
04-26-2013, 03:16 PM
For more simplistic, beautiful and poignant romantic films, shying away from sentimentality, seek Clint Eastwood's The Bridges of Madison County.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm a fan of Eastwood films and have yet to see that film!

J99
04-26-2013, 10:54 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/df/Holy_Motors_poster.jpg

Pretty weird film, but it's supposed to be because it's surrealism, so if you are into that sort of thing then check it out, I would also recommend it as one of the films from 2012 that everyone should see.

asmazif
04-27-2013, 02:47 PM
Nights of Cabiria. pretty ace.

Chair Umpire
05-02-2013, 10:18 AM
Oblivion.

...meah.

tennisprince
05-02-2013, 12:02 PM
I watched Evil Dead the other week and it was brilliant, there were def a few jumpy moments throughout the film.

For those of you who havent seen it i would recommend it.

nole_no1
05-04-2013, 01:48 PM
I've watched Iron Man 3 two days ago. It wasn't bad even though the Mandarin stuff was disappointing but it could've been way better. The bad part about this movie in my opinion was that they tried to focus a bit too more than they should on the funny scenes

Mong Mong
05-04-2013, 01:57 PM
Skyfall :lol: I'm a TV guy so I watch more TV series than movies.

I thought Skyfall is a masterpiece. What makes 007 better than MI or Bourne is that there's so much depth in the story, it is not just all guns and actions. There's so many dimensions and so much drama in it that it captivates you and really touches you at the end. And this is coming from someone who hate action movies.

Though I watch GI Joe just for daddy Channing :inlove:

Droog
05-06-2013, 11:50 AM
My Neighbor Totoro - Not my favourite Studio Ghibli film (Spirited Away > Princess Mononoke > Hal's Moving Castle > My Neighbor Totoro) but still such a great, charming and beautiful film.

Topspindoctor
05-06-2013, 12:18 PM
Skyfall :lol: I'm a TV guy so I watch more TV series than movies.

I thought Skyfall is a masterpiece. What makes 007 better than MI or Bourne is that there's so much depth in the story, it is not just all guns and actions. There's so many dimensions and so much drama in it that it captivates you and really touches you at the end. And this is coming from someone who hate action movies.

Though I watch GI Joe just for daddy Channing :inlove:

Skyfall had "dimensions and depth"? :spit:

Sophitia36
05-06-2013, 09:43 PM
While I was on the plane to Tokyo (and then back ^^) I watched:

- Anna Karenina
Took me a while to get used to the style, but in the end, I liked it. For once, I found Knightley convincing. I am beginning to see why Joe Wright can be an interesting director.

- 7 Psychopaths
I had loved In Bruges, so I knew I would love "7 Psychopaths", and it didn't fail to deliver. It may not be your typical Oscar-worthy movie, but it's original, clever and funny. I laughed my ass off (even though I was on the plane ^^)

- Casino Royale
Had to watch one half and then the other, so I didn't quite follow the story... But I do like Daniel Craig as Bond, after all. And God, is that girl Eva Green super gorgeous. Even I, as a straight woman, found her mesmerizing.

- Wreck it Ralph
I enjoyed it, it was cute, funny and full of clever ideas.

- Life of Pi
I also enjoyed it, but I did not understand everything (partly because of the accents, partly because I was on the plane, and partly because I had eardrum perforation, which doesn't help).
It was visually very beautiful, I'm not sure I understood everything about the message, sometimes it was a bit slow, but overall I liked it.

- Argo
I really loved it. True, there were a few things that were really stereotypical and made me cringe a little (action/thriller clichés), and I knew they must have tampered with the "true story" quite a bit.
But that first scene in the embassy with the mob outside... It's so scary, I was completely immersed in it (I must admit, few things scare me as much as a crazy mob).
And the parts in which they prepare the fake movie are just hilarious.

And more recently:

-The Grandmaster
by the great Wong Kar Wai, starring the great Tony Leung Chiu Wai as well as Zhang Ziyi and Chang Chen.
I liked it, but I cannot say I was enthralled. I was expecting a lot, of course, from this highly anticipated, and long-awaited movie... In the end, it was visually gorgeous, as any Wong Kar Wai movie ought to be.
The actors were flawless, of course. The story was a bit difficult to get, as is often the case with Wong Kar Wai, but you can tell that if you watch it several times, you will find more and more interesting things in it.
Otherwise, I have the same problem with it that I had with the most recent Wong Kar Wai movies: I have the feeling that he likes to watch himself film, and tends to forget about the viewer.
That's why I personally enjoy his earlier films like Chungking Express or Fallen Angels the most.
But anyway, I don't want to deter people from going, The Grandmaster is a beautiful, clever, extremely well-crafted movie with great actors, like pretty much any other Wong Kar Wai movie. If you love kung fu, of course, you have to go.

Oh, and I had almost forgotten another one:

-Wuxia (aka Dragon or Swordsmen... they gave it so many names I can't even follow).
I had been waiting to see this one for a long, long time.
Why? Because it has my idol Takeshi Kaneshiro in it, and because it was directed by Peter Chan, and so far, Kaneshiro's collaborations with Chan were always interesting.
This movie starts Kaneshiro as a rather strange detective, and Donnie Yen as an apparently ordinary villager who might also be a martial arts expert in disguise (of course the whole point is to find out whether he is, or not).
The beginning of the plot is very close to that of A History of Violence (with Viggo Mortensen): an ordinary guy becomes a hero by killing some bad guys and saving the village, but by doing so, he attracts the attention of a detective who believes there is something fishy with the way this "ordinary" guy killed two expert killers.
Visually, it is stunning, the actors are great, and I really enjoyed it.

Lopez
05-06-2013, 10:07 PM
Saw Vicky Cristina Barcelona the other day.

I've heard good things about it and have to say, I was a little disappointed. The movie is overrated in my opinion. Penelope Cruz gives a great performance and her relationship with Bardem's character is great, but otherwise the movie was about some rich and fortunate people and their love drama... I couldn't relate to any character and I didn't feel like the movie had a point (it probably didn't).

Mark Lenders
05-06-2013, 11:36 PM
- Life of Pi
I also enjoyed it, but I did not understand everything (partly because of the accents, partly because I was on the plane, and partly because I had eardrum perforation, which doesn't help).
It was visually very beautiful, I'm not sure I understood everything about the message, sometimes it was a bit slow, but overall I liked it.

I'd vividly recommending reading the book. The film is very good, but the novel is epic - one of the most well-written, enthralling and powerful novels I've ever read, it's brilliant.

Wing Man Frank
05-06-2013, 11:41 PM
Ted - very amusing. Doesn't need a massive write-up but I was surprised just how much I enjoyed it.

The Hurricane - Denzel Washington puts in a stunning performance. Sadly just like Argo I am confused as to how much I enjoyed it simply as I cannot tell the truth from the fiction.

Rounders - as a gambling man this film is just so unbelievably enjoyable for me!

B-Nard
05-07-2013, 12:05 AM
Some films I've seen in the past few weeks:

Shock Corridor (1963)
A compelling viewing, although the narration was a huge defect. I understood its intent, but it impeded the stem of the film, revealing the absolute obvious in the most conspicuous way possible. Nonetheless, an enjoyable film, where most praise goes directly to Fuller's direction.

Elevator to the Gallows (1958)
An interesting film which takes, what seems to be, an implausible narrative and puts an intricate, cogent touch on it. The way everything unfolds is first-rate and reflective of both Malle's method of storytelling and its impressive script. My only critique is the acting which came across as a bit banal.

