How can i perfect my flat serve? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

How can i perfect my flat serve?

damalujordan
09-08-2007, 02:10 AM
How can i perfect my flat serve? I am not sure how to stand properly. What should the ball toss and racket positioning be like. I am trying to use Roddick's serving motion. It used to work out pretty well but its not working anymore. My major problem is that my serve is not accurate. What can i do to increase my accuracy? Please help me out. Thanks in advance.

sodman12
09-08-2007, 11:21 PM
How can i perfect my flat serve? I am not sure how to stand properly. What should the ball toss and racket positioning be like. I am trying to use Roddick's serving motion. It used to work out pretty well but its not working anymore. My major problem is that my serve is not accurate. What can i do to increase my accuracy? Please help me out. Thanks in advance.

Dont hit so hard

Kolya
09-09-2007, 07:23 AM
Please don't copy Roddick's serve :p Jokes... but its a weird action.

He the ball out in front and snap the wrist at impact.

Matchu
09-09-2007, 10:29 AM

You will never have complete perfection of the flat serve but you can always improve it. For the stance you should have your back foot facing the same way as the baseline and your front foot facing the umpire's chair. The ball toss should be thrown out the right to hit a flat serve, also keep a continental grip on the racquet, at the point of impact you should be hitting down on the ball or rather snapping down on it by using your wrist. I'm guessing when you hit the flat serve you just hit it as hard as you possibly can, this is not plausable when you are trying to acheive accuracy for a down the T shot your ball toss should be thrown slightly more to the left then if you were going to hit it in the middle of the service box, the opposite is done when you are going out wide the ball is thrown more to the right. Just like Roddick I think you will have to slow down the serve to acheive the kind of accuracy that I think you want, also if you ever try to serve volley make sure you realise that you give yourself enough time to actually get the service line before you hit the volley.

damalujordan
09-12-2007, 12:22 AM
You will never have complete perfection of the flat serve but you can always improve it. For the stance you should have your back foot facing the same way as the baseline and your front foot facing the umpire's chair. The ball toss should be thrown out the right to hit a flat serve, also keep a continental grip on the racquet, at the point of impact you should be hitting down on the ball or rather snapping down on it by using your wrist. I'm guessing when you hit the flat serve you just hit it as hard as you possibly can, this is not plausable when you are trying to acheive accuracy for a down the T shot your ball toss should be thrown slightly more to the left then if you were going to hit it in the middle of the service box, the opposite is done when you are going out wide the ball is thrown more to the right. Just like Roddick I think you will have to slow down the serve to acheive the kind of accuracy that I think you want, also if you ever try to serve volley make sure you realise that you give yourself enough time to actually get the service line before you hit the volley.

Thank you. This information helped me quite a bit. I have 2 rackets and when my main racket's strings snapped i used my spare. my spare has a string tension of 63 and my main had 57. When i used my spare racket, my accuracy increased but my power decreased only a little bit. I liked that tension but before i used it i told them to string at 54 tension because i wanted more power. Next time my strings snap, ill probably string my main to 62. do you think this will help? My main is a Head Liquidmetal 4 and my spare is a head radical flexpoint. The only problem is that the spare is a bit heavy and i have a sprained rotator cuff so its hard to hit with a lot of power.

jazar
09-12-2007, 08:28 PM
use the right grip, dont put your ball toss too far either side

celia
09-13-2007, 03:44 AM
The toss is crucial. To hit with spin, you want the toss to be closer to your body. To hit flat, toss more to the front on the right side. Also, don't toss too high -- just enough to reach up and hit the ball. How hard you hit it is irrelevant IMO if you have the perfect toss. Also, don't throw the ball up in the air but release it from your fingertips. As you hit down, move into the court so you have the option to volley.