Help! My forehand is killing me [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Help! My forehand is killing me

TrueTheo364
09-23-2007, 05:55 PM
Hey I'm just wondering if anyone knows how to avoid hand injuries; every time I play tennis my tennis hand gets terrible tendonitis. This is a fairly recent development, it never used to happen but as far as I can tell my game never changed. I am a newbie tennis player (playing for about 1 year) and learned how to play entirely through trial and error.

Here's what I know: The tendons on my tennis hand get pulled every time I hit a forehand (especially my index finger), but don't seem to get stressed when I hit backhands. Interestingly, my forehand is a weak shot with a large amount of topspin, and I can't seem smash forehand hits that should be winners. The only time I can generate good speed on my forehand is when I have to hit a low ball.

However, my backhand has no such problem. I can rip backhand winners with no trouble, while my forehand continues to be a weaker shot and continually pulls my tendons... I use a semi-western grip and am completely out of ideas on how to revamp my forehand. Anyone got any ideas? I'd really appreciate it.

GlennMirnyi
09-24-2007, 02:29 AM
Go get a coach, you'll get a pretty bad injury like that. You shouldn't feel any pulling as you describe. If you do, you're doing something very wrong.

TrueTheo364
09-24-2007, 03:50 AM
I'll look into the coach. I'll have to see if there are any good ones in my area that might be able to help me.

I guess what I'm wondering is if anyone has any ideas why my tendons are being worked so hard?

trixtah
09-24-2007, 08:11 AM
I'll look into the coach. I'll have to see if there are any good ones in my area that might be able to help me.

I guess what I'm wondering is if anyone has any ideas why my tendons are being worked so hard?

You should probably actually ask a doctor, that would be best. Ouch :/

Horatio Caine
09-24-2007, 12:38 PM
Sounds like there is something badly wrong with your technique there...or you're holding the racquet a strange way. You haven't got a particular finger (commonly the index finger) pointing up the racquet handle have you?

GlennMirnyi
09-24-2007, 01:27 PM

Hard to say without actually watching your stroke, but I think you're generating spin with some strange movement, probably the arm or wrist, and that's not exactly how you do it.

TrueTheo364
09-24-2007, 03:48 PM
trixtah: I actually went to a doctor and he said the only thing you can do is ice after playing and wait for the tendons to calm down.

Ljubah: No, I don't have a finger pointing up the racket handle (although I did start playing that way).

Glenn: Since I taught myself to play tennis, it's granted I do some things strangely. I think you are probably pretty close with that guess. Sometimes when I hit the ball I intentionally move the racket with my wrist across the ball to generate spin. While that does give me excellent drop shots when I do it, it also is what hurts my hand the most.

I'm going to go look and see if any coach's have posted something on youtube to help me learn more about forehand strokes, and maybe see what I've done wrong exactly. Thanks everyone

GlennMirnyi
09-25-2007, 03:11 AM
Never use your wrist to put spin on the ball.

TrueTheo364
09-25-2007, 06:54 AM
I checked out youtube and looked at a few videos that tennis coach's have posted and started messing around with my forehand stroke. I eventually found that my problem was mostly because of my keeping my wrist tight during the stroke. When I relax my wrist, I don't feel the pain. I was also constricting my shoulder movement, so freeing that up helps loosen things too.

It also appears that relaxing my wrist during the forehand shot also increases the racket speed by a lot (since when my wrist was tightened it was straining against the forward movement, and now it contributes to it).

Hopefully this knowledge might help someone with the same problem, if anyone else is stupid enough to get themselves hurt like this :D

trixtah
09-25-2007, 09:07 AM
I checked out youtube and looked at a few videos that tennis coach's have posted and started messing around with my forehand stroke. I eventually found that my problem was mostly because of my keeping my wrist tight during the stroke. When I relax my wrist, I don't feel the pain. I was also constricting my shoulder movement, so freeing that up helps loosen things too.