Detachment (2011)
One of cinema's greatest, undervalued and most audacious achievements. With its radical, nonconformist-like approach to editing and storytelling, this is simply an incredible film. It's extremely artistic, rather reminiscent of Terrence Malick and his bold, quick-cut, excessive style, and cements Tony Kaye as a truly ambitious filmmaker. It's a daring critique of the American public school system and how the problems within the schools interrelate with the problems existing within our society. It's thematically very similar to season four of The Wire, which comments on how mundane curriculum and a need to generate profit (at the expense of the students) is the core problem amongst educational institutions. It's poignant, bold, disturbing, tragic, optimistic, worrying, and dashing. A true cinematic achievement and one of the greatest films I have ever seen, bar none.

Marty (1955)
An endearing and pleasant film which tells a simple story without coming across as too sentimental or mawkish. I enjoyed it thoroughly. One of only two films to ever win both the Palme d'Or at the Cannes Film Festival and the Academy Award for Best Picture.

Mr. Oracle
05-07-2013, 02:49 AM
I'd vividly recommending reading the book. The film is very good, but the novel is epic - one of the most well-written, enthralling and powerful novels I've ever read, it's brilliant.

As a jaded film nerd, I think I've seen every narrative device there is. This movie actually did something to me which hasn't happened in a long while, it mesmerized me. How do I know this? Simple, my mouth dries out when I've been gaping for a couple of hours, and not blinking dries my contacts out, neck gets tight cause I'm as motionless as a lizard on the beach in Cancun (I hate those things).

After reading several reviews, I noticed that some of the strongest reactions came from those who view the universe as ordered, mystical and guided by the benevolent hand of Providence. In The Life of Pi, some of the world's major religions are sampled by the protagonist (motifs for seeking truth and meaning), and his tumultuous and miraculous voyage at sea is followed by his physical salvation when he's rescued. Pi, now an older and wiser man, having lost all, is rewarded with the joy and comfort of family. He's had everything restored to him.

Striking parallels with Old Testament Job, who like Pi, lost his family and his wealth, was put through incredible suffering due to sickness, and while despairing of life, was ultimately restored in the end by Providence. I had a vision of Jonah, when he was gobbled up by the friendly whale and spit unto shore, to safety, and even secular literature such as Coleridge's: The Rime of the Ancient Mariner. That poem also dealt with the theme of trial at sea, and the journey from naive youth to wisdom gained through suffering. All of the major religions have the theme of "trial by fire."

The possible explanations of what really happened with Pi at sea, and his, and our confusion in the recalling of the events, is a symbol for the difficulty in understanding the mysterious workings of Providence, or a higher power. We cannot get a true grasp of the ultimate reality because we are finite, mortal and ultimately very limited beings. As insects cannot grasp our reality, so we cannot understand the mysteries of life, especially the workings of Providence. Even our attempts to explain the simple aspects of life are PATHETIC at best. What we perceive may not be the ultimate reality--existential philosophy. And, does a potentially omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent being see things differently from how we see things? Is that the ultimate measure for what is real? I'd like to think so...Can we, and will we know all the answers one day and see reality for what it really is? Hmmm.

Those who view the universe as Kubrick did, and other nihilists do, as indifferent, or as a lonely place, or meaningless, may find little satisfaction in The Life of Pi. Those who see the guiding Hand, and the sublime and powerful intervention of Providence, will have goosebumps on the backs of their necks!

I never read the book, but this is my take on the movie, and I enjoy how the ambiguity of the film inspires my worldview! All good art does that because it doesn't patronize and beat you ever the head with a rigid explanation.

5 juicy red Sicilian tomatoes out of 5 :)

http://www.awesomecuisine.com/content_images/1/fresh_red_tomatoes.jpg

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
05-07-2013, 12:22 PM
Evil dead.
Plenty of shocking moments, not a proper horror, went home after the cinema hooked up the Netflix and enjoyed the heck out of army of darkness, truly epic movie.

Insidious.
Should be called comedy. Hilariously bad... Funny as hell though.

Firefly series.
WOW. HOW DID I MISS THIS, BEST SCI FI SERIES I'VE EVER SEEN. MUST WATCH TV IF YOU'RE A SCI FI GEEK

B-Nard
05-16-2013, 06:44 AM
Films I've seen in the past 3-4 weeks.

Lars and the Real Girl (2007)
Gets a bit excessive at times, mainly with the implausibility of its story, but it's a fairly endearing film for the most part, and more or less what I expected.

Le Samourai (1967)
Could not take a shine to Melville's technique here. It's a well-written film, but had a sense of aloofness to it, mainly because of how insipid the protagonist was depicted. I understood the character, but it came across as lifeless and departed. I feel as if charisma is a necessity to tell a story of this nature. Open for future rewatches, however.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012)
Engaging coming-of-age drama that manages to tell a fairly intricate story without becoming being too convoluted or pompous. Has some interesting ideas at its base; some being better developed than others, but it was a pleasant surprise.

Red Desert (1964)
A very expressionistic film that depicts the desolate nature of an industrialised state. It's beautifully photographed, but unfortunately felt too insular and remote for me to become immersed in. I can praise the aesthetics of the film endlessly, but that can only go so far.

My Dinner with Andre (1981)
One of the best, most compelling films I've seen that depicts the existential and postmodern thought that skyrocketed in the 80s. It raises many theoretical, metaphysical questions but offers no clear solution, only speculation and curiosity. An enthralling film that engages its viewers on a profoundly conceptual level. I loved it.

Shock Corridor (1963)
A compelling viewing, although the narration was a huge defect. I understood its intent, but it impeded the stem of the film, revealing the absolute obvious in the most conspicuous way possible. Nonetheless, an enjoyable film, where most praise goes directly to Fuller's direction.

Elevator to the Gallows (1958)
An interesting film which takes, what seems to be, an implausible narrative and puts an intricate, cogent touch on it. The way everything unfolds is first-rate and reflective of both Malle's method of storytelling and its impressive script. My only critique is the acting which came across as a bit banal.

Detachment (2011)
One of cinema's greatest, undervalued and most audacious achievements. With its radical, nonconformist-like approach to editing and storytelling, this is simply an incredible film. It's extremely artistic, rather reminiscent of Terrence Malick and his bold, quick-cut, excessive style, and cements Tony Kaye as a truly ambitious filmmaker. It's a daring critique of the American public school system and how the problems within the schools interrelate with the problems existing within our society. It's thematically very similar to season four of The Wire, which comments on how mundane curriculum and a need to generate profit (at the expense of the students) is the core problem amongst educational institutions. It's poignant, bold, disturbing, tragic, optimistic, worrying, and dashing. A true cinematic achievement and one of the greatest films I have ever seen, bar none.

Marty (1955)
An endearing and pleasant film which tells a simple story without coming across as too sentimental or mawkish. I enjoyed it thoroughly. One of only two films to ever win both the Palme d'Or at the Cannes Film Festival and the Academy Award for Best Picture.

I try to at least a few films a week.

Fed fordawin
05-16-2013, 10:43 AM
Evil dead.
Plenty of shocking moments, not a proper horror, went home after the cinema hooked up the Netflix and enjoyed the heck out of army of darkness, truly epic movie.

Insidious.
Should be called comedy. Hilariously bad... Funny as hell though.

Firefly series.
WOW. HOW DID I MISS THIS, BEST SCI FI SERIES I'VE EVER SEEN. MUST WATCH TV IF YOU'RE A SCI FI GEEK

True. Great series! :worship:

I watched Evil Dead, which was yet another completely unnecessary remake to a superior original.

Also watched The Grandmaster, which was disappointing. The fights were super slow mo to hide the fact the actors can't fight, and the story wasn't compelling. The movie was missing a good hour of development IMO.

MichaelKrep
05-16-2013, 11:57 PM
25th Hour

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/25th_hour/

Directed by Spike Lee, stars Edward Norton and Phillip Seymour Hoffman.

