Metz 07 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Metz 07

higherlaw
09-06-2007, 02:25 PM
:devil: i'm bored with no arnaud news, so here's some interesting data to ponder :

as ao singles runner up in 2001, arnaud won us$231,444; this year gonzales won $502,280.

as 2007 wimbledon doubles winner, he won $222,770 and in 2001 the wimbledon doubles winners jared palmer and donald johnson won $144,772

Marine
09-06-2007, 09:06 PM
We know why the tickets are so expansive :(

Kezzi
09-07-2007, 08:08 PM
Yeah, someone has to pay the 'prize' :(

higherlaw
09-08-2007, 12:13 PM
that's right, and the fans will pay for the extra $1million roger will get on sunday...

anyone going to metz?

Via
09-10-2007, 06:13 AM
hey! i'm back.

the new atp 1000/500 series are meant to deliver even more prize money. and i reckon more revenue for the tournaments, more pay for mr disney etc. i wonder how much tickets will go up at this side of the world. or perhaps our free-to-air tv will stop showing tennis altogether if they're pricing themselves out of our reach :shrug:

higherlaw
09-11-2007, 10:44 AM
i started this thread because surely we have some off topic type off stuff to discuss. anybody? :yawn:

it can be about arnaud.

Kezzi
09-11-2007, 08:39 PM
Don't know if this is really off topic, but:
Has anyone been to the Marseille tournament?
I'm thinking of going, because I liked the city so much and tennistournaments are always fun ;)
But I don't want Bruno and Arnaud to think we're stalking them, Rotterdam is just the week after, so 'not seeing them for a long time' isn't a reason to travel there. With more than 6 months between outdoor and indoor tournaments in my 'area', another week doesn't make the difference.

What do you all think?

Via
09-11-2007, 10:05 PM
I'm thinking of going, because I liked the city so much and tennistournaments are always fun ;)
But I don't want Bruno and Arnaud to think we're stalking them, Rotterdam is just the week after, so 'not seeing them for a long time' isn't a reason to travel there. With more than 6 months between outdoor and indoor tournaments in my 'area', another week doesn't make the difference.

What do you all think?

who do they think they are... if they go to tournaments that i go to, then i'm stalking them? :lol:

just go if you think you'll enjoy it ;)

Via
09-11-2007, 10:08 PM
i started this thread because surely we have some off topic type off stuff to discuss. anybody? :yawn:

it can be about arnaud.

sorry to bore you with my favourite 'mr disney' discussions ;)

how about... when will that arnaud find a real girl friend, and settle down?? that old man is pushing 30.....:baby:

Kezzi
09-12-2007, 05:57 PM
who do they think they are... if they go to tournaments that i go to, then i'm stalking them? :lol:

just go if you think you'll enjoy it ;)
Yeah, but they know we're from Holland, that's why I was thinking about that. They recognize us just from seeing us at a few tournaments, guess that's the positive and at the same time the negative side of being a twin. They even greet us first, that's very nice, but on the other hand there's no chance that they won't notice us :p
Maybe I should just mention that we fly with Ryanair, it's just as expensive to go to Marseille as to go to Halle for me.
You can google the distance from my hometown Roermond, there's quite a difference ;)

I think it would be nice to go there for the tournament, after my holiday I'm just in love with Marseille and even more with Aix, I'm recommending it to everyone :D

Kezzi
09-12-2007, 05:59 PM

how about... when will that arnaud find a real girl friend, and settle down?? that old man is pushing 30.....:baby:
'mr disney' discussions? I don't get it :p

Don't know, maybe he watched Sex and the City and thought he would be just as cool as them being 30 and single :tape:

Marine
09-12-2007, 08:41 PM
'mr disney' discussions? I don't get it :p

Don't know, maybe he watched Sex and the City and thought he would be just as cool as them being 30 and single :tape:

mr disney :confused: Sorry did I miss something ?

Kezzi
09-12-2007, 08:49 PM
Well, I think I know who mr Disney is, but I don't know what those discussions are.
Mr Disney is (as far as I know) Etienne de Villiers, ATP Chairman and President.