It also appears that relaxing my wrist during the forehand shot also increases the racket speed by a lot (since when my wrist was tightened it was straining against the forward movement, and now it contributes to it).

Hopefully this knowledge might help someone with the same problem, if anyone else is stupid enough to get themselves hurt like this :D

Yeah, I was just about to say--Glenn's advice (and everything he says is) is pretty useless. The wrist is an integral part of your stroke (the last measure of gaining racket head speed). Hopefully you found the solution, using the arm to hit the ball without the rest of your body is poor form. Also, I thought it was your index finger? Oh well, but above all, have fun with tennis :D

TrueTheo364
09-25-2007, 04:53 PM
Yeah, I was just about to say--Glenn's advice (and everything he says is) is pretty useless. The wrist is an integral part of your stroke (the last measure of gaining racket head speed). Hopefully you found the solution, using the arm to hit the ball without the rest of your body is poor form. Also, I thought it was your index finger? Oh well, but above all, have fun with tennis :D

Not my index finger itself, but the index finger's tendon is primarily the one that is so inflamed. I think that's just because the index finger part of the hand tightens more than the other part, so it took most of the strain from holding the wrist in place.

GlennMirnyi
09-25-2007, 05:00 PM

You "open" the wrist and you don't snap it during the stroke, unless you know for sure about what you're doing (you have sufficient timing to know when you can or cannot do that). The spin is generated through the upward-forward movement.

Go back to the kitchen, don't meddle with serious things. Let it to grown men.

alfonsojose
09-25-2007, 08:25 PM

Did u mean "only" your wrist, rigth? :unsure:

TrueTheo364
09-25-2007, 10:55 PM
If you do things properly, your wrist should snap with every stroke. The reason why I got hurt was trying to stop that...

scarecrows
09-25-2007, 10:59 PM

http://www.ateaseweb.com/mb/style_emoticons/default/no.gif

GlennMirnyi
09-26-2007, 02:08 AM
Did u mean "only" your wrist, rigth? :unsure:

http://www.ateaseweb.com/mb/style_emoticons/default/no.gif

Exactly. Like, you see a lot of beginners putting spin just with the wrist, without doing a complete swing, usually way after the ball has passed the right place to hit. That's what I mean.

trixtah
09-26-2007, 07:02 AM
Exactly. Like, you see a lot of beginners putting spin just with the wrist, without doing a complete swing, usually way after the ball has passed the right place to hit. That's what I mean.

The make it clear without resorting to ad hominem arguments and useless logic, chump. Please, 21 is a "grown man?" Laughable--we're talking about tennis here but if you want to compare knowledge, I'll bite. Join me at UCLA medschool sometime, I'll show you around.

Quoted twice for good measure

By the way, I think you're complete bullshit. How does "never put spin on the ball with your wrist" become "don't use your wrist to put spinon the ball after the ball passes the strike zone without completing your swing." That isn't even sound advice in itself. I hope you realize that Scarecrows' emoticon is the "no" emoticon.

@the Original Poster, since you found the problem already though, good on you. Pick and choose what advice you follow around here carefully :p

klinsi
10-19-2007, 12:13 AM
Most problem with beginners learning forehand is the position of the wrist....too many beginners snap their wrist forward to hit the ball. Sure, acomplished players will use the wrist in different ways to hit the ball, but FUNDAMENTALLy, beginners need to keep the wrist firm. Tennis elbow and other wrist/arm injuries come from bad technique...Learn the correct fundamental...you'll be injury free. By the way, if you have bad habit with your wrist, you might want to check out this tip http://www.tennisracketbracket.com/tennis_tips_drills.shtml Go to the forehand link...good luck

klinsi
10-21-2007, 06:52 PM
bad techniques always leads to injuries. Most common thing to do for beginners on the forehand is to actually snap the wrist forward. Remember, your body should swing your arm instead of your arm swinging the racket

klinsi
02-23-2009, 09:50 PM
bad technique will do that to you...learn the correct way