Brilliant film about a drug dealer's last day before he has to go off to prison. The tension builds in an extremely subtle manner as we follow the guy and his closest friends in the last hours before they have to separate for some time. Never too preachy, never too melodramatic, I thought this was an extremely well done film. If you like character-driven dramas, this is surely one for you.

9/10

05-19-2013, 03:04 AM
New Star Trek

Best SCI.fi film I have ever seen. ESsential

Better in everyway than empire strikes back.

B-Nard
05-19-2013, 03:42 AM
Murmur of the Heart (1971)
I can now safely say Malle is one of my very favourite filmmakers. This is an endearing, somewhat audacious coming-of-age film that explores the rebellious nature of a 14 year old adolescent in such an astute, human way. It's also a very personal, complete character study, that never detracts from focus. I love the films' interpretation of the Freudian Oedipus complex, too; very few films can actually explore the merits of the theory without coming across as too implausible or downright lewd. Overall, an absolutely brilliant, engrossing film that further solidifies the ambition and sheer talent of Malle.

Jverweij
05-19-2013, 08:49 PM
Iron Man 3. It was horrible

Literati
05-19-2013, 09:29 PM
The Hunger Games. It was pretty okay but still books are WAY better.

Time Violation
05-19-2013, 09:57 PM
Good day to die hard, meh... 4 or 5/10 max. Feels more like a one hour episode of a TV series than a movie. Ok to rent for the evening, but nothing more than that.

ImmzB
05-19-2013, 10:28 PM
Fast and Furious 6 - I enjoyed it but liked Fast 5 better.

Lestat
05-20-2013, 03:41 PM
On cinema: Iron Man 3: I was expecting more. a little bit disappointing.

pc: Men in Black 3 (1080) damn I didnt want to see K and J that old :/ the trama was promising but the movie was poor.

out_here_grindin
05-21-2013, 12:34 AM
New Star Trek

Best SCI.fi film I have ever seen. ESsential

Better in everyway than empire strikes back.

Absolutely no way

Mong Mong
05-21-2013, 12:37 AM
Fast and Furious 6 - I enjoyed it but liked Fast 5 better.

:lol: Whenever I thinkof FaF, I always remember that reference from American Dad with all the gay sex monologues :lol:

MichaelKrep
05-21-2013, 04:55 PM
New Star Trek

Best SCI.fi film I have ever seen.
I have not seen the film itself but I highly doubt that it's that good.

May I suggest:
- 2001: A Space Odyssey
- Solaris (the original)
- Close Encounters of the Third Kind
- Blade Runner
- Moon

Now those are great sci-fi films.

RForehand
05-21-2013, 06:10 PM
Silent Hill Revelations
It was very weak compared to the prequel.

B-Nard
05-24-2013, 11:54 AM
The Naked City (1948)
Beyond its interesting documentary-like approach, this film was just empty and off-putting. Not even its relatively diverting story could make up for the monotonous characters and repellent pacing. In saying that, film noir has never been my thing, but this was definitely underwhelming.

Jeff, Who Lives at Home (2011)
Fairly endearing tale that explores some pretty radicals ideas, although needs much more than eighty minutes to develop them. It also seemed too quick-witted for its own good. Despite this, solid chemistry between both Segel and Helms and a poignant ending makes this good comedy/drama.

Mouchette (1967)
A damn disruptive viewing, but from what I got, lifeless and wearisome. I know this is Bresson's style, but it simply came across as unsavoury, and, frankly, flat. This film was divided into two viewings, so everything was slightly irregular, especially in terms of mood. Regardless, a very underwhelming film, where my only praise goes directly to the photography and Nortier's performance.

Django Unchained (2012)
Fun film. I was afraid Tarantino was going to be too excessive with the homages, but he finds the right balance.

GSMnadal
05-24-2013, 12:11 PM
Shame (2011)

Meh, didn't like it very much. I love Michael Fassbender as an actor and he portrayed the sex addict very well, but the movie lacked emotion (probably on purpose given the topic) and that prevented me from actually feeling something towards the characters.

Killing them Softly (2012)

Poor movie. Boring, doesn't happen much, flat characters. Wouldn't recommend it.

abollo
05-24-2013, 12:22 PM
The Lucky One

Didn't live up to the expectations. Almost same scheme like any other Sparks' movie.
One thing I noticed is that Zac Efron looks like Wawrinka in that movie. lol

Ben.
05-24-2013, 12:24 PM
I can understand someone may find Killing them Softly boring... but flat characters? McNairy, Mendelsohn, Gandolfini are all still etched in my mind 9 months later, Pitt slightly lass so, perhaps. Plus it's really fucking funny!

Tape (2001) - A riveting exercise in ambiguity. The 90 minutes flew by.

B-Nard
05-25-2013, 12:55 AM
Killing Me Softly was very underwhelming, especially since the director, Andrew Dominik, was the master behind The Assassination of Jesse James.

Ben.
05-25-2013, 03:39 PM
Killing Me Softly was very underwhelming, especially since the director, Andrew Dominik, was the master behind The Assassination of Jesse James.

Maybe he set the bar too high then. Dominik is trying his hand at different genres though... his next film is a Marilyn Monroe biopic.

Sophitia36
05-25-2013, 08:31 PM
I saw TRANCE. It was utter crap. Like a failed rip-off of Inception and a few other films.

B-Nard
05-25-2013, 10:04 PM
Maybe he set the bar too high then. Dominik is trying his hand at different genres though... his next film is a Marilyn Monroe biopic.

He's an interesting filmmaker, and I greatly look forward to the Monroe biopic. He tends to explore the concept of fame very well and captures the despair of it.. Seek Chopper if you haven't already.

05-26-2013, 07:28 PM
Battle royale.

Shit but better tHan hunger games

Equilibrium

Great acts film. Very well done. Usual anti religion propaganda bullshit but with some excellent action scenes, even limited bale does an acceptable job

05-26-2013, 07:30 PM
I have not seen the film itself but I highly doubt that it's that good.

May I suggest:
- 2001: A Space Odyssey
- Solaris (the original)
- Close Encounters of the Third Kind
- Blade Runner
- Moon

Now those are great sci-fi films.

2001- awful
Solaris. Haven't seen
Close encounters. Passable but not great
B.ade runner. Over never got into, don't get the hype. It's boring
Moon. Plan to watch soon

GSMnadal
05-26-2013, 07:47 PM
Les Misérables (2012)

I had to get used to them singing anything, but once I got into it, I loved the movie. Also loved Russell Crowe's songs, can't believe all the hate he got for his part.

MichaelKrep
05-26-2013, 11:32 PM
2001- awful
Solaris. Haven't seen
Moon. Plan to watch soon
:haha: I thought trolling was restricted to the GM forum.
P.S. Don't see Moon, you probably won't like it based on your post.

Ivelina_P
05-27-2013, 05:48 AM
The Great Gatsby
Not the most riveting story to make a film about(hadnt read the novel),first of all.
Stellar cast,but big waste of acting talent because the actual focus was cinematography.
Beautiful colourful sceneries,but misses the personal connection to the characters' fate.
Awful choice of music.
4/10

Time Violation
05-27-2013, 08:43 AM
Bullet to the Head (2012)

If you like Sly it's a must see, if not, probably better to see something else.