Via
09-12-2007, 10:59 PM
hey! i'm back.

the new atp 1000/500 series are meant to deliver even more prize money. and i reckon more revenue for the tournaments, more pay for mr disney etc. i wonder how much tickets will go up at this side of the world. or perhaps our free-to-air tv will stop showing tennis altogether if they're pricing themselves out of our reach :shrug:
that was my original 'mr disney' post... sorry to higherlaw that i am now forced to post it again! :p

Yeah, but they know we're from Holland, that's why I was thinking about that. They recognize us just from seeing us at a few tournaments, guess that's the positive and at the same time the negative side of being a twin. They even greet us first, that's very nice, but on the other hand there's no chance that they won't notice us :p
Maybe I should just mention that we fly with Ryanair, it's just as expensive to go to Marseille as to go to Halle for me.
You can google the distance from my hometown Roermond, there's quite a difference ;)

I think it would be nice to go there for the tournament, after my holiday I'm just in love with Marseille and even more with Aix, I'm recommending it to everyone :D
kezzi :eek: :eek: no wonder! i don't think you ever told us, your sister is your twin !!!!! no wonder you are easy to spot! arnaud and bruno are almost twins themselves :p that's a great idea, you take bruno and your sister takes arnaud :angel: :devil: :yeah:

higherlaw
09-13-2007, 02:04 AM

oh no! i just though we could move onto another issue than prize money and the price of tickets! sorry, i wasn't meaning to be insensitive.

possibly arnaud has a girlfiend hidden away somewhere?

yes, i think you should go. i know people who attend several north american tournaments in a row, so i'm sure that players see the same spectators (twins or not) often. anyway, without the help of you and your sister, arnaud has no prize money!

that was my original 'mr disney' post... sorry to higherlaw that i am now forced to post it again! :p

kezzi :eek: :eek: no wonder! i don't think you ever told us, your sister is your twin !!!!! no wonder you are easy to spot! arnaud and bruno are almost twins themselves :p that's a great idea, you take bruno and your sister takes arnaud :angel: :devil: :yeah:

thanks for making this a successful thread!

i like your idea, via! kezzi... go for us:D

Kezzi
09-14-2007, 08:46 PM

I didn't? Usually everyone knows about my sister :p
She isn't on mtf a lot, but her username is Catchie. Maybe you'll spot her here someday, if she ever gets back online. I'm the one who's online a lot, so she's compensating by being offline a lot :lol:

I think my sister will agree with that, she's the Arnaud fan and I'm a fan of Bruno a little more :p Hopefully they don't read here, because I think it's weird to like the coach more, but on the other hand I think they already know that :o :p
I already guessed they were almost twins, it looks like they are really close :D

It was also fun to meet the Bryans in Rotterdam. They were very nice, they said they don't meet twins at tournaments. Good for us, because they were happy to take a picture with the four of us and that was our goal :lol:
It was also funny to see how they react the same apart from eachother. First Bob talked to us a little and asked if we also are identical twins, the answer is no, so Bob's reaction: 'Really?? :eek:' and after we told Mike, he made exactly the same face and also said that :rolls:
I was wearing my glasses at that time, so I took them off on purpose, but now I have contacts. People say I should wear my glasses again, so it's easier to tell us apart ;)

Kezzi
09-14-2007, 08:56 PM
oh no! i just though we could move onto another issue than prize money and the price of tickets! sorry, i wasn't meaning to be insensitive.

possibly arnaud has a girlfiend hidden away somewhere?

yes, i think you should go. i know people who attend several north american tournaments in a row, so i'm sure that players see the same spectators (twins or not) often. anyway, without the help of you and your sister, arnaud has no prize money!

thanks for making this a successful thread!

i like your idea, via! kezzi... go for us:D
That's true, giving Arnaud his prize money is a good reason to go ;)

I really want to go and book early, because then the plane is still very inexpensive. But I have to wait and see when I have to do my internship for graduation. It starts around the same time, so hopefully not in the same week.
And ofcourse I like the idea too ;) I'm only not so happy about the age difference of 11 years :p And for my sister and Arnaud, then you will know where he's hiding the girl :lol:

higherlaw
09-24-2007, 01:36 PM
That's true, giving Arnaud his prize money is a good reason to go ;)

I really want to go and book early, because then the plane is still very inexpensive. But I have to wait and see when I have to do my internship for graduation. It starts around the same time, so hopefully not in the same week.
And ofcourse I like the idea too ;) I'm only not so happy about the age difference of 11 years :p And for my sister and Arnaud, then you will know where he's hiding the girl :lol:

Any news if you are you going to go? We have questions #1 and #2 for you...

Kezzi
09-25-2007, 04:13 PM
I get the date for my internship tomorrow, so hopefully I can go :)
And I will take the questions with me if I go :D

higherlaw
09-27-2007, 04:27 PM
I get the date for my internship tomorrow, so hopefully I can go :)
And I will take the questions with me if I go :D

and...??? what's the date???

Kezzi
09-28-2007, 06:54 PM
11 february...ofcourse :rolleyes: :fiery:

But there's a small chance that it will be a week later, because they planned it in the same week where we get the opportunity to redo the tests we failed. So with some luck they'll move the internship to the week after and I'll just have to do my very best to pass all the tests at once :)
(Ofcourse I was the first one to mention this double planning to the teachers :lol: )

higherlaw
09-29-2007, 12:09 PM
ok, metz is finally here! draw is tonight.

edit: and it's done:

[1] ROBREDO, Tommy (ESP) vs MAYER, Florian (GER)
CLEMENT, Arnaud (FRA) vs SEPPI, Andreas (ITA)
QUALIFIER vs GROSJEAN, Sebastien (FRA)
KOUBEK, Stefan (AUT) vs [6] SIMON, Gilles (FRA)

Hangdog
09-29-2007, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the draw!
Well, I'd say he'll hardly go farer than a quarterfinal in singles so I can leave now being a bit calmer... lol

Salut :wavey:

Via
09-29-2007, 10:56 PM
thanks higherlaw!

hmm... there isn't anyone he really cant beat in that quarter, is there? irina, maybe his luck will turn here :devil:

:p

Anne-Claire
09-30-2007, 11:31 AM

What do you all think?

Hi Kezzy,

Last year, I did Marseille and Rotterdam in a row! So, Marseille tournament has nothing to do with Rotterdam. It's an awful indoor tournament where you can do nothing and can't meet the players (execpt if you want to wait after them outside at the players entrance)BUT, if you are more interested in the city of Marseille that the tournament itsef, it's great to go as you can do both visiting and tennis. But don't go there just for the tournament. Rotterdam is definately the best indoor of the season (far better than Paris Bercy :)

:wavey:

Kezzi
10-01-2007, 09:12 PM
Hi Kezzy,

Last year, I did Marseille and Rotterdam in a row! So, Marseille tournament has nothing to do with Rotterdam. It's an awful indoor tournament where you can do nothing and can't meet the players (execpt if you want to wait after them outside at the players entrance)BUT, if you are more interested in the city of Marseille that the tournament itsef, it's great to go as you can do both visiting and tennis. But don't go there just for the tournament. Rotterdam is definately the best indoor of the season (far better than Paris Bercy :)

:wavey:
Thanks for the advice ;)
I like the city a lot too, so I would already go just for that.
But I also don't have a problem to wait for players outside at the entrance, that gives a concert-like feel to it, I do that sometimes at concerts here in Holland :lol:
But if you go outside, can you also get inside again?

Anne-Claire
10-01-2007, 10:26 PM
But if you go outside, can you also get inside again?