The Day the Earth Stood Still (2008)

Watched it again after some years, really good movie, not sure why everybody was/is whining about it :)

samanosuke
05-27-2013, 09:51 AM
Bullet to the Head (2012)

If you like Sly it's a must see, if not, probably better to see something else.

can confirm that :lol:

all those Hoollywood action legends in non blockbuster movie = big failure

samanosuke
05-27-2013, 09:57 AM
last weeks watched few of those "easy for watching" actions movies

Bullet to the Head
Failure

The last stand
After watching trailers expected more from this movie, plenty of empty time wasting in it

Parker
Not bad but neither a great movie

Snitch
Good movie, worth of watching

Jack Reacher
The best on the list.

and one "serious" movie

Side effects
A good one :yeah:

Time Violation
05-27-2013, 10:42 AM
all those Hoollywood action legends in non blockbuster movie = big failure

Dunno, I like Stallone, I don't think I watched any of his films that i didn't like, but then again, you do need to be a fan :lol:

B-Nard
05-28-2013, 06:31 AM
2001- awful
Solaris. Haven't seen
Moon. Plan to watch soon

How is Blade Runner boring and 2001 awful? If you want to make such a bold statement, at least try to back it up.

05-28-2013, 05:27 PM
Mission impossible 3

Great film. Phillip Seymour Hoffman is amazing in it, steals the show, I'm sure he inspired Heath ledgers joker as well

05-28-2013, 05:29 PM
How is Blade Runner boring and 2001 awful? If you want to make such a bold statement, at least try to back it up.

Ok, they are overly long
Huge cult films that just bore me

BrankoMihailovic
05-29-2013, 04:02 AM

Some people would rather eat Kentucky Fried Chicken instead of caviar as well...let it go. It's a futile battle.

BrankoMihailovic
05-29-2013, 04:09 AM
Sunset unlimited.

Tommy Lee Jones and Samuel L Jackson knock one out of the park. Should be seen by all but will probably be avoided by those who try to avoid the sad things in life; too heavy and probably inaccessible, but, keepin' it real like Snoop Dogg. Life is not pretty for some, they sadly long for the comfort of oblivion. Wonder if this hits home for Tommy Lee Jones after his grumpy demeanour at the oscars. Doesn't seem so funny now.

Black Snake Moan.

More soul food.

J99
05-29-2013, 09:15 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8f/The_Sitter_Poster.jpg
The Sitter

Meh, was hoping it would be better than it was, not a very funny comedy.

GSMnadal
05-30-2013, 04:04 PM
Festen (1998)

Good movie, I liked Jagten more, but this one had some fine acting in it as well. The camerawork bothered me a little bit. Would definitely recommend.

How to lose friends and alienate people (2008)

As a huge fan of Simon Pegg, I can appreciate this one as well. Not his best work, but still good enough to sit through. Don't have high expectations and just enjoy a light, breezy, cliche movie.

Taken 2 (2012)

Action packed, fast paced, exiting rollercoaster. Liam Neeson again being as badass as we know he can be. Not as good as the first one and more of the same, but still some very nice action and some beautiful camerawork in Istanbul.

Arbitrage (2012)

Interesting drama/thriller with some great acting from Richard Gere. Really liked it.

RForehand
05-30-2013, 04:12 PM
Django Unchained:
Will go down as a masterpiece. Already the best movie of 2013, and i'm pretty sure it will stay like that.

Orka_n
05-30-2013, 10:16 PM
A good day to die hard.
Mediocre movie. Too bad, I liked Live free or die hard, that one had better premiss, story and characters.

06-01-2013, 12:27 PM
The purge

Really exciting premise. There's much more going on with the director intentions on what he thinks America has become than actually a great film itself

But it's very watchable

Best films I have seen in the last few years are

Star Trek into darkness
Django unchained

Both essential

Art(e)mio
06-03-2013, 08:15 AM
Oz, the Great and Powerful: Fail.

MichaelKrep
06-04-2013, 05:57 PM
The King of Comedy (1983)

In this one Scorsese remains true to his fascination with disturbed and slightly unhinged male characters, but this is also far from the usual Scorsese fare. A much more intimate and thoughtful film than Goodfellas or Casino, in my opinion. A must-see for a piercing satire of American show business as well.

Tron: Legacy (2010)

I must say I saw this in 2D and maybe some of the visual epic-ness was lost on me. As far as storytelling goes, there is of course much to be desired, but not any worse than an average Hollywood blockbuster. This has at least two things going for it: a spectacular soundtrack by Daft Punk and the ever-gorgeous Olivia Wilde looking sexy as hell. Recommendation.

Droog
06-14-2013, 02:06 PM
Finally saw the first instalment of The Hobbit. Seriously underwhelmed but it was watchable at least. Just couldn't get involved with the characters as much as LOTR and CGI is overdone in my opinion.

ne znam ali mozda
06-14-2013, 05:27 PM
City of God (2002)

I liked, but a bit overrated. Movie doesn't deserve 8.7 rating.

Nr 1 Fan
06-14-2013, 09:05 PM
Django Unchained:
Will go down as a masterpiece. Already the best movie of 2013, and i'm pretty sure it will stay like that.

It's an instant classic no doubt, but I've seen all Tarantino films multiple times and I think it doesn't compare to his first films because they are totally dlfferent, but it isn't at the level of Inglorious Basterds which is movie more or less in the same style.

alfonsojose
06-14-2013, 11:09 PM
After earth :yawn: :help:

Sophitia36
06-15-2013, 05:12 PM
Battle royale.

Shit but better tHan hunger games

LOL! You just insulted two of my favourite movies ever. Anyway, to each his own :lol:

The Great Gatsby
Not the most riveting story to make a film about(hadnt read the novel),first of all.
Stellar cast,but big waste of acting talent because the actual focus was cinematography.
Beautiful colourful sceneries,but misses the personal connection to the characters' fate.
Awful choice of music.
4/10

This story really annoys me, too. Mainly because I never really understand why Gatsby is supposed to be "great". But anyway.
I agree with you about the music, it was daring but terrible.

Les Misérables (2012)

I had to get used to them singing anything, but once I got into it, I loved the movie. Also loved Russell Crowe's songs, can't believe all the hate he got for his part.

He got a lot of hate because he was completely miscast and couldn't sing to save his life (I mean, maybe he could have pulled off a Sweeney Tood-like score, but not these songs which are for real singers).
But I agree that it was unfair that HE got all the hate. Jackman who may have something of a voice but massacred all of Valjean's songs.
And it was mostly the director's fault, anyway. Hathaway can sing but they made her gasp and sob instead of singing... And Banks and Redmayne were good but their talent was wasted by horrible filming and "live" singing...

MichaelKrep
06-15-2013, 05:21 PM
It's an instant classic no doubt, but I've seen all Tarantino films multiple times and I think it doesn't compare to his first films because they are totally dlfferent, but it isn't at the level of Inglorious Basterds which is movie more or less in the same style.
I actually think a lot of the Basterds is in the same tone as Pulp Fiction or Jackie Brown, while Django reminded me much more of Kill Bill.

The violence in the Pulp Fiction/Inglorious Basterds/Jackie Brown type of Tarantino film comes generally after a long period of building of tension through dialogue. In the Kill Bill/Django type of film there is some of that on occasion, but they are much more of an archetypal Hollywood action film in that the action sequences are usually protracted and somewhat repetitive.

Not saying either of the two is better (if pressed, I would say that the first one is better, but that's just personal choice), just different tonally and conceptually.

Nr 1 Fan
06-15-2013, 07:02 PM
I actually think a lot of the Basterds is in the same tone as Pulp Fiction or Jackie Brown, while Django reminded me much more of Kill Bill.

The violence in the Pulp Fiction/Inglorious Basterds/Jackie Brown type of Tarantino film comes generally after a long period of building of tension through dialogue. In the Kill Bill/Django type of film there is some of that on occasion, but they are much more of an archetypal Hollywood action film in that the action sequences are usually protracted and somewhat repetitive.

Not saying either of the two is better (if pressed, I would say that the first one is better, but that's just personal choice), just different tonally and conceptually.