Good question, you can go outside and then get inside whenever you want and as many times you need, they just put a stamp! Actually, you have to go outside to go the the second court (2nd court is in a tiny stadium next to the big one) and when you're in the big stadium, there is no way to know the score on the 2nd court so you have to go outside and check the score by yourself. Really annonying when you're waiting for a match on the 2nd court..... but you're right, the city itself worth the trip :) Marseille is not too cold on February so you can wait at the player's entrance without freezing lol and there are few people waiting, so players are accessible ;)

Via
10-02-2007, 10:44 PM
:eek: no one has noticed?
Andreas Seppi def. Arnaud Clement, 6-2, 6-4

there goes... so much for his relaxed prep! now irina should be happy! :p

higherlaw
10-03-2007, 02:20 PM
:eek: no one has noticed?
Andreas Seppi def. Arnaud Clement, 6-2, 6-4

there goes... so much for his relaxed prep! now irina should be happy! :p

i noticed and i think this: :p. as i always say...they still have doubles!

Kezzi
10-04-2007, 10:52 PM
Good question, you can go outside and then get inside whenever you want and as many times you need, they just put a stamp! Actually, you have to go outside to go the the second court (2nd court is in a tiny stadium next to the big one) and when you're in the big stadium, there is no way to know the score on the 2nd court so you have to go outside and check the score by yourself. Really annonying when you're waiting for a match on the 2nd court..... but you're right, the city itself worth the trip :) Marseille is not too cold on February so you can wait at the player's entrance without freezing lol and there are few people waiting, so players are accessible ;)
I noticed this summer that the stadium of OM looks a lot nicer than the Palais de Sports, so I guess that isn't the 2nd court? :lol:

And it's good to know we won't freeze outside, but maybe if we did, Arnaud and Bruno will buy us hot chocolate :p

Kezzi
10-04-2007, 10:53 PM
i noticed and i think this: :p. as i always say...they still have doubles!
That's also what I always think :yeah:

Anne-Claire
10-05-2007, 10:04 AM
I noticed this summer that the stadium of OM looks a lot nicer than the Palais de Sports, so I guess that isn't the 2nd court? :lol:

Yes, the "velodrome" (OM's stadium) is really close to the palais des sports! But, for the 2nd court, you'll see how small and bad it's lol

Anne-Claire
10-05-2007, 10:09 AM
Mika and Arnaud won their double yesterday vs Canas&Lapenti, 11/9 at the super tiebreak! Their match started around midnight....

higherlaw
10-05-2007, 01:08 PM
...and ended after 1:30am!! :rolleyes:

Today:
Agustin CALLERI (ARG)/Jurgen MELZER (AUT) vs Arnaud CLEMENT (FRA)/Michael LLODRA (FRA)

higherlaw
10-06-2007, 08:44 PM
today's result:
[2] A Clement (FRA) / M Llodra (FRA) d [4] J Benneteau (FRA) / N Mahut (FRA) 63 63

into the finals tomorrow vs. [3] M Fyrstenberg (POL) / M Matkowski (POL)

Kezzi
10-06-2007, 08:56 PM
The final! :woohoo:
Good luck guys! :bounce:

Marine
10-06-2007, 09:37 PM
WHAT A GOOD DAY :D

Bravo arnaud, bravo micka, (and bravo les bleussssssssssssss :worship:)

kukka
10-07-2007, 01:21 PM
How great that Arnaud & Mika won the final! :D Allez!!!:dance: :inlove:

Elina

Kezzi
10-07-2007, 06:27 PM
Congrats Arno & Mika!!!! :banana: :bounce: :woohoo:

Via
10-07-2007, 11:14 PM
congrats indeed :D

Truc
10-08-2007, 08:08 AM
In his audio interview here: http://www.fft.fr/open-de-moselle/2007/?id=3113 , Arnaud explains it's *almost* sure for Shanghai, it would take an unbelievable set of circumstances for them not to qualify now. He doesn't explain which kind of circumstances exactly. I don't understand at all how it works...
So I'm sorry for the wrong information last time, Mika really seemed to say at the beginning of the week it's now a lock and they need to get ready for Shanghai.