You make some good points there. The reason I put Basterds and Django in the same category is because they take place in a 'realistic' world and in both Tarantino tends to rewrite the history books and give it an absurd spin where Pulp Fiction and Reservoir dogs are located in some sort of fictive universe and had a sort of unique atmosphere where he found the perfect balance between brilliant dialogue and explosions of over-the-top violence. And Django I missed that great dialogues a bit, it all felt slightly forced and less spontaneous. It's been a long time since I've seen Jackie Brown, but I remember it as being as being his most ambitious movie, with very creative storytelling.

motorhead
06-15-2013, 07:24 PM
Woman in the Moon (1929) Fritz Lang
Still one of the best science-melodrama movies ever shot to date. a masterpiece. 10/10

Roger the Dodger
06-16-2013, 05:07 PM
The Good The Bad and The Weird - Korean comic adventure curry about hidden treasure (imagine an Asian Indiana Jones). Entertaining.

The Hunt: Dutch drama about purported sexual abuse - riveting and horrifying! Brilliant!

Carnage: Roman Polanski's short Feature based on a play by the same name - interesting concept held together by great performances, within the vicinity of one apartment

Holy Motors: Outstandingly surreal piece of cinema from French auteur Leos Carax. Whatever you make of the film, you will surely enjoy the bizarre ride!

MichaelKrep
06-16-2013, 05:12 PM
Holy Motors: Outstandingly surreal piece of cinema from French auteur Leos Carax. Whatever you make of the film, you will surely enjoy the bizarre ride!
I agree it is an exciting and fresh film. A bit uneven in terms of quality, I think some of the "chapters" were better than others. I don't know if you got the same feeling, but I personally thought the ending was poorly done, as if the director did not know how to end the film. I had the feeling it dragged a bit and the final scene was just too much weirdness. :D

Roger the Dodger
06-16-2013, 06:03 PM
I agree it is an exciting and fresh film. A bit uneven in terms of quality, I think some of the "chapters" were better than others. I don't know if you got the same feeling, but I personally thought the ending was poorly done, as if the director did not know how to end the film. I had the feeling it dragged a bit and the final scene was just too much weirdness. :D

Oh dear, it was open to interpretation of course! It is weirdness but tailed with a logic.

I could tell you mine:HOLY-SHMOLY SPOILER ALERT!!

The whole film is essentially a movie within a movie.

Now, even without knowing so, an interpretation that anybody who watched it twice can at least make is that life is imitating art (in this case,the world of cinema) openly in the movie, with actors performing out in the open in a never-ending series of dramatic acts: that is at least what the corporation "Holy Motors" is. the whole bunch of stretch limos returning after a day's work signifies that a corporation pays actors to act out roles in real life, not inside a theater. Why? Because people want the dramatic life that mimics cinema. And why is this corporation "Holy"? Because it provides everyone a second life in their same life - one that is more dramatic and closer to the life they want - the life of the movies. This is what everyone else who "hires" the actor is paying for.

But the problem people find is that it does not lend in coherently with the few gaping holes if that theory is to be applied singularly. Well, it isn't to be applied in isolation because it does not explain the double-roles, the genuine deaths and the finale of the cars talking to each other. It is such heightened bizarro in the movie that signifies that nothing of what we have been witnessing all along is real, but is in a world where these bizarre things (like the actors coming back to life, and stretch limos talking) can happen repeatedly. And what can be that world within the world? - The world of movies, which creates allowance for such surrealism! It is to explain this logic that Carax slyly uses images of black-and white footage of old motion pictures randomly in the main "outer" movie which shows the same actor reminiscing about 'cinema as it used to be' as he draws the curtain open: movie theaters are long gone and dead in the real movie. What is left is where we are transported to: the impact of cinema in real life of people where everyone is acting all the time! That second part is the movie within the movie which is the bulk of the movie "Holy Motors".

I hope I made sense! :lol:

P.S: I read somewhere that it is Carax's tribute to the world of cinema, so I hope I am right somewhere.

BackhandDTL
06-16-2013, 07:00 PM
This is the End (2013): Hysterical movie.

Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg successfully disregard the boundaries of genre once again.

The commentary on, and perhaps disdain for Hollywood life was subtle but unmistakable.

Watching the comedy troupe play up such notorious perceptions of themselves was fun.

Most of the scenes were clearly improvised, which is perfectly fine when you assemble a cast so seasoned and hilarious.

Despite a loose premise about the apocalypse, and some serious self-referential indulgence, the movie was outstanding, imo. Would recommend it to anyone who doesn't mind obscenities and (at times) gore galore.

cardio
07-03-2013, 09:27 PM
I recently watched Nikita Mihalkov trilogy Burnt by the Sun.(Утомлённые солнцем) First part ( 1994) is very good, slow paced masterpiece.Won foreign movie Oscar too .Reminds me little bit Tarkovski Mirror, but more dialogue and violent ending.

Big budget very long sequels Exodus (Предстояние 2010 ) and Citadel (Цитадель 2011) are utter crap. Cant believe talented director had such a failure and he even didnt realize how dumb it was to resurrect characters who died in the end of the first film. Sequels were described as "pornography of war" and "delirium tremens" by critics and I agree.

If you like Russian films , I recommend 1st part.All 3 parts are available in tube too ( without subtitles though )

http://youtu.be/jNfojEsW1C8

Certinfy
07-03-2013, 09:42 PM
Man of Steel. Good introduction for movies to follow, definitely the best superhero film I've seen in years exc. TDK trilogy.

TheBigFourFTW
07-04-2013, 03:59 AM
Was watching Garbage Pail Kids yesterday. What was I thinking? :facepalm: :sad:

07-04-2013, 10:59 AM
Pirates of Silicon Valley (1999)

Huge jobs and apple mark. Awesome film if you're a nerd. :)

Roger the Dodger
07-06-2013, 06:03 PM
Man of Steel. Good introduction for movies to follow, definitely the best superhero film I've seen in years exc. TDK trilogy.

I felt Man of Steel pales in comparison with other post-millennium superhero adaptations. For me, the Spiderman series had greater entertainment value while the Batman series had more realism when pitted against this new Superman movie.

Nunyabeezwax
07-06-2013, 09:30 PM
Monsters.

Low budget indie sci-fi post apocalyptic romance road movie. It was pretty slow but the ending was good. Giant spider squid monsters mating.

07-07-2013, 01:14 PM
Fast and furious 6

Ok.
Good action scenes, decent enough film

Ivelina_P
07-10-2013, 04:57 AM
Used my 3 free days to watch the entire 3 seasons of The Borgias and WOW.Incradible suspense,beautifully executed,very prominent characters.

one rare 10/10 of TV series especially when it comes to historical ones

Punky
07-10-2013, 05:20 AM
back to the future. loveeeeeeeee it snd its like the 743 time

Ivelina_P
07-11-2013, 04:32 PM
Mary Poppins,do svidania!

watched it with the kids,one of my favourite childhood movies <3

Topspindoctor
07-11-2013, 04:57 PM
21 and over. Epic movie.

Roger the Dodger
07-11-2013, 05:24 PM
back to the future. loveeeeeeeee it snd its like the 743 time

One of my all-time favorites as well. If you love it, you should try Zemeckis' Forest Gump and Castaway too.:D

Gandalf
07-21-2013, 06:49 PM
The Purge.

Not bad, but with that premise it could have been soooo much better.

Time Violation
07-21-2013, 07:38 PM
Oblivion (Tom Cruise, Morgan Freeman), very good, for fans of SF movies. :)

Mr. Oracle
07-22-2013, 02:27 AM
It was fun to revist Michael Bay's Pearl Harbor, a movie so bad it's good. Saw it right after watching the classic Tora Tora Tora. All the cliches are there: the love triangle soap opera, the American hero protagonist who saves the day despite his flaws, the nationalism. It's a formula and it works. Kate "Boom Boom" Beckinsdale is very easy on the eyes. All the stars are handsome. I wish there were more movies with homely looking people :lol:, but those pictures are usually made by small studios who care more about the art of film, and less like a business.

07-22-2013, 03:35 AM
Monsters university

Excellent
Must watch for everyone who is a big kid at heart

abraxas21
07-22-2013, 04:59 AM
world war z

good enough but i'm a sucker for zoombie films

Punky
07-22-2013, 05:07 AM
world war z

good enough but i'm a sucker for zoombie films

i didnt see it but i love zoombie's

Mr. Oracle
07-22-2013, 05:25 AM

Have you seen Terror Planet? I luv it! Coolest zombie flick eva.

Tarrantino's "Death Proof" should be seen as well. Babes kickin' butt big time.

Punky
07-22-2013, 05:33 AM
no i havent but i will write the names and watch them

Ivelina_P
07-22-2013, 04:03 PM
0nVjihYosCA

EverybodyMustWatch/10,GOAT movie

GSMnadal
07-22-2013, 04:47 PM
no i havent but i will write the names and watch them

One tip, search for Planet Terror instead of Terror Planet ;)

Just watched Hotel Rwanda. Almost ashamed to admit that until today, I hadn't seen this movie. Overwhelming and compelling movie. Loved it.

abraxas21
07-22-2013, 05:16 PM

Jerusalem gets destroyed.

Pretty Israeli female solider appears in the film, though.

Punky
07-22-2013, 05:23 PM
thanks to both of u.

i will watch those movies

ProdigyEng
07-22-2013, 05:49 PM
Happy gilmore for like the 1000th time

Nunyabeezwax
07-22-2013, 08:34 PM
The price is wrong, bitch!

Mr. Oracle
07-22-2013, 08:44 PM
One tip, search for Planet Terror instead of Terror Planet ;)

Haha. I get that dyslexia from my mom. My sister and I used to laugh at her for all the stuff she reversed: "kids, lets stop at the walmart and get a ball beach!" :rolls: You must have an over hang etc :lol:

ProdigyEng
07-22-2013, 08:48 PM
The price is wrong, bitch!

Yesssss!

Punky
07-23-2013, 05:37 AM
i saw Matrix 2 with a few friends, it seems i was the onky person that think its a love story..

lots of popcorn were flying into my face after i said it.

its a love story!!!!!!!

some ppl cant hear different opinion:confused:

Topspindoctor
07-23-2013, 05:51 AM
The Olympus Has Fallen, workmate brought it in to watch, said it was quite good. Yet another yank action movie with the apocalypse being averted at the last second by a rambo wannabe. After such a promising beginning too.

Punky
07-23-2013, 05:58 AM
The Olympus Has Fallen, workmate brought it in to watch, said it was quite good. Yet another yank action movie with the apocalypse being averted at the last second by a rambo wannabe. After such a promising beginning too.

the first was great, the second was boring and the Third was just bad

out_here_grindin
07-24-2013, 02:25 AM
from the other thread

I saw Bling Ring yesterday. I had been intrigued by this movie ever since I saw the trailer attached to Spring Breakers.

I've never ran across a movie that made you hate the protagonists more than this movie. None of them have any redeemable qualities. They are all the most spoiled kids imaginable and all they want is things things things. The movie is pure Cali, from Hollywood stars to the beach to Scientology it's really a big condemnation of this lifestyle. It has a similar message to Spring Breakers in that through you see the rottenness through the main characters.

The movie dragged at times. There is a LOT of music montages with our heroes robbing houseafter house. I think the movie could have benefited from a side-plot here and there, maybe something a little extra.

In the end you are left pulling for these kids to get the worst possible punishment they can. And for the most part it delivers in that aspect except for one character who turns out to be a snake, which really is no surprise.

The movie does make you think a bit. Like you hate the main characters for ribbing house after house and collected material goods. But then the houses that they are robbing are full of luxuryand opulence... so you hate the characters of the movie for wanting all these things but the celebrities they are robbing already have these things...should we hate these celebrities then?

buddyholly
07-24-2013, 02:32 AM
Well, no, the celebrities presumably bought them.

I have never liked a Sophie Coppola movie. Lost in Translation was a huge bore. Without her surname the critics would have no time for her.
Her finest moment was when audiences were pissed at her bad acting in Godfather III and cheered when she got gunned down.

Punky
07-24-2013, 05:00 AM
Well, no, the celebrities presumably bought them.

I have never liked a Sophie Coppola movie. Lost in Translation was a huge bore. Without her surname the critics would have no time for her.
Her finest moment was when audiences were pissed at her bad acting in Godfather III and cheered when she got gunned down.

her movies help my sleeping problem :zzz::zzz:

Time Violation
07-24-2013, 09:29 AM

What did you expect? Apocalypse not being averted? You know they need to make a money off the movie, right? :lol:

07-30-2013, 01:11 AM
12 monkeys

One of the most beautifully depressing films I've ever seen

Must watch, brilliant ending

Mr. Oracle
07-30-2013, 02:14 AM
12 monkeys

Madeleine Stowe at her goat-peak :worship:

07-30-2013, 02:35 AM
Madeleine Stowe at her goat-peak :worship:

Oh yes

Punky
07-30-2013, 04:41 AM
12 monkeys

Brad Pitt should have got an Oscar for this movie but he is way pretty I guess..

Ivelina_P
07-30-2013, 04:59 AM
Мы из будущего 2 (2010)

disappointing after the first one
however if someone likes WW2 and fantasy,5/10

BauerAlmeida
07-31-2013, 01:50 AM
"The Wolverine" Not bad but I expected better.

TravelingFanGirl
07-31-2013, 03:53 AM
The last movie I watched was The Heat. I like Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy so I was really looking forward to it! It was pretty consistent with the comedy throughout and I'd watch it again. :yeah:

Snowwy
07-31-2013, 04:16 AM
The last movie I watched was The Heat. I like Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy so I was really looking forward to it! It was pretty consistent with the comedy throughout and I'd watch it again. :yeah:

That was the last movie I saw as well. It was quite good.

Punky
07-31-2013, 05:00 AM

That was the last movie I saw as well. It was quite good.

i was wondering if i should watch it or not but after u2 liked it i will take ur word

ProdigyEng
07-31-2013, 07:08 PM
La Haine

Punky
07-31-2013, 07:13 PM
Joe are u still scared of "the ring"? i told u its not real

Rafador
07-31-2013, 08:31 PM

So it's worth watching it. I was considering it as my next pick. Thanks for mentioning.

Nunyabeezwax
07-31-2013, 09:14 PM
I watched Oblivion last night. I really can't stand Tom Cruise so I was probably already biased against it, but I found it a really bad, poorly written, unoriginal movie. Sci-fi as written by a grade schooler. It had great special effects though, but then again don't most movies these days?

Nunyabeezwax
07-31-2013, 09:16 PM

I find both of those women to be very funny actresses that sometimes find themselves in very unfunny movies. Ms. Congeniality 2 and Identity Thief come to mind. I'm glad to hear it is a funny movie and I think I'll give it a go.

Ivelina_P
08-02-2013, 04:53 AM
Doctor Zhivago (2006)

The best version I have ever seen.

It's actually 11 series with one of my fave actors Oleg Menshikov.Watched it at work :P

Mr. Oracle
08-02-2013, 05:36 AM
Joe are u still scared of "the ring"? i told u its not real

:lol: She is very scary when she comes out of the telervision like that. Spooky :scared:

GSMnadal
08-02-2013, 11:04 AM
:lol: She is very scary when she comes out of the telervision like that. Spooky :scared:

Agreed. Fuck me, that's one scary movie :lol:

Just watched Clash+Wrath of the Titans. Decent, action packed films. Don't expect too much of it and enjoy the special effects.