Truc
10-08-2007, 08:12 AM
Mika showing his interception skills - he better played a good volley because 90% of the court must have been wide open for the "passing shot":
(Pics from http://sport.republicain-lorrain.fr/ )

Via
10-08-2007, 09:42 AM
In his audio interview here: http://www.fft.fr/open-de-moselle/2007/?id=3113 , Arnaud explains it's *almost* sure for Shanghai, it would take an unbelievable set of circumstances for them not to qualify now. He doesn't explain which kind of circumstances exactly. I don't understand at all how it works...
So I'm sorry for the wrong information last time, Mika really seemed to say at the beginning of the week it's now a lock and they need to get ready for Shanghai.
didn't somebody mention i should read the atp rules? :p
all this is so confusing anyway... but somehow i think because arnaud is the meticulous one so he should be more accurate at those interpretations :lol:

wouldn't it be great if richard qualifies for the singles too... hasn't been a while since france has a strong representation at the finals right?? or did fabrice/mika qualify in past years?

Mika showing his interception skills - he better played a good volley because 90% of the court must have been wide open for the "passing shot":
i suppose arnaud's glasses are unbreakable... so he seemed to protect his elsewhere in this crucial moment :tape:

higherlaw
10-08-2007, 02:08 PM

thanks for the pictures.

I copied the rule book info here:
B. Entries
1) Selection List. The Selection List for the event shall be:
a) The top 7 teams in the Stanford ATP Doubles Race as of the Monday after the last
ATP Tournament of the calendar year; followed by
b) Up to 2 Grand Slam winners of that year, in order of their positions, positioned
between 8 and 20 in the Stanford ATP Doubles Race as of that Monday; followed
by
c) Players positioned 8 and below in the Stanford ATP Doubles Race as of that
Monday.

my interpretation of the above is that the top seven teams qualify. then they move on the the GS winners (maximum of two). then teams ranked #8 and below. they pick more than eight so there are alternates available.

since Aspelin and Knowle (#5) are the only other GS winners who haven't qualified yet, it seems arnaud and mika will make it. anyway, that's just my interpretation....:rolleyes:

Kezzi
10-08-2007, 05:58 PM
thanks for the pictures.

B. Entries
a) The top 7 teams in the Stanford ATP Doubles Race as of the Monday after the last
b) Up to 2 Grand Slam winners of that year, in order of their positions, positioned
by
Monday.

my interpretation of the above is that the top seven teams qualify. then they move on the the GS winners (maximum of two). then teams ranked #8 and below. they pick more than eight so there are alternates available.

since Aspelin and Knowle (#5) are the only other GS winners who haven't qualified yet, it seems arnaud and mika will make it. anyway, that's just my interpretation....:rolleyes:
I also thought it works that way :scratch:
But maybe they just need to make the rules more clear. I'm studying law and when we have unclear things like this, people can get in serious trouble with rules :p In theory, because I'm not practising law yet, just study out of books for now ;)

Kezzi
10-08-2007, 06:37 PM
:lol: @ Arno's face :p

Kezzi
10-08-2007, 06:41 PM
didn't somebody mention i should read the atp rules? :p
all this is so confusing anyway... but somehow i think because arnaud is the meticulous one so he should be more accurate at those interpretations :lol:

wouldn't it be great if richard qualifies for the singles too... hasn't been a while since france has a strong representation at the finals right?? or did fabrice/mika qualify in past years?

i suppose arnaud's glasses are unbreakable... so he seemed to protect his elsewhere in this crucial moment :tape:
:haha:

Via
10-08-2007, 11:02 PM
thanks for the pictures.

B. Entries
by
Monday.

thanks higherlaw :yeah:

i suppose arnaud and mika do not intend to visit shanghai for photo opportunities, so just in case aspelin and knowle drop out of top 8 or something like that... they would want to qualify at least at the 8th spot :scratch:

(though i guess the photo shoot would be very interesting :) )

higherlaw
10-10-2007, 01:25 AM
I also thought it works that way :scratch:
But maybe they just need to make the rules more clear. I'm studying law and when we have unclear things like this, people can get in serious trouble with rules :p In theory, because I'm not practising law yet, just study out of books for now ;)

Having not read the rules before, I thought they would automatically make it in if they were in the top 20 no matter what...seems like they will at this point, anyway.

you're studying to be a lawyer, good for you! yup, interpretation keeps lawyers paid :devil: !