Federer in 2
08-02-2013, 04:42 PM
Parker - 8/10.

Too much blood for me, and I don't really like Jennifer Lopez, but overall I enjoyed it very much. Jason Statham is pure quality, and his character was great. Worth watching.

juan27
08-02-2013, 05:19 PM
Brad Pitt should have got an Oscar for this movie but he is way pretty I guess..

pitt and dicaprio deserves the oscar since a long time.

but the academy will never recognize them.

even reese whiterspoon won an oscar , I mean , she is a good actress and made a phenomenal performance like june carter cash in "walk the line" , but an oscar?????? no.......like jennifer lawrence too.

Joaquin phoenix it`s pther gret actor and the academy never recognize him.....he deserved much more the oscar for the performance f johnny cash than whiterspoon.

I saw donni darko , GREAT MOVIEEEEE , BURNS YOUR HEAD.

juan27
08-02-2013, 05:33 PM
Used my 3 free days to watch the entire 3 seasons of The Borgias and WOW.Incradible suspense,beautifully executed,very prominent characters.

one rare 10/10 of TV series especially when it comes to historical ones

I am a great fan of The Borgias , amazing show!!! amazing actors and an scenarios.

Fuck showtime for cancell this amazing show

Ivelina_P
08-03-2013, 04:40 AM
Budeferden i Hardanger[Briday Voyage in Hardanger](1926)

a beautiful and not very well known masterpiece of silent cinema

abraxas21
08-03-2013, 04:26 PM

good acting and great film (probably the best film brad pitt has ever been involved in). then again, pitt only had a secondary role

abraxas21
08-03-2013, 04:27 PM
pitt and dicaprio deserves the oscar since a long time.

but the academy will never recognize them.

maybe it's because they mostly make crap movies

buddyholly
08-04-2013, 01:00 AM
The Act of Killing

I am still not sure I believe what I saw.

Ivelina_P
08-04-2013, 04:40 AM
maybe it's because they mostly make crap movies

Or maybe because they aren't all that good.
Terribly overrated actors imo.

OT:Modigliani(2004)

A must watch for anyone who appreciates the work of Picasso and Modigliani.The film itself is very arthistically made with stunning scenery and camera work.Not the most interesting script though,it's what I'd call for "passive watching" since you don't get involved.

emotion
08-04-2013, 04:41 AM
Just saw pacific rim. Fairly good, nothing groundbreaking

lucyfur
08-04-2013, 05:19 AM
Sharknado! The best worst movie ever.

08-04-2013, 10:25 AM
I watched Oblivion last night. I really can't stand Tom Cruise so I was probably already biased against it, but I found it a really bad, poorly written, unoriginal movie. Sci-fi as written by a grade schooler. It had great special effects though, but then again don't most movies these days?

Feel exactly the same way. The plot twist was interesting but.... The rest of the film was very average.
Cruise is getting on
You can definitely see signs of ageing now

Ivelina_P
08-06-2013, 04:24 PM
Breaking Bad S5

preparation for the next season,first ep on 11th August

#SEAL series

Mr. Oracle
08-06-2013, 09:23 PM
Feel exactly the same way. The plot twist was interesting but.... The rest of the film was very average.
Cruise is getting on
You can definitely see signs of ageing now

I forgot about Oblivion. Decided to give it a viewing. I suspected it would be another Battlefield Earth. I was right. No heart. Just Bad. Worse than Jack Reacher. I want my 2 hours back. Remember when we used to rent crappy movies :lol:? Still want my time refunded :lol:

TC had some good performances: Magnolia, Born on 4th July, Tropic Thunder, but the majority of his films are fluff.

Hollywood is more accepting of older male actors, but once TC's boyish charm is gone, he can forget about being a Deniro, Pacino, Day-Lewis etc etc.

Ivelina_P
08-11-2013, 04:33 AM
The Conjuring(2013)

crap movie,nothing original,uninteresting way to unfold an idea

2.5/10(for the actors only)

Noleta
08-11-2013, 04:50 AM
I'm gonna watch The Conjuring tomorrow.:lol::unsure:

out_here_grindin
08-15-2013, 05:49 PM
The Act of Killing

I am still not sure I believe what I saw.

I want to see that. Expand upon what you mean by that.

FormerRafaFan
08-15-2013, 08:36 PM
I think it was Superman MOS. It sucked.

Noleta
08-15-2013, 08:57 PM
CJIXOx2-GZ8

Michael Shannon.:worship:

Goldenoldie
08-15-2013, 09:52 PM
The Heat with Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy.
Hilarious

Deathless Mortal
08-15-2013, 10:00 PM
Disconnect.
Makes you think, although the ending is incomplete IMO.

GSMnadal
08-15-2013, 10:03 PM
BO1WwOQowlg

Now this....this is going to be the best movie of the year

08-18-2013, 09:00 PM
The heat.
The wife loves it, I kinda enjoyed. It. Melissa continues to prove she is the best actress in Hollywood, just amazing from her, love her to bits, and beautiful woman who isn't forced into the typical beanpole female stereotype

Ironman 3

Best superhero film I've ever seen,
Starts off with a bin laden knock off and you think,,,. Omg, here we go with another dumbed down propaganda flick for the dumbed down generation, but, hooray! For suprises
This flick actually dares to show the real world, albeit, a flick of it.
Downey jnr has been my fave actor for 20 years now, this role was made for him but he still excels like bale could only dream of. Ppl say ledgers joker was e best superhero performance, well IMO it doesn't hold a candle to this.
This is exactly how I imagined tony stark the first time I read a comic book when I was bout 6.

I appreciate America is the same nation that teaches it kids ww2 started in 1942 so they don't have to admit they were fine with the holocaust untill Japan attacked them. So obviously they will never show the real world....

Hollywood has always been this big pile of lies and fake shit to make ppl forget their own existence,but the art form has always been able to challenge if a director with talent actually tried
So for that reason for my final review I want to nominate

Graveyard of the fireflies

The last film to make me legitimately cry. On my list of essential cinema.

08-18-2013, 09:03 PM
Essential movies everyone should watch

Graveyard of the fireflies
Memento
City of God
The Shawshank redemption
Goodfellas
The killer

JamieBlake
08-19-2013, 02:44 PM
Pacific Rim: it's okay for adults, watchable, way better than the Transformers shitfest

Ivelina_P
08-19-2013, 03:50 PM
The Wire Seasons 1 and 2

Great series,watched 3-4 in a row at nights

thanks to the MTFer who pointed them out to me :P

Pfloyd
08-19-2013, 09:08 PM
I saw Mulholland Drive, my first experience with David Lynch and it was quite outstanding, complex, funny, weird and smart.

Will probably want to watch Inland Empire, also by Lynch, next time, as these types of movies are quite interesting.

GSMnadal
08-19-2013, 11:10 PM
What I can remember from Mulholland Drive is that I found it very confusing :lol:

Maybe it's due a rewatch

ne znam ali mozda
08-20-2013, 12:48 AM
Lore (2012)

7/10. To learn that director came up with stupid head-game just ruined the movie for me.

mseles1
08-20-2013, 02:28 AM
The Wire Seasons 1 and 2

My personal favourite. Ziggy's ace.

The place beyond the pines - How could they? & little over 40 minutes in. Enjoyed it though & immediately rewatched Mystic river.

Querelle, Goodfellas & Gomorrah. Rewatched all.

Freaks - finally. I've got a thing for the USA, & an obsession for early 20th century America. Loved it. 'One of us' scene is memorable. Similar to hearing the Jaws theme & failing to not remember it everytime 'you' go swimming.

Documentary - When the levees broke. Sad, very sad, but glad I watched it.

Mr. Oracle
08-20-2013, 04:28 AM
What I can remember from Mulholland Drive is that I found it very confusing :lol:

Maybe it's due a rewatch

It breaks my heart when I read bad reviews on amazon by people who do not understand this film, or are frustrated with the non-linear plot. The fact is that the more you watch it, the better it gets. I've seen it probably 20 times and it ranks in my top 5 of all time (I've seen 6 trillion movies). After a few viewings, you'll know exactly which scenes are part of her dream, and what comprises her waking reality. Nolan's "Inception" is a pale knock-off of this movie.

Dreams vs reality

The main character is very conflicted. She's not only beset with guilt for what she done, but she also has hopes and dreams. At night we have little control over what makes up our dreams as the subconscious tries to sort out what we've been up to during the day, sometimes in really bizarre ways! :lol:

On a metaphysical level, dreams are no less real, then waking reality

Pay attention to how the characters she meets in real life, sometimes with just a glance, are recreated in her dreams.

Oh, and remember, there is no rest for the wicked! Be good boy.

latso
08-20-2013, 08:15 AM
Prince avalanche (with Paul Rudd) - do not waste your time. It's perhaps the dumbest, slowest, uninteresting, unrealistic dialogues crap movie i have ever watched.

It's kinda like trying to put a Kerouac novel on screen. It just wouldn't work in a million years, it's two different kinds of art. You can't mime a Shakespeare...

Pain and Gain (the Rock, Mark Wahberg) - being a true story makes it watchable, coz it's just hard to imagine that such things would happen in the real world, the way they happened.
If one doesn't know it's a true story, he might think it's an American movie on a Japanese softcore gore script :lol:

The directing is kinda OK i thought, almost Tarantino style, trying to make it fast in dialogues and actions, in order to reenact the stress and somehow explain the reasons behind all the insane decisions of the protagonists.

I kinda enjoyed it.

Admission (Paul Rudd, Tina Fey) - soft comedy, not a horrible pass time, not a great one either.
Take Tina away and it would be a disaster, but now it's bearable for the soft comedy fans.

Oblivion (Tom Cruise) - i guess the sci-fi fans would appreciate this one, but the objective movie audience probably wouldn't.
I thought it's kind of a mash up of many recent sci-fi ideas, well made in terms of budget and stuff, but if you have anyone else starring it would be a complete dud, not that now it's the most popular movie anyway.
Watchable, not a complete time waste, but don't expect your mind to be blown, despite the attempts...

Spring breakers (James Franco and a bunch of useless starlets) - if it wasn't for Prince avalanche above, i would rank this the crappiest movie i have watched in a decade.
I have no idea where from the 5.6 rating on imdb, just... :facepalm:
You won't see many that unrealistic movies advertising violence in such a stupid way.
It's close to a porno's script, with absolutely no idea what to do in order to put some boobs and butts around, some blood and just....really bad film, really, really bad.

Please someone watch it and share his thoughts coz i'm literally speechless..

The big wedding (Amanda Seyfried (mmm..), De Niro, Heigl, Keaton, Robin Williams, Sarandon, etc.) - This movie has a lower rank at imdb than the Spring breakers? :eek:
This site needs to separate the voters and ratings by continents, srsly... :rolleyes:

It's the inverse situation with the Spring breakers actually - the tittle is horendous and you'd watch it only if there is literally nothing else to watch, but then it's a lot of fun, the cast is fantastic, so they get the maximum out of the script and it's an enjoyable time to spend watching it.
You don't expect much, but you get plenty. Loved it, had a good laugh many times, the crazy situations happening are made absolutely plausible by the cast, so i do recommend this piece of comedy, especially for ppl who enjoy the genre.

Amours et turbulences (Nico Bedos, Ludivine Sagnier) - awesome movie. Loved it.
Perhaps it's not for everyone, it's not a World wide classic, but Bedos' first lead role (if i'm not mistaking) is a revelation imo, Ludivine Sagnier is as nice as usual, the plot is smart, everything is perfect for my taste.

I recommend it very much to French speaking audiences and hopefully the rest would enjoy it as well, it's a very good romantic comedy, perhaps the best one i've watched since L'arnacoeur (also awesome movie btw, Romain Duris and Vanessa Paradis).

motorhead
08-20-2013, 05:40 PM
The Heat with Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy.
Hilarious

I thought it was with De Niro and Al Pacino :eek:

Federer in 2
08-21-2013, 04:52 PM
Seen a few lately. (You might find it weird that I'm only watching some of these now. Just didn't have time in the past to get into all of that).

Parker - 8/10
Taken - 7.5/10
Taken 2 - 6.5/10
Wanderlust - 2/10
Superbad - 2/10
Role Models - 3/10
The Other Guys - 3.5/10
This is 40 - 1/10
Casino Royale - 8/10
Quantum of Solace - 6/10
Bruce Almighty - 5/10
2012 - 7/10
21 Jump Street - 4.5/10

latso
08-22-2013, 09:01 PM
We're the Millers (Jen Anniston, Jason Sudeikis) - top shelf, awesome comedy, with several lolz and fun story.

Loved it, 9/10

09-01-2013, 01:54 AM
R.i.p,d

Shit

(That would have sufficed as a review, however, I will indulge
It's like a poor men in black ripoff
With that horrible actor who... I don't know how he gets work playing will smiths character
And the tron guy, who, admittedly does a good job
Bacon has all the menace of a girls scout cookie seller

The premise is stupid
It doesn't work
Watch it for Maririsa millers jugs (nice, but her angular face needs surgery)

09-01-2013, 01:55 AM
Wife says miss congeniality one and two is awesome

I have. Penis so I abstained from viewing of the film

Mr. Oracle
09-01-2013, 03:32 AM
Dumb and Dumber 2 is coming out! :bounce:

Feel like I won a lottery.

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/kathleen-turner-dumber-and-dumber-to-1200593390/

Ivelina_P
09-01-2013, 04:02 AM
Sherlock Holmes and Dr.Watson

Soviet series from 1976-1986 iirc

best version I've ever seen
UuOcu-5g_2g

Time Violation
09-01-2013, 02:01 PM
R.i.p,d

Shit

(That would have sufficed as a review, however, I will indulge
It's like a poor men in black ripoff

Just watched it yesterday, good enough to pass an evening. MIB suck and this is certainly not worse

Droog
09-01-2013, 02:32 PM
Life of Pi - Visually stunning and emotionally and philosophically engaging.

Mark Lenders
09-01-2013, 08:06 PM
The problem with Life of Pi is that, while visually stunning and a pretty good film on its own, it ommits some bits that made the novel truly a literary epic. Some of them understandably - the scenes depicted were far too 'shocking' to be put into film - others not so much.

For starters, the story with humans is just mentioned in like 5 minutes at the end, when it's actually a key part in the story as anyone who read the book knows - in the film it was basically presented as a footnote at the end. Also, the island part is completely butchered and one of the most emotional bits of the story, when Pi finds another shipwreck survivor on a life raft, who tries to kill him but Richard Parker kills him, is completely ommitted. Not to mention Pi never goes blind (he does in the book), which is an element that added a lot to his struggle. Also ommitted is the most significant moment in Pi and RP's relationship, when the latter makes a noise signaling non-aggression and Pi finally feels in control. I could go on, but the point is that a lot of very significant elements in the story's philosophical and religious strength were either ignored or butchered.

Visually stunning film for sure, and a great one on its own, but it fails to replicate the philosophical depth of Yann Martel's novel imo, it butchers some of the allegoric elements that make the novel such a compelling yet somewhat disturbing read. In other words, Life of Pi the novel is one of the most compelling pieces of literature you'll ever find, the film is just another very good film